Ridiculous NY-09 spin: “It’s a very difficult district for Democrats”

posted at 8:45 am on September 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Republicans won two House seats in a special election last night.  One, in Nevada, had been a relatively safe district, and Republican Mark Amodei cruised to victory over Democrat Kate Marshall as expected.  Also as predicted, Republican Bob Turner won a six-point victory over Democrat David Weprin in NY-09, a Congressional district in the heart of Democratic stronghold New York City.  The margin of victory exactly matched polling leads for Turner from both Siena and Democratic pollster PPP in the final days before the vote.

That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a surprise.  The NY-09 seat has been in Democratic hands since, well, Warren Harding was President.  So what did the leader of the Democratic Party have to say about the loss?

Democratic party leaders insisted the loss wasn’t a harbinger of things to come. “It’s a very difficult district for Democrats,” said Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, noting its Democratic margins there tend to be the second lowest of all the districts in New York City.

Well, in her defense, she still hasn’t gotten past that tough loss when Andrew Peterson edged David O’Connell for the seat … in 1922.  The same seat was held by Geraldine Ferraro, Chuck Schumer, and Anthony Weiner … when he had his pants on.  Going back to 1996, the lowest percentage a Democrat got in a general election in this seat was 60.8%, which was in 2010 while the Tea Party took 63 seats from Democrats that ended up being a lot more “difficult” than this one.  It was such a difficult district that Weiner ran unopposed in 2006 and virtually unopposed in 2008.

Getting past the absurd spin, does this win mean as much as Republicans would argue?  Michael Bloomberg hopes not:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg dismissed the suggestion the outcome has national implications.

“It’s not the end of the Obama administration and the Republican resurgence,” the mayor said. “These tend to be local races.”

But this tends to argue otherwise:

Another Jewish Democrat, Richard Krisberg, said he voted for the Republican.

“Weprin supports President Obama and his policies, and that’s why I voted against him,” Mr. Krisberg said.

Neither does this from the New York Times:

The Turner campaign had eagerly courted disenchanted Democrats, and outside polling places around the district on Tuesday, multiple longtime Democrats confessed that despite concern about Mr. Turner’s eagerness to slash federal spending, they chose him hoping that his election would get lawmakers’ attention.

“I am a registered Democrat, I have always been a registered Democrat, I come from a family of Democrats — and I hate to say this, I voted Republican,” said Linda Goldberg, 61, after casting her ballot in Queens. “I need to send a message to the president that he’s not doing a very good job. Our economy is horrible. People are scared.”

I think it’s safe to say that even Democrats aren’t buying the President’s new rehashed jobs proposals as the key to economic recovery.  They want a big change in direction, and they are most definitely not seeing it from Obama.  Debbie Wasserman-Schultz may still be correct — but if NY-09 has turned into a “very difficult district” for Democrats, there are going to be an avalanche of “difficult districts” in 2012.  This next election might make 2010 look like a breezy summer day for Democrats unless Obama can figure out how to stop his slide.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Haha… Rush just now “it’s just another bitch-slap…”

spinach.chin on September 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

But the party’s structural weaknesses were on full display in the stunning New York defeat — the party’s first loss of a Brooklyn or Queens congressional seat in a generation. The Queens Democratic Party’s decision to nominate Weprin, an Orthodox Jewish member of the state Assembly who lives in another district, was driven by “the most blatant ethnic politics,” said Mitchell Moss, a professor of urban planning at New York University. It was an old-school play that failed: Turner fought hard for Jewish votes over the issues of Israel and same-sex marriage, and Orthodox leaders were well-represented at his victory party at an Italian restaurant in Howard Beach.

Much of New York’s still-powerful labor movement, meanwhile, sat the race out — distracted, demoralized, and with other fish to fry. The labor-backed Working Families Party, a juggernaut in other city races, chose to put its resources Tuesday into a bitter internecine battle with the Brooklyn Democratic organization — leaving Weprin to rely on the rusting party machine.

It was a nightmare scenario for Democrats that threatens to repeat itself on the national level, as major unions turn away from their traditional level of engagement. AFL-CIO leaders have talked about focusing their spending on state-level races. The giant SEIU has discussed replacing what had been an all-out campaign for Obama in 2008 with a campaign more focused on the issue of jobs.

Asked who he’d like to see the Republicans nominate, Montana Democratic Governor Brian Schweitzer suggested: “Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry — those would all be good ones to run against.”

How delusional they are, good thing. They deserve a 40 state wipeout.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Sorry, forgot the link.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Micheal Savage
“Any Jew that voted for Obama, is the kind of jew that stands around and waits tobe turned into a bar of soap or a lampshade.”

nimrod on September 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Obama’s Bonfire of the Vanities: Bob Turner on his win – We have lit one candle today. It’s going to be a bonfire pretty soon.

Mutnodjmet on September 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

For Republicans Democrats, the Ice Age Cometh

J_Crater on September 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

DWS, please explain the 67% to 33% win in BROOKLYN.

kurtzz3 on September 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Rush: The political consultants have it wrong. They didn’t elect Turner to ‘work with’ Øbama. They elected him to roll back his policies.

petefrt on September 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I haven’t been following Turner very closely but based on what Rush has been saying, maybe he should run for POTUS next… as in right now. I think that political experience is a huge liability in ’12. The political establishment has failed and I’d prefer a successful private citizen that only has the interests of the country in mind.

FloatingRock on September 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

…That’s assuming Turner is good on the 2nd amendment and other issues, too, of course. But regardless of that, congratulations to him on his win in NY.

FloatingRock on September 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

FloatingRock on September 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Rush is on a roll today, isn’t he. Great show so far.

petefrt on September 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Oh happy day…

The Rock on September 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It’s The United States is a very difficult district for Democrats,” said Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz

DWS, November 2012

UltimateBob on September 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Poor Debbie. Another Gardasil victim.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

It’s official.
Debbie Wasserman Schultz has become Tariq Aziz.

Sayan Neviot on September 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM

FloatingRock on September 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Ah, within the 5 burroughs – gun laws – namely C&C/pistol permits are……. very very rare.

I would not attach your liking to his 2nd Amendment issue – for its a dead horse in his district.

Odie1941 on September 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I work in the NY-9 district, and live just 4 blocks from it’s border (which means I have the contemptable Gregory Meeks as my Congressman). I made several comments on HotAir telling all the doubting Thomases here that Turner had a real shot at winning.

The fact that Turner won gives further credence to my prediction that Obama will lose Florida, based on the fact that my diehard Liberal, soon to be 88 year old, Dad, who has never voted for a Republican president in his life, and who brushed me off when I started ranting about Jeremiah Wright, Ayers, Khalidi, etc, has told me that there’s no way in hell he’ll vote for Obama again, and every single Jewish person that he knows who voted for Obama feels exactly the same way as he does.

And while my Dad didn’t vote for Reagan in 1980, he did vote for John Anderson, as he thought Carter had no shot at winning (he only grew to dislike Carter after subsequent years). And we all know how that election turned out. So if a true Conservative gets the GOP nomination next year, and it’s someone that my Dad can’t stomach, he’ll just stay home and not vote, which still means one vote less for Obama.

ardenenoch on September 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is proof that you can have your head so far up your ass that you need to open your mouth to see where you are going

(copyright 2009 – Catch-All)

CatchAll on September 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Every time this Schultz woman opens her mouth the stupidity comes rolling out (along with the feces!) But this speaks VOLUMES for the idiots who voted for her! I call the democrats by two things now days 1) the Dumb-o-crat party or 2) the Dumbass party!

I am a registered Dumbass, I have always been a registered Dumbass, I come from a family of Dumbass’s…

Confederate on September 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I’d say Debbie Downer has officially morphed into Debbie Dingbat.

KaliMom on September 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Ed, ” Debbie Wasserman-Schultz may still be correct —”
I’m sorry, but this assertion makes no sense! DWS looks like a moron and sounds like a screech every time she opens her mouth. The usual Dem talking points she spews make her look ridiculous….especially following NY-9 results.

tomshup on September 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I heard the ads on TV And radio (metro NYC area) and the Dems fought hard.

The turning point in the election was when Mayor Koch (God bless him) and Dov Hikind endorsed the Republican to send a message to Obama who had disrespected Israel so many times.

Of all the disrespect Obama has shown, to me the most insulting and outrageous was when he left Benjamin Netanyahu and the Israeli aid alone in the White House at dinner time to “go eat dinner with his family.”

I never heard of such an insult to any state leader.

Elisa on September 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM

And see how well that worked out for him/the Democrats.

kim roy on September 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

“…The Queens Democratic Party’s decision to nominate Weprin, … who lives in another district

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over???

Mary in LA on September 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

“I am a registered Dumbass, I have always been a registered Dumbass, I come from a family of Dumbasses…

Confederate on September 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

“… but I got better!”

:-)

Mary in LA on September 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM

What a Picture…deserves a caption.

“Mr. President…..come on….it can’t be that big, is it?”

Twana on September 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM

That’s how politics works, obviously, and Democrats would surely do the same thing if the roles were reversed. But if you can get beyond the fact that it technically played out within the confines of New York City, there really isn’t much that’s remarkable about the victory that Republican Bob Turner achieved on Tuesday night.

Heh, heh, even the title of the article is a contradiction in terms.

The GOP’s unremarkable special election stunner

Consider the source.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Sorry, this s/b in quotes

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I was just going to post, “Yeah, now it is!” And I saw that Ed beat me to it, lol!

I have a feeling that ALL districts will be “very difficult for Dems” in ’12, what with even California putting O at under 50%!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Well we know from the experience of Scott Brown and Chris Christie that Democrats do not listen to bellwethers in reliably blue states. Instead they go full steam ahead with their braindead policies. So let little Debbie say whatever she wants and we will see her at the ballot box.

txmomof6 on September 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Prominent Democratic Jewish politicians disagree. “It is not a bellwether district,” said Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York. “I don’t think there’s another district like that in America.”

ted c on September 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM