Romney unfazed by Christie speculation

posted at 1:25 pm on September 28, 2011 by Tina Korbe

On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” this morning, Mitt Romney reiterated his intention to stay the course no matter what speculation swirls.

“At this stage, you just express what you believe, talk about the issues you care about and hopefully people will come to you in the final analysis,” he said. “But what happens on the part of the other people is kind of out of our control.”

In particular, he chalked up recent hype about a potential Chris Christie candidacy to the media’s need for attention-grabbing headlines.

“That’s your business,” Romney said to host Joe Scarborough. “Look, you’ve got to find some excitement. You have to find some intrigue.”

When Scarborough protested — “We’re not the ones flying him to New Jersey to speak at the Reagan library” — Romney didn’t back down.

“And that’s part of his business,” the former Massachusetts governor said. “Which is, to generate interest and support for him and his campaign for reelection, ultimately, in New Jersey and his agenda in New Jersey.”

Romney’s approach right now, he said, is to conscientiously reject the temptation to allow outside influences to rile him up.

“I can’t control what other folks are going to do,” he said. “All I can control is what I’m going to do. And I know I could get a quick bump in the polls by saying some outrageous and incendiary things which would draw a lot of attention. But in the final analysis, I think people will move toward the person they think can get the economy moving again and who knows the challenges the country faces and knows how to deal with those.”

So far, Romney’s relentless focus on his own strengths has impressed me. He never spends too much time mitigating his own weaknesses. Originally, that was a problem for me: I wanted to hear him cleanly and convincingly disavow his every past mistake. But I recognize it now as a kind of quintessentially conservative optimism that aims to focus on what can be done instead of obstacles. He knows every mention of Romneycare, every mention of Race to the Flop, every mention of his quiet on social issues does nothing to woo voters. So, he touches those topics lightly and moves on to what matters most in this particular election — jobs and the economy. It’s the right approach because, as Perry has repeatedly proved, disavowal doesn’t reassure and defensiveness doesn’t convince. Romney is not a more conservative candidate than Perry — but he’s certainly a more practiced campaigner. And while Obama has taught us that a brilliant campaigner doesn’t always translate into a brilliant president, Romney’s evident comfort level on the trail suggests he would bear up under the pressures of the presidency to pursue the priorities he, at least, deems important. Let’s hope, if he does become the nominee and goes on to win the presidency, he’ll also have a conservative Congress to ensure he picks those priorities with the maximum conservative input.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I agree. Romney doesn’t break campaign promises, and he has made some really good and conservative promises.

scotash on September 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Spews coffee on computer screen and keyboard!

scotash, don’t do that again… evah!

Romney doesn’t break campaign promises? For real? LOL…

TheRightMan on September 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

+1000

People have been misrepresenting Romney for quite awhile to fit their views and prop up their candidate…

Just so all know, I will vote for whoever our candidate is come Nov ’12 but I am not going to Rip your candidate for the sake of Romney. I’ll give props when it is deserved…all the candidates on our side are head and shoulders above Obama.

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Spews coffee on computer screen and keyboard!

scotash, don’t do that again… evah!

RightMan NOW that was funny!! haha

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Here is Romney’s views on the Israeli-Palestinian imbroglio…Again Romney showing his stature as a serious and well-studied candidate…

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I can’t agree with all the Romney says he wants to do. But he earned my respect by telling us what he intends! I don’t like the idea of a fence or of worrying about China’s currency. But at least he put it out there so we can discuss it. OTOH, I think he hit the nail right on the head in terms of pressuring China to recognize intellectual property.

I also agree with you about Romney’s competence. I would add that having an open mind and not being a slave to ideology is a great asset for him. He lacks the self-limiting restraints that prevent others from working with the other party and considering compromise solutions. The key to compromise is to know what is important to retain and what one can afford to give away. I trust Mitt to negotiate intelligently.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Agree. If Mittens is the nominee, the grassroots enthusiasm of late will wither on the vine, possibly what insiders want.

Fallon on September 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I can’t fathom how people can get excited about a Texas Governor who can’t even string together a coherent sentence or execute obviously rehearsed attack on Mitt.

Enthusiasm and excitability are not qualifications needed for the White House. I could care less how exciting or boring the candidate is.

Competence and experience is what matters in this election. It should matter in every election.

If the 2008 election taught us anything about electing “exciting” candidates…you might get a very incompetent President.

Conservative Samizdat on September 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Loved his recognition of Syria looking for a scapegoat for their internal unrest. I wish he had the same of Egypt and of the rivalry of Iran and Turkey. It was a brief statement, though, so you can only expect so much.

Here is the money quote (figuratively and literally):

The United States should put the world on notice that it will begin by taking a long hard look at American support for U.N. programs and that it will re-evaluate its relationship with any state that votes in favor of recognition. The United States also should communicate that we are prepared to cut foreign assistance to the Palestinians so long as they continue to pursue statehood apart from the negotiating table.

Not just talk, but a clear diplomatic response. One that matters to the Pallies!

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Appreciate your honesty MJBrutus and openness…that is all I and I believe others look for in a political discussion. I will tell you all I cringed along with many of you about Romney’s statement on man-made GW…however, looking at what he said after I picked myself up he said he had to “look” into how much was caused by man (if any at all -my comments) but he at least was OPEN at trying to understand IF there is a connection. That is fair. After understanding that I was a little more calm…

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Fallon on September 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Nonsense. Obamandias will GOTV for us in a way he have never seen in our lifetimes!

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Did you hear him tell Sean that he vetoed over 800 bills in 4 years? Yea for Mitt! Bush (even though I like him) 1 or none!

Bambi on September 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

This is interesting article as well…and will likely be THE determining factor on who can continue on…I do not see too many of these continuing on much after the next debate if their trend continues. After that it will be fun to watch who ends up backing who in the first tier.

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Also:

OUCH! That will leave a mark…

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Conservative Samizdat on September 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I had hopes for Perry. I wanted a good fight between he and Romney with the better candidate coming out stronger. It may still happen, but Rick is losing me. Not because of his lousy debates or any of the cheap attacks against him. He is losing me because he has not shown me any new ideas. He is not giving me a reason to vote for him. I looked at his web site and it has nothing on it aside from some good old days stories from TX. Great Rick, now tell me how you are going to earn my vote!

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

From that fundraising link I put out there in there his, I believe, campaign manager, made a comment to the effect that now that we are 5-6 weeks into this we need to get going on a fundraising team…this is the first you have thought of this?

This is another Romney, IMO, is the better candidate because he KNOWS how to run a campaign, business, Olympics, etc and will KNOW what to do on the first day walking into the Oval Office. American’s won’t be thinking “we sure hope he knows what he is doing” That is the question we’ve been asking for the last 3 years with one more to go.

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Meant to say “This is another reason Romney…”

g2825m on September 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Is Romney Obama Lite? Why not ask Barack Obama’s BFF Jamie Dimon he met with Romney.

Jamie Dimon head of JP Morgan Chase cough, cough, banker friend of Obama’s meeting with Mitt Romney. Jamie Dimon described as limousine liberal. I don’t know if Mitt has a limousine?

It’s clear the Liberals want to replace one Liberal with another.

Dr Evil on September 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Bambi on September 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

It was nowhere near enough but the correct answer is 12.

Dawnsblood on September 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Conservative Samizdat on September 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Exactly, who cares if a candidate can fill a stadium up, so can Justin Bieber…doesn’t mean I want him as president.

I like Mitt’s understated style. I read something by Clark Judge over at HH website that I thought reflected the type of man Romney is:

The Week’s Most Impressive News About the GOP Race
By Clark S. Judge: managing director, White House Writers Group; chairman, Pacific Research Institute

Excerpt:

For me, as revealing as any of these developments was something I heard on a trip to London this weekend. I was there for a long-standing friend’s birthday party. But I made a point of touching base with a few others who keep their fingers on the pulse of the British scene.

I was told that Mitt Romney had blown through town in June. The former Massachusetts governor’s campaign placed a brief report of this trip on their website after a few media outlets got wind of it. The minor news stories that resulted (none running beyond a paragraph or two) focused as much as anything on the candidate’s fundraising among Republicans Abroad. Republicans Abroad is an organization of GOP expatriates. Its London chapter is particularly active.

But besides fundraising chores, Romney scheduled meetings and a reception with leading British political figures, including Prime Minister David Cameron, Defense Secretary Liam Fox, National Security Advisor Peter Ricketts, and former Prime Minister Tony Blair. Reports I heard in London were that he made a very good impression.

Here is what impressed me. The GOP primary campaign has been focusing overwhelmingly on domestic issues. To the extent that foreign policy has been in play, debate has been on a broad strategic level and focused on the manifest failure of the current crew. But running an effective foreign policy requires not so much making big speeches in foreign capitals, which was Mr. Obama’s principal pre-election activity overseas. It requires working effectively with leaders of other governments, particularly our allies, and particularly for all sorts of reasons the British.

To me, Romney’s trip and the reports I received in London marked him as an adult in this arena. No fanfare. No grandstanding. He quietly laid the groundwork for a productive relationship with our most critical ally, should he win the presidency. I am not signed up with any campaign. But to me the readout on Romney’s trip was the week’s most impressive news about the GOP race.

sheryl on September 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

sheryl on September 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I’m liking Mitt more and more :-)

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM