Hey, who’s up for another “maybe Christie’s running, but probably not” post?

posted at 8:02 pm on September 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Yes, another day of this crap, I’m afraid — but thankfully, this might be it. He’s speaking tomorrow night at the Reagan Library (on the theme of “Real American Exceptionalism”) and everyone expects some signal of his intentions. I’m utterly convinced that he’s not running and that he’ll affirm that tomorrow, but until then let’s milk this topic for one more post’s worth of easy traffic. Keep hope alive, Tom Kean!

Former New Jersey governor Tom Kean, who has known Chris Christie since he was a teenager and remains an informal adviser, tells National Review Online that the governor is “very seriously” considering a presidential bid.

“It’s real,” Kean says. “He’s giving it a lot of thought. I think the odds are a lot better now than they were a couple weeks ago.”…

“More and more people are talking to him,” Kean says. “He’s getting appeals from major figures around the country.” Kean, for his part, is also encouraging the first-term Republican to jump in. “He is the best speaker I may have ever heard in politics,” he tells me.

So, he’s leaning yes? Well, no:

Mr. Christie’s aides say the governor hasn’t budged from his months-long insistence that he won’t enter the presidential fray, despite what one described as a “relentless” stream of calls over the last week from prominent Republicans urging him to run.

“None of that triggers any new thinking on his part,” said one Christie adviser. “He’s very polite to these people: ‘Thank you for calling. That’s very flattering. I’ll let you know.’ And I think they interpret that, ‘Ah-ha! A rethinking.’”

A speech Mr. Christie will deliver Tuesday evening at the Ronald Reagan presidential library in California has nonetheless intensified speculation about the governor’s intentions. Aides insist he won’t use the appearance to make any surprise announcement.

New Jersey’s lieutenant governor also said tonight flatly that he’s not running, as did a spokesman for the New Jersey Republican Party. In fact, even Mitch Daniels, who’s talked him up as a potential candidate, told the Weekly Standard today that he spoke to Christie last week and “I saw no evidence that he’s going to change his mind.” So, he’s obviously a no, then, right? Well, funny thing: Over the weekend I got an e-mail from a friend who’s also friends with an influential international political aide. (My friend told me the aide’s name.) The aide knows a bunch of GOP bigwigs and he told my friend that the sense he got from them was that Christie is definitely in. Which is to say, I think we might now be past the point where people are speculating about Christie running for strategic reasons, in hopes that the resulting swell of enthusiasm will convince him to do it. I think some people now really do believe that he’s thinking about it — even though he’s almost certainly not really thinking about it. The question is, why is there so much confusion about this? Who’s the liar inside the Christie camp who’s telling “sources” that Christie’s reconsidering even though he isn’t? And … why?

Two clips here, the first of Rove speculating that Christie has three weeks(!) to decide and the second an old clip of the man himself reiterating that he’s not not not not not running. Exit question: Shouldn’t Romney-haters want Christie in the race even if they’re not fans of CC either? Best-case scenario is that those two split the centrist vote and Perry sweeps to victory. Worst-case scenario is that Christie wins the nomination outright and instead of facing Obama with a centrist from Massachusetts who pioneered the individual mandate we face him with a centrist from New Jersey who’s great on entitlements and has a knack for taking it to his opponents. Why, I might be willing to support him for this alone.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Speculation Hubba-Balooy!

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Bishop!

massrighty on September 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Hey, who’s up for another “maybe Christie’s running, but probably not” post?

Chris Christie has not run in years. Trot maybe, but no running.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I’m not up for it.

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!

honsy on September 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I hope he doesn’t run. There are enough RINOs in this world. [cough]Allah[cough].

shawk on September 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

We already have 2 moderate front-runners, we don’t need another.

echosyst on September 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Why is he being such a tease?!!

promachus on September 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Trial balloon to see how many goes all Ann Coulter on the rumor.

the_nile on September 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Why would he want to waste his time?

flyfisher on September 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

zzzzzz

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

So, he’s obviously a no, then, right? Well, funny thing: Over the weekend I got an e-mail from a friend who’s also friends with an influential international political aide. (My friend told me his name.) The aide knows a bunch of GOP bigwigs and he told my friend that the sense he got from them was that Christie is definitely in.

My uncle’s brother-in-law’s sister has a cousin, and his haidresser said he knows a guy who said Christie is running. So its pretty much confirmed!

sharrukin on September 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Why would he want to waste his time?

flyfisher on September 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Ego.

the_nile on September 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Out.

Done.

Rebar on September 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Christie might run well, but probably not, because he has no idea what it will be like. We need someone who’s run nationally, is a conservative, keeps on message, somewhat charismatic, compelling personal story. Too bad there’s no one like that.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Who has been speculated on more – Christie or Palin?

gophergirl on September 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Why would he want to waste his time?

flyfisher on September 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I read somewhere he probably wouldn’t get re-elected in NJ as gov.

a capella on September 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM

He needs to stay in NJ!

bluemarlin on September 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

The Republican Beltway elites would love to see Christie in this race. Hey, why don’t we have the media pick the next president? That worked out so well the last time.

52%

Rovin on September 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Where are the Christinistas?

SlaveDog on September 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM

This teasing is just as annoying as when Palin does it, but in this case it’s the difference between a fat man and a hawt gal.

IR-MN on September 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM

He will not run because he is not a conservative.

tim c on September 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I’ll start caring about this stuff next spring.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on September 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM

The Last Temptation of Christie

Lawdawg86 on September 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Who asked him is what I wanna know…

Not ME!

golfmann on September 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The Last Temptation of Christie

Lawdawg86 on September 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Perfect!

tim c on September 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

52%

Rovin on September 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I don’t think it is just the elite. My brother loves the guy and he is certainly no elitist. I just don’t know if he will continue to love him if he gets in the race and everyone finds out more about him.

The thing about Christie is that he has over performed and that is good for a politician’s record.

People don’t like him because he is an elitist, just the opposite. They like him because he is tough and brash. Outspoken.

Terrye on September 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hes not running. He’s not as whimsical or indecisive as…others.

mythicknight on September 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM

True.

Terrye on September 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Christine should run! She’s a true conservative who doesn’t stray at all.

lorien1973 on September 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Why is he being such a tease?!!

promachus on September 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Ann Coulter, when will you tell Chritie to fish or cut bait?

predator on September 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Christine should run! She’s a true conservative who doesn’t stray at all.

lorien1973 on September 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM

LOL wrong Crist. We’re talking about Charlie Crist, former governor (FL-R). He has nothing else to do. I say, if he wants to run, then run. The more the better.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Christine should run! She’s a true conservative who doesn’t stray at all.

lorien1973 on September 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM

And a compelling personal story.

SlaveDog on September 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Don’t run. wait until 2016. This country is a mess. Gonna be for another few years. No matter who is President. I’d just assume have Obama stay in office because things are going to be so screwed up for a while I want him and the Democrats to get the blame. Know that sounds crazy but I’m thinking that way.

Hummer53 on September 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

He cannot win. Period. His stance on the 2nd Amendment, climate change and other issues held closely by conservatives would cost him and maybe the GOP the election.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on September 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Don’t run. wait until 2016. This country is a mess.

Hummer53 on September 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

It is a mess. Like 1932. Then we got 13 years of FDR. And his legacy lives on.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Well, he has a job now. Working for Morgan and Morgan, a Florida personal injury law firm. Saw his ad on T.V. last night.

“Morgan and Morgan – For the Orange People”.

SlaveDog on September 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Run Christie. Further dilute the RINO vote.

Slowburn on September 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Hummer53 on September 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

That would be an awful decision for Christie. Jindal, Pence, Kasich, Rubio, etc. will have their eyes on the White House by 2016/2020. It’s now or never for Christie. And it sure doesn’t look like he’s running.

Lawdawg86 on September 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Worst-case scenario is that Christie wins the nomination outright and …

…immediately keels over from a heart attack.

Sorry, but it has to be said. Oh well, that being said, the topic is a refreshing change from: Hey, who’s up for another maybe Palin’s running, but maybe not post.

Buy Danish on September 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Christie run? Fat chance.

And why is it too late for others like Palin to build an organization, but not Moby Governor? How does he raise money? Does he pass a hat around the local McDonalds? Have a bake sale? Wear a sign that says “Will sweat for money?”

I’ll stop before I say say something making fun of his weight, since I don’t believe in personal insults.

Shotgun Messiah on September 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Shotgun Messiah on September 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

If William Howard Taft’s “fat” bathtub is still in storage in the White House basement, he’s in luck.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

There has to be a reason Ann Coulter keeps harping about it.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

There has to be a reason Ann Coulter keeps harping about it.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Because she’s a harpie?

Shotgun Messiah on September 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM

There has to be a reason Ann Coulter keeps harping about it.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I read a little bio about her a couple of years ago. Her dad was a big time union-busting lawyer, IIRC. She was raised in a very anti-union household (which is fine with me), but I think the fact that he took on the public unions is what makes her “moist in the shorts” over Christie.

It’s disappointing if that’s the case because she supposedly is such a conservative voice. But it seems she’s willing to put aside all his anti-conservative beliefs over something. I can only guess that the union thing is driving her.

predator on September 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM

If you’re tired of hearing about/reading these Christie stories AP, then perhaps you should stop posting them.

LiquidH2O on September 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM

When the White House photographer takes pictures like this, you know they are worried about Christie: Chris Christie Having Second Thoughts

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Yay!! Like we NEED another RINO in the race. No thanks.

Sporty1946 on September 26, 2011 at 9:54 PM

YAWN

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM

He will not run because he is not a conservative.

tim c on September 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I think that’s about right.

The jive-talking about Christie-running-not-running-running-no-seriouslyheis-not-noway…
seems to be some sort of marketing method, ploy of sorts, you know, keep the customer-base running from aisle to aisle in search of the best deal to keep them in the store.

“Trial balloon” perhaps…

Lourdes on September 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Jindal and the LAGOP are hosting a rally for Christie at the Baton Rouge Airport on Thursday.

Kermit on September 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Sorry should have added to Louisiana Congressmen to the hosts, Scalise & Cassidy.

Kermit on September 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Hey, who’s up for another “maybe Christie’s running, but probably not” post?

Do the letters FO mean anything to you?

Freddy on September 27, 2011 at 2:39 AM