Kiss of death: Jimmy Carter says he’d be “very pleased” to see Romney as GOP nominee

posted at 8:03 pm on September 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Rick Perry wins GOP nomination.”

“I’m not taking a position, but I would be very pleased to see him win the Republican nomination,” Carter said on an interview on MSNBC set to air Thursday night.

Carter also said he appreciated that Rep. Bachmann (R-Minn.) worked on Carter’s presidential campaign in 1976. Bachmann has mentioned how she was a Democrat during college but switched parties after because she disagreed with certain foreign and domestic policies of the left.

“I know, and I appreciate that she helped me out!,” Carter said.

Carter expressed confidence that Obama would be reelected.

Just to make this extra squirm-inducing for Romney, when I googled Carter looking for more details on this interview, the first thing that popped up was him saying two days ago that he supports the Palestinians’ statehood bid at the UN next week. Of course. Oh, and this isn’t the first time he’s praised a Republican candidate this year. Back in May, he also had high praise for — ta da — Jon Huntsman, whom he said is “very attractive to me personally.” According to the most recent Gallup poll, Huntsman’s also the only candidate in the field whose “positive intensity” score is actually … negative. Dude, one word: Gamechanger.

The only good news for Mitt is that this isn’t the biggest quasi-endorsement of the day. Via the Daily Caller, here’s the one that deserves the headlines — the man who writes the songs that make the whole world sing throwing his support to The Only Man Who Can Save America. Paul, in fact, was one of five candidates to whom Manilow maxed out his donation in 2007. The other four were Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, and even Joe Biden. Go figure. Here’s the text of the bill he was on the Hill today to support. Exit question: Is Ron “Dr. No” Paul really going to vote for that?

Comments

Jimmy Carter says he’d be “very pleased” to see Romney as GOP nominee

Doesn’t surprise me.
With Obama so far left, even Carter is a conservative.

Electrongod on September 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM

LOL Oh my gosh this is so funny.

Elisa on September 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM

LOL, as humorous as this is and as suspicious as I am of Romney, who Jimmy Carter endorses means nothing. It will be a funny zing in the next debate, but it’s only good for a few laughs.

Daemonocracy on September 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Yay.
I hope this hurts Romney. Hurts bad.
I can’t stand the thought of him as POTUS.

Bachman – gone
Romney- hopefully next to be gone

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Carter expressed confidence that Obama would be reelected.

Sadly, he’s probably right. (:

OldEnglish on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Jimmy Carter is history’s greatest monster!

rbj on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Jon Huntsman hardest hit.

Cicero43 on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

This is the most stupid thing I have read all day, no offense to anyone.

Chudi on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Oh Barry! Ron Paul???????

Still has good music though.

gophergirl on September 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

OldEnglish on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

No way! Not without ACORN and other cheating going on.
NO WAY he gets reelected.

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

That is going to leave a mark…

… a “skid mark” to be sure.

Seven Percent Solution on September 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Sometimes, an old fashion “dumb bomb” makes a direct hit.

Captain Kirock on September 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Buy stocks in diapers and Kleenex products. The left and the right will need both in the next 2-3 weeks.

Carter knows that if Obama is beaten he will no longer be the “worst president” in a long time.

Schadenfreude on September 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Poor mitt

Heh

cmsinaz on September 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Well this settles it: Bachmann’s ruined!

Sincerely,

Perry’s Cherries

Metro on September 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

If I were Romney I’d drag along Jimmy Carter to Tea Party rallies before Meggie Mac.

Marcus on September 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I hope this hurts Romney. Hurts bad.
I can’t stand the thought of him as POTUS.

Bachman – gone
Romney- hopefully next to be gone

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Keep dreaming….

Romney and Perry are going to fight this to the very end, and odds are both names will be on the general election ticket.

haner on September 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I admire your positive attitude, but I have much difficulty in following suit.

OldEnglish on September 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

“I know, and I appreciate that she helped me out!,” Carter said.

Carter expressed confidence that Obama would be reelected.

Don’t like Romney at all, but that sounds like a very politically targeted message to me.

sharrukin on September 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Carter is a blind man throwing darts. If he manages to hit the board it means nothing. His “endorsement” doesn’t count as a data point, pro or con.

MJBrutus on September 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM

This is an outrage. Apparently Carter doesn’t realize that Romney would be the most conservative President since Reagan.

TheQuestion on September 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Doomed!

Mason on September 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM

He must think that if Mittens wins that he and Obama will only be the 3rd and 2nd worst presidents in history.

chemman on September 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM

This should come as no surprise. It’s common knowledge that Jimmeh and Mister Mittster fought side-by-side in the trenches during “The Rabbit Wars.”
/*for those who need it*

predator on September 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM

“..where’s your laughing place at, Br’er Rabbit?”

(..woulda used the Tar Baby, but..)

The War Planner on September 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM

“Back in May, he also had high praise for — ta da — Jon Huntsman, whom he said is “very attractive to me personally.”

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww…

Seven Percent Solution on September 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Carter expressed confidence that Obama would be reelected.

..call Rosalyn, Jimmah, it’s time to change your Depends.

The War Planner on September 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Oh…that HURT!

It’s over Romney.

Perry should just use it as his game changing talking point.

Opposite Day on September 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Carter further explained that he had looked at Huntsman with lust, and had committed adultery in his heart.

windansea on September 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Bachmann worked for Jimmy Carter… my goodness that is unfortunate… on top of working for the IRS. Sheesh. and Jimmeh is Smitten with Mittens….. LMOA

maineconservative on September 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Hmmm, so Jimmy and Al Gore both endorsed Romney. Tells me that they are following the old Dem playbook to the letter. Endorse the guy you are most afraid of, and spoil him for the Indeps and Republicans. *yawn*

di butler on September 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww…

Seven Percent Solution on September 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I second that: Eeeewwwwwwwwwww…

maineconservative on September 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM

“Carter endorses Romney? Ugh. I know who this doesn’t help.”

Stuff Hugh Hewitt Thinks But Cannot Say, Vol. I

AnonymousDrivel on September 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM

TheQuestion on September 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Know who else doesn’t realize that? Approximately everybody.

It’s impossible to guess how Mitt “finger to the wind” Romney would govern, and that’s the problem many of us have with him.

Hollowpoint on September 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I consider this a plus… conservatives should want the most ideological conservative they can get that liberals don’t fear. The problem with Rick Perry(and I was an early supporter of him getting in) is that he screwed up his introduction. He had this primary won by just entering the race… and the only way he was going to lose the primary is if the general election was a big issue. He should have been running for the general election from Day 1… and I’m disappointed that he still hasn’t put out a detailed economic plan.

Tea Partiers and Christians(non-Mormons…) should want Romney…

1. Perry has the potential to completely kill the TEA Party movement… ironically because he’s too closely aligned with it. With Romney, the insurgent dynamic can keep going and the Tea Party can remain a force…
2. Do Christians want a return of the demonization that happened with the Bush Admin? Quite honestly, I think we’ll get better rulings on Gay Marriage and Abortion from SCOTUS with Romney in the white house… and I think Romney will actually make a better advocate for federalism than Perry will… ironically, because RomneyCare was nationalized.

ninjapirate on September 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Politics makes strange bedfellows, and no politician has ever been stranger than the Super Proud Baptist Deacon from Plains, Georgia.

He refuses to lower himself to go along with ordinary folks. And he sees something of himself in the two rich by inheritance Mormons. Go figure.

jimw on September 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Is Ron “Dr. No” Paul really going to vote for that?

I doubt it.

But never underestimate the power of Barry Manilow. After all, he is MU-SIC…

… and he writes the soooooonnnnnnggggggss.

JohnGalt23 on September 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, that had to be painful, but not as painful as when Hamas endorsed PBHO.

Bishop on September 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Oh Barry! Ron Paul???????

Still has good music though.

gophergirl on September 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

He has excellent taste in statesmen.

Music, on the other hand…

JohnGalt23 on September 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Great, so now we have a three way race between Obama, Bush Perry and Carter Romney… just what America needed.

/We’re so screwed….

FloatingRock on September 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I wish Mr. Manilow well…

… It sounds like if he tried to sing again, it would kill him.

Sad…

Seven Percent Solution on September 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I don’t care about a word that comes out of that washed-up old fool’s mouth. There are lots of reasons not to support Romney; this is not one of them.

fed-nad on September 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Endorsed by Jimmy Carter. A fate worse than death. Should tell you all you need to know about Mitt.

curved space on September 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Reverse psychology !!. Jimmie praising him is bring Romney down among the Republicans base. Tomorrow, you will have Harry Reid praising Perry.

bayview on September 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM

He has excellent taste in statesmen.

Music, on the other hand…

JohnGalt23 on September 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Hey – no slamming Manilow!

gophergirl on September 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

sharrukin on September 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM

If Carter had all his marbles, it would be

MJBrutus on September 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Heh. Carter left out why he likes Romney. I would be curious.

I don’t dislike Romney. I don’t have any big reason to dislike Romney, and I have quite a few reasons to like him. The only major complaint is his idea he is going to save the middle class by not taxing interest and captial gains. This shows he thinks middle class folk are those who have a couple hundred grand in the bank from grandma’s estate, and a chunky stock option portfolio from their middle management job at GM.

Someone needs to tell Romney the public thinks ‘middle class’ means an upside down mortgage, not enough in the bank to pay the next property tax, and a tooth that hasn’t been capped in five years, because the car blew a head gasket and needs a rebuild

I think Romney would catch on fast.

Carter is past help

entagor on September 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Alternate headline: “Rick Perry wins GOP nomination.”

Some more alternate headlines:

- “Carter hoping 2nd Obama term breaks tie on ‘Worst Presidents’ list”
- “Carter seeks 3rd term”
- “GOP Whigged again”

Steve Eggleston on September 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I’m going to bet Perry voted for Carter twice. Both Mitt and Rick show people can learn from their mistakes, and that politicians will change their stripes as it suits their political careers.

Ted Torgerson on September 15, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Carter may be a lot of things–sometimes malicious, self-aggrandizing, narrow, bigoted, petty–but stupid isn’t one of them. He knows how he is viewed by Republicans, conservatives especially. For a Republican politician, a Carter endorsement is like a kiss from the Antichrist. Thus, Carter views the more moderate Mitt Romney as a genuine threat to President Obama and probably thinks Rick Perry is too conservative, too identified with the Tea Party, too Texas to attract the crucial independent vote.

Of course, Carter himself was soundly trounced by a conservative Republican, so so much for that strategy. His memory is, after all, incredibly selective.

troyriser_gopftw on September 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

If Romney doesn’t come out strongly and smash Carter about the head and shoulders with everything but the kitchen sink. . .

Ok, Romney’s done.

Thanks President Carter (I never thought I’d ever say that.)

Jason Coleman on September 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Sadly, he’s probably right. (:

OldEnglish on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Yeah, I’m tending to agree.

lorien1973 on September 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Sadly, he’s probably right. (:

OldEnglish on September 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Yeah, I’m tending to agree.

lorien1973 on September 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I don’t think he has a chance personally!

bluemarlin on September 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM

why are we talking about this? Carter is over 85 years old…did you know that half the people over 85 show the effects of Alzheimer’s???

r keller on September 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Why wouldn’t Carter support Romney……..they are both BIG GOV Progressives?

And as for the earlier post about a possible PERRY / ROMNEY ticket in 2012?

I would not be surprised. I’ve been telling anyone that will listen/read that if Perry can raise $30 million for yet another turn in the Governors Mansion there is no doubt that PERRY IS ALL ESTABLISHMENT, ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Perry is a USED CAR SALESMAN. We APPARENTLY are stupid enough to buy this AGAIN (having fell for both Bushes being “conservative”).

If Perry is a Open Borders, Trans Texas Corridor, career politician with a fondness for the “New World Order” and Free trade (code for American businesses abandoning the U.S. and for FOREIGN TRADE ZONES (like the one in Idaho where the Chinese Communists want to build a power plant, Google it) kind of guy……..why wouldn’t he pick Romney?

OVER THE CLIFF with Perry at 45 MPH or over at 100 MPH with OBAMA?

PappyD61 on September 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM

ninjapirate on September 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I hope you remembered to flush after excreting that load from your system.

Freelancer on September 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Petunia hardest hit.

fossten on September 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM

LOL…..so, Obama wants to see Rick Perry as the nominee.

sheryl on September 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I’ve made the necessary notification of Carters’ support of a GOPer to AttachWatch.

BobMbx on September 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Oh dear heavens… *gulp*

The Ugly American on September 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Sounds like Carter is just as senile at Pat Robertson these days. It’s OK to divorce your spouse if they have alzheimer’s? Really Pat? So the words “in sickness and in health” don’t apply to mental illness? Nice.

parteagirl on September 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Nice reverse psychology, Jimmy. Of course he’d support fellow Bilderberger, Rick Perry.

iamse7en on September 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM

LOL…..so, Obama wants to see Rick Perry as the nominee.

sheryl on September 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM

The old reverse psychology shtick! I will tell them I like Romney and then they will turn on Romney and we will get Perry and then Obama will beat Perry…always thinking that Jimmy is.

If Obama keeps going on the way he is, I think any Republican will beat him.

Terrye on September 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Jimmah would be “very pleased” with Romney as the GOP candidate the same way the Rush would be “very pleased” with Palin as the Dem candidate.

besser tot als rot on September 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Terrye on September 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

He ain’t that smart.

besser tot als rot on September 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Nice reverse psychology, Jimmy.

iamse7en on September 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Yeah … and he really loves Israel too, right?

besser tot als rot on September 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

and hates Chavez and Arafat

besser tot als rot on September 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM

PappyD61 on September 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM

RIght. So what purist are you supporting? Ron Paul?

besser tot als rot on September 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Carter wants the Republican who is polling best against Obama to be the nominee. Okey-dokey.

BocaJuniors on September 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM

With all the high powered, and middle powered people that work from state to state on a presidential campaign, I find it hard to believe that Carter specifically remembers Bachmann from all the way back in 76.

This was info that was dug up, Carter was set out, to be the fox in the hen house. Is this how a Christian man behaves? Carter is far from being a Christian. And I would think a man of his advanced years, who may be close to meeting his maker, would allow himself to behave this way. I’ve never liked him, but always thought he was above this kind of sh!t.

He truly is, as someone else commented….a monster! He’s just out there now, trying to stay relevant, get some attention, and wreak havoc.

capejasmine on September 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM

All of the max outs for Manilow are weak on defense candidates and liberals. Ron Paul fits the bill to a tee.

eaglewingz08 on September 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

TPaw and now Carter…

Gohawgs on September 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM

LMAO!

Tim_CA on September 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

call Rosalyn, Jimmah, it’s time to change your Depends.

The War Planner on September 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I was thinking…pull the plug? O:)

capejasmine on September 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Who care what that old fossil thinks. Seriously does HA need to keep pumping links to opinions of our enemies, articles and clips on their websites, and headlines in their putrid fish wrap print media? We know the enemy. Let’s get on to the important part of prosecuting the criminals and taking back out country.

Kenosha Kid on September 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM

s/out/our

Kenosha Kid on September 16, 2011 at 12:04 AM

di butler on September 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Yeah, AP hasn’t been around the block as many times as some of us here have, so the headfakes tend to work on him much more easily.

whatcat on September 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Welp, I was trying to decide between Romney and Perry. Romney, of course, has Romneycare. But then, Perry has in-state tuition for illegals.

So, it’s kinda six of one and half-a-dozen of another. But I think this tips it – I’ll go for Perry.

Alana on September 16, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Of course, Jimma Carta also was happy to see the Republicans nominate an unelectable Ronald Reagan.

Freddy on September 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Uh, yeah, you can stick a magic underwear fork in ‘em now!

esnap on September 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Ack, who cares. Carter gets lost walking to the local convenience store.

John the Libertarian on September 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Ack, who cares. Carter gets lost walking to the local convenience store.

John the Libertarian on September 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Yes, this. Carter is the crazy grandfather who rants endlessly about nothing at all. Ignore.

Red Cloud on September 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Romney should come out and say that he hates peanuts. That might Carter off of his bandwagon.

Physics Geek on September 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Dude, one word: Gamechanger.

Dude, two words: You wish

Go RBNY on September 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

But never underestimate the power of Barry Manilow. After all, he is MU-SIC…

… and he writes the soooooonnnnnnggggggss.

He actually didn’t write that song. Just a completely worthless piece of music trivia for a gloomy Friday morning.

eyedoc on September 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

entagor on September 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM

That’s the part I LOVE about Romney’s plan. You don’t need 100 large, you need to accumulate 100 large plus. His plan gives people who have had to drained their savings a chance to rebuild. It gives normal people an incentive to invest and save and the means to see to their own future. It empowers us like nothing else!

MJBrutus on September 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Perry should just use it as his game changing talking point.

Opposite Day on September 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM

So Perry should use the words of a Jew hater?

Not in a million years dude. Perry isn’t stupid.

csdeven on September 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM