Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on September 21, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Put this one in the Not Grasping The Concept category:

MSNBC’s Rich Shulman quipped that “I don’t know much about diplomatic protocols, but I would guess that waving during the group photo is something to avoid.”  From this photo, it looks like 29 out of 30 global leaders agree. (h/t HA reader Carmen P)

Addendum: In case readers wonder whether this is on the level, Zombie at PJ Tatler probed the image’s authenticity and concludes it’s on the level. I’m pretty sure that MSNBC wouldn’t have posted a photoshop that makes Obama look bad, either.

Update: I’ve confirmed that the picture is authentic — by purchasing it from Getty Images.  Unless Getty’s into photoshops, it’s on the level.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Give the guy a break, it’s only a cardboard cutout.

Dhuka on September 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM
I thought the same thing. I do believe it is a real picture, Obama just looks so fake.

IowaWoman on September 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I noticed that there are people off to the left in the photo, but consider the source of the photo. Apparently they wanted Obama to appear to have been front and center, so they cropped it to make him front and center. What is amazing is that they saw nothing wrong with his hand infront of the person behind him.

I paint photo realistic portraits. To my eye, the lights and shadows on Obama are consistent with those around him. You would never acheive that with a card board cutout or with the photo shopping skills his people have demonstrated. Blowing the picture up does not show any pixel changes from those around him either. I will go with experts that this is an honest picture of an idiot doing one of those dumb and dumber cluster farks that an average adult in their right mind would not do.

The question is; why did he think it was appropriate to wave in a group picture of world leaders? There really is no good answer.

The best might be that he was not paying attention to the little people taking the picture and got caught waving at Michelle with the “look where I am” stance.

Maybe his mind was on the two campaign fundraisers he was going to attend once he got away from the required hand presses with world leaders, and the wave sort of slipped out.

The more sobering thought is that Obama is losing his mental stablity. It is a question that even his own party is quietly whispering about. This picture certainly encourages that conclusion. This is not something that a president of the United States should be doing in an important photo that the world will see. He is already a laughing stock to the world, how much more so will he be now.

It is so inappropriate that it is possible that it was done intentionally to devalue his competency and stance on sideing with Israel on Palestinian statehood vote. It is no secret that he has supported the Palestinians in his Middle east peace efforts. If no one tool him seriously or wanted any association with him, he could look supportive of Israel for his campaigning speeches and still effectively have supported the Palestinians.

As for the world leader that now looks like Obama’s hand, His short stature and wide facial features suggest that he is Asian. Maybe someone will come up with a name for the “Obama hand face guy”.

Franklyn on September 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

The guy with his face getting blocked is thinking: “I know morons like the back of Obama’s hand”.

But I’ll vote for the cardboard cutout theory too. He was probably golfing while this picture was being taken.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Smart Power?

NickelAndDime on September 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

They’re all lucky that he didn’t extend his middle finger at the bunch of them. He has been known to use such sophisticated community organizing semaphore techniques before.

Don L on September 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

It takes brains to be this much of an idiot!

January 2013 cannot get here fast enough!

Bubba Redneck on September 21, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Bush was walking by and Obozo was waving to him, it has to Bush’s fault I’m sure.

nwpammy on September 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

who cares about a picture, dont you idiots know what Open Government Partnership is about?? INCREASING FEDERAL BUREAUCRACY for the One-World government.

mathewsjw on September 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

mathewsjw on September 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Excellent point.

LegendHasIt on September 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Franklyn on September 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Because putting 2 fingers in a “V” behind the head of the woman on his right and jumping up and down going Indian Indian wohhh wohhh might be considered rude.

It appears the man who’s face Obama is blocking is Chinese President Hu Jintao.
That would be China, the country we owe all that money too.

OMG SCFOAMF

DSchoen on September 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

This guy

Bigurn on September 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

That’s an insult to Steve Urkel. There is an actualy art from involved with that characters. Obama lacks any talent whatsoever.

RDE2010 on September 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

*actual art form (which my typing lacks)

RDE2010 on September 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

mathewsjw on September 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Excellent point.

LegendHasIt on September 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Relax, it’s not gonna happen here.

But it might give Obama an opening to not run his re-election, because he now has ‘a bigger role’, a higher calling to run an UN gig.

Sir Napsalot on September 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yes there is: “they told me to stop bowing , I promised not to bow, whatever I do, I can’t bow, I’ll lose the indie vote if I keep bowing, I musn’t bow, but if I don’t do something they won’t notice me -oh nooooooo! Here goes!

Thhhttttssalllffolllkkssss!

Don L on September 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Another site has the blocked face as the head of Mongolia!
I suppose this is better than his usual upraised middle finger.

Don L on September 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

this photo HAS to be a fake.
katablog.com on September 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Top row our left, at least one person, is cut out, bottom row our right, another person is cut out.

Yawn, that’s what happens when you zoom in on a photo. Go to the Zombie at PJ Tatler link, page 2 and you will see a zoomed out photo.

Plus Obama already stands out in a “funny” way like he was placed there.

He was placed there! Have you ever been part of a group photo? Everyone is “placed”.
In the series of photos taken of this group shot, Obama is in the same place every time, as are the rest of the world leaders!

It would also not be a “natural” place to place a very tall person, he should be back at least one row.

Ever hear of “bleachers” ?

DSchoen on September 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM

OOTD thread with >200 comments.

Way to go!

ted c on September 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Update: I’ve confirmed that the picture is authentic — by purchasing it from Getty Images. Unless Getty’s into photoshops, it’s on the level.

Ed. you paid money…..for that?? dude!!!!

ted c on September 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Ed. you paid money…..for that?? dude!!!!

ted c on September 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Ed needed something to line the bottom of his birdcage?

coldwarrior on September 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

It is a huge protocol boo-boo, you don’t wave. It says here the caption: “US President Barack Obama waves while standing with other leaders during the Open Government Partnership event at the United Nations September 20 in New York City.”

ted c on September 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

*facepalm* What a complete and utter fool this guy is. And total scrunt, that goes without saying. How embarrassing.

Fortunata on September 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Obviously he thought he was being sworn in as Supreme Fearless Leader of the World.

“Raise your right hand, smile like Gomer Pyle, and repeat after me as if you actually care about the oath.”

Adjoran on September 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I am now officially ashamed of our President; who is now outed as a Dork.

skatz51 on September 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Mr. President, the next time you have to go to the bathroom, just go. You don’t have to raise your hand and ask permission.

hepcat on September 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Pic. Here.

justltl on September 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM

“Hey! Who wants to see Obama reelected?”

Sorry, I heard that on Rush today.

TexAz on September 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Seriously…could he be any more awkward?

WaltzingMtilda on September 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM

OOTD still getting hits at 9 pm. Nice

darwin-t on September 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Relax, everyone. He was going to swat another fly.

TexasDan on September 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM

According to The Grapevine, Obama had decided that surely the photographer had gotten a usable shot after the number of pictures taken.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I nominate this as the new picture for each OOTD from here on out. Classic.

tom on September 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Hi,my name’s Barry,and I’m a spendaholic.

Hi Barry!

Laura in Maryland on September 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Anyone leave a pack of cigarettes over here?

TexasDan on September 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Caption: The photographer asks “Who cut one”…and the perpetrator, apparently proud of his inappropriate act, volunteered his identity…

landlines on September 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Maybe this will soften the blow.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Zero has a lot of problems with what to do with his hands — as when the National Anthem is played when he is on stage
1)hold crotch, or
2)left hand over chest

dragondrop on September 22, 2011 at 2:51 AM

I nominate this as the new picture for each OOTD from here on out. Classic.

tom on September 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM

That, or have Chris Muir recreate it in his own way.

SKYFOX on September 22, 2011 at 6:07 AM

This, along with the other stuff too numerous to mention, would be funny to me if this guy wasn’t president of my country.

ncborn on September 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM
Ha! His lame excuse doesn’t matter. He is still playing class clown. Too bad he is out of junior high. Our funny ass clown president.

mobydutch on September 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Now my Facebook profile pic.

vcferlita on September 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM

YERKLE, Fer sure.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I should quit talking about the Prez being an ass clown. Seriously, this might be a symptom of his depression.

mobydutch on September 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Relax, it’s not gonna happen here.

Sir Napsalot on September 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Your are probably right. After he has managed to be President of the United States without the qualifications to be president, or even qualify to pick tomatoes in the country since E verify says he is an illegal. what next? It has to be something he is not allowed to be.

Well it just so happens that there is a law that says the former heads of state cannot be president of the United Nations. There it is! It is just a matter of declaring the restriction as irrelvent and out dated. If that does not work he can demand, even dare, they prove he was a legitimate head of state or shut up and elect him president of the UN.

Being smarter than anyone else, so knowledgeable in world affairs and protocals, and shall we say, allowed to enter parts of a Mosque that infidels are never allowed in, he will be the perfect UN president for the new world order that he believes in.

Michelle will for the first time in her life, be proud of the world, and to prove it will schedule weekly visits to far off places around the world that have acceptable accomondations and lobster on the menu.

Franklyn on September 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM

This is a bad week for photos for the OBAMAS. Check out this bling-tastic pic at HillBuzz. THIS has got to be the Obamateurism of the Day for today — and, as a bonus, we get to include FLOTUS in the selection!!!

Mutnodjmet on September 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Fourth row, second from left. Does this lady have a laser-like focus on the One?

RDE2010 on September 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Think that’s the Brazilian President.

Think POTUS has his hand over the Paskitani President’s face.

Watcha think?

shick on September 26, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Since it’s Øbama, I want to know what is he doing with the other hand.

petefrt on September 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Well we know he’s not picking someone’s pocket because the others are not Americans.

Well, he could be giving them our money.

shick on September 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM