Romney: If you oppose illegal immigration, it means you have a heart and a brain

posted at 5:25 pm on September 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

At the Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando today, Mitt Romney responded to Rick Perry’s intellectually lazy argument for the Texas DREAM Act with an easy quip.

The former Massachusetts governor responded to Perry’s assertion during Thursday’s GOP presidential debate that those who disagree with providing in-state tuition to the children of illegal immigrants lack a heart.

“My friend Gov. Perry said if you don’t agree with his position on giving that in-state tuition to illegals, that you don’t have a heart,” Romney said at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando. “I think if you’re opposed to illegal immigration, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have a heart. It means that you have a heart and a brain.”

Perry passed a state-based DREAM Act in Texas, which allowed children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates, a decision he defended Thursday.

Perry’s best defense of his in-state-tuition-for-illegals law is to remind voters that it was a state-level decision, implemented in a state that has to tackle the practical fallout from illegal immigration in a way a state like Massachusetts simply doesn’t. (As a reminder, Texas has ten times the number of illegals as Massachusetts.) Texas DREAM primarily affected the state budget of Texas and Texas taxpayers — and, presumably, Texan voters supported it at least indirectly by electing a state legislature that passed it. Offering in-state tuition doesn’t explicitly erode the rule of law as, say, amnesty for illegals would. If a state wanted to offer in-state tuition to international students, it could. If  a state wanted to offer a flat tuition rate to all students,  it could. Yes, as Rick Santorum pointed out last night, in-state tuition does nothing to discourage illegal immigration — but that’s not what such a law is designed to do in the first place. It’s designed to incentivize college enrollment (and, presumably, graduation). Whether that’s advisable is certainly debatable, but Perry’s support for Texas DREAM need not cost him the support of those who are strongly opposed to amnesty for illegal immigrants or who strongly support — as Perry puts it — “more boots on the ground” to secure our borders. In other words, Perry should reassure voters he’s not squishy on border security nor does he favor amnesty for illegals — and deflect attention from the Texas DREAM Act as much as possible, not call attention to it with self-righteous pronouncements.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It seems that you are who you always were, since the first day on HA, a RINO.

Schadenfreude on September 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Ouch, but yes.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Ouch? I don’t think so. I am doing just fine.

It goes without saying that people get pissy when their guy screws up and so they feel the need to lash out at others. It is sad really. They blame Rinos, the media..etc.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Up on Drudge:

Chris Christie contemplating a run now…..

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM
That guy might be to the left of Obama

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Christie:
Amnesty AND he wants to take your guns. No thank you.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Chris Christie contemplating a run now…..

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Wonderful. He makes both Perry and Romney look like Goldwater.

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Rational Thought on September 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I don’t think Perry is going to do any of those things either.

sharrukin on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

But if you’re Mitt Romney it means you’re an opportunistic moron. Next.

Eren on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

And he hates puppy dogs.

MJBrutus on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Up on Drudge:

Chris Christie contemplating a run now…..

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM

He’s a liberal…and he apparently thinks that is just what the Republican electorate has been pining for.

Rational Thought on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Ouch? I don’t think so. I am doing just fine.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Sorry, I have to go with the previous assessment. You defended McCain to the bitter, ugly, suspended and fight with me failure end. You shouldn’t really throw stones at glass houses.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Ah, the daily Tina shill for Perry. I almost thought you’d given up on it.

mythicknight on September 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Unfortunately, there are a lot of brainless fools out there.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

52% of voters last election….

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Sort of like the people with the Obama ’12 bumper sticker next to the Endless this War

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

My comment at 5:49pm was not intended to be crossed out.
bayview on September 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Trying to beat some dimwit who thinks he is being novel and clever by doing that and then adding “FIFY”?

whatcat on September 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM
And he hates puppy dogs.

MJBrutus on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Don’t throw your filth my way. I hear you kos kids eat kittens.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Christie:
Amnesty AND he wants to take your guns. No thank you.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Don’t forget his support for the GZ mosque, refusal to join in the Obamacare lawsuit, nomination of a radical Islamist judge to the NJ supreme court and support of cap and trade/global warming. I’m sure there’s more, but this is the Reader’s Digest version.

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

carbon_footprint on September 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM

She’s not strong on immigration either.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

You know, none of them are. Seriously. If we could have a candidate come out, and make us believe he/she would make the borders secure and THEN FOLLOW UP, it would be a miracle. After all, it is the Federal Government’s responsibility to secure our borders, not the States’. I wish our Federal Government would get out of the healthcare business and do what they are mandated by the constitution to do.

carbon_footprint on September 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Yes she is and the one thing about Palin is that she always
does what she says she is going to do. Check out her record.
Its so astonishing that I didn’t believe it for almost two
years; I was at 90%; then they investigated her 24,000 emails
and now I am a 100% believer. You can count on her. Now,
she is too smart to say that we are going to line up 12 million
illegals at El Paso, Nogales and Tijuana and march them on home. She knows that that process would not be doable or practical.
She stated that there needs to be conditions and a path to citizenship for some; others should go home. She will listen
to all the opinions on both sides and make a decision that makes
sense. I don’t see Perry, Romney, etc. (The Seven Plus Dwarfs)
doing that.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I’d rather have Guiliani than Christie for my “rino.”At least I know Rudy is tough on something….

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

.Perry has not only changed his positions, he has changed parties.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I stopped reading right there. That dog don’t hunt.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM

How intolerant of you. Yes, I know Reagan changed parties..but Perry is no Reagan. He did not change parties out of conviction like Reagan, he changed parties out of calculation. That is how I feel. He reminds me of Bill Clinton more than Reagan.

When it was Bush v Reagan, I guess Terrye was more of a Bush guy.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

No, I was not.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Hey I hear Christie is really tough on office chairs.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

LOL

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

No, I was not.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Sure, uh huh

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Si. I used to get mad, now I just pity them and keep a distance…they are probably too stupid to know the difference between the gas pedal and the brake.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Hey I hear Christie is really tough on office chairs.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

jinx

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hey I hear Christie is really tough on office chairs.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Blaaaaarrrrrgggg.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Keep your distance but throw some condoms their way!

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

You are KILLING me!

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Christie is tough on belts, also

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Blaaaaarrrrrgggg.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Sound Effects for the Chair?

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I defended McCain, because I wanted him to win and beat Obama and keep that freaking disaster Barack Obama out of office. If that bothers you….fine with me.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Team Romney is beating up on Perry..I understand that and don’t blame them..It is Politics..Team Perry would/will do the same thing..Kinda that Shark in the water thing..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Christie is tough on belts, also

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Obama must’ve been thinking “Who needs Michelle anyway?”

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

So if Christie gets in, who does this hurt? I would think Romney as they split the RINO vote.

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Nothing to do with anyone’s “guy or girl”. None own any. There are no good ones in the race.

Your record here is pretty clear. 2008 is not so far behind either. I’ve watched enough of your whinings and accusations, some against very good ones on this board.

Schadenfreude on September 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM

LOL.

A paroled killer’s “Obama” bumper sticker was the break that helped cops nab the man accused of the cold-blooded murder of a Tedeschi’s convenience store clerk, jurors in Edward Corliss’ murder trial learned yesterday.

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

You got it. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen sort of thing…

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

That might be fine … until after McCain was whooped and it became obvious his only intentions were to cling to his Senate seat until Cindy had to have him locked up.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Yesterday Romney said: “I Hope Palin does run.”

Today Perry can say: “I hope Christie does run.”

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Probably Perry, too.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

You got it. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen sort of thing…

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Bingo..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Romney has not changed his positions anymore than Rick Perry has over the years..Perry has not only changed his positions, he has changed parties.

That’s basically inaccurate. Romney has changed positions on every substantive issue important to Conservatives. Perry, if you look at his career, has rarely changed positions. He did change parties, but was always pretty down the line Conservative.

But the difference here is that when you are giving in state tuition to illegals you are actually encouraging them to cross an international border illegally.

No. That’s completely wrong. Poor people from Mexico or any other country aren’t looking to pay 20K a year for four years at a state college in Texas that can be had for FREE in Mexico. They are looking for some way to get ahead in life. And besides, its not an instantly realizable attraction either, like getting free health care.

Romney can claim states rights over Romneycare easier because Mass did not encourage the breaking of federal laws..and besides, Romney had a legislature pushing for health care law just like Perry had a legislature pushing for help for illegals.

Total baloney. The State of Mass. does have the right to do what it wants with healthcare in that state. We object to Romney’s instincts about how to handle large problems. He chose the path of making the state government more powerful and intrusive in the lives of its residents. Likely, that’s always the way his instincts will go. And, Romneycare is horrible for Mass. residents. By contrast, the Texas Dream Act is a reasonable, very measured approach and is good for the state of Texas.

No point in making excuses for Perry if you are going to go after Romney.. It seems to me that it is something of a draw.

Terrye on September 23, 2011

Well I disagree with that. Romeny is a long-established RINO flip-flopper with a long train of abuses to prove it. Perry has a couple dings on his record, but they aren’t huge deal breakers in the manner of Romney.

JonPrichard on September 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Kind of like Mittens being pro-choice before he was pro-life? And socialized medicine before he was against it?

And I so love it that Mittens admires Arne Duncun, head of King Barry’s Department of Education, that comment all but disappeared in the hype over Perry’s poor performance last night.

Arne Duncan? Seriously?

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

IF Perry enters (and I mean, come on, really?), then it seems to open the doors up for a second string of candidates … ahem, SP???

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Pffttt… ^ Perry with Christie. Sorry.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM

So if I move to Texas I pay high rates for college than somebody who snuck across the border?

I don’t see any issue here, nope nothing at all. Seems perfectly fair.

WitchDoctor on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Arne Duncan? Seriously?

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Arne wanted to segregate gays into their own schools. How progressive.

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Now let’s see if Team Perry can come back..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Yes, he poses no challenge to more conservative candidates…

I’ve never understood why the “establishment” was pushing him forward — are they that out of tune with the sentiments of the voters?

As Palin (and now Bachmann) have said this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to swing the pendulum way to the right… and that’s what voters want. They don’t trust ANY politician, so the less government, the better…

OnlyOrange on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Arne Duncan? Seriously?

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Romney is through and through a leftwing Republican masquerading as a “conservative.” I’d sooner support Scott Brown.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Says the guy who had illegal immigrants working at his house.

El_Terrible on September 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Both of these guys are losers.

tetriskid on September 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM

This.

Why are we allowing the media, apparently including Fox News, choose our nominee again?

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Lots of time. No need to panic just yet. Waiting for the pink elephant/800 lb gorilla (depending on your POV) to make a decision and there’s still Guliani (sp?) and possibly Christie or who knows. Even Cain or Gingrich could continue to do well.

Relax!

kim roy on September 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Good analogy — IMO, Romney is just a more experienced, more polished Scott Brown. Moderate by New England standards, fairly liberal by any other standard…

OnlyOrange on September 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

That’s why I say if I have to vote for a rino it might as well be someone like Rudy because you know where he stands.Hopefully I don’t have to do that…

sandee on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

They blame Rinos, the media..etc.

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

The “RINO” word is just the mating call of the Common Right-Winged Loon. Pay it no attention.

MJBrutus on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Probably Perry, too.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

If Perry had some stellar performances, he’d probably be more insulated. But just as Perry’s positions have come to light, Christie’s will also. And as much as I rant about Perry’s immigration issues, I’ll take Perry over Christie any day. H*ll, I think I’d take Ron Paul over Christie.

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

The Internal polling folks today are earning their money..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I don’t understand why Perry didn’t pound Mittens today on the Arne Duncan crap. Seriously that dude even came out and lied about the schools in Texas a couple weeks ago and Mittens basically thinks he’s a swell guy.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I think you mean “If Christie enters” -

anyways, as I said previously, Palin can sit back down and sip
her decaf Chai Latte and wait for Christie to implode – and I
predict it won’t take long. He will lose it when someone
strongly criticises him. He will puff up and his face will get
red – then he will starting point fingers and yelling.

I smell the repub estab at work – another ABP candidate.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I don’t see any issue here, nope nothing at all. Seems perfectly fair.

WitchDoctor on September 23, 2011

No. If you move to Texas and live there for three years then you get instate tuition. Those rules apply to everybody.

JonPrichard on September 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Perry is not showing great debating skills to say the least..This needs to be addressed by Team Perry..Either hire a debate coach or fire the one Perry has now..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I knew it! Palin can sit back down and relax for a bit.
This guy will really implode – OMG! Spiraling out of control.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

This was way funny.

Yesterday Romney said: “I Hope Palin does run.”

portlandon on September 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Today Romney “Holy sh*t, didn’t think of that”.

Schadenfreude on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

MJBrutus on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM

MJ, you are almost correct, but I wouldn’t consider you a Common Right-Winged Loon.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

As someone who lived and taught in Texas, I share the view of many in that state. We would like to see our borders secured. That has not happened and as a result, Texas (and many border states) have a large illegal immigrant population. The choice becomes do we educate the children or allow them to remain uneducated and possibly easy recruitment for drugs and gangs? By encouraging these teenagers to graduate high school and go to college we attempt to circumvent further societal ills.

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Knucklehead on September 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I guess Team Perry better start getting their act together.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Obama is not a socialist as in the form of government of the Europeans. Obama is a reparationist. He believes the descendants of the former slaves in America have not been given their fair share of the American Pie. His model is socialism. To call Obama a socialist is to remove the true motivation behind his ‘fundamental change’ for America. He is not concerned about the gun toting bible clingers in the white middle class. But he is dependent on the race card to garner white guilt to support his vision. He truly believe he has been destined to remake America into what he believes it ‘ought’ to have been at the founding. His white mother from Kansas and his African father from Kenya have put him on this road to his destiny. Remember “The One” they have been waiting for … as Oprah called him.

It all goes back to slavery … bottom line.

Texas Gal on September 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

What do you say to the out of state student that comes to Texas and has to pay more than the illegal? What about the international student that will pay 3x what the illegal did even though they legally entered the country and have to jump through hoops to get their visas (and renew them)?

Societal ills? Societal injustice? Hmmm…

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I agree..But It also shows what a force a experienced and well funded political team can be in a big election..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Most Texans would tell you debating is not his forte. His strength is the retail side, shaking hands, working a room, etc. However, these debates, whether they’re fair or not, are snapshots of who they are and how they handle pressure. You would think his team would have been having mock debates, the whole nine yards, to get him up to speed. TPaw paid the price of making one critical mistake in the first debate. Rick, we ain’t in Texas anymore.

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Best one of the day! Ha!

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Good point..See my above post..Running for POTUS is not easy..But then if you think about it..It should not be easy..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

You were almost as bad as unseen on Palin. We all wanted obama out, but some of us just weren’t as overzealous as you for our support of someone that thumbed their nose and CONSIDERED CHANGING PARTIES TO RUN WITH JOHN KERRY IN 2004.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Paying out-of-state tuition makes them join a gang? That’s how your brain works?

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM

That reminds me of the Tom Hanks’ line in a League of Their Own talking about baseball. To paraphrase, “It’s supposed to be hard. It’s the hard that makes it great.”

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM

JonPrichard on September 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

No it is not…

Who Benefited from Job Growth In Texas?
A Look at Employment Gains for Immigrants and the Native-Born, 2007 to 2011

Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).

In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data show that more than three-fourths of net job growth in Texas were taken by newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).

The large share of job growth that went to immigrants is surprising because the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas’ working-age population (16 to 65). Thus, even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants.

The share of working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly, from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state’s job growth.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimate that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus, about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.

Immigrants took jobs across the educational distribution. More than one out three (97,000) of newly arrived immigrants who took a job had at least some college.

equanimous on September 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Unless TX tuition is like $5, I’m pretty sure that only the “well-off” illegals will take advantage of this cheaper education.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Now that’s not fair. Christie is tough on unions and his office chair.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Ann Coulter is on the phone and wants a word with you..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Perry is not too smart. I initially presumed his lackluster college grades were due to too much fun and partying his freshman year (something that I know very well about), but I’ve decided after watching these debates, he just might be better at glad-handing than actual serious thought and study.

Tharn on September 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

If they want to go to college they can walk across the border
to Mexico.

If they are recruited into gangs, sell drugs, etc. then deport
them.

What about not on my tax dollar do you not understand? These
freebies cost money. My grandmother’s care is being reduced
so these illegals can have the American Dream. My grandmother
paid into the system for years; now is in panic that her meager
social security check will be reduced (it already has been)
and medicare benefits cut (it already has been).

You are going to take our tax dollars and pay for some illegal
kids housing, food, clothing, cell phones, cheese, medical,
in state tuition, etc. while my grandmother’s standard of living
is reduced?

I don’t think so. Americans are waking up to what is going on.
And we will fight people like you until our last breath.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM

+ 100..Great point!..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

TxAnn56 on September 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM

His stance on illegals is the same as Perry’s, but I’m not sure how that will impact the dynamics of the race.
From last year on HA:
Chris Christie on immigration

whatcat on September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Ann Coulter is on the phone and wants a word with you..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Good. I gotta set her straight.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

ROFL..That should be interesting!!..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Perry was on Hannity’s radio program today and, according to Ace, he did much better in this issue. Now, if he could just do better in the actual debates…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Good. I gotta set her straight.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I have some pies

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I thought it was all those free tattoos they got while in jail….or having a ‘dance partner’ every night.
Yes, the good feelings just seem to make people lose their freaking minds.
Help our children first. Let their own countries help them..we are not an ATM or an EBT card.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I have some pies

faraway on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Nope. I respect Ann, but she needs to wake up about this one.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM

What about not on my tax dollar do you not understand? These
freebies cost money. My grandmother’s care is being reduced
so these illegals can have the American Dream. My grandmother
paid into the system for years; now is in panic that her meager
social security check will be reduced (it already has been)
and medicare benefits cut (it already has been).

You are going to take our tax dollars and pay for some illegal
kids housing, food, clothing, cell phones, cheese, medical,
in state tuition, etc. while my grandmother’s standard of living
is reduced?

I don’t think so. Americans are waking up to what is going on.
And we will fight people like you until our last breath.

Amjean on September 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

This.
The gubmint cheese is getting moldy. Go home.

HornetSting on September 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Aslans Girl on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Perry did give much better answer..BUT to be honest he has to do that in debates..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:40 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I heard it – pretty much a rehash of what he’s said at the debates, nothing new and really nothing helpful to his case. Even if he knew how to communicate well, he would still have a problem because people reject his overall position on illegals. Would be like thinking that a revamped ad campaign would’ve helped “New Coke”.

whatcat on September 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Romney opposes giving illegal kids cheap college.

But he’s OK with giving illegals free health insurance.

Yea, a MUCH better choice.

angryed on September 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I haven’t changed my mind, mostly because I agree with the bulk of his positions (yes, even with regards to in-state tuition and Gardasil). I think his views will play well in the electorate as a whole, as well, but there is no way he is making it to the general election if he doesn’t fix himself, quick! He needs to realize he’s in the big time now. His flippancy towards the process ain’t gonna work out there.

And seriously, I am with Allah, we have got to get some better debate questions!!

XWing5 on September 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I have some questions. Are these better? :)

You agree that students who don’t prove their American citizenship should receive a better deal on college tuition in TX than legitimate American citizens from other states – would you say that your position is a pro-American one, or an un-American one?

You say you agree with Perry on Gardasil. Which position – the EO opt-out one, in which he said opponents of it weren’t on the side of life, or his recent one, in which he says he should have gone with an opt-in program in the first place, which means that according to himself, he’s now not on the side of life?

If you believe that Perry was right to go the opt-out route, what do you think about him now for changing his tune – do you believe Perry honestly thinks he was wrong to go the opt-out route, or do you believe he said that only because he viewed it as the politically wisest maneuver for himself to make?

Bizarro No. 1 on September 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM

texabama on September 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

How about they leave with their parents? They can get their education in Mexico or whereever they come from.

If we removed incentives for coming and staying here they would self deport.

darwin on September 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Sheesh, only a few comments into this thread and we get…

Meanwhile, here‘s Mitt Romney calling for amnesty in 2005. And reaffirming that position more recently.
amerpundit on September 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Nice try! To coin a phrase. That is a gross misrepresentation of what he said in 2005. As he noted in the Tim Russert interview (2008 interview is recent?) he said that while they were all “reasonable” plans they weren’t his plan. He then provided his propals to what has been an heretofore insolvable problem, and they did not include in-state tuition rates. Indeed his plan expressly prohibited any special benefits, so there is nothing contradictory about his position.

If you don’t call Obama a socialist, you are a RINO and a weasel, a panderer to the indies and the left, not to speak of being an eunuch.
Schadenfreude on September 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Oh please! There is no one who has been a bigger critic of Obama/Ayers/Wright/Frank, the whole Marxist circle of friends who have shaped O’s ideology. However what I say at as a commenter at a blog and what a Presidential candidate can say is entirely different. As I noted this morning, the very definition of “Socialist” is in dispute. It’s a huge can of worms and there is no benefit to anyone in opening that can. Clearly, Romney would work to dismantle whatever O has done to turn America into a Euro Dem Socialist country (on the domestic and foreign policy front).

Buy Danish on September 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM

propals=proposals…

Buy Danish on September 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

If we removed incentives for coming and staying here they would self deport.

darwin on September 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Since we’re talking Christ Christie……

…..let’s talk Palin (Bristol).

this article leaves off the fact that the guy yelled out the profanity at her first.

THIS is what Palin faces………have any of the GOP faced similar (besides the Glitterati)?

Oh, and Bristol……..you probably shouldn’t be in that WeHo bar.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I have no idea. It’s such a simple solution.

darwin on September 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Buy Danish on September 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Romney did show a “fire” last night that I haven’t seen from him in the debates..He made a good showing..:)

Dire Straits on September 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

We need to make it so illegals don’t want to come and for those here to leave. We don’t have to deport them all.

Can we all stop pretending though that for Romney to be anti-illegal immigration is not much easier in Mass. than for Perry in Texas. You can flip that around for Romneycare in Mass. vs. Texas as well.

If we removed incentives for coming and staying here they would self deport.

darwin on September 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Yep

CW on September 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Texas may be a red state, but we have more than our share of RINOs in the legislature and always have. The absolute worst one is the speaker of the house who keeps getting elected speaker by promising the Dems he won’t bring legislation they don’t like up for a vote. Perry has an easy out on this thing, but he chose not to use it. He doubled down instead.

stvnscott on September 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM

As to the instate tuition rates for children of illegals: ‘The regulations in Texas regarding instate tuition are the same for everyone, from any state or country. If you are a resident of Texas for three years and/or graduated High School from a Texas HS, you qualify for instate tuition rates. That’s the same for a kid from Kentucky or someone who’s parents brought him here illegally. This is not a subsidy at all. And, this is not an Immigration issue. The states don’t actually have a direct hand in that. Its an education issue. We want all of Texas residents educated as much as possible so they don’t end up without any way to be productive and maybe on the wrong side of the law.

These answers were straight replies to Hannity’s questions and they made sense. Hopefully he can find a nother gear and move his game up ten notches in debates.

JonPrichard on September 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM

As long as this country continues to twist itself in knots to justify and allow lawbreakers to get away with, well, breaking the law, we will continue to circle the drain. Most reasonable people think it’s unreasonable to reward bad behavior. Allowing ILLEGAL ALIENS who have apparently broken the law for 3 years – long enough to attain residency – and graduated ILLEGALLY from a state funded school is rewarding bad behavior. Fine, so they’re “kids” whose parents cheated to be in this country illegally. As long as we reward the “innocent” children, the parents will continue to drag them over the boarder. It is forcing amnesty down our throats while trying to make us feel despicable if we don’t care about the innocent children. Balderdash!! The fact that Perry is trying to tell me I don’t have a heart because I feel my country has been invaded and that people such as himself pander to the very constituency that condones breaking our laws, ticks me off beyond words. You can explain it every which way you want; but, the bottom line is, illegal aliens are illegal. Period. The sooner they are treated as such, the sooner many of our country’s ills will be eliminated.

greeneyedconservative on September 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Oh, and Bristol……..you probably shouldn’t be in that WeHo bar.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I saw the video. The guy was vile.

MeatHeadinCA on September 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Wow. I. Am. Sooooo. Shocked.

Mitt saying something conservative at an opportune time?

I. Just. Don’t. Believe. It.

No, really, I don’t.