Garofalo: Cain’s rise in support proves Republican racism, or something

posted at 1:25 pm on September 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I’m loath to post something from the supremely irrelevant Janeane Garofalo or the slightly-less-irrelevant Keith Olbermann, except that this clip encapsulates perfectly how intellectually vapid the Republicans-are-racists argument truly is.  If African-Americans don’t do well among Republicans, it’s evidence of racism, and now if they do get support among Republicans, that’s also racism. It’s an unanswerable assertion that not only is completely circular in its logic, it’s also lunacy. Basically, Garofalo is kind of like a cult member who insists that every data point supports her religious belief, regardless of whether it contradicts with other data points that are also used in defense of groupthink. That means she’s making the argument in the right venue, anyway.

In an appearance on Wednesday night’s “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” on Current TV, Garofalo explained her theory.

“Herman Cain is probably well-liked by some of the Republicans because it hides the racist elements of the Republican Party, conservative movement and tea party movement,” Garofalo said.

“People like Karl Rove like to keep the racism very covert and so Herman Cain provides this great opportunity so he can say, ‘Look: This is not a racist anti-immigrant, anti-female, anti-gay movement. Look: We have a black man.’ And look he’s polling well and he won a straw poll.”

So Karl Rove is the secret force behind Herman Cain? Well, that’s certainly … ridiculous. It fits right in with the paranoia that cult members usually exhibit, however. All that’s left is a rant about Halliburton and corporate America, and … oh, wait. Just saw the rest of the clip, and it’s all there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

RACISTS FOR CAIN!

CAIN 2012!!!

Key West Reader on September 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

If I was her, I would not let those people in the psych ward keep hitting me with the ugly stick!!!

Sporty1946 on September 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I absolutely loathed ‘Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior’, both for her acting and for Forest Whitaker’s. I guess that also makes me racist.

BTW: Didn’t CM:SB get cancelled after the 1st season? I wonder why.

Timothy S. Carlson on September 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels
Infest her armpits.

Key West Reader on September 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Probably not the only one, but I called this narrative ~3 days ago. Now, Maher and Stewart will engage about Republicans “trying hard not to appear racist” and after they have pronounced that analysis, they will continue their one-man version of telephone and ponder why Republicans are “trying so hard”….”covering something up??!!”

I think the only solution is to show the middle how predictable this all is. Of course, the idiot middle watched a government in full control of Democrats (2009-2010) pass bundles of money to Dem cronies who fund Dem candidates, and because the media neither clued them in or validated that case, didn’t catch on. Neither did they seem to alarmed about the violation of the “American ideal” of secret ballots (remember Obama’s admonition that we should govern in synch with our ideals? Well, secret ballot probably isn’t one of those ideals, I guess.) when they tried to pass “Card Check” for the union thug machines to go to work.

Axeman on September 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM

So if we Republicans don’t like black people then how would covering up our alleged racism by supporting a black guy benefit us. Are we going to elect a person we don’t like to cover up the fact that we don’t like him? How would that be good for us? We would end up with someone we don’t like.

It’s so damn bizarre the way these liberals think. She’s such a nut it actually defies belief.

jonezee on September 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

We aren’t just racists; we are sneaky, crafty racists who hide our racism by nominating blacks to the Supreme Court, Secretary of State, and as a front runner for our POTUS candidate.

Republicans were also double plus sneaky crafty racists when they proposed that civil rights legislation and tricked Democrats into filibustering it back in the 60′s.

bitsy on September 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

In the last few years I’ve been assured by a family member whom I no longer talk to, that republicans and conservatives don’t want to pay higher taxes simply because they hate poor brown people. I told her that that was one of the most racist things I’d ever heard, so she assured me that of course they hadn’t, they aren’t that stupid, it’s just what they think. And when I asked how she knew what they thought if they never said it, I got the whole bit about “code”.

I’m feeling very left out since I’ve never gotten my decoder ring.

LibraryGryffon on September 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I can see Obama’s 2012 Campaign slogan now:

Obamao 2012 – The ‘Anti-Tom’

Timothy S. Carlson on September 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Stewart, Maher, Garaffalo…

All illustrations that people who were silly for a living don’t make good pundits.

On a more serious note, think about it. Most comics spend their time trying to figure out the punch line, the punchline is hidden from the day-to-day discussion of things. So they’re analysis comes from things they already assume to be in the subtext.

Axeman on September 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Of course an important bit gets chopped off by my weird computer, and preview doesn’t work.

It should read:

I told her that that was one of the most racist things I’d ever heard, and I had certainly never heard a conservative or republican politician talk about “brown people”, so she assured me that of course they hadn’t, they aren’t that stupid, it’s just what they think.

LibraryGryffon on September 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM

A nattering nabob of nuttiness…

Dhuka on September 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Obamao 2012 – The ‘Anti-Tom’

Timothy S. Carlson on September 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

LOLz

ladyingray on September 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Gosh, wish our Tea Party had some corporate money. Maybe we could finally get some donuts for the meetings.

JellyToast on September 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM

She’s less relevant than toe lint…

ladyingray on September 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I’m feeling very left out since I’ve never gotten my decoder ring.

LibraryGryffon on September 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Decoder rings are so 1950′s. You need the Karl Rove cerebral implant if you want to know what all the cool kids are saying.

Lily on September 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Dumb, fugly and liberal is a horrible way to go through life.

bw222 on September 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM

For the love of all that is decent in the world, would Ed or AP or Tina PLEEEEEEEZE!!!!! bump this story from the top slot of the Top Picks column??

It’s painful to have to see that fugly maw every time I come to the site.

CurtZHP on September 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I feel sorry for her. Her stated attitudes indicate she’s sick. The problem is she’s a public person, a celebrity. What she says is heard by others, affects them, and some even believe what she says. She’s hurting others, to the point of being dangerous.

Paul-Cincy on September 29, 2011 at 6:12 PM

One way to test the truth of your beliefs is to imagine you have a world stage and everyone sees and hears what you say. Is she willing to take that test? I’d be embarrassed, if I were her.

Paul-Cincy on September 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM

James Garofalo has finally reached the same status as Dick Gregory. When I was younger, Dick Gregory would always be introduced as a comedian. I don’t ever recall him telling a joke. To me he was always a skinny, bitter complainer. The same is true of Mr Garofalo.

TugboatPhil on September 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Garafalo’s probably the reason her Criminal Minds spin-off was cancelled. Here’s my take on Romney, Cain, and Perry.

kingsjester on September 29, 2011 at 6:28 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels
Infest her armpits.

Key West Reader on September 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Fleas have been there for years, according to Michael Moore she’s now working on crabs!

Liberty or Death on September 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM

why do we give nutcases like this attention? some people deserve to be ignored. especially those who say stupid things for attention.

ramrants on September 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM

i’m in a quandry

i can’t decide if i want to vote for cain or lynch him

DrW on September 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Speaking of an echo chamber, she made these exact same arguments before Olbermann left MSNBC. These are tired, warn out arguments that have long since lost their meaning.

stuartm650 on September 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM

A washed-up entertainer talking to a washed-up sportscaster. It’s a Vortex of Imbecility.

curved space on September 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Garofalo gets 3 pages of comments? how does an imbecile like this get so much airtime, even at HA? Maybe she is not so stupid after all, we contribute to keep her employed..

neuquenguy on September 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM

What is most astounding about this interview is that Karl Rove has chosen to share his innermost thoughts with this ditz. Maybe he thought he was humoring a crazy lady on the subway. Which she certainly would be, were she on a subway.

I know people just as deranged as this woman. But, they’re not “known” — for whatever that’s worth.

It’s getting to the point that your opinions are news items, no matter how batty they are, if anyone outside of your immediate family has actually heard of you.

What I’d really love to see would be another C-List celebrity interviewed to tell us what they “know” Garofalo is “really thinking” — assuming there is brain activity of some kind taking place. The more she denies it, the more obvious it will be that it’s true. Say anything. Doesn’t matter if it’s made up or simply public hallucination. That’s the way it works these days.

IndieDogg on September 29, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Can I hear a Kardashian? Everywhere you look, you see Kardashian this or Kardashian that. It makes me sick that these people are somehow supposed to be so admirable.
I think that the same septic liberal thought that produced Garafolo produced the Kardashians.

This is just gross.

bloggless on September 29, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Is it me, or is Janeane starting to look a bit like Emily Litella these days?

cinnabar on September 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM

HAPPY NATIONAL COFFEE DAY!

COFFEE: Promotes flaming capitalism and withstands take-overs from elite socialists.

Mutnodjmet on September 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

ramrants on September 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Actually, she doesn’t really get much attention, it is Current TV after all, and an occasional post here is simply therapeutic for us. Does my heart good to laugh at smelly hippie chicks.

Tim Zank on September 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Wow, them’s be some crazy peeps.

Open The Door on September 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Shame on you Ed for giving this nutball an audience.

Knucklehead on September 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Only about seven seconds, in my case, then the rising gorge forced me to shut the idiot off or clean my keyboard of nasty regurgitated material (much like her comments).

Siddhartha Vicious on September 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM

That woman is about as stupid as a bag of hammers. I wonder how she dresses herself in the am. Certainly isn’t smart enough to grasp simple concepts that Special Olympians can understand far better than she can……

Absolutely out of touch with reality………

Subsunk

Subsunk on September 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM

She is kind of like the Iranians who want to kill the pastor. You are different, change or be destroyed.

tomas on September 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM

This dizzy bint.

ZK on September 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Disgusting! Garofalo and MSNBC have a thing with Cain. They should be ashamed of themselves, but they have no shame.

I have no doubt that Mr. Cain will not let these comments get to him. He is a man class and grace and intellect and maturity. He knows these are nitwits and trashy people, but he is too classy to actually say it.

The man has had to put up with this type of crap all his life and worse. He can handle it, I’m sure.

But that doesn’t make me any less indignant and mad that he will have to put up with it.

God bless you, Mr. Cain. You have not only my respect, you have my affection too.

Elisa on September 29, 2011 at 10:00 PM

He is a man class and grace and intellect and maturity

Elisa on September 29, 2011 at 10:00 PM

A man OF all those things. And I forgot he has a great sense of humor too. He will need it. So will we.

Elisa on September 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Are her glasses getting bigger, or is her head getting smaller?

It could be either.

trigon on September 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

However you think the Tea Party is funded is irrelevant Janeane Garofalo but you are right.. WE ARE GOING TO POLITICALLY STOMP THE EVER LOVING S*H*T OUT YOU PEOPLE .. in about one year.. give or take a month.

;)

amend2 on September 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM

“The message is very, very clear…”

Yes, Janeane, the message is very, very clear: you’re a f__ing lunatic.

Dopenstrange on September 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM

If anything I think Cain is too black to win. IMHO the only reason Obama won is because he’s half-white, which makes those fence-sitting, new-agey liberal-independant types comfortable. It was obvious during the campaign – Obama is so “articulate”, he’s “clean”, “handsome”, an acceptable black man. I think Cain will intimidate a lot of folks, but we can see from Florida it’s not the GOP.
Projection much Jeanane?

quiz1 on September 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I know what your game is Ed! If you bring on Garofalo enough, you will make so many people so sick that we will have to have Obamacare just to get them well again. You obviously are a fifth columnist (blogger? journalist?) for Obama.

Old Country Boy on September 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Janeane’s brain interacts with logic much the same way that neutrino’s interact with matter. In other words, not very much.

dissent555 on September 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Conservative Racism Unfalsifiable, Straight Up

She’s such a nasty little troll, isn’t she?

DrZin on September 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM

She’s pretty ugly for an actress. You can usually find bikini pictures of actresses on the internet – not her though. I guess nobody would want to see them.

LODGE4 on September 30, 2011 at 6:52 AM

I think Ms Garofalo was once spurned/rejected (and possibly scorned) by a Republican man that she had a deep infatuation with. DD

Darvin Dowdy on September 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM

If a Keith Olbergoebbels falls in the forest does he make a sound? No. Nobody knows there is even a channel on TV called “Current TV”. Wonder what Olbergoebbels is going to do for a gig when Al Gore runs out of his “Global Warming” extortion money. A hundred million doesn’t last long in TV Land.

As for Garafalo, look up “Lenin’s useful idiots” and they have her as the centerfold, complete with a Che’ Guevara beret and those really stupid glasses. The picture even smells like her after two months of not bathing. Just another fool who never grew up and has severe Daddy issues. Applies to Olbergoebbels as well…….

adamsmith on September 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM

BierManVA on September 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I visited your site and really like what you had to say about the environment. I’m going back to see what you laid on Rush (2 hits). DD has a darn good blog. Youse guys should visit once in a while.

Also, I really like posters and commenters that link to their own blogs. This gives me insight at to their areas of special knowledge and removes the cloak of anomomity from them just a little. Those that have links that just go to some organization (or in one case an oriental resume site) may think you are funny, but your future comments will be disregarded by at least me. Of course the trolls and mamas’ boys won’t have a site worth noticing and I don’t think that mama wants pictures of her basement getting out.

Old Country Boy on September 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Why is this scrunt still breathing?

Coronagold on September 30, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Rove, you magnificent bastard…still haven’t lost the touch.

right2bright on September 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

This is just more evidence that Rove is the most powerful man in the universe. In fact, Garofalo and Olbermann are actually double agents working for Rove. Having them make crazy accusations of racism is just another way of Rove keeping tea party/conservative/Republican racism covert. He is a sorcerer, that one.

Bill Ramey on September 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

What more can be said about the extremely irritable Ms. Gargoyalfalo
apparition on her only friend, the equally irritable Mr. Ogerman speaking out subjects they are experts – racism.

To make my point, Ms. Gargoyalfalo and Mr. Ogerman believe they are to only two Caucasoids that both appear in ‘whiteface’ to show they are the only two normal white folk who can trace their hearitage to slavery.

MSGTAS on September 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM

So, does Garofalo think that the election of a black president proves that America is racist?

Pythagoras on September 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

There is only one proper response to Janeane Garofalo:

“…what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

whatthecrap on September 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM

what jenine and her ilk conveniently forget is it wasnt republicans who were lynching blacks 50 years ago.
But i love geneine. without her, i’d have nothing to laugh at in this world.

abcurtis on September 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Bill Ramey on September 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

i think you have a point about rove. do you think it’s possible rove sent his secret agents and kidnapped jeneane and olbermann and planted a chip in their brains? i mean, he is that powerful, you know.

abcurtis on September 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Where’s the Friday gay conservative atheist thread?

Akzed on September 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM

This so-called actress killed “24″ and “Criminal Minds…The Sequel”. She might as well kill the leftist ideology as well.

Skipper50 on September 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I wonder if this troll ever watches her own clips. That dog won’t hunt.

leftnomore on September 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM

abcurtis on September 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Close, but I reveal the truth here.

Bill Ramey on September 30, 2011 at 10:10 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels
Infest her armpits.

Key West Reader on September 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Selah.

Axe on October 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM

This crappy “C” list so called actress is so blatantly racist in her own right.

generouse on October 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM