Tough question for Obama at LinkedIn townhall: “Would you please raise my taxes?”

posted at 6:05 pm on September 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

I bet this is what he thought all his townhalls as president would be like back in the heady days of Fall 2008, when the Great Liberal Realignment was upon us and the golden age of a permanent Democratic majority was set to begin. Ah well. Some people are grumbling on Twitter that the questioner’s a plant, but I doubt it: He’s a former Google employee, now retired because he’s apparently rolling in dough, who’s showered Democrats with a cool $300,000 in campaign cash since 2000. If anyone’s gung ho to be soaked in the name of progressivism, it’s this guy. The One gives him the usual shpiel about how important it is to make sure we pay for investments in infrastructure and public education, as if America’s budgetary problems would be largely solved if only we had a few hundred billion more in new revenue to pour into schools and bridges. The real problem, of course, is the sinkhole we know as our entitlement system, a.k.a. welfare for the middle class, which is working out smashingly these days in Greece in case you hadn’t heard. Here’s a fun passage from Mark Steyn’s latest to help frame the comments you’re about to see from Captain Fiscal Responsibility:

As its own contribution to the end of the world as we know it, the Obama administration has just released a document called “Living Within Our Means and Investing in the Future: The President’s Plan for Economic Growth and Deficit Reduction.” If you’re curious about the first part of the title — “Living Within Our Means” — Veronique de Rugy pointed out at National Review that under this plan debt held by the public will grow from just over $10 trillion to $17.7 trillion by 2021. In other words, the president’s definition of “Living Within Our Means” is to burn through the equivalent of the entire German, French, and British economies in new debt between now and the end of the decade. You can try this yourself next time your bank manager politely suggests you should try “living within your means”: Tell him you’ve got an ingenious plan to get your spending under control by near doubling your present debt in the course of a mere decade. He’s sure to be impressed.

A few months ago Krugman described the federal government as “an insurance company with an army.” Dead right, alas. And the older the population gets, the starker those priorities become. If The One wants to jerk around with education talk to sell tax increases, that’s fine — it’s smart politically, at least — but if he were honest he’d explain that (a) increasingly those new tax dollars will need to be diverted to the elderly, not to schoolkids, and (b) absent entitlement reform, the Clinton tax rates simply won’t generate enough revenue to solve this problem long-term. You could in theory solve the problem via the GOP’s cuts-only approach if you were willing to cut very, very, very deep; you could also solve it with serious reform plus new taxes. But Obama’s position for the election, for all intents and purposes, is option number three: Tax hikes on the rich for “fairness” purposes plus some minimal reform to paper over the problem for another year. It’s the opposite of leadership but darned good electoral strategy, and that’s what’s important. Exit question: Is he really down to 36 percent? Click the image to watch.

Comments

ugh…January 2013 cannot get here soon enough.

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM

YOU ARE FREE TO WRITE A NICE, BIG, FAT, F*CKING CHECK TO THE US GOVERNMENT.

blatantblue on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Write a check pal and leave the rest of us alone!

Chip on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Cut a check on your own.

rbj on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Wow, that was a randomly chosen audience member….

Former exec. from Google and big Dem. donar…

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Sorry for the outburst, but Holy Shi’ite, are you lazy?

Take initiative. Stop waiting/begging for the government to raise your taxes.

Write.
A.
Donation.
Check.

blatantblue on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Yes it was a genuine, completely off-the-cuff plea for “pell grants and infrastructure.”

mudskipper on September 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM

So, he’s living off of his windfall from Google and is no longer getting a paycheck that is subject to federal taxes. Now I understand why he wants Obama to raise the income tax rates, it won’t affect him.

Fallon on September 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

“Living Within Our Means and Investing in the Future:

Allow me to translate:

“Now how am I going to be able to pay for all those union votes is I can’t raise your taxes? What re you, some kind of RACIST?”

dirtseller on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Is anyone buying what SCOAMF is selling anymore? I mean really…..

Pelosi delende est on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I don’t want
Anybody else
When I think about you
I tax myself…

ronsfi on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Allah, the guy was a plant. First Buffett, now The Google Dude. Two guys who are probably only paying capital gains taxes masquerading as ‘victims’ of the Bush tax cuts. Expect to see more of this. One is random, two is a coincidence, three is a trend…

joejm65 on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

There are plenty of private scholarship funds he can donate to.

CW on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Hmm, I just thought of a possible solution to the problem of people paying too low a tax.

Congress could merely pass a law that anyone who publically asks for their taxes to be raised is taxed at one bracket higher. If they are already in the highest bracket, then the only deduction they can claim is the personal deduction.

How difficult would this be to administer? I’m thinking their SSAN flags the IRS computers to apply the higher rates.

Liberals would like this because it raises taxes. Cosnervatives would like this because their own taxes are left alone. Libertarians would like this because the increased tax rate is only applied to people who WANT to pay the higher rate.

malclave on September 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM

It’s the opposite of leadership but darned good electoral strategy

only…ONLY, if there is nobody willing to point out the flaws (Likely)

winston on September 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM

AP, what do you think the over/under percentage is that watch these clips of “The One” that you post? I for one refuse to watch them. My blood pressure would go through the roof.

Hummer53 on September 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Fallon on September 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

THIS.

portlandon on September 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

mudskipper on September 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM

ya, more pell grants, like the one my niece has been abusing. Using free money for school tuition while spending her own on beer fest, concert tickets, and tickets to ball games. She is a single mother of three, so she deserves a girls night out, you see. Her oldest is now a single mother herself, carrying on a fine family tradition for three generations now.

Skandia Recluse on September 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Upon reflection, I should append to my previous :

With Pell Grants its all about ‘qualifying’. If you meet the qualifications, you get free money for school. What are those qualifications, you might ask?

Female In high school and pregnant, or dropped out of high school and a single mother, and reported income at some multiple of the ‘poverty level’.

Someone should check, If you are male, have a pregnant girl friend, or a girl friend who has a child, do you, the male, qualify for Pell Grants?

Skandia Recluse on September 26, 2011 at 6:30 PM

“Would you please raise my taxes?”

TRANSLATION: I’m too freaking stupid to figure out I can QUIETLY cut a check to the IRS on my own to assuage my guilt. As a matter of fact, I’m so stupid I didn’t know that the president can raise any tax on his own. CAN I HAVE SOME MORE KOOL AID PLEASE?

GarandFan on September 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM

So I guess this proves once and for all that Google searches are in no way biased.

LOL.

OOOH, I’m a multi-billionaire, please take my money. Hell man, be a patriot and give all your money to the gubmint.

fogw on September 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Individual free will.

Try it,you’ll like it.

pjean on September 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM

BBC Speechless As Trader Tells Truth: “The Collapse Is Coming…And Goldman Rules The World”

the_nile on September 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I’m sure they were ALL plants, not just the one guy!

PattyJ on September 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM

=============================================

Intetresting,maybe that number should be lower,
just like how the MSM views,the African American
unemployment numbers!!
(sarc).

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Odd isn’t it, how Barry is raising and spending a billion dollars trying to keep his job, but not doing much to help other people find a job.

President Me.

fogw on September 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I want someone to ask him what is enchanting about being president.

Oh, and to grade his performance since his last report card of a solid B+.

Scrappy on September 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Question O’da day…

Do you have to be STUPID…

AND…

HELPLESS to be Google Exec….?!?!?

Ragspierre on September 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM

“Would you please raise my taxes?”

GarandFan on September 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM

GarandFan:Excellent point,the Social-Justice Crusade,marchs on!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

“It’s the opposite of leadership but darned good electoral strategy, and that’s what’s important.”

Pretty much…!

Seven Percent Solution on September 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I don’t want
Anybody else
When I think about you
I tax myself…

ronsfi on September 26, 2011 at 6:14 PM

+100

Scrappy on September 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

How brave of the man, his money safely hidden away and invested offshore he’s now willing to have his income taxes raised….after retiring.

Ask him if he would be willing to have his saving accounts taxed at 90%, the man would change his tune so fast he would set a land speed record.

I hate limousine liberals.

Bishop on September 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM

These guys are the dumbest ****ing people on the planet.

WisCon on September 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Republicans should pass a bill that allows any American to easily pick up a phone, dial a number, and donate as much as they can to the Federal govt 24/7. Have your debit card ready because operators are standing by. Surely we would erase our debt problem in a week. Right??

Southernblogger on September 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That assclown who asked that boneheaded question was such an obvious plant, it’s a wonder the jerk didn’t have leaves and roots!

Obama must really think that the rest of us are just plain stupid or worse, that he would go as far as allow his staff to attempt something this blatantly fake and not think anyone would question the authenticity of the moment.

In this case, it was as fraudulent and phony as Obama’s so-called sincerity!

I have absolutely no respect for this joke of a POTUS! None whatsoever!

pilamaye on September 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Rich guilt…

Just give it away and go live on the streets.

freedomplow on September 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hahahaha, Mr. President on FOX saying that everything has gotten so ideological and everyone is focused on the next election instead of getting things done. EVERYone, Mr. PResident? Or just you?

scalleywag on September 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

The idiot had to be a plant also. Nobody is that lucky.

Southernblogger on September 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

============================

Julio weighs in,Obama says he (Julio) will
have more loot,form off-setting his payroll tax!

2009-FEB Oh Gracious God! Julio Osegueda
*****************************************

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Why not donate all his Google money to the local public schools? Wait that would mean he’d have to….what’s that word….sacrifice.

It’s easy for someone with $100M to say tax me more. If he has $100M or $90M he won’t even notice. But for someone making $100K, an extra $10K will be noticed.

angryed on September 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM

How come Obama is not ashamed to sit there and nod, in such a charade?

What are the chances that that guy is a plant?

Was that a question? That in and by itself is stupid.

God, the country is spiraling toward the abyss and the fool in chief plays kindergarten.

May all who participate be punished, severely.

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Raising taxes on people who already pay 70% of income taxes?

Where’s the gain?

What is it the nation would get out of it, in exchange for some covetous peoples cheers?

Speakup on September 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Suggestion for Obama:

Add this line to form 1040:

1. Do you want to file your taxes for 2011 using the Bush tax rates or the Clinton tax rates? And if all these libs want to pay Clinton tax rates, just fill out the paperwork and use Clinton rates. If you want the Bush rates, use the Bush rates.

Then everyone is happy.

angryed on September 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM

YOU ARE FREE TO WRITE A NICE, BIG, FAT, F*CKING CHECK TO THE US GOVERNMENT.

blatantblue on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Write a check pal and leave the rest of us alone!

Chip on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Cut a check on your own.

rbj on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

The fact that these bozo’s don’t write those checks, and Buffett runs around spouting for it, while owing back taxes says it all. They don’t want to pay. They want others to pay.

capejasmine on September 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Remember,Bundlers form 2008,are already going to get employment in 2012!!
——–

27 Obama bundlers have already topped $500,000
Updated: 8:49 am, July 28, 2011
**************************************

More than 40 bundlers from 2008 who received government appointments after Obama’s election have returned as major fundraisers.

iWatch News reported in June how many bundlers from the 2008 campaign had jobs or commission spots from the administration. In total, 43 bundlers from 2008 later received government appointments and have returned as bundlers for 2012. Of those, five were listed as giving $500,000 or more so far in 2012. They are:

John Emerson, of Beverly Hills, who was appointed to the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations, raised at least $100,000 in 2008.
Michael Kempner, Cresskill, N.J., was named to the Council for Community Solutions. He bundled $100,000 for the 2008 campaign.
Kirk Rudy, of Austin, Texas, was appointed to the United States Holocaust Memorial Council. He raised at least $200,000 for 2008.
Andy Spahn, a $50,000 bundler in 2008 who was appointed to the President’s Commission on Arts and Humanities, has raised more than $500,000 so far for 2012.
Jane Stetson, of Norwich, Vt., a $200,000 bundler in 2008, also has reached the $500,000 milestone for 2012. She is a chair of the Democratic National Committee and her husband was appointed to the board of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
More……….)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I hate limousine liberals.

Bishop on September 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Bishop:Well,they are employeed,driving the Dirty Rotten Filthy
Rich Bundlers around to Hopey donor fund raisers!

Hey,did you catch the Link I sent you,about 5 days ago,
on racism charges against a sporting Bait store?!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM

YOU ARE FREE TO WRITE A NICE, BIG, FAT, F*CKING CHECK TO THE US GOVERNMENT.

blatantblue on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

blatantblue:Ahem,Lol,btw,I do like the new aggressive BB,
….rock on…..lets ROLL:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Btw,how about auditing the Filthy Rich Obama
Campaign Donors,since all Hopey/Changey Cash
roads,leads back to Obama!!!

Jus say’n!!

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Quit Griping!
Put On Your Marching Shoes!
Black Supremacists, CBC!
Push On, Civilian National Security Force!
The miracle of revisionism makes Obama into MLKjr.
Depression, Racism and Class Warfare!
Obama ’12!!!!!!!11!!!!!1!

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM

/as if every bundler is named and enumerated/

Obama won’t have Gaddafi bundling ’12…

But soros4ever.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:05 PM

If little Bammie had suggested an unrealized capital gains tax, the questioner would have collapsed on the spot clutching his chest.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM

What tax bracket do the unemployed fall into?

bigmacdaddy on September 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM

No, can you resend it, when I leave HA for the night I just leave without notice so it might have gone unnoticed by me.

Bishop on September 26, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Jackwagon, Obama asskisser, has an extra $300K. Does he donate it to church/charity? Does he donate it to the govt. that he apparently loves so much? Nope. Instead he gives it to the democrat party.

It absolutely galls me that not enough people in America ask these type of questions. Critical thinking seems to have fallen by the wayside. Also, all these people that want to see the rich soaked; I ask them how would that put more money in your pocket?

arnold ziffel on September 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I sure hope the media (lol) does a Joe the plumber on this cat. Can we get a copy of his 1040? Did he take any deductions ? I know the answer. It’s an exercise in mental masturbation. Please raise my taxes. Yea sure. I buy it. And santa clause the Easter bunny the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

ColdWarrior57 on September 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Reason #498,091 why I never use Google.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Southernblogger on September 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM

No, a voluntary tax system has never worked in this history of the modern democracy.

I think Bloomberg had it right- don’t target any one group but raise taxes by 2 to 3 percent across the board. This would return tax rates to their historical norm and when matched with deep entitlement cuts- such as a higher eligibility age for social security and reduced cost of living increases- would lead to a balanced budget over the next decade. I’d also like to see military cutbacks, but I don’t think that’s realistic given the strong support for military spending across partisan lines.

bayam on September 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM

LOL.

OOOH, I’m a multi-billionaire, please take my money.

fogw on September 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

You have no idea how much wealth the internet and gadget booms have created in silicon valley. And you have to realize these people live in communities where employers are fighting to find and hire people- there’s literally no real unemployment.

To these people, the greatest threat to their future success and personal wealth is a US government default event that would destroy the value of the US dollar and the purchasing power of the average American. In their minds, higher taxes are a fair price to pay for insurance against a default.

bayam on September 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM

What are you talking about- they are the rich. Look at the Forbes list of 10 richest Americans or the names of the CEOs of the top companies in silicon valley.

bayam on September 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I don’t know how all these lazy people got so much money but apparently figuring out on their own how to give the feds more money is just too much work. So let’s make it even easier with these additional lines on the tax form: Do you think you pay too little federal tax? If yes, what higher amount would you like to pay? Make your check out for that higher ammount.

To make it even more fun, I think the President should have a part of the SOTU in which he praises the top ten “heroes of the IRS” by name telling how much extra they paid.

edshepp on September 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM

ugh…January 2013 cannot get here soon enough.

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Amen…if only time would go by faster so we can hand him his pink slip.

I can’t wait for him to be out of office.

Conservative Samizdat on September 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Huh. I wonder if he has ever used an IRA or 401k or itemized expenses or declared any dependents.

Bet he has.

Tool.

TexAz on September 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM

“Please raise my taxes” said the man who made his fortune during the Bush years……..

Ben Hur on September 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Wow, that was a randomly chosen audience member….

Former exec. from Google and big Dem. donar…

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Precisely.

Obozo’s entire platform is nothing but theater. Ridiculous that this clown gets taken seriohsly.

KMC1 on September 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

If he cared anything about his country, he’d use all his extra cash to start a business, hire some employees, and create some new taxPAYERS instead of asking for new taxes.

mbs on September 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Why am I not surprised that AP doubts that the long-time and often large-scale Dem donor and organizer who said *EXACTLY* what Obama wanted to hear was a plant?

I mean, it’s not like random Obama questioners have ever turned out to be campaigners and organizers and big donors before.

Wait, what?

Merovign on September 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

bayam on September 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You know what, No Thank You! I pay enough taxes and I’m sick of giving more and more of my money to a government that is primarily interested in funneling it to their favored groups in order to enrich themselves and retain power. Your little fantasy assumes that the federal government is a good steward of our money, and that has been proven false over and over again.

mbs on September 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM
=============================================

Bishop on September 26, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Bishop:I hear ya,here ya go!:)
——————————

Bishop:Hopey/Changey Goons are going after the **LURES**!:)
===============================================================

Retailer Bass Pro accused of hiring discrimination
EEOC claims outdoors retailer discriminated against black, Hispanic job applicants
Sept 23 2011
***************
*****************

CNN) — Outdoor sporting goods retailer Bass Pro Shops is being sued by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for allegedly engaging in a pattern of hiring discrimination against African-American and Hispanic job applicants, the EEOC said in a statement Wednesday.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas. The EEOC alleges the discrimination has been ongoing since November 2005.
(More……….)
==========

canopfor on September 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Oh my, you’re such a victim!

bayam on September 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I’m unempolyed by choice because I made millions and no longer have to work so could you please raise taxes on the working people now?

Dollayo on September 27, 2011 at 12:44 AM

These selfish people trying to steal from others.

Write a check to the government if you want your stinking taxes raised!

scotash on September 27, 2011 at 1:43 AM