National Tea Party organizer invites Morgan Freeman to experience a Tea Party rally

posted at 4:53 pm on September 28, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Incautious accusations of racism and analytical assessments of race relations in the United States seem to have proliferated lately — and, consequently, it’s sometimes a struggle to remember both what the historical facts have been and what type of a society we ultimately aspire to be. So easy — for someone who has neither witnessed nor lived any of it — to forget the ugliness of attitudes of racial supremacy, the injustice of segregation, the horror of slavery. Equally easy to assume a post-racial society is one in which formerly oppressed minorities are accorded penitential, preferential advantages to futilely attempt to erase a past that can never be erased rather than one in which all people are accorded simple human dignity and judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

This was all brought forcibly to my mind last night when, sitting in an almost-empty theater weeks after its release, I at last watched “The Help.” How historically accurate the movie is, I’m not sure, but it certainly served as a potent portrayal of a South I’ve never known. I grew up below the Mason-Dixon line, but my extended family is from Kansas. None of my direct family members could afford the luxury of hired help of any color whatsoever. In fact, like one of the protagonists in the movie, my grandmother left home and school at age 14 to become a housemaid. Her paycheck helped to pay her own family’s expenses. She was one of 10 children; life wasn’t cheap.

All of this is to say, a race-based worldview is so foreign to me — and a self-reliant attitude that opposes government intervention and favors fiscal responsibility so natural to me — that I’ve had a difficult time understanding how it is that anyone could accuse Tea Partiers of racism, let alone (as AP put it) an actor I’ve loved in every role he’s ever played. How can Maxine Waters, Frederica Wilson, Andre Carson, Morgan Freeman, et. al fail to see that the vast majority of Tea Partiers just want to unleash economic opportunity for all; to restore the freedom to work for the benefit of their own families, their own health care and their own retirement; in short, to enjoy basic God-given inalienable rights without trampling the rights of others? Why is it so hard to see Tea Partiers oppose Obama for no more and no less a reason than that he’s implemented ineffective policies?

It must be – surely it must be — that they’ve never taken the time to truly understand the Tea Party movement. That’s why I was heartened to read this letter from national Tea Party activist Ali Akbar to Morgan Freeman, in which Akbar invites the actor to actually attend a Tea Party rally. What I like best about it is that Akbar pays tribute to the inevitable, complex and important way in which past experiences shape a person’s worldview, sometimes serving as safe and reliable touchstones of reality, sometimes arousing unreasonable suspicions. Lived experiences blind as well as illuminate, and we are none of us immune to unfounded prejudices — in favor of this type of toothpaste or cake mix, this church or that political party. Yet we have little choice but to live according to the truths that we know based on the evidence of our own lives — unless life brings us experiences that alter our understanding. Experiences like oh, say, attending a rally for a cause we’ve never considered.

Below, excerpts from Akbar’s “Tea Party Invitation to Morgan Freeman” — but I encourage you to follow the link to catch the whole thing. Well worth a read.

Dear Mr. Freeman,

My name is Ali Akbar. I’m a 26 year-old African-American small business owner and a tea party activist. I’m not writing to rake you over the coals in the way that many conservatives have done in the last 48 hours. Heck, I wrote a passionate open-letter refuting many of your claims already, but this is not that. This is an honest and standing invitation. I do believe that you are wrong in what you said about the tea party, but I would rather prove it to you than castigate you for your comments.

I also understand that your reflexive comments came from experience. You grew up in a different America than the one that I was blessed to be born into. We both grew up in the south, but I never saw ‘White Only’ signs. I’ve been called a name or two in my three decades, but racism has always been the exception in my life, not the rule, as it probably was in your youth. I understand your suspicion of conservative political movements. It is rooted in pain and fear and memory, and though I never saw the horrors of segregation that you did, we share that cultural heritage. …

I’ve attended dozens of tea party events. I’ve helped organize them, and I’ve even spoken at a few. The tea party is not what is often depicted in the news. It is people of all colors who are terribly concerned about the direction that America is heading. We don’t trust big government to make decisions for us. And we fear that the present administration’s spending is going to lead our country down a path to insolvency, much like what Greece is currently facing.

Mr. Freeman, I’m not asking you to adopt my political views. You’re in your seventies, and a political shift is not in your future. I’m reaching out to you because I want you to think better of your fellow countrymen. Barack Obama is in the White House, and Herman Cain just won the Florida straw poll. America is the land of opportunity for black Americans like never before.

I’m hoping that you’ll come to a tea party in Tennessee — the place of your birth. Really anywhere in the country that works for you; I’ll set it up with the one of the thousands of activists I know around our great country. I’d be delighted to introduce you to good people who will welcome you with open arms, disagree with you, and then feed you some of the best barbecue you’ve ever tasted. …

Sincerely,

Ali Akbar

Comments

Is this guy’s name really Ali Akbar?

bridgetown on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

This is a great letter. Mr. Akbar puts the spotlight on famous liberal; response is not expected.

BobMbx on September 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Ali, great letter. I’m very happy to see such a thing occur. I am also a pragmatist. Don’t get your hopes up about people like Mr. Freeman. These things have less to do with God, Country, and Faith and more to do with “how much publicity this will generate in order to accomplish thiose thing that are more important to me” – when it comes to those from Hollywood. And believe me, there eare VERY few exceptions (maybe Jon Voight). Mr. Freeman is so talented and is one of my favorite entertainers. However, his personal views are contrived because few, if any, from Hollywood have personal views. They only have publicity views. Good job, though.

HomeoftheBrave on September 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Note to Ali: sorry buddy, lefties prefer name-calling, race-baiting, demonetization and yes, racism to well, actually debating or truly defending their claims.

Odds?

ONE MILLION TO ONE that you will not have GOD sitting next to you at the next Tea Party rally.

Opposite Day on September 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Geez, sorry for all the darn typos. :(

HomeoftheBrave on September 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

“Why is it so hard to see Tea Partiers oppose Obama for no more and no less a reason than that he’s implemented ineffective policies?”

Because they are racists…

Seven Percent Solution on September 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

BobMbx on September 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

the_nile on September 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

They see what they want to see. They live in a fictional world where everybody is out to victimize them (except those who really are).

Mr. Freeman won’t go to a Tea Party rally because nobody likes to be proven wrong.

I once had a customer tell me that my airline (SWA) flies to Atlanta. I said “No ma’am, if you look at this route map …” then she smacked it out of my hand and yelled “I said you fly to Atlanta, YOU FLY TO ATLANTA!!!” and stormed off. She knew I was gonna prove her wrong.

Mr. Freeman will say he’s too busy or some other excuse to get out of it.

Tony737 on September 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Did he also invite Freeman’s granddaughter-he-raised-from-a-child-fiancee?

Snark aside, good move by Ali.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Is this guy’s name really Ali Akbar?
bridgetown on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Not only that, his name is Ali A. Akbar.
Yes, he’s AAA!

I thought his letter to Morgan Freeman cut to the chase.
Let’s see if the actor is brave enough to take Triple A up on his invite.

Shirotayama on September 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Ali Akbar is a most gracious gentleman and I wish I could live up to his splendid example.

I’m just having a little trouble understanding how a “journalist” could put a microphone in front of Morgan Freeman’s face and allow him a soap box for his ignorant racist hate speech without saying:

Dude… yer screwing your grand daughter.

I mean… Ewwww…

DANEgerus on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Geez, sorry for all the darn typos. :(

Yes, I am too…..

Opposite Day on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Great post Tina! Ali writes a great letter, I hope Morgan reads it.

tim c on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Cain missed an opportunity to do this himself.

rrpjr on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Let me know if this works or if Mr. Freeman changes his mind.

Because my white, born in North Dakota mother-in-law, and her sister are convinced to the very marrow of their bones that the only reason anyone is opposed to our current president is because they are racist haters. Nothing anyone has said to them has made any difference. The sister has gone so far as to refuse to speak to anyone in the family who says even the slightest thing against this president no matter what the topic because she sees it as a personal attack against her because she married a black man and “How is that supposed to make her and her son feel, knowing that her family are racists and that they hate a black president?”

I would be interested to know if anyone who defaults to Race Card playing ever changes their mind.

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Cain missed an opportunity to do this himself.

rrpjr on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Perry: “Akbar is heartless”

faraway on September 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Cain missed an opportunity to do this himself.
rrpjr on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Didn’t the Morgan Freeman interview happen AFTER the debate in Orlando last week?

Am I getting my timelines mixed up?

Shirotayama on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Dude… yer screwing your grand daughter.
I mean… Ewwww…

DANEgerus on September 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

That’s step-granddaughter, you ignorant cracka.

The Other McCain on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

The sister has gone so far as to refuse to speak to anyone in the family

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Don’t you already have the perfect world?

faraway on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

A very touching letter and a good example on how we should conduct ourselves. An example unconditional acceptance I can only aspire to achieve. Kudos to Ali Akbar and his parents.

IowaWoman on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

And by “ignorant cracka,” of course, I mean, Republican.

The Other McCain on September 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Well played, Sir.

And never underestimate how the actions of one person can change the world: Arab Spring began when a Tunisian street vendor set himself ablaze to protest Government heavy-handedness.

I’d like nothing more than for someone like Morgan Freeman to visit a Tea Party, meet us, and return to Hollywood and say, “we were wrong: those are good, decent people who are fearing for where America is heading.”

VastRightWingConspirator on September 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

As an aside, the comments about “Woody Allen Part Deux” that Morgan Freeman is playing out is now officially fair game.

I say it should be a story that the media should seize upon. I know it is “gotcha”, pay back revenge type of tabloid messiness, but hey, Freeman says we are racist with NO EVIDENCE but there is ample evidence he is a cold stone pervert.

Just ask his ex-wife!

Opposite Day on September 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

THis young man has more class in his little finger than all of Hollywood. He makes a mockery of liberals claimed legendary “tolerance” by his own genuine tolerence expressed with sincerity. Showing Mr. Freeman for the bigot that he is, well, it’s sad, but nonetheless true.

JAM on September 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Good job Ali!

Fish on September 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I don’t mean to be rude about your extended family, but if I had a family member who stopped speaking to me for such reasons, I would probably be grateful for the silence.

DrMagnolias on September 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

It takes bravery to admit that you may have made a mistake. But, for Geel Piet, bravery is like breathing. It’s just something you do.

That bit at the end of the letter referring to a character played by Freeman was great. A polite challenge that I hope the actor accepts. My guess, Freeman will ignore it.

hepcat on September 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

O/T I just heard on the radio that DOJ has asked SCOTUS to hear Obamacare quickly. The must think they have Kennedy in the bag.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I remember a post,back when the 2008 Election was
starting to warm,up,and its true then,as it is now!!
===================================================

allrsn:I fully agree,look the Republican Party are in the
21st Century as race relations are concerned!

However it appears the Liberal Democrat Party are
stuck in the 1920 to 1950 still in race relations!

And however again,Rev.Wright,Al Sharpton,Jesse
Jackson are stuck in the slave days,1700 to 1800′s
that’s the reality of it,and yes Wrights attitude
is like the Middle East,accept for the killing
part and they are stuck forever in the 3rd.Century!

canopfor on May 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Someone else already asked them to review yesterday and Rush was talking about it on radio

ConservativePartyNow on September 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM

That’s step-granddaughter, you ignorant cracka.

The Other McCain on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Well..er…O.K. Say, didn’t Frank Marshall Davis also have some of those same types of problems? I mean, the guy Barry calls Uncle in his book?

a capella on September 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Morgan wouldn’t have to travel that far. He could go visit the Tuscon Tea Party with Kuuleme, who wrote this wonderful piece. He would also have the pleasure of meeting what I consider is a Perfect Woman (beautiful, sharp-witted, incredibly talented offspring- and can handle a sniper rifle). Of course, Kuuleme would probably verbally filet him, both for the racism remarks and his- how should we say- ‘unconventional’ personal relationships.

michaelo on September 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

ConservativePartyNow on September 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, I know that the states want it heard quickly but The Won’s D.O.J. joined the request.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

He’s the first person I have ever heard of who should legally have an exclamation point at the end of his name!

Say it with me… Ali Akbar!

Nice gesture Ali… I hope Freeman accepts the invitation. And if he doesn’t, then maybe, just maybe he will shut up.

BTW, Freeman called the Tea Party the “Tea Partiests” I believe. You can always tell someone is just quoting bullet points when they mangle a label like that. Heck, he struggled to remember Mitch McConnel’s name. The dude is trying to be relevant when he obviously doesn’t follow politics, other than what he’s heard around Hollywood.

Mr_Magoo on September 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Even so, it can still be repealed if the Congressional numbers and WH occupant line up right. It’ll just be more messy and take longer.

a capella on September 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

That’s step-granddaughter, you ignorant cracka.

The Other McCain on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

And by “ignorant cracka,” of course, I mean, Republican.

The Other McCain on September 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

That’s a given.

portlandon on September 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Don’t you already have the perfect world?

faraway on September 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Well family gatherings with one or two of the alpha women pointedly not speaking to everyone else in the room are not as fun as one would suppose.

Sides are taken, hostilities arise, tempers flare, etc. Even though no one else is allowed to have an opinion for fear of reprisal, they are still free to lecture all of us en mass in spite of the fact that they are offically not talking to many of us.

My mother-in-law is so bad that she is actually running customers off at my brother-in-law’s business. (She does some part-time bookwork for him.) People do not want to come in an hear it. The brother-in-law actually fired one of his employees who told him that he needed to find a way to keep his mom from talking politics at work because she was scaring people away.

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Cindy Munmford:I have SCOTUS Blog,booky marked,here ya go,hot
off zee press’s!!:)
=============================================================

U.S. appeals on health care
on Sept. 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm
*****************************
*****************************

Arguing that Congress clearly had the constitutional authority to impose the new health insurance mandate on citizens across the Nation, the Obama Administration on Wednesday afternoon filed its own challenge to a decision last month against that mandate by the Eleventh Circuit Court. The 34-page petition is here (docketed as 11-398). The Administration also asked the Court to consider whether the many challenges to the insurance mandate are barred by a federal law — the Anti-Injunction Act.

This was the third petition filed Wednesday seeking review of the Circuit Court’s August 12 ruling. In that decision, a divided three-judge Circuit panel struck down the insurance mandate, but ruled that the scuttling of that provision would not mean that the entire Affordable Care Act was unconstitutional. A group of states and other challengers are contending both that the mandate is invalid, and that that means no part of the law can be constitutionally enforced, since the mandate is so crucial to the overall Act. (The two other petitions filed Wednesday are discussed in this earlier post.)

“The court of appeals’…decision,” the government filing argued, “is fundamentally flawed and denies Congress the broad deference it is due in enacting laws to address the Nation’s most pressing economic problems and set tax policy.”
(More……)

==============================================================

The 34-page petition is here (docketed as 11-398).
***************************************************

SCOTUS BLOG
***********

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Is this guy’s name really Ali Akbar?

bridgetown on September 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Yes, I’ve met him. Dead-ringer for Sammy Davis, Jr. and a nice guy.

baldilocks on September 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Screw Morgan Freeman…with 30 video tapes of Rev. Wright and his racist audiences.

Karmi on September 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Crap,thats Munford,not,Munmford,le typo Cindy–:)

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Screw Morgan Freeman…

I think I’ll leave that to his granddaughter. Thanks anyway, though.

MNHawk on September 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

That dang near brung a tear to my eye.

Good stuff, I wish that at least this would get some national press.
But I am sure that the white house will never let the press run it.

esnap on September 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Of course mom says they are losing business because he had too many racist customers who want to see poor people die in the streets. – Lily

Well, I mean, like, who doesn’t?

Tony737 on September 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Yes, I’ve met him. Dead-ringer for Sammy Davis, Jr. and a nice guy.

baldilocks on September 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM

So true! I was trying to think of who he reminded me of.

***

Great letter. This should be sent out to everyone, give it as much exposure as possible. He articulated TP sentiments over bogus racism charges better (and much more personally) than many of us ever could.

Bee on September 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Clearly well thought out, from the heart and well written. Excellent letter Ali. I sincerely hope that Mr. Freeman takes you up on that offer.

In fact, I hope the tea party keeps making those kinds of offers. It’s really the only way to combat the MSM narrative.

JusDreamin on September 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I hope Freeman takes him up on his offer. If he has any courage at all … he will.

darwin on September 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Great, great letter btw.

darwin on September 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Maybe Mr. Freeman will surprise us all and visit.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Thank you, Ali, for your leadership and taking the high road. You are a gentleman and first class American!

BruthaMan on September 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Regarding the petition……who talks like that?

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I dunno,if Freeman isn’t connected to any activist organizations
he might see the light,however,the Left have an axe to grind,going
back to the 2010 November Elections!

And that,is when,the Democrats became up close and personal with the Tea Party,and if anything,the Progressive Socilaists,er,Team
Hope/Change are in a Full Blown Political War,to MAKE THE TEA PAR
TY,their #1 ENEMY,and making d*mn sure that their base of Union
Goons and Proxies see it that way as well!

So,in case you haven’t noticed,whether it be on the Senate floor,with Mary Landrieu,attacking the Tea Party,or Chrissy
“Tingles”,or any of the other MSM channels!

Oh no,the Democrats are gonna use the Tea Party Meme Mode to
cover their own failures,and so,either they successfully de-
monize the Tea Party or they exhaust themselves trying to sway
public opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
===========================

Regarding the petition……who talks like that?

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Cindy Munford:No idea,heres the short and sweet end of it!:)
===========================================================

tHE QUESTION
PRESENTED IS:

1. fiHETHER ¢ONGRESS HAD THE POWER UNDER aRTICLE
i OF THE ¢ONSTITUTION TO ENACT THE MINIMUM COVERAGE
PROVISION.
PETITIONERS ALSO SUGGEST THAT THE ¢OURT DIRECT THE
PARTIES TO ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

2. fiHETHER THE SUIT BROUGHT BY RESPONDENTS TO CHALLENGE
THE MINIMUM COVERAGE PROVISION OF THE PATIENT
PROTECTION AND aFFORDABLE ¢ARE aCT IS BARRED BY THE
aNTI-iNJUNCTION aCT, 26 U.s.¢. 7421(A).

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Oh no,the Democrats are gonna use the Tea Party Meme Mode to
cover their own failures,and so,either they successfully de-
monize the Tea Party or they exhaust themselves trying to sway
public opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Blame the Tea Party.
Blame the Republican “obstructionists”.
Blame Europe.
Blame Bush.
Blame ATMs.
Blame Arizona.

~~~~sigh~~~~

hillbillyjim on September 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Maybe Mr. Freeman will surprise us all and visit.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Cindy Munford:I hope so:)

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Bluff called.

SouthernGent on September 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Blame the Tea Party.
Blame the Republican “obstructionists”.
Blame Europe.
Blame Bush.
Blame ATMs.
Blame Arizona.

~~~~sigh~~~~

hillbillyjim on September 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM

hillbilljim:Thats a *Double Sigh*,a PR War it is!!:)

canopfor on September 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Morgan “Red” Freeman: Barack Dufresne Obama, who crawled through the Chicago Machine and came out clean on the other side.

These prison walls are funny. First you hate ‘em, then you get used to ‘em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That’s institutionalized. They send you here for life, that’s exactly what they take. The part that counts anyways.

All he wanted was a Pepsi.

Christien on September 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Something very few people have pointed out is how hard it is to move to a “post-racial” world when Hollywood and the rest of the media will not allow racism to die. I refuse to see the movie “The Help” because I am sick of having the attitudes of people with my skin color shoved in my face in an attempt to make me feel guilty for the actions of people long dead.

TimLenox on September 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Dolphin Tale, the movie that starts Freeman and which opened this past weekend, underperformed substantially in the box office on Sunday. It was strong on Saturday, which was the day that Freeman’s statement began to circulate widely.

Personally, I was going to take my son to see it Sunday. After Freeman’s statement, I opted to stay home. My son got to game instead, so he was probably happier.

No wonder the elites don’t care for the free market system.

Mutnodjmet on September 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Yes, Ali Akbar is a real person. He’s also a good guy and a serious guy.

But this Freeman creep will never take Ali up on the offer.

Warner Todd Huston on September 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM

What a class act Ali Akbar is. What a great letter. I am nearly Freeman’s age and I lived through the Civil Rights movement. So the comments from Freeman made me curious to see if he was active in the movement. Well, according to his bios, he wasn’t. Do I fault him for that, maybe a little bit. But it is revealing that he probably has no idea of what kinds of people are involved in any movement since he didn’t participate in one of the most important one of his life.

Deanna on September 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Have they told you that “Lily” is a racist, white-supremacist’s name cause Lily’s are white?

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM

“Incautious”? Really?

Jaibones on September 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Er, Lillies are white…

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM

TimLenox on September 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but the book is nothing of the sort.

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Tina:

They don’t fail to see it Tina. They know fully, beyond question, that the accusations they level are lies.

This is nothing more or less than cynically accusing a vast swath of the American people of racism in order to serve their quasi-religion of Leftism.

What they do is not ignorant. It is evil. See it for what it is. It is the only thing that makes sense.

IronDioPriest on September 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I understand your suspicion of conservative political movements. It is rooted in pain and fear and memory, and though I never saw the horrors of segregation that you did, we share that cultural heritage. …(Ali Akbar)

This part of the invitation I don’t understand. Conservatives have been tarred and feathered with this stereotype of being the racists and that we have something to apologize for. I am sick and tired of being slandered and libeled with this nonsense.

We conservatives have absolutely nothing to apologize for. The racists have always found a cozy home together in the Democrat Party. They are the ones, the liberals, who look at everything through race based glasses and try to keep everyone dumb enough to not see the truth. If it were for conservatives the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed.

Please, you do us no favors by allowing the leftists to start with the premise that we have something to apologize for regarding race relations.

Sporty1946 on September 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Maybe Mr. Freeman will surprise us all and visit.

Cindy Munford on September 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

It will be the longest night of his life.

chewmeister on September 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

A prejudice is a prejudgment, an assumption made about someone or something before having adequate knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy

I’m sure that Mr Freeman would hate for anyone to prejudge him.

Mr. Grump on September 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Nope, but if they did and I thought they had any sense of humor at all I would tell them that Lily is also the color of some livers and ask them why they hated Chicken Americans.

The only people who would appreciate me making light of such a serious topic would be my husband and my father-in-law. Pops would follow me out to the car and say “You are a Great American” where his wife can’t hear, but my husband would have to listen to his mom harangue him about how mean his wife is the next time he saw her.

I have just wondered if anyone has ever recovered from this kind of default Republicans are EVVVVVIIIILLLL corporation owners and racists. Would Mr. Freeman be the first?

Lily on September 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The Tea Party movement was a long time coming, and it will be a force in politics for many years to come. This would terrify Liberals no matter what. But the fact that it came into existence a few months after the first Black President was sworn into office gives them a convenient excuse to demonize it.

So we’ll be able to convince Liberals that the Tea Party isn’t racist when we can pry that meme out of their cold, dead brains.

ardenenoch on September 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Whoa, going to my church is a prejudicial experience. Good one, Tina. Maybe I should… just not go to church!

Vatican Watcher on September 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Brilliant Mr. Akbar!

sheryl on September 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Ali is young and sincere…I wish him well. I am not nearly so young, and too cynical for that kind of sincerity. Here’s my message to Morgan Freeman:

Freeman, you whiny millionaire b!tch, go fu*k yourself. Your (equally hateful lefty) friends in the media are more than happy to help you embarrass yourself by printing your ignorant, illiterate ranting against your perceived “white” enemies; what a shame you aren’t smart enough to know that these leftists aren’t your friends, and that this straw man you have invented is just that — a figment of your tired, old imagination.

Maybe you were stoned or drunk when you blabbed your racist nonsense — I’ve done stupid sh!t like that, I guess — or maybe you are just a racist at heart. I don’t really care which it is, frankly, because I don’t idolize celebrities, especially actors. You guys are all phony pr!cks, anyway.

Jaibones on September 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Nice letter, but he should get his history straight. The horrors of segregation were the policies promoted by the Democratic Party, NOT Republicans. The party that eliminated slavery and instituted the Civil Rights Act was the Republican Party.

Common Sense on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Common Sense on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I’m not the brightest bulb in the sea, but didn’t the Grand Old Party win over a bunch of Southern – and perhaps conservative – Democrats years back? I thought I read that somewhere…

Mr_Magoo on September 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Civility and outreach.

Yakko77 on September 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Ali needs to learn two historical facts;
-It was the democrats who stood in the way of civil rights legislation. The defeat of Nixon by Kennedy ensured years of conflict and probably deaths since Nixon was likely to push for the legislation that came later on.

-Ali has taken a muslim name of the people who really sold his ancestors into slavery (I’m assuming he is a convert and stand corrected if that is the case).

peacenprosperity on September 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Sporty1946 on September 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

In context of Akbar’s entire excellently presented letter, I would call this a quibble. However, I agree with Sporty’s entire assessment. The Republican party has had some issues in the past, but it is nothing compared to the list of racists in the history of the Democratic Party. With this sentence, Akbar positions the Republicans as automatically in the wrong. Not correct.

mdenis39 on September 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

what a massive self-aggrandizing kabuki operation, all to counter the baseless accusations of a man WHO IS SCREWING HIS OWN GRANDDAUGHTER.

rayra on September 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

mdenis39 on September 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Actually he is correct. He never mentioned Republicans, a smart move on his part. And the Democrats, especially the Dixiecrats, were conservative at one time. They were big supporters of states’ rights, gun ownership, fiscal balance, less government, etc. Unfortunately some of them were also racists. I think that’s what Ali is referring to in that statement.

Deanna on September 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Great letter but I take issue on one point:

The libs have given conservatism a bad name. It was Republicans more than Democrats who stood with LBJ to pass the civil rights act. Republicans were not the party of poll tax, Sanger, slavery, etc. History has been revised to make this seem that Republicans have been the problem. The only thing Republicans object is the handout which robs all people of freedom and dignity, and racism in any form (including quotas in Affirmative Action).

Christian Conservative on September 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

That is a great letter and I would hope Mr. Freeman would accept the invitation, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. As for the politicians, who are churning this political divide into racism, they know the tea party isn’t racist, they’re just saying it to discourage independents from voting for tea party candidates. The 2010 election scared the Democrats and they firmly believe it was the tea party (and of course not their policies) which made that happen. They’ve determined that the best way to attack them is not to have a battle of ideas, they know they’d lose that, it’s to just call them racists and tell everyone they’re opposing Obama because he’s black, that way you don’t have to discuss ideas.

If we had a free press in this country, the Democrats would never be able to get away with this ruse, however, we have a press that has chosen to assist in these lies and foster them between the stories they print and the rigged polls they post. This constant pushing of the racist meme is taking its toll but my hope is that people, like Mr. Akbar, can win the day and show those independent voters that the tea party has a majority of people who only want what’s best for the whole country.

bflat879 on September 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Deanna on September 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Hey, I think that’s what I was saying a couple of posts ahead of yours. Not as eloquently as you did however.

One cannot assume when referencing conservatives they mean Republicans. Context is key.

Mr_Magoo on September 29, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Sporty1946 on September 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

If we don’t have anything to apologize for, how can we be expected to keep paying, in perpetuity, to atone for it?

Extrafishy on September 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Akbar’s a class act.

College Prof on September 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

He has to be right, he is colored.

borntoraisehogs on September 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Don’t think I’d have effectively said that Freeman can’t change his mind ’cause he’s too old, but otherwise a very good letter.

I hope Mr. Freeman will take him up on the offer, though it’ll be a pleasant surprise if it occurs.

Midas on September 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM