Cain: Morgan Freeman’s sad ignorance doesn’t offend me

posted at 2:00 pm on September 25, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

In the aftermath of his big Florida straw poll victory, Herman Cain appeared on Fox with Neil Cavuto, who asked Cain to respond to actor Morgan Freeman’s contention that the Tea Party was based on racism. Cain, who is a favorite at Tea Party events and who owed his remarkable victory yesterday to Tea Party activism, told Cavuto that being a great actor doesn’t always equate to having a grasp on reality. Cain declined to take offense, as Newsbusters reports, and instead focused on the desperation from the old-guard hard Left who just assumed that the race card was a winning trump that was exclusively theirs:

NEIL CAVUTO: Morgan Freeman, the actor, has been very critical of Tea Parties, and said that what they’re doing is racist based, and going after and unseating Obama has at its underpinnings racism. I’m paraphrasing here, but what do you make of that argument?

HERMAN CAIN: Well, first of all, I doubt if Morgan Freeman, with all due respect, who is a great actor, has he ever been to a Tea Party? Most of the people that are criticizing the Tea Parties, Neil, about having a racist element, they have never been to a Tea Party.

CAVUTO: But wait a minute, wait a minute. He has played, wait, wait, wait. He has played a President of the United States.

CAIN: Oh. Great, yeah, in a movie. This is real life out here on the campaign trail, man. This is not a movie.

CAVUTO: So, are you offended by that?

CAIN: No, I’m not offended by it. I just, I just think that it is sad that they’re so short-sighted in really understanding what the whole Tea Party citizen movement is all about. I’m not offended by it, because it doesn’t slow down my momentum. It doesn’t slow down the reaction that I get from people. They know that I bring my message from the heart and the head, and they’re responding to it. So, name calling is something that’s going to continue in this because they don’t know how to stop this movement. And this movement is making a big difference in politics, because a lot of the traditional Democrats are moving to the center or moving over to vote for conservatives. They’re taking another look at a Herman Cain.

Of course, Cain can afford to be a little magnanimous after surprising everyone by winning the P5 poll yesterday — and not just winning, but blowing out the rest of the field. Rick Perry had campaigned hard and personally but could only get 15% for a 22-points-back second place, and less than two points ahead of Mitt Romney, who didn’t campaign for the straw poll. The P5 straw poll only had a small level of participation, but that’s something that usually plays into the hands of Ron Paul, not Herman Cain. Had Perry won this event, it wouldn’t have been terribly big news, but to have Cain leap out of the second tier to crush his opponents while not usually being known as an organizer for these kind of events makes this more significant.

After Thursday’s debate, a lot of people thought Rick Santorum had seized the momentum, but I figured that Cain had made a much bigger splash. Santorum came in a distant fourth in the straw poll, while Michele Bachmann — who didn’t have a bad debate — came in dead last behind Jon Huntsman. This momentum may not last for Cain, but he’s making the case that he could win the nomination, and that might be the biggest hurdle to getting donors and supporters to line up behind him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Love me some Herman Cain. He’s absolutely right – people who attack the Tea Party for being racist or Nazis are just mindlessly slinging insults. Ann Coulter pegged it right when she pointed out that Liberals work off of mob rules – their arguments are often conflicting if you think about them, but thought isn’t something that goes into Liberal attacks.

hawksruleva on September 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I have attended several Mississippi Tea Party events held about an hour from Morgan Freeman’s home in Clarksdale, MS. He might be surprised to learn that not all Mississippi blacks agree with him. In fact, I have yet to attend a Tea Party event in Mississippi that did not include black speakers and black attendees.

See how the times have changed? Jerry Lee Lewis didn’t have anything on Morgan Freeman.
adamsmith on September 26, 2011 at 7:51 AM

O.T. A few weeks ago I drove past Jerry Lee’s house and he was sitting on the porch in shiny orange pajamas. His face has gotten puffy making him look like an old lesbian.

And FWIW, both Morgan Freeman and Herman Cain were born in Memphis. And Jerry Lee lives about ten miles from Memphis.

flyfisher on September 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Speaking of race, Delroy Murdock wrote a good piece for the National Review which was critical of Obama. No surprise there, Murdock is conservative. Also not a surprise, the article had nothing to do with Murdock’s race nor the President’s. Here’s how Drudge linked to it:

BLACK JOURNALIST CALLS OUT OBAMA

YYZ on September 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Entertainers wrongly assume that their fame, money, and influence arise from broad knowledge rather than natural talent, looks, or mastery of a narrow skill. – Victor Davis Hanson

jcrue on September 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I was supporting Cain all the way back in February.

He stumbled over some of his “muslim” remarks, which I thought had taken him out of contention. He has recovered nicely so far although I’m not sure he can win the nomination.

Yesterdays win in the Florida straw poll was big boost and hopefully the rest of the country will take a second look.

Run Herman Run!

I’m with you Knuck.. I was a BIG-TIME cain supporter early on, and I was worried about how bad he was going to get lambasted over his “loyalty test” comments, but when Newt basically said the same thing, I really really thought people would turn around and take a second look at Cain.

Now I will say I do have one concern.. we’ve had one “businessman” president in our history, and it didnt go so well back then.. (But then again,it’s a completely different time period).

DaSaintFan on September 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Im not offended by ignorance. I’m offended by liberals projecting their racist views onto Conservatives…or anyone who opposes them.
Morgan will not be seeing one penny of my money ever again.

Hard Right on September 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I disagree with Cain with this point. Freeman (as well as others) honestly believes the Tea Party motive against Obama is racist.

Their thinking on this is irrational and they don’t want to consider other options.

shick on September 26, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Shick, it’s racism. Plain and simple. White people that disagree with what obama is doing? It must be racism!
That right there tells me all about Freeman and his views on race.

Hard Right on September 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM

or a creepy old man that started screwing his granddaughter when she was 17-1/2.

rayra on September 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Lucky I searched the thread. I just heard of it, and can’t believe it hasn’t been part of this story all along.

People, Morgan Freeman just divorced his wife, to he can go off and marry his granddaughter. And this is the absolute perverted garbage throwing stones?!

What is the Hollywood term for going beyond Full Retard. There’s pissing off half your audience, then there’s pissing off half your audience, while bringing attention to yourself because you’re f***ing your granddaughter!

Muhammad H Prophet what a bottom feeder this guy turned out to be.

MNHawk on September 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM

My birthday was Sunday and I got my last 2 wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, so I’m a little behind here.

All the news about Cain is very heartening.

The most important thing about Cain to remember is that there is a plurality of support for him. No one hates him.

He is the first or second choice of most Republican, Conservative and conservative leaning Independents. And he is liked and acceptable to most of the others. Someone few would simply be holding their noses for. Someone we can all be proud of.

No other GOP candidate (declared or undeclared) fits that bill.

PS Hope my comments aren’t stupider than usual now that I don’t have those teeth. lol

Elisa on September 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM