Video: Bolton on UN legitimacy at the Durban Watch conference

posted at 12:45 pm on September 22, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I’m spending today at the Durban Watch conference, put on by the Hudson Institute and Touro College in opposition to the UN’s celebration of the 10-year anniversary of the Durban statement — and the efforts by the Palestinians to get the UN to recognize a Palestinian state. There have already been some terrific speeches. Alan Dershowitz set the room on fire, while Elie Wiesel spoke to the soul of the world. John Bolton gave a powerful speech as well, and I’ll have both the Bolton and Wiesel speeches later today on video. After the first set of speeches, Bolton, Wiesel, Dore Gold, and actor Jon Voight met with the press,and Bolton gave an interesting answer to a question about UN’s legitimacy:

I like the idea of the “remarkably concentrating effect” the elimination of mandatory funding would bring.  If that doesn’t work, then perhaps Congress can make a change that will demonstrate exactly how that works.  I’ve also included another question to Bolton, whose answer makes clear that the efforts to have the UN General Assembly recognize the Palestinians as a sovereign state have no actual legal weight, even if successful.  The point isn’t legality, though — it’s political, which relates to Bolton’s first answer.

I’m covering Durban Watch mainly on my Twitter feed. Be sure to follow me to keep up with the best quotes and developments.

Comments

If you meet Bolton and Voight….

I admit it, I would totally be jealous!

upinak on September 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM

upinak on September 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I agree, I love them both!
L

letget on September 22, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Treat it like ilf Disneyland request this….don’t give it dignity

Love bolton….

cmsinaz on September 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I thought that guy in the right corner looked suspiciously like Jon Voight.

RDE2010 on September 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Dinnerjacket is now talking Holocaust denial and 9/11 Trutherism. Delegations are walking out.

amerpundit on September 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I think that The United States, at this historically high point in profligacy and corruption, should not lecture the rest of the world to be like us fiscally and ethically. However, that shouldn’t stand in the way of defunding our contributions to the UN.

Old Country Boy on September 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Scooter has to decide how bad he wants to pander to the American Jewish voter as opposed to his overwhelming need to support the Islamic world in foreign policy. Delightful to know he set the stage for this himself when he projected a Palestinian state a year ago.

a capella on September 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I wish Bolton threw his hat into the ring…

… just so the Country could hear him in the debates.

Seven Percent Solution on September 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

a capella on September 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

It sure is…

Seven Percent Solution on September 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I wish Bolton threw his hat into the ring…

… just so the Country could hear him in the debates.

Seven Percent Solution on September 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Me too.

itsacookbook on September 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’m just getting around to reading Bolton’s Surrender Is Not an Option and it just reinforces the view that Bolton has a better handle on things UN than just about anyone. Why we continue to put up with, much less subsidize, this enclave of anti-Americanism on our soil is an abiding mystery.

Voiceguy on September 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Glad you’re there to report this for us, Ed. Bolton’s remarks are spot-on. I really hope he gets used in the Republican administration we will surely have starting in January 2013.

Keep ‘em coming.

J.E. Dyer on September 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

and actor Jon Voight

a serious conference, this.

sesquipedalian on September 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM

If you give it dignity it will acquire dignity.

Speakup on September 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Bolton for Secretary of State in the next administration, regardless of which Republican wins.

irishspy on September 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Ed – will you also be having the Dershowitz speech? If he “set the room on fire” it would be a great thing to see/hear.

Thanks.