Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on September 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Chris Christie has, essentially, frozen the race. The most important Republican moneymen in the country, Paul Singer and David Koch, are waiting on him, as are any number of donors and elected officials. This makes it much harder for Romney to consolidate his advantage on Perry. It also makes it harder for Perry to expand his circle of support.

“And so we’re all pretty much waiting for Chris Christie’s inner guidance.”

***

“Bill Christie, Gov. Chris Christie’s father, tells National Review Online that his son will make the final decision about a presidential bid. But as the governor mulls, he can count his father as one of many Republicans who would support him, should he jump into the presidential primary. ‘I know he’d be a great president,’ Mr. Christie says. ‘He has always been a leader. I think he would beat [President] Obama.’

“But don’t get too excited. ‘I’ve never asked him if he’s going to run,’ Mr. Christie cautions. ‘I trust if it’s going to happen, I’d be hearing it from him. I tell him, just let me hear any good news, but let me hear it first, or at least before you announce it to the world.’ Christie’s brother, Todd, he notes, is ‘very close to him and might know more than me. I don’t try to get into it.’”

***

“Joe Kyrillos, a New Jersey state senator and longtime confidant of Gov. Chris Christie, tells National Review Online that Christie will not run for president. ‘He, and all of New Jersey, is flattered by the outpouring of support, but I think he has made his decision,’ says Kyrillos, Christie’s 2009 campaign chairman.

“‘He is gracious in responding to folks like the woman last night, who emotionally asked him to reconsider,’ Kyrillos says. “That graciousness can be interpreted as the door still being a little bit open. But to be clear, he’s being gracious; he’s not being coy. I know the governor means what he says” with regard to the 2012 cycle. ‘I think he thinks that he has been very clear.’”

***

“You can also attempt a comparison to Ronald Reagan, who didn’t officially announce his candidacy until Nov. 13, 1979. But as with Mr. Clinton, when a candidate officially announces is not equivalent to when he is running for president in everything but name only.

“Everybody knew that Mr. Reagan was going to run — he had been included in every poll of Republican voters in 1979 — including Mr. Reagan, whose de facto campaign launch was in March of that year. And Mr. Reagan, unlike Mr. Christie, had run for president twice before, in 1968 and 1976.

“Maybe Mr. Christie has enough talent to overcome a late start, but there would be no good precedent for it; the cases of Mr. Clinton and Mr. Reagan are not even close…

“But even if a late start is not disqualifying, it will tilt the odds against Mr. Christie in all sorts of tangible and intangible ways — enough to more than outweigh the fact some Republicans seem to be clamoring for him now. (And in fact, polls find that rank-and-file voters are significantly more satisfied with their choices than they were a few months ago.) The risk-reward calculus for Mr. Christie has gotten worse with every day of feigned or actual indecision. One who has a high opinion of his intellect and his political skills, as I do, might infer that if he were really interested in running for president, he would have made up his mind sooner.”

***

“Is it right, as Christie says, that “the reason [to run] has to reside inside” him? Doesn’t the reason reside more importantly in the crises the country faces? The reason fundamentally has little to do with what Chris Christie feels in his heart. It has everything to do what he thinks the nation needs. If he thinks he can benefit the nation, he should run.

“It’s one thing for someone who has never run for office—a Colin Powell or a Bill Bennett or a David Petraeus—to decide he’s just not cut out for elective office, and to choose not to embark on that course. But Chris Christie—like Paul Ryan and Mitch Daniels, to mention only two others—already holds elective office. If any of them honestly thinks he could win the nomination and the presidency, and would be a better candidate and a better president than the rest of the Republican field—and if there are no show-stopping medical or family issues—doesn’t that public official have some obligation to step up to the plate?

“You don’t have to ‘feel deeply in [your] heart’ that you’re called to run for president. You have to think you’re the right man for the job. And, if that’s the case, you have a duty to your country to step forward.

“It’s not about you. It’s about your country.”

***

Click the image to watch.

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ll give it a shot …

He’s big enough to be his own running mate.

If elected, when he sits around the White House, he sits around the White House.

On inauguration day, will declare that all donuts now be called “Christie Cremes.”

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Shotgun Messiah on September 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Thank you. You’re here all week…

Lanceman on September 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Christie 2012: Squish doesn’t mean what you think it does.

faraway on September 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Chris Christie will be the first President in history to wear a sign on his butt that says “Caution, wide load”

Knucklehead on September 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM

What sign would Gary Johnson have? Weird Load?

Lanceman on September 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM

What sign would Gary Johnson have? Weird Load?

Lanceman on September 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I would suggest “Illegal Load”..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I would suggest “Illegal Load”..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Lanceman on September 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Define ‘fat’.

Lanceman on September 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I’ll give it a shot …

He’s big enough to be his own running mate.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Shotgun Messiah on September 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM

That was excellent, thank you for the laugh of the day.

nwsseeker on September 29, 2011 at 12:29 AM

OT: OMG!

Sox blow a 3-2 lead in Baltimore. They were 77-0 when leading going into the 9th until now. Carl Crawford, the 155 (or so) million dollar man, can’t catch a sinking line drive. Did this really happen?! Rays came back 7 runs?!

Craziest night of baseball EVAH!

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM

So now John Henry can concentrate on helping Barry get re-elected.

bayview on September 29, 2011 at 12:31 AM

OT:

Baseball fans/analysts use a lot of hyperbole. X is the best ever. Y just had the best night ever. Z was the most exciting player ever.

This was the best night of baseball ever in the regular season. Period. End of story. Even the 1908 pennant race can’t compare to what just happened.

Rays down 7-0….win 8-7. Red Sox 77-0 when leading after 8….blow a 3-2 lead with 2 outs in the 9th. Braves have a 3-1 lead…Craig Kimbrel, the probable Rookie of the Year, blows a save. Phillies win in 13.

Braves blow an 8 1/2 game September lead. Red Sox blow a 9 game September lead. In the SAME night. Within an hour.

Mind = blown. This is baseball heaven…unless, of course, you’re a Red Sox or Braves fan. Then it’s a hellish nightmare.

BTW, as the most delicious bit of irony, last week, ‘Moneyball” the movie premiered. ESPN: The Mag and Sports Illustrated both had profiles of the Red Sox Front Office, how they use SABRmetrics, how smart they are. How about that Carl Crawford signing, huh? John Lackey signing? Delicious….

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Very interesting night for sure..One for the record books..:)

PS..So what are we looking at..Yankees vs Phillies WS?..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM

So now John Henry can concentrate on helping Barry get re-elected.

bayview on September 29, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Eh, not really. He’s going to get dogged all off-season about whether to fire Theo and Francona.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM

PS..So what are we looking at..Yankees vs Phillies WS?..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Gosh, after all this drama, I really hope we don’t get a 2009 redux. I’d love to see a Rays-Brewers WS, or Rangers-Cards, or even Tigers-Diamondbacks.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM

That would be intersting matchups for sure..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Awe, I feel so sorry for the people of Boston. Heehehehehehehehehhehhe!

CTSherman on September 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Thank you, everyone. He does present a big target.

Shotgun Messiah on September 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Awe, I feel so sorry for the people of Boston. Heehehehehehehehehhehhe!

CTSherman on September 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Haha, yeah, my heart breaks for the city with 7 title wins in the past decade. :)

BTW, I suggest Martha Coakley, John Kerry and Elizabeth Warren have two new favorite Red Sox; Robert Andino and Evan Longoria. Hehe.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Glenn gave us quite a bit of talk about true Conservatives versus establishment Republicans.

Christie fits the latter value system more than the previous.

He’s a great salesman, for what he believes in he’s great but he’s a compromised disappointed disillusioned nation looking for a Presidency to happen.

And we saw how that worked out in 06.

We need a Conservative who’s willing to go the full boat.

Obamacare has to be repealed and the evil empire has to be dismantled, not incorporated, there’s no negotiating our nation away, again.

Speakup on September 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Speakup on September 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Good points..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Romney: Boston Red Sox
Christie: TB Rays

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Good points..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Thanks, we’ve got to learn to do better, to expect better.

Speakup on September 29, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I’m good with Cain.

deedtrader on September 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Went to the Globe’s Sports Section to leave a note of condolence, but left when I saw the thread:

” Why aren’t there more African American ballplayers to Redsoxx.”

I did not make that up, would not have written “to” Redsoxx.

bayview on September 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM

I’m good with Cain.

deedtrader on September 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM

I like Cain more after reading this.

I’d vote for Cain in a heartbeart. But I’ll confess to being a Christie fanboy. I don’t like everything about him, but I think he’s a good guy to take on the big economic problems washington is facing.

Cain/Christie Christie/Cain Cain/Rubio Christie/Rubio – all give me a GOP boner.

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM

The pledge! The GOP are all great!

carbon_footprint on September 29, 2011 at 1:34 AM

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Love me some Daniel Henninger. Thanks for the link.

Oh and BTW…………

$$$ Herb needs some Cash$$$

Knucklehead on September 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Knucklehead on September 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Go Herb Go!..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Obama: Atlanta Braves
USA: St Louis Cardinals

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 1:46 AM

” Why aren’t there more African American ballplayers to Redsoxx.”

I did not make that up, would not have written “to” Redsoxx.

bayview on September 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Carl Crawford has set race relations in Boston back at least 50 years.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Carl Crawford has set race relations in Boston back at least 50 years.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM

There’s a certain charm to the fact that a former Ray got the Rays into the playoffs this season ;)

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 2:08 AM

lorien1973 on September 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Except The Rays are in…..and the Fat man isn’t gonna run.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 2:09 AM

The leaders of our party, from Ryan and Christie to Sarah Palin, appear to have chosen not to lead the nation. Am I the only one who’s starting to get a little depressed about the state of the field? We had a chance to change the direction, now it seems like this election is going to be less about hat we believe and more about stopping Obama, which is nice, but doesn’t solve any problems.

cpaulus on September 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I’m sorry. I’ve read the quotes, the links, and ALL of the comments. The one I keep going back to is …

He hates unions like Southerners hate Pot Stickers!

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I’m Texan mind you – pot stickers are pretty damn tasty. Because I’m also a fatty I can’t help but wonder when Hoi Yin will open tomorrow. Of course you could probably guess that I’m a fatty from the fact that my take away from all these comments was “Pot stickers are so tasty.” It’s sad really.

Spicy pot stickers with garlic sauce. MMMMMMmmmmmm.

dieudonne on September 29, 2011 at 2:44 AM

cpaulus on September 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Yeah, I agree. These people –including Palin– talk the talk, but they aren’t running. At least not yet. Palin destroys Obama in facebook posts. But will she run?
I don’t think Christie is running, and it really sounds like Palin isn’t OR doesn’t want to, at least.

All of these people know what dire situation we’re in.
The people who could most positively affect things for the good aren’t running.
The old saying is we get the leaders we deserve. Well maybe we as a nation don’t deserve straight talkers now.

It is pretty depressing. Mitt Romney as POTUS? Jeez…what rubbish.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I still think Palin wants the sun to shine on the the people who would the prospective nominee. Romney appears to be 100% establishment, but the big donors are still holding back for the most part. I see Perry following Bachmann down over the next 2 weeks. If Palin gets in the whole field changes in response. Comments?

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 3:06 AM

I understand people holding out hope Palin would get in because she has never closed the door on it. But Christie and Ryan have. And while there are a couple of big Republican money raisers who are still uncommitted this cycle, there aren’t so many quality staffers who could start a ground-up national campaign in three months, and none of them are uncommitted.

Besides, Christie is to the left of Perry in all the social issues. If conservatives found Perry’s record disappointing once it was scrutinized, Christie’s would shock.

Adjoran on September 29, 2011 at 3:22 AM

We read that the Big Donors are “frozen” because they want to see Christie get in. What will it take for them to accept that he’s not going to run?

He’s already given the answer no definitively but people won’t hear it.

Palin talking about how she would be shackled or restricted by POTUS is ridiculous. She has always made sense to me; but that makes no sense.
What is she really thinking? That she can change the course of the country through Fox news appearances, Facebook posts, and a speech every couple of months? No. Something’s up with that.

She is too polically smart to believe that. I think Honda is right, it’s a floater and it might be an excuse for her to get out.
And it might soften up the shock to her most ardent supporters about her refusing to run.

I’ve also thought she HAS to run, but it’s getting to the point where I’m accepting that neither she nor Christie is getting in.
Very disappointing.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Hey B Man, What do you think about the Perry land deal? Will it blow him out of the race? If it does, I see MORE candidates getting in.

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Hey Adjoran, I’m sue there Dem strategists and staffers that would be happy to have their arms twisted (nudge,nudge,wink,wink) and could be persuaded to help out. But I’m pretty sure Palin wouldn’t touch ANY of them.

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 3:47 AM

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 3:41 AM

As long as it’s legal it won’t matter.

The buzz was that Romney beat Perry in the lastest debate. But I think Perry has one more chance to impress in teh next debate.

Meanwhile Romney is regaining the ground he lost when Perry was new to the race.

But, there’s a general vague dislike of Romney, isn’t there? I think Palin truly doesn’t know what to do right now. I think she is waiting and watching for Perry to go away. Bachmann was never a serious candidate and Palin almost certainly knew that.

So her indecision times well with the waiting for the other candidates to self destruct. Whether it’s all part of her plan or not, I don’t know.

She seem to have a hunters mentality. And hunters wait. For the right moment to strike. But first they have to decide IF they are going to strike.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 3:50 AM

damn typos

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I’ll give it a shot …

He’s big enough to be his own running mate.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Shotgun Messiah on September 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Com’n, don’t make fun of the guy after his terrible accident: it seems a driver saw Christie standing in the middle of the road but just didn’t have enough gas to drive around him.
But seriously, folks…..

whatcat on September 29, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I’m of the opinion that Palin is NOT undecided. Her actions ARE unpredictable, and rightly so, I remember Mike Gravel’s assessment of her back the day McCain introduced Palin. Gravel was being interviewed over the phone. “Don’t ever,ever,ever underestimate her, she knows what she’s doing. People ALWAYS underestimate her.” He was quite strident with the people interviewing him.

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 4:05 AM

I’ve been following politics for most of my life and I tend to be able to predict things fairly accurately, but she is an enigma to me.

With her it seems like she talks like a normal common sense mom, wife, concerned citizen, but underneath that there’s something more.
Like her mind is thinking of 5 different things.
It’s a strange feeling I get studying her actions.

I believe she knows what shes doing. But her line about being restricted by the “title”? I’m sorry but that doesn’t ring true.
There’s no way she truly believes that. Maybe she thinks she can’t win. She knows her name can be toxic to people.

She could want to be just a “worker” bee, but she was Gov. of a huge state. So that doesn’t ring true either.
She seems to want to fight , or at least inspire OTHER people to fight. But then what if she says “NO”? Well she’ll be able to direct national conversations using facebook and Fox, right?
No. I don’t think so.

What about when a republican (Romney the squish) takes over in ’13?
Is she going to have the same pull and clout? Uh, no, she won’t.

People will probably say “she had her chance, now lets see what Romney does.”

If she’s not undecided, she’s sounds like she’s landed on the “no” side to me. Greta may ahve been her vehicle to prepare her supporters for the end.

FWIW, Cain is a flash in the pan, too. She knows that too, I’m sure.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 4:15 AM

I think the “yokel act” is pretty good. She interviews quite different in person, than over a long distance video line. She does best in person with a crowd. She impressed in Hong Kong, again in India, and has the event in Korea on the 11th. She knows “Herb Cain” from appearing at the same TP events as him. This is an all or nothing shot.

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Well thats the thing, if she talked to 50 million people in a debate like she does on facebook, or like she did in Hong Kong, the race would be over that night.

She would be the nominee. But 99% of the country thinks shes Tina Fey. She knows that.
Imo, if she doesn’t run, the media won. I hate to say that but that’s what I think.

And this whole thing about ’16! or whatever, again, no.
99% chance Obama loses next year (no, he’s not going to resign) and a R becomes POTUS, probably boring Romney. So, what would she or Christie do? Challenge a sitting president in ’15? Nope.
This is it for a long time. If she and Christie don’t run now, they can forget it for a decade. The republican who wins next year will run for relection in ’16 and if they win? Well then you have a republican in the WH –who isn’t Palin or Christie– till 2020. The country almost certainly will not keep relecting republicans like that.

Hey, Bush sounded stupid in quick interviews too. Then when you read him at length a different guy showed up. She’s like that.

She’s beautiful so people tend to think she’s stupid.
And she talks normal common sense with an accent, and a high pitched voice. When I hear her, I like her but her voice does get on my nerves a bit. She doesn’t come across as a genius or deep thinker, but you don’t have to be to be POTUS. Jefferson hated being POTUS and he was pretty smart, I think.

All of those things matter because you vote for POTUS with your gut if you’re a indie or moderate. Indies and moderates are the ballgame.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 4:49 AM

“Define ‘fat’.

Lanceman on September 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Shotgun Messiah on September 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM

To adapt a Rodney Dangerfield joke:

Christie is so fat, if he wore heels, he’d strike oil!

I like Christe… and ice cream, too. But unless he enters the race… All this speculation is a joke.

Danny on September 29, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Hey B Man, It’s this year or nothing, people who think Romney is electable are somewhat deluded. Romney is so easy to demonize to the left, throw lies and the race card at him and he’ll fold. Palin has an accent? Damn, I guess I do too!The Obama Depression is going to be NAMED that before the election, the European Union could fall apart before Christmas, it’s a house of cards, either Greece jumps out or Germany does. The financial system is world wide inter-dependent. Meanwhile, Palin’s numbers are growing among independents and moderates.

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM

It is getting to the point that Christie and Palin are being jerks. I would add Trump but he has a real job.

IlikedAUH2O on September 29, 2011 at 6:52 AM

FEARLESS CONSERVATIVE 2012!

Accept no substitutes, even if Coulter, Kristol and all of the other Cocktail Party Republicans from Georgetown start having ChristieGasms.

PappyD61 on September 29, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Message to Paul Singer / David Koch: you can put your money behind all the Romney’s, Perry’s and Christie’s you want. Play your own little games in your own back yard as if none of us out here in fly over country mattered. Meanwhile conservative Tea Party voters are starting to get real excited about a guy named Herman Cain.

Darvin Dowdy on September 29, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Why all this hoopla? The dude says he is not running. I did like 90% of his speech the other night-he would add some excitement to the race, but he has said in everyway imaginable, he is not running..

Static21 on September 29, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Stuart Stevens, the guy running Mitt’s campaign ran Christie’s successful race for Governor. Christie isn’t running.

Ricki on September 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

What is wrong with Kristol? You think Perry fell fast, Christie has more skeletons in his closet than ….

stenwin77 on September 29, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Adjoran on September 29, 2011 at 3:22 AM

But, to Christie’s credit, he has said (two days ago) that he rejects the idea of allowing illegal aliens (he used the term, “illegal residents”) receive in-state tuition.

And the Koch brothers are Libertarians; I take pause to call them Conservatives.

But at this rate, I really wonder if that discussion is even meaningful what with the damages being done at present to our nation. I’d just be relieved if the GOP could nominate a candidate who was ethically sound and wasn’t lying in speeches to the public, and, was reasonably moderate to conservative on social issues with a respectable degree of private sector experience and who is tough on principles, all.

I like Cain, I like Romney, I like Gingrich, I’m getting to know Christie, for these reasons.

Lourdes on September 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Duty. This is why I think Palin is running. I think she is very much a person who understands that it is her duty to run, to lead, or make the attempt. I would be shocked and disappointed if she chose not to run because that is not how she has presented herself as a citizen of this country.

Christie has said repeatedly that he is not running. I think he understands that his duty is to be a one star general in the fiscal conservative cause and fight his battle on specific ground. Ryan too seems to have interpreted his duty as a specific location on the battlefield. This can only mean that they trust there is someone willing to take on overall command. Is it Palin? I honestly don’t know. Both of these men, and Gov. Daniels have been in political circles for a long time and I don’t think anyone doubts that 2012 is a crisis election year, what with the European Union falling apart around everyone’s ears, China quickly becoming a place not so good for manufacturing (I have that straight from a CEO who has decided to minimize exposure in China this year and expand in the Philippines), the mess just south of our border, our fiscal mess, etc. I can only conclude that they believe there is a leader willing to take on the nomination battle who will articulate what must be accomplished.

I have a difficult time believing that any of these men would not cast aside their doubts and throw their hats into the ring if there wasn’t someone already out there or in the wings ready to fight.

piglet on September 29, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Static21 on September 29, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Ricki on September 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I ALSO think that Christie has worked his way INTO liabilities rather than out of them by this APPEARANCE of gaming (running, not running, no really, not running, so run already, not going to…).

Christie HAS been consistent publicly that he ISN’T running so I am not clear on where the rumors continue that he is running.

If he comes out and says, “hey, I *AM* running” at this rate, I think he’s hurt his own credibility with the naysaying .

Lourdes on September 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I also have to say that the more I hear of Perry, the more I consider him to be everything that Bush was wrongly accused of being – a real cowboy, no intellectual thought behind his adopted principles, quick to jump to conclusions, hot-headed, and intellectually lazy. Maybe that’s my northeastern snob coming out, but that’s what I see. It bothers me that he reportedly became a Republican for political gain, not because he had a moment of enlightenment. I can forgive someone for once being a Democrat since I was once a fire-breathing liberal in my youth, but you should be able to trace your path to your current thinking, and Perry’s journey appears to have encompassed what was politically expedient.

I don’t think he can appeal to independents, but then Ron Paul is beating Obama in the polls, so this is going to be an unusual political cycle, which really helps those willing to eschew the traditional route to nomination. Cain and Palin come to mind.

piglet on September 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Lourdes on September 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Agree with you there 100%. He knows that too. I’m trying to understand the Bill Kristol angle in all this. First, he pushed Mitch Daniels, then begged, pleaded and swore that Paul Ryan was considering a run, now Christie. Is he trying to promote his online magazine by engaging in this? He was a huge advocate of Gov. Palin before she became a national figure.

piglet on September 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM

bigmike on September 29, 2011 at 3:41 AM

You think Perry has election “issues”, wait till Chris Christie’s past is looked into. This isn’t the time to throw an unvetted candidate into the mix.

I think Palin will run. She’s waiting for every possible candidate to get in.

stenwin77 on September 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Bill Kristol = out of touch with base.

balkanmom on September 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Bill Kristol = out of touch with base.

balkanmom on September 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I agree..It’s sad to watch..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Bill Kristol = out of touch with base.

balkanmom on September 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I agree..It’s sad to watch..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I agree, too. He makes polite commentary but it’s more like listening to “polite fiction read politely” when he comments.

Lourdes on September 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Good thing he’s not running because he’s said too many times that he’s not ready. This would be in every ad Zero runs next year and he’d waltz back to 1600 Penn Av with Moochelle in a hideous but costly gown. We’d be stuck with the Won 4 more years and will never recover as the country we know and love. Don’t believe for a second that Romney can win on the I’m not Obama sticker. Remember, he thinks climate change is real and we should pay to fix it. He and Huntsman are wealthy sons of wealthy fathers who know nothing of going to work each day and trying to pay their own bills. The Won never had to worry about making his own way, either. Someone always smoothed the way for him from the grandmother to Bill Ayers. That’s the reason he has all the czars, to smooth the way and do the heavy lifting he doesn’t want or can’t do.

Kissmygrits on September 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM

The elite are so pathetic and transparent. Who will they turn to next to “for the good of the country”? Bob Dole?

More than Leftist totalitarian control of America what Bill Kristol fears is the coming of some vulgarly plain-talking and shockingly thoroughgoing conservative from the stix who might actually stand up for the average American and upset the carefully wrought and time-honored arrangement he and his pale-assed royalists in the GOP have worked out with liberals in Washington.

rrpjr on September 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Lourdes on September 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Good point..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM

DEAR GOV. CHRISTIE:

PLEASE DO NOT RUN FOR PRESIDENT in 2012.

YOU ARE NOT READY TO BE PRESIDENT. FLATTERY IS NOT REALITY.

DEAR GOP:

GET A GRIP. THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

mountainaires on September 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM

As “un-PC” as this sounds…I’ve heard people say they wouldn’t vote for him because he is too fat…

You have to be pretty near “perfect” or have a legendary pedigree to run and win.

balkanmom on September 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I make fun of him, too.

Don’t elect Christie. He might actually fix things.

IlikedAUH2O on September 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM