Palin: Is the title of President worth it?

posted at 8:45 am on September 28, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Is she or isn’t she? Sarah Palin still isn’t saying whether she will jump into the presidential race, but she did give an argument for not doing so to Greta van Susteren on Fox last night. Palin wondered whether a “campaign would be too shackling” for the kind of change she wants, and noted as she often has that one doesn’t need a “title” to have an impact:

Appearing on Fox News’ On the Record, a favorite venue, Palin appeared to be talking herself out of the race in an interview with host Greta Van Susteren.

“Is a campaign too shackling?” she mused. As the GOP’s 2008 vice presidential nominee, Palin said she felt encumbered by “handlers.” Running for office “prohibits the freedom one needs to really make a difference,” said the self-described “rogue” politician.

Added Palin: “You don’t need a title to make a difference.”

That doesn’t sound like someone who has the needed “fire in the belly,” as is said, to embark on what would undoubtedly be a bruising and difficult run late in the campaign for the nomination. This sounds more like a leading activist preparing an explanation for disappointed followers as to why she’s decided to remain an activist rather than make a return to electoral politics.

In this clip from the show, van Susteren makes the obvious point that Presidents have tremendous power to create change, but Palin insists that being outside the system would give her more freedom of action:

That doesn’t sound like someone who wants to endure another season of handling and caricatures. Here’s the entire segment from last night’s interview:

Comments

Like a fine old Japanese piece of art, one small lack of perfection.

GaltBlvnAtty on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Incoming . . .

TeleL on September 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I don’t think she can get back there. She has to run. It’s the only way she can save face now. Her supporters won’t take any other answer.

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF DUDE.

First time I saw a politician that I agree almost 90%. That’s Palin.

First time I found a politician with astute instinct. That’s Palin. Palin was the Conservatives’ shining armor during the dark days of Statist HealthCare Debate a couple of years ago.

So I will always trust Palin.

If she doesn’t run, then I will continue to support her.

Let GOP, which has never fully supporter Palin, will have Romney, Perry or Cain or whoever poor wannabes that it always wants to be.

Palin and the Conservatism will continue to rise. Sorry, at the GOP’s demise. Ah. Something GBeck prophesied not long ago.

TheAlamos on September 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

What Sarah needs to get in, is a “draft Sarah” movement which compared to the earlier draft Daniels, draft West, draft Ryan, draft Perry, draft Christie, and so on, is nothing. Palin supporters are of the “Do what you want, Sarah, we love you” variety. Where is the “draft Palin” movement that causes a candidate to think twice and then enter the race in reply to some great demand? That ingredient is missing re: Sarah Palin.

Paul-Cincy on September 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

You mean something like a “Run, Sarah, Run” day?

OnlyOrange on September 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM

For Jason Coleman and unseen. Sarah Palin is a Republican who is proud that she’s not a member of the party machine. Compared to most party politicians, she’s independent. She has made it clear a number of times that she is a Republican and is committed to reform the party from within, either with a title or not.

Simply stated, she a Republican who will not let the party apparatus tell her what to do or how to do it. She understands that our problems are the product of BOTH parties.

The machine does not want her to get more power, not as a candidate, and not as a kingmaker. It will be up to the people to decide what they want their party to represent- the status quo or reformation of the part itself. If Palin chooses not to run, the machine will continue to back-stab her because they know she will be pushing for a lot of pink slips for both D’s and R’s, and the media will continue to try to destroy her.

I know that some of you don’t and won’t support her for a variety of reasons, some valid, some not so valid, and that’s fine. If she decides not to run, I hope that you will support her in whatever she plays.

NoNails on September 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

THANK YOU!!!! ELEVENTY, AND IN ENGLISH 101!

The reason I am not writing much is precisely because of this. I am patient. If she doesn’t decide to run I won’t run for the hills! Would I be pi$ed? Yeah! Can I do anything about it? Nope-except for the blog, I’d pursue/blog about other topics that are commented as much or more than The Palin Express itself. Would I write-in her name on 2012? Perhaps, if the ticket is as bad as I think it’s gonna be. From what I have read, many people voted for HER for PRESIDENT than McCain-so think about that tidbit.

I am quite happy that Cain is getting the attention he deserves. His answer about Obamacare and his struggles with cancer (TWICE) melted my heart b/c my mom died from breast cancer. Does that mean I will drop my support for Palin? Nope.

Giuliani is waiting for Palin to get in in order to knock Romney out, and that’s it. If more come in, they are gonna enter the race to get rid of Romney. If/when Palin gets in, she will suck up so much air that candidates will drop like flies (and I mean that in a sincere, nonchalant way. Not bragging here.

I am waiting for the word, checking the news and see what happens next. After all they’ve been through, I will always wish them well and admire their strength and faith.

ProudPalinFan on September 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

FWIW,

Rush said today he doesn’t think that Palin is running.

PappyD61 on September 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Palin’s down to 17.7% chance at intrade.com that she will declare this year. Lowest I’ve ever seen it. :|

Paul-Cincy on September 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

C’mon Folks we are at 907..Let’s drag this thing across the finish line..:)

Dire Straits on September 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Will she run? I’m beginning to think maybe not. Too bad. Best candidate, but I would understand why she might not want to do so. So who for 2nd choice? Not sure yet. Cain has some good points, but some unknowns. Taking a wait and see approach.

But if Palin got into the race at any time, I’d be happy to vote for her.

IrishEyes on September 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM

gracie on September 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Good gravy. Where have you been for three years?

csdeven on September 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM

If Palin is not a candidate or a potential candidate, I just don’t see how she remains all that influential.

holygoat on September 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Hey Paul-Cincy, I used to think that intrade would be a fairly good barometer on a regular basis, I watched it vis-a-vis Palin for a while, ALMOST NO ACTION. I would suspect that the ones it shows most action on are supported by gamblers. Personally it’s been more than 20 years since I last bought a lottery ticket, and no, it is not against my religion.

bigmike on September 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM

(even at the cost of putting Obama back in).

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Bwahahahahaha!!!

I have for sale, the Official Cut-Off-Your-Nose-To-Spite-America butter knife for you freaks who would rather see Obama in than vote for Romney. The only requirement is that you provide a photo of yourself hacking your nose off while screaming at the top of your lungs…..

“I told you 8astards so!!!!”

csdeven on September 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM

merely the typical Beltway politics of our permanent political class

idesign on September 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM

That’s pure campaign language, aimed directly at independents. She’s hitting that independent thing hard lately.

Axe on September 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I don’t think Palin will ever be “handled” again, no matter what she does. I’m not making any judgments about whether that’s good or bad for a campaign; I just can’t imagine her ever assuming that posture again.

Axe on September 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Great post.

I think you’ve got it.

B Man on September 29, 2011 at 1:48 AM

ProudPalinFan on September 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Seriously?? The family goes from practically unknown status to celebrities in a 3 month period. Nine months later SP decides to leave office. After that they get millions for speaking engagements, book tours, reality tv shows, fox news gig, and a cool 400K for telling teens why they should be careful not to get pregnant (by a teen who did just that and only spoke if paid).
People that like them see that they are long suffering god-fearing Americans who gosh darn it didn’t ask for this scrutiny and the unfair characterizations of them. Name one celebrity that doesn’t get paparrazi type scrutiny.
Good for them that they found a niche and became wealthy as a result – nothing at all wrong with that. But the minute they entered that pursuit they stopped being the all-American next door family they seem to want people to perceive them as and became a tv product.
Strength and faith is something exhibited by the millions of people who struggle with job losses, teen pregnancies, and a tough economy without the benefit of being millionaires. They do good just to make it from one check to the next, relying on family and friends to help bridge the gaps.They don’t whine to their family and associates about how unfair it all is because they don’t want to set a poor example for their kids and the hard reality is that sometimes “life just sucks” and it is unfair to raise kids without showing them hope. Few of these everyday people are remembered after they are gone save their children and a few friends. Their works are spoken of in terms of how they had a positive impact on their circle not how they somehow spoke for a generation of people or political persuasion. No, the importance of their contributions was motivated first and foremost by love not a quest for fame or fortune.

Maybe I just set my bar a little higher than most on what real faith and strength in our country is about….
Because at the end of the day we are a great country because of those millions NOT because of the clever politicians who claim to speak for them.

Bradky on September 29, 2011 at 6:53 AM

I’m a Sarah Palin supporter – but if she attempts to run third party without seeking the GOP nomination first – I won’t support her.

She had this opportunity a few years ago – we all did – to break off from the GOP and form our own party. We all AGREED to remain in the GOP and work to change it. If she doesn’t participate in the GOP primaries and skips right to a third party run – it means she’s abandoned what we all believed to be our primary mission – reforming brand GOP.

I do not think she intends a third party run.

I also think that she is now on a fast moving “Merry Go Round” and she’s looking for a way off it – she may not have one. I’m convinced she doesn’t want to run – based on what she said last night. Note I said … “don’t want to run” as opposed to “won’t run”.

Her only road out of this situation may be to run.

What she did, last night, was called a “floater”. She floated an idea about maybe she won’t run. She wants to see our reaction and – if she does decide NOT to run – she wants us to be mentally prepared for that announcement.

She’s trying to get back to the place where she can say “No, I’m not running” … without all her supporters marching off in disgust.

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

My opinion is that Palin doesn’t want to BE president (unlike the
other 7 Dwarf Plus Candidates). When she says “she doesn’t need
a title”, she may mean that the title by itself means
little to her.

Palin is a workaholic who gets things done. Her style as gov.
was to get both sides working together to accomplish more in her
2 1/2 years than most governors achieve in two terms. She
is not interested in the pomp and circumstance. She is not a 2-3 martini business lunch type of person. She is interested
in doing the work to get this country back to where it should be.

Everything with Palin is about the work. This country should be so lucky as to elect her.

Amjean on September 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

IMO you overestimate the impact supporters have on any politician – including Palin. I just don’t think Palin worries about losing face – most politicians understand that sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

It’s a given that if she doesn’t run many of her supporters will line up to support someone else. I would expect many supporters to still be interested in her speeches, comments on things, etc even if it’s all done via the Tea Party route. And if she doesn’t run she will lose much of the media attention – hard to say if that thought is that terrible to the Palin clan.

katiejane on September 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Run Sarah Run

One smart Cat

I think everyone here (regardless of support or non-support for Sarah) would agree with authors assessment?

RedLizard64 on September 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM