Big get: Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval endorses Perry

posted at 9:34 pm on September 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

Bigger than Jindal’s endorsement?

Our nation needs a leader in the White House who understands the role of government and our economy. Governor Rick Perry has the strongest record of job creation, fiscal discipline, and executive branch leadership among the presidential candidates. As a governor, Rick Perry created a tremendous blueprint for job creation and as President, I know he will get America working again. I consider Governor Perry a friend and I am proud to endorse his campaign for President.

Not a huge surprise as he and Perry have an advisor in common and know each other through the RGA, but surprising enough insofar as Nevada’s supposed to be one of Romney’s two early-state strongholds. An endorsement this early from a popular governor — his approval rating as of mid-July was 53/29 — is a shot across Mitt’s bow that he should expect the state to be contested vigorously. And like Jindal’s endorsement, it’s a boost of confidence for Perry after the beating he’s taken over Social Security. (According to PPP’s latest, he’s lost five points to Obama in a hypothetical match-up in just three weeks.) The more conservative big shots he can get on his side, the more the Overton window on entitlements moves in the primary.

One other footnote: Along with Rubio and Susana Martinez, Sandoval’s part of the GOP’s new generation of Latino stars. That may not mean much in the primary, but Obama does look vulnerable among Latinos in the general. Remember this Gallup poll from last week? He’s lost 27 points among the demographic since Inauguration Day and is now below the water line with 48 percent approval. McCain’s years of amnesty shilling did nothing for him last election so I’m not getting my hopes up this time, but if there’s a candidate in the field who might be able to threaten Obama among Latino voters, it’s Perry. And the early Sandoval endorsement can only help.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

promachus, unseen and dddrtin

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM

LoL!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM

promachus on September 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Since you seem to be unwilling to just stay @ C4P, or start your OWN damn blog…quit fracking whining!!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM

annoyinglittletwerp was at a watching party for the debate. Did she ever say what other reps thought?

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I posted an after report on the open thread yesterday. Here’s a Cliffnotes version:
There were about 40 people there-mostly Perry supporters w/ a handful of very vocal Ronulans thrown in..
The concensus was that Perry won. Personally-i was less impressed by his performance on Tuesday than I was w/ the one last week-but I obviously still support him.

Ronulan’s cheered everything Chief Ronulan said. He-and they- were booed by everyone else.
Cain got some applause but people weren’t thrilled that he wants to mend rather than end the EPA.
Huntsmann was laughed at-until he referred to something Perry said as treasonous. It was all boos from then on.
Santorum is liked-but Perry is conservative so there’s no need for Santorum.
Newt got some cheers because of his willingness to take on Obama rather than his fellow candidates.

We’ve saved the best for last. Michelle Bachmann the Jenny McCarthy wannabee. Going after Perry’s record was fine-but she made it personal and then suggested that he was corrupt. My husband was actually leaning toward Bachmann. That’s over. He’s now in the Perry camp.
Hopefully the BS she pulled on Monday night will knock the shrill, anti-vac twit out of the race.
Yeah-I saw the Palin/Greta clip. Sarah Palin can play dirty pool as well. I thought she was above that. Obviously she’s not.
I’ll leave it at that.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Pro-choice Brian Sandoval?

steebo77 on September 14, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Pro-choice Brian Sandoval?

steebo77 on September 14, 2011 at 3:00 AM

At night you check under your bed for Rick Perry.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 14, 2011 at 3:03 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Thanks for the recap, but I think Perry fans need to hold their candidate to a higher standard here. He was certainly under constant fire but regardless, he did not do well considering these were all issues he should have been prepared to address. He slapped down Romney and Bachmann looked to have done more damage to herself, but Perry should have had better answers and a better over all performancy.

I like Perry the best, but I see too many excuses and rationalizations made in this thread by other Perry supporters. He was wrong on gardasil, and he needs to just apologize and leave it at that. He is weak on immigration and will absolutely need to address this again, and next time leave out the race card crap about how someone’s last name sounds. He also needs to better highlight his accomplishments as Governor in addition to his economic record which, I have to say, he seems to think will stand on its own without his need to consistently defend it.

I agree with your Palin comment, her little shadow campaign needs to end if she is going to start naming names and insinuating people are corrupt. I am a big fan of her anti crony capitalist message but as long as she is accusing people outright of being a crony capitalist, she needs to do it on stage and take the heat like everyone else, or announce that she is not in fact running; sniping at people from a distance is ok if you’re a pundit. One thing I always liked about Sarah was her directness, but the way she played coy as if she never knew about the Merck donations and that Bachmann’s accusation suddenly lit a light bulb in her head was typical underhanded politics; just come out and say it Sarah. Nobody is more in tune with the right wing blogosphere than Sarah Palin, she knows what we know and says what we say, the idea that she didn’t already know about Merck before the debate (and took Bachmann’s word at face value) is laughable.

Daemonocracy on September 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM

He did as you say a month ago, actually way back when he rescinded the order. That it’s pushed forward now has nothing to do with Gov. Perry. His main issue is the economy and the 10th Amendment. He crushes everyone else on those issues so they have to hammer him on killing old people and children. Bachmann, Romney and Pawlenty are making arguments that would make Teddy Kennedy proud. Liars the lot of them.

The whole vaccination issue is tin foil hat BS from the dopey wing of the Tea Party. A little history for the lurking ignoramuses… Perry and I are both 61. When we were in school governments didn’t micro-manage our lives even 5% as much as now. Still they did mandate for the public health vaccinations for tuberculosis and polio and sometimes other illneses. The only opt out was for religious reasons and it had to be requested in writing. The polio immunization program virtually wiped out polio in America and made Jonas Salk a multi-millionaire. Ms. Michelle would consider that victory a corrupt evil. Yes, hundreds, maybe thousands, of children were harmed by the vaccine. It was statistically acceptable. Americans used to understand how the real world works.

I’ll take Rick’s word for it that he thought he was doing a good thing and I accept his apology regarding the executive order. That his word isn’t good enough for Bachmann, Romney and Santorum says more about their lack of party loyalty and simple good manners than it does about Perry’s record as governor. Just more proof that most Republicans are really Democrats under the skin.

rcl on September 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Am unhappy with Michele Bachmann on the Gardasil issue. The mental retardation thing she mentioned on Greta(?) was completely unnecessary. I love her positions, but I feel more comfortable with someone who has executive experience as POTUS considering the state of the economy. Perry has a record of job creation and isn’t afraid to fight to bring business to his state (see Facebook). Perry isn’t perfect, but I think he’s the most well rounded. We can push him on immigration and building a wall vs putting more boots on the ground at the border doesn’t matter as the big picture is better border security. Yes, that in-state tuition thing sucks, but we don’t have perfect candidates. Romney is pissing me off. He’s a perpetual campaigner who’s turned jerk. The others aren’t doing enough, although I like most of what they say—except Ron Paul who is so good on economics, but atrocious with his foreign policy idiocy and therefore would not get my primary vote. So, at this point, it’s Perry, then Bachmann for me.

Renwaa on September 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Enough already! AP has a point, there is no shortage of SP sites ther are those of us who would wish a more broad ranged site for discussion.

Really,……pllllleeeeeease!

Archimedes

Let’s be honest. It is not the Palin supporters that make it all about her. It is the haters that come out to bash her on every thread. We just come out here to correct you.

Dan Pet on September 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM

They don’t want to face the fact that Palin can’t win. When you have CONSERVATIVES like Ann Coulter and Erik Erickson saying Palin can’t win …. it’s over.

terryannonline

OHHH..I had this all wrong. I didn’t realize that if someone gets TWO freakin’ votes, they win the primary… Now I see. Well, let’s close this whole show down. We have a winner. This makes things so much easier for me not having to go the polls and all on primary day. Gee, terryann, you really freed up my primary day. I can go pick up my dry cleaning.

Dan Pet on September 14, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Okay, I’ll play. Name three people who will endorse Palin if she runs

Haley, Martinez, Hatch, Gingrich, West, Scott, Bachmann, Branstad, McCain, Fallin, Ayotte, Demint, Lieberman.

Dan Pet on September 14, 2011 at 6:07 AM

annoyinglittletwerp

Sounds like you are doing all the whining.

Dan Pet on September 14, 2011 at 6:08 AM

rcl on September 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Great post. Especially about some of the others not having good manners or grace about accepting his apology.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM

After taht your credability went downhill fast.
Ann COulter support Chistie -a liberal -gun grabber, amnesty, pro-death, and the worst type of blustery bully (is that why she likes him?) imaginable. I could care that he has a personal war with the teacher’s unions. One good deed doesn’t make a sinner a saint.
So, Ann, along with the DC GOPand punditry gate-keepers, all have ganged up on SP because they fear her and can’t control her-she won’t play their game-and she’s not a RINO, which is the only kind of conservative they’ll ever support, in order to keep their lucrative status quo.

Don L on September 14, 2011 at 6:36 AM

I don’t think I could name more than ten state governors other than my own. That I don’t know about Sandoval isn’t surprising. That his endorsement doesn’t mean anything to me isn’t surprising either. I am sure that it carries weight with many. How many is yet to be seen, but it can’t hurt. However, my concerns about Perry are not assuaged by endorsements. The questions remain. He is not the conservative we are waiting for, but is he enough? I just don’t know.

Extrafishy on September 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Obvious that Haley Barbour is attempting to corrupt the primary with arm twisting members of the RGA to endorse the candidate he has selected. The Republican establishment just refuses to admit that the Tea Party is a game changer. The political class is not going to choose our candidate any longer, we will.

Barbour will probably send out a new little lackey every day with another endorsement of $lick Rick$ter. This will turn more of the electorate off to Perry than if Barbour just shut up and left well enough alone. Stupid is as stupid does. It’s a new ball game and the RGA is still playing T-ball. LOL

Jayrae on September 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Jayrae on September 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM

You are joking right? The idea that the establishment backs Perry is ridiculous. The establishment is firmly behind Romney. Rick Perry has a lot of flaws, no doubt, but claiming that he is the establishment’s hand picked candidate is just crazy. I’m guessing you are either a Palin or Paul supporter?

Monkeytoe on September 14, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Extrafishy on September 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Very few endorsements mean much to those who are actively engaged in politics. I could probably name only 2 or 3 individuals whose endorsements could potentially influence me.

but, for people who don’t follow politics closesly and who live in the state, if they like their governor, an endorsement from him/her probably means a lot. Same with an endorsement from their Senator or representative. And, of course, very few people are going to know the governors of other states. I know who the governor of my state plus CA, NJ, WI (only b/c of the whole union thing), MA, NC, LA and TX are – that’s about it. And I follow politics pretty closely.

Monkeytoe on September 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Rick Perry is the repub estab last hurrah. This is nothing
more than a blatant attempt to give Rick Perry the appearance
of having many repub leaders behind him in order to keep
Palin from announcing and to put Romney back on his heels. What does this guy know about Perry?
This guy either was promised something, wants to get national
attention and/or is a dumbass – perhaps all three.

Pawlenty proved he is dumb already; and Jindhal just proved
himself to BE as weak as he appeared in that televised address
response a few years ago. And I like this guy…he has done
some great things for his state…but, come , on – it is too
early to endorse anyone – the field is not set and we are
just beginning to learn about their records and ideas.

Amjean on September 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Monkeytoe on September 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I like my governor (Daniels) but didn’t think he’d be an especially good president at this time (not conservative enough – or at all depending on your perspective). I don’t imagine his endorsement of anyone would move me much, if at all.

SKYFOX on September 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

promachus on September 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Shouldn’t you go find a Palin worship site for your supplications since this site bugs you so much? Seriously, how sick in the head are you that you continue to assault yourself with the unrelenting “victimization” of the object of your idolization by the despicable Allah Pundit?

Allah is a moderate, but he is supremely fair in his assessment of candidates. And he is more dead on when he castigates you lunatics who prostrate themselves and grovel at the alter of St Palin the Victimized.

csdeven on September 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

My understanding of the terms of use and general practice is that commenters are free to share their reactions to said postings, however. Correct?

cs89 on September 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

The loons are free to complain about being called out on their idiotic comments.

csdeven on September 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Just calling me a Palin shill or anything doesn’t invalidate my point.

promachus on September 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM

You are a Palin worshiper and a loon. And no one has to “just” call you that. All you have to do is post a comment and it is invalidated immediately.

csdeven on September 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Dan Pet on September 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM

That’s a chicken-egg argument. It may or may not be true that currently, Palin haters are the first to bring up Palin on variuos threads, but they wouldn’t do that if the Palin lovers didn’t inundate threads in the past to make them all about Palin.

My guess is that if the palin lovers stopped, so would the palin haters. I’m willing to be money that the opposite is not true. And, for the record, I am not a Palin hater or lover. I like and respect her and would have no problem with her getting in the race, and would even consider her for my primary vote. I just don’t want every thread to be about Palin.

Monkeytoe on September 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I have been saying the same since Perry first announced…It is Perry’s to lose.

right2bright on September 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

This endorsement could definitely put the Nevada primary in play. Next shoe to drop: Whom will Sen. Marco Rubio endorse?

Perry is nowhere near “the Republican establishment”, which is probably behind Romney right now. And if the Tea Party is really a game changer, Romney during the last debate said that if the Tea Party is for limited government, he agrees with them.

You’re probably worried about the wrong Governor Haley in terms of endorsements. SC is an early primary state, and whom will Gov. Nikki Haley endorse?

Steve Z on September 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Three things will kill Perry:

1. Illegal immigration and open borders

2. Crony capitalism and corruption. With the information that is coming out about the hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts he and his family have received from backers and special interests (trips to bowl games, other out of state sporting events, Europe, etc. to jobs for his children) and grants for his backers, protection from laqwsuits for homebuilders, etc.). He makes Cook County politicians green with envy. Just because it isn’t illegal under Texas’s lax campaign financing laws don’t make it any less corrupt or dishonest.

3. Perry is a horrible debater

bw222 on September 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

bw222 on September 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The Gardasil flap is not an issue that, by itself, will irreparably damage Perry. But it is a problem for we conservatives who want to like Perry but find this kind of stunt troubling. When combined with the concerns you enumerated, it becomes a formidable obstacle.
Personally, I’m not too worked up about him being a horrible debater, but if he’s so lackluster he could lose to Obama in a one-on-one, that’s bad.

Extrafishy on September 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

bw222 on September 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Immigration and “open borders” all the other candidates have basically the same policies. It will be a non-issue in the debates because they won’t be able to attack him, since they have the same policies.
Cronyism is the oldest liberal class warfare policy. It is a classic liberal attack, and only the liberals and weak minded will fall for that. The same attack as Cheney/Haliburton, or Bush/Oil (both Bush’s), it’s old but effective against ill informed and basically easily led. And “long time” leader has contacts and relationships with successful business people, that is why it is effective, but almost always a non-issue, except for liberals and class warfare fools.
He is a good enough debater not to lose, and that is the only thing important. You don’t win an election by winning a debate, but you can lose one by losing a debate. He is smart enough not to “lose”.
Your three points are worthless…no offense, but they are a desperate attack on Perry.
Now find something of substance…

right2bright on September 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

bw222 on September 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I always like to get on record who you guys support…who is the candidate that you support?

right2bright on September 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Amjean on September 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Wow. Jindal and Sandoval are establishment now? ok then

Daemonocracy on September 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

rcl on September 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM

I know he apologized, he was asked about it his first day of campaigning and he admitted it was a mistake. I also understand that he was just trying to provide an explanation for why he did what he did, but in doing so he just gave Bachmann an opportunity to demagogue the issue. Most conservatives strongly disagree with the mandate, his own state legislature rebelled against him, so he needs to stick with admitting he was wrong, apologizing for it and be done with it.

Daemonocracy on September 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Romney still wins Nevada.

Why does this supposedly count as a net positive for Perry among conservatives? Sandoval is pro-abortion.

scotash on September 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Amjean on September 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Wow. Jindal and Sandoval are establishment now? ok then

Daemonocracy on September 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

…or there is something they think they can gain for themselves with their endorsement for Perry……or they are dumb. You
take your pick.

Again I question…..why would one endorse someone when the field
is not set….when the debates have just started….and we have
yet to learn what we need to know about each of these candidates?

And again I state…..there either is something in it for them
or they are dumb or someone on the repub estab side asked them
to do it….and they are still dumb to do it.

If you can come up with a reason I would love to hear it (only
if it makes sense, of course).

Amjean on September 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Amjean on September 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

When Sarah Palin made all those endorsements in 2010, was she looking to gain from them?

Daemonocracy on September 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM