Study claims RomneyCare cost MA more than 18,000 jobs

posted at 12:45 pm on September 15, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney has tried to accomplish two tasks in his debate performances — defend his health-care overhaul in Massachusetts known as MassCare but often called RomneyCare, and tout his record as a governor whose policies fostered job creation in the state.  A new study by a conservative think tank at Suffolk University will complicate both strategies.  According to the Boston Herald, the study shows that MassCare cost the state more than 18,000 jobs since its enactment:

The Bay State’s controversial 2006 universal health-care plan — also known as “Romneycare” — has cost Massachusetts more than 18,000 jobs, according to an exclusive blockbuster study that could provide ammo to GOP rivals of former Gov. Mitt Romney as he touts his job-creating chops on the campaign trail.

“Mandating health insurance coverage and expanding the demand for health services without increasing supply drove up costs. Economics 101 tells us that,” said Paul Bachman, research director at Suffolk University’s Beacon Hill Institute, the conservative think tank that conducted the study. The Herald obtained an exclusive copy of the findings.

“The ‘shared sacrifice’ needed to provide universal health care includes a net loss of jobs, which is attributable to the higher costs that the measure imposed,” said David Tuerck, the institute’s executive director.

It’s not the only cost imposed on Massachusetts, either.  The study claims that MassCare increased health insurance costs by over $4.3 billion dollars and kept more than a quarter-billion dollars of outside investment from taking place over the last five years.  Moreover, the Beacon Hill Institute disagrees with Romney that there are significant differences between the system he signed into law and the one Obama signed into law on the national level:

“We think it’s very pertinent and very similar to the health-care law that was passed nationally — it’s a case study,” Bachman said. “This is what happened in Massachusetts, and this is what can be expected from the national health-care act.”

Costs didn’t just escalate for Massachusetts residents and businesses, either.  The study concludes that the federal government “heavily subsidized” the costs of MassCare through “billions of dollars” in Medicaid waivers.

Romney has tried to sell this plan as a cost-containment measure that didn’t provide a template for ObamaCare.  This study undermines both arguments, and makes the case that Romney’s signature achievement as governor ended up looking something like the outcome from Obama’s – higher costs and fewer jobs.  It will be interesting to see how Romney defends this in the next debate, which may well become the kind of pile-on for him that we saw on Perry Monday after the release of this report.  Romney has a week to prepare a rebuttal, though, and he won’t come into the debate unprepared.

Comments

The only way the government can ever cut costs in any sector of the economy is to outlaw said sector. Otherwise get the flock out of the way!

Romney is too cute by half. Moron.

NotCoach on September 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Mitt’s never apologized.

Not that I’d accept it anyway.

portlandon on September 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

“I like mandates.” – Mitt Romney.

kingsjester on September 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Say “good night”, Mittens!! You are now officially out of consideration for the VP slot… as if you were ever in it!!

Khun Joe on September 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM

‘Studies’ are like ‘polls’, good only for dancing around while drunk and half naked.

Skandia Recluse on September 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Soft, soft underbelly. There for the taking, Rick.

a capella on September 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You’ve all been reported to protectmitt.com

fossten on September 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Don’t let this Trojan Horse through the gate.

Don’t let fear of an Obama second term drive you to vote for this man. He will betray & grievously damage conservatism.

Bat Chain Puller on September 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

ObamneyCare at work. This is why it would be difficult to vote for him even in the general election

ConservativePartyNow on September 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Beacon Hill Institute, the conservative think tank that conducted the study

Pretty much all you need to know here.

Constantine on September 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

He wanted to marry a couple more young girls anyway.

2Tru2Tru on September 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Mitt’s never apologized.

Not that I’d accept it anyway.

portlandon on September 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Not only has he not apologized, he’s still defending it. This is from his inteview with O’Reilly Tuesday night:

O’REILLY: All right. How are you going to convince conservatives, who are suspect of you — not all of them, but some of the — because you did the individual mandate in Massachusetts about the health care. Conservatives, that drives them nuts. They say that the government, state and federal, has no right to force anybody to buy anything. How are you going to convince those people that they should support you?

ROMNEY: Well, the government, of course, has a lot of mandates, and I know folks don’t like that. But mandates kids go to school, mandates they have to have auto insurance if you have an automobile. And my conservative friends say, “Well, we don’t have to have automobiles.” And it’s like, what state do you live in? Of course you have to have automobiles in this nation. And the plan that we put in place was one that was put together by Republicans and Democrats. It works for Massachusetts. Obamacare, however, is unconstitutional, will not work, is massively expensive. I will repeal it. By the way, I had this same position four years ago.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/2011/09/14/romney-factor-no-perry-beef-obamas-iran-failure-and-states-right-mandate#ixzz1Y2aoen8E

Not only is he claiming it works, but he’s using the laughably phony automobile insurance argument to defend it.

flyfisher on September 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I have reported this to FlipFlopWatch.com

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Romney cannot run against Obama with this complete failure around his neck.

It would disarm the Republican Party of one of its best attacks on Obama.

To support Romney now is to endorse Obama for 2012.

portlandon on September 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Pretty much all you need to know here.

Constantine on September 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Why? Because anyone with a disagreement from your Obama dog-washing talking points can never possibly be correct?

Chuck Schick on September 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

He wanted to marry a couple more young girls anyway.

2Tru2Tru on September 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

What?

gophergirl on September 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Study claims RomneyCare cost MA more than 18,000 jobs
Mini ObamaCare…

RalphyBoy on September 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Game, set and match!

technopeasant on September 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Study claims RomneyCare cost MA more than 18,000 jobs

yeah, but how many more did he save lool :-)…and this is the man that ‘beat’ Perry in the last debate according to our wise punditry? oh, well…

jimver on September 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I have no job. I am not in his state. How does this factor?

betsyz on September 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

How can someone who seeks to grow Government and propagate their intrusion into our daily lives be considered a “Conservative”?

Ain’t no way.

kingsjester on September 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I like to hammer Romney as much as the next guy, but this “study” of job losses is BS. They “ran it through a computer model”.

I’m calling BS.

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Does this take into account the fact that he heavily democratic state legislature would have passed a far more radical healthplan if it wasn’t for Romney? Maybe they should take that into account and calculate how many jobs were saved by Romneycare

TheQuestion on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Also, can’t afford rent, food, Michelle’s vacation bills, this A-Rod-Diaz breakup thingy. It is all too much.

betsyz on September 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Ain’t no way.

kingsjester on September 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

According to Mitt it’s conservative as long as it’s the state government growing and intruding, not the federal government.

flyfisher on September 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Obama. 39%. Gallup. Assemble.

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Romneycare is the flaming tire around Mitt’s neck.

He needs to realize this sooner rather than later and get out of the race for the top slot.

I’d be happy to see Mitt as a VP, or Sec Commerce, or Sec Treas. Then, if he can get through that without a major screwup, then. . . and only then, could I consider him for POTUS.

He’s young enough to let others crush Obamacare and then run for POTUS later. Additionally, he’s been out of office for so long that he needs some time back in government to prove to us he’s not just another Taxachusettes politician.

Jason Coleman on September 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM

TheQuestion on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

That sounds like Obama-logic.

Y-not on September 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I have no job. I am not in his state. How does this factor?

betsyz on September 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

RomneyCare is subsidized by the Federal Government.

We all are on the hook for it.

portlandon on September 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Unique lights in the sky in Arizona. What, there is a presence out there superior to us….. no effing way. We, if not super-dumb, are smart, just look at what we elected. Hello.

betsyz on September 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

TheQuestion on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

And remember that Romney tried to veto something like 8 different parts of the “RomneyCare” bill that he didn’t like, but the MA Democrats overrode them all.

Del Dolemonte on September 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM

As someone who is leaning toward support for Romney… I’d like to argue that Romneycare should have at least been an indication to Obama that bringing it nationally was a bad idea. Obama’s been on record saying that he modeled it off of Massachusetts.

The MA healthcare thing does disturb me as a potential voter. But I’ve always refused to rule out candidates based on single issues alone – and he mitigates Romneycare with his support for repealing Obamacare. It’s not a perfect picture (which is why I initially supported Pawlenty), but it’ll have to do.

Red Cloud on September 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

So long mitt!

tinkerthinker on September 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

The EU is in deep trouble, the US is in deep trouble…barry is pushing windmills and solar and punishing oil, coal and nuke (yucca). Barry is doing all the leftie program that they want. And no, these are no cute little misguided people, they are people with the power to bring our country to a stop.

Romney would be perfectly able to roll back the leftists dreams. And that is the main task of the next president

r keller on September 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Does any one notice the people with jobs. They seem to be mainly on the t.v. sets.

betsyz on September 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM

There are 3 types of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Studies!

I’m calling B.S. on this one as well.

joncoltonis on September 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

r keller on September 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I’ll stay home, thanks.

portlandon on September 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Goose. Cooked.

LordMaximus on September 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

I will fight for Perry, but you’re damn right that I will vote for the GOP nominee against that disaster in the WH now. Doesn’t mean I am not going to oppose them all until that time. I like my guy and this is primary season – this is where the weeding out happens.

XWing5 on September 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM

There are 3 types of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Studies!

I’m calling B.S. on this one as well.

joncoltonis on September 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Are you and “Sheryl” the same person? I’ve read elsewhere that she has a sock-puppet.

flyfisher on September 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

This very short video/song suits Mitt’s campaign nicely

Insert “Mitt” for “Toby”

LordMaximus on September 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

r keller on September 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I will. A slow bleed out is preferable to a gashed carotid,…I guess.

a capella on September 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

yay! Huckabee Perry 2012

gatorboy on September 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

That’s exactly how he said it, with the emphasis on the word ‘conservative.’

Sort of like saying, “Some of my best friends are conservatives.”

That was a Freudian slip, folks.

Mitt doesn’t view himself as a conservative.

fossten on September 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

The Republican nominee (except Paul) would get my family’s vote.

Mitt won’t get any cash from us, nor any volunteer hours out of us.

I don’t see Mitt as a solution to the nation’s current problem but rather the burden would then go to Congress with the hope that Mitt won’t veto. Do I think Mitt would lead the charge against O-care after election. . . no way.

There are at least 3 current candidates who would get significant donations and work out of my family, from youngest to oldest, we’re prepared to go out and work for this election. We just won’t do it for Mitt. He’ll have our vote, but not necessarily our support.

I probably wouldn’t even go as far as to put a Mitt bumper sticker on.

Taxachusettes Liberal Republican. . . . sorry, don’t want em or need em.

Again. . . Mitt for Sec Treas or Sec Commerce, no problem. Even Fed Chair, no problem. POTUS in 2012. . . big problem.

Jason Coleman on September 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I’m no Mittbot, and I won’t vote for him in a primary, but one thing that I remember reading about Romneycare — the corrupt Dems in the Mass. legislature loaded up the bill with a bunch of stuff very likely distorted what was originally proposed into the current mess.
Show me what the original, pre-corrupt Dems version of Romneycare was like.
I may still be strongly opposed to it after I’ve seen it, but I still would like to see it.

either orr on September 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I’m calling BS.

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Well, models aren’t always accurate – but it’s clear that RomneyCare has destroyed the Mass state economy. It’s clear that employers have left the state. It’s pretty clear that this cost Mass a lot of jobs.

So in all, you could argue about the specific “number” of jobs lost – but not the fact that RomneyCare has left Mass in a shambles.

HondaV65 on September 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

either orr on September 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

See my 1:10 PM post

Del Dolemonte on September 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Mittens flip flops and turns inside out in 3, 2, 1……

BTW I know 5 people who do not drive, and never owned a car. Until there is a gov’t mandate to own a car (like a totally cool energy efficeint Chevy Volt), then the state doesn’t really mandate auto insurance for everyone. Some states do not even require “auto insurance” per se but allow a bond to be posted with DMV for the amount of mimimum limit of liability required by the state. These folks usually insure themselves handle their own claims etc. etc.

If I had to choose btwn Mittens and Perry, I’d say Perry is closest to the small gov’t candidate I’m looking for. RomneyCare is just too hard to overlook.

kringeesmom on September 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

Nope. And his continued defense of Romneycare is exactly why.

Vancomycin on September 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I’m calling BS.

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

You can call BS all you want but it’s pretty accurate. I live in NH and when I get work its usually in mass.

Many companies are fleeing the state, like Fidelity. They have just laid off 7000. I know of several others.

Go to the understaffed unemployment offices and ask the people working there who have to take the brunt of the anger people are feeling. Look at the lines outside and around the block.

Talk to the people who line up at 0600 to get inside offices that open at 0800 hoping to see somebody. I was one of those people.

Everyone in Mass and NH can see that Romneycare is destroying Mass.

If you want more details listen to WRKO (.com) from 3 – 7 pm. Howie Carr will fill you in. Or you could read the Boston Herald.

dogsoldier on September 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

18000 jobs out of 6.5 million MA residens, then thats like 900000 jobs out of 308 million U.S. …shortly after obamacare takes effect, and probably more than that.

maineconservative on September 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Everyone in Mass and NH can see that Romneycare is destroying Mass.

dogsoldier on September 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Agree. I live in Mass. The anecdotal evidence is that it is absolutely killing small businesses, forcing them to either go out of business, or go “under the table.” They simply can’t afford to provide the mandated health insurance…

Another anecdote — it has turned emergency rooms into the “primary care clinics” for every sneeze, sniffle and fever that’s encountered…

OnlyOrange on September 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Howie Carr listener here too dogsoldier, we get it on WVOM 103.9 fm instead of WRKO am 680. Best conservative talk show on the radio imo.

maineconservative on September 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Romney was a Republican Governor with a Democrat house and Senate. It’s only a braindead moron that would think you would have a convervative bill pass on anything under those circumstances. Romney made proposals, the house and senate passed what they wanted. He signed 8 vetos which were quickly overridden.

Logic would tell you that “healthcare reform” signed by a Gov. Romney in a state with a conservative legislature would have looked much different.

tmedlin on September 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM

It looks like it will be Perry or Romney…Perry’s got MAJOR issues with immigration, Romney, with Romneycare. Sucks to be us. Had high hopes for Herman Cain…sigh….

tmedlin on September 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Logic would also tell you that, while on the campaign trail he could say “look, Masscare was basically forced on the state by the democrats in the state leg. I didn’t like it, it was and is terrible…(etc etc).” but he doesn’t do that. He likes Romneycare. He thinks it’s great.

No thanks.

Vancomycin on September 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Dog Soldier, Maine Conservative listen to Howie here in Boston….He is a riot. Can’t wait til he starts blasting Lizzie Warren, she was asked if she could name one Red Sox, she couldn’t. Visions of Marsha 2.0

Ricki on September 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

dogsoldier on September 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I am familiar with a company that has to decided to fold their entire Mass operation into one of their facilities in the South. I’ve never heard anyone blame the decision directly on RomneyCare. Instead the CFO said they have been “forced to seek a more competitive environment.” A handful of executives will be moved, but thousands will be out of work.

flyfisher on September 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Romney’s defense to this will be:

“hey, it’s not like Obama can use this to attack me, so I’m STILL the most electable! Nah Nah.”

Daemonocracy on September 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Ricki on September 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Howie is on vacation this week. Col. David Hunt (who is a regular on FOX) is filling in. They’re old buddies from Maine.

Del Dolemonte on September 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

You know who this helps, right? ::snicker::

apostic on September 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

tmedlin on September 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Why sign antthing into law? Why not veto every health care plan put forward by the democrat legislature. At least he would be able to say he agrees with conservatives and that he vetoed MassCare.

Vince on September 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM

When Mitt Romney left the Governor’s office in Mass, the unemployment record in that state was 4.7%. That is a pretty good jobs record.

I also think that Romney has tried to make the point that this was the best plan he could get with a Democratic liberal legislature.

Maybe, that is true. But I think that if he had it to do over again, he would change things. Whatever he might say now.

But all of these people with records are going to have something in there that they would like to change.

Terrye on September 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM

It is worth noting that Mitch Daniels pushed for health savings accounts here in Indiana..he gave government workers the choice of paying more for their health care or going with health savings accounts..and yet a lot of people called him a RINO.

In truth I don’t think that actual policy has that much to do with whether or not the base loves someone or not…I think that a lot of times it is about the personality of the person and whether or not they are perceived as tough or in your face or whatever.

Terrye on September 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Mitt lied, jobs died

AH_C on September 15, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Terrye on September 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM

How do you discern that considering Mittwit wrote “No Apologies” and in places here and there, inisists he got it right and Obama didn’t vis a vis mandated HC?

AH_C on September 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

the bill willard signed had the mandate in it and he did not veto that odious assault on personal rights because clearly he does not give a f about the constitution or personal liberty. he just tepidly stated at the time that he sort of maybe did not agree with it and would have preferred to mandate, instead, that if people did not have insurance they would be required by the totalitarian democracy of the state of MA to maintain a savings account of a certain amount ( i want to say 10,000 dollars but i just can’t remember. but romenycare itself made healthcare savings accounts illegal- meaning they do not constitute “good” insurance under the law. MA already had the highest insurance and healthcare costs in the nation so thinking those who simply could not afford cadillac insurance would have 10 thou lying about… and those who had health savings accounts that served them well previously- you know they weren’t the mythical free riders shirking personal responsibility that kept willard up at night all worried – found themselves fined for having bad nonsocialist insurance that wasn’t filled up with lobbyist boondoggles approved by the insurance company hacks on the Connector panel. ).

not once in the whole rather quiet and uncontested passing of romenycare did anyone address the lack of ‘ personal responsibility’ of illegals swamping the ER’s and being given MA Free Care as being part of the problem in the healthcare system, driving up costs for everyone. now the ERs are flooded as well with insurance carrying actual americans who can’t find a primary care doctor( most are no longer taking patients) or can’t get appointments for minor issues for months, months that might turn small problems into major ones.

if willard had any integrity and any conservative principles that were real instead of showpieces to be whipped out in the red states, he would have vetoed the whole thing. it would have passed anyway so what would have been lost? he might have had a chance to be president and obama might have never had the push necessary to pass bambicare. and MA might not be drowning in debt- having had a surplus when romney became gov.

MA lost a congressional seat- people have been fleeing the state since the passage of brave sir willard’s bill of personal responsibility. that’s not ‘anecdotal” that is a fact.

this is the law mitty-kins signed- it includes notes of what he vetoed-

mittens on September 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I assume everyone posting will vote for Romney if he’s the candidate….right?

r keller on September 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

No! Why give Obama-lite the imprimatur of conservative principles? I know that the typical republican would, but I’m conservative first, then republican; and only when we meet eye to eye on 80% of the issues. No more voting for the lesser of two evils.

AH_C on September 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Romney still stands by his Health Care decision, but he criticizes Gov. Perry for his mandate of Gardasil. At least his had an Opt Out and it never went into effect in Texas. Since that time Gov. Perry has explained and apologized and said the mandate was not the best way.

If Romney wants any credibility on this issue, apologize and admit this mandate was not in the best interest of the people.

Oh, not everyone has an automobile and therefore does not need auto insurance. So don’t use that as anything similar.

bluefox on September 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM

this is the law mitty-kins signed- it includes notes of what he vetoed-

mittens on September 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I don’t have time to read the link you posted, but intend to. What you have posted tho is a lot more info and if what you state is true, it doesn’t sound helpful.

I don’t know how MA works, but in my State if one goes to the ER and does not have insurance they are treated of course. However, they are sent a bill and if not paid, the collection process is started. This includes court action and garnishment of wages, etc.

What I had heard from Romney is that people that had money and jobs but didn’t want to buy Medical Insurance were overloading the ER’s for free. That never made sense to me.

bluefox on September 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I’d like to hear Romney’s response to this “study.” It sounds like a hit piece. If you limit the state’s expenses for health care, doesn’t it stand to reason that jobs will be lost? You can’t increase jobs and cut costs at the same time. This doesn’t smell right.

Meanwhile, what I’ve seen of Rick Perry doesn’t reassure me at all. He reminds me a lot of Tom Delay.

flataffect on September 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM