Limbaugh: Why aren’t they begging Rubio to run?

posted at 4:10 pm on September 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

While Michael Reagan and Newt Gingrich plead with Republicans to cut each other some slack, Rush Limbaugh is in a camp with Michele Bachmann and others who believe the GOP doesn’t have to settle for a less-than-completely-conservative candidate in 2012. On his program yesterday, the radio talker reiterated that position — and cited the Republican establishment’s lack of demands for a Marco Rubio candidacy as evidence that Republican operatives are more concerned with electability than conservatism at a time when it should be the other way around:

Let me ask you, why do you think they’re not begging Rubio to run?  Rubio has been just as adamant as Christie that he doesn’t want to run.  In a contest of conservatism, Rubio wins versus Christie.  So why are they not asking Rubio to run? …

Part of it is, I think, that they genuinely believe that whoever the other nominees are can’t win.  That’s another thing that frosts me.  I think Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd could beat Obama in this election coming up because I think this is going to largely be about Obama.  It’s going to be a referendum on his outright destruction of the wealth-creating genius of this country.  I think Elmer Fudd could win, but I’m more concerned than that.  I don’t want to just get rid of Obama, I want to take advantage of the opportunity we have to finally get a genuine, full-fledged, unapologetic conservative because this is going to be a major task … rolling this stuff back.  It’s going to take more than one election, and it’s going to take somebody fearless.  And we’re not going to roll this stuff back having compromise and bipartisanship as our primary objectives. …

But Rubio, Rubio would win in a walkover.  He’s conservative.  He’s articulate.  He’s great-looking.  He’s Hispanic and sounds very smart.  How can he possibly lose?  If this were the Democrat Party, the party father would probably tell Obama to step aside and let Rubio run, if Rubio were a Democrat.  There are more Hispanic voters now than there are blacks, and Rubio’s got more experience than Obama had when he decided to run.  I don’t know how many times Rubio has voted “present” versus Obama. …

Anyway, look, the reason why they’re not pushing Rubio… I’m going to answer my own question. That’s what I do. I ask myself the best questions I’m ever asked and, therefore, I give the best answers. They’re not pushing Rubio because while they praise him, they don’t think he has had enough experience yet.

And Rubio is — sorry to say this, folks — another example of the RINOs being wrong.

Is it too soon for Rubio to run? As Rush points out, Rubio has more experience than Obama did. Detractors of candidates like Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain repeatedly cite Obama’s inexperience as a reason to not select as the GOP nominee anyone without a meaningful legislative or executive political record. But isn’t that pinning the blame on the wrong part of Obama’s persona? Does the country feel burned for electing a glib, inexperienced senator — or does the country feel burned for electing a professorial progressive? I think it’s the latter — and Rubio, while inexperienced and eloquent, is neither professorial nor progressive. He’s a compelling, relatable, hard-working conservative. He’s someone I actually want to be the president — not just someone I’d rather have as president than Obama. And he’s not someone I want to waste on the vice presidential position, all conventional wisdom right now to the contrary.

It’s clear we can’t afford another four years of Obama. But can we afford four or eight years of a Republican president who might hold the line on government spending but won’t aggressively reverse the problematic progressive gains of the past four years? Four or eight years of that until Rubio is “seasoned” enough to be the president?

Maybe. Rush hasn’t quite convinced me. I want a conservative candidate in 2012 — but I want the best possible Rubio if and when he does become president someday down the line. And, for that, I think a few more years won’t hurt. Reagan’s age was surely an asset in the presidency, enabling him to keep in perspective what might panic younger politicians. It doesn’t have anything to do with political experience; it has to do with life experience and the wisdom that comes with it. Rush has gotten better and better and better over time — and so will Rubio. If even Elmer Fudd could win in 2012, let’s not encourage Rubio to waste his talents on a throwaway election (or in a throwaway position like the vice presidency). Let’s wait for him to run when he’s ready. That time, whenever it is, will be the Age of Rubio.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Petraeus/Rubio 2012…!

Seven Percent Solution on September 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I think Rubio is on a lot of VP short lists.

Rational Thought on September 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Castle/Rubio 2012

Bishop on September 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He’s a classic but he’s still maturing… No need to tap that bottle too soon.

Fallon on September 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM

How does Limbaugh know that people have not approached Rubio about this very thing?

A lot of people that Limbaugh refers to as Rinos actually support Rubio and always have. Jeb Bush has been a strong supporter of Rubio.

Maybe there is some hesitation on Rubio’s part because he is a very young Senator..I think he might be a VP..and then a president.

Terrye on September 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM

VP works for me with Rubio. Or West for VP. Both are great for VP, not president yet, IMO. West said he was open for VP if ‘the wife’ and prayers tells him to do so if asked.
L

letget on September 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Uh, he HASN’T had enough experience yet. For God’s sake, the man’s been in the Senate less than a year! Even Barry was around for 2 years before he officially declared his candidacy. I personally don’t think he’s ready for VP either, although it seems like everyone has him penciled in already for that slot.

Doughboy on September 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM

He’ll be the VP.

Tasha on September 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Rubio’s the frontrunner for VP; it’ll take a lot to get in front of him.

IR-MN on September 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Limbaugh: Why aren’t they begging Rubio to run?

SwampYankee: Because he looks like a teenager. Let the man age a bit. He’ll be even better in eight years.

SwampYankee on September 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Why don’t we wait to find out who Rubio is before we throw him into the meatgrinder. Political office changes people as we have repeatedly seen with Republicans. This is my biggest worry with Cain and it would be with Rubio as well.

sharrukin on September 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Rubio supports Perry on tuition for illegals so obviously he is disqualified….

/snark

tpw on September 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

After Obama a candleholder could hold the office.

No, it’s not related to Sen. Rubio, just a general observation on “lack of experience”.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I don’t want to just get rid of Obama, I want to take advantage of the opportunity we have to finally get a genuine, full-fledged, unapologetic conservative because this is going to be a major task … rolling this stuff back. It’s going to take more than one election, and it’s going to take somebody fearless. And we’re not going to roll this stuff back having compromise and bipartisanship as our primary objectives. …

This is what Rush does. He gives voice to what I believe in a way I never could. And this is exactly why I will never vote for Romney.

SKYFOX on September 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM

what’s with Rush’s man-crush on this guy?

gatorboy on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

After Obama a candleholder could hold the office.

I’d like to see a presidential debate skit in which an Obama lookalike is debating a ham sandwich.

aunursa on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

VP is a no-brainer. If he’s on a losing, he gets exposure and campaign experience and then goes back to being Senator. If he’s on the winning ticket, he gets VP experience for one or two terms and goes on to POTUS candidacy.

Missy on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I think this is true, but i don’t think the average voter understands it that way. I think the mushy-middle, those people who don’t follow politics closely and who don’t have any firm political philosophy, understand that Obama has failed. What they may not understand is why Obama has failed. Obama hasn’t failed because of his inexperience (although his inexperience exacerbates his failures) but because of his ideology. However, the mushy-middle probably interprets it as Obama failing because he is inexperienced and not up to the task rather than because of his ideology.

Monkeytoe on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

That’s why I’ve left my Republican card in the trash. I support only individuals now, the Republican party “leadership” is far too much in favor of Status Quo politics. And that’s what needs to end. Go Herman!

kirkill on September 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

“losing” s/b “losing ticket”

Missy on September 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Stop with the garbage that he doesn’t have enough experience. Please. Rubio was speaker of the Florida house for some time.

He looks younger than he is, because he has good genetics. His wife is a former Miami Dolphins Cheerleader (sccchwwwing!) and has the best looking family in politics.

Rubio has all the intangibles missing form the current crop of snoozers running for the R nomination.

spec_ops_mateo on September 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The guy is nearly always unerring. But at this point, how hard is it to see through the establishment.

But I’ll go further than Rush. I don’t the establishment even really wants to win. I think the levels of self-loathing and perverted conservatism among these people are that great.

rrpjr on September 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The problem here is that I’m not convinced any of the current candidates (or even GOP Senators and Reps) will really do much more than this anyway.

Monkeytoe on September 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Too easy. Because “They” don’t want a conservative. Coulter wants anybody who can win. I think we already have that.

borntoraisehogs on September 30, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I could see a Cain/Rubio ticket sending the Dems into a complete meltdown.

SWLiP on September 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Dang, but he’s cute. Rubio’s not bad looking either ; p….

Fortunata on September 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM

People who want someone who is NOT a Natural Born citizen have already got their wish.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM

rrpjr on September 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I think you really may be onto something here…profound and true.

Jenfidel on September 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM

rrpjr on September 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I think we often forget that the GOP is not conservative. Conservatives have taken more control over the party, but it remains closer to the Northeastern Liberal Republican model than a true conservative model. what we need to continue to do is fight hard in primaries to get solid conservatives elected and primary reps and senators (particularly those from solid conservative districts/states) who are squishes. Orrin Hatch should definitely be primaried this year. It is a shame that it looks like it is not going to happen. when the threat of being primary is lifted, these people all revert back to their squish ways.

Monkeytoe on September 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Inky is right– WND won’t let Rubio run.

leftnomore on September 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Petraeus/Rubio 2012…!

Seven Percent Solution on September 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Great. We could be islamic nation building in all 57 islamic states for the next 1,000 years.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Huh?

SWLiP on September 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

School girl crushes are for the birds.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM

He hasn’t had enough experience. He should finish his Senate term and then run for an executive position, like governor of Florida. There is no substitute for actual experience. Sure, Obama’s idiotic ideology accounts for most of his failures, but they’ve been exacerbated by his inept leadership. The Oval Office is not the place for on-the-job training.

AZCoyote on September 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM

How about a grand U.N. coalition ticket? Obama/Rubio.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM

spec_ops_mateo on September 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Speaker of the Florida House? What did he do there that makes him Presidential material? What executive experience does he have? How well schooled is he on foreign policy matters? Sorry, but I hate this identity politics crap. Yes, Obama is a massive failure due primarily to his ideology, but the lack of experience ain’t helping matters. Let’s not fall into the same trap with Rubio. He will be on a GOP Presidential ticket someday. I don’t see what the rush is.

Doughboy on September 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

good question.

unseen on September 30, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I’m going to do everybody a favor and cut right through the BS. Marco Rubio is NOT eligible to be president or vice president of the United States. So the Limbaughs, Hannitys, and O’Reillys of this world need to get off that boat and start telling the people the facts. Read the “natural born citizen” section of the “Law of Nations” (1758) by Emmerich DeVattel which is where our Founders got the term “natural born citizen” that they used in the Constitution (1789). To my knowledge that term can NOT be found anywhere prior to it’s use in the Constitution except for it’s use in the “Law of Nations.” And there IS the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Minor vs Happersett (1874) that supports the DeVattel definition used in “Law of Nations.” So, Rubio is NOT eligible. Jindal is NOT eligible. And yes, that fella currently occupying the oval office in D.C. is NOT eligible either. His father was a British Subject at the time of Obama’s birth. NO need for a “birth certificate” debate on his eligibility, the birth certificate is a non-issue. Do your homework people. Obama was allowed to skate through and you see what its done. We can NOT allow anyone else to violate the law just because we happen to agree with their policies and viewpoints.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Are you kidding? Opportunist politicians and Bats**t crazy far right commenters on HA would tear him to shreds for favoring in-state tuition for children of illegal immigrants and “Hispandering”. He would become “open borders RINO overnight. Better to make his career in Florida.

cartooner on September 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I still with Palin/Rubio as the best we can do. If Palin does not run then I would go with either Newt/Rubio or Cain/Rubio

No Romney and no Perry…both are trouble even if they get elected

georgealbert on September 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Rubio should run now if only because he can crush Obama in a general election while a Romney candidacy will almost certainly be a near-run thing, given the lack of GOTV enthusiasm Romney would generate among the Republican base.

Look, we’re facing a pack of hardcore socialists equipped with a billion dollar campaign war chest–socialists who also happen to be products of the Chicago Machine, with all that implies. Imagine the Chicago Way writ large, as in nationwide large: There will be a zombie apocolypse as the dead rise to vote straight Democratic ticket. Some of them will resurrect twice. Voting machines throughout the country will mysteriously malfunction–and strangely enough, always in a way that benefits the Democratic canddiate. Blue-state polling places in close districts are going to be flash-mobbed and disrupted.

You think I’m kidding, dreaming this up? The people we’re facing are the same ones who sell weapons to drug cartels in order to influence anti-gun legislation in the US, the same ones who make multi-billion dollar sweetheart deals with campaign donors on bogus green energy projects, the same ones who thought AttackWatch is a good idea.

Either we win by landslide or we lose. If Obama polls within 5 points of the Republican candidate in the weeks prior to the election, then he and his people would be able to steal the election. They can’t do it if the margin is implausibly wide.

troyriser_gopftw on September 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM

The fact that it is the Republican elite that are inviting Christie to speak and to run tells you all you need to know about the Republican elite.

They aren’t conservative and haven’t been for a long time, if they ever were. Christie is right of Ted Kennedy, and not a fan of public sector unions, but there his conservatism ends. The Republicans have been just slightly more conservative that the Dems for years. Bush’s presidency blew the lid off that charade because it soon became clear that Compassionate Conservatism was not conservative at all.

The Republican elite will not now, or ever, be in favor of an actual conservative running for office. That is why they had to smear Palin at every opportunity and will do the same to Rubio if they can. But it would be easier for them to just ignore him.

There is not enough opportunity for graft in small government conservatism which is why “it will never work with the American people.” Not if they and their campaign chests can help it, it won’t.

Lily on September 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Rubio will make a find SCOTUS judge one of these days but not a POTUS. At the time of his birth Marco Rubio’s parents were NOT U.S.citizens therefore he is NOT eligible to be POTUS or VEEP. If he is a true patriot and supporter of the Constitution, he will call a press conference and announce that he is not a ‘natural born citizen’ because his parents were not U.S. citizens at the time of his birth and that he cannot accept any invitation to join a presidential ticket. For more eligibility info, see: http://naturalborncitizen.word

Tell Rubio that you expect him to do the right thing so that we can both fix the constitutional crisis we currently face and forever prevent another from occurring. This problem should have been resolved following Chester A. Arthur’s administration when it was discovered that his father was not a U.S. citizen when Chester was born – but it wasn’t.

If Rubio will honor the Founding fathers and make that announcement, it would immediately shine a spotlight on Hussein Louie’s ineligibility and maybe even force the SCOTUS/Congress to act.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

rrpjr on September 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Bingo! You smell the very same perversion that I’ve concluded for a long time. They won’t change their wealth, nor lose their lucrative lifestyles (same resturants, plays, pensions, super-health care products etc) one bit, if they lose or win.

But if Sarah Palin gets in and starts cleaning out the rats nest in RINOville a lot of folks will lose their gig when she exposes them. That is precisely why they collectively have pronounced her from on high as “not ready”-the equivelant of the “N” word to a outside candidate. She knew this crowd would behave this way (remember McCain’s hoodlums manhandling her after the election?)and has wisely gone around their traps -it is the elitist GOP that is in fact, “not ready” for her.

Don L on September 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Citizenship status is determined by the Constitution and has test cases on record. “Natural Born” determination, both parents were U.S citizens at the time of the candidate’s birth and the person in question was born on U.S. soil (which includes embassies and military bases)- (14th Amendment, U.S. vs. Wong Ken Ark, Minor vs. Happersett, Perkins vs. Elg,). “Native born” citizen is one born on U.S. soil (14th Amendment and Wong case). “Citizen by statute” is a person born to at least one U.S. citizen parent, born on U.S. soil and/or “naturalized” (14th Amendment, Wong and Perkins). Based on the above being correct, neither Soetoro or Rubio are eligible to run or be elected President of the United States. Only a “natural born” citizen is said to meet the qualifications in addition to being at least 35-years-old. The only way Congress can change existing law and be in Constitutional compliance is by amending the Constitution by the required and established means already set forth.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Slice it any way you want, but Obama’s problem going in was his lack of executive experience. Running Sara Palin as VP didn’t help bring that issue to the forefront, even though she was more experienced than he. With many questioning McCain’s ability to survive 4 more years, independents went the other direction.

3 years later, Obama has meaningful executive experience. But he also has an executive track record. That’s the trouble with experience.

We need someone with positive executive experience to be in charge. Someone who is familiar with government but not interested in perpetuating it. We need someone who will bring the right priorities to the office. Those priorities have to be restoring a climate that is conducive to creating good jobs in this country and reducing the deficit that threatens the future. Achieving priority number one will help with number 2.

Any social agenda that does not generate jobs or cut spending has to take a back seat.

EconomicNeocon on September 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

But Rubio supports the TX Dream Act!!!1111!1!1 Commie pinko!111!!

John the Libertarian on September 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM

And I wish Birthers of whatever brand would please go sit at the little table away from the adults. That ‘natural born citizen’ business grates on the nerves.

troyriser_gopftw on September 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Since Elmer Fudd can beat Obama, that means we should nominate Elmer Fudd, right?

forest on September 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Rubio needs to be the VP choice this time. First of all it would seal the deal for Republicans this time. Even if the top of the ticket turns out a little weak say with Romney, adding Rubio would keep the base in line, and really energize conservatives to elect Romney.
Then Rubio is set up to take over in eight years.

exceller on September 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Inky: Even if this were true in the past, if Rubio were elected, and someone challenged him, all he would have to do is use Obama as precedent and the SC would either have to choose to change the precedent, or strike down as unconstitutional everything that Obama did.

That sounds like a wonderful thing to me.

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Sen. Rubio is most definitely a great prospect for the future of the Republican party–young, solidly conservative, very articulate, a great debater and speaker, good-looking, and genuinely “likeable”, the way Reagan was.

But if he was elected in 2012, Rubio would be the youngest President EVER (younger than JFK was in 1960), and would have had less experience in the Senate than Obama or JFK did at the time of their election–would people really trust him with the Presidency?

Rubio has a LOT of promise, but let’s give him time to grow. The Republican nominee is in 2012 will have Rubio’s support during the campaign in crucial Florida, and a solid ally in the Senate if he wins the election. If Obama wins in 2012, Rubio will finish his first Senate term in 2016, and have a solid resume to run on. Even if a Republican is elected President in 2012 and re-elected in 2016, Rubio will be only 50 years old in 2020, and the perfect age to succeed the retiring next President.

Steve Z on September 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

exceller on September 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Sixteen years of GOP control might be a good start revering the damage done by Zero.

IR-MN on September 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Rush has gotten better and better and better over time

That’s kind of funny, considering Rush has been on the air since Tina was in diapers, if not longer.

DaydreamBeliever on September 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’ve heard people refer to Rubio as a RINO. What would disenfranchise him from the base, and is it as bad as Romney’s, Perry’s, et al?

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM

This is getting ridiculous… why don’t we just get every GOP Governor (former/current), Mayor, Senator, Congresscritter, City Council person and pundit to run as well?

There are only 2 people left that can get in this late — Palin and the Big Guy (even he is questionable if not for the fat cat donors).

Once those 2 decide the field is set.

davek70 on September 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM

exceller: That logic worked quite well in 2008, I note. /

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM

MadCon: I’ve heard rumblings that Rubio, like Perry, favors giving illegal aliens in-state tuition in Florida schools.

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Rubio has not demonstrated to me he is a conservative at heart. He seems to talk well enough, but he is extremely wishy washy on conservative principles. He argues that socialism is as valid an option for Americans to chose as would be capitalism, then says he beleives in capitalism.

astonerii on September 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Oh well, if Rash says it we must all fall in line. He may have convinced many of you otherwise, but “ditto-head” is not a compliment.

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

For Rubio to really solidify his chances at taking the “Latino vote”, I would recommend a deeper tan and a stylish goatee a la Bill Richardson- otherwise they get too easily mistaken for plain old boring white guys.

A “Cali” neck tatoo would just seal it for him.

VENCEREMOS!

sartana on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Favors is one thing. Put it into action is another.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Once those 2 decide the field is set.

davek70 on September 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM

FIFY

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Actually, it is. If you’re expecting to be taken seriously as an arbiter of anything conservative on this site, your comments are working against you.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I like Rubio a lot. However, he is not ready for a VP slot. And it bothers me that for some in the establishment, they seem to want him only for his Hispanic roots. That’s not right.

Key West Reader on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

In the foreign policy arena Marco Rubio is Jimmy Carter on crack.

Rubio visits Libya, meets rebels. (September 29, 2011).

As he returns from his first trip to Libya, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio said he was “pleasantly surprised” by how pro-American people there are and how unwelcoming the country is to radical Islamic groups.

Rubio, who was part of a small group of lawmakers who traveled to Libya on Thursday, said everywhere he went he came across pro-American graffiti and people who praised the help they have received from the U.S.

“You can tell it was genuine,” Rubio said in a conference call with reporters in Florida. “Everywhere we went the rebels would try to communicate with us.”

Rubio said before his first trip to Libya he was told there was a lot of pro-American sentiment, but was nonetheless surprised at how much of it he felt during his quick visit.

The Miami Republican said it contrasts with what he has seen in recent trips to Afghanistan and Pakistan where the reception was “not nearly as warm.”

Rubio said he also came away convinced that radical groups don’t have much power over the Libyan people. He said the radical Islamic groups are well organized, but do not represent the majority of what the Libyan people want.

“I’m cautiously optimistic for Libya’s future,” Rubio said.

Rubio, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was on the trip with Sens. John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Mark Steven Kirk.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

He’s a classic but he’s still maturing… No need to tap that bottle too soon.

Fallon on September 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM

If the GOP bottles age like Perry, Rubio better get in now before he putrefies.

faraway on September 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

forest on September 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

LOL!!!

/On second thought.. Isn’t Elmer Fudd already our VP?

Key West Reader on September 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Who the he11 thinks that they are or wants to be an “arbiter of anything conservative” either here or anywhere? I mean besides Rash.

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

MadCon: I certainly agree with that. A legislator should be judged by how he votes and what he sponsors. As others have mentioned, Rubio was head of the Florida House before winning his US Senate position. Last I checked, Florida does not have in-state tuition for illegals.

He’s a bit wonky on foreign policy, though, as I recall.

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

How long, o Lord? “Dittoes” means you like the show, not that you agree with the host. Let’s not be stuck on stupid.

DaydreamBeliever on September 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Rubio’s private sector experience matches Obama’s… I say we give him a chance.

gatorboy on September 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Of course you don’t like Rush. He’s a Conservative.

kingsjester on September 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Rubio said he supported the administration’s decision to provide air cover and other help for rebel [AlQ linked Libyans) forces. He said the U.S. should have intervened more aggressively.

“If the U.S. had been more involved, this conflict would have been over sooner,” he said.

Some other Republicans in Congress – including Rep. Allen West of Plantation – have been wary of supporting the rebels, not knowing where the revolution would lead.

Allen West = adult
Marco Rubio = child)

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I heard the piece. I don’t think Rush was saying that Rubio should run now, but rather pointing out that the same establishment that is begging Christie isn’t begging Rubio.

At the root, I think Rush is right on this. I think the establishment (be it out of fear or loathing) doesn’t want a conservative to get the nomination. I’m not sure if it’s outright antipathy, or merely idiotic fear of conservatism based on the acceptance of most of what liberals say about conservatives.

I love Rubio, but he might to better to be his own man rather than accepting a VP bid in a GOP administration that might well go down the tubes (Romney, cough, Romney.)

SAMinVA on September 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM

kingsjester on September 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

But I do like Rush. I just don’t take him seriously.

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I want him to be president too. Just don’t want to rush it.

I thought it was the left that had problems with valuing instant gratification over patience and maturity.

Scrappy on September 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yes but Republicans have consistently said that Obama is totally inexperienced. So Rubio has more experience than a totally inexperienced person. Does that qualify as enough experience?

aengus on September 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Uh huh.

kingsjester on September 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Hint: anyone who would consider themselves feasible to judge conservatism neither childishly insults people for supporting a potential candidate for president, nor childishly insults a conservative icon in talk radio.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Just don’t want to rush it.

Scrappy on September 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Good pun :-)

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Let Rubio ripen on the vine.

portlandon on September 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM

He’s a bit wonky on foreign policy, though, as I recall.

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

As are most fresh faces in Congress. Ron Paul, for example, has been doing this s**t for decades, and still doesn’t get it. He’s not a good choice. Rubio still has potential.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Ridiculous. I’m in favor of kicking all politicians out when they hit 65.

huckleberryfriend on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Everyone and their mother are RINOs to the ivory tower purists.

mythicknight on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

But I do like Rush. I just don’t take him seriouslythink anyone who ever disagrees with me is stupid.

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

You’ve made your attitude clear for months.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Oh we musn’t insult an icon. The gawds may strike us down. Is Ann Coulter an icon? I ask because there was a lot of icon-bashing going on around here not too long ago. What about George Will, is he an icon? Who do we report these infractions to? We cannot let such behavior go unpunished!

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Thinking for one’s self instead of obeying the directives of a radio entertainer is for filthy RINOs.

Hollowpoint on September 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Everyone and their mother are RINOs to the ivory tower purists.

mythicknight on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

To an extent, yes. However, one could easily argue that Romney is more of a RINO than, say, Rick Perry. It comes down to calculating just how much their records have damaged their reputations.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Quit crying. You make childish comments like calling Rush Limbaugh “Rash”, claim you like him, and then whine because you’re treated like the child you are? Grow a pair. Either own your personality, or don’t.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

MadCon: Agreed, but that does point to more seasoning being needed for Rubio. This seasoning could be accomplished as VP if he’s kept away from foreign policy while in that role.

Scott H on September 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hollowpoint on September 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Nice straw man.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I think what we need is a RINO scale and a way to measure RINOism. Perhaps we could use Rudies as our unit of measure. So Romney may measure 7 Rudies and Perry would be say 6.3 Rudies.

MJBrutus on September 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Rubio needs to finish out his term first. It gives him an opportunity to keep the promises he has made to his supporters. His record in congress needs more time to mature and give him a solid conservative record to run on. I do believe that some day he will run for president and win. He just needs more time in the trenches.

milwife88 on September 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It would not be wise to nominate Rubio.

He barely has more experience than Obama. I thought he was maybe a good vice president potential, but I just found out he was for in state tuition of illegal immigrants like that other guy. Not good. I will not be a hypocrite.

scotash on September 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

milwife88 on September 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Fair point. Shouldn’t we, as conservatives who value service from our elected representatives after we worked to put them in office, hope that they complete at least one term before running for president? Didn’t we give Obama plenty of hell about his fresh status in the Senate?

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Pick Rubio for VP and with a good point man you get a 16 yr lock on the presidency. He’s great stuff, but needs some executive experience. Or you could chance it all and put him at the top of the ticket. Hard to say this far in advance what might work.

paul1149 on September 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Everyone and their mother are RINOs to the ivory tower purists.

mythicknight on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I think it would be impossible to find any politician that agrees 100% with what you (or I) consider conservative or even that is considered “objectively” conservative by most conservatives.

the question is on which issues does the politician deviate and how does he deviate. Some positions are more toxic than others. And, of course, this is also subject to the individual’s interests. A social con might find a candidate being pro-choice but solid on every other issue still a deal-breakers, while a fiscal-con might think such candidate is a rock-ribbed conservative.

Hell, even those of us on this site have fights about what is conservative. it also depends on the timing and what the candidate promises in their platform. For instance, I support Perry as I believe he is currently the most conservative viable candidate. But I have issues with him. My support would be a lot stronger if he came out and said he promises to push border enforcement and will not under any circumstances push for or sign anything resembling amnesty during his first term. That would mollify me to a large extent even though I realize Perry is soft on immigration issues.

The funny thing is, this crop of candidates would likely have seemed really good in 2008. But now, because we have the opportunity (because of Obama’s weakness) to elect someone much more conservative than seems achievable in most years, this slate seems weak.

Monkeytoe on September 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Everyone and their mother are RINOs to the ivory tower purists.

mythicknight on September 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Anyone to the right of Mao is a purist to you.

faraway on September 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Marco Rubio does not have to mature!
He says what he believes and believes what he says.
Our Constitution is in his heart and soul.
More importantly, he has a soul.
He should be President,
Not VP
VP is a do nothing possition.
Rubio would stand toe to toe to Obama and smash him because he loves our country and can back it up!
I agree he would WIN in a LANDSLIDE