Newest state where Obama’s approval is underwater: Connecticut

posted at 6:55 pm on September 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

He won there in 2008 by 22 points, but no worries, Democrats. He still leads Romney there today — by, er, two points. Look on the bright side: If fully 100 percent of the public said that the economy stinks instead of the 90 percent who say it now, it might be a dead heat.

You know who this poll benefits? Ahem:

Obama’s poor showing in Connecticut is mostly a function of his own unpopularity. Despite having won it by 23 points in 2008 his approval numbers are now under water at 48/49. That represents a 17 point net shift in the wrong direction since PPP last polled the state in March- at that time Obama’s approval was a positive 55/39 spread. The decline has come because he’s unpopular with independents (41/53) and also because an unusually high 20% of Democrats disapprove of the job he’s doing.

Romney’s favorability is 41/42, not great numbers but better than he is doing in most states. In the head to head with Obama he takes independents by 12 points at 48-36 and gets crossover support from 14% of Democrats while losing just 9% of the Republican vote.

The competitiveness in Connecticut is limited to Romney. Against the rest of the Republican field Obama leads by double digits- it’s 12 points against Rick Perry at 53-41, 13 against Ron Paul at 51-38, 16 against Newt Gingrich at 54-38, and 19 against Michele Bachmann at 55-36.

That boldface line is haunting. Suddenly I feel like I’m in a store with the salesman pushing something on me that I don’t want but dropping the price to an almost irresistible degree. “Why, no, I’m not in the market for a Romneybot 4000, thanks. What’s that? Fifty percent off? That’s tempting, but — What? Seventy percent off? Well, you’ve given me something to — Come again? Ninety percent off?” We’re getting the electoral equivalent of 90 percent off on the price of Connecticut next year. All we have to do is … order the Romneybot. Dude?

Here’s Krauthammer from last night’s “Special Report,” daring to utter the magical word “landslide.” Meanwhile, because I feel like I owe you some end-of-the-week giggles on Friday afternoon, dive into this Times story about Obama’s “new route” to re-election. Axelrod’s already figured out a way to win even if they lose Ohio. All O has to do is win some purple states, including a repeat of his shocking 2008 performance in Virginia and North Carolina. Piece of cake. His job approval in Virginia at last check, by the way? 40/54. His job approval in North Carolina? 40/54. Click the image to watch.

Comments

I question these Socialist Insecurity Numbers.

Christien on September 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Connecticans do value nice hair

hisfrogness on September 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I wonder when Obama will announce he is not running again. He had better do it before December to give the Dems enough time to try and salvage their party.

portlandon on September 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Republicans can draw no hope from these polls. Just because certain liberal demographics don’t approve of his handling, doesn’t mean they don’t approve of him, it doesn’t mean they don’t approve of his general ideology, and it certainly does not presage that they won’t vote for him. Indeed, more often than not, the disapproval with Obama among liberals is that his liberal efforts have been half-measures only. Their disillusionment with Obama is only equaled, and perhaps exceeded, by their fear and loathing of the alternative.

keep the change on September 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I just emailed this link to my friends in Connecticut. I’m waiting to hear what they have to say.

predator on September 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I don’t understand how anyone who values prosperity and liberty could still “approve” of the actions of this destructive POS.

The fact that his approval is above the teens should concern everyone.

IronDioPriest on September 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Dude, you really rival Iowahawk some days. Nice work.

Kataklysmic on September 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

The problem for “Bev” Perdue in North Carolina is straight ticket voting. “Bev” Perdue is going to lose there, so shall Barack. Democrat voters are too lazy to actually fill out a ballot (which is why the democrats made sure local races were part of the straight ticket vote). Only the base-iest of the base will vote a straight ticket there.

Come next year, watch Wake County (home of Raleigh) and the margin in the Triad area. If Barack loses Wake, he loses North Carolina.

SouthernGent on September 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Trust me, I live in Connecticut: Romney won’t win here. Republicans DON’T win here. The only reason Linda McMahon has a chance in the Senate race next year is the possibility that the Donks might actually split their votes between Lieberman (I) and “Not Lieberman” (D). Romney will not win here. The people here will still vote for Obama. That may sound sad, insane, even demented, but it’s the sad reality of Connecticut’s electorate: Most folks here are either government dependents in one form or another; welfare, SS, state or federally employed OR union drones dependent on Dems for EVERYTHING.

Don’t stick Connecticut on any wish lists. It’s not gonna happen.

It also doesn’t help that even the few remaining free laborers in this state still break for the Dems at a suicidal clip.

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

WOW…

Second look at mandate romney?

TimeTraveler on September 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

If Republicans try to win Connecticut, they might as well try to win the South side of Chicago.

pedestrian on September 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

portlandon on September 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

You saw it yesterday when Biden decided to start telling the truth. Barry steps down, Biden runs.

Knucklehead on September 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Linda McMahon! I was really rooting for her last year. I hope 2012 is better.

El_Terrible on September 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Ad of the day: Who supports Rick Perry?

Romney takes the gloves off at Perry

Spathi on September 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Gee lets sell our souls when we don’t have to, just so Krauthammer can say we had a landslide. We don’t need to win the blue states to win, we just need to win the red and a few purple.

txmomof6 on September 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Dude, you really rival Iowahawk some days. Nice work.

Kataklysmic on September 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It was good work. Out here in Cali, during the 80s, there was a scam that gained popularity that involved people driving around in vans and offering hugely discounted savings on popular electronic gear. I was at a gas station and one such van was there. The driver approached me with a story about how this studio went under and now he just needs to get rid of all this gear. I recognized some speakers. They were high-end speakers. He says they’re 400 bucks each retail, but he’d give them to me for 150. I told him I only had 100 on me and, after some hesitation, he agreed to part with one for 100. But then I said “Well, what am I supposed to do with one speaker?” So, finally, he sells me the pair for 100 bucks.

I felt great. What a bargain. I got home and hooked them up and one of the speakers was blown.

Romney is a blown speaker.

hisfrogness on September 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Chumpbot! Chumpbot!

Christien on September 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

The fact that his approval is above the teens should concern everyone.

IronDioPriest on September 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Just remember who’s doing the polling. They’re going to skew it as best they can to favor Obama, or at the very least, make it not look as bad as it is. Also…what are Obama’s internals? I’m hearing it more often now, that it’s believed, they are REALLY bad.

capejasmine on September 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

This is my dream come true: New Dealism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is being defeated on its merits.

Thank you, John McCain.

PattyJ on September 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Call me crazy but I don’t think Obama will be on the ticket. The dude is in a huge hole and ALL he knows (or will learn) to do is dig harder and faster. HE. WILL. NOT. IMPROVE. Eventually, someone/group is gonna say get out. He has not hit bottom…the more he talks (which he will) the lower is numbs will go.
Go ahead…call me insane…

winston on September 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Barry and David continue to live in a bubble where everything is just fine. Leave them there. November 2012 will be that much sweeter.

Pretty bad when you run for re-election and it’s ANYONE BUT BHO!

GarandFan on September 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Romneybot.

I know it didn’t originate here, but this teh funny.

Romneybot Romneybot Romneybot Romneybot Romneybot.

OK, fun’s over.

fiatboomer on September 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

hisfrogness on September 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Someone pulled up in a van and tried to sell me used electronic equipment in South Pasadena in 2005…in a Godfather’s Pizza parking lot no less! Hmmmmm…..Cain working for Romney!? /

Kataklysmic on September 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

CW on September 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

We’re (the right) all Hitlers now. Time Ragazine is sure to declare it soon.

predator on September 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Linda McMahon! I was really rooting for her last year. I hope 2012 is better.

El_Terrible on September 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I think she’s actually got a shot, provided 2012 doesn’t end up a reverse 2006, when Republican voters here spurned their own candidate and voted Lieberman to keep Ned Lamont out of the Senate.

Schlesinger was a weak candidate with no traction and the prospect of Ned Lamont running amok in the Senate motivated a lot of us to go so far as to sign the petition to get Lieberman on the ballot.

Dems…I believe there’s a really good chance they’ll split the vote just to “punish” Lieberman, then wait it out and run “Whothehellever”(D) in 2018 to unseat her.

The Senate race is, pretty much, the only reason I have to go to the polls next year, but it’s better than nothing.

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Don’t believe it. I live in CT, and this state is as blue as my bluest jeans.

I vote anyway, wishing it were otherwise, but the Bamster, for sure, isn’t layin’ awake, tossin’ and turnin’ at night worryin’ ’bout Connecticut.

In the end, CT will fall in line… But I would love to be proved wrong.

marybel on September 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

pedestrian on September 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Sad, but true. I’ve spent many years living in both states.

CTSherman on September 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM

If I may paraphrase the first lady – For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my state, and not just because Barack is doing poorly in the polls, but because I think people are hungry for change.

Dannel Malloy, I bet your numbers aren’t so good either.

From the Nutmeg state

Thanos on September 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM

The Rs can hand it to Obama, on a platinum platter, out of sheer stupidity, or beat him by 40 states.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Connecticut is as blue as my jeans.

Obama may be thought of as underwater here, but he probably has nothing to keep him tossin’ and turnin’ at night.

I vote, but it’s like shoveling sand against the tide. Exercise in futility.

marybel on September 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

That’s not entirely true. CT will elect Republican governors. I’m from CT, and I know the despair when it comes to seeing Rosa DeLauro-types elected time and time again. But, Romney is just the kind of squish that CT would elect as Governor, so I don’t think it’s out-of-bounds to think they’d vote for him as President.

joejm65 on September 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

marybel on September 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

You and me both.

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Linda McMahon! I was really rooting for her last year. I hope 2012 is better.

El_Terrible on September 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Me too!

I think she’s be fantastic in the Senate.

gophergirl on September 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM

CT is one of the five states Obama might win…

Keemo on September 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Those people in Connecticut are soft, I tell you, soft!

MTF on September 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

joejm65 on September 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Remember how Malloy got elected, joe?

The “mysterious bag” of “absentee” ballots…from Bridgeport?

Recall what kind of Governors Rowland and Rell were, while you’re at it.

Raised taxes so much, I thought they we Dems.

Tragic irony being, Rowland was elected to actually repeal the income tax before it could become a fixture.

How’d that work out for us?

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

CT is one of the five states Obama might win…

Keemo on September 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Along with MN

gophergirl on September 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Along with MN

gophergirl on September 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Illinois, Cali, NY, and Mass make it six, but that won’t put him over the top.

predator on September 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

A landslide doesn’t necessarily have nutmeg on it.

SlaveDog on September 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Along with MN

gophergirl on September 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Along with Illinois, I don’t know why I even bother voting.

Knucklehead on September 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

We don’t need Romney. We don’t need Connecticut.

CliffHanger on September 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Go ahead…call me insane…

winston on September 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

O.K. you’re insane. But crazy people aren’t always wrong.

I’m having a hard time believing all the Dem. Senators up for re-election in 2012 are willing to go down with Obama. Being Senator is a good gig. They need someone upticket who’s got some drawing power.

Like you know who.

SlaveDog on September 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Illinois, Cali, NY, and Mass make it six, but that won’t put him over the top.

predator on September 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You forgot Hawaii, Vermont, Oregon, Washington (Where it’s always rigged.) and Rhode Island.

So he gets 11 states, plus DC.

It’s a wipeout, but nowhere near the @sskickings Ronnie handed Mr. Peanut and Wally.

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Granted, but it will still be most satisfying.
He has to go. They all have to go.

It reminds me of Cheney’s convention speech when he ran with W:

“The wheel has turned. It’s time for them to go.”

predator on September 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

This state will go for Obama just like they went straight Democrat in 2010. If Romney is the nominee, the Obama attack machine will make sure they scare the left wing drones in this state into believing Romney is actually a conservative; Obama by 11.

Daemonocracy on September 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Like you know who.

SlaveDog on September 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Is this who you mean?http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread758947/pg1

CTSherman on September 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Why doesn’t preview always work?

CTSherman on September 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Connecticut is my home state…and I’ve always said, sure it’s a blue state, but there’s a lot of $$$ there. Fairfield county where I’m from especially. They’re not your run-of-the-mill liberal lemmings. And those people don’t blindly subscribe to any political ideology. They won’t fall for the “It’s Bush’s fault!” crud, and when their pocketbooks are negatively affected, they’ll put blame where it belongs.

So it’s no wonder Obama is sinking in the Constitution State. Romney will most likely end up with CT’s nod for the GOP, as Mass. is right next door. If Romney loses any New England state, he’d be in lots of trouble.

JetBoy on September 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Why doesn’t preview always work?

CTSherman on September 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Yeah I noticed that with the preview button too.

As for that link, omg…you know a candidate has jumped the shark already when they talk about nonsense like that. I can’t see her ever doing that. But then again, I’ve gotta find a new candidate to support, as Palin has been too aloof for too long…and I was told repeatedly by ‘nistas here that shoe would declare by the end of this month. Well, here it is.

JetBoy on September 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

A very good friend of mine, who is most definitely very liberal just posted Herman Cains bio on facebook saying hmmm…interesting….I think I like him….and you know me, not much opinion in the political subject, but I think everyone should take a look at him…..

I am still trying to recover from my shock!

Sent Mr. Cain 3x my usual small donation..

kringeesmom on September 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

joejm65 on September 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Bah! Even here in MA Romney wouldn’t be considered squishy enough to vote for in a Presidential Election. Sure we get the occasional Weld or Romney as Governor but it isn’t an indication that most of the state is anything but liberal.

SittingDeadRed on September 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Kataklysmic on September 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Now that is just funny, because some guy in a van came up to me at the gas station in Pasadena trying to sell me some speakers with some story that his boss mis-ordered the number of speakers he needed and I can get a great deal.

One important rule in life is: it is hard to scam an honest person.

GardenGnome on September 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Out here in Cali, during the 80s, there was a scam

That scam was popular here in Ontario too and well into the ’90s. It goes by the name of the White Van Speaker Scam. I was approached at least 4 different times. One time, the van driver could get out no more than, “Hey Buddy . . .” and I interrupted him to tell him what he was about to ask me. He asked me how I knew. He was unaware of how prolific this scam had become.

keep the change on September 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM

He’ll win CT. But by 1/2 the 08 margin which means Romney wins 300 EVs minimum.

angryed on September 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Illinois, Cali, NY, and Mass make it six, but that won’t put him over the top.

predator on September 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

So he gets 11 states, plus DC.

SuperCool on September 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Don’t forget Maryland, either.

Fallen Sparrow on October 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM

They will stuff the ballot box in CT, just like they did the last election. Very few people are excited about voting for the Idiot but the ballots will show up like magic and the state GOP will just roll over again.

gdonovan on October 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM

I was told repeatedly by ‘nistas here that she would declare by the end of this month. Well, here it is.

JetBoy on September 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

You want to know who is running in the primary? It will be the people on the ballot when you show up at the polling place. I was reminded of that when I showed up in 2008 and the candidate I preferred had already dropped out (so I crossed over and voted for Hillary). Make your decision on primary day, not months before the primaries begin.

Kafir on October 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM