Sources tell Fox News: Christie really, truly, definitively is not running for president; Update: Or is he? Update: “Fresh consideration,” says NYT

posted at 4:05 pm on September 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

Turns out those eight or nine thousand denials he’s issued over the past year about running for president were on the level. Who knew?

Tonight’s the big speech at the Reagan Library (you can read excerpts here), at which I assume he’ll be dealing with this subject once and for all. The good news? Our long national nightmare of baseless Christie speculation is almost over. The bad news? Our new national nightmare of baseless Jeb Bush speculation is soon to begin.

Chris Christie say he has finally made a definitive decision, once and for all, not to run for president in 2012, sources close to the New Jersey governor told Fox News on Tuesday.

Despite the intensity that has heightened in recent days as the New Jersey governor prepares to deliver a speech Tuesday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, several people close to the governor insist he has not changed his mind to forego a presidential bid…

[A] source close to the governor says the fundraisers have been planned for months and do not indicate a change in his attitude towards a 2012 run. And another source told Fox News that the Kean story is “off-base.”

The latest Christie insider to stake his reputation on the belief that he’s not running: Christie’s own brother, who told a Jersey newspaper today, “I’m sure that he’s not going to run. If he’s lying to me, I’ll be as stunned as I’ve ever been in my life.” Me too. Why would he run? He’s not a natural fit for conservatives nationally. Plus, he’s enjoying a surge of popularity at home so re-election as governor is still very much a possibility. He’s no dummy. Better to sit tight, keep working on state pension reforms, and execute a few patented Romney-esque flip-flops on hot-button national issues over the next few years so that he’s well positioned for 2016.

So then: Everyone happy with Romney and Perry as the choice? Fantastic.

Update: As soon as I hit “publish,” ABC dropped this. Unbelievable.

A source close to Chris Christie says we should disregard what the New Jersey governor’s brother said about Christie’s plans (or lack thereof) for 2012…

When it comes to Christie’s thinking on a presidential run, instead of listening to Christie’s brother, the source says we should look at what former New Jersey Governor Tom Kean had to say yesterday…

“As of this time, his public statements that he is not running still stand,” the source tells ABC News. “It is also accurate that he is thinking about it and reconsidering it.”

He’d better say something tonight to clear this up once and for all.

Update: Ridiculous.

“I’m sure that he’s not going to run,” Todd Christie said told the newspaper. “If he’s lying to me, I’ll be as stunned as I’ve ever been in my life.”

But people close to the governor say Mr. Christie was not totally immune to the flattery and that his brother’s statement was more definitive than it should have been.

Over the last week, the governor has told donors and others that he will give fresh consideration to a presidential run. A Republican close to Mr. Christie said Tuesday that the governor had not changed his mind but had begun to “reconsider” his absolute refusal.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Seriously, is Tom Kean a friend of Christie’s? He’s doing Christie no favors.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I’ll give you that. But you really don’t think Christie could put the kibosh on these rumors if he really wanted to? Something about this whole Chris Christie business just isn’t passing the smell test for me.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I suppose he could squash the rumors by threatening to squash those spreading them, but those same people are also his supporters, campaign contributors and friends.

Read the link regarding his brother. According to that, Christie hasn’t spoken to Tom Kean for two weeks, yet Kean is still floating the “Christie might run” story to the MSM.

My guess? Christie has given some “polite” denials privately, saying something along the lines of “I’m not inclined to run, but appreciate your support and advice.” Those who are pushing him to run are hearing what they want to hear and trying to leave the door open for him in the media despite Christie’s multiple statements that he’s not going to run.

It’s like asking a girl out for a date and hearing her response of “Oh… umm… well, I’m busy this weekend but maybe I’ll give you a call sometime, OK?” as meaning “Yes, but not Friday night” instead of the more obvious and correct interpretation of “I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but hell no.”

Hollowpoint on September 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

This is getting silly.

Terrye on September 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

It has been for awhile.

So what kind of narcissistic tease would allow such rumors to persist?

He solemnly and repeatedly vowed he wasn’t running. He said his covenant with the people of New Jersey was sacred and would carry him through two terms.

It would appear that if he does break these vows, he is both a liar and a quitter.

But curious if these rumors are driven by the GOP establishment as a way of discouraging Palin? The old boys at GOP HQ are that stupid.

rrpjr on September 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Seriously, is Tom Kean a friend of Christie’s? He’s doing Christie no favors.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

By stoking 2012 fever while Christie is on a nationwide fundraising tour for the benefit of the NJ GOP, Kean is doing Chris Christie and the whole NJ Republican Party a tremendous favor. /$$$

Lawdawg86 on September 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Hollowpoint on September 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Be that as it may, I have to ask: Why is Sarah Palin tut-tutted for the behavior of her supporters, then? It’s not that I think Chris Christie is a two-faced jerk (at least not as his presidential ambitions, or lack there of, go). It’s that there’s a rather obvious double standard being applied here.

Will Christie run? If you’re going to be absolutely honest, despite Christie’s protestations to the contrary, you’d say “I don’t know.” And that’s all I’ve about Sarah Palin. I. Just. Don’t. Know.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

This is so much bs. Everyone clamoring for Christie to get in, but oh no, its too late for Sarah. Sarah has more boots on the ground ready to go now than Christie can even dream about.

Mirimichi on September 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Enough of Christie already!
He’s much too fat for the largely beauty contest that is the presidential election, and there are too many problems with him for too many conservative voters (eg., google Chris Christie Islam ).

Chessplayer on September 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Quit jackin’ around fat man! Either jump in the pool or imgonna eat your sandwich!

ted c on September 27, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I don’t give a rat’s patudy who the hell runs. Let them all run. Fill Jerry Jones’ grounded starship with them. We won’t get to the bottom of this mess we are in until everyone makes a total train wreck of 2012.

Limerick on September 27, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Nothing good can come of this.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

People saying its too late for Palin meant it this way. Since she has opened her mouth and words came out it is now too late for her to tun for President.

tpw on September 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I’m getting Christie-fatigue, lol.

A big part of me wants him to run because he’ll split the moderate vote with Romney and a conservative will then have a better chance at winning the nomination.

Either way though, this will-he-or-won’t-he is getting a little embarrassing.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Cristie can’t win any of the Southern primaries. His positions on guns will kill him in the South. Other positions will wound him here, but the gun thing will kill him.

I can guarantee that almost every polling place in my state would have someone standing 30 yards from the polling place with a sign quoting Christie that handguns should be illegal.

He’d be lucky to pull over 5% in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Kentuck, and the Carolinas just on his gun positions alone.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I have a funny feeling that Palin is playing chicken with the establishment GOP. Is it possible that Christie is the GOP’s next in line to prevent Palin from announcing and Palin is waiting to see if Christie bites? If Christie gets in, I would bet she waits until he, too, gets a little bloodied up before she dives in.

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Completely right. His candidacy is a non-starter. This is all about Palin-panic.

rrpjr on September 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM

We need strong, committed candidates, not wishy washy maybe I will maybe I won’t candidates. Christie, whether intended or not, has put himself in the wishy washy bowl IMHO. I have more respect for someone who jumps in and has to drop out than I do someone who sits on the fence and can’t decide. Remember how long it took Mr. President to figure out what he wanted to do in Afghanistan? Remember how he diddled over the gulf spill crisis? No More Diddlers.

scalleywag on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Romney has the same problem. As usual, he has since backtracked, but he can’t hide the fact that he was a gung-ho gun control advocate.

flyfisher on September 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Somesuch.

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

This was at the Iowa State Fair on August 12. 6 1/2 weeks ago. Based on those comments, she strongly suggested the end of September was her deadline out of courtesy to supporters who were working behind the scenes in anticipation of a potential run. I don’t what else “by next month” could mean in early August.

Doughboy on September 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I agree. But how do you reconcile this with your earlier contention?

Plus she constantly pushes her deadline back month after month. That epitomizes stringing people along. BTW, only 3 days left in September.

Doughboy on September 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Do you have a similar link/quote alluding to a deadline in August? July? Or what does your 4:25 comment mean?

cs89 on September 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Jeez–how many times does a guy have to say no?!

ElectricPhase on September 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Tease.

miConsevative on September 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

OT: Jeb Bush in support of in-state tuition for children of illegal immigrants

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush says in-state tuition for children of some illegal immigrants is “fair policy,” suggesting GOP presidential hopeful Rick Perry is right on the issue.

Bush made his comments today in an e-mail to the National Journal.

Bush, who championed legislation in Florida similar to the Texas law, told National Journal that in a slow economy, in-state tuition for illegal immigrants “would not be a high priority as it would be in times of abundance.”

Twelve states now grant in-state college tuition to illegal immigrants, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

How long do you think it will take Romney to make a flip-flop on this issue? I am guessing as soon as he stands to address a Hispanic-majority audience.

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM

If someone really beleves that Christie isn’t well aware if not behind all these runors they’re a fool. CC is probably testing to see what voter reeaction is. While the R
INOs may love him CC is smart enough to know he will be a hard sell anywhere but the coast states. I don’t know that he’s that know in the rest of the country and his bully manner is not appealing to everyone. If he doesn’t feel the love he won’t run – dont think he likes being a loser.

katiejane on September 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

it’s a CCCChhHHhhhHHhHrrrrRIIssstTTTiiieeeeeeeeeEEE Gasm!!!

GOP Cocktail Party Republicans are positively giddy….well…let’s say “tingly” at the thought of the Big Guy getting in the race.

Heard Ann Coulter getting all hot and bothered that her Liberal Love Christ Christie would be questioned on “trivial” things like his judicial appointments or support of Global Warming, etc. We just have to realize you see that he’s really really Conservative, but he just has to LIE TO LIBERALS to get them to vote for him.

Ann…………WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU?

PappyD61 on September 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Is everyone in the GOP a drama queen now?

SlaveDog on September 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

nooooooooooo

cripe

cmsinaz on September 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM

allahpundit Allah Pundit
100% true RT @DanFosterNRO: Can’t quote more Christie until 9PM EST. But it’s a speech that WILL NOT, absent a denial, tamp 2012 speculation

Christie wants his Twinkie and eat it too.

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM

This is just getting stupid.

gophergirl on September 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I just got notified of this and tried it and it is true:

EVERYTHING WE POST ON FACEBOOK GOES TO OBAMA 2012
PAGE.. FACEBOOK IS PUTTING OUR POST ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE TO SPY ON
US.. LOOK FOR YOUR SELF
https://www.facebook.com/barackobama?sk=friendactivity PASS THIS
ROUND.. WE GOTTA STOP THIS
TELL OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS TO STOP SPYING ON YOU..

redeye on September 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Frankly, I do not give a flying flit if christie gets in or not, he will not get one dime or vote from our home. He is almost as bad as dear jon, IMO! The msm and higher ups are trying to ‘give’ us who we need to vote for, and people, don’t let it happen again, please.
L

letget on September 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Si, lol!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Yes, because everything revolves around Palin. ///

:rolleyes:

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM

TELL OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS TO STOP SPYING ON YOU..

redeye on September 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on September 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

This is just the Bush circle, I mean the Rove & Co, looking for work. No matter what they’ll be shut out and they are trying to draw one of their insiders in.

promachus on September 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

TELL OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS TO STOP SPYING ON YOU..

redeye on September 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM

That’s rather disturbing.

gophergirl on September 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM

promachus on September 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

THIS!!!

A whole lotta wishcasting by some wannabe campaign consultants and White Huse Press Secretaries.

rockmom on September 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Can Christie be even less decisive than Palin? For more reasons than one, I hate wait behind him in the smörgåsbord line.

bayview on September 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM

This just might turn into the Baskin Robbins election cycle with sooo many flavors of the week/month. Too bad I don`t like the taste of RINO.

NY Conservative on September 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Yes, because everything revolves around Palin. ///

:rolleyes:

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Umm, never said it did. I’m simply wondering if Palin is waiting out the establishment GOP (which includes Christie) before jumping in. K? If you don’t think that they have been doing their utmost to convince her to not even try running for the presidency then you’re in denial.

One thing I do know, nothing good is revolving around your guy Perry.

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM

the fat slob won’t get my vote.

jbh45 on September 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM

If Christie runs, who will bow out first Romney or Perry?

milwife88 on September 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Romney drops in the polls and Perry increases:-)

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM

One thing I do know, nothing good is revolving around your guy Perry.

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I wouldn’t count your chickens before they hatch. If Christie gets in, that helps Perry and hurts Romney:-)

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM

promachus on September 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM
THIS!!!

rockmom on September 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

It seems Barbara Bush was talking to Christie’s wife. And Kissenger is one that is talking to Christie. Do we have a split between the Rove/Bush camp for Romney?

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Well, maybe so bluefox. At this point in time though Perry has lost a lot of his mojo. If he bombs in the next debate, he’s finished.

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I know a lot of people depend on debates to form their opinions but they are what they are. Sound bites, tactics by the Moderators and other Candidates to misquote, attack and lie about another Candidate. All debates have a purpose and it’s not to allow facts; they are gotcha moments since there is an agenda:-) Researching and reading about a Candidate gives a much truer picture.

I happen to think that Gov. Perry needs to be himself and not allow his advisers to script him.

Former Reagan or even George W. weren’t great debaters either but whether one is a great debater doesn’t define a person.

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM

O/T Mark Levin said Marco Rubio was born in 1971 in Miami, Florida and he doesn’t want to hear about anymore birther crap!
He is a U.S. Citizen.

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM

For me, that is part of the problem I have with Perry! Lol. I have real issues with his position on immigration policy. I would prefer he not be the nominee unless he says or does something to convince me otherwise.

KickandSwimMom on September 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Bobby Kennedy would disagree with you about Ronnie Reagan’s mad debate skills.

ebrown2 on September 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM