John Fund: What if a committee of prominent Dems approached Obama and asked him not to run?

posted at 8:48 pm on September 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV, skip ahead to 3:05 for the tasty part. Three months ago this would have been a zero-probability event. Today, with the economy comatose and the world on the precipice of a new European-driven financial crisis? One-percent chance, minimum. Note that Fund’s not talking about a primary challenge here; that would alienate black Democrats and the party would fracture before the general election, so it’s not an option. The only way to dump him and hold the base together would be if he agreed to step down after Democratic chieftains privately appealed to him to do so. And if you believe this Gawker item from a few days ago, there’s reason to think he might consider it. Supposedly The One is so demoralized by his political fortunes that people around him suspect he might be clinically depressed. If things are as bad as that, he might relish the chance to hand his re-election campaign off to someone else (and we all know who “someone else” is) and be rid of the frustration. You can imagine the announcement speech: “I’ve said many times that I’d rather be a good one-term president than a mediocre two-termer. I think I’ve achieved that in the passage of our landmark new health-care law and our many successes against Al Qaeda. But I promised you after I was sworn in that this economy would recover within three years and, for various reasons, that hasn’t happened. Therefore, I’m announcing tonight…” etc. He goes out on a high note, he sets Hillary up for another historic presidency, and suddenly Democrats are on strong (or stronger) footing for the election — especially given the Clinton legacy of economic boom times. In return, he gets basically whatever he wants from the party leadership. A guarantee, maybe, that he’ll be appointed to the Supreme Court at the first available vacancy? Not the first time that idea’s been floated.

Exit question: Would this “voluntary” refusal to run again really prevent a Democratic schism? Some black Democrats would surely conclude that it wasn’t as voluntary as it seemed. And they’d be right.

Update (Ed): I first asked this question in August. I still think it’s a low-probability outcome, but not a no-probability outcome.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This whole falls apart on the Supreme Court offer. Who in their right mind thinks Obama would want to sit around in obscurity, actually having to listen to complex arguments? This is a guy who’s got game, remember? He’s Labron, baby. He’s got a gift, Harry, remember? He doodles “somebody shoot me” when forced to listen to a committee.

I don’t know how hard the Supremes have to work, but I guarantee you it’s more than President Labron wants to.

MaxMBJ on September 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I have sent an email a week suggesting that he invent a medical condition so as to spare his daughters seeing what a total loser he is. But, Obumba only cares about Ombuma.

Dingbat63 on September 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Jesus: if you love me, feed my sheep.

Peter: I’ll do it!

Obama: if you love me, pass my bill.

American public: meh

MaxMBJ on September 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Obama won’t do it. He will hang on t the bitter end and then spend his post-presidency days “avenging” his loss. He will see it better, for him, if he loses to the republicans than be pushed out by the Democrats. Afterall, the Republicans are the enemy and must be punished.

ramrants on September 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

I think they’re floating this as a possibility, but I don’t think he’s clinically depressed. Depressed, maybe. But we’re all depressed right now, in some form or another. Being sad about situations doesn’t always mean we need meds, or a mental hospital, or therapy. We have our ups and downs.

This sounds more like they’re setting the stage, for a just in case. And it sounds like Obama is already considering it, if this info comes from the people around him.

capejasmine on September 15, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I first saw it put forth here by a poster named platypus months and months ago (maybe even longer than that). It made sense then and it makes sense now.

It would be GROSSLY ufair that the guy who f’d everything up gets to resign and the GOP is faced with Hilary. Obama should have to face this himself. He deserves a lot more than just resigning in shame (he deserves more than an electoral defeat, too; he deserves handcuffs).

I think we’d still beat Hil because Americans have Dem-fatigue, but she is stronger. We’d better face Obama so he gets his comeuppance.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

You can imagine the announcement speech:

“I hereby announce I will not seek re-election because like another great orator, Abraham Lincoln, I too suffer from clinical depression…

Give me a break, I’ve been depressed since he was elected. I guess not enough people are screaming “I love you” when he speaks anymore. I’m dreaming of a Red Christmas next year and I don’t want it ruined. Anyway, Obama would be more dangerous on the Supreme Court.

HellCat on September 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Aslans Girl on September 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Tania , don’t remember her last name, but the young woman who does the body language segment on BOR was on last night. She did a read on Hillary, during a quick on the street interview with some reporter, asking Hillary if she was thinking of running.

Hillary said absolutely not. She was happy being SOS, and had no desire to jump back into the political realm. She wasn’t interested, and when she’s finished with her stint as SOS, she said she was just basically retiring.

I’m not sure if she was sincere in that, but Tania seemed to think she was…by her body language.

Hillary might be swayed, but after the way the Obama’s treated her, and Bill…I wouldn’t be to surprised if she wasn’t interested. SHe’s probably thinking at this point, she and Bill want to watch Obama exposed, and defeated. That might be what they’re banking on. It also might explain why she CHOSE to leave rather than wait, and be forced out.

capejasmine on September 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Supreme Court? Not qualified, and in fact it’s too much like real work to suit little Bammie. This man is lazy and shiftless, and he can make much more money and do less work by simply giving recitals all over the world.

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The ego of the O resign? You must be on crack. They will
have to drag him out of there kicking and screaming.

tommyboy on September 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if that committee of prominent Dems has already approached him. I was halfway expecting Obama to announce he wouldn’t run for a second term in his jobs speech to congress. Maybe that was the plan, but he refused. Could it be they’ve moved to their next plan to get him out? Why has there suddenly been more of a focus on his involvement with Fast and Furious and Solyndra? I’m sure this is just the tip of the iceberg and it’s their way of telling Obama he can leave peacefully or they can make life very difficult for him. The Dems know his chance of being re-elected is slipping away.

behiker on September 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM

behiker on September 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Yep. Every day that I see a new scadal getting coverage is another day where I think it’s because the Dems and the MSM are doing a drip, drip, drip to get us prepared that he won’t run again.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM

John Fund does not understand the mind of a narcissist. Obama will do whatever is possible to win. When he loses, expect all hell to break loose between Super Tuesday and Jan 21 (or whatever the exact day is).

Nothing would surprise me. If he didn’t show up for the inauguration. I would not be surprised if his speech on election night he came right out and called the nation “racist”. Heck if he started pardoning the craziest murderers he could just to punish us, that wouldn’t be a surprise either. Narcissists do not take rejection well. It cannot be them, everyone else must be wrong. It’s not his fault the economy is bad, the people of the US are not hiring, buying, etc. the right way.

jeffn21 on September 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Yeah, the Son of Man is going to totally step aside for Hillary if some of His minions ask him to.

Really Right on September 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I don’t think he’s capable of seeing the reality of how people don’t like him.
I think he really thinks he is just that grand.

I surely hope I’m right, because I want to watch his face when he loses in a landslide. Pleaaase don’t take that chance away from me!

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM

People who are clinically depressed aren’t so because they’re on tough times, but because there’s something off in their brain.

Okay, there’s something off in his brain. Never mind.

Bob's Kid on September 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM

The only thing depressed is the economy.

Obama is ecstatic. The full throated destruction of the US continues apace.

faraway on September 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Will it be on pay per view?

If not the Dems are missing the greatest fund raiser in history.

But who would run in his place? Hillary? Probably not.

Could be:

Nine senators tied for most liberal in National Journal’s 2010 Vote Ratings issue. Here’s a look at the 10 most-liberal senators:

The most communistic Soviet liberal is who they always run which is why Obama is such a disappointment.

Speakup on September 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I think it’s a high probability and it scares the heck out of me.

Buy Danish on September 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM

He fakes his own death, like Elvis. Moves to Indonesia and spends the rest of his life in seclusion playing golf and eating arugula.

carbon_footprint on September 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Oh well, pundits have to write something to meet their deadlines, even if it’s complete nonsense.

Bambi won’t give up until it’s absolutely certain he’s going to lose and by the time he faces up to that reality, it’ll be late October of 2012.

Right now, he and his advisors figure they can demonize the Republicans and raise a billion dollars and if the economy improves just a little bit, that should be enough to skate across the finish line.

And the darn thing is that they may be right.

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 12:29 AM

capejasmine on September 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I think that’s probably right. She gets the pleasure of seeing Bambi get his butt kicked and then, well, 2016 is not that far away and she would be the presumptive front-runner for the Dem nomination if she ran (her main competition would be Cuomo.)

Don’t discount the PUMA factor. There’s going to by a lot of Dem voters still p*ssed off from the Obama machinations in the 2008 primaries who will happily sit on their hands this go around and see him get the come-uppance he so richly deserves.

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Indeed, I always thought that Senator was a dream job for him: make a bunch of speeches, pontificate daily to the adoring public, easy re-election campaigns in a solid blue state, enjoy the perks, and never be responsible for anything you say or do. The job description is tailor-made for him. Look how well John Kerry has gotten by all of these years.

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM

That’s been my theory: Obama is toast. But he is a narcissist… so I would not bet on it.

mbabbitt on September 16, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I see a few possible scenarios:

-He keeps doing what he’s doing, loses the next election in a landslide and retires to a life of luxury, spending his days watching ESPN on the couch, playing golf on weekends and doing an occasional anti-Republican/anti-American rant on CNBC or the talk circuit.

-He stages a Reichstag fire incident or stages an attempt on his life sometime in October 2012 and is swept back into office by a fawning, sycophantic media and blindingly stupid independents .

-He declares war on China, carpet bombs Texas and Alaska then surrenders to the Chinese.

-He accepts an offer to resign for a carton of Kools, a case of Colt 45, a gift certificate for an all you eat buffet at Red Lobster, and a guarantee of amnesty for him and the Mooch.

I’m just guessing here. I reserve the right to think of other scenarios.

justltl on September 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Obama’s entire modus operandi is about avoiding blame and liability.

Would history judge him any harsher if he quit than if he rode it out and lost?

ignatzk on September 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM

I just reported myself to Ataaaack Waaaaatch.

justltl on September 16, 2011 at 12:52 AM

He won’t step down, he’ll have to be primaried. Not only that, but when he loses, he’ll run again in 2016.

You heard it here first.

Rebar on September 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM

It would be very appropriate if he made that call to her at 3:00AM.

juanito on September 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Hillary won’t eat Obama’s dogfood. She won’t want to be a sacrificial victim offered in his stead. I say “no”.

theCork on September 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM

He would tell them that they didn’t know what they were talking about… and to pound sand. Øbama listens to no one, unless they say what he wants to hear.

petefrt on September 16, 2011 at 1:40 AM

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM

It would pretty hard for the economy not to be in an upswing by the time 2016 rolls around, so the Republican nominee is going to be a 2-termer.

pedestrian on September 16, 2011 at 1:40 AM

bridgetown on September 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I felt kind of sorry for Carter, sitting there in his overcoat, just looking used up and worn out and gray, as RWR took the oath.

I’m not sure exactly how I’ll feel about 0bamAA+…. but I know I won’t be thinking that he loved America and lost, like Carter – it will be that he HATED America and lost.

My feeling on Jan. 20, 2013 will likely be an irrational, slightly soft-hearted sort of pity, the type of pity felt for any selfish, immature child when the realization appears in its eyes that its wish has been denied… with prejudice.

Then I’ll get over it

cane_loader on September 16, 2011 at 3:49 AM

I’d like to see Moo-chelle try a Rosalyn Carter on the incoming First Dude ;-) She’s big enough and mean enough to hit like a man, if you get my drift….

cane_loader on September 16, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Allah, you just don’t get narcissists, do you?

It doesn’t matter if he’s depressed.

He believes himself better than anyone else on this planet. And to make matter worse, since winning the Democratic primary and being elected president, he has got nothing but affirmation of his beliefs that he’s the best and brightest that this earth has to offer up in terms of human beings.

He will take this country down with him. He will absolutely refuse to give up power in such a manner as discussed in this post. You’d be wiser to bet on the sun rising in the West before Obama voluntarily not running for a second term.

ButterflyDragon on September 16, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Then I’ll get over it

cane_loader on September 16, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Sorry, but I don’t think you’ll be feeling pity.

Once he becomes a lame duck president, he’s going to turn on the nitrous and put his foot through the floorboard on regulatory overreach.

November 2012 to January 2013 is going to be an absolute nightmare for this country. It’s going to be horrifying. He will use tricks and schemes that no one has even dreamed of to get his way on things.

It’s not going to be pretty.

Come January 2013, you’re going to be plenty mad at Obama.

ButterflyDragon on September 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM

The Democrats just dare not do it. Even if Obama agreed and urged his supporters to accept his decision, there would be a significant segment of black voters who believe he was forced out by white power brokers, and the diminished turnout from black voters and the young voters who helped Obama win the nomination and election in 2008 will doom Democrats up and down the ticket in 2012.

Democrats may be more concerned about losing enough Senate seats to prevent their ability to filibuster, although that seems a long shot for the GOP right now. The economy won’t be getting much better thanks to Obama policies and regulations, so don’t expect his chances to improve much from today. But Democrats would risk much more by appearing to force him out.

Adjoran on September 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM

With the advent of Executive Orders, and Congress’ lack of a blocking force, I think there is a glaring loophole in the Constitution. What’s to prevent a pissed-off, lame-duck president from trashing the place on the way out?

I know that when homeowners fall behind on the mortgage, there is a monthly security inspection to make sure the owner is not trashing the place.

WHere is the constitutional equivalent?

Your concern is legitimate, and disturbing….

cane_loader on September 16, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Dear Mr. President,
Finally I am able to anonymously join the Nazi Brownshirts and the Hitler Youth and tell you all about what my friends and family are saying about you. If you need their names and addresses please just ask. Thank you for initiating AttackWatch. Per your request, I have compiled the following: you are a Marxist/Socialist sympathizer, an alien who is unable to be President as you were not born within the USA or its military bases abroad, a hater of the goodness of America and its citizens, an unentitled interloper who occupies the White House and acts more like Louis XIV than George Washington, a “golfer” who never paid a green’s fee and who expects that every hole constitutes a mulligan (sorry about the word constitut(ion)es), a “commuter” who continues to scorch the earth with the exhaust of Air Force 1 (and Air Force 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 – oh, you get the message – like Bo’s plane) leaving a larger carbon footprint than that obese Al Gore, the sponsor of your wife’s ridiculous vacations at taxpayer expense (let alone your vacations), the role model for Einstein’s definition of insanity (you keep trying the same approach to enhance our economy expecting a different outcome), an abject loser who only knows how to blame George W. for all of your failures, an “intellect” who cannot verify his high school, college or graduate school grades, a politician who has no record of ever voting for anything meaningful (except “Present”), someone who is telling this country how to produce more jobs never having any experience in running anything or creating any jobs (do you like that recent zero jobs growth report?) and someone who, if he ever played Chutes and Ladders, would continuously fall down the long chute to the bottom row. Well, I just want you to know that as I have posted my friends thoughts about you, as you requested, please don’t send your storm troopers (FBI, IRS) after me. After all, in the words of General George Patton, “I’m mad”.
Sincerely yours, Alfred E. Neuman

Lon Chaney on September 16, 2011 at 4:35 AM

pedestrian on September 16, 2011 at 1:40 AM

I’m sure that’s what Obama and the Dems were thinking in 2008.

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Further proof that “if” is for children. Rush is right again.

Extrafishy on September 16, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Evan Bayh.

Key West Reader on September 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Evan Bayh.

Key West Reader on September 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Yep, that’s my thinking too. Bayh gets party support knowing that he won’t win, but he will be positioning himself to run again in 2016 with full support of the party establishment. The only problem with this is Cuomo in NY.

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM

“…if he agreed to step down after Democratic chieftains privately appealed…

There aren’t enough Democrat chieftains in China…well, maybe in China, but in the US it would take some awesome private appealing to overcome the guy’s monumental lack of authentic humility for him to perform such an act of authentic humility. You might almost admire him for it if he did it. Almost. Who are these Democrats who possess such private appealing superpowers? Little Debbie Whatshername Schultz? Ha. It is to laugh. Yes, Hillary would win but would she want to step into such a mess, and looking at a partially Republican-controlled legislative branch? Her only two incentives would be the historic part and to be able to pick at least the next 2-3 Supreme court justices, locking in Lefty anti-liberty/anti-federalism/anti-life jurisprudence for the next 50 years or more, so she might. Even Mrs. Space the other day mentioned looking upon her favorably |||shudders||| and she’s an Ayn Rand-Adam Smith-Pro-Drug War Libertarian from way back. How soon we forget the Hillarycare dodged-bullet (Paraphrased in part: Doctors are cost centers, the supply of which should be reduced!!!) And isn’t Madame Clinton the speartip of his disastrous foreign policy right now? Considering his disconnectedness, isn’t she in large part responsible for it? So much for “chops” (I hate that facile metaphor for journalistic laziness.) Hillary’s slight margin of acceptability has only been exaggerated by the catastrophe overseen by President Disaster and orchestrated by his acolytes in the first Maoist Executive Branch in US history. And don’t underestimate the base-of-color’s pigment loyalty. Perhaps a segment could be bought off but you could still expect Rodney King riots in major urban centers after the speech. Also….(takes breath) these mythical Democratic chieftains would need to convince Michelle “let-them-eat-whole-grains” Obama that for the good of The Cause she’d have to survive the next four years with a severely reduced staff of flunkies, an ever-diminishing tiny fraction of magazine covers and without taxpayer-funded lavish vacations. That would be the show-stopper.

curved space on September 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Evan Bayh.

Key West Reader on September 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Photogenic empty suit.

Extrafishy on September 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM

curved space on September 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Hold on there Mr. Space. You can’t say Hillary “would win” and then go on to talk about how unpopular she is. I don’t think she would be part of the calculation at all, I’m thinking Bayh to save the down-ticket races or a Hispanic Democrat to try to woo that growing racial minority. They won’t expect to win, merely to get some Democrats somewhere excited enough to support the local Dems and stem the bleeding in the Senate and House races. Whoever it is would be heir apparent in 2016. They have to start looking ahead now.

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Chieftains: You should quit for the good of your family and your health.
Obama: My family wants what I want and I am in perfect health.
Chieftains: You should quit for the good of the country.
Obama: I am the good of the country.
Chieftains: The job is too hard and the evil Rs don’t respect you.
Obama: I like golf, the job isn’t too bad and the parties are great. Who cares what the Rs think, they are poopyheads.

See I am having trouble even imagining the scenario. Not gonna happen voluntarily. Does Anthony Weiner have any spare pics?

txmomof6 on September 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM

The most popular national political figure in America today is one who was rejected by her own party three years ago: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

If she runs, with the slate we have now, we’re screwed.

Rod on September 16, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Well, if we’re doing fantasy, how about the Democrats get Obama not to run and nominate Donna Brazil in his place? She’s a party pro (i.e., willing to take one in the shorts for the company) who’d campaign credibly and probably lose, but without alienating Blacks or women. At this point it’s about the Democrats cutting their losses in the next election, not actually winning the presidency again.

PersonFromPorlock on September 16, 2011 at 7:58 AM

FDR once said he wouldn’t seek another term. But he did. I believe that was number 3.
I don’t think he could help himself.
I don’t care about the wartime stuff. He liked being a dictator.
And Obama does, too.
And since Dems/Libs are so good at doubling & tripling down on stupid, they will run Obama.
And I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if he won. Bcs Americans love patronage.
That federal honey money is so sweet.
Who wants to get off the gravy train first?
I thought so.

Badger40 on September 16, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Evan Bayh.

Key West Reader on September 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Photogenic empty suit.

Extrafishy on September 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Maybe. But he’s a Midwestern empty suit, important demographic, he was on the short short list for VP, the media loves him and reported on how smart he was before Biden got the nod. I know some Dems who were a little taken aback that he didn’t get the VP spot, and the assumption among GOP was that he was smarter than Obama and Obama wanted to always be the smartest person in the room and didn’t want to be the stepping stone for someone else’s career. Sme Dems would consider him e next in line.

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Hillary is still a stupid crazy b!tch.
She is only SLIGHTLY better than Obama.
But not by much.

Badger40 on September 16, 2011 at 8:02 AM

ButterflyDragon on September 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Yes, that concerns me too. Drudge has another one of those headlines up about Barry saying how he’d love to just “go around” Congress. (This turd is so much better suited to being some Third World banana republic dictator, it’s not even funny anymore).

But the danger is real. Just look at that “Dream Act” EO he recently issued. He stated last year, in a public speech, that he knew he did not have the constitutional authority to unilaterally change immigration laws (but wished he did). Then, a few months later, his poll numbers among hispanic voters start to tank, and guess what? He suddenly decides that he does have that authority after all, and he signs the EO.

This jerk could not care less about what is in the best interests of the country. The one and only thing that concerns him is what is in Barry Obama’s best interests.

AZCoyote on September 16, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Rational Thought on September 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM

That is so spot-on. Well said.

Threadwinner!

HomeoftheBrave on September 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Hold on there Mr. Space…

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM

With respect, Piglet, and to clarify, mentioning Mrs. Space was a scary anecdotal indication of a growing favorable viewing of the awful Hillary that is popping up lately. Hard to believe that such a Lefty bird-of-a-feather could be set off in stark relief but that’s a measure of the magnitude of the disaster in which we find ourselves. And there’s gender-tribe loyalty that would be stronger in many others than Mrs. Space that would take in a good percentage of 50 percent of the population. There’s a guy I work with — one of those dyed-in-the-wool, lifelong, habitual, hereditary Democrats that we all know — who I remember a few years ago lamenting “Oh Hillary.” during a tangle with a private insurance company. He’s in for surprise when he tries to get treatment for an existing chronic condition come 2014. But Hillary would have his vote too.

Evan Bayh? I’ve heard the name. I know that there’s a legacy but the national name recognition is still lacking. If Hillary wants it it’s hers. Working against this is her lack of fire. She looks tired. (Over and above her innate haggard.) The Private Appeal Democrat Supercommittee would have as much of a chore convincing her to step in as it would Michelle to step out. Maybe.

curved space on September 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Who will they get to replace him? Satan himself?
Every Democrat is as much responsible for our economy as Obama is. They all voted for his crap! They all supported his crap! They all shoveled his crap!

JellyToast on September 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM

When has Obooba not doubled down on stupid?

No chance.

Akzed on September 16, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I think the most compelling reason to think this won’t happen is the fact it wouldn’t work. A party can’t shirk responsibility for the economy by having someone else from the party, particularly someone else from the administration (even if she has been in the State Department and not dealing with the economy), run for the office. Indeed, I can’t think of a more explict admission of party responsibility for the economy than the president stepping down. The Republicans would win in a landslide. Besides, the Dems have already tried this once (LBJ). It didn’t work then. It wouldn’t work now. They’re better off sticking with the horse they rode in on. D.GOOCH

DGOOCH on September 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Fantastic article. It was long, but very much worth the read. Thanks for linking~

bridgetown on September 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I don’t think Obama has the temperament or discipline either for the presidency or the Supreme Court. The justices have to work, that is, if they do it right. Would he be able to travel around the world as much? No. Would he get to party with the stars as much? No. I think he would be really depressed then.

Qzsusy on September 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Depression is the natural outcome for a person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder when their carefully constructed image of themselves stops being reflected back at them from an adoring public. The man should be put on suicide watch and placed on gardening leave.

ExPat on September 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM

No matter who is on the top of the dem ticket in 2012, they lose.

Vashta.Nerada on September 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Skandia Recluse on September 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

“I get fed up with that kind of game plan, and we’ve been seeing it for too long. Too long. We’re in a national emergency. We’ve been grappling with a crisis for three years, and instead of getting folks to rise up above partisanship in a spirit that says we’re all in this together, we got folks who are purposely dividing, purposely thinking just in terms of how does this play out just in terms of this election,” -Obooba.

Gulp!

If this becomes the new talking point…

Akzed on September 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We’re in a national emergency.

I see an EO making Obamao ‘President-For-Life’ in our future.

A-la Chavez, his close buddy and hero.

Timothy S. Carlson on September 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Only his boss Soros can do it and I think he will and soon. Obama will resign for undisclosed health issues (with AIDS bandied about sub rosa). Say hello to President Biden and Vice-President Hillary. It’ll give them a headstart on the next election.

erp on September 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Never happen.

You have your answer.

mankai on September 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Good grief. Appointment to the Supreme Court? The man’s a Constitutional ignoramus!

RebeccaH on September 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM

C’mon, the hubris of this president is far greater than any depression, besides he has his minions all around him chanting how great he is.

royzer on September 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM

bridgetown on September 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM

That article explained so much of President Bush’s thinking during that time period. Isn’t it interesting that it was written by someone who didn’t vote for him?

I ask what he believes is the most important quality in great leaders.

“Willingness to stand on principle, the notion that public opinion changes back and forth and that you shouldn’t chase public opinion. … Lincoln had a set of principles that were important to him. ‘All men are created equal under God’ is the ultimate. It’s the ultimate principle for America’s freedom. … But Lincoln acted on it in a difficult political environment. People forget that he was in a very tough reelection campaign, and it wasn’t until Sherman makes it to Atlanta that his prospects brightened. Secondly, Lincoln had a strategic vision for the country. One of the great presidential decisions ever was to keep the country intact. … The question oftentimes in history is what would have happened if a different decision were made. We’d have been Europe.”

I don’t think that anyone could ever argue that Bush wasn’t principled in his pursuit of the War on Terror.

Of his own presidency, he says, “Obviously, there were some very difficult moments, and there was some doubt as to whether or not decisions I had made were going to become fruitful. But I also realized there’s a whole history of what would have happened, what are the consequences had you not made a decision. So, like on Saddam Hussein, maybe it’s a historian’s perspective … but no doubt in my mind, if he were in power today, all that’s happening in the Middle East now would be much more dangerous.” And what might have happened in Libya during the recent uprising, Bush asks, if he and British Prime Minister Tony Blair hadn’t convinced Qaddafi to give up his weapons of mass destruction? The same logic applied, he says, during the financial meltdown during his last months in office. Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman and a preeminent historian on the causes of the Great Depression, told Bush that unless he did something drastic, the nation would descend into depression.

“Well, I had read enough history about the Depression to know the consequences. … I didn’t want history to record that there was a moment when George W. Bush could have done something to prevent the depression and chose not to.” We don’t know if inaction would have resulted in a depression, he says—only that he did act and there was no depression. “It’s just one of those moments where you just had to move one way or the other. And I moved.”

I ask, “What did you see as your principles?”

“One of them was ‘freedom is universal,’ which was unbelievably controversial for a period of time during my presidency, which, frankly, astonished me, given my reading of history.” He paraphrases his Second Inaugural: “We’ll resist tyranny at all times, all places, basically. Well, to me, you could say that was inspired by Lincoln. … Based upon the principle that deep in everybody’s soul is the desire to be free. And what’s interesting is, it’s playing out right now,” he says, referring to the populist uprisings in the Middle East.

“The interesting thing about Egypt was that of all the countries in the Middle East, Egypt had a great chance to become an example of democracy. And President Mubarak, after ’82, chose not to head that way. Eventually, though, the young, educated, unemployed said, ‘Wait a minute! We’re tired of it!’ I wasn’t surprised. I wasn’t surprised when the people of Iraq went to vote. I really wasn’t. And took enormous risks to vote. Or the people in Afghanistan. Unbelievably inspirational moments as far as I was concerned. Others didn’t see it that way, I fully understood. But, to me, it was validation of the concept that all want to be free.”

His decision to launch the military surge in Iraq in 2007, at a time when the military situation was deteriorating and American public opinion had turned overwhelmingly against the war, was rooted in what he saw as the central principle of his presidency and the question historians would ask about what would happen if he did not make the decision. “The surge was, one, a belief that freedom is universal and, therefore, if given a chance, people will seize the moment. And the other calculation was, ‘What does failure mean?’ ”

So how will history judge his presidency?

“Some people walk up and say, ‘Oh, man, history is going to judge you well.’ And my quip is, ‘I’m not going to be around to see it.’ And to me, that’s one of the most important lessons you learn through history—you’re just not gonna be around to see it. … I’m confident of this: that those conclusions will be more objective with time than they could conceivably be now.”

I ask if he thinks President Obama has read his book.

He laughs. “If somebody said he hasn’t had time to read it yet, I’d say, ‘I understand.’ ”

This is the difference between an educated man, understanding that history is only understood generations from when events take place, and a man who pretends to understand history, but only understands his role in the here and now.

Whether or not Obama chooses to step down, and my feeling is that his premature start of his reelection campaign was to stave off potential primary opponents with a huge war chest, his role in history will be that of the Lightbringer, when Americans remembered the founding principles of this country and chose to reaffirm them. We will thank him for being the undisciplined, corrupt, incompetent politician that awoke the sleeping giant.

2012 cannot come fast enough…even if it means more gray hairs on my youngish head for me!

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM

You have your answer.

mankai on September 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM

There would have to be a huge quid pro quo payoff to the Congressional Black Caucus and others like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to make them go along with throwing Obama under the bus; to the point that the deal would be blatantly obvious to all but the most willfully blind ideologues on the left.

And even if it did happen, the question isn’t just what would Obama do; it’s what would Michelle do if asked to give up her First Lady perks four years earlier than planned? They’d have to promise her that she would continue to have access to the same sort of vacation and lifestyle at no personal cost for life. Given her spending habits, I don’t even think George Soros has a big enough bank account to guarantee that into the middle part of this century.

jon1979 on September 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Because I’m in the mood to post long excerpts, here is what Evan Bayh was doing in March 2011:

He was a popular Democrat in a red state, and most of his efforts seemed to be devoted to keeping it that way. In practice, that meant talking a lot about the deficit, taking occasional potshots as liberals and avoiding any overly courageous legislative stands. “An ordinary politician,” I wrote when he retired.

But he was a very interesting near-retiree. When he decided not to seek reelection in 2010, he published a precise and devastating broadside against the institution in which he and his father had served. Instead of merely condemning the bitter partisanship of the place, he proposed to close the loopholes that had enabled polarization to metastasize in paralysis. “Filibusters should require 35 senators to … make a commitment to continually debate an issue in reality, not just in theory,” he wrote. And “the number of votes needed to overcome a filibuster should be reduced to 55 from 60.” Strong stuff. He then went after money in politics, calling for “legislation to enhance disclosure requirements, require corporate donors to appear in the political ads they finance and prohibit government contractors or bailout beneficiaries from spending money on political campaigns,” not to mention “public matching funds for smaller contributions. Bayh had no record of leadership on any of these topics. But, in part for that reason, it was particularly potent to hear him speaking out on them.

An acknowledged moderate who’d taken on these crusades wouldn’t have just been a good senator. He’d have been a great one. This new incarnation of Evan Bayh, I wrote, should stay in the Senate, where he could do some good. But he didn’t want to stay in the Senate, he told me in subsequent interviews. He waxed rhapsodic over his time teaching at Indiana University’s Graduate School of Business. “It was real, it was tangible, and it was making a difference every day,” he said. He wanted that feeling again. He wanted to come home at night, he told me, and say, “Dear, do you know what we got done today? I’ve got this really bright kid in my class, and do you know what he asked me, and here’s what I told him, and I think I saw a little epiphany moment go off in his mind.” For a United States senator to explain his retirement by saying, “I want to be engaged in an honorable line of work,” was the single most persuasive and devastating critique I’d ever seen of the Senate as an institution.

But Bayh did not return to Indiana to teach. He did not, as he said he was thinking of doing, join a foundation. Rather, he went to the massive law firm McGuire Woods. And who does McGuire Woods work for? “Principal clients served from our Washington office include national energy companies, foreign countries, international manufacturing companies, trade associations and local and national businesses,” reads the company’s Web site. He followed that up by signing on as a senior adviser to Apollo Management Group, a giant public-equity firm. And, finally, this week, he joined Fox News as a contributor. It’s as if he’s systematically ticking off every poison he identified in the body politic and rushing to dump more of it into the water supply.

Let’s think about why Bayh might have joined FOX news, and, by the way, has anyone seen him on? I don’t have cable, so I can’t say. If I wanted to make a guess, I’d say that Bayh is establishing some moderate conservative Dem credentials. He doesn’t want to run for governor, which I find curious, maybe he knows Pence will win in a landslide, I don’t know. And look at his day job and who the clientele are – those are power people with deep purses. As Ezra Klein says, it is a very interesting semi-retirement indeed.

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Oh crud, I messed up the quote links. Sorry.

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM

jon1979 on September 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Give them up for a nice payoff or lose them anyway in Jan. 2013. What would you choose?

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I think, given his personality, he would choose not to run if it became clear he was going to be humiliated at the polls in ’12. Then he could add how he tried and was the victim of racism to his $100k speeches that he will do after leaving. he could rationalize it by seeing it as a strategic withdrawal and not a loss. He could still say he wasn’t defeated at the polls. He could make millions and nobody would care how much he played golf.

flyoverland on September 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Will never happen. It would be called racism,hahaha aha!

BillCarson on September 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This would be the worse thing that could possibly happen to the GOP.

What should be wished for is some success for O, so that all this talk of a challenge disappears.

Labamigo on September 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM

This would be the worse thing that could possibly happen to the GOP.

Labamigo on September 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true except perhaps the GOP party establishment. We have an opportunity for honest conversation about the future of this country. Obama or whoever takes his place is going to have to participate in that conversation – that is what is best for the country. If Obama doesn’t run and the Dems hold a primary, they are going to have an intra-party argument over the future of the Democratic party within this larger conversation. How is that a losing proposition for the GOP? Or for Americans?

Success for Obama should only come if it is a success for the American people. I would call his reversal on the EPA’s regulations for coal a success for the American people – did he get a bounce in the polls from that?

piglet on September 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM

If his ego didn’t allow him to tack to the center after the 2010 drubbings, it sure won’t allow him to drop out in face of a 2012 drubbing.

PackerBronco on September 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Evan Bayh.

Key West Reader on September 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Photogenic empty suit.

Extrafishy on September 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM

So kind of a white version of Obama?

slickwillie2001 on September 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Rush is talking about this now and linked here to HA.
L

letget on September 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Do clinically depressed people often commit suicide? Just looking for the silver lining.

Alden Pyle on September 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM

RebeccaH on September 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM

He would also have to be confirmed by the Senate, which will probably have a Republican majority by then. Good luck…

Steve Z on September 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Hey wait a minute. I broached this posibility back in April!

LCT688 on September 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Oops sorry it was march.

LCT688 on September 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Harriet Meyers was more qualified. I guarantee you, any group that approaches the Won and asks him to abdicate will have the IRS, FBI, ATF, Jesse, and the Black Caucus on their azzes so fast their heads would stop spinnin’.

Kissmygrits on September 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I don’t know who Obama blames most for the mess he finds himself in, but it’s a slam-dunk guarantee he doesn’t blame himself. He’s probably at a loss to understand what’s happened. After all, being clean, bright, articulate and black has been a winning combination all his life. When did it stop being enough?

The people with whom he’s been associated at Harvard and UofC and in Hyde Park are the intellectual elite and they all think (or at least pretend to think) he’s the best, the brightest, the coolest, the hippest ever. These are the best minds in America and their economic polices are supposed to work. It’s just not conceivable that they can be wrong, not about him, not about policy. There must be other forces at work here, forces beyond his control.

Clinically depressed? Perhaps. Suffering from Low T? Well, I’ll certainly buy that, but you can’t blame everything on a testosterone deficiency. Likely to step aside? Not on your life. None of this, after all, is his fault. He’s the Lightworker, the messiah, the One we were waiting for. And there are others to blame, lots of them: George W. Bush, Congress, Republicans, the Tea Party, the media, the voters, the businesses who won’t hire, the banks that won’t lend, the consumers who won’t buy, the Jews, the Chinese, the other heads of state who won’t follow his lead, the list is endless. But not Barack, never Barack.

SukieTawdry on September 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM

You can imagine the announcement speech:

PBHO wouldn’t say any of that, and if he did it would be at the beginning of a speech that would end with him pointing fingers at pretty much everyone in the nation.

Bishop on September 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Which would be the biggest meltdown ever seen on national television, beating Nixon’s “You won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around any more” beat by two miles and a cloud of dust.

The reaction of the American people to that would probably cost the Dems at least two more supposedly “safe” Senate seats.

Bu it won’t happen. Simply put, The One’s ego is simply too colossal. It’s more likely that he would launch into a tirade in the deputation’s faces, accusing them of “disloyalty” and a few other things- and then it would get nasty.

You’ll know when they try it, though. When a half-dozen or so leading Dems suddenly find themselves “spending more time with their families”. Even ones who don’t have families.

It will make Nixon’s “Saturday Night Massacre” look like an episode of Captain Kangaroo by comparison.

clear ether