Herman Cain’s crowded calendar

posted at 4:05 pm on September 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Herman Cain wins the Florida straw poll, and, all of a sudden, his dance card is full. Next week will be a particularly busy one for the candidate.

He’ll meet Monday with the Donald, only the third out-and-out candidate to do so. (Rick Perry met with him earlier this year and Mitt’s meeting with him today.) Why that should matter, I’m not quite sure, except that Donald Trump is adept at stirring media attention and also, just like Sarah Palin, must at all costs be dissuaded from a third-party run (which has always been a remote possibility for Trump, but a possibility nevertheless).

The next day, he’ll confer with Ed Koch, who as Politico’s Maggie Haberman put it, “has once again emerged in a national context after he drove a pro-Israel message as a cudgel against President Obama in NY-9.” (If that’s true, kudos to Mr. Koch, but I think that’s giving Koch a little too much credit. If Obama unequivocally supported Israel, his foreign policy would be unable to wielded as a cudgel. Obama only has himself to blame for the loss of NY-9.) Koch has plenty of means at his disposal to help Cain if he so chooses, though, so the meet-up must be an exciting opportunity for the former Godfather’s pizza CEO, who surely knows a thing or two about a business meeting.

Wednesday, Cain’s book comes out. Media frenzy ensues! (Well, maybe not a “frenzy,” but the book should at least help Cain’s name stay in headlines.)

And, at some later date, the bold and fresh Dennis Miller will headline a fundraiser in L.A. for Cain. Does it get any better than that? (Seriously! I love Dennis Miller!)

Gotta say this for Herman Cain: He truly believes in his own candidacy — and he won’t be giving up any time soon. It’s not hard to see why he won the Florida straw poll. In debates, he’s upbeat and on-point. The more people know him, the more they like him. Pundits like Matt Lewis and Kathleen Parker have warned not to underestimate him, reminding readers of his persistent positive intensity score and his observable ability to learn from his mistakes. But it’s also not hard to see why he’s perceived as unelectable: First and foremost, he lacks political experience. For that reason alone, despite the increased attention this week, Cain remains unlikely to capture the nomination. But, until the party does pick its nominee, watching Cain run for president is a pleasure.

Update: This post originally mistakenly referred to Ed Koch, former mayor of New York City, as one of the Koch brothers (David and Charles Koch) of Wichita, Kan. The post has been corrected above.

Comments

(If that’s true, kudos to Mr. Koch, but I think that’s giving the Wichita businessman a little too much credit. If Obama unequivocally supported Israel, his foreign policy would be unable to wielded as a cudgel. Obama only has himself to blame for the loss of NY-9.)

No, no, no. They don’t mean the Koch (‘coke’) Brothers, they mean Ed Koch (‘kotch’), the former NY mayor. As in, the guy who endorsed Turner.

KingGold on September 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Good for him. He’s definitely a great option – better than Romney.

gophergirl on September 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

AND the race card goes out the window if he’s the nominee. Almost.

I can hear it now though: “You’re still racists you Republicans, that’s why you nominated a black man, to hide the fact that you’re racist, or to expiate your racist guilt, which proves you’re racists.”

Akzed on September 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I’d happily vote for the guy….plus it would be fun to watch the CBC have a collective aneurysm as they found news an inventive ways to call Cain and ‘Uncle Tom’

tpw on September 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM

$$$ Herman Needs Cash$$$

Run Herman Run!

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

So far, he has my vote in the primaries.

Jay on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Looks like a palin/Cain ticket to me. Two outsiders bringing reality to the political class. In many ways a dream ticket and we would still have ryan/ rubio in the on deck circle.Dam,we really could get the country back!

tim c on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Q: When has Sarah Palin ever hinted at a third-party run?
A: Never.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

$$$ Herman Needs Cash$$$

Run Herman Run!

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He’s already running, and I’m pretty sure that posting a link on nearly every thread begging for campaign contributions would technically qualify as spamming under the terms of use.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

@KingGold: Whoa. *Stupid* mistake. I’m so used to folks dragging the Kochs into every conservative victory or misstep that I see that spelling and assume it’s either David or Charles they’re talking about … even when I’m writing “Ed.” Thanks for catching it so I could correct it!

Tina Korbe on September 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I like Herman’s response to people that complain about his lack of political experience…..he says “electing folks that have spent a lifetime in politics…..how has that worked out for us?”

Reagan’s greatness didn’t come from his knowlege of how to pay politics, it came from his message and the fact he never waivered from his core principles. Had he been a good executive, he wouldn’t have had the numerous screw-ups on his watch.

David in ATL on September 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

What’s this crap about “just like Sarah Palin, must at all costs be dissuaded from a third-party run”. I keep wanting to believe you’re smarter than this Tina, but then I have to remind myself that, politically, you are still in your training bra.

Extrafishy on September 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Good post on Mr. Cain. However, I’d disagree about his political experience, per se. He may be a little rough around the diplomatic edges, but he’s no bumpkin. As a matter of fact, he has more political capability than the the current CinC already. Why? He learns from his mistakes. He listens to rerasonable people. He makes sound judgements. He HAS a plan. As a founder and former CEO of a very large business, he KNOWS what it takes to create and maintain employment for thousands. He KNOWS what a budget is and WHY it’s important. I could go on but the comparisons would all be the same across the board: jobs, national security, the national debt, etc.

HomeoftheBrave on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It’s getting to the point where I don’t want to read the comments at hotair anymore. Every single post brings out the Palin comments.
This is about Cain, not Palin.
I wish people would shush about her unless she jumps in the race. So far, she’s irrelevant to these posts. I’m just sayin’

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Most folks view that as a positive.

BacaDog on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I hope he’s not. There was an article earlier today(the one where he’s quoted calling Barry’s taxation plan “bullsh-t”) where he confesses to having almost dropped out on 2 separate occasions. I’m hoping the Florida straw poll upset convinces him to stick around for the long haul.

Doughboy on September 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM

i like him

Drunk Report on September 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

This is about Cain, not Palin.

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

She was mentioned in the third sentence of the original post. If you’ve got a problem with that, you should take it up with Tina Korbe.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Love me some Cain

blatantblue on September 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Q: When has Sarah Palin ever hinted at a third-party run?
A: Never.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Hmmm…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Count me as a Cainiac. If hope he is on the ballot for the primaries. Can you imagine the political clout a non-politician would wield after winning an election that is already being described as a “choice” between two different versions of America?

I’m not in a mood to elect a dictator, but DC needs someone who actually knows the free market to essentially call the shots, or at the very least, set up expectations of what really needs to be done. I, like everyone, am sick and tired of politicians.

Still, Anyone But Obama, 2012.

Mord on September 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

just like Sarah Palin, must at all costs be dissuaded from a third-party run

Please correct your post…. or provide a link

faraway on September 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

LOL…the irony…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I think Cain might win just because no one would be particularly unhappy if he won the nomination.

Try saying that about Mitt, Perry, or Newt.

jhffmn on September 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Hmmm…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Palin: “not that I want to see that”

faraway on September 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I like Cain, not sure that he is my favorite, but none of them are perfect. But if Cain won the nomination I would be happy.

jeffn21 on September 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Cain’s problem with inexperience is not so much what he would do in the Presidency itself, but how he will hold up on the campaign trail. He’s already made some unforced errors which might still be recoverable now, but become the nominee and make them in October 2012 and he’ll be toast. That, and his 999 plan is laughably bad. A sales tax PLUS also keeping the income tax? Worst of both worlds in terms of economy killers.

AngusMc on September 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

HomeoftheBrave on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Good points. I’m sure that upper management in a business can qualify as “political experience” if one were to be generous.

Mord on September 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Palin/Cain

I’ve been saying this since 2010. :-D

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Ed Koch will be the Zell Miller of 2012.

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Most folks view that as a positive.

BacaDog on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It’s a feature…

… not a flaw!

Seven Percent Solution on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hmmm…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

She never suggested or implied in that clip that she would consider running third-party.

It was a warning that SOMEONE might run third-party. It was not a threat.

She ends by saying “not that I want to see that, because I still believe strongy that the GOP planks are best for our country, but, just, the machine that runs the GOP has got to be very careful.”

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

LOL…the irony…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

How so?

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Says the cultist who’s been spamming the Perry threads with crap from your own blog.

That’s rich.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

He is getting a well deserved second wind, but with this comes heavy scrutiny. He looked gaffe prone the last time he face such scrutiny, so I’ll remain cautious about his candidacy, but it’s good to see him getting more recognition.

That 999 plan has to go, it really does bother me. Pass a constitutional amendment requiring 2/3 of both houses for any tax increase, as Reagan wanted, otherwise future liberals in both parties will exploit the hell out of having both a national sales tax in addition to a Federal Income Tax.

Daemonocracy on September 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Doctor Zero’s take.

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I would love to vote for Herman Cain for president.

Big Orange on September 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Can anyone tell me with any certainty the likelihood of cancer returning to a stage-4 survivor?

John the Libertarian on September 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Tina Korbe on September 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Yeah that caught confused me too, but I saw it corrected in the comments. Meeting with Ed Koch is still a boost considering Obama’s difficulty with the Jewish community lately.

Daemonocracy on September 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM

HomeoftheBrave on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Mord on September 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Thanks. I’m really not that naive vis-a-vis “political experience”. All I am saying is that this guy, outside of Newt, is the only one making common sense statements, analogies, and suggestions. Is everything spot-on? Nope, but neither is anyone else – especially the fraud living in the WH. So, I believe if he can maintain a real focus on a plan and stay brutally on point – he can overcome even the best from the teleprompter king.

HomeoftheBrave on September 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That’s rich.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

It wasn’t spamming, as it was always relevant to the points being discussed (e.g., jobs records, economic records, fiscal records) and the data I was discussing was represented graphically on my blog (something not possible to do in the text of a comment at Hot Air). It’s not like I’ve ever begged for money.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Go Herman!!

kringeesmom on September 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Fascinating. So YOU get to redefine what ‘spamming’ means – talk about moving the goalposts…

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

fossten on September 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM

“spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services.

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Cain/Palin.

gh on September 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Most folks view that as a positive.

BacaDog on September 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Agreed.

The same-old, same-old politics is getting us the same-old, same-old results. Political connections and being an inside the beltway player or a ‘mover and shaker’ is now a negative in this new era of politics. Being adored by the MFM and a favorite of the cocktail circuit is no longer a positive set of things to have on your scorecard. Better a dedicated amateur than a skilled ‘professional’ politician.

ajacksonian on September 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

But holy cows you never had a problem with OmahaConservative, did ya?

Please donate to Scott Brown.

OmahaConservative on January 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

He did the same thing for months. Go take a bath, your fear is stinking up the place.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Go take a bath, your fear is stinking up the place.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Fear of what?

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

John the Libertarian on September 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Were he to win the nomination, it would sure make the selection of his VP candidate essential. I’ve seen online that recurrence rates are pretty high. It would be an issue, but one that everyone would tapdance around.

Daemonocracy on September 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

This is problem #1 with Cain’s plan. Getting a national sales tax along with income and corporate taxes is a liberal’s wet dream. If passed, sure taxes might be lower for a couple years. Then Dems will come back into power and it’ll be 25-25-25 and we’ll be paying much, much higher taxes than at present.

AngusMc on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Him being a citizen politician is what make him so appealing to me along with his true conservatism and ideas.

$$$Cain Needs Cash$$$

Cain/McDonnell 2012

Rockshine on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

AngusMc on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

It’s the only issue that concerns me. Otherwise, I love the guy.

John the Libertarian on September 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Cain is on fuego. (Did I say that right?)

Dennis Miller is the first snowflake to drop on the mountaintop of conservative snow waiting to avalanche for someone. I predict he’ll pick up several more endorsements in the next week or two and then …

Avalanche!

MaxMBJ on September 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Do any of you yammering about how you do not like the 9 9 9 plan even know what it is about. If enacted it would replace the current federal income tax with a flat 9% across the board for everyone. Then there would be a 9% business tax and a 9% national sales tax. If my math is correct then that is 27% total if you would qualify for all and if not only 18%. Controlling you own spending would dictate how much of a consumption tax you would pay and everyone would be required to have some skin in the game with a flat 9% federal tax. For all the people sitting on their collective butts it would motivate them to get a damn job to pay for all the stuff that they buy due to the free ride that the government gives them right now. Having something like that would simplify life and go a long ways to paying down the debt and stabilizing things like SS and Medicare.

jistincase on September 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM

$$$Cain Needs Cash$$$

Cain/McDonnell 2012

Rockshine on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Oh No, now you’ve done it///

Where is Steebo with his faux outrage for spamming up the threads and begging for money?

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Yes, it’s about putting in place a national sales tax without elminating the income tax, but with a “we promise, cross our fingers” wink that the rates on each of the 3 taxes won’t go up and up and up in the future. (Not to mention that the math just doesn’t add up — rather than being revenue neutral it actually would take in far, far less than today, which would make the debt/deficit problem even worse.)

AngusMc on September 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM

$$$ Herman Needs Cash$$$

Run Herman Run!

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

No more so than me starting to post on a lot of threads “don’t panic, there’s lots of time and don’t need to make a decision now” to all the people worrying like the election is tomorrow. ;)

Could do a heck of a lot worse than Cain and he could use the attention.

Personally, I think it’s cute. It’s time to play nice with each other now instead of being divisive and cranky. IMHO, of course.

kim roy on September 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM

jistincase on September 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Did you bother reading my concern with the plan? It wasn’t with the details of the plan itself.

Daemonocracy on September 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Extrafishy on September 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

You are a sexist pig.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Damn. Just when I was getting excited about Cain.

Now if David Brooks says something nice about him I’m voting for Ron Paul.

Cicero43 on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hit the nail on the head! That kind of tenacity is one of the reasons I love him. He’s faced more uphill battles than anyone in the field, including Dear Leader. My thought all along was that he’s definately the Dark Horse in this race…but one must avoid any reference to color at all cost. //
I will enthusiastically vote for him and campaign for him given the chance.

Chewy the Lab on September 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM

AngusMc on September 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Why is it any more or less difficult to raise a national sales tax than it is to raise a national income tax? I keep hearing that statement, but don’t see the reasoning behind it.

Note that part of Cain’s 9-9-9 also abolishes the separate capital gains tax and inheritance tax, the AMT structure, etc. IMO, it is a good step toward a flat tax or fair tax.

OnlyOrange on September 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

steebo77 on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

And, she’s right, again! If the GOP insiders insist on shoving Romney down our throats… I just don’t know what will happen.

Fallon on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Cain: I can win (NRO):

Says he’s willing to take VP spot depending on the nominee.

Palin/Cain.

gh on September 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

He’s got my vote in the primaries. I want to see Liberal heads spinning if he becomes the nominee. I can’t wait to see every Black Liberal entertainer calling him every name in the book. It’ll make Independent voters flock to this good man that much more.

ardenenoch on September 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

As an ex-New Yorker, one of the things I liked about Ed Koch was that he did not pander to the Justice Brothers and the endlessly aggrieved minority vote. No political-correctness for him – qualities he and Hermann Cain share, so it’s a natural fit.

BTW, I heard Cain on Hannity’s radio show today. He was in stitches as Hannity played hilarious audio of Democrats pandering to black voters, droppin’ their ‘g’s and tryin’ to sound like black preachers. Fun segment – I hope tonight’s t.v. is as entertaining.

Buy Danish on September 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Finally, something I can get on board with. As much as I have had misgivings about Cain’s (in)ability to run a decent campaign, the man’s heart is clearly in the right place.

All aboard the Cain Train 2012!

gryphon202 on September 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Extrafishy on September 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Jerk.

John the Libertarian on September 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Enjoy the sunshine while you can Herman. You’ll be yesterday’s news faster than you can say Bachmann.

MJBrutus on September 26, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I’m gonna $end him $ome $$$.

kringeesmom on September 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I do like Herman Cain a lot and he seems to be the only one attempting to address the issues of Social Security (Chilean model) and taxes (999). That said, I would prefer a straight flat tax, even at a higher percentage, rather than a combo. When we talk of a national sales tax, I think we forget that it would be on top of our state and local sales taxes. In my county here in CA, our family would be paying 16.75% on every purchase and we are not even the most expensive in the state. Also, we’ve had several “temporary short-term emergency” sales tax hikes that became permanent…I just don’t trust the scoundrels. Of course, without a 2/3 majority, they could do the same thing with a flat-tax.

KaliMom on September 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM

KaliMom on September 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I want him to tell us how soon he imagines he can amend the Constitution to permit a national sales tax. What do we do in the mean time? And what will prevent the nein-nein-nein tax from becoming a 10-10-10 or an 11-11-11 tax?

MJBrutus on September 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

The problem with a national sales tax is that the government will institute the tax, telling us that it will replace the income tax, and that will be a lie. Government is greedy, and they will never turn off one stream of income when they can have both. We will be stuck with both, as happened in Canada.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Herman Cain rocks. A Herman Cain/Marco Rubio would rock a hundred time more. How I would love to watch the Demotards and the Government Run Media try to deal with a Black/Hispanic one-two punch against Barry just on playing the race-card back at ‘em. Throw in the fact that Herman is just brimming with common sense perspective and Marco knows how to captivate a crowd and you have a winning ticket.

vboscaino on September 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I will enthusiastically vote for him and campaign for him given the chance.

Chewy the Lab on September 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I have to agree with you there Chewy, this guy has been a scrapper all of his life, he gets back on the horse without blinking an eye, I like that about him.
And this point too–he seems to be adept at surrounding himself with people that know how to get the job done, and to me, that is a very important skill for POTUS. Nobody knows it all, just too much going on in the world. Being able to put together a cabinet of competent, motivated people is very important to me (we have seen the damage a payback cabinet can do).
The next few weeks are going to be interesting for sure.

JusDreamin on September 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM

just got a flyer….cain coming to phoenix 17Oct

cmsinaz on September 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

“First and foremost, he lacks political experience” Well, this is actually his strength and one of the main reason to believe him that he will reform government and make it smaller. An experienced politician thinks he can run a town, State or country. Cain knows it’s best to let the people run their life in freedom. A former CEO, he knows what policies create jobs and the importance of balancing your books.

Experienced politicians may good at making small improvements in how the State works. After Obama and years of deficit spending (also under W), improvements won’t do to regain world leadership. What the US needs is a total shift back to free enterprise.

FrenchguyinTaiwan on September 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM

But, but, according to unseen, Cain should be working it in IA, NH & SC post-haste, kissing babies et al to capitalize on his FL straw poll win. Forget the durn media publicity & book and do the bus tour STAT.

Serious, good for Cain and I hope he leverages this for all it’s worth into the top tier from here on out.

AH_C on September 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Palin/Cain

I’ve been saying this since 2010. :-D

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

They would complement each other and their strengths combined would be formidable…and for the libs, terrifying.
At this point I would support Palin/Any Conservative.

SKYFOX on September 27, 2011 at 6:29 AM

My birthday was Sunday and I got my last 2 wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, so I’m a little behind here.

All the news about Cain is very heartening.

The most important thing about Cain to remember is that there is a plurality of support for him. No one hates him.

He is the first or second choice of most Republican, Conservative and conservative leaning Independents. And he is liked and acceptable to most of the others. Someone few would simply be holding their noses for. Someone we can all be proud of.

No other GOP candidate (declared or undeclared) fits that bill.

Elisa on September 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hope my comments are not stupider than usual now that I don’t have those teeth. lol

Elisa on September 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM