Can Perry regain his mojo?

posted at 10:45 am on September 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

When Rick Perry entered the presidential race, he zoomed straight to the top of the polls and energized those voters looking for a practical alternative to Mitt Romney.  Perry had a great resumé for a nominee — eleven years governing one of the most populous states in the country, job growth that defied a national malaise, and a track record of fighting federal regulation, especially in energy production.  After the first four weeks of the campaign, though, Perry has not even begun to introduce himself to the American public, oddly choosing instead to engage on defense against everyone else in the campaign. And as for debate performances, calling Perry underwhelming would be charitable, thanks to a couple of bizarre attempts to play defense and attack other candidates on stage.

In my column for The Week, I lay out how Perry can grab momentum back and get a fresh start, in part by taking a lesson from Romney:

A candidate who enters a race late has to work harder at making that case in order to differentiate himself from the rest of the pack. That takes discipline and a campaign that understands strategy, which are both critical qualities on their own for voters to consider when choosing a contender for the difficult task of unseating a sitting president, since only three presidents in the past century have lost bids for a second term: Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, and George H. W. Bush.  (Gerald Ford lost his bid for his first full term.)

For Romney, that meant that he needed to change his strategy to engage — but only with Perry. Romney needed to push Perry into engaging with him on defense rather than focusing on defining himself in a positive manner, and maybe goad Perry into attacking Romney more than doing either. So far, that strategy has worked even better than Romney had to have hoped. Helped in no small part by the other candidates in the race, Romney has Perry reacting rather than acting, to the point where Perry’s second campaign video had nothing to do with Perry’s policy platform but trying to focus on edits between the first and second editions of Romney’s book.   …

Fortunately for Perry, the moment has not entirely slipped away. A newCNN poll taken in the days after that debate shows Perry still leading the field, although with a slightly reduced margin over Romney. If Perry wants to reclaim the momentum, he needs to take a page from Romney and ignore the anklebiting from the also-rans on stage. Perry needs to make jobs and the economy the main topic of the debate, making the case for his leadership rather than attempting to rebut Romney’s arguments for his leadership. Instead of producing videos attacking Romney’s campaign book, Perry should be issuing one video after another highlighting Perry’s Texas record and how Perry wants to duplicate it on the national scale.

That will mean that Team Perry has to stop acting like a second-tier candidate and start acting like a frontrunner.  Romney’s worst debating moments in both cycles have come when he’s had to get into defensive exchanges on stage, which is why Romney had wisely chosen to ignore attacks until he was no longer the frontrunner in the race.  Perry has to copy that strategy and remain focused on positive explanations of his policies and principles, answering only the moderators on tough questions rather than the other candidates — especially from also-rans like Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann.  All that does is elevate their status while forcing Perry to react, a debate quality that he clearly lacks and which on occasion makes him look incoherent.

On debate performances, Andrew Malcolm provides a little context:

The Texas governor had suffered through two debate performances that could charitably be described as mediocre. He hardly looked presidential on the stage or up to the executive expectations that had pushed him to the front of the pack in polls.

Now came new polling showing his prime competitor surging to the lead in the important first primary state of New Hampshire.

Was this the end of his short presidential campaign? Or the end of the beginning in a very long presidential campaign for the White House?

No, this isn’t the story of Gov. Rick Perry’s presidential campaign, which turns 45 days old today.

This is a cautionary tale about reading too much into the early debate showings of any party’s candidates, no matter how good or bad. Our esteemed and shall we say very veteran colleague Mark Barabak, calls our attention to a news story written almost 12 years ago, by him, as a matter of fact …

A bad start, then, is not the end of a campaign, especially when polls show Perry still in a front-runner position.  But this bad start clearly calls for a change in strategy for Team Perry, and they don’t have a lot of time in which to make that change.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And as for the question of “casual contagion,” it was precisely that argument that was used to push through vaccine mandates in state legislatures to begin with. Considering that it’s the reason we vaccinate our children in the first place for school, I’d say it’s very germaine to the question of whether we should vaccinate them against STD’s. And don’t even get me started on herd immunity (or the lack thereof in STD’s).

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM

8.5% unemployment. lag time?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I’m still astonished that people obsess over the Liquid Whore vaccine as the Marxist-in-chief flushes the world economy down the toilet. Just amazing.

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

The “liquid whore” vaccine doesn’t bother me as much as Perry’s executive order mandate does. And I think that speaks directly to his character, considering how he attempted to dress down the legislature after they rescinded his order.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM

There’s no income tax in Texas. That’s why the schools are funded entirely by state sales tax.

TedInATL on September 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

what about property taxes?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Perry doesn’t debate well and also fades in the second hour.

In a future debate, a skillfull lefty moderator will know this and wait for the perfect time to zing him. The results won’t be pretty.

In other words, he’s going to step in it again and again. Some things you just can’t fix, being slow on the uptake is one of them.

Tharn on September 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

But you haven’t made a case to me for mandating pre-teen STD vaccination.

It was made mandatory so that insurance would have to cover it. It’s expensive, but in the long run it saves money because it’s lot cheaper to pay for that than for cancer treatment, and poor women who have a much higher rate of cervical cancer than affluent ones, because they don’t do the screening. They have sex earlier, and they wind up being treated on the tax payer dime.

also, biologically, young girls are more susceptible to damage from the virus. the earlier a girl has sex, the more likely it is that the virus will cause cancer in her.

And–most people will contract the virus at some point in their lives. There’s a good chance you have it and don’t even know it. It may not be transmitted casually, but it’s so common that much of the population has it. Wide use of the vaccine would drastically lower the incidence.

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Some things you just can’t fix, being slow on the uptake is one of them.

Tharn on September 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Once again putting my obvious personal distaste for Perry aside, he believe his “accomplishments” are the policies that are turning many voters off to him. If he has any hope whatsoever of winning the nomination, he’d better hope his calculations turn out to be correct.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Gardasil has been noted to be carried in ways other than sex. If my daughter were to marry a guy who had contracted it somewhere sometime along the way, she would get HPV. You apparently don’t have daughters or really don’t care.

Kermit on September 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Admit it – you meant to say that gryphon has no heart and isn’t on the side of life, just like Ricky would.

Ricky 2007: ‘If you oppose my Gardasil EO which forces an opt-out to escape the vaccinations, you don’t care to save the taxpayers money, and you aren’t on the side of life.’

Ricky 2011: ‘I was wrong to mandate that Gardasil EO, and I should have gone with an opt-in approach instead. Yes, this does mean that I am now not on the side of life, and I admit that saving the taxpayers moneys really isn’t of much concern to me. Don’t you dare call me a flip-flopper though, because if you do, it means you are a heartless meanie!

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Wide use of the vaccine would drastically lower the incidence.

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Or not, considering it only lasts for about five to eight years, and most people that contract HPV do so later than the age of 30. But whatever.

Perry is convinced that he was right, and now he has to convince enough voters outside of Texas that he was right if he’s going to make it as far as the nomination. I won’t be voting for him.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM

TedInATL on September 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

what about property taxes?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Schools in Texas are funded by three major sources.
•Local Property Tax – Property taxes are a major source of funding for your schools. Your school district levies a tax on local properties to fund neighborhood public schools.

•State Funds – State funds are another major source of support for most public school districts in Texas. These funds come from a variety of sources, including sales, gasoline and franchise taxes.

•Federal Funds – Compared to state and local funds, very little support actually comes from the federal budget but these funds help support programs like free and reduced-price lunches, technology, bilingual education, and special education.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Perry is convinced that he was right,

No he has repeatedly stated that using an EO was a mistake. Over and over. And over. Ad nauseam. For years.

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I know this is OT, but it’s pretty funny……they should send copies to Coulter and Kristol.

tencole on September 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I want to support Perry – mostly b/c of all the good I heard about him from conservatives and b/c the rest of the candidates are non-starters for me.

I would have a very difficult time pulling the lever for Mitt in the general election. Very difficult.

of the remaining candidates – most have no chance in the primary and even if they did, would lose the general. Newt has too much negative baggage, Bachman has proven herself someething of a loon, Paul is a joke.

I have interest in Cain, but worry that he will impload and need to hear more specifics of what he wants to do/accomplish. I am open to him but need to see a lot more. I’d also be concerned that the mushy middle would have a hard time voting for someone with no political experience. So, I could go for Cain, but need to be convinced.

But, as long as it looks like the reality is either Mitt or Perry (based on polls) – I would much prefer Perry. He has been making me nervous though – particularly with bad debate performances, inability to take on Mitt effectively, and the big one, Immigration.

I still think, right now, this is currently Perry’s to lose, but it appears like he’s trying to lose it.

Monkeytoe on September 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM

what about property taxes?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Also property taxes. US citizens who rent don’t pay property tax but they still get in-state tuition.

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Making sh!t up – you’re a dem, right?

VegasRick on September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

OIC. Which is why he b!tched out the legislature. Okay…

I don’t buy it. Call me brainless, but I just don’t trust a guy who appears to me to be willing to do or say anything in the service of his presidential ambitions.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I love reading over and over the brilliance of Barack Obama as a debater!
Gee, who ran the tables in 2010? The man is brilliant. I bet every candidate he endorses, wins.

Marcus on September 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM

He’s got no coattails, but has gained superficial polish and a lot of inside info the challenger won’t have. He’ll make a much better impression on audiences, as opposed to Perry, if Perry doesn’t up his game considerably. Debates, as they are being formatted, are all about perception and sound bites with little substance.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM

“Can Perry regain his mojo?”

Interesting question since it’s his mojo that got him in trouble in the first place.

Perry is your typical cocksure macho jerk blowing kisses at competitors, thinking studying is for nerds and thinks smart ass one-liners translates to votes & leadership.

Perry’s pathetic ‘I wasn’t born with 4 aces’ and his terrible attempt to win the HPV argument w/Bachmann produced an “I was lobbied” timetable lie.

Add to that his crony capitalism tendency’s, his states high unemployment, it’s high legal/illegal employment, high uninsured, high poverty rates…..Perry has more troubles than Obama and electing him would mean a referendium on Perry and not Obama which means Republicans will lose.

sheryl on September 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I feel the same, that statement could easily be applied to either Mitt or Perry or Obama…

maineconservative on September 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

sheryl on September 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Prolly better to elect the guy responsible for creating the blueprint for Obamacare.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM

maineconservative on September 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Hence why Mitt and (GAG!) Obama aren’t getting my vote, either.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM

There are other candidates in the running besides Mitt and Rick. Just thought you should know.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Famous last words. Of course he will, if he gets the nomination.

But fear not. The all new Official Romney Nose Plug(tm) will allow you to stride in to that booth with comfort and assurance.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Famous last words. Of course he you will, if he gets the nomination.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

sheryl on September 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

What’s plan B?

Really Right on September 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Ok thanks for that info. so has property taxe sin TX gone up under gov Perry? State funding for schools gone up, down, stayed the same? Many gov like Chrisite and TIMMY like to cut state funding and make the local districts raise taxes did Gov Perry do this slight of hand? And has federal funding gone up or down under Gov Perry the 10ther?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I was thinking property taxes were for local schools not universites. could be wrong here.

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Famous last words. Of course he will, if he gets the nomination.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’m not thinking about the general until we’ve actually nominated a candidate to go up against Obama. There are other candidates besides Mitt and Perry, and one or the other or neither may actually be on the primary ballot by the time it rolls around to my state.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The problem is the reality – a person can’t act like a good debater. Especially against duh One.

whatcat on September 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM

One major factor why He shot up to the top was because we thought he was tough on immigration. Now that we’ve seen where he stands on it(subsidizing tuition for illegals, does not support a fence)he will surly sink just every other popular candidate who has come and gone.

jaboba on September 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Making sh!t up – you’re a dem, right?

VegasRick on September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Making what up – did you not notice I used single, not double, quotes? I was sarcastically paraphrasing his present position.

Do you doubt that Ricky recently said he was wrong to go the opt-out route, and should gave gone with an opt-in program instead? You’re not a Dem, are you?

What you Ricky defenders don’t seem/aren’t willing to understand is that his “apology” for/’change of heart’ about his Gardasil EO is of the exact nature of 0bamessiah’s flip-flop on the debt-ceiling – Ricky has shown us from this one issue alone not only that he’s capable of engaging in extreme demagoguery, but that he is a demagogue.

You know as well as I do that you can’t refute this with a rational argument, which is why you will now ignore what I am saying here and/or make a personal attack against me. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

maineconservative on September 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Yup – when I read the part of the comment you quoted I was wondering of which candidate he was speaking.

whatcat on September 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I know. I’m still hip deep trying to list their individual accomplishments that make them presidential timber. No luck so far, except for Newt. Isn’t it his turn? So, he made a few mistakes about Ryan’s budget, climate change, and endorsing wrong candidates, plus he likes women.
So what? The man has a record of accomplishment.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

… high uninsured…

sheryl on September 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Here are the details on the high uninsured in Texas.

Properly identifying the population for which insurance coverage is out of reach brings the Texas problem population down to about 3 percent of the total population, which is a 65 percent reduction in this problem population from 2006.

itsacookbook on September 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

jaboba on September 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I said weeks back, that Perry needed to get in front of his soft on illegals position or it will sink him.

Instead he doubled, no, quadrupled down on it.

so has property taxe sin TX gone up under gov Perry?

unseen on September 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I know my property taxes are scheduled to go up, whether that’s due to Perry, or just the generally crappy economy, I can’t say.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

So what? The man has a record of accomplishment.

a capella on September 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Let me clue in you into something:

As the field now stands, I’m not voting for Newt. I’m not voting for Mitt. I’m not voting for Perry. I’m not voting for Bachmann.

And I’m still seeing precious little in the way of why I should vote for Perry. Only stuff from his supporters about how I’ll be helping Romney by voting for any other non-Perry candidate. Sorry. No sale.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Sorry. No sale.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I have to agree – “vote for my guy because the other guy is worse” is pretty weak. That’s usually the crap sandwich we have to eat in the general, when it’s what we’re (as of now) left with in the primary, is a pretty damn sad state of affairs.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I’m going to vote in the primaries for the candidate that comes closest to agreeing with me. Period. My principles and beliefs don’t change.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Instead he doubled, no, quadrupled down on it.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Just as a leopard can’t change its stripes (oops, pardon me, I utwittingly let Al Gore channel himself through me there for a second!), Ricky couldn’t have done anything else because that’s who he really is.

We need to keep helping the ostriches on the Right get their heads out of the sand about him.

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM

If only you’d open your heart (well, that’s if you had one) even just a tiny bit, you’d see that Ricky is our singular hope, and you’d realize that you must support him over everyone else! If Ricky loses, America is doomed. DOOMED, I tell ya! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

My principles and beliefs don’t change.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Agreed. As of now I’d have to go with Cain.

Ricky couldn’t have done anything else because that’s who he really is.

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Agreed. Thinking conservatives are heartless racists does seem like one of Perry’s core beliefs.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

One major factor why He shot up to the top was because we thought he was tough on immigration. Now that we’ve seen where he stands on it(subsidizing tuition for illegals, does not support a fence)he will surely sink just every other popular candidate who has come and gone.

jaboba on September 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Pure wishcasting… and you know why?

McCain, who co-authored an amnesty bill with Kennedy and loves to call Tea Partiers “hobbits”, was still the preference of the majority and beat Romney to the nomination.

What makes you think Perry, a three-term successful Governor of a major state and definitely more conservative than Romney, will not easily replicate that feat?

I find it strange that a lot of people on this forum are missing the bigger picture:

When the dust settles and the primaries begin, the candidates are not going to stand as absolutes. People will vote for the candidate who they feel best represents them among a slate of choices.

So the question that day will be:

Perry (warts and all) vs. Romney (warts and all). Who do I deem to be more likely to advance conservatism?

(Hint: Romney loses by a wide margin).

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

(Hint: Romney loses by a wide margin).

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

This.

Rebar on September 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Romney, knowing he has nothing going for him, is busy trying to bury his miserable record as Governor of Mass. and using surrogates to attack Perry, while he tries to appear above the fray.

This might have worked if Perry had entered the race a few weeks to the start of the primaries. Unfortunately for Romney, Perry has more than enough time to correct misperceptions of his stances on Gardasil and Illegal Immigration/Border Security.

Romney has peaked, as can be seen from the RCP poll averages and trends. The highest percentage he has garnered so far is 25%, despite being a frontrunner for a long time.

Attacks on Perry tightens the race somewhat but it will definitely not result in a huge uptick of support for Romney. As the second and third tier candidates drop out, their supporters will coalesce behind either Perry and Romney. If Perry’s stance on immigration is all that the Romney/Bachmann/Santorum Team have got, then sorry – Romney is out.

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Except that Romney and Perry aren’t our only two choices. Can we start the nominating process before we start panicking? Please?

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

juliesa on September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I do own my house but this just drives me nuts! How do you think the property owner gets the money to pay the taxes? They add it to the the …. hold on now……. RENT! So renters pay the tax just like the end user of ALL GOODS and SERVICES pay ALL accumulated taxes. This is the same as the corporate rate. Does anyone think that corporations have a tax money tree in the parking lot? No, they add the taxes to the price of whatever they sell. It is simply a cost of doing business. Raise the corporate tax, pay more for that loaf of bread and gallon of milk… go get’em tiger.

Mark

mailmars on September 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

There are other candidates in the running besides Mitt and Rick.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Nominally.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

There are other candidates in the running besides Mitt and Rick.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Nominally.

MJBrutus on September 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Sorry, but after what happened to Fred(!) and Rudy in 2007, I won’t concede your point before the nominating process has officially begun.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM

TheRightMan on September 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

you do know Palin isnt running right? So out of the ones RUNNING, not the one who might, not the one you want, but the ones who are there, who would you pick? Pistol to your head, you MUST choose…..

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I didn’t say anything about Palin, douchebag. At this point in time, I am conducting myself as if she isn’t running because — wait for it….SHE ISN’T. The most agreeable of the extant candidates to me is Herman Cain. I’m just hoping he’s over his nasty nasty habit of putting his foot in his mouth.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Wow, I just asked a question, no need to call me a name! And for the record, that would be a b*tch, not a douchebag. Thanks.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM

You “just asked a question,” eh? How about a rude a condescending question (come on! “gun to your head?!”) with the expectation that I’d be caught with my proverbial pants down? That is solidly in the center of douchebag territory.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Once again gryphon, it is b*tch, I am of the firm belief that girls cant be douchebags. I am sure you are man enough to call a woman a name? It was not a condescending question either, but if you want to take it that way feel free.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Gun to my head. Really? You must have mistaken me for unseen. And as for “douchebag,” that is a completely gender-neutral term roughly equivalent to calling someone a “jerk” or an “ass.” If you’d rather I call you a jerk or an ass, I can certainly oblige.

If I haven’t made my intentions clear by now, you’re not paying attention. I am not setting out this coming primary season. If I have to write in a Mickey Mouse protest vote, I am not settling for the outcome of a nominating process I don’t participate in. Thus, I am participating. PERIOD.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Gun to your head, gryphon, it doesnt mean anything. It was a question,when one says choose A or B, gun to your head, it means you have to make a choice, you cannot say C, you cannot write a four page paragraph about your choice and why. It means simply make a choice. You need to calm down. I dont truly care who you vote for or what you do with it. Just a question to ask.

Call me whatever you want to big boy, none of if matters to me.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I’ve read most all of the comments on this thread and just want to say to those that evidently hate Gov. Perry to do some research so you know what you are talking about.

I’m not speaking to those that have constructive criticizm, nor asking intelligent questions nor to those that are providing correct information.

All of these hateful attacks and listing all of your excuses on why you would not vote for him. You don’t have to nor do you need to support him.

The least you can do is have correct information. Also most all of the issues you have been raising have been covered, explained and discussed on multiple HA threads and elsewhere within the last month.

It is a waste of time to try to provide correct informatiion to you Perry haters, because you reject it and you spew the same information on the next thread.

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Call me whatever you want to big boy, none of if matters to me.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You don’t care, eh? Your behavior belies that assertion, Deary. I simply asked someone “Can we wait until the nominating process starts before we panick,” and you automatically assume that I am all-in for Sarah Palin. Then you proceed to ask me what, in any other context, would be a “gotcha” question, apparently in the hopes of making me look foolish by revealing my nutty single-minded devotion to St. Sarah the Aggrieved.

Am I reading too much into your question? Maybe, but you sure read a lot into mine.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I think when I said you have to choose from someone running, it pretty much left out sarah? No?

And you didnt just say can we wait until the nominating process starts before we panic, you spent two pages of gnashing your teeth against Rick Perry and like every other Sarah supporter bashing him, I might have not thought you were a Sarah supporter.

I just wanted to know who would vote for, Sarah excluded.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I just wanted to know who would vote for, Sarah excluded.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sure. Sure you did. -.-

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Sure. Sure you did. -.-

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM

A mind reader too? You make me laugh.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

There is a lot of time before anyone actually votes and I think that Perry can probably regain some of his mojo anyway.

But his ad on Romneycare is not really going to help him. Apparently he said Romney wanted that system in Mass for the whole country..well in truth Romney said the following:

“My own preference would be to let each state fashion its own program to meet the distinct needs of its citizens. States could follow the Massachusetts model if they choose, or they could develop plans of their own.”

Here is the pdf of the actual pages in his book referring to this.

The thing is that Romneycare is an albatross around Romney’s neck and there are plenty of ways for Perry to criticize him on this issue without being dishonest about it. He could just say that no conservative would ever consider any kind of mandate..period. But instead we see this clumsy little lie that might well come back and bite him on the ass. He needs to do a better job of going after the opposition than this.

Terrye on September 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

A mind reader too? You make me laugh.

akerralls on September 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Not a mind reader. Just going on my past experience with encounters such as this.

gryphon202 on September 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Can Perry regain his mojo?

Is Perry going to continue his McCain strategy of attacking his “heartless” voters?

RJL on September 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

You said a mouth full there Capt. Ed..:)

Dire Straits on September 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Of course he can, and he will.

There are no “ankle-biters” after Romney and there never have been. ALL the other candidates (except Perry) have treated him with kid-gloves since these “debates” started in May. But if there were, Romney has the advantage of being VERY well-known and could afford to ignore them. Perry, however, being new to the stage, couldn’t let Bachmann define (with LIES) the HPV issue and he had to defend himself. The same with the in-state tuition thing and the border — Romney and Santorum can’t be allowed to define (in other words, LIE outright about it) Perry’s positions on these, so again, he had to defend himself. Hopefully, he can defend himself better at the next debate (like he did on Hannity the next day in an interview) and then MOVE ON.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

heartless, brainless… does he have the courage to stick it out? I think we have the making of a good story here. But I’m getting déja vu of some kind. Almost as if I already know how this play out and that there is nothing at the end of the road.

MrX on September 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

MrX on September 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Could be right..Perry needs to pick up the pace..:)

Dire Straits on September 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

LOL this is so whiny and pathetic and cowardly it sounds like a Leftist made it.

Geez, where to start……would you like to state that it’s not a fact that Perry flip-flopped about his Gardasil EO in a way that shot himself in the foot so damagingly it got blown off? Would you like to state that it’s not a fact that Perry gave an incomplete, misleading answer in that debate about monies he received from Merck? Would you like to state that it’s not a fact that Perry attacked a large part of his own base as uncaring and/or racist, which he believes primarily leads them to their disagreement with some of his policies involving illegal immigration? If you don’t dispute that these examples are all factual, why comment about “Perry haters” at all? Your priorities are 180 degrees out of whack.

Do you remember when the Democrats made that ad using an audio clip of Newt (“wither on the vine”) in 1995, in which they portrayed him as wanting to leave seniors on Medicare w/o a health care plan after the Republican would let Medicare die, when the complete, unedited clip clearly revealed that in actuality Newt wanted them to have something better than Medicare? Gotta love those Dems, right? So, have you seen Perry’s new ad using a video clip of Romney at a townhall meeting, portraying him as a supporter of Race To the Top, a Federal plan? Guess what? If the video in that ad hadn’t been clipped where it was, you’d see that he said he opposes a Federal approach. Hey, that sounds eerily similar to what the Dems did to Newt! If it looks, talks, and acts like a Leftie, it probably is one, right?

It’s disgustingly slanderous. In fact, it’s so indefensibly egregious, I think he should be forced to apologize to Romney under the threat of Party expulsion if he won’t.

Not like you care much, though. You die-hard Perry fanatics are enablers of a cancer, just like the meek Democrats who passively tolerated Clinton in the 90’s were. You’ve decided to go full-in with a moronic slimeball who tells not only subtle lies, but extra-stupid, blatant ones as well. Birds of a feather flock together, right? Or so I’ve been told…

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I agree that Bachmann & Santorum lied and were redefining the issue. Whether they even understood what they were talking about is open to debate also. The same can be said with many on this thread. But they still like to lie.

Also he better start being himself and not listen to whatever adviser he has now. From the time he entered the race and now, a change has been made and not for the better.

But from the latest ad, he’s listening to the wrong people. I hope none are from the Bush camp. Whoever is advising him, they are wrong. He spent a lot of money and time in Florida and should have stayed and talked to the straw poll voters, but no, he took off to go to the Michigan Straw Poll, Romney territory. Lost Fla & MI. Not smart.

Romney is not President and Gov. Perry needs to start running against Obama. He was in the beginning, but now he’s running against Romney. Wrong Tactic!!

Like you, I hope he realizes it soon.

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

ITA with your whole post. Running against O is the only way to go — Trump proved that.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I wish I had a direct line to him, LOL I could try calling:-) I’ve faxed and called probably every U.S. Senator & U.S. House members many times, especially during the Obamacare fight. I email my Gov but hadn’t had occasion to call him, he’s doing a great job!!

Hopefully things will turn around for Gov. Perry, I certainly hope so. I’ll let you know if I get thru with my phone call attempt:-)

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on September 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

All of the various issues that you have listed concerning Gov. Perry, I have already addressed in other threads. Also, I have provided documentation and links. No one provided them for me, I did my own research from multiple sources. Why? Because I wanted to know the facts.

I also did research on Bachmann and Romney and provided documentation and links and for the same reason.

What I have found is that many posters dislike a particular Candidate and have a favorite. What happens is that whichever Candidate they don’t like, they ignore the research and post their incorrect opinions as fact.

This is a fact: Some people reject the Truth and choose to believe a lie. It is not up to me to continue to waste my time re posting what I’ve already posted since it has been rejected.

I know what I know because I’ve done my homework and can see by your opinions that you have not.

It is that simple:-) Anyone interested in the facts can find them and those that are not can continue to be misled, via choice or by not believing the facts.

After reading this thread today, I did a little more research and was going to post that info. However after seeing the hate and rehash of issues already covered, there was no point.

I don’t care for Bachmann and Romney because of the research I’ve done on them. But I am not hateful or post lies about either one of them. And anything I do say about either one, I can document which is more than many on this thread can do.

bluefox on September 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Can Perry regain his mojo?

As you have eloquently outlined in your analysis Ed, of course the answer is yes.

We shall see soon enough.

rukiddingme on September 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Sorry. The more I see him the more he reminds me of Pat Robertson and Jim Bakker. Smarmy, sanctimonious and beyond his depth.

flataffect on September 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM