Video: Late-night lambasting of the president’s jobs plan

posted at 11:25 am on September 13, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Last night’s debate — as substantive and interesting as it was — clearly exposed the vulnerabilities of each of the GOP frontrunners. From Perry’s Gardamnesty debacle to Romney’s rehearsed talking points on Romneycare to the return of Bachmann’s sensationalism, the night was exciting, but hardly encouraging — until I remembered that Barack Obama will be the eventual nominee’s competitor on the general stage.

So, let’s vet the conservative candidates as much as we need to and give them a chance to defend themselves, even if it means, for a night or two, Perry appears less conservative than Tea Partiers would like, Romney more insincere, Bachmann more extreme. I’m comfortable that, as voters intimately come to know their weaknesses, they’ll begrudgingly accept them, never agreeing with mistakes made, perhaps, but understanding motives and rationale. For, in the end, not one of them is weak on what Americans care most about these days — jobs and the economy. And, on that, the president is so weak that late-night comedians just can’t resist the fresh fodder he feeds them. Not sure what the Tea Party dance party at the end is all about, but the early clips from “The Daily Show” alone make this video worth watching. Stewart questions the prosaic name Obama attached to his jobs bill. “That’s all you got?” he says. “The American Jobs Act? Was “Employment Ideas TBD’ already taken?”

To be sure, Stewart then does his best to help Obama by suggesting a title that reemphasizes Obama’s one great success — taking out Osama bin Laden. “Give us some spin,” Stewart says. But it’s clear Stewart knows the American Jobs Act includes no new ideas. If we can’t beat this guy, what does that say about us?

Comments

Oh, we’re gonna beat this guy…

d1carter on September 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Eh, it was sort of humorous, thought the Tea Party dance party was pure stupid.

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

We’ll be couting heavily on the Anybody But Obama vote…

Mr_Magoo on September 13, 2011 at 11:32 AM

lol @ John McCain line as I flash back to seeing Sir Ian McKellen in King Lear.

strictnein on September 13, 2011 at 11:32 AM

If we can’t beat this guy, what does that say about us?

It says that the best and the brightest on the Right are not in politics.

When I hear some GOP congressional candidates, I cringe. Is that the best we can do? It almost makes me want to run (if I had the money).

mankai on September 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

“Obama attached to his jobs bill”

Bill? So where is the bill Obama wants passed “now” and “right away”?

It’s not a bill, Ed, it’s an overview of a plan. Congress votes on bills, not overviews of plans.

Dusty on September 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM

…a jobs plan that claims to deliver a price tag of over $250,000 per job is shovel ready for plenty of jokes…….
………..these “comedians” are overrated and over paid if this is all they’ve got.

Baxter Greene on September 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I liked the Tea Party Dance Party bit. It didn’t even need the commentary. The visuals alone were a sufficient enough punchline. Jon Stewart’s bit was the worst though. Even Colbert’s was funnier.

Doughboy on September 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I am shocked that the administration has nothing better.

Btw, I loved the center-right Democrat guest on The Factor distancing himself from Paul Krugman (radical economist and Nobel Prize winner) while Howard Dean (2005 DNC Chair) was on MSNBC praising him for his general stature relative to a positive responsive to the American Jobs Act. No, I don’t watch tow channels at once. I have liberals who fight with me.

I still say congress should let The One pass anything He wants. It is in the long term good of the country. People have to learn and the country already hates them.

And if it works, all praise to the administration!

IlikedAUH2O on September 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Oh, less conservative and less sincere will do? Let’s run with that, as if a total deceitful dictator who created jobs is perfectly fine?(the soviet union did that with little old ladies cleaning streets)

We can do better than this crowd. How? With a moral person, with character, honesty, and a clean record of fighting corruption in government. One with solid conservative principles who can bridge the social con and fiscal con gap and not only win, but more importantly, clean the dirt our of the house once she does.All of america is tired of one thing in poll after poll – the government itself. There is no need to be reluctant about her as a candidate, unless one is discriminating against women. Seize the oppoortunity and run boldy with her and her record of integrity.

Her name is Sarah Palin.

Why is that so hard to see?

Don L on September 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM

It says that the best and the brightest on the Right are not in politics.

mankai on September 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Run for local stuff. You don’t need money (or at least much) for that. The thing you need a lot of is time, which most of us don’t have.

angryed on September 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

The Obama has no Jobs!

Lawrence on September 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM

“Hand-cranked, corporately financed bullsh*t machines!”

Describes so much of our modern media.

Constantine on September 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Oh, we’re gonna beat this guy…

d1carter on September 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

..like a rented mule.

The War Planner on September 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Part of what is wrong with our society is that no regular people can run for office. You’ve got to be rich and well-connected to have the slightest shot at it.
Palin is the only example I can think of to the contrary, maybe there are others. But this whole thing sucks.

CambellBrown on September 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Slightly OT: Speaking of jobs. Solyndra was already being audited when obama was backing them, and they knew it. This is going to be bigger than F&F scandal I believe

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

“The Overview of the Continuing Crises of Employment and Unemployment and Jobs Created and Saved Plan Which You must Pass Right Now But Must Really Wait Until I Actually develop an Overview of the Bullet Points of the Analysis of another Review of Unemployment and Jobs in America While I’m Golfing and Working at Soup Kitchens to commemorate 9/11 and Vacationing During this Unprecedented Crises I Inherited from Chimpy McHitlerBush Bill, Act II, Part IV – A New Hope Which has Been Digitally Re-Mastered and Comes out on Blu-Ray Today So Just Give Me Another Half-Trillion Dollars Already and Shut-Up Act.”

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

On Yahoo News:

1 in 6 Americans are now in poverty.

And yet this imbecile is still supported by 40% of the people. Unreal.

angryed on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

………..these “comedians” are overrated and over paid if this is all they’ve got.

Baxter Greene on September 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Well… they have to at least pretend that they’re doing their jobs… obviously though… their hearts are not in it.

RalphyBoy on September 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

This is going to be bigger than F&F scandal I believe

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

What’s that/lsm

RalphyBoy on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

What’s that/lsm

RalphyBoy on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Fast & Furious gunrunning scandal

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Wow. I hoe you’re right, Tina. I wish I could be as optimistic about the electorate. Remember these are the same folks who elected an obviously incompetent poseur, arguably corrupt and with a long history of political chicanery and radical, anti-American beliefs and associations which were obvious to anyone who bothered to spend a few minutes investigating before they cast their vote for the highest office in the land at a critical moment in our history.

novaculus on September 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

novaculus on September 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Oops! hoe = hope

I wish they would fix whatever is wrong with the “preview”.

novaculus on September 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Absolutely fantastic. I started to kind of grin, then smile, then chuckle and ended up laughing out loud in my office.

People may wonder what’s wrong with me…

Washington Nearsider on September 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I’d have liked the Rick-Perry-met-his-wife-in-grade-school story better if he had punched his young rival, Willard, for staring too much…

Fallon on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Fast & Furious gunrunning scandal

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yeah… I had my lsm hat on when I asked. Point being shouldn’t this F&F be a daily ass kicking for the AG/Barry from the media? Am I missing that.

RalphyBoy on September 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM

The Obama has no Jobs Job!
Lawrence on September 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM

..there, now you can re-use that comment on the first Wednesday of November 2012.

The War Planner on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Obama inherited Seal Team 6

LeeSeneca on September 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM

This is going to be bigger than F&F scandal I believe

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, cause Solyndra has killed……. Oh, wait…

AlexJ on September 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Plain talk on the idiot Eric Holder: Issa: Eric Holder So “Inept He Is Dangerous”

It’s about time.

slickwillie2001 on September 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

BTW – A copy of the Jobs Act Bill that President Obama wants Congress to pass “right away” has still not been posted on the WhiteHouse.gov website for the American people to be able to review the specifics.

There are “Highlights” and a “Fact Sheet and Overview,” but the headline says: “American Jobs Act: Read All the Details.” So I was expecting to see “all the details” which to me means a copy of the Bill.

American Jobs Act: Read All the Details

On Thursday September 8, President Obama presented the American Jobs Act in an address to Congress. The purpose of the American Jobs Act is simple: put more people back to work and put more money in the pockets of working Americans. We’ve created some fact sheets you can download that explain what the President is asking Congress to do, and what the Jobs Act will mean for you.

Download the highlights of the Jobs Act

Read the complete overview of the Jobs Act

See what impact the American Jobs Act will have in your state

Watch the enhanced version of the President’s Address to Congress which features graphs, charts and other facts that influenced the President’s decision making.

Find out how state and local officials are responding to the American Jobs Act

Still have more questions? Join senior White House officials on Twitter next week for office hours

We shouldn’t have to wait for Congress to pass the bill for us to find out what’s in it – to paraphrase Nancy Pelosi! The ObamaCare Bill certainly taught us that lesson.

Sigh. I guess we will have to wait for “senior White House officials” to give us the details via Twitter next week.

Is it November 2012 yet?

wren on September 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM

1 in 6 Americans are now in poverty.

And yet this imbecile is still supported by 40% of the people. Unreal.

angryed on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Obviously its all the GOP’s fault. They destroyed America under Bush, when the DEMs got control of congress, the GOP blocked them, and now they are still halting the Messiah from completing his task of saving the poor.

V-rod on September 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Meh, only funny thing in the video was one of John Stewart’s rare flashes of brilliance with the:

“Remember Me I’m the Guy that F**cking Got Bin Laden Employment Act of 2011″

The rest was…well, typical of lefty “humor.” I’m amazed at the amount of people that actually laugh at it.

Pattosensei on September 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM

clearly exposed the vulnerabilities of each of the GOP frontrunners.

I remember as a youngster FDR’s death and some haberdasher from KC was our new POTUS. What a comedown. I remember Ronald Reagan as a washed up actor from Bedtime for Bonzo and host of Wagon Train sponsored by GE. My private thoughts were how will we survive as a country? It’s because we are a great people and demand excellence. I believe we have a problem with the Political Class running this country. It’s time, we the people find a leader who will demand excellence from themselves, congress, and political parties.
All candidates are less than inspiring but cream rises to the top.

Herb on September 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM