Fox News poll: Romney 23, Perry 19, Cain 17

posted at 6:53 pm on September 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Essentially a three-way tie.” Last month, Perry led Romney 29/22 with Cain gasping along at six percent. This is what happens when the big takeaways from your debate performance are (a) you hate your own base and (b) you sound brain damaged.

Cain has benefited not only from his debate performances, but also significant media attention after winning the Florida Republican Party’s straw poll on Saturday.

Perry now garners 19 percent, a drop of 10 percentage points from a month ago. That puts Romney back in the top spot with the support of 23 percent. Last month Romney was at 22 percent.

Newt Gingrich recovered some ground and now stands at 11 percent. Ron Paul receives the backing of 6 percent now compared to 8 percent before the September debates.

Bachmann registers 3 percent support, down from 8 percent in late August and a high of 15 percent in July.

Not to take anything away from Cain, but a chunk of those new supporters are surely coming from voters who have grown dissatisfied with Perry and Bachmann (who’s clearly done) and are turning to the other strong charismatic tea-party conservative in the race. That’s as bright of a green light as Palin could possibly get to jump in. If she enters, she’d fill that same “outsider” niche as Cain but with a vastly greater amount of star power and name recognition. With support for the top tier this soft, there’s really no reason she couldn’t be neck-and-neck with Romney the day she entered. Her problem is that the time pressure she’s facing is about to get more intense: Florida’s on the verge of moving its primary up to January 31, which will have a cascade effect in forcing Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina to move up too. Instead of the caucuses being held the first week of February, they’re more likely to happen the first week of January. Losing a whole month of catch-up time when she’s trying to get organized in Iowa and South Carolina will hurt. Better move soon.

Incidentally, this isn’t the only new poll in which Romney now leads. He’s up six points on Perry in Florida according to PPP (49 percent of Floridians disagree with his “Ponzi scheme” comments versus 37 percent who agree) and he’s up six points on Bachmann in Iowa(!) according to ARG, with Perry now in third. Much depends on how many resources he’s willing to plow into Iowa, but as Bachmann withers and doubts about Perry metastasize, it’s not inconceivable that Romney could … run the table. Imagine it. The part I’m most looking forward to is Paul Ryan, erudite critic of ObamaCare, delivering the keynote at the Republican convention right before we nominate the guy who inspired ObamaCare as our nominee. No, scratch that — the part I’m most looking forward to is how it’ll instantly become a grave sin against conservatism to criticize a guy whom we’ve dumped on for years as King RINO once he’s the nominee. In other words, McCain redux. Fantastic.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Because in most states you don’t need to be a Republican to vote in Republican primaries. His support is from Indies who will vote for him in the primary then turn right around and vote for Obama in the general.

angryed on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

This might have been true in 2008, but times have changed. Obama is not well loved by independents right now. He owns the economy now.

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Cain isn’t going anywhere, and neither is the Chuckie doll.

Face it folks, we have to choose between Jethro and Mr. Drysdale.

Ted Torgerson on September 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Ok, thats fine I respect that. I mean as a Christian you see Catholicism as a fraud you see Judaism as a Fraud, I get that, you have a different believe system. What bugs me is that I feel like getting into this game of tearing apart peoples belief system is wrong and I feel like these people are unfairly targeted.

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I am sorry, fraud is not the best term to use. It obviously has a positive impact on the believers. I do not use the word fraud with any of the other religions, so I take that back.

Just like Judaism, non-extremist Islam, Hinduism, et.al., I respect it and I should not use strong words to describe the fact that I do not particularly believe in the dogma.

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I mean as a Christian you see Catholicism as a fraud you see Judaism as a Fraud
nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Hmmm…Judaism as a fraud would make Jesus a master fraud artist.

whatcat on September 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Perry in 2012.

More American than Felipe Calderon.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on September 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

As I said then, game on.

I just do my best to prevent atheists from making the mistake you were making.

Don’t take that wrong. It’d only be a mistake if you were indeed atheist. Since you’re not, have at the other sects all you like.

As for atheism proving the big bang, or anything of that sort, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Atheism doesn’t try to do anything of the sort, nor should it.

I also don’t think there is a legitimately atheist plank that claims something from nothing. The “from nothing” is a creation of followers of a god-construct used to bash atheists. . . it’s an invalid argument.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. I hope your guy does better in the next debate. I just want someone who I think can win and if its Perry over Romney even though hes not my choice Ill be happily on board.

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

FamilySearch.org is LDS.

I was under the impression that Ancestry lifted all of the LDS data when they were friendly, which of course made them unfriendly.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Thanks, saved and book marked, gonna try and locate some ancestors from Krakow for a trip next year.

Knucklehead on September 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hmmm…Judaism as a fraud would make Jesus a master fraud artist.

whatcat on September 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I dont think its a fraud, I respect it, I was making a point about being more respectful to all religions thats all.

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Ten to one most of these Mittwit trolls (Sheryl, Haner, Petunia, etc) are Mormons. Heck, they may even be the same person. They are beyond irrational about him, and often hateful, too.

Stayright on September 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

lol… um I’m not a mormon, just a blue blood Episcopal from New England. But stay classy, your true colors are showing.

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Ah, a blue blood. That explains it.

promachus on September 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Hmmm…Judaism as a fraud would make Jesus a master fraud artist.

whatcat on September 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

LOL, a bit of a mixup there, nswider. I was commenting on carbon_footprint’s take, not yours.

whatcat on September 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Thank you. I like Perry, but love Palin. She is not running, so I have to stick with Perry right now. Though, I do like Cain.

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Yep. Ironic that, in a quest for purity, base voters will end up handing the nom to a guy who has anything but.

changer1701 on September 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Debates matter. Performance matters and these polls are proof of that.

nswider on September 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

It means communication skills matter. It means it’s especially important for conservatives to communicate their world view effectively. It’s why Perry has tanked and why Palin will sink like a boat anchor in a debate.

It’s why Cain is rising.

rickyricardo on September 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Cain isn’t going anywhere, and neither is the Chuckie doll.

Face it folks, we have to choose between Jethro and Mr. Drysdale.

Ted Torgerson on September 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM

That is so funny, it really is! Too bad we can’t get Granny to run.

Terrye on September 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM

angryed on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Here in Indiana we don’t register by party..we just register to vote..but you can only vote in one primary. There is no party registration here at all.

Terrye on September 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

LOL! Allahpndit just loves stirring the ol’ pot :-)

You do know that he promised to start dismantling ObamaCare on day 1 with an EO, right? You also know that he has promised to leave the states free to come up with their own solutions and learn from each other, right?

Good humor though. Keep ‘em coming.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Ah, a blue blood. That explains it.

promachus on September 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Explain what exactly? That I would like my president to be able to string two sentences together without losing his track of thought? High standards apparently. And I’m only a blue blood in the sense that my family has been in New England since the 1600s and even tried unsuccessfully to start the revolution a hundred years early. So we’re as WASP as they come.

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Darnit. According to Palinistas, she had a brilliant plan all set to go. Something about waiting for candidates she had no way of knowing would be in this race knocking each other out. Now she’s in a “time pressure” situation an endless will she won’t she game.

Meanwhile, Cain is coming across as far more conservative than Palin with her DNC-styled talking points about “Big Corporations” and the “Special interests”. Plus he’s a much better debater and extemporaneous speaker. No way he’d hear about ‘not needing a title’ or other stream-of-consciousness blather from Cain. In short: Cain 1, Palin 0.

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Why is the book of Mormon – which was translated from angelic golden plates in New York in the 1830′s … why was it written in the King James language? LOL – no one in New York spoke that way in the 1830′s and the plates were from a time LONG before the King James style of language appeared on this planet.

Question for you out of genuine curiosity. Is that para above what you actually meant to say? Or did it get twisted up a bit.

It appears that you are saying that the “King James language” is on the plates themselves. Did you mean “why is the translation in KJL”?

My understanding from debating Mormons that the actual text on the artifact is something called “reformed Egyptian” by the LDS.

I’m not challenging or supporting anything, just want to make sure there’s not a smoking gun I can go grab in the future when I need it.

A Mormon would say that “the characters which are called among us the reformed Egyptian, [were] handed down and altered by us, according to our manner of speech” BoM 9:32

I’d love to be able to counter. I’ve always thought that the plates themselves were scribbles and the translation was via “seer stone”.

AGAIN, I’m not supporting or challenging anything, just would like to be able to pull out their own smoking gun if it’s actually there. It would really save me alot of work in some debates.

Also, a genuine nitpicky question, wasn’t in translated in William Penn’s Pennsylvania and not New York/Amsterdam? I can see KJE as common on Penn’s estate.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

This is just one poll. It’s a data point and shows some shuffling of the deck if it is accurate. I’ll wait for some more polls to confirm the movement we’re seeing before I buy in to it.

That said, I’m liking Mitt more and more and Perry is losing me. I’ve been waiting for him to give us something related to what he would do in the WH. So far, all I can gather from his debates and even his website is that he’ll look back nostalgically on his happy days in Austin. Yippee kayay, Rick.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Note to self: Don’t try to write when Windows is trying to force updates on computer making mouse go crazy, and you’re preparing dinner. Rewrite:

Darnit. According to Palinistas, she had a brilliant plan all set to go. Something about waiting for candidates she had no way of knowing would be in this race knocking each other out. Now she’s in a “time pressure” situation [after] an endless will she won’t she game.

Meanwhile, Cain is coming across as far more conservative than Palin with her DNC-styled talking points about “Big Corporations” and the “Special interests”. Plus he’s a much better debater and extemporaneous speaker. No way he’d we’d hear about ‘not needing a title’ or other stream-of-consciousness blather from Cain. In short: Cain 1, Palin 0.

Buy Danish on September 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM

In other words, McCain redux. Fantastic.

McCain got pretty close to beating Obama, all things considered. If we’re looking at a McCain redux with Romney in 2012, what’s not to like?

Let’s face it, the only way the GOP is going to beat Obama, is with a “RINO”. Even Perry is a former Democrat, and Bush Jr. wasn’t the most staunch conservative now was he? Nope.

Independents will vote for RINOs, not right-wingers like Perry, Palin, or Bachmann. If you want to win, you need the independent vote. With Romney, you’re bound to get some of the Democrats too, who’re fed up with Obama being a tool or disgruntled Hillary supporters.

The GOP should have run Romney in 2008, although I guess they probably would have, had the economy melted down in January 2008 instead of September 2008. We didn’t know how much we’d need the CEO President until then.

McCain and Obama were both clueless on the economy.

Seixon on September 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I’m a bit curious here Lawdawg. . . what’s your position on concealed carry, open carry and the 2nd in general?

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Love them. Yes, I’m aware of Christie’s support of the assault weapons ban. But you know what? Last time I checked, even Democrats are afraid to challenge the NRA nowadays, which means any kind of federal attack on gun rights is a non-issue. And what, are you telling me that Mittens “I joined the NRA in 2006 to get their endorsement” Romney has firm convictions on gun rights? Ditto for his stance on illegal immigration. Ditto for his stance on just about everything.

And this all sidesteps my initial point which was Christie is strong on entitlements, which is the major issue facing the country. If I’m going to vote for a moderate Northeastern Republican, I’ll take the honest one with a strong stance on entitlements.

Lawdawg86 on September 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Is Allahpundit peeved about Romney returning to frontrunner status because Romney has the best chance of defeating Obama, which is something we absolutely must do if want the US to last 25 more years.

thuja on September 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Seixon on September 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Romney is no McCain. McCain has no business acumen. He is a politician through and through. He was also a lousy campaigner with no message. He couldn’t separate himself from Bush because he considered it blasphemy to criticize Bush. And then he figured that bringing in a frozen Oscar Madison to play off of his Felix Unger routine would magically save his campaign. All of that was before those “suspending” his campaign blunders.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Lawdawg86 on September 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. Nope, not for Mitt. Will never ever, ever pull a lever for Mitt, I’d throw my vote away first. Which is safe because I’m in Alabama.

I’m more concerned about Christie’s positions beyond the AWB. Which is why I asked about concealed and open carry.

Thanks for the reply.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Ultimately I feel I can trust Romney on the economy. The guy knows what it takes to right our economic ship and understands how China is screwing us over in trade dealings. Romney realizes that we are on the other side of the 21st Century Opium War here. Free trade is good but not when we are against a government-sponsored mercantilistic economy like China’s. There was a reason we embargoed the Soviet Bloc after WWII and in times of past calculated dumping was a cause of war.

I’m not really interested in social issues like abortion and gay marriage, although Romney is magnitudes better of a role model on family values than some serial adulterer like Gingrich and McCain. All of Romney’s kids have grown up to be respectable adults with families of their own and that counts for something in my book.

Is Romney a little flaky on some issues? Sure. That’s the price any politician pays if they are trying to govern as representatives of their constituents whose politics differ greatly from your own. Romney had to deal with a veto-proof Massachusetts legislature controlled by the Dems.

haner on September 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Is it the whiff of success that is keeping you back? Well worry no more. The makers of the Official Palin Crying Towel(tm) are proud to present our newest product. The ultimate in nasal protection for those reluctant Mitt voters. It’s comfortable. It’s effective. It’s stylish. It’s the all new Official Romney Nose Plug(tm)!!

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Well, I’m not trying to push a Christie candidacy here or anything because I don’t think he will run, but I don’t think you need to worry about any of the candidates going after our guns. Even Obama, who is clearly not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, has kept gun control at arms length– and for a reason. We won this debate over the last twenty years; to be precise, we beat the sweet hell out of the Dmeocrats on this issue, we beat ‘em like a red-headed stepchild, to the point where there is now a widespread, bipartisan consensus in Congress that attacking gun rights at the federal level is nothing short of political suicide. God Bless the NRA.

Lawdawg86 on September 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Heres how it looks like itll be- Romney will see-saw with perry, perry may get better in debates, but will ultimately lose, when rubio, christie endorse romney. Romney picks rubio for vp. Obama dumps rainman and puts Hillary as vp. Then its a nail-biter. You heard it here first!

drballard on September 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Romney will elimanate obamacare, rubio will shepard immagration reform through- tough borders, once established, followed by earned citizenship for those in the country (after border enforncement) via military service or steep fines, with a guest worker program with a path to citizenship. Like it or not, those 12 mil aint getting sent home on a bus.

drballard on September 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Tea party sypathizers will choose one candidate as the anti-Romney. It will not be Bachmann (self-aggrandizer) or Perry (heartless SOB). So Cain it will be if he can find Israel on a world map, or Palin if she is able to make the sell. Even Palinistas will abandon her if her non-viability becomes obvious.

exdeadhead on September 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

drballard on September 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM

IF, Romney wins the nomination and picks Rubio as VP it would make it a lot easier for most of us to swallow this bitter little pill.

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Nope, it’s Romneycare, pure and simple.

As for your snark. I’m a Palin firster, but if she’s not on the ballot, so be it. I’ll vote for others, I won’t stay home.

Alabama’s EV’s are safe for the Republican, I just personally will not pull a lever or fill-in an oval for Mitt.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

exdeadhead on September 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I can’t take Cain seriously. I like the guy but he there is no way that he is prepared for a presidential run. I think that Perry is the best challenger to Romney. Perry is sliding, but he’ll find his groove. I think that Romney is the better candidate, the more I learn about he and Perry and I think that he’ll win.

I’m not going to guess about Veeps. I will say that if I had my way Romney would select Marsha Blackburn.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

MARSHAMARSHAMARSHA!

drballard on September 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

drballard on September 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Sorry Jan :-)

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Lawdawg86 on September 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

When it comes to gun control, I won’t tolerate an executive that isn’t fully against it. Simple as that.

It only takes a freak election to swing the House and Senate back to strong Dem. Couple that with some Gears of War kid being stupid, and voila, a new Brady Bill. I’m not going to trust a squish on gun rights not to go along to get along.

There are plenty of examples of “20 years of work” being gone in a near instant.

I like Christie on alot of things, but Nos. 1-10 I don’t tolerate squishes on. Play with the modern amendments all you want, but stay away from 1-10.

1-10 are the world’s best yet devised defense from tyranny, touch em, and you instantly become my enemy.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

My current faves of the candidates running:

Perry
Cain
Newt
Bachmann
Santorum
Romney
Paul
Huntsman
The pot smoking guy

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

What do you have against the stoner? I think Johnson is great. He did a fantastic job as Gov in NM. I wish that he could campaign well and stood a chance. If he were really in contention I would have him at 3 at least and maybe competing with Romney for my vote.

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

MJBrutus on September 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I actually have nothing against the stoner. And having lived in the Land of Enchantment for three years, I will say that nothing bad can come from that state, save Billy the Kid and Bill Richardson.

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

That’s the problem with letting South Carolina and New Hampshire determine both the nominee and Next-In-Line™.

Steve Eggleston on September 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Steve Eggleston on September 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Just wanted you to know, love your site. Have for a while, SondraK pointed it out to me.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

So, let’s take the pledge. As those who are adamantly against all things Obama, let’s think twice before we comment here, vis-a-vis, putting down those who are on the GOP ticket. From the frontrunner, Romney, down to Johnson. We have more in common with these people then we do with Obama and his Czars and his heads of department. It is so easy, and refreshing to do.

I, carbon_footprint, as a follower of conservatives, conservative principles and the GOP, hereby declare, that from now until the election of 2012, that I will not turn to negative measures against my conservative brethren, nor will I put forth negative comments towards any GOP candidate for President of the United States of America. We are brothers and sisters of a united cause of idealism and we are the last hope for this country. This country, the best country ever in the history of the world and the only hope for the world. No more use of the word, RINO. No more use of the words, True conservative. We are all, alike minded Americans and we are all the last hope for the world. We are not statists, socialists nor progressives. We shall fight until the last drop of our blood. We are better than the liberals, and we shadll prove it from this point forward.

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Thanks. I do have to post more though :-) (and I have to get Shoebox to post).

Steve Eggleston on September 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

McCain and Obama were both clueless on the economy.

Seixon on September 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

If 53-47% is “close” to you, I have little reason to trust the rest of your analysis. Losing by 6 points as a GOP RINO to a nobody cypher connected to radicals of every stripe is nowhere near “close.”

What we need to give voters is a choice, and that means finally bucking these establishment losers that a) gave Democrats a supermajority in 2008 by supporting Democrat policies in their second term and b) running a candidate in the same mold as the one who brought us a) so weak that America literally voted for “Hope” and “Change” as though they were intelligent political ideas.

We ran the perfect RINO, previous to that we had a president who was puled from conservatism to RINOism, who was already at where Rick Perry is now when he started.

You’ve got to be kidding me Seixon.

BKennedy on September 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Congratulations to Rick Perry!!! your appeal to “heartless” Republicans appears to be paying off in your trip out of the frontrunner position. Congrats again because it took you only 6 wks to lose the ability to win us over but Mitt has been at it for about 4 years.

Looking forward to your next yawner of a debate performance.

Go back to Austin and keep working on turning your state into Mexico North.

PappyD61 on September 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Which Cain are you for..Herb or Herman?..:)

Dire Straits on September 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM

John Feehery did not realize his article might be linked to in HotAir. He is in trouble now.

bayview on September 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Growing movement toward Cain — this is not the time to panic.
Majority of base despises Romney.

balkanmom on September 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Which Cain are you for..Herb or Herman?..:)

Dire Straits on September 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Um, Herman, the one that makes good pizza?

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I suggest a very good disguise. Either as King George or the Queen of Spain.

PercyB on September 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

You’d know something about that (in more ways than one).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Go Cain Go!!!!!!

deedtrader on September 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

More proof that Palin is going to run!!!!

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

csdeven on September 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I have to say though, the possibility of a Romney nomination really brings out the inner Alpha male in Allahpundit. Good to see.

Daemonocracy on September 28, 2011 at 11:58 PM

What the eff is wrong with you Allah?! Didn’t you know you were a Romney shill who hates Palin with a passion?! You are supposed to sing the praises of King RINO, not criticize him!

Oh, wait a minute…..is this one of your reverse-reverse-reverse psychology tactics that you are so famously famous for as explained by the delusional wing of the St Palin the Victimized congregation?

You magnificent 8astard!!!

csdeven on September 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Here is a comparison between the CBS/NYT poll released on Sept 16 and today’s Fox poll:

——————-CBS/NYT———FOX NET DIFF

PERRY—————23————-19——- -4

ROMNEY————–16————-23——- +7

GINGRICH————7————–11—— +4

BACHMANN————7————–3——- -4

PAUL—————-5————–6——- +1

CAIN—————-5————-17——– +12

HUNTSMAN————1————-4——– +3

SANTORUM————1————-3——– +2

Conclusions:

1)Both polls were conducted without Sarah Palin in the mix and neither leader is higher than 23%.

2)A recent Marist poll with Palin and Giuliani in the mix showed the leader at 20% (Perry) with Giuliani at 14% and Romney and Palin both at 13%.

3)It is not beyond belief that with Palin in the mix the leader in the Fox poll will not be more than 20% and that there would be a few candidates bunched up behind.

technopeasant on September 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM

bayview on September 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM

So Ed Gillespie wants to run Jeb, NOW?

Bush III rises up to beat Obama. Not gonna happen. The left would energize behind Obama. The kids who were so infatuated in college who are now struggling to find a job would rally “It’s Bush’s fault!” Even the Hillary folks would rally behind Obama to avoid a return of Bush. Right now we could run a grapefruit and the Hillary vote would be ours.

Jeb would lose.

Jeb needs to go Senate.

Jason Coleman on September 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Mitt’s looking old. How’s his health? :-)

Dusty on September 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Mitt’s health is fine. Mormons with their religious health codes, have a longer and healthier life expectancy.

As far as being physically and medically fit for the Presidency…Mitt is fine.

Conservative Samizdat on September 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Harris poll 9/27/11

Ron Paul 51%
Barry 49%

bayview on September 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM

HondaV65,

You are free to disagree with Mormons and you are free to trot out false facts about the LDS Church.

But you have consistently been rude, insulting and disrespectful to those who are LDS on these boards. You come close to the line of getting banned on this site and one of these days…it will happen to you.

You have a real hatred and animosity for the LDS religion and its followeres and HA will not tolerate it.

Conservative Samizdat on September 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I’ll vote for anyone versus Obama, I won’t stay home. I’ll campaign for Sarah but none of the others inspire me to do more than just get my vote.

poplicola on September 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Only an idiot would describe Romney as “McCain redux.”

McCain never had a big command in the Navy, being a fighter pilot, and never ran a business. Romney made a quarter of a billion dollars finding businesses which were failing and moving in and making them profitable again. That’s why there are so many people around the country willing to write him big checks: he put them in a position to write those checks when without him they might have been bankrupt.

Michael Reagan is saying his Dad probably would have been too “moderate” for today’s GOP conservatives. He’s right – which is why conservatives set themselves up for repeated disappointment.

Adjoran on September 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Adjoran on September 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Romney is proof that you can’t please everyone. The body language person on O’Reilly said he looked arrogant. I wonder if she has checked out Dear Deader lately. Except for the position changes, and they are serious, the guy presents very well.

And Governor Perry has me laughing about all the rednecks who are so nuts to get another pair of cowboy boots in the WH that they will put up a string of the worst decisions and comments I have heard from a candidate since George McGovern. Ha Ha Boys! The Dems are salivating over your boy Rick like Chris Christie over a bowl of pasta.

I hate to think of Perry’s finger in the button if Merck decides that the Chinese are stealing too many drugs and we need the final solution. BOOM!

IlikedAUH2O on September 29, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Meanwhile Obama has been losing a point a week in favorability… amongst blacks. So, who will call these people walking away from support a racist?

The word ‘electability’ applies to BOTH SIDES and perhaps it should not be a race to the lowest common denominator as that is what has gotten us into this mess in the first place. It isn’t a question if candidate X or candidate Y is better than Obama or is ‘electable’ any more. Nor is it a question of ‘is this candidate better than Obama’? I have a ham on rye that is more electable and better than Obama and it is gaining support in the Jewish community… the question is: is a candidate any damn good AT ALL in understanding that the problem is not administering such a huge and powerful government but HAVING such a huge and powerful government?

I’m not voting for a lesser of two evils, because we end up with evil.

I’m looking for someone who is any damn good at all at understanding the freaking problem: the size, scope, and power of the federal government. That is getting down to a short list… it would be nice to see that as the major question of this election, not Obama nor Obamacare. We are a nation of laws, not of men. And if we mean that then we will hold those we support to that very same standard and ask if they actually know what it means.

ajacksonian on September 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Bachmann is not done, by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to become a legitimate Presidential contender, you must first come in the top 2 spots in either Iowa or NH. According to all the recent Iowa polls, consistently registers in double digits and still competitive with Romney and Perry. But then again, the 2011 polls mean just as much as the 2007 polls.

Frank T.J Mackey on September 29, 2011 at 7:50 AM

ajacksonian on September 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM

That is the core issue of this election and every election.

All other issues are secondary to this concern.

Conservative Samizdat on September 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Unbelievable: the choice is expected to come down to deciding between a guy who has never held elective office but has a great message and Reagan-esque communication skills (Herman Cain), the proud progenitor of the modern Democrat entitlement, ObamneyCare (Mitt Obamney), who sounds like a banker whenever he opens his yapper, and a guy who thinks all his target voters are “heartless” if we aren’t willing to chip in and buy Latin America teenagers an education (Perry).

And people wonder why Republicans aren’t happy with the line-up!

I’d prefer a Republican to win so until he loses I’m with Herman Cain, despite his inexperience.

MTF on September 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Wow – so the new science of polls is polling comments…

Again – Romney’s problem – he is always in the 22-25 range. A 4 year campaign, millions in his piggy bank – with the Establishments support…

Odie1941 on September 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM

carbon_footprint on September 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Amen!!! Whether some of us might like Perry or Palin or Cain better than Romney, we must ALL agree on the goal. To paraphrase Ronaldus Magnus: “Recovery will be when Obama loses his job”. In November 2012, let’s put aside our differences and all pull the lever for the Republican running against Obama.

Debates do matter. Whoever wins the nomination will have to campaign and debate against Obama, who has been killing us softly with his words for three years. We need a candidate who can not only do the job, but also sell himself and his plans to the squishy middle. If Governor Perry wants to be that candidate, he needs to do his homework, write a platform, and explain it to the voters.

Steve Z on September 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Sub Tennessee for Alabama and I say ditto to this.

pannw on September 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Ahhhhhhh…your level of ignorance, faithlessness, and bigotry is refreshingly unique in the world of Mormon hatred. Did you create this on your own, or did you plagiarize it from someone else?

csdeven on September 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I, carbon_footprint, as a follower of conservatives, conservative principles and the GOP, hereby declare, that from now until the election of 2012, that I will not turn to negative measures against my conservative brethren.

That’s out of your hands, and the primary violater of the eleventh commandment is Mittney. That’s one of the most annoying things about him. So forget about this pissing in the wind, and get used to the fact it will continue and get worse. And, once the primaries are over and the general election season begins, get ready to go to Defcon 3. The general election will start with “racist!”, move on to “hates the working man!” and end with suggestions that Democrats should reject elections and think about mounting a coup. This is going to be ugly at an epic level, and it has already started with Mittney’s attacks on his opponents.

MTF on September 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Mr. Coleman, meet your candidate.

Lawdawg86 on September 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Lawdawg86 on September 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

He’s on the short list.

Jason Coleman on September 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I am supposed to believe any poll right now especially a Fox Poll — same news outfit that ran the most unethical debate ever in Orlando that a lot of sights don’t want to post about what Howard Kurtz discovered that Fox intentionally set out to make candidates look bad.

Polls are worthless and has been pointed out many times, polls nationwide when an election is state by state are even more worthless.

Cain is not an option for President — anyone who doesn’t understande congressional bills shouldn’t be running plus he supported Romney in 2008 which should tell you all you need to know.

PhiKapMom on September 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Anybody who wants this country to survive the next decade as even a shadow of what it once was–let alone as anything other than a Euro-failure done large, collapsing pathetically into third-world status–had best swallow their sanctimony pills and vote for any candidate who is not Barack Obama. I don’t care if Hillary Clinton gets the GOP nod next summer. Obama’s mere presence in office has become insurmountably toxic to the economy, and it’s difficult to see how this nation can withstand a full five more years of what it’s enduring today.

Blacklake on September 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM

HondaV65 on September 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

The Mormons are having their semi-Annual General Conference this weekend. You can tune in for the talks via the Internet on the Mormon Channel.

This would give you an opportunity to face down your ignorance and learn something for a change.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Adjoran on September 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Michael Reagan is NO Ronald Reagan and Mitt Romney is NO conservative. I don’t care who it comes from, but all this talk about Reagan not being Conservative enough for today’s GOP is nothing but liberal propaganda and Micahel Reagan proved himself to be a tool with his comments.

Reagan and Buckley always followed one simple rule: Support the best Conservative who can win. They supported Goldwater in 1964 because he was the best Conservative even though not the best candidate in the general. Buckley himself even challenged a liberal Republican for mayor of New York to get his message out. Reagan took the battle himself to the Rockefeller wing of the party multiple times, had a bloody battle with Ford and almost capitulated to the Rockefeller wing in 1980 by putting Ford on the ticket for a “co-presidency” but decided against it based on pure instinct. Reagan supported Conservatives before he supported Republicans and after the nomination he supported the GOP nominee.

Right now Conservatives are looking for a Conservative, not Romney. It’s not that hard to understand and it’s no different than what Conservative leaders Reagan and William F Buckley started.

Daemonocracy on September 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM