Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on September 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Jim Hoft caught this one first over the weekend, but I’m more with John Hinderaker. This doesn’t sound like a Freudian slip as much as it sounds like Barack Obama stumbling over his attack line. That makes it perfect for the OOTD series, of course:

If asking a billionaire to pay the same tax rate as a Jew, uh, as a janitor makes me a warrior for the working class, I wear that with a badge of honor. I have no problem with that.

Jews for janitors? Yeah, I’m not sure what that would mean in a Freudian sense anyway. John has the right take on this:

It’s just a slip of the tongue, of course, but–even though the observation couldn’t be more commonplace–one wonders what would happen if a Republican presidential contender used the words “billionaire” and “Jew” in the same sentence, even through a verbal flub. The world might come to an end.

We certainly would have heard more about it from the media if a Republican candidate had said it than we did the last two days after Obama said it — but it would still be little more than a very embarrassing tongue tangle.

Comments

If Bush said it, the Dems would have insisted he hold a Joint Session of Congress to apologize for his inherent RAACIISM!

Scooter musth ave still had the NY-9 defeat on his mind. LOL.

kingsjester on September 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I am sure it was just a verbal flub. However, the fact that the word Jew came out shows that he is subconsciously equating the evil rich billionaires with Jewish people.

ConservativeMom on September 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I nearly choked when I first heard this. The brain-dead, useless media would have boiled Bush in oil for such a slip.

CantCureStupid on September 27, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Words? Just words?

Static21 on September 27, 2011 at 8:11 AM

That speech was first written for the jews.

tinkerthinker on September 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM

you’re not kidding

the outrage from all corners of the left…

cmsinaz on September 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM

insert video response.

ted c on September 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM

All those years around Rev Wright leaves a mark.

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

ConservativeMom on September 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Here’s what he meant to say…

“If asking a Jew to pay the same tax rate as a janitor makes me a warrior for the working class, I wear that with a badge of honor. I have no problem with that.”

aunursa on September 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Jewish janitors unite!

golfmann on September 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM

We are all Jewnitors now.

Bishop on September 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Jews for Janitors. They hold their meetings in a maintenance closet in the back of a synagogue. Yarmulke’s supplied by S.C. Johnson and can double as a Swiffer. The search for kosher floor cleaner continues.

SKYFOX on September 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM

would a Jew use a socialist mop to clean up aisle O?

ted c on September 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM

In a racially charged interview, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright said that President Obama hasn’t spoken to him since they parted ways last year, because “them Jews aren’t going to let him talk to me.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/10/rev-wright-says-jews-wont-let-obama-talk/#ixzz1Z9f29UQz

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM

He has gone full Marxist retard now. The meltdown is beginning. It is only a matter of time now before the mask is stripped away completely in public and everyone will see what lies beneath. A silly and bitter Marxist moron.

DeweyWins on September 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Number 56,978 in the “What if Bush had said that” file.

crazy_legs on September 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM

How many times have any of you been speaking professionally and “n*gger” or “wetb*ck” just slipped out?

He uses that word in anger/disgust at least a couple of times a week for it to present itself like that.

rogerb on September 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM

The ‘Badge of Honour’ bit made me think, “And what would that badge be? A little yellow star?” *shudder*

The_Livewire on September 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM

It’s just a slip of the tongue,sure,but he meant it.

docflash on September 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM

aunursa on September 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Yup! His mind was in full “hate/attack/demonize” mode…Jew falls in that bucket for him and out it came.

Only a full on RINO would give him the benefit of the doubt

winston on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

What about a Jewish janitor on the Intercontinental Railroad?

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

winston on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

That is REALLY a key point, whether your name is Mel Gibson or Barack Obama. You just don’t say this stuff, unless it’s already on your mind.

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM

rogerb on September 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM

A thousand times, THIS!

CantCureStupid on September 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM

winston on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Hate like this is in ones heart as well as their mind.

darwin-t on September 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Funny thing is, he’ll still garner the majority of the Janitor, errr, Jewish vote…

Static21 on September 27, 2011 at 8:43 AM

rogerb on September 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM

A thousand times, THIS!

CantCureStupid on September 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM

It’s like Dr Strangelove, the uncontrollable reflex.

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Meh.

Abby Adams on September 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM

This is super dumb.
I am no obama fan, not by a longshot, but people saying that he was thinking and going to say jews is ABSURD.

Can we please not be as idiotic as the left? sheesh.

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Freudian slip? Freud was Jewish, so that makes this a META-Freudian slip.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Abby Adams on September 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I agree with you, Abby. I think this could easily be explained as an unfortunate self-correction. As one who stumbles my syllables from time to time, I could see him starting to say “junitor” or “junior” instead of “janitor” and correcting himself at an inopportune moment. That being said, it does make for a pretty bad sound bite for the President, and for all I know it may be as bad as it sounds.

What really gets me about the whole thing, though, is the disingenuous nature of this claim. I think quite a few folks would be pretty happy if janitors and billionaires paid the same tax rate, but that would require simplifying the tax code and abandoning the progressive tax structure and that he actually seems to advocate so strongly. It’s in the same vein as asking the rich to pay “their fair share,” when we know good and well fairness is not what he really wants.

BlueCollarAstronaut on September 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Because we’ve all yelled “jew” at someone who’s made us mad, one way or the other, right?

Sometimes, when someone cuts me off on the road, I mistakenly yell out “JEW,” instead of dumb****, dumb@$$, d***head, or any other favorite phrase of mine.

/sarc in case anyone other than bridgetown actually thinks that is what goes through my when searching for an insult to use.

Don’t YOU be absurd. He wouldn’t have said it, if he wasn’t at least thinking of it.

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Radical idea: instead of increasing the billionaire’s tax rate, lower the janitor’s.

fusionaddict on September 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Reason 1,359,285 why November 2012 can’t get here soon enough…

Khun Joe on September 27, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I heard the word boy.

rbj on September 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I have to go with Freudian slip over slip of the tongue. He doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. There are plenty of signs that Obama is an anti-Semite, starting with his 20 year affiliation with Jeremiah Wright.

A Jew voting for Obama is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders.

pdigaudio on September 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM

All those years around Rev Wright leaves a mark.

the_nile on September 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Yep. We know Barry didn’t actually listen to any of Wright’s anti-Semitic ravings in the two decades+ he sat in Wright’s pews (because Barry told us he never heard those vile words, and Barry never lies), but apparently some of Wright’s messages did seep into Barry’s subconscious mind.

AZCoyote on September 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Too bad he didn’t have one of them thar Freudian slip thingies on Saturday when he was peeving off the CBC by telling them to “get your marching shoes on”, by instead telling them to “get your tap-dancing shoes on”.

Of course if that had happened, he would have been fortunate to have gotten out of the riot that would have broken out in one piece.

pilamaye on September 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Scooter musth ave still had the NY-9 defeat on his mind. LOL.

kingsjester on September 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM

You ain’t lyin’. It’s the equivalent of one of his patented middle fingers on his nose.

Lanceman on September 27, 2011 at 9:51 AM

DeweyWins on September 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Pleasepleaseplease let that happen in time for people to learn before 2012!

oldleprechaun on September 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I would guess that when The One thinks of billionaires, he thinks of Jews. That makes a lot more sense than confusing them with janitors. Jewish Janitors has to merit consideration for inclusion in the World’s Shortest Books collection.

EconomicNeocon on September 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Ho hum.

Another screwup by the Big O.

And another pass from the LSM.

(Yawn)

TimBuk3 on September 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Obama sat in a church for 20 years, where they believe that Jews are responsible for every ill that has befallen this planet.

This was no freudian slip!

capejasmine on September 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Jews on the brain.

RDE2010 on September 27, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I wear that with a badge of honor.

It’s: “I wear that AS a badge of honor,” President Numbnuts.

CurtZHP on September 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Why is everyone, in the media, so afraid to call this what it is.

HE said it because it was floating around in his head prominently while speaking. The mask slipped. It is class warfare. That slip is what he *really* thinks.

As someone above said, you don’t accidentally drop a racist slur unless you are typically thinking about racial slurs and are actively trying NOT to drop one.

Dohbama said “intercontinental railroad” on two different occasions. No one corrected him, instead the media pretends like it didn’t happen or makes it into an aw-shucks moment.

Neo on September 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I understand the whole thing now.

Remember when Obama made the Israeli Prime Minister leave the White House by the alley with the trash? Add this little boo-boo and we now know that Obama really does believe the Jews are janitors.

katablog.com on September 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM

What about a Jewish janitor on the Intercontinental Railroad?

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Who speaks Austrian.

Oldnuke on September 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM

What about a Jewish janitor on the Intercontinental Railroad?

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Who speaks Austrian.

Oldnuke on September 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM

And has visited 57 states but still has 3 or 4 more to go.

katablog.com on September 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Ain’t buying it. The mask slipped. Just shows that Barry was paying attention during that 20 years in the “Revered” Wrights church of Hate.

GarandFan on September 27, 2011 at 11:03 AM

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Wow. You people really believe this stuff, don’t you?

What if I were to say numbskull and what came out was ni…and then I corrected myself. People misspeak like this ALL The time.
You would pretend that what I meant was the N word, when in reality, it was just my brain moving quicker than my mouth and I messed up in speech.

This is one sad thread.

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Mel Gibson was drunk when he lambasted the Jews; what’s the excuse for this? A slip of the tongue?

Hogman on September 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM

This is one sad thread.

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It became so the minute you logged on.

It’s: “I wear that AS a badge of honor,” President Numbnuts.

CurtZHP on September 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I noticed that as well. Maybe he meant it was an oak leaf cluster on his badge of honor.

Extrafishy on September 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This wasn’t a slip of the tongue and frankly I’m tired of every single thing this guy says being excused away.

catmman on September 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Ed Koch haunts him.

Ed Koch will be the Zell Miller of 2012.

FL will hit Obama hard.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Sorry. Not with everybody today. Let it go.

Pablo Snooze on September 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Here you have it, the Liar who denied that this is a 2nd dip, now owns it.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Freud smiles from his grave.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM

No, I’d think you were someone who goes through life with the N-word on his mind. Any more questions?

I’m capable of “accidently” swearing around people I wouldn’t swear around, because a swear word would be in my mind if I dropped and broke something, or I stubbed my toe on the corner of some furniture, or…

You are the one who’s sad, bridgetown, making excuses for the bad behavior of bad people.

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM

He has had time to clean up the line.

I heard a clip on the radio last night about wanting a billionaire to pay the same taxes as a plumber, and he changed the “with” a badge of honor to “as” a badge of honor.

His handlers decided to remove a word that starts with J, because you no he would slip up again.

Also, how does the media keep letting him get away with the absurd notion that a plumber pays more taxes than a billionaire?

Yes, that’s rhetorical, sadly.

reaganaut on September 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

you no

know…

reaganaut on September 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I think he was going to say, “…Junior G-Man.” Give the guy a break. ;-)

Jarhead68 on September 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM

See how powerful Your assumptions are?

Have nothing to do with me. I’ve never called anyone a numbskull or the n word.
I’m also not a male.

sheesh

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

“If asking a billionaire to pay the same tax rate as a Jew Junior Senator, uh, as a janitor…”

Yeah. That’s the ticket.

locomotivebreath1901 on September 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

AZCoyote on September 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Osmosis.

(possibly enhanced by global warming)

Solaratov on September 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM

ConservativeMom on September 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM

That’s the first thing I thought. I also think he might be equating “tax dodger” with Jew. We all know how crafty the Joos are at protecting their wealth, why they’d even vote for a Republican in New York City if they had to.

jarodea on September 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I’m also not a male.

sheesh

bridgetown on September 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Oh, you got me there. By the way, that psycho stalker of Sarah Palin’s daughter really didn’t mean to use the term “b**ch.” You see, leftists never mean to use such terms. They just keep slipping out. Like N***** would. So I hear.

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM

The fact that is is a “verbal flub” doesn’t mean it isn’t a Freudian slip. In fact, that is pretty much what a Freudian slip is — a verbal flub that accidentally reveals the speakers subconscious thoughts.

Dark Star on September 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

BlueCollarAstronaut on September 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I agree.

Whether “Jew, uh, I mean janitor”, was a Freudian slip or a slip-of-the-tongue, isn’t as important to me as him saying, “…and your response is you want the poor folks to pay more? Give me a break!” Um, “poor” people don’t pay any taxes. The slangy way he talks depending on his audience drives me CRAZY! Maybe he thought he was at Rev. Wright’s church.

KaliMom on September 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

What about a Jewish janitor on the Intercontinental Railroad?

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Who speaks Austrian.

Oldnuke on September 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM
And has visited 57 states but still has 3 or 4 more to go.

katablog.com on September 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM

But has obviously acted stupidly…

Captain Scarlet on September 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

What about a Jewish janitor on the Intercontinental Railroad?

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Who speaks Austrian.

Oldnuke on September 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM
And has visited 57 states but still has 3 or 4 more to go.

katablog.com on September 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM

But has obviously acted stupidly…

Captain Scarlet on September 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

While riding through that particular state known at Colorado.

Hey, this game is fun!

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM

“First they came for the janitors…”

Akzed on September 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Not saying that this isn’t a perfect OOTD, because it absolutely is, but each time I’ve heard that clip I can detect a “t” at the end of that aborted word. Now, I haven’t the first idea what word Dear Leader was uttering when he hit the clutch and shifted to “janitor”, but I’m guessing it wasn’t Jew. Hilariously unfortunate that his timing left the sound of the word “Jew” hanging in the air.

However, the real amateurism is that he believes that all this class envy crap about who pays what rate will help his cause. Taxing people more cannot ever, and will not ever, improve the prosperity of the nation’s economy. All it will do is “appear” to bring more money to government, who is already the least efficient steward of that money on Earth, wasting an easy 68 cents of every dollar it receives, and that not including the criminal payola to Dear Leader’s friends and contributors. In reality it will drive money away from the tax revenues, because those who earn the revenues will shrink their activity. Taking a bigger piece of a smaller pie is a guaranteed formula for doing harm to the nation, not good.

I will never buy another Martin guitar, nor a GM car, nor GE light bulbs, and nothing related to Google will be employed on my computers.

Freelancer on September 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM