Audio: Bret Baier says Obama exaggerated booing of gay soldier at the Fox GOP debate

posted at 5:25 pm on September 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

At a fundraiser in San Jose yesterday, President Obama slammed the crowd at the Fox/Google GOP debate for booing a gay soldier, projecting the behavior of a few rude audience members onto more than 5,000 debate-goers and the entire GOP.

“Some of you here may be folks who actually used to be Republicans but are puzzled by what’s happened to that party, are puzzled by what’s happening to that party,” Obama said. “I mean, has anybody been watching the debates lately? You’ve got a governor whose state is on fire denying climate change. It’s true. You’ve got audiences cheering at the prospect of somebody dying because they don’t have health care and booing a service member in Iraq because they’re gay.”

In an interview with Brian Kilmeade on “Kilmeade and Friends” radio, Fox News anchor Bret Baier — who was actually present at the debate — today set the record straight (quite apart from correcting the president’s lack of pronoun-antecedent agreement). (To listen to the audio file, click here.)

“The audience was, I think, 5,500, maybe,” Baier said. “Huge, huge audience. And the boos on that gay soldier I would say may have been two people, maybe three, out of 5,500. Now, it was loud. It was audible. It was a cavernous facility — the Orange County Convention Center. But … it would be painting with a broad brush to say that the crowd booed the gay soldier.”

But disdain for the subtle niceties of the facts has long characterized Obama’s speeches — and likely will continue to mark his remarks. Today, for example, at a LinkedIn-hosted townhall in Mountain View, Calif., the president claimed we presently have the lowest tax rates since the 1950s. In the first place, that depends on what income bracket you’re looking at — top or bottom. But, even more importantly, that claim conveniently ignores the truth that the total tax burden is rising to the highest level in history. Just one example among many that indicates just how expert the president is at skewing information to suit his purposes.

But more broadly, regarding his Sunday speech in San Jose, ripping into Republicans — half the people he’s supposedly serving right now — was purely unpresidential. Keith Koffler captures it perfectly:

It’s one thing to lambaste your opponents and their ideas. But the president of the United States should not be describing the other Party as un-American. It’s worse than sordid, divisive politics. It’s an ignominious, even somewhat frightening thing for a president to do, and it demonstrates a real ignorance on the part of Obama about the Constitutional role of his position.

Progs are pleased with the president’s newly harsh, strident tone — but the rest of the country should be on high alert for any more inappropriate comments coming from the guy who is supposed to be looking out for the best interests of all of us — not just for what’s in the supposed best interest of his reelection. By relentlessly bringing his diatribes to light, we can make sure he has to think of the former to even have a chance at securing the latter.

Comments

I really hate Barack.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

The meme is set. We are stupid again – volume 5,345,223.

faraway on September 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Man made climate change causes boos.

NotCoach on September 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

How soon before King Barry calls Herman Cain an “Uncle Tom” or a “sellout”?

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Was there ever a question as to who our current President represents or how unqualified and ignorant of the job he holds he is?

Koa on September 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

B’s got his G’s back.

Ben Hur on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Paulnuts

William Amos on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Why would they have 5500 people in the audience of a GOP debate..?

d1carter on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I don’t know if I can make it till Nov. 2012. Everyday it’s some new disaster at the hands of this hateful man. Lord give me the strength to hang in there!

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Dick.

Dead Hand Control on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Demagoguing. It’s all he’s got.

This goes to kind of a pet peeve for me. Barack Obama is not a nice man. He never had been. He is rude and condescending, and relies far too much on sarcasm and ridicule. For the life of me I do not understand the president’s “personal popularity” numbers — that so many report that they “like” him. He is deeply unlikable. The kind of person one avoids socially at all costs because he’s just such a jerk that you know you’ll have to apologize for him when he walks away. He has no friends, appears to have had few or no friends his entire life. I think he has alienated everyone he has ever met by just being an insufferable jackass. Why do so many miss that?

Rational Thought on September 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I agree. However, I’ve stopped praying for strength out of fear that I will use that strength to slap the sh!t out of someone. I am now praying for patience. It’s my only hope!

milwife88 on September 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Leading from so far back he’s not even in context.

DanMan on September 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

milwife88 on September 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

LOL! Patience is a better choice!

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I remember…it was the Republican convention in 1992. A reporter asked someone something and that person said that–and this is from long ago memory–”this is the real America, not those loons and hippies in (wherever the Democrat convention was that year.)

I forget who that someone was, but it wasn’t George H.W. Bush. But boy, did that quote get play. I remember seeing it played over and over and over again, and I remember Mark Shields playing it and very self-righteously informing some or another panel that therein was the “rancid stench of McCarthyism.”

I’ll report back with media reaction to Barry’s remarks.

Typhoon on September 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I really hate Barack.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

The problem is the crowd at these debates are just reinforcing the stereotype of Republicans. When the cheers for letting the sick man die happened, I thought it was paulbots. Now this? Maybe the Dems have some people sneaking into the debates to do this stuff.

I don’t know. These debates are a joke. I would like to see the RNC run the debates and have them like the Demint forum. Maybe they can show them on PBS or CSPAN. They also need to limit the crowd to actual Republicans, such as precinct chairmans, GOP county leadership….that sort of thing. I hate to exclude people, but this is going to be a big issue come the general. Those incidents are already made into an ad that will be played over and over again until Nov 2012.

ramrants on September 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Drink copious amounts of alcohol like me.

Knucklehead on September 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM

This is Obama’s worst moment. He’s acting like a child, in full view of everyone.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM

All the vast majority of Americans will know about this is what the MSM tells them, Obama’s words are gospel…

Elbar on September 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I must ask, was the booing done by audience members / delegates or Fox producers creating that must see moment?

meci on September 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM

So what did Obama have to say to the guy who was cursing at Sarah Palin’s kid?

I mean aren’t you

puzzled

by the way his party acts? /sigh

Scrappy on September 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM

This is as idiotic as saying Obama is guilty of viewing the world the same way the lunatic code pink ladies do. They have outbursts constantly, and they’re liberals just like the president, so why not? They should all be tossed together, right?

3 people out of thousands had a reaction some thought inappropriate. No context, no further discussion from those that made noises, nothing, and this dummy thinks it’s an attack. Shocker.

TheBlueSite on September 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM

“The audience was, I think, 5,500, maybe,” Baier said. “Huge, huge audience. And the boos on that gay soldier I would say may have been two people, maybe three, out of 5,500. Now, it was loud. It was audible. It was a cavernous facility — the Orange County Convention Center. But … it would be painting with a broad brush to say that the crowd booed the gay soldier.”

And how do we know those two or three loudmouths weren’t Democratic plants?

CA_Conservative on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Has it occurred to anyone they were plants? This is an election season. Why didn’t someone bother to find out who those 3 people were? Check and see if they were at any of the other republican debates…..A little fact checking at the debate by Fox News Network (Key word NEWS) wasn’t there tickets, and security? It’s not like it wasn’t being recorded, and they couldn’t go back through the recording.

Dr Evil on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

A possible Lefty Seeding/Stacking/Planted
Perception/Deception Operation!

Two things are clear,entering this 2012 Election cycle,
the Narrational Illusionment of Team Right,by Operatives,
and the ever-helpful Lefty MSM,are,

RACISM
ANTI-GAY!!

MSNBC,is harping and ginny up,Racism,as on the Dylan Raigan Show,
and yes I forced my way through an intire SaturdayNight Live show,
and the theme throughout,was everything Gay related!

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

And how do we know those two or three loudmouths weren’t Democratic plants?

CA_Conservative on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Looks like we were having the same exact thought.

Dr Evil on September 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I have found the training video for liberals.

bloggless on September 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I suppose we are suppose to believe a patriotic audience would boo a solider, because he asked a Santorum a difficult question? They were supposed to be asked difficult questions it was the point of the debate.

Dr Evil on September 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Has it occurred to anyone they were plants?

Dr Evil on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Dr Evil:Sing it Bro,remember the 2008,the planted Lefty McCain
campaign worker with the fake carving in her head,at the
McCain/Palin Rally,with the shout-out of a nasty racist
term,HIlRod’s Camapign Office trashed,later the truth come
s out,it was from Team Obama!!

Oh,this Lefty Saturation Operatives,will sent new
American Political Records,in election history,by
the Social-Justice Crusader Protest Goons,of muck/
sh*t throwing!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

And how do we know those two or three loudmouths weren’t Democratic plants?

CA_Conservative on September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM
========================================

Looks like we were having the same exact thought.

Dr Evil on September 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Dr Evil:Exactly,a trifecta,except,I’m a minute late!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM

the left/press has a new toy that started with the maccaca moment, then to the “racists” in the Palin/McCain crowds, to the infamous slanders of the TP in the healthcare “march”.

Remember Alinski…get them to do stuff they love. Lefties love to denigrate others…it makes them feel good…it is one of the few things in life that makes them feel good. So we’ve evolved from the lefties monitoring each and every public appearance by an R (which will continue) to hold every R to account for everyone in any crowd that they have addressed at any time….or ghostly emanations from the fevered imagination of some half-wit leftist.

Rs need to start calling people liars…and that includes calling the tv anchors slimers for trafficking in this. They have to use strong language to confront the slime

r keller on September 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

canopfor you are so right. All they have to run on is the meme that Conservatives are homophobs, racists, red necks and and gun toting Bible thumpers .Not “progressive” and “open” like Obama and his ilk.We’re a bunch of Neanderthal mouth breathing bigots….

sandee on September 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

To me, it doesn’t matter who booed, why they booed, how, when or what.

Were they a presidential candidate? No. Were they an elected official? No.
They were American citizens (I presume)

Obama doesn’t know what it is to be the POTUS. He has zero respect for the office he holds. That’s quite evident by disrespecting citizens on a weekly basis.

bridgetown on September 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Shirley what’s her name, the black farmer who got a million + for not farming, said at a NAACP meeting as a federal employee she didn’t give the white guy any financial support because he was white, and the crowd, or 2 or 3 in the crowd, who knows, gave an “Amen” to that, that story didn’t get very far. But Obama, he’s the POTUS, and if he wants to smear, people will listen.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Conservatives are sick of identity politics. Heck, I might have booed if I was there.

Paul-Cincy on September 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Typhoon on September 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I believe that was Pat Buchanan who gave an absolutely rip roaring speech. One of the best I’ve ever heard for sheer entertainment!

hamnj7 on September 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Can we finally just be honest:

BO is not that smart.
BO is not that charming.
BO isn’t a great speaker.
BO doesn’t really understand this country.
Bo does have a real mean streak.
BO just needs to go away- now.

Scotsman on September 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Bret Baier says Obama exaggerated booing of gay soldier at the Fox GOP debate

Shhhhh, he’s on a roll.

jnelchef on September 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM

His divisiveness is truly beyond belief. He’s inciting people when he should be leading them. And, he’s a liar.

scalleywag on September 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Dude…what a mountain out of a molehill. Why do we assume they were “booing the gay soldier”? Maybe they were booing the repeal of DADT? We are allowed to still have an opinion on that, right?

Polynath on September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

For all we know the people booing were leftist plants. We know they planned on doing it before.

CW on September 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I would bet money on that one.

capejasmine on September 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I was there. It was one particular loud mouth whose hoot just soared from the back of the audience, with a couple accompanying cackles from others. And there was a collective groan of horror from the rest of us.

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM

At THEIR behavior, let me make that PERFECTLY clear.

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM

A couple of people booed? Where did they think they were, the Bill Maher audience.

Kissmygrits on September 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM

“Some of you here may be folks who actually used to be Republicans

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! I’m surprised the advance team didn’t plant someone to say exactly that! Not to worry, they’ll add that in the future.

Exit question: Hey Barry! It bother you traveling around campaigning on the taxpayers dollar?

GarandFan on September 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Drek

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I fail to understand why there are even audiences at all at these debates. Put the candidates in a studio, focus on two or three issues, and let the candidates develop their visions of governance with depth beyond soundbites. Having an audience creates an atomosphere of campaign pandering and scoring for cheap, non-thoughtful support or understanding. How different is having an audience format from American Idol, The Price Is Right or Dancing with the Stars? The moderators ask disproportionately irrelevant questions, and the candidates either spew canned talking points or play oneupsmanship. (Is that one word?)

onlineanalyst on September 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Considering that Democrats believe that the people who died on 9/11 were “little Eichmanns” who deserved what they got, they have a lot of nerve complaining about booing.

malclave on September 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

This was a trap for the GOP candidates.

Why in the hell did the debate coordinators put a gay soldier on to identify himself as a gay soldier and ask a politically motivated question.

Straight Soldiers aren’t allow to ask questions like that. What did we do here? Overturn DADT and also give Gay Soldiers MORE rights than straight ones?

I’d have boo’ed the guy too. Not for being gay – but for being a soldier and calling up and identifying himself as a soldier – instead of a citizen – and asking that question.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HondaV65 on September 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Oh,this Lefty Saturation Operatives,will sent new
American Political Records,in election history,by
the Social-Justice Crusader Protest Goons,of muck/
sh*t throwing!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Just wait till he dispatches the Goonions. That’s gonna be ugly.

Key West Reader on September 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM

They pulled the same crap at the Tampa debate…. Paulians.

Key West Reader on September 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM

This along with his using the TX fires to mock us on climate change “denial” has finally made me hate him. I get angry all the time at politicians of both parties, but very rarely do I let that devolve into actual hate for the person, even for as abysmal a president as this one. He’s crossed the line with me.

juliesa on September 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM

The people around the boo-er should have responded simultaneously with their respect for the soldier.

Where are the cell phone pictures of the guy booing? From which group attending was he? They should have told him to shut up and made a point of berating him on the record.

When these debates have hecklers, you’ve got to wonder about plants. Where were the FOX cameras on the audience at that moment?

It isn’t a matter of agreeing with enlisted military personnel who are gay/lesbian. But it is a matter of allowing them polite respect to voice their opinion at a political debate.

Santorum should have included a mild rebuke to the audience member before reiterating his own hard line.

It was a moment of bad form. But fleeting. So whatever. It was what it was.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

They pulled the same crap at the Tampa debate…. Paulians.

Key West Reader

I wouldn’t doubt that one bit.

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

…and for the record, I’m against the political Leftist agenda of gay activists.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Where are the cell phone pictures of the guy booing?

No electronics allowed in the room. Bret even made a joke about the TSA running things at the entrance.

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Just wait till he dispatches the Goonions. That’s gonna be ugly.

Key West Reader on September 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Key West Reader:Yes,your more to the point,I wish I came up with
that clever wording(Goonions)!!:)

canopfor on September 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM

They pulled the same crap at the Tampa debate…. Paulians.

Key West Reader on September 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Ticky tacky blame game.

Libertarians don’t cause homosexuals grief.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM

No electronics allowed in the room.

It’s like that at concerts, too. Classical at least.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM

The daily lies and deceptions from Obama and his brainwashed minions are becoming nauseating. Every single day we have to see him campaigning while the country flounders because of his total incompetence. What does a narcissist do when he not on camera? We’ll never know because he is constantly on the mainstream cameras.

volsense on September 26, 2011 at 7:24 PM

It would have been an Obamanot given “reason” to smear the Tea Party format. Or the neoconservative usurpers of the Tea Party, leading back to Santorum’s supporters as the most aggressive military interventionist on stage; or any aggressive Christian fundamentalist agitator, a shade light from Westboro insanity.

maverick muse on September 26, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Koa on September 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

A unequivocal, resounding No! Thanks for asking!

herm2416 on September 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM

This from the network that set up the Orlando debate to make Republican candidates especially Governor Perry look bad? Roger Ailes a real piece of work for his hand in the Orlando debate — Howard Kurtz nailed Fox but are conservatives finally going to realize that Fox News is a not a friend of conservatives? I have my doubts.

Their new flavor at Fox is Christie. Even the NY Post of News Corp weighed in with Christie. Sure makes sense that an article at the WSJ went after Perry since they are also owned by News Corp.

Are the American people going to allow Murdoch and Aisles and the slime at Fox News choose our candidate. Pretty bad when you have to read the info on the The Daily Beast from Kurtz but sure makes the questions and some of the shots of candidates make more sense. His article will be appearing in Newsweek. That is the second article from the Daily Beast that makes more sense in the last week then a lot of conservative sites.

Used to like Bill Sammon but I respect him now as much as I do Geraldo with is zero, zip, nada after reading what he did during the debate.

PhiKapMom on September 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I really hate Barack.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

The RINO-symps in the conservative arena don’t seem to understand what a disgusting liar and demagogue Obama is. I despise him … he’s scum.

Jaibones on September 26, 2011 at 9:20 PM

There is no sexual activity tolerated at Fox News.

lexhamfox on September 26, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Bammy has entered a new, dangerous phase. When a clinically narcissistic person is up against a wall like him anything is possible.

FireBlogger on September 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Global warming climate change chaos causes fire now?

Is there anything it can’t do?

RedNewEnglander on September 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM