Gear Up! It’s Debate Night!

posted at 12:05 pm on September 22, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Just in case you, like me, are afraid tonight will be the same ol’ show we’ve seen the last two rounds, here’s a little something to get you energized for tonight — a behind-the-scenes sneak peek with Bret Baier:

Best news of the video: Not only will a dream team of moderators host the debate (Baier, Chris Wallace and Megyn Kelly), but they’ll also be taking outside questions. We saw that the CNN/Tea Party Express debate format generated some unlikely-to-otherwise-be-asked inquiries, and it seems the format for tonight’s debate might do the same. As a result, could it be we just might hear a candidate actually mention the phrase “Fast and Furious”? A few other words the GOP hopefuls might want to toss into their talk: Solyndra, LightSquared, CLASS Act, etc.

Michele Bachmann’s brave mention of Merck in the last debate and Mitt Romney’s recent e-mail castigating Rick Perry as “Governor SubZero” are impressive zingers, no doubt, but the time for Perry pile-ons is past. Not because Perry doesn’t need to learn to deflect attacks and not because he doesn’t need to learn to sling them (on both counts, he desperately does!), but because now is a prime time for the Republican candidates to truly weaken the reelection effort Obama has begun in earnest. Nothing clouds a campaign like a prepped-for-punch-lines scandal or two.

But at the same time that the candidates need to hit the president where it hurts, they also need to do what the president conspicuously has not done lately. They need to appeal to Americans’ pride, instead of Americans’ class envy. Some positive pep talk about the American entrepreneurial spirit, irrepressible work ethic and whole-hearted embrace of freedom would be much appreciated. Remind us that we don’t want to tax millionaires and billionaires; we want to be millionaires and billionaires — or, if we don’t, we want to live humbly in peace, unperturbed by government intrusion into every last aspect of our lives. Remind us that we don’t want handouts; we want a chance to earn success, to pursue happiness with every ounce of energy, creativity and discipline we’ve got. Remind us that we will find solutions not in the government, but in ourselves. The American people are starved for that message.

Conservatives have begun to rest comfortably in the president’s low approval numbers, but widespread disapproval of the president will hardly help the Republican candidate if that candidate’s approval numbers are also low. What turns voters out on Election Day? Disapproval of the incumbent might keep a few folks home. If it’s strong enough, as we saw in 2010, it might send a few more folks to vote for the opposite candidate. But it’ll hardly turn voters out in the same numbers that enthusiasm and the actual desire to see a candidate assume the presidency would. It’s time for the GOP candidates to stop playing small ball and start proving themselves presidential. Just be themselves. If one of those candidates on the stage is the next president of the United States, the American people will see it. With a few disastrous exceptions, we’ve shown ourselves to have a talent for picking able leaders. We’ll do it again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good Lord man….Ron Paul is on that stage…..NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO SEE THAT!!
Tim_CA on September 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

No fool! The costumes, not real stripped down outfits! LOL!

However, in lieu of this, I would agree to see a three way oil wrestling match between Julie Banderos, Dana Perino and Martha MacCallum…

Mr_Magoo on September 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I called her a liar. You said, “prove it.” I did.
Now you’re playing little Dan Rather. “It’s fake but accurate!”
MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

And I said that the “HPV/retardation” little toad, wasn’t what I was talking about.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You keep proving my case….thank-you.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

You are welcome. Go Bachman and bless your heart.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

It was what I was talking about when I called her a liar. And you argued with my post. Go play your belligerent games with some one else.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

sarahpac teases palin 2012 decision….

this will not bode well if she says no…

cmsinaz on September 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM

When she called it a “real concern” she was lying. She knew that she hadn’t done any fact finding. The article shows that if she had she would have known it was a bogus concern.
MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

That sounds more like being sloppy, lazy, and gullible than being deceptive.

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Note to Perry: Don’t suck.

lorien1973 on September 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

That sounds more like being sloppy, lazy, and gullible than being deceptive.

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Y’all stop pickin’ on the one. tencole says so!

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I’m no mind reader, so I’m not going to play one on the internet. What I do know is that she smeared Perry with an attack that she did not know to be true. You can believe it was stupidity or laziness or whatever. I think it was too good for her to check her facts and that falls in to the category of malice in my book.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM

She’s cute, but not real bright.

faraway on September 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Cute, bright and snotty as Hell.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You can always attack the president but first you have to beat Governor Sub-Zero. The Pink Cowboy can’t hide behind Fox News, Rush Limbaugh or the rest of the corrupted conservative media, not forever.

Falz on September 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Y’all stop pickin’ on the one. tencole says so!

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Must protect Perry, no matter the cost….

idesign on September 22, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Obama is the luckiet dummy destroyer in the world.

DOW over 400 down, jobs and all other in national Starnesville and the right eat each others’ livers, live, on TV.

The land deserves him fully, from all sides.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Evidence indicates that she talks before she thinks, and is less than thurough about researching topics. I find it totally believable that she googled the topic, read a couple of anti-vaccination pages, and was completely taken in by the emotional anecdotes without ever going deep enough to find real scientific data.
Frankly, I think I’d rather have a lier as POTUS.

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Must protect PerryTexas, no matter the costagainst stupid attacks….

idesign on September 22, 2011 at 1:53 PM

That is my mission. And every time you make up something stupid to go after our governor, you attack Texas.
I myself have told of Perry’s problems. I know what they are.

You, and your ilk…not so much.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Must protect Perry, no matter the cost….
idesign on September 22, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Seriously, what does this have to do with Perry anymore?

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM

No fool! The costumes, not real stripped down outfits! LOL!

Mr_Magoo on September 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Thank God…..still trying to get that image out of my mind.

Tim_CA on September 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Now why would I want to go anywhere else, when you are so much fun.

Again, changing the subject so as not to have to confront the “crony capitalism” and “political favoritism” charges.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Seriously, what does this have to do with Perry anymore?

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Come on, Count…it has everything to do with him. He must be destroyed to clear the path.

The next 3 weeks will be bloody and tearful around here.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM

You are absolutely right! You win the top prize, a second Obama term.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM

You changed the subject. The subject was that she is a liar. You made it in to something else.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

The next 3 weeks will be bloody and tearful around here.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Wait a minute, I thought it would be over by the end of this month?

What’s that? A week and a day?

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

No fool! The costumes, not real stripped down outfits! LOL!
Mr_Magoo on September 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Thank God…..still trying to get that image out of my mind.
Tim_CA on September 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Getting back to the sumo wrestling, is that the only way Newt could win?

Count to 10 on September 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Give or take 3 weeks…

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I never changed the subject.
The “crony capitalism” and “political favoritism” charges and your lack to confront them was MY subject.

I don’t deny that MB’s “HPV/retardation” charges are ludicrous and just one more toad MB tends to croak.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:21 PM

You are absolutely right! You win the top prize, a second Obama term.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Listen….all I’m saying is if you want people to vote for Perry, these charges need to be answered to…..you all ignoring them and calling me names ain’t getting me on board.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Look I am for Perry.
He will eliminate obamacare and remove ignorant regulations.
As a small business owner, this is what it is going to take to get this country working again.
The other positions he holds are not on my radar right now. Putting food on the table is my top priority.
Period.

Having said that, if Romney, Bachman or my frikken dog gets nominated I will work my ass off for them.
Because the alternative, another four years of obama, is going to put me out of business.
Along with our five employees.

And that is my bottom line.

ArmyAunt on September 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I don’t care if people vote for Perry. The attack is stupid in fact and law. If you want to attack Perry, at least make it something truthful.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I never changed the subject.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Let’s rewind the tape:

There is no courage required to when you have nothing to lose. And her attacks were the disgusting smears of an unbalanced psycho.

I say attack away, but keep it honest. But even better, especially for you Rick, put some ideas on the table!

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Daaaang…don’t kill the messenger MJ.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM

MB is a fabricator not a messenger.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Really?…..prove it.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM

At which point I proved it, as you just acknowledged. I didn’t talk about the other foolish smears. That was your attempt to change the subject from one smear to another.

Bottom line is that she is a liar as I said and that even you agree.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

OOOH, I can hardly wait for tonight.

The Mediocre arguing with the Hopeless and the Lunatic.

All Spurred on by people looking for the destruction of all, and cheered on by their individual idiotic fan bases.

What’s not to love!

LegendHasIt on September 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Bottom line is that she is a liar as I said and that even you agree.

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Ain’t the internet a mean b_tch.

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I’m not “attacking” anyone….just asking questions and wondering if you will ever answer them.

Again….you’re not answering the question…what is it with you?

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Heh, see above.

You are a Perry hatin’ concern troll on par with “wanna’ remain” unseen, idiotdesign, rebarbed, capgun, whatcat “did he choke”. little wolfie and a couple of others. Always disguising your attacks as “only asking a question”

What is with me? Nothing, I am all about defeating Obama. The same could be asked about you, but we know your goal is to destroy every candidate who stands in the way of your preference. If she cannot win on her own, what makes you think she could beat Obama?

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Michele Bachmann’s brave mention of Merck

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM

MJBrutus on September 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Now, there’s the difference between us.
“Bachmann/Merck” was brought up….you were thinking “HPV/retardation” and I was thinking “crony capitalism”.

Silly me, I thought you were thinking the same thing as I was. I already knew that MB’s HPV statement was ridiculous…..on the other hand, you have no comment on the more important charges that will probably keep him from being elected.

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

First you call me a Bachmann Backer….now a “Perry hatin’ concern troll”.
Which is it?…or can I be both?

tencole on September 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

A subject/question many of us can relate to:
“What will you do about the TSA”

diogenes on September 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM

A subject/question many of us can relate to: to which many of us can relate:
“What will you do about the TSA”

diogenes on September 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I don’t really care how many dings each candidate can inflict on each other, where they can really win my vote and support is by telling me what they have planned for their term and what are their top issues they would like to get done in their first 100 days. With Jobs #1 on most Americans minds I would like to see something like this.

- Flat Tax (10% rate preferred)for Personal and Business with no loop holes no Expiration Date.
- Reduce all Gov. Subsodies by 25% each year until there are no more Gov. subsodies (including universities)
- Freeze Gov. spending and stop all deficits until we pay down the current deficit. Until it can be maintained with a revolving 3year term. Meaning if the Congress wants to finance it in 2012 it has to be paid in full with no overruns by 2015.(and no borrowing from other gov. programs)
- Reverse any regulations that unfairly hampers businesses and remove or replace redundant regs.

This should be a good start and if any candidate can do more than this they will win my campaign contributions too.

lwssdd on September 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM

They schedule these debates on the worst nights. It’s season premier night! All new shows! Thank goodness for DVR.

walnut on September 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I think it will be a very spirited debate..:)

Dire Straits on September 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Lon Chaney on September 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM

That looks important, what do you think about it?

cozmo on September 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Room for One More? Gary Johnson crashes FOX News Debate, Presidency Five
******************

Gary Johnson what the heck are you doing?

As if a field of 8 Presidential hopefuls wasn’t enough for the FOX News debate on Thursday night, 38th tier candidate, and former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson has wiggle his way into the GOP debate at Presidency V.
=========================

canopfor on September 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Live Streaming links:

Enjoy folks!

SgtSVJones on September 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

lwssdd on September 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Great proposals!! I love them.

Speaking of “crony capitalism”, Rick Perry has his own Soylndra scandal that is about to blow up soon.

Conservative Samizdat on September 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM

gettin’ close to party time…..gonna grab the beer, chips & guac……!

Tim_CA on September 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Well, considering I am still in Afghanistan at the moment, from the highlights that have been posted so far, Ron Paul has hit another debate out of the ball park.
U.S. Marines for Ron Paul 2012!!!

RightXBrigade on September 23, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Maybe the next POTUS will emerge from the pack!

He did, and he’s Mitt Romney. I know most people here despise him, but it’s childish to do so. I don’t know anybody more genuinely conservative that Hugh Hewitt, who endorsed Romney in 2008.

Rick Perry basically defended free college to illegal aliens. So this is his Romneycare, and he can’t defend it logically has Romney has. He says if you don’t want to provide free education to illegals, you don’t have a heart. His “conservatism” is a sham. At least Romney can enunciate and defend his positions. Maybe we should listen to him.

flataffect on September 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM