Michelle Obama chums it up with Gloria Steinem

posted at 5:28 pm on September 20, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Michelle Obama is not to be outdone by her husband. Last night in New York City, the Mister delivered some fantastically partisan rhetoric to a fundraiser full of ticketed attendees, each of whom shelled out approximately $38,500 just for the privilege to be in the president’s presence. So, to make her presence felt, Mrs. O first descended on the city in a neon getup that HuffPo style bloggers hailed as “awesome,” but which taught me to understand why fashion icons like Oscar de la Renta and Karl Lagerfeld have criticized the First Lady’s choices of attire.

Then, today, Michelle hosted a fundraiser headlined by the feministest feminist of all, Ms. Gloria Steinem (emphasis on the “Ms.” because men’s titles don’t change according to marital status, so why should women’s?). Also joining the party were: Planned Parenthood Federation of America president Cecile Richards, EMILY’s List President Stephanie Schriock and, my favorite, DWS herself.

The fundraiser comes at a particularly needed time for the president — just as Ron Suskind’s controversial book Confidence Men has raised questions about whether the Obama White House is or has been a hostile work environment for women. If that type of talk persists, Obama’s approval rating among women might stand to suffer. As The Fix’s Chris Cillizza put it in a recent headline, “Barack Obama doesn’t have a ‘women’ problem. At least not yet.” The clear implication is that he could lose the female vote — and it’s precisely that outcome that this fundraiser and other efforts were designed to stave off, according to a Huffington Post article previewing the event.

“Women are a really important constituency for us,” said an Obama campaign aide. “Their involvement and support was integral in 2008 and we are not taking their support for granted in 2012. The idea behind this fundraiser is engaging women, on a wider scale, to get involved and energized about the political process and the 2012 election.” …

Jennifer Lawless, director of the Women and Politics Institute at American University, said Obama needs strong turnout from women in order to win in 2012.

“He needs the women’s vote. There’s no question,” said Lawless. “What’s up for grabs right now is the extent to which women are energized and ready to mobilize for him. In every presidential election since 1980, there’s been a gender gap with women more likely to support the Democratic candidate than men. Without the women’s vote — because women comprise the majority of the electorate — it’s virtually impossible for a candidate to win the election.”

In 2008, an analysis by the Rutgers Center for American Women and Politics found that women were a “significant factor” in Obama’s victory. He won 56 percent of women’s votes, whereas his opponent, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), won just 43 percent. Men split their vote about evenly between the two candidates.

A recent AP-GfK poll found that less than half of all women approve of the job Obama is doing. That’s a significant drop from the 100-day mark of his presidency, when 68 percent of women approved of his performance. Fifty percent now say he deserves reelection.

No wonder the president has so conscientiously sided with Planned Parenthood against the states.

Whether Michelle’s fundraiser will do her husband much good on the female vote front remains to be seen, but the president is smart to not take core constituencies for granted. Republicans should take note. As I wrote yesterday (and will probably continue to pound between now and November 2012), to win the election, voter turnout must, as ever, be a top priority.

In the meantime, I continue to be flummoxed by the Democratic Party’s hold on women.

First, full disclosure: I swing especially far to the right on this. Truly, little saddens me so much as the popular relinquishment of femininity, the widespread abandonment of certain bounds of propriety and the demonization of the cult of domesticity, as though it was never a joy and always a prison to be the queen of one’s own home, cooking, cleaning and child-rearing on Husband’s dime. Honestly, it always seemed more like a raw deal for men to me, but, like I said, I swing very far to the right on this. Plus, I tend to be hopelessly romantic and idealistic. I’ve been working to better understand the need for the women’s lib movement and I recognize a need did exist. Still, it especially aggravates me that feminism eventually veered so far to the left as to effectively leave women with just one “acceptable” option: To work and to attempt to prove not just equality (which I adamantly assert) but absolute similarity (which I don’t) with men. I happen to think more girls might like “the domestic life” if they’d had half an exposure to it.

But even if I wasn’t old-fashioned about premarital sex, birth control and cohabitation, and even if I wasn’t an almost unequivocal fan of traditional marriage and stay-at-home motherhood, I would still maintain many women would be more comfortable in the conservative movement than they have been cavorting with the Democrats.

As my friend Hannah Sternberg has documented, conservative feminism is not an oxymoron. In other words, you need not be as traditional as I am to see that conservative solutions benefit women.

Take just one example: When’s the last time you’ve heard a Democrat tout marriage as a solution to the poverty of some single mothers? And, yet, research shows marrying the father of their kids is the No. 1 thing such mothers can do to lift themselves and their children out of less-than-ideal living circumstances.

Or, to look at it from an entirely different angle, when’s the last time you’ve heard a Democrat touting solutions that would truly benefit small-business owners? Some 400 businesses are started by women every day. You’d think those women, at least, would vote Republican.

All of which is to say: I hope women — indeed, all voters — think through the issues at play in the 2012 elections from the prism of their own personal life experiences and not according to any preconceived identity politics — and then cast their votes accordingly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That dress… my eyes,my eyes!

sandee on September 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Yowser …. the eyes, the eyes!

Sir Napsalot on September 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I hate the idea that there is such thing as a “woman’s vote”. We are not a group. We are individuals. We shouldn’t accept writers and politicians treating women as a special interest group.

MayBee on September 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

What, or who, I guess, is DWS?

Dusty on September 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

She either always has a scowl on her face or she looks like she has a big dip of skoal in her mouth.

SirGawain on September 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

..jeeeez-us! Does Steinhem look like forty miles of bad road or what?

The War Planner on September 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Tina Korbe on September 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Ugg! Ugly in stereo.
HELP!

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I have contended for quite some time there is no such thing as a scary movie. After seeing this cast of characters I stand corrected.

NotCoach on September 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

What, or who, I guess, is DWS?

Dusty on September 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Think “poodle”.

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Who ever told Michele Obama that 6 inch belt look was fab?

ctmom on September 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Steinem, every day is a bad hair day.
Moochelle, every day is a bad face day.

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM

DWS?

Dancing with stars?

ButterflyDragon on September 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Tina, some guy is going to be very lucky to get a gal like you, with your good values. Congratulations. You must have had great parents.

mydh12 on September 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM

[Tina Korbe on September 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM]

Oh, her.

No problem, I have it now. I’ve just not seen her referred to that way and I couldn’t for the life of me think of who it was.

Dusty on September 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

The three-legged stool on which the modern Dem party sits are:

Abortion, affirmative action and unionization.

They would never abandon any of them.

Wethal on September 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM

..jeeeez-us! Does Steinhem look like forty miles of bad road or what?

The War Planner on September 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I wouldn’t say Gloria Steinem is ugly, but Ian McDiarmid just signed to play her in the movie…

fiatboomer on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Gawd, I hate that boatch.

Yes, that applies to both of them, but more to the wukey.

Chewyy’s species and name are banned words here. WTF?!?

RedNewEnglander on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Ugg! Ugly in stereo.
HELP!

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I thought it was a “before and after” set.

Whew.

BobMbx on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Which one is which?

fossten on September 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Dusty on September 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

DWS is actually becoming quite common place. Her name is just like her party and the POTUS: A cluster fark.

NotCoach on September 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

fiatboomer on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

A paranoid beta, who shall remain nameless, that fears such insults might be considered racist.

NotCoach on September 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I don’t understand her fascination with the wide belts worn way above the waistline. They don’t suit her at all.

Qzsusy on September 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I wonder if Gloria and Michelle talked about what a heinous human control mechanism Obamapretendstocare is?

Gloria Steinem:
The authority of any governing institution must stop at its citizen’s skin.

Speakup on September 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Not only is the term Conservative Feminism not an Oxymoron, but the word feminism itself is sheer irony. There is nothing feminine about a militant feminist, they seem to reject femininity at every turn.

As for Michelle Obama’s fashion sense, I never really paid much attention to it myself, but she dresses tacky as hell. Jackie Kennedy she is not.

Daemonocracy on September 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Are you assuming that only men open abortion clinics?

I’m glad to hear that there are still women in the world who enjoy being a homemaker and mother. Rare indeed, and that makes them special.

Tell me you wear pearls while baking…please….?

BobMbx on September 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Turning Aunt Esther loose in New York.

rjoco1 on September 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

No pics of Moose Hell.

tim c on September 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Michelle and the rest of hags of the left……..sold their souls at the Progressive religions most sacred altar years ago.

ABORTION on demand…….pity their reality at their first breath in the next world.

PappyD61 on September 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM

This be a testin’…

‘Cause I thought we were outtaheah if we mentioned, you know, her.

Lourdes on September 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Michelle hosted a fundraiser headlined by the feministest feminist of all, Ms. Gloria Steinem (emphasis on the “Ms.” because men’s titles don’t change according to marital status, so why should women’s?). Also joining the party were: Planned Parenthood Federation of America president Cecile Richards, EMILY’s List President Stephanie Schriock and, my favorite, DWS herself.

But, oh my Lord, that describes a lineup of The Ghastly.

Lourdes on September 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

To see what REALLY happened with “that dress”? http://www.MichellesMirror.com

Seriously, the woman needs a girdle or some type of containment device near the thighs so she can stop being a complete embarrassment. Sheesh.

Hint to MAO: They make a full body garment for uh, ladies like you. It’s called full body-Spanx. Find one. Use one.

Key West Reader on September 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

About that dress.Did she have an appointment later in the day selling ballons at a county fair?

oldernwiser on September 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Kuh-see-no?

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Don’t blame Michelle for the way she dresses…

… what would you say if you had that moose knuckle standing over you asking:

“Do I look alright in this?”

Seven Percent Solution on September 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Michelle has her fashions imported from Kashyyyk, via USPS Express.

BobMbx on September 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Ladies on the thread, a Question:

When was the last time you felt that you needed gubmint intervention to help you to achieve your goals?

Do you remember a time in your life when you were held back, unable to to attain any goal at all, other than being a housewife?

Do you think that the WH is in some sort of a time warp/different time and space where you feel that you need the wisdom and help of the gubmint? To help you further your career?

…..

Personally, I don’t. But that’s just me, and I grew up and was raised by Hippies; my dad had purple flared blue jeans and my mom was burning her bra.

Tina? Maybe you could poll the Real Women of H.A. to see if we’re all stuck in the 1968 era with Buh-Rock and Um-Chelle, or if we have emerged, successfully, as a society as a whole. Where prosperity rules over class warfare tactics.

I don’t think I’ve heard a demeaning comment since 1981. But, that’s just me.

Ladies? Please, respond.

Key West Reader on September 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Don’t blame Michelle for the way she dresses…

… what would you say if you had that moose knuckle standing over you asking:

“Do I look alright in this?”
Seven Percent Solution on September 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

LMAO!!!

Key West Reader on September 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM

==============================================================

That neon skirt,yellow top,and chest belt,somehow needs to
be turned down,from a 100 watt look,to a soft 40 watt,and
me thinks,the skirt is sumpin that Lady Ga Ga could work
with,and to be honest,it looks like a Nothern Ontario Bush,
er,a Forest fire,with all those colours,and red(for flames)
being the dominant!!

Maybe that was her colour coordinated idea of the UN Pali-Statehood,while in NY,light that mother up,and burn it
all down!!
(snark).

canopfor on September 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Don’t blame Michelle for the way she dresses…

… what would you say if you had that moose knuckle standing over you asking:

“Do I look alright in this?”
Seven Percent Solution on September 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Seven Percent Solution:At least ya didn’t mention,Toes of Camel,
haha,oh wait!!:)

canopfor on September 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

And all of you racists condemning Michelle for her choice of African bold colors! I am reporting you all to AtaaaaaaaaaackWaaaaaaaaaaatch.

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM

RedNewEnglander on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Chewy the Lab on September 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM

A woman needs a man like Michelle needs a low-fat muffin.

Oh, and you’re all raaaaacists.

OhioCoastie on September 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Someone must have convened the coven.

pat on September 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM

OMG, did when did they let Lynne Stewart out of prison?

Western_Civ on September 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM

OMG, when did they let Lynne Stewart out of prison?

Western_Civ on September 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Always makes me laugh….

On September 3, 2000, at age 66, Steinem married David Bale, father of actor Christian Bale. The wedding was performed at the home of her friend Wilma Mankiller

AndrewsDad on September 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Gloria, the gal that said this:
“marriage was the model for slavery law in this country”
“a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle”
And then she promptly got married.

asked whether President Bill Clinton should be impeached for lying under oath, she was quoted as saying, “Clinton should be censured for lying under oath about Lewinsky in the Paula Jones deposition, perhaps also for stupidity in answering at all.” The same year, Steinem defended Clinton against allegations of sexual impropriety that had been made by White House volunteer Kathleen Willey.

And of course was mortified that we actually went into the middle east freed women to pursue an education, pursue intellectual interests and actually work and be independent.

right2bright on September 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Ugg! Ugly in stereo.
HELP!

carbon_footprint on September 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

carbon_footprint:)
=====================

The Cars – Moving in the stereo & All mixed up
***********************************************

canopfor on September 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

One of the reasons that divorce has become so commonplace is that husbands and wives are no longer considered partners in life who work together for the good of the family with a common set of goals. The Feminists do NOT want to hear about women sacrificing for the good of anyone unless it is sacrificing unborn children.

I was a stay-at-home mom for many glorious years. My husband worked hard to support me and 6 kids and we home-schooled our kids for most of those years. He appreciated the sacrifice I made to stay home and I appreciated his sacrificing his spare time and hobbies for the rest of us. We did it for each other, and for our children, and for ourselves. I can certainly say that having one parent putting the home as their first priority makes for a more harmonious lifestyle for everyone. (One thing the feminists get right is that it doesn’t have to be mom. Dads can do the household thing just fine if they so choose.)

I have since re-entered the workforce to help pay off some exorbitant medical bills and since we only have our youngest left at home and he is a HS junior, it doesn’t effect the family all that much. I certainly don’t mind helping out with an extra paycheck but I can honestly say that it is not easy to be a working mom. I can see how women get resentful when they try to raise kids and work especially when the children are young and lots of work. Once you start resenting your life, resenting your husband, and your children is the next thing. Pretty soon they think if they just had husband 2.0, things will be better. But it doesn’t work that way.

Since we married very young at age 19 I still have plenty of good years left to have a Career, but after having done the mommy-at-home and the mommy-at-work thing, I would take the mommy-at-home in a hot minute.

Lily on September 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Michelle looks just like the “Grinch” in that picture!

bernzright777 on September 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

right2bright on September 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Steinem is another one who is in for a real rude awakening when she hits the afterlife.

Tim Zank on September 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Steinem’s beliefs, behavior and history have left unpleasant, indelible marks on her.

Mason on September 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Turning Aunt Esther loose in New York.

rjoco1 on September 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Perfect!

Gang-of-One on September 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

$38,000.00 to have a dinner and listen to another speech???

P.T. Barnum comes to mind for some reason.

That’s audacious though. I wonder how many people at that dinner want their taxes raised??

KMC1 on September 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Was that emperor palpatin next to MO?

AltTuning on September 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Egads! I have the same sweater MO is wearing! I wear mine for very casual events – not to fundraising dinners. I happen to love that color, but her signature belt looks awful and the skirt is also too casual for the occasion. Hopefully she didn’t burn her bra and arrive bra-less in deference to Ms Steinem.

Buy Danish on September 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Go easy on Moochelle folks, she is trying to do all she can for green energy: Michelle Goes Green

slickwillie2001 on September 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

..jeeeez-us! Does Steinhem look like forty miles of bad road or what?

The War Planner on September 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

fiatboomer on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

My thoughts exactly. She looks like the Palpatine circa jedi.

cobrakai99 on September 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Actually the dress and sweater are okay. But I garre that she needs to quit wearing those wide belts. She has too high a wasitline for them and she’s definitely not thin enough to wear them. They just make her hips look even wider. She should have used a slim tie belt in a color to match the sweater. Yeah, what do I know.

As for the Feminist movement, I was a flower child very briefly, I mean very briefly for one summer and fall. Then grouse season opened and it was all over. You just can’t hold flowers and wear bell bottoms when you’re carrying an Ithaca Model 37 and tramping behind a bird dog. That is true Feminism. Why? Because I was doing what I liked to do and not what Gloris Steinem or Phyllis Schafly said I should do.

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Tim Zank on September 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Indeed…but I think she is tormented and will be tormented by the many lives she has helped destroy…for her, like many, her money and fame is a temporary salve for the wounds to her soul.

right2bright on September 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Don’t put your email out there…you will have enough marriage proposals to bring down your computer.

right2bright on September 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Feminism is Marxist philosophy. Why conservative women want to call themselves feminists is beyond me. It’s like the “Supermom” label the feminists used to get women into the workforce, then keep them there. Doesn’t everyone just want be one?

Connie on September 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

As a woman, I don’t see why my being a woman has to factor into my vote at all.

We have rights. We have the right to vote.
All else is up to me on how I live my life.
I don’t care if women feel victimized or not….when they are NOT.
it’s the same for me to listen to the racial crap. I don’t vote based on my skin color either.

Sick and tired of all of this. Laws protect woman and minorities. Done. Over with. Get over yourselves.

We should hold the politicians to do their jobs. So far, they have NOT done well by the American people. Whether or not I am black or white or male or female shouldn’t ever matter to me. Not in this day and age.

Quit whining about things that don’t matter anymore. All women here in the US chose their own path. So be it. Let’s pay attention to how DC is spending our money, eh?

And ignore, if you will, what color I am or what sex I am.
Thanks!!!

bridgetown on September 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I don’t understand why Michelle Obama frequently looks so bad in her clothes. We know it’s not because she doesn’t like to spend extravagantly on herself. Yet she often looks, as she does in this get-up, as if she fished what she’s wearing out of the discount bin at some Salvation Army thrift store.

AZCoyote on September 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

oldernwiser on September 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that pattern described to as ‘clown puke’ before.

ElectricPhase on September 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I don’t, but my mother does. She hit the glass ceiling in the late ’50s. After her service in the war, she earned a double B.A. in psychology and philosophy at a top-flight university and wanted to go on to become a clinical psychologist, but was told she couldn’t get funding because she was female.

I think the WH is in a different reality from the rest of us, so yes. :-)

Ladies? Please, respond.

Key West Reader on September 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

The pendulum has swung so far that now it’s clobbering men instead, and that’s hurting both men and women.

Mary in LA on September 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

right2bright on September 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

LOL Probably not when I tell them it was in 1968. But I learned more about feminism from my parents than any celebrity. My mother survived the Depression by working as a court recorder and was a “lady.” But she also knew how to can just about anything and baked every Saturday. My father told me that I should not depend on anyone for everything, so he taught me how to do basic carpentry and electical and plumbing chores, as well as hunting and fishing. And that’s what’s missing today, not just with young women but lots of young men too.

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Gloria Steinem does look old and haggard, but she’s probably better off steering clear of the plastic surgeon’s office. Check out this recent photo of the once-beautiful Joan Kennedy.

Yikes.

AZCoyote on September 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I wonder which came first: the Liberalism or the Face That Will Stop all Clocks??

Liberalism sure is associated with some of the world’s least attractive human beings. Is the cause of this the Liberalism or the unattractivenes…or is there some deeper reason for this…such as the constant lies, delusions, and pursuit of new things to hate that define a Liberal???

landlines on September 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

As a woman, feminism as promoted by Steinem, et al, is nothing more than enforcing control over women and keeping them in line. We are not men, we will never be men so why try to be men?

We are indoctrinated (at least those around my age of 45) to think we can do it all and to walk away from traditional values, that abortion is perfectly okay as it will “get in the way of what we can achieve” and that casual sex is fine because men do it.

Personally, I don’t like (liberal) women in general as people. I put “liberal” there because most that I have disliked follow the feminist mantra of equality. However, they don’t behave like a man would in the same situation. They are mean, catty, backstabbing. Where men would mentor and assist, women would stab each other in the back, insecure that someone else might get something they don’t have.

It is the insecurity inherent in Steinem’s feminism. While most conservative women understand their roles in the world, even while doing a “man’s” job, they also understand the differences. They are generally not insecure or unhappy in their roles or looking for the next shiny best thing.

Feminism is just another master, much like welfare took the place of the plantation boss for blacks.

kim roy on September 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Tina Korbe on September 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Even for us HotAir junkies, that’s obscure. But I completely understand the value of abbreviating that name.

Paul-Cincy on September 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

It is illusory! Don’t believe their propaganda. Sheesh. Does the fact that NOW’s head hag has blown off Suskind’s book tell you nothing?

Akzed on September 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Or, as I like to call her, Debbie “Positive” Wasserman Schultz.

Mary in LA on September 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

@Dusty: Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democratic National Committee Chairwoman. I should have clarified that. Tina Korbe on September 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Just call her Blabbermouth Trollette and we’ll know who you mean.

Akzed on September 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

My maternal grandparents were Leftist academics, but back in the 1930s most Leftist academics didn’t Hate America.

And at the same time that she was becoming one of the first women in the New Hampshire State Legislature, Grandma was perfectly happy sitting in her kitchen cooking what Grandpa grew in his huge vegetable garden.

They both lived long enough to see Americans walk on the Moon, but they would be absolutely aghast at the American Academic Left circa 2011.

And Grandma would be aghast at NOW. In her day to most, abortion was not an option, even if it were legal.

Del Dolemonte on September 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Is the Vagina Monologues still on Broadway? Maybe Michelle can take the girls to that while they are in town.

Hummer53 on September 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I’m borrowing my husband’s account (JIMV) to ask feminists this question: How can you expect me to believe that you are pro-women when you do your best to delete our gender?

As Ms. Korbe very accurately pointed out, there is a difference between working for gender equality (which is commendable) and promoting gender similarity (which is ridiculous). These days, anything that even mildly describes women as females sends modern feminists into fits of hysteria and bouts of black-outs. Actresses must be called ‘actors.’ And don’t call a woman a ‘lady’! Women MUST be like men, if they want to deserve a modicum of respect from modern feminists. HUH? Am I the only one who notices something wrong with this picture?

I thought feminism was all about giving women the rights they deserve as individuals (thak you, MayBee!) regardless of gender. That might have been ‘then.’ ‘Now’ all modern feminists are interested in is taking revenge on the Eeeevil White Male. And heaven help the woman who expresses the same views as Ms. Korbe, or any of the ladies in the site, including me. We are immediately accused of “betraying the cause.”

In short, women are still oppressed. They cannot stray from the “role” modern feminism has decreed for them anymore than they could once stray from the role decreed for them by a paternalistic society. Not w/o facing dire consequences.

Modern feminism has merely exchanged a ‘Master’ for a bunch of bitter, self-loathing ‘Mistresses.’

You’ve come a long way, baby.
__________________

JIMV on September 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Qzsusy on September 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That IS her waistline.

mrt721 on September 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Just how much was that tax payer paid for awesomely not awesome neon get up?

capejasmine on September 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’ll have to turn myself in to Attack Watch after this, but I have described Michelle’s attire habits from the start with one word.

Consider the colors, color combinations, the wide belts, etc., then check out a few appropriate spreads from National Geographic to see the genesis of the “style”.

Her chosen style is best labeled “tribal”.

Yoop on September 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Dim-Witted Socialist, Debbie Downer, The Debster, DWS. On and on…

RDE2010 on September 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Her chosen style is best labeled “tribal”.

Yoop on September 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Which means if we don’t like it, we’re racists, right?

Thought so…

Mary in LA on September 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Age has not been kind to Gloria…

Khun Joe on September 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

My story is very close to yours, mom went to work once we all went to HS. She was a depression child(saved everything)I had to rinse out my sandwich bag and fold my paper bag from lunch for reuse. Mom taught me how to can,bake,cook and clean. Dad taught me how to handle firearms safely and hunt(ducks,pheasant,turkey,deer,elk and of course varmints). One of my proudest moments, bagging a 800LB elk and yes we ate on that elk for a long time.

IowaWoman on September 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Qzsusy on September 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Does this belt make my hips look smaller?

Franklyn on September 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM

IowaWoman on September 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM

You got me beat, the biggest thing I ever shot were birds and small game. The best part for me was training the dogs. Oh my older brother dragged me hunting and I shot squirrels and rabbits, but he wouldn’t take me deer hunting. Now fishing is another story.
But that isn’t all of it. What’s missing for women today is a well-rounded life experience. Depending on the company, people are still shocked when I bring up filleting fish and cleaning a grouse and heavy metal music. Or the opposite, when I talk about my love of Vivaldi and astronomy and math or worse yet, opera. I think we have become too specialized and marginalized in our life experiences, and it shows.

Deanna on September 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Who ever told Michele Obama that 6 inch belt look was fab?

ctmom on September 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Qzsusy on September 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That IS her waistline.

mrt721 on September 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Regarding those ^^ and all the many others who remarked here about that big-high-chest-belt Michelle Obama wears…

I agree that it’s preposterously unexplicable: makes no fashion sense, looks horrible, is inexplicable as to why she (or anyone else) would apply such a gizmo to their body…

BUT I have my theories. First off, I perceived the belt-gizmo as a sort of (forgive me, sorry) “homage” to the bomber-belt people (because the first time M.O. appeared on stage, photographed, with that gizmo was when she wore with it an Iran-green top or sweater belted by a black chest-wide-belt-gizmo) and she looked quite directly to be broadcasting affiliation with the Iran-bomber-belt mess.

HOWEVER, I’ve since had some other thoughts about that recurring, frequently seen chest-high-belt-gizmo she wears so often: I THINK it just might be some sort of rig, or ‘helper’ thing to assist concealing something else. Whether she’s hoisting something up inside her clothing that needs to be secured against otherwise “surprise reveals” in the public eye, or whatever, I think it’s a prop, some sort of tool she uses to keep something else in place.

It makes absolutely no sense otherwise and no one with even the smallest tad of fashion sense would ever let her out the door dressed with that frequently applied gizmo around her chest.

It may also be her own misguided if not ridiculous effort to “make her waist look up there” and smaller (around ribs, smaller) than around her actual waist, which is much wider and would be shown to be such if she actually wore a belt on the waist and not around her ribcage.

Likely a lot of both. But I go with the “it’s a rig” theory first — I think she’s using these big ole’ chest belts to hold or secure something on her body that’s concealed from the public eye. What that might be, I have no idea.

Lourdes on September 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Connie on September 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Yes, I agree with you. I’ve never self-applied (or been labelled by anyone else) the term, “feminist” and it boggles me why it’s even necessary, or even what it means other than it’s calling oneself a Marxist among other things.

I’ve always worked, received a very good education which I paid for mostly by my own blood, sweat and anxiety, fended for myself and shared my resources openly and without reservation with those I love. And I agree that women are not one voting block and that it’s somewhat insulting to adddress us as such. There are women I like, there are men I like, there are women I don’t care for and there are men I don’t care for but it’s never because I first examine their gender — it’s because they are nice and considerate women or men and because they are creepy and offensive women or men, respectively.

Lourdes on September 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

RedNewEnglander on September 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, absolutely. I had a great comment that disappeared last week just because I had the “W” word with double “o”s and a “k” in it. Sad but undeniable.

ExpressoBold on September 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Tell me you wear pearls while baking…please….?

BobMbx on September 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

That’s smarmy and disgusting. You should be ashamed.
/s

ExpressoBold on September 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I didn’t know that today is Halloween.

Schadenfreude on September 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Think her dress is ugly? Have ya’ll looked at the friggin country lately?

I leave people’s families alone.

IlikedAUH2O on September 21, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Michellda Marcos and the Neon Dress of DOOM!

theflyonthewall on September 21, 2011 at 3:02 AM

My definition of feminism is the choice to be and do what you want. Being a full time wife and Mom are full time jobs, and if society lost either we’d be very sorry indeed.

Yes that outfit was hideous. The dress wasn’t too bad, it was the poor choice of accessories. lose the yellow cardigan for a coral color, linen, fitted, princess seemed, one button blazer no belt needed. Or a coral cardigan to pick up the colors in the dress. The belt just is awful. Also a long lassoed type necklace with some beading detail would elongate her and de emphasize the hips. Geeze been watching “What Not To Wear” often these days.

The dress she chose for the fundraiser looked like she just took curtains or a bedspread out and draped it around her.

Just my opinion.

pabo on September 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Just my opinion.

pabo on September 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM

She did it better.

SKYFOX on September 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Just my opinion.

pabo on September 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM

She did it better.

SKYFOX on September 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM

OMG that was hilarious!

pabo on September 21, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Actually the yellow sweater and print dress combo was not that bad. I think it would be hard for MO to out do the horrific pumpkin dress with the mold-green jacket she wore when reality TV was at the WH for a cook off! Now that get up looked like a mistake a color blind designer could love.

As to the death of femininity, some of us are determined not to let the Left dictate the terms of our lives. I dress and act like a woman even though I work full time and am responsible for the welfare of my family. And, I am happy to report, my only grandchild is cared for by his mother, who is a full time mommy! It is not easy, but since it is right, they make it work. Gloria S only wins if we let her.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on September 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM