Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on September 21, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Put this one in the Not Grasping The Concept category:

MSNBC’s Rich Shulman quipped that “I don’t know much about diplomatic protocols, but I would guess that waving during the group photo is something to avoid.”  From this photo, it looks like 29 out of 30 global leaders agree. (h/t HA reader Carmen P)

Addendum: In case readers wonder whether this is on the level, Zombie at PJ Tatler probed the image’s authenticity and concludes it’s on the level. I’m pretty sure that MSNBC wouldn’t have posted a photoshop that makes Obama look bad, either.

Update: I’ve confirmed that the picture is authentic — by purchasing it from Getty Images.  Unless Getty’s into photoshops, it’s on the level.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Looks real enough to me. I’m just wondering why he’s in the center. Surely the whole world doesn’t believe they all revolve around him!

Eren on September 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Why do you hate comedy?

Bishop on September 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I love comedy. But making fun of a picture that is either goofing or faked and calling it an obamateurism is NOT what I’m about and certainly not what I thought HotAir was about. President Pull-Ups makes enough obamaterisms without creating a fake one.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Why would a prestigious organization like Getty Images fake a photo and then then lie about it?

kingsjester on September 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM

The people are who are saying that the photo is faked are nothing but Obama apologists even though they think they are acting out of high-minded principles.

There are too many enablers on the right who fail to tell the truth about this fraudulent man. I guess the real truth is just too frightening.

No Niks on September 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

kingsjester on September 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Dont know , but it looks like it could be a cardboard cutout.

the_nile on September 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Even if it were faked it would still be funny. I don’t know why anyone would doubt that a serial bower wouldn’t wave.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

This cannot be in the weekly roundup. It would be a no contest.

Dingbat63 on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Not at all. IF you’d paid any attention you’d know that I, like 99% here, have NO use for Obummer. However, using a faked photo only hurts the REAL complaints we have against him.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Are you sure you’re not trying to make a name for yourself by exposing a fraud all by your lonesome? In this case, it appears your zeal to promote yourself has blinded you to evidence to the contrary.

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

the_nile on September 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

He is a cardboard cut out. Maybe they used one to hold his spot while they lined everyone up. No, that would seem arrogant. Maybe they called his name to make sure he was there.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

As was pointed out the ‘Dude’ thread, this is fake

Washington Nearsider on September 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Your proof that the picture is a fake is disingenuous, your picture is just another pose. Many pictures were taken. My, my, troll, does it hurt to see TheOne making a fool of himself again?

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

IRONY ALERT!!!! IRONY ALERT!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Let me guess… The guy who’s blotted out represents one of our closest allies?

Anybody know who that is???

taznar on September 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

this photo HAS to be a fake. Top row our left, at least one person, is cut out, bottom row our right, another person is cut out. Plus Obama already stands out in a “funny” way like he was placed there. It would also not be a “natural” place to place a very tall person, he should be back at least one row.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Another true believing troll. *sigh*

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

It’s about the Barry. It’s always all about the Barry.

Is there a problem?

locomotivebreath1901 on September 21, 2011 at 9:46 AM

IRONY ALERT!!!! IRONY ALERT!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Now you’ve done it. Diet Coke all over my monitor.

kingsjester on September 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Wow, IW. You’ve clearly never read anything I post here, nor have you clicked my name and read my blog.

You also missed the apology I issued about five minutes after copy/pasting a link from the other thread calling this a fake.

What was that about ‘troll’?

Washington Nearsider on September 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM

ED! You need to convert this to a caption contest! So far I think Bishop has the best ones, but it would be a great opportunity to keep at least one thread focused on the topic. I doubt even the delusional wing of the St Palin the Victimized congregation can make this about Palin.

My caption….

Stop! In the name of your love for me.
Before they vote on my Jobs bill.

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:48 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Well, why don’t you just report HotAir/Ed to AttackWatch if you’re so offended?

Fake picture, fake President, what difference does it make? I think it’s hilarious.

Knucklehead on September 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Increasingly, it’s become clear to me that the people who see Obama the most, the photags, don’t like him.

No Niks on September 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I’m looking forward to the tell-all books that will be written about this guy once he’s out of office. There will probably be stuff that will make this photo look like one of Barry’s classier moments.

AZCoyote on September 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It appears the picture isn’t a “fake” in that it’s actually Obama with his hand up in front of another person’s face, but still-photos can often mislead as to what was actually going on at that moment. Who’s to say that everyone had been instructed to remain still? They might have been in the midst of yukking it up over somebody’s quip, prior to taking actual, official photos. If you notice, several people are looking elsewhere, as if there’s a lot of action going on in the room. Perhaps shutters were clicking all over the place and each photographer was taking tons of pictures. So what if one or two of them show people who were out of pose?

Sorry, I just don’t think there’s enough here to say Obama did anything wrong here.

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

IRONY ALERT!!!! IRONY ALERT!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Lordy Cindy, you really need to cease trying to make every thread about me. It really is bad form for you to share your obsession with me on a public forum. Now I have previously asked you several times to stop obsessing on me. I see no reason for you to ignore my request. Now, again, can you please keep it to yourself? I am uncomfortable with all the attention you lavish on me.

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Dont know , but it looks like it could be a cardboard cutout.

the_nile on September 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

but, but, he is a cardboard cutout!!!

chai on September 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM

It’s not fake.

Caption at the Getty site:

Caption: NEW YORK – SEPTEMBER 20: U.S. President Barack Obama waves while standing with aother leaders during the Open Government Partnership event at the United Nations September 20, 2011 in New York City. The United Nations General Assembly kicks off September 21, with leaders from around the world attending. (Photo by Allan Tannenbaum-Pool/Getty Images)
Date created: 20 Sep 2011

Missy on September 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Wow, I admit to being a bit shocked. I thought conservatives like me didn’t stoop to the Democrats tricks of attacking the person and name calling. Your post and those that follow show me that I’m wrong.

In my world, everyone is welcome to their opinion. Facts are used to show that the opinion is either right or wrong. In my opinion this was a goof off shot by Obama or it’s photoshopped. Obama doesn’t look “real” in it. Other people are clearly cut off in the photo. The other pictures released have different coloring – several suits in this photo, including Obama’s, look blue. In other photos at the same event by the same photographer, the suits look grey and black. *I* believe it was either a known test shot or it has been photoshopped.

Now get back to your disparaging of ME instead of my opinion.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Obama: “Did I do that?!?”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Your commitment to something that has no real evidence to back up makes it appear that you have an agenda. I simply asked you a question and made an observation that could be a possibility.

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

“Hey, I’m right here!”

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Give the guy a break, it’s only a cardboard cutout.

Dhuka on September 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I thought the same thing. I do believe it is a real picture, Obama just looks so fake.

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM

*I* believe it was either a known test shot or it has been photoshopped.

Now get back to your disparaging of ME instead of my opinion.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I think you can reduce your either/or to just one choice now – known test shot. Getty Images posted the photo and says he was waving. Can they be wrong? Sure. Is it likely? Not very. If somehow they ended up with a shopped photo, they would have heard from the WH by now and removed the photo and/or issued a correction.

Maybe he was goofing around – totally possible. But if you refuse to admit that it’s not a photoshop, you’re diminishing your ability to persuade anyone about the test shot.

Missy on September 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

You seem like you are seriously miffed, the question is why?

PBHO is just a man like any other, and a detestable one at that, surely we can have a little fun at his expense.

So you can sit in your wood-paneled study, wearing your tweed sportcoat and turtleneck, and act all stuffy and important.

Me, I’m going to laugh at PBHO the Clown.

Bishop on September 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM

“I’m five years old.”

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hey ma, look at me. I’m right smack dab in the middle where everyone can see my awesomeness.

vcferlita on September 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

you don’t think that if W did this, this would have been 24/7 coverage…this would be the top of the hour news on every lsm station

this is definitely an OOTD….

cmsinaz on September 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I suspect that’s true of most of the people around Obama, not just the photographers. Narcissists are only superficially charming; if you have to spend time with them, the charm quickly wears off. It soon becomes clear that they only care about themselves. AZCoyote on September 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Can you imagine how hard it is to add the required halo to every picture?

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM

“I, Barack Hussein Obama, promise to subvert the constitution and help foreign and domestic enemies do the same. So help me, ME!”

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM

This thread is so funny on so many levels.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Hey, everyone, go easy on the guy, will you. That pose has worked for Barry ever since his first grade class photo.

parke on September 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

What was that about ‘troll’?

Washington Nearsider on September 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I was wrong calling you a troll. I hope you accept my apology. You are not a troll. I did check out your blog, I should have done that before I commented. Again I was wrong and I hope you accept my apology.

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Exactly.

kingsjester on September 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Amazing how the “cutout” Obama of Getty has the same polka dot tie that the “real” Obama of AP is wearing…

MNHawk on September 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

No biggie. Like I said earlier – I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt twice in the past 30 days, and both times I’ve ended up looking like a fool.

Never again.

Washington Nearsider on September 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

MNHawk on September 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It’s a interchangeable clip on or stick on as the case may be.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Meanwhile Noynoy Aquino is feeling pretty happy that someone didn’t just yell out “left turn, Clyde.”

MNHawk on September 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

And its the Chinese guy….

No accident.

Thanks, Obama.

coldwarrior on September 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

This post sure makes you look very full of yourself, do you realize that? I have seen this post many times from you. Do you save it so you can copy and paste your post, just changing the name?

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I can hear it now:

Jake Tapper: “Jay, why did President Obama wave during the photo-op when no one else did?”

Jay Carney: “Jake, please don’t engage in Kabuki theater. We have a jobs bill that we need to pass now. The president is focused like a LASER on that.”

mwdiver on September 21, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I suppose we really should count our blessings.

Obama could have raised a single finger.

coldwarrior on September 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Who’s the guy who got the hand job?

Kissmygrits on September 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I don’t know if it is real or not, but the guy over Obama’s left shoulder looks like he is looking at him like “what a doofus!”

p40tiger on September 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM

It’s ALL about Barry ALL the time. Good to see that nothing has changed.

GarandFan on September 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Just another of many goofs by Obama.

Notice, there are 2 people to the left…a man and a woman who seem to be glancing over at Obama as he waves. I’d love to have an inside track on what they were thinking at that moment. LOL

capejasmine on September 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Amidoinitrite?

elcapt on September 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

this is definitely an OOTD….

cmsinaz on September 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

No, I don’t. I say that because we have no proof that it was done during the time official photos were being snapped. This could have been a few minutes before everyone had to put their game face on for the photographers.

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Exactly what is it about that snark that escapes you? Or are you obsessing on me now?

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Now get back to your disparaging of ME instead of my opinion.

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Maybe it was just a “goof off” shot or a test shot. It doesn’t really matter. Getty has listed this photo and others, for sale on their website.

If President Obama doesn’t have the manners,consideration or common sense to not wave his hand in front of another man’s face, you should be angry at him – not at HA, not at Getty, not at MSNBC and other websites showing the same photo. If he was goofing off and waving while waiting for the official portrait to be taken, then shame on him.

GrannySunni on September 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I’m only “angry” (I’d call it “miffed”) at those that attack me and call me names for my opinion

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

KGB, granted however, W or any other gop would still have been mocked relentlessly

cmsinaz on September 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Calm down, everyone knows that there is a rational explanation for this but that doesn’t take away from it being funny. Remember in China when W tried to go through locked doors? I am sure that there are probably multiples of this “line up” obviously it isn’t the one that will be the official picture. Maybe if The Won wasn’t such an arrogant narcissist even the people who like him wouldn’t release mildly embarrassing photos.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

You were mocked because you made/make very specific allegations which were/still are easily debunked.

MNHawk on September 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

@katablog – sorry, I should have said something other than angry. I value everyone’s opinions but dislike the personal attacks also when there is disagreement.

GrannySunni on September 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I am really surprised by how many people are defending this photo or claiming it’s photoshopped.

You can go to Getty Images website and see it’s for sale by them.

Everyone is clearly aware there is a camera and that a photo is going to be taken.

And here’s the kicker about the “it’s photoshopped” crowd defending this. They say it has to be photoshopped, because it’s so outrageous, but yet then when the reality of it being real hits them, it’s no longer outrageous, it’s just a “goof”.

Logic shows those people are just looking for an excuse to say this is okay. Narcissism is never okay. It’s a destructive disorder that normally only affects their small circle of friends or family, but with this one in the White House, it’s destructive force has rippled throughout our nation.

Everyone is paying for it.

ButterflyDragon on September 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I was wrong and I hope you accept my apology.

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I don’t want to butt in here, but I must say, this was pretty darn gracious of you.

RushBaby on September 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

If you were being assembled for a group photo, wouldn’t you be paying attention instead of goofing off? Everyone else appears to have their game face on and prepared for the photo. It reminds me of when school children gathered for class photos and there was always one jokester that got scolded for clowing around.

GrannySunni on September 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Folks, little Bammie is obviously putting his hand up to ask a question, and the question surely would be “since I’m so historic and unprecedented, shouldn’t I be in the center of the front row?”

slickwillie2001 on September 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Obama: “Hey, can you Photoshop my Nobel Peace Prize into my hand?”

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

slickwillie2001 on September 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Or he could be asking where his throne is.

csdeven on September 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Give the guy a break, it’s only a cardboard cutout.

Dhuka on September 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Apparently looking like a cardboard cutout is his specialty. Just sayin’.

inviolet on September 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

inviolet on September 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Was that from this trip? How does Mrs. Obama find progressively uglier dresses? The woman is a talent.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I mean c’mon.

What more proof does anyone need that li’l bammie thinks it’s all about him?

I mean, what a friggin’ self-absorbed dope.

Tim_CA on September 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Calm down? I didn’t realize I’d been acting excitedly. I just don’t see the point in a blanket party over this photo when no one has any idea what was going on during the exact moment it was shot. I’m sorry, but as much as I dislike President Obama I don’t see the need for cheap shots.

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I really wanted to see that classy, elegant VIP standing to Obama’s right in this photo.

Oh-bummer.

Steve Z on September 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM

This was definitely not photoshopped. The woman who is second from the left in the second row is obviously looking at Obama’s hand, probably wondering why is he covering his neighbor’s face!

Steve Z on September 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

You should have seen the thread on the design of the stage for the Democrat convention in 2008. We have so little to laugh at, we take the opportunities where they come.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

The look on his face is just……priceless

Alden Pyle on September 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

And the look that the brunette milf above/right is shooting him says it all. **thought bubble** the hire help has more sense than this idiot**

Alden Pyle on September 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

We have so little to laugh at, we take the opportunities where they come.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Now that I can buy. But take heart, January 2013 will be here faster than you think. And between now and then we’ll be laughing on a daily basis at the shocked desperation of the media as it sinks in that America is once again “raaaaaacccciissst”!

KGB on September 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM

actually the vid’s a bit older but I still find it amazing. And heh, you’re right about the dresses, tho I was pleasantly surprised at this one. Note the lack of Klingon-like belt…and at least the color’s flattering.

inviolet on September 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

“Skittles….melt in your mouth, not in your hand!”

ziggyville on September 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Tru dat KGB @12:03

cmsinaz on September 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Obi-One malfunction.

RDE2010 on September 21, 2011 at 8:21 AM

That’s funny right there, I don’t care who y’are. Git R Done.

Jarhead68 on September 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Where’s Waldo Barry?

cane_loader on September 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

They seem to be all laughing at him…

tinkerthinker on September 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM

This gets my vote for the Obamateurism of the Week.

pdigaudio on September 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM

ROFL…I just read the comments over at the PJ link:

Maybe the photographer asked the group, “Who wants to see Obama re-elected?”

ROFL ROFL

Bishop on September 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I cracked up when I saw that thread-winner over there as well.

DOTUS for the WIN. Even the expression on his face as he waves is dorky.

What’s plain to me is that Oboobi was a kid that grew up friendless and insecure and now he will get his justice.

AH_C on September 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Rushbo talking about this now
Alfred e Newman

Heh

cmsinaz on September 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Is hell freezing over or what? Not only has MSNBX posted the picture, but the commenters there are bashing Øbama almost non-stop.

petefrt on September 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Not photo-shopped, period.

For those who want to prove that this is a “goof”, contact any one of the seven major media outlets who were there, more than 2 have video.

Jason Coleman on September 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM

In the only other photo taken, he was scratching his nose with his middle finger.

Brat on September 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Best comment on MSNBC:

DrZin

“Talk to the hand, because these giant, f***ing Dumbo ears ain’t listenin!”‘

LOL

Shiny_Tiara on September 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I wonder what the chances are that his pre-NFL-opener speech backfired? Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

People are gathered together in bars and homes, talking and starting to drink, and 0bamAA+ is blaring away before the game, and maybe enough people finally thought, “I’ve heard enough from this guy”

cane_loader on September 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Simon says, “smile.” Ok…put your right hand up! Ahhhh. Got you Mr. President. Simon didn’t say put your right hand up!

sdd on September 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Brat on September 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM

lmao

Tim_CA on September 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Alex,

Who is “Mike Wozowsky”!

/btw, Did I win anything?

Sir Napsalot on September 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Stole this caption from another site:

Just before snapping the picture, the photographer asked, “Who thinks Obama should be re-elected?”

Mallard T. Drake on September 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM

If you’re at work….sneak this photo on to your lib friends computers as the background.

Tim_CA on September 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM

This guy is all class, without the cl.

Mirimichi on September 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM