NYT: Palin’s sudden silence could mean …

posted at 12:45 pm on September 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Who says the mainstream media doesn’t pay attention to Sarah Palin?  The New York Times’ Michael Shear notices that Palin has become strangely quiet over the last couple of weeks, even with two big Republican presidential debates in that period, including one partnered with a Tea Party organization.  Has Palin started working on a … new venture?

In the meantime, her Twitter feed and Facebook page have gone silent for the last 10 days. Her Web site has not been updated recently. And Ms. Palin has not appeared on Fox News for a week, since before the last Republican presidential debate.

In a letter to donors late last week, Tim Crawford, the chief of her political action committee, wrote that Ms. Palin was “on the verge of making her decision of whether or not to run for office.”

The last tweet from her account was on September 16th, and that was just to note an update to her last Facebook posting from the 14th.  Palin’s Twitter account is not usually a beehive of activity anyway, but prior to the 14th it looked like an update every two or three days was more or less the norm.  Facebook postings were somewhat less prolific, tending towards reaction to significant events, so the nearly two-week drought of posts is less of an anomaly.  There was a similar gap in July, for instance, and a ten-day gap in August. I’m not certain about the relative spacing between Fox News hits, but perhaps someone more attuned to it can say whether a week off is unusual — especially since it appears that Palin may be using the time now to focus attention on legal action over Joe McGinness’ book.

I’m not sure whether the absences are terribly significant.  In fact, I’d question the premise.  If Palin wanted to jump into the race, I’d expect her to start building some rhetorical momentum rather than go silent.  That may not include Fox News, which would certainly resist that kind of a strategy, but one would think that Palin would increase her Internet engagement activities.

However, Shear is certainly correct that Palin is approaching a decision point.  He shrugs off the Utah ballot deadline for entering the race as mainly irrelevant, considering how well Romney is projected to do there, but Florida requires the state party to submit names of all candidates by the end of October, and Palin can’t skip Florida and expect to compete for the nomination.  Even if Palin makes that deadline, it’s awfully late even for someone with as much of a national following as she undoubtedly has.  Those deadlines mean much more than any sudden silence by Palin on commentary, if indeed she has gone silent in a deliberate manner at all.  And so far, I don’t see any real indication either way of what Palin’s decision will be in the next couple of weeks.

Update: From Dr. Allecon in the comments: “This just in, non-candidate doesn’t do something. More to follow.”  Indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

You don’t like his 9-9-9 program?

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

This is not dithering, man. This is strategy. She already said she wouldn’t announce until the end of September, the beginning of October.

Tennman on September 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

We will see…but she won’t run, if she was she would have made her mind up…maybe it’s a long salmon season this year…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

You just outed yourself as clueless.

NoNails on September 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Darn. I must say, coming from you, this really hurts. I try so, so hard to be “clued in”. Yet, I fail … over and over.

I’m beginning to feel like Ron Paul.

Rod on September 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I hope Palin runs..:)

Dire Straits on September 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

seems like there is a lot of us doing that:

BOR is down 14%
Hannity down 5%
with Greta UP 6%. I wonder if that is due to her having Palin on more often and being pretty fair IRT to Palin and the TEa party.

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Bill’s irritating and hard to watch. Interrupts too much. Started to give up on him when he pandered to get the Obama interview.

Greta, to give her credit, lets people talk and also has differing points of view on and asks useful questions. Don’t remember who it was, but watched her talk to a Dem senator, ask hard questions and smack him around a little and then did the same to a Repub senator about the same topic. Plus, she has Bolton on all the time which is a bonus.

kim roy on September 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Palin has NO campaign structures set up in any single state as of today, the 27th of September, 2011.

That’s simply untrue.
Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Of course it is. Whoever said that is a clueless provocateur. Through my own affiliations with O4P I’m aware of a committed and canny organization in my state that began months ago.

rrpjr on September 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Palin said she’d run if she didn’t see someone emerge who could take a conservative message forward. I take her at her word. I really do not think she wants to run, and I also think she thought (or hoped!) someone else would have stepped in that the conservative vote could coalesce around, but here we are, and no one has. I also agree with others that she is a kingmaker, but just who exactly would she crown at this point? I thought it would be Perry, but I don’t see her throwing her support behind him unless he gets much, much better in the arena. And I do not see her endorsing Mitt until that becomes a bitter-end decision. Who knows? Maybe she’ll throw her support to Newt. Or maybe she’ll run herself. I have no idea, but I really think she thought someone would be giving her a run for her money by now, in terms of the conservative vote, and no one is.

Rational Thought on September 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending Congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News and Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.”

well I think Obama jus tlost any chance of winning NC

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I think you continue to take Palin’s words, “I’m still deciding” too literally.

If she were to say, “I’ve made my decision, but I’m not ready to disclose it”, what would you say? My bet is you’d criticize her, and the media would turn their efforts to malign her into high gear. Of course, you might say that her, “I’m still deciding”, is being coy. I think she has picked the least difficult option. She has obviously made the decision that her campaign (if she gets in) should be truncated as compared to the already declared candidates. She has gone on the record to say that she thinks the campaigns are too long and drawn out. By staying out until she thinks it’s time to jump in, she’s not spending money and she’s not controlled by the FEC. By staying out, she’s giving the other candidates the opportunity to be vetted.

Everyone has an opinion about her strategy. Either someone will support her or they won’t. The timing of her entrance will have little or no effect on that.

NoNails on September 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I wasn’t posting to you…you already stated you don’t want any changes since the dems will just change it again…about the stupidest reason not to support something I have ever read.
As I stated, than you can’t like Sarah’s plans either…since the dems will just change them.
A Fair Tax plan is the plan, I feel, all conservatives should aim for.
This unites the Flat Tax and the Fair Tax people…eliminates the payroll tax, and creates a business tax that businesses can plug into their costs and not have to worry about “loopholes”.
The 999 plan gives us the exact revenue we are getting, but fuels the business community, and picks up the % of people who are not paying anything into the system…and eliminates the payroll tax.
Who has a better plan?

When one party seeks to spend so that the other party must focus on cutting, we must unite around economic growth.
Unite all tax payers, don’t divide them into “income” tax payers vs. “payroll” tax payers.
Unite those wanting to eliminate deductions with those seeking lower rates.
As a first step, unite the “Flat-Taxers” with the “Fair-Taxers”

But, if you want the 47% to still not pay income tax, than support all the other plans…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I think you continue to take Palin’s words, “I’m still deciding” too literally.

NoNails on September 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

You may be able to get inside her brain, I can’t…so I have to rely on very reliable sources, like her campaign and the letters they send out to potential donors.

It ain’t me, it is there words…she is on the verge of making her decision…can’t be any plainer than that, she is still wavering and has not made the final decision.
So she starts off with a lie in her letters to her supporters? Oh, but she can “fib” because it’s a campaign and she is Sarah…or is the campaign telling the truth, she hasn’t made up her mind to lead the country, it’s just too darn difficult.

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Who has a better plan?

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

The problem with the plan is the same problem with Romney’s health care plan. He says the democrats expanded it well beyond what he wanted it to ever be. That is precisely what has happened to the VAT in Europe and elsewhere when it has been introduced.

We should concentrate on eliminating taxes rather than introducing new ones. The problem with the 999 plan is that it will never survive contact with those who want more cash for their spending spree. They will accept the parts that give them more revenue, reject the revenue reductions, and call that a compromise.

sharrukin on September 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

How come you didn’t jump on Perry’s shyt for lying about running for prez?

Why aren’t you hammering Christie for being “indecisive”?

darwin on September 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Are you forgetting about McCain-Feingold rules about campaigning?

Once there is a statement that she IS running, “The MF” kicks in and begins to restrict and micro-manage campaign activities.

Quite similar to the way Dodd-Frank requires companies to regulate how they release information (leading some companies into actually being forced to lie to investors in mid-period reports) and limiting how you can raise capital. “The MF” limits how you conduct your campaign activities and messaging.

This will be an unconventional campaign for Palin, something we’ve not seen before. It’ll be legal and within the bounds of “The MF”, but there’s no reason to kick “The MF” into gear until you absolutely have to.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Maybe, just maybe, it seems to me that it about time for Hunting season in Alaska. Maybe she really has her priorities straight.

Hunting first, Politics second.

kraftykeltic on September 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

well I think Obama jus tlost any chance of winning NC

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Heh. Got that right. I’m constantly amazed at the egos of the majority of politicians. They insist something can only work if the get in there and diddle with it,..always searching for the silver bullet. Their egos won’t allow them to admit that doing nothing or rescinding what they have done is preferable to lousy ideas. Have to justify their salaries and perks, I suppose.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

How come you didn’t jump on Perry’s shyt for lying about running for prez?

Why aren’t you hammering Christie for being “indecisive”?

darwin on September 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Why don’t you first find out whether I posted or not pal, regarding those remarks.
Perry hopped right in, he has been in every debate, of course there is a discussion for a moment, and maybe even hesitation, it is a powerful position, and few try it, let alone make it…but it was obviously a quick decision that leaders can make, after weighing the options, he jumped into the arena and is fighting the good fight.
As far as Christie, I have posted several times that he is not to be considered, anyone that has to be “cajoled”, seduced, begged into running I am not interested in…therefore, that places you into the foot in mouth category today…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

sharrukin on September 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Imagine, here is someone who thinks we have a better chance at eliminating taxes, rather than changing them.
You and I have a different opinion…but my challenge still stands.
Cain has a detailed plan, in several phases…what other plan do you see that is easily understood and brings in the 47% who do not pay taxes?
Show me the plan…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Perry hopped right in

No he didn’t, first he pledged on state-wide TV that he would not run for 2012.

He hemmed and hawed for months about getting in. Multiple false stars and denials from his spokespeople, then finally he announced.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

…and eliminates the payroll tax.
Who has a better plan?

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Ummm…OK.

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

sharrukin on September 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

plus the toppings are extra

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM

he [Perry] has been in every debate

No he hasn’t. He wasn’t even on the wishlist for the first debate because he pledged he wouldn’t run and his office categorically denied the rumors that he was considering it.

I hope you don’t think you’re helping the Perry cause by telling obvious falsehoods about him, do you?

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

therefore, that places you into the foot in mouth category today…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Your whole schtick for weeks has been hammering Palin as “indecisive” because she hasn’t announced yet. Apparently you’re more politically astute than she is and you’ve determined that only a “leader” would dive in head first without sizing up the competition.

If that’s a leader then Perry is your boy.

darwin on September 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

For what it is worth -

I have hundreds of customers in the southeast and southwest.
In particular, the ones in the southeast despise Obama.
From day one. Literally despise him.

The customers I have in the rest of the country also dislike
Obama and would not vote for him; however, their dislike is
not anywhere near the hatred of him in the southeast.

What is also interesting is that I have many customers who
own businesses who are named Patel, Mohammed, and other names
I cannot spell or pronounce. They dislike Obama too.

Amjean on September 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha…..America, soap opera wonderland. Only in the heartland, and the right and left coasts, and the unwashed masses, and those funny pale strangely speaking Alaskan’s and Hawaiians pay attention to this stuff.

Next up, Simon Cowel, debate moderator.

Limerick on September 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

That’s exactly what everone saw in Obama and all it got us was DC politics on Steroids! Reagan had it right…truth with humility…and humor (“I will not exploit my opponents youth and lack of experience for political purposes”) and real patriotism…exactly what Sara has…who in the current line-up has been as loud vocally and impassioned as Palin on nearly EVERY conservative issue…go ahead line up the issues and then put the names by who has the issue by the testes?

RedLizard64 on September 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

WELL STATED!!!! I vote for you to take Carney’s place when she wins…hahaha

RedLizard64 on September 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I like Cain and I think he is an honest guy. If he becomes the nominee I will support him. Hell. I’ll support anyone but BHO. But the way I see Palin and her actions is that the primaries are a mess and NO ONE has emerged as the favorite and it isn’t getting any clearer. If she waits until we the people have had a chance to see the boys and girl in action and still haven’t made up our collective minds then she has a perfect opportunity to jump in and at least stir the pot. She will go after Obama and the Dems in ways that the DC crowd will not. She will challenge Romney on his stupid Masscare. She will attack Perry for his Demoratic tendencies and she will make Newt actually commit to a principle. If that’s all she does she will have given all of us a valuable gift. If at that point we don’t think she is the one she will have still been an asset to the conservative movement. But when you consider the electricity she creates when she is part of anything she has still got the time and the ground game for her will arise out of the blue collars of millions of Americans. Run Sarah Run!

inspectorudy on September 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM

That’s simply untrue.
Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

rrpjr on September 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Anybody who is the least interested in Palin knows there are multiple organizations, groups, websites, affiliate groups all over the place. And they are multiplying like rabbits. They exist most places right now. Some are more organized than others. I know of two states were they are organized down to the county level. One of those states is a key early state and the other is a great big blue state. Further there is Palin art, Palin videos, Palin websites, a barrage of stuff all created spontaneously by people who feel some connection with her. It is something to witness.

Viator on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Breaking, Chewbaca spotted in the Cascades. Film at 11!

Limerick on September 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I mentioned another phenomenon, a large and rapidly growing number of Sarah Palin videos. They seem to be spontaneously generated by people who like her. They are of varying quality but they are coming fast and furiously.

Samples:

Ever seen anything like it?

Search results 1,020 videos!

Viator on September 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM

No he didn’t, first he pledged on state-wide TV that he would not run for 2012.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Has he been in every debate?
That is when the real campaigning began, he did’t dawdle on the sidelines facebooking and twittering…once he made the decision, which was early on, it was game on.
To compare his decision, with Palin non-decision is foolish…
Thanks, case closed…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Viator on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

he wasn’t talking about fans, but about a real top down organization…she has a huge fan base, so does Oprah…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

darwin on September 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Just a few more days :-)

Of course your Oct 1 deadline was self-imposed. If you want to give our wager longer, no worries here. I can wait.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Viator on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yes, it was something to witness, all of those Sarah Palin shops in the Alaska tourists towns with their “going out of business” signs that I saw in July.

Knucklehead on September 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Has he been in every debate?
To compare his decision, with Palin non-decision is foolish…
Thanks, case closed…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

ROFL perry missed the first 3 debates…

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

To compare his decision, with Palin non-decision is foolish…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

There is no “non-decision.” Palin has been entirely and consistently clear about making a decision and the time frame. What skin off your nose is it if she wishes to decide in September or October? Is it that you recognize and resent the simple strategic brilliance of the delay?

She has not said she wouldn’t run and then recanted, as Perry did. To call writing facebook essays and giving speeches and rallying tea party audiences “dawdling” is revealing of ignorant envy.

rrpjr on September 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Has he been in every debate?

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I said it above, NO, he has NOT been in every debate, period.

Pretty shameful that you are ignorant of that fact.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

To compare his decision, with Palin non-decision is foolish…

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

By his decision, do you mean?

His decision to pledge on Texas statewide television that he would NOT run in 2012?

His decision to waffle from February until August to “jump right in”?

His decision to instruct his official spokesperson to state that Governor Perry will not/is not/has no intention to, run for President in 2012?

His decision to skip the first debates?

Are theses the Perry decisions of which you speak???

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

CUDA!!!

rickyricardo on September 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

AGAIN, you’re ignoring McCain-Feingold.

Why don’t you tell me where Perry’s “real top down organization” was before he announced and became subject to “The MF”.

You really are ignorant about the rules of primary politics aren’t you?

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

once he made the decision, which was early on

You mean that “early on” decision to be the last (so far) declared candidate?

You mean that August 13th “early on”.

I thought you were a Perry supporter but you seem profoundly ignorant of the man’s activities.

Jason Coleman on September 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I’m not sure if you’re having trouble reading or trouble quoting.

For Example:

Viator on September 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Knucklehead on September 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Did you buy anything? or just smirk?

portlandon on September 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

JFK announced on January 2, 1960…1960!!! …and won.

ornery_independent on September 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Thanks to Daddy Daley digging up all those dead people and getting them to vote and the Daddy Daley campaign of “vote early and vote often”.

Knucklehead on September 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM

And who was that noble Republican who conceded the election because he didn’t want to put the country though the political turmoil of a probably-stolen election?

Richard Nixon

Makes you think….

tom on September 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Did you buy anything? or just smirk?

portlandon on September 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

A shot glass. I collect them.

Knucklehead on September 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I disagree…having been in the military in multiple leadership roles…many were the times I tried to let others lead but when I realized that they were not up to the task THEN I stepped up and exercised my abilities to get the job done…that does not mean I was the be all end all…I feel like under my mentorship I assisted in sling-shoting others who were junior to me on to their full potential surpassing anyting I could have done…a public lack of leadeship helps reveal leadership in others and true leadership always has an initial reluctance preferring to not eclipse or otherwise entangle those who are capable…servant leadership

RedLizard64 on September 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

You touched on something that I’ve seen in Sarah Palin for a very long time. Servant Leadership. I’ve followed her since 2008 and what I’ve seen is that everything she has done has been on the behalf of others.

I understand what you mean about allowing others to lead, but if the task is more important and they can’t do it, then you must.

Nice insight:-)

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM

The 999 plan will NEVER be passed. No conservative will promote it, once they realize what it is (keep the existing tax structure, and add some new sales taxes)

Cain’s candidacy was dead the minute he announced this plan.

faraway on September 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Update: From Dr. Allecon in the comments: “This just in, non-candidate doesn’t do something. More to follow.” Indeed.

Woohoo! An Ed shoutout! My day was kind of crummy, but that brightened it up a bit.

:D

DrAllecon on September 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Just two things on Perry!

1) Its a good thing he missed the first three debates, or he would be back in Texas. he’s a very poor debater.

2)A deal was made with Sarah when she endorsed him for gov. that he would not run for president, stabbing her in the back.
If he is nominated I will be for him in any way that I can, but he can’t be trusted in many ways.

jainphx on September 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM

we have been down this road before:

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM

This means nothing to Cain’s 9-9-9 plan. Yes, taxes have historically risen and fallen — does not make Cain’s plan naive.

You ignore that to get there, his plan would get rid of the IRS and simplify the entire taxation process by eliminating deductions, credits etc. Leaving us with only 3 taxes.
1) Corporate taxes @ 9%: Yes corporations pass that on to the consumer as part of the product cost. Big deal, it’s not like corporations ever actually paid any tax or fee w/o passing it on to us. I understand this to include capital gains taxes as well.
2) Income tax @ 9%: As long as you’re getting some kind of income, you pay a tax. I’m fine with eliminating all deductions, so that when I look at a poor guy or a rich guy, we’re paying the same rate – we all have skin in the game.
3) Sales Tax: Granted, I’m queasy with this due to folks trying to duck this by doing it off the books as is typical in Europe with the VAT. Nevertheless, I can be for it as it will tax those that might otherwise slip the income tax due to not working. The only exemption I’d consider acceptable would be basic unprocessed foods – no tax on a pound of burger, tax on ready to bake pizza.

There are a few other pros and cons to it, but this needs to be put on the table for full discussion. The fact that you think these rates might be raised doesn’t “prove” it to naive. What taxes have we ever had that someone didn’t try to raise? Or is there some plan you know of that is guaranteed never to be raised. If not, then your objection is moot.

The main thing I want to see in any reform is that the base gets spread far enough to encompass most if not all voters. Doing so provides us with the firewall against politicians seeking to buy votes or even merely raising them without getting pushback from the base.

I also think this tax plan needs to be backed up by a requirement for a supermajority of both houses AND the consent of the supermajority of State Legislatures before the rates can be raised and that they must be raised in unison. This is my backdoor plan to reassert the primacy of the States over the Senators. If and when the 17th is repealed, the the Senators would be representing the States as the FF intended.

To dismiss Cain’s plan entirely out of hand only shows you to be the one that’s naive – especially when you don’t provide an alternative to say “I think plan X is better than Cain’s”.

AH_C on September 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM

If Palin jumps in, she’ll be in the lead within a week of the first debate.

Gregor on September 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Not reading all 5 pages (so far) to see if anyone addressed this, but.. You left out that not only would she lead within a week, she would begin pulling AWAY!!!

44Magnum on September 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

sharrukin on September 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Not if the tax base is expanded to include the 47% that don’t pay taxes. Imagine everyone used to paying 9-9-9 and some genius comes along and wants to raise it to 15-15-15 on just the rich. The economy has already been adjusted to the 9-9-9, if the spike comes, everyone will see it just in the spike of goods. Plus, how is any regulatory regime going to decide that the wealthy are paying their 15 VAT?

I agree that they will try to tinker with the rates, that’s why I think the law needs to have a firewall of sorts to require a super majority of both houses AND of the States. With the predicted Senate majority being picked up by the GOP and the majority of States in GOP hands, it’d be worth a constitutional amendment effort. With Cain talking it up now, were he to win, it can be considered a mandate for him to implement it.

AH_C on September 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM

“on the verge of making her decision of whether or not to run for office.”

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I remember ?fred? was stringing his worshipers along with the same idiotic comments. He was getting ready to decide if he was going to decide if he was ready to decide to make a decision on deciding.

ROTFLMMFAO!!!

csdeven on September 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM

If Palin doesn’t get it, I think she’s going to end up backing Cain.

Godzilla on September 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM

‘it’ = in

Godzilla on September 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM

AH_C on September 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who hated the 17th Amendment.

rmel80 on September 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM

AH_C on September 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Disregard the above part. I now see where you posted the below.

the fair tax is differnet and I could support it. It abolishes income tax and the 26th amendment. Taking away the power of the fed gov to lay income taxes and replaces it with a national sales tax. Tha tis the way to go if you are wanting a sales tax. you do not leave the federal government the power to lay income taxes and then give them a national sales tax on top of that.

Cain wants to place a national sales tax first then go to the fair tax later. which good luck with that. Anyone that thinks the government will vote to repeal the 16th amendment and end all income taxes AFTER a national sales tax is in there happy place

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I’m ok with the fair tax, except I think the 23% is a mental sleight of hand in that it is actually ‘cost + 30%’ and one has to reverse calculate the 23% VAT to arrive at the true cost. This is the difference between Value-Added-Tax (VAT) and Sales Tax. I also think it is too high – as in giving the govt too much money. The trend has been for the govt to take in 18 – 20% of GDP. I think that’s where it should stay — 20% AND calculated as “cost + tax rate”. That way, for every dollar I pay, I need to come up with 20 cents for tax.

As experienced in Europe, the VAT adds its own nightmare of paperwork for the producers and every step between on the supply chain to the retailer. The temptation is high to pay off the book “ohne quittung“.

But no matter the scheme, you will always have progressive big govt types trying to raise it, hence my earlier comment about super majorities to raise the tax. Simple majority can lower the rates, but a super majority to raise. And by eliminating deductions, credit & rebates, we minimize influence by lobbyists as there will be no exceptions.

This is why I’m attracted to the 9-9-9 because it spreads the tax burden around on corporate/capital gain, income and sales. The way I see the sales tax working is that all imports pay the 9% tax at the point of importation and again at the point of sale for consumption-this gives a slight but reasonable advantage to domestic producers, since there’s only a 9% tax on the finished domestic product.

Another advantage to the 9-9-9 is the skin that the poor will have in the game. We might say that there is no income tax below $30K, but they will still pay the 9% via corporate tax that is passed to them and the 9% sales tax on everything except unprocessed foods. Also we should ignore the informal (person to person, ie garage) sales & bartering. The govt has gotten so greedy that it’s going after any transactions and this needs to stop.

AH_C on September 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM

She is running.. And she will win

ChuckTX on September 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Sarah Palin’s silence. . . . another media Rope-a-Dope.

Jason Coleman on September 28, 2011 at 7:23 PM