Video: Father of the year?

posted at 10:05 am on September 28, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Tickets to Japanese baseball game for a family of four: around $150.

Price on eBay of a souvenir baseball signed by Willie Mays: $36 (for now)

Having a global moment of infamy by dumping your baby daughter into the next row while trying to catch a baseball for yourself: Priceless

I’ve been a baseball fan all my life and have never caught a ball at a game, so I know how exciting it would be to grab one — but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t toss my granddaughter out of my lap to get a souvenir I could buy at one of the shops on the way out.  And note, too, how Dad reacts to potentially injuring his baby girl here … by picking her up at the ankle.  You also have to love what appears to be Dad’s explanation to Mom that he was trying to protect her from the ball.

Did I say that Dad’s moment of global infamy was priceless?  By the look on Mom’s face, Dad’s going to be paying for this moment for a very, very long time.  Next time, hit the gift shop on the way out, Pops.

Comments

I can understand that in any language. But it didn’t look that evil, I’ve seen worse from my wife.

Oil Can on September 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Priorities in the 21st Century.

Limerick on September 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

The daughter didn’t even try and help him get the ball! She was a hindrance!

lorien1973 on September 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM

The end of the video he is trying to explain that the ball was headed right for her and in order to protect her he had to dump her in the row of chairs in front of him.

She’s not buying it.

milwife88 on September 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM

No sex, no souvenir.

All in all, a bad day at the ballpark.

BobMbx on September 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM

What’s the wife going to do, threaten to cut off the nookie? He’s married with a couple of kids, that’s already happened.

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM

And than to have it go viral around the world, I almost feel sorry for him.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I guess you have to balance the cost of a ticket and whatever else the kids desire against the cost of babysitting, but I just don’t get little kids–especially infants–at a ball game.

If the kid can’t wear a glove and field his or her own position in the stands, leave the kid at home.

BuckeyeSam on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Besides, it should be clear to every married woman that men are basically dolts with an inner 12 year old waiting to spring at every opportunity. Why be surprised that the dude would forsake everything to get a cheap baseball.

Whether it’s having a Nerf-sword fight with his son in the Walmart toy aisle, or farting during dinner and then chuckling about it, men are goof balls. Accept it and move on.

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Well he could have swung the kid at the ball.

Limerick on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I think the more amazing part of this story is that it is a Japanese family with not one, but two children! They are the Kate plus 8 of Japan!

NotCoach on September 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM

The daughter didn’t even try and help him get the ball! She was a hindrance!

lorien1973 on September 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM

It’s a good thing I wasn’t drinking my coffee when I read this.

DethMetalCookieMonst on September 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Dad = Moises Alou

Daughter = Bartman

lorien1973 on September 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Bishop @ 10:19

teacherman on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

You are sooooo right! I’m the only woman in the house of 3 guys. I don’t understand any of them when they do stupid sh!t.
I wouldn’t change a thing however. They are who they are and surprisingly enough behave very well in public. At home however, farting has become an Olympic event.

milwife88 on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

He probably works 80 hours a week and has no child raising skills. He was trying to do a good thing and nature took over.

tomas on September 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM

What a d-bag.

Remember that when you’re elderly and your daughter throws your butt into an old folks home, “Dad”, and I do mean throw.

Tony737 on September 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Speak for yourself, pal. Some of us are responsible adults, trying to set a good example. teacherman on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Speak for yourself.

Akzed on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Taiwanese baseball game, Ed.

fusionaddict on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Guy = Democrats
Ball = Marxism
Daughter = America

Thank you.

The Mega Independent on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

The only thing that could make it worse is also spilling his beer at the same time.

HellCat on September 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I have seen that look on wives faces before and I can just imagine what she is saying to him. Talk about a man who needs to send flowers every day till the little girl is old enough to receive them and then he sends two a day.

old war horse on September 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Taiwanese baseball game, Ed.

fusionaddict on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

All look same?

steebo77 on September 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I guarantee he wouldn’t have dropped his beer. That cost’s $10 at baseball games now. The kid will heal.

DoS_Conservative on September 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Taiwanese baseball game, Ed.

fusionaddict on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

All baseball games look the same to Ed.

William Amos on September 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM

teacherman on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I’m sorry. I amend my earlier comment and hereby declare that I was only talking about myself. I also declare that I will never visit your house because I’m guessing that it’s awfully strict, boring, uptight, and no fun.

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I once joked about “The Look” to my wife. She really didn’t know what I was talking about. I will have her watch this, to show her what “The Look” is all about, as that is a prize winning “Look” that woman was shooting her husband.

MNHawk on September 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

teacherman on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

And then there are the rest of us?

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I at least hope his team won.

toenail on September 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Unfortunately, I’ve seen a look like that before (not because I dropped one of my children). I feel the sudden urge to buy my wife flowers.

kerrhome on September 28, 2011 at 10:56 AM

She may eventually “forgive” him, but don’t think for a moment this won’t be deposited into her bank of “stupid sh!t you’ve done that I can use against you at any time”. Believe it or not, that account continues to earn interest even after your death.

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

You have to admit that was a HUGE deposit.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Trying to read her lips . . . what’s Japanese for “couch”?

MassVictim on September 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM

He didn’t even catch the ball!

Little Boomer on September 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Let’s see…

1. There’s no place named “Taoyuan Stadium” in Japan.
2. There are no teams baseball teams called the Brother Elephants and the Lamigo Monkeys in Japan.
3. And… they don’t look Japanese.

fusionaddict is correct.

Demosthenes on September 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

You have to admit that was a HUGE deposit.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM

No argument.
As the father of a daughter, I can’t relate to this guy’s actions even a little bit. I question the manhood of any male that doesn’t think “protect your family” first. Even “protect the family jewels” should come in a very close second.

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

She not love him long time.

pseudonominus on September 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

She not love him long time.

pseudonominus on September 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Monitors all over the country being cleaned right now.

Extrafishy on September 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM

She not love him long time.

pseudonominus on September 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

OY!!!

SlimyBill on September 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Tigermom!!!!!!!!!!!

BuckNutty on September 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM

It seems they weren’t sitting next to each other before the incident. And he was cautious to remain out of arms length afterwards. This may be the last straw in a bad relationship.

Zaire67 on September 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Ding Ding Ding Ding …..

We have a winner.

Sir Napsalot on September 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Bishop @ 10:48am

Au contraire, my friend. I put the F U in fun, and you’re welcome anytime.

teacherman on September 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Think fast…
Turn and look at wife… “Did you see that? That ball almost hit her dead in the head. Good thing I put her down a row and blocked it…”

Later in life you’ll still talk about the day you saved your daughter’s beautiful smile from that fast moving ball.

RalphyBoy on September 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

You have to understand sociology:

In Far Eastern countries a baseball (or anything else) is more important than a girl.

In Middle Eastern countries they’d use the girl as a bat (to protect the man from being injured).

MaiDee on September 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

It an eight year old, Mr. Doodiehead.

And it’s the same gene that allows two guys to get mad at each other, have a fist fight, then go buy each other a beer.

That would NEVER happen with girls.

turfmann on September 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Oh he is in big trouble. BIG.

perries on September 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Taiwanese baseball game, Ed.

fusionaddict on September 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Let’s see…

1. There’s no place named “Taoyuan Stadium” in Japan.
3. And… they don’t look Japanese.

fusionaddict is correct.

Demosthenes on September 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Thank you both. It is clearly a Taiwanese baseball game (for further proof, actually watch the video where they announce this fact). Taiwan != Japan.

MaiDee on September 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

And we wonder why leftists call us racist. Not all Far Eastern countries are like 1800s China and not all Middle Eastern countries are awful toward women (FYI Israel is in the Middle East).

Pattosensei on September 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

What’s up with these scumbag news readers on CNN? Why do they think this kind of thing is funny?

Very juvenile.

Sporty1946 on September 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I caught a World Series ball once. Towering fly ball hit behind third base. I had my hands up in a sea of arms and it landed square in my hands. There where a few other people with their hands on it so I just yanked it down really hard and out of their grasp…looked over and my Dad was falling down towards me because he is the one who had his hands on it too, lol. Good memory! The ball was made in Haiti and for some reason is turning dark brown.

OxyCon on September 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM

MaiDee on September 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

The look on Mom’s face seems to suggest that things have changed.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

The only thing that would have been better (read: worse) would be if he actually caught it and went into a victory dance.

knangle on September 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

That’s the same look Palin gave Todd the other day when he suggested it might be time to let people know she isn’t running…

Bradky on September 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

The video plainly says it’s a game in Taiwan, not Japan.

But the look Mrs. gave Mr. is universal.

RebeccaH on September 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Unfortunately, this guy has him beat.

Summary: Guy punches wife. She grabs a knife to defend herself, he grabs one of his kids to use as a shield, and grabs a different knife.”All three of the couple’s children were present.”

taznar on September 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I’ve seen that look before. My wife is Asian. I know the look. Dude is up a creek without a paddle. Indefinitely! Asian women never forget. Not one damn thing.

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Not only did I catch a line drive foul ball off Troy Tulowitski’s bat, I saved the group of retarded children sitting in the row behind me. And some of them were gingers. I was happy I had my mitt on and was paying attention, otherwise I might be missing some teeth…not to mention the kids thought I was a hero of some sort…I also got a “Clean Catch” pin from the usher. I later got Troy to sign the ball…no I didn’t give it up, I had my own kids there…

kirkill on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

AsianAll women never forget. Not one damn thing.

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

FIFY

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Yeah, no. Dad who threw his son off cruise ship in Newport Beach wins the award.

This isn’t even close.

Christien on September 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Caught a home run by Benito Santiago in San Diego his rookie year (’87). It was in the middle of his hitting streak. I was a senior in college.

Fortunately, I did not have a child on my lap at the time. I did “steal” the ball away from my cousin, so that’s a win! ;-) I happen to be 6’2″, with long arms, so I was able to get my glove above his.

Dad got it on tape, too, that night. Replay on the news. He was probably more excited about it than I was! I have no idea where that tape went. Need to call my sister. She probably tossed it….

nukemhill on September 28, 2011 at 3:18 PM

AsianAll women never forget. Not one damn thing.

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

FIFY

SKYFOX on September 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Peer reviewed and confirmed.

OldEnglish on September 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

They love baseball in Taiwan. Back in 80s one time we had some Taiwanese army officers visiting Fort Knox and they came to an office picnic our colonel hosted on a Saturday. I used to always have the gear for an impromptu wiffle ball game in the car trunk — there were enough kids present at the picnic so a game got started.

The Taiwanese colonels were immediately interested and came over. Although not at all fluent in English, their enthusiasm for the kids’ game was evident, so shoot, we made them the umpires! They did that job expertly and a great time was had by all.

Steve Barton on September 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I don’t think he did anything wrong…

patch on September 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The important question: Did he get the ball?

kwbrownie2003 on September 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I’ve seen that look before. My wife is Asian. I know the look. Dude is up a creek without a paddle. Indefinitely! Asian women never forget. Not one d___ thing.

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Wrong.
It just so happens that the sweetest, most forgiving, most patient woman in the universe is my dear Filipina wife.

itsnotaboutme on September 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Wrong.

itsnotaboutme on September 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My wife is US born but off Japanese and Mexican American descent. When she gets mad at me, I’m not sure which side it is. (But I have seen that look)

hawkdriver on September 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Bishop on September 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I do not understand why men allow themselves to be demeaned in such a way. When did it become normal procedure to ascribe such a foolish picture of men to the world. I like goofing around but I do not consider myself a “dolt” and I would not appreciate it if women referred to me as such, just as women generally do not like men making sexist stereotypes about them. The only reason why men today act like such dolts is because they have been taught by example that that is how men are.

NeverLiberal on September 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

AsianAll women never forget. Not one damn thing.

1IDVET on September 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

It’s true. We don’t forget. But we do forgive. :-)

BTW, at least in my experience, the “not forgetting” isn’t a cultivated skill — it seems to be innate. And I think it’s more of a curse than a blessing.

I would very much like to forget the time my husband said that the kitten wouldn’t jump off the balcony of our new apartment, and then the kitten, who was terrified, promptly jumped. I’ve forgiven him completely — it’s not his fault that that particular cat was as dumb as a Democrat doorknob! — but I’ve never forgotten. I wish I could forget, because we did manage to find and retrieve the kitten after running frantically down the stairs and searching the whole block to find him cowering under a bush, uninjured, so in the end all was well.

I guess we double-X types are just wired that way. My conjecture is that, as with many behaviors of both men and women towards the opposite gender*, it’s in some way a survival instinct that may have made sense when we lived in caves, but seems less useful today.

*Grammatically, that should be a three-letter word starting with s and ending with x, but I’m not sure that will get past the filters.

Mary in LA on September 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM