Bachmann: Gardasil causes “mental retardation”

posted at 10:45 am on September 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, I noted that Michele Bachmann finally scored points on Rick Perry by hitting him on his ties to Merck and linking that to the Gardasil mandate Perry imposed through executive order in Texas. This is a fair point on Perry’s record, even given his apology for pursuing the mandate through EO instead of through the legislature, and it’s not surprising that Bachmann was the candidate to first take advantage of the opening. (Mitt Romney passed a mandate on health insurance for all citizens of Massachusetts, which pretty much puts this issue out of reach for him.) However, Bachmann took a winning argument about the method and the wisdom of mandating a vaccination for a limited-spread virus and turned it into an anti-vaccination argument, especially in this post-debate argument on Fox with Greta van Susteren (via The Right Scoop):

There’s a woman who came up crying to me tonight after the debate. She said her daughter was given that vaccine. She told me her daughter suffered mental retardation as a result of that vaccine.

Huh? “Mental retardation” typically takes place in a pre- or neo-natal event. Autism becomes apparent in the first couple of years of life — and primarily affects boys. Gardasil vaccinations take place among girls between 9-12 years of age. Even assuming that this anecdote is arguably true, it wouldn’t be either “mental retardation” or autism, but brain damage.

The FDA has received no reports of brain damage as a result of HPV vaccines Gardasil and Cervarix.  Among the reports that correlate seriously adverse reactions to either, the FDA lists blood clots, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and 68 deaths during the entire run of the drugs.  The FDA found no causal connection to any of these serious adverse events and found plenty of contributing factors to all — and all of the events are exceedingly rare.

The “mental retardation” argument is a rehash of the thoroughly discredited notion that vaccines containing thimerasol caused a rapid increase in diagnosed autism cases.  That started with a badly-botched report in Lancet that allowed one researcher to manipulate a ridiculously small sample of twelve cases in order to reach far-sweeping conclusions about thimerasol.  That preservative hasn’t been included in vaccines for years, at least not in the US, and the rate of autism diagnoses remain unchanged.

The most charitable analysis that can be offered in this case for Bachmann is that she got duped into repeating a vaccine-scare urban legend on national television.  It looks more like Bachmann sensed that she had won a point and wanted to go in for the kill, didn’t bother to check the facts, and didn’t care that she was stoking an anti-vaccination paranoid conspiracy theory, either.  Neither shines a particularly favorable light on Bachmann.

Rick Santorum took the correct position on the Gardasil issue.  We mandate certain vaccines in children because we mandate children be gathered for educational purposes for many years (in private or public schools), and certain diseases are easily communicable in those settings.  By mandating vaccinations against whooping cough, measles, and mumps, we are protecting children who would otherwise get exposed without any action on their part except compliance with the law.  That’s not true with HPV, and parents should decide for themselves whether to inoculate their sons and daughters with Gardasil or Cervarix.  If Perry wanted to make those inoculations more accessible, he could have crafted an opt-in system rather than forcing parents to opt out.

Update: Politico’s Ben Smith notes that Bachmann’s statement is getting some pushback in the health sector:

The alleged link between vaccination and mental disabilities — autism is the one frequently cited — has been repeatedly debunked, with the key research on the issue in a British journal withdrawn years ago. But the theory has lived on, and contributed to declining vaccine rates and — advocates for autistic children say — scientific distraction.

“Congresswoman Bachmann’s decision to spread fear of vaccines is dangerous and irresponsible,” said Evan Siegfried, a spokesman for the Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership. “There is zero credible scientific evidence that vaccines cause mental retardation or autism. She should cease trying to foment fear in order to advance her political agenda.”

“Irresponsible” is correct, and a bad tactical error, too.  Instead of highlighting Perry’s faulty actions in Texas, she made herself and (at best) her ignorance on the matter the story.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Very late to the Bachman threads associated with last night’s debate.

That said, someone must have gotten to her about her hair at last week’s debate.

Was that the Michele Bachman or someone else last night at the Tea Party-CNN debate? I didn’t recognize her at first.

BuckeyeSam on September 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Thank you.

idesign on September 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I did what I should have done before I shot my mouth off.
I googled.
I did what MB did-I took something as gospel w/ out checking the facts.
I do really apologize.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Considering the US-Mexico border is 1800 miles longer than the DMZ i’m not so sure that is a common sense solution…

Bradky on September 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM

And it is manned along its entire length by soldiers. Also it is not just a wall but a defense in depth that stretches back for many miles. The cost of doing this along the southerns border would be staggering. We would need 10-20 more Army divisions just to man it. A fence is too simplistic of an idea.

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I love when politicans play Dr.

You are officially done Ms Bachmann. I will still defend those who claim you are “crazy and dumb” – but this pathetic gender-based attempt to hammer Perry, using voodoo death lies – is what makes me turn my nose to a politician.

Oddly enough – this silly banter was heralded here – as some sort of “knock against that slow Perry” by HA folks – just 12 hours ago.

And now – mea culpa to the ridiculous statments made during the debate and later on Greta.

Odie1941 on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Bachmann should head to the kitchen and make me a sammich.

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Heh, 2,100 years for China to build theirs
72 miles for Hadrian’s
In some places, neither is much of a wall.
cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Neither empire had access to modern heavy-construction equipment either, Hadrian’s Wall was built by hand by the legions who built arrow-straight roads simultaneously to ferry the wall materials.

I’ve got faith that Americans can build a wall, and if in some places the “wall” is more sensor arrays than physical barriers, then so be it.

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Another glassey-eyed moment for Bachmann…

Fartnokker on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Should we give her another chance?

Governor Perry says if given the option again he would not issue the mandate. However, as President of the United States there are no mulligans; there are no do-overs.”

OOOPS!

Guess not…

cs89 on September 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I didn’t like Perry’s strategy of an EO at all, but there appears to have been some logic behind making the vaccine “mandatory” while including what has been described in another comment thread here at HA as the easiest of all opt-outs.

Thank you. This was done so insurance could pay for the vaccines. Nobody is pointing that out, and it is an important angle on this.

I think MB just looked bad last night, like she was desperate and has an axe to grind against Perry because he stole her thunder. It didn’t help her at all, especially when she had the author of Romneycare right there. Good grief, which was worse?

Santorum just joined the pile-on and ended up looking like a jerk as well. I am glad I got to see this side of her in response to the added pressure though, it’s good to know about someone running for our highest office.

Now can we talk about JOBS?!!! Dang.

kg598301 on September 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

BTw: Palin then tweeted the same accusation-so I’ve heard.
If true-then it speaks very badly of Palin.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM
Quit making stuff up…..

idesign on September 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

What I heard/saw Palin repeat on Fox News was the accusation of crony capitalism against Perry regarding Merck and the vaccine.

Of course, she is getting paid by Fox while she is still contemplating getting into the race.

Shay on September 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Sept 22, in FL on Fox

kerrhome on September 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Another OT- wonder if we’ll get a 3rd Sept. HotAir poll posted after that one?

/s

cs89 on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

A fence is too simplistic of an idea.

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Fair enough. Please provide as nuanced a solution as you’d like, as long as it doesn’t include amnesty.

And please don’t say it’s “impossible” or say that one has to be built on the Canadian border too or any one of a number of road blocks to the road block arguments that have been forwarded, mainly by liberals.

A perfectly lovely fence could probably be built and maintained with spare change from Obama’s stimulus alone.

Drained Brain on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I did what I should have done before I shot my mouth off.
I googled.
I did what MB did-I took something as gospel w/ out checking the facts.
I do really apologize.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Thanks again!

We all shoot our mouths off from time to time…

idesign on September 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Mmmmm, Hmmm, and the expense will do to the US what building Hadrian’s wall did to his empire, and all the Walls in China did to the dynasty’s that built them.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Bachmann should head to the kitchen and make me a sammich.

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Oh Ricky….
Have her make me one too.

Fartnokker on September 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

There is a saying in sales, “Don’t sell past the close.”

Fallon on September 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Drained Brain on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

A national biometric ID card with penalties for any one who hires an illegal. They would self deport.

Are y’all okay with that?

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Congresswoman, The bleach you recently put all over your hair must have seeped into your brain. You are an even bigger embarrassment than I thought possible.

lonestar1 on September 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM

…mandating a vaccination for a limited-spread virus…

I suppose by some standard any virus is limited-spread. HPV is actually the most widely-spread STD in the United States. Roughly 25% of all females between ages 14 and 60 are infected at any one time (and it’s estimated that about 50% of all sexually active adults, male and female, will contract one form or another at some point in their lives). And the prevalence of the strains associated with elevated risk for cervical cancer is similar to that of strains that aren’t.

(There’s also suspicion that the “high risk” strains put both males and females at risk of cancers of the throat and mouth, though there’s not yet supporting–or refuting–formal research on that.)

Blacklake on September 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM

It’s moments like this that make me wonder if Bachmann was speaking from personal experience with this comment.

Pcoop on September 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Late to the thread so if this is a repeat I ask forgiveness. Can some one please explain how this is even an issue considering that there was an “opt out” for parents? Another thing that bothers me about people using a vaccine against Perry when in every state in order for your children to attend public schools they MUST be vaccinated.

PS when Santorum said “why not give parents an “opt in” I about fell over laughing. How is that different from an “opt out”? A choice is a choice.

Perry admited he went about it the wrong way, LET IT GO!

milwife88 on September 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Are y’all okay with that?

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM

A National ID card???

Hell no, I’m not okay with that! What’s next? National tattoos? National RFID chips?

JohnGalt23 on September 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Drained Brain on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

The only way to do this is via technology. There are only certain paths that can be taken across the border, so monitor those with drones and sensors. Then build some walls in the urban areas and main approach channels. Beef up the Border Patrol and deport anyone caught immediately.

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Women in politics are an embarrassment because women are nuts in general.

Palin can barely speak in coherent sentences and Bachmann is an over the top, hysterical soccer mom.

Maybe Nikki Haley can convince me a woman is capable of the presidency?

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

There is a saying in sales, “Don’t sell past the close.”

Fallon on September 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Funny you said that – I echoed it an hour ago to my wife.

A great sales mentor taught me 2 things:

1) close

2) get out

Odie1941 on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I found exactly what others were writing about when they were saying that Palin had taken the low road. It wasn’t Twitter-it was on Greta…and she was basically argeeing with MB that Perry had gotten a pay-off from Merck to push Gardasil.
Someone mentioned it in another thread.

On Greta last night, Palin hammered him on the crony capitalism aspect of the EO.

mbs on September 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Perry got all of $5000 from Merck. In political campaigns the size of the ones he’s run-that’s nothing.

Shame on Palin for taking that road.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Funny you said that – I echoed it an hour ago to my wife.

A great sales mentor taught me 2 things:

1) close

2) get out

Odie1941 on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

A classic hipsters guide to a one night stand.

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

What “relationship”? An aide who used to lobby for Merck (I think), and a $5K campaign donation? Gee, the ties…they run deep./
I don’t know many that are brushing this off because he now says the EO was a mistake. But, what else do you want here? Does this error in judgment, that HE himself has acknowledged, disqualify him from higher office? Is an EO about a vaccine more important than the economy and other pressing issues?
changer1701 on September 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I’ll overlook the snarky attempt to make me look unreasonable and respond. ;)

If you don’t see that there are real questions as to why he would mandate this drug, that aren’t answered by his recent admission that it was a mistake, perhaps you don’t see a need to question his relationship with the company that profits from it. That’s your prerogative. However, I just can’t reconcile all the factors involved with why he thought mandating it was a good idea, and so I wonder what could have motivated him. Trust me, I don’t think it was a mere 5 grand. It well might be just a case of poor judgment and a misplaced desire to take care of us, ie nanny stater. However, he did have a relationship with someone who stood to profit from his mandate. I have no idea how deep that relationship ran, and chances are, nor do you.

Now, does it disqualify him from office? No, but it certainly puts him nearer to the bottom of preferred candidates for me (though not as far down as Romney), because it isn’t just the EO, it is the thinking/reasoning behind it. It is also his doubling down against those who disagreed with him when he made his statement after the mandate was struck down. That statement causes me to question his sincerity when he now ‘admits’ it was a mistake… Have you read his statement?

Is it more important than the economy….? Well, first, I’m not one who thinks the only thing we need to worry about is the economy. Also, Perry has more problems than just the vaccine EO. That said, I will still vote for Perry over Obama, though it will not be an enthusiastic vote and probably won’t include financial or active support. I just have too many questions about him, but I will vote for anyone with a pro-life/social conservative record (which is why I won’t even vote for Romney) over Obama, and Perry mostly does have that (aside from this stupid EO).

pannw on September 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

the FDA lists blood clots

I suppose those could affect the brain.

Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Which cuts off oxygen to the brain.

and 68 deaths

What caused the deaths? I’m guessing it was lack of oxygen from the Guillain-Barre Syndrome. It’s probably likely that the ones who barely survived it suffered some brain damage.

Buddahpundit on September 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Maggie Thatcher did pretty well.
No-Neither Palin nor Bachmann or Bchmann are Maggie Thatchers-but that doesn’t negate all that the Iron lady achieved!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I’m pretty much done with her.

She ain’t no Palin, that’s for sure.

RedNewEnglander on September 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Perry got $5,000 that is known of. But his Chief of Staff also got a job guarantee. That raises the stakes a bit, and is something neither Bachmann nor Palin would have condoned.

Freelancer on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

There is a huge difference between Bachmann quoting the child’s mother and Perry’s EO mandate for Guardasil, the money and his ties to Merck. I question Perry’s judgement despite his acknowledgement that the Guardasil mandate was a mistake.

Perry’s immigration policies also are a concern. He called for more boots on the ground yet he doesn’t support building a border fence (says it is a “ridiculous” idea), which makes enforcement more difficult. He wants illegal alien college students in TX to pay in-state tuition which further burdens taxpayers.

GrannySunni on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

the next debate should be Mittens, Perry, Cain and Newt… that would be one worth watching.

mankai on September 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I’ll second that!

PrincipleStand on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Cue Patsy Cline. Craaaazzzzy.

John the Libertarian on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Bachmann couldn’t let it go by just attacking the idea of mandating the vaccine. She had to go and make unscientific claims about adverse side effects.
amerpundit on September 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Therein lies MB’s downfall. One step forward, two steps back. She needed to focus on the EO.

conservative pilgrim on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Walls are only used by evil Commies. Sovereign borders are so 19th century. I’ll tell you what kind of wall we need: a wall of government employees giving candy to illegal aliens as they jump the border.

And if Rick Perry proposed that, you can bet some people here would explain how it was a great idea.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

As compared to the never-ending and rising expense of care and feeding for tens of millions of illegals, and it isn’t just job seekers streaming across the border.

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Why isn’t gryphon defending Bachmann over this?

After all, she’s his candidate.

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Nice picture. Doubtful we’d see one Pawlenty or Romney like that.

/ off-topic

SouthernGent on September 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM

The sign that desperation is setting in. Excuse me while I take aim at my foot!

pgrossjr on September 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Women in politics are an embarrassment because women are nuts in general.

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

How sexist and offensive!!
On second thought…my ex IS a crazy bitch..

Fartnokker on September 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Freelancer on September 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

HALLIBURTON!!!!!!!!!!

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM

From another thread:

Bachmann is grating and I also didn’t like how Palin piled on at Fox. Is she piling on, getting paid as a contributor or getting paid as a candidate. This does not pass the smell test at all. You can’t get paid by Fox to sit there and attack candidates you will end up running against. Are they going to pay Perry to do the same?

kerrhome on September 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Agreed. Fox has no business keeping her as a paid contributor as long as she’s still toying with a presidential run. They cut others loose, and told Huckabee he had to decide one way or another…what about Palin?

changer1701 on September 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Nuff said.

Shay on September 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

One of the most disturbing things about this clip is that Michelle Bachmann was approached by a random, hysterical, crying woman and she felt compelled to repeat her rant on national TV as if it we’re scientific evidence of something or other.

bitsy on September 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM

It would be funny if that woman turned out to be a plant sent by another candidate, or even the democratics. If they didn’t think of it before, now they will.

slickwillie2001 on September 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Perry admited he went about it the wrong way, LET IT GO!

milwife88 on September 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM

It is a real difference. About that Opt Out…

pannw on September 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Bachmann doesn’t like that Sherriff Joe is the most gaffetastic and wants first place…..

maineconservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Michelle Bachmann is a crazy-eyed loopy bubble head. She should be President of the PTA and Commander-in-Chief of school bake sales, and not one bit more.

Honestly, who in their right mind would ever ever vote for her as POTUS? I’d rather see Obama keep the position than see her take over.

FlatFoot on September 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Why isn’t gryphon defending Bachmann over this?

After all, she’s his candidate.

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

To busy in the Tea Party debate thread harping on Gardasil. This one doesn’t carry on his line of attack against perry.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

milwife88 on September 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Actually in Texas you can “opt-out” of every single vaccine and still have your kid in public school. Some families opt-out for religious reasons, some children are opted out due to underlying health issues that prevent vaccination, for instance they went into anaphylactic shock from the first dose of the chickenpox vaccine or severe allergies to gelatin or neomycin. Sadly some still opt-out due to misinformation like Ms. Bachmann’s.

I know one thing there is no way I want Jenny McCarthy as my next President or VP. Bachmann was never going to win the primary anyway but she had a shot at a legitimate position in the next Republican administration. There is no way I want someone as stupid as Jenny McCarthy running anything in the country.

batterup on September 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

A classic hipsters guide to a one night stand.

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I cuddle. Hipster 2.0

Odie1941 on September 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

The vaccine works and should be widely available to both men and women who are sexually active. Men get it and pass it on to females who get cancer of the cervix. Let’s try to wipe the virus out in this country. All that said, it does not give one a license to be promiscuous. I think we have all learned through the years there are more sexually transmitted viruses out there that can be caught.

I have never regarded Bachmann as a serious candidate. Right now I am wavering between Perry and Romney. I won’t someone who is electable and someone with executive experience.

SC.Charlie on September 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, he’s bearing down on Perry’s flank, and doesn’t see his own flank literally collapsing on itself.

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

She is a shrill moron who should go back to singing Happy birthday Elvis on Presley’s death anniversary.

Hilts on September 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Israel/Gaza? Korean DMZ

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

A bad idean is a bad idea, no matter who puts it out.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

When el rushbo says she jumped the shark….

You know she is not long for a dropout

cmsinaz on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Just pray away the retardation, Michelle!

John the Libertarian on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

How bout a Constitutional amendment banning women from running for the presidency until their post menopausal period of life?

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Sigh. Whatever. People have said far dumber things … at least she didn’t claim her parents hooked up at Selma and then she was born five years previous to the event. She proably knows there aren’t 57 states and she’s not a communist. I’m not signing her death warrant as a candidate over this one thing even though the liberal press will hammer the ever loving crap out of her for it.

BrideOfRove on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

When did republicans become the anti-vacine party?

bongo on September 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM

When they started pushing nutters like Bachmann as their leaders just because they talk sh!t to Obama.

Well, the problem with people that will say anything? They will say ANYTHING. Including crap like this. So now we’ve got Bachmann as Lil’ Miss Anti-Vaccine AND “Pray the Gay Away”.

Vyce on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

A wall will be more expensive while being only marginally harder to defeat. Even if we got the illegals to build it.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Israel/Gaza? Korean DMZ

Are we Israel? Are we Korea? Have you any other nonsequiters?

A bad idean is a bad idea, no matter who puts it out.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Unless Rick Perry puts it out. In which case, criticism of said ideas are equivalent to MSNBC, lying, falsifying, slander, etc. because Rick Perry is awesome and f**k you.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

It is a real difference. About that Opt Out…

pannw on September 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

All you have to do is fill out the form & hand it to the school nurse. That website is complaining about private school running their business or a Dr.s office running their practice as they see fit.

batterup on September 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Prove that a wall would cost more than years of government benefits being given to 12-20 million(and more in the coming years) illegal aliens.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

THIS woman wishes that you would shut your chauvinistic yap.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

When el rushbo says she jumped the shark….

You know she is not long for a dropout

cmsinaz on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

RUSH IS A RINO LOL@!#!1!

Good Lt on September 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Its a silly argument. Building a wall that long and manning it is not the best way to stop illegal immigration. Why waste all that money if there are better and less expensive ways to solve the problem.

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

lib media (CNN) successfully takes another one out.

balkanmom on September 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

No. Bachmann did it to herself. Someone mentioned it was an unforced error. Worse than Bill Buckner.

ConservativePartyNow on September 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Unlike Billy Buck, I’m not sure she can recover from this.

Speaking of which, sad to report that Bill’s new team, the Brockton Rox of the Can-Am League, made the playoffs in his first year as manager, but just got swept in the playoffs by the Montreal Capitales.

Del Dolemonte on September 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Are we Israel? Are we Korea? Have you any other nonsequiters?

You made the quip about walls being evil.

A bad idean is a bad idea, no matter who puts it out.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Then they would be just as nuts as those who think their candidate of choice can do no wrong. And no thanks, you didn’t even offer me dinner.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

…wow. Sexist much?

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Exactly.

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM

You made the quip about walls being evil.

No, Ron Paul did, and for years, so have the open borders crowd.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Huh.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM

A failed pseudo-terrorist state squats on our southern border, if Mexico were Syria or Gaza instead you would have no problem with a wall. Trouble is, Mexico is nearing that point now and then the real fun begins.

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Finally thanks Ed., this should be in front of everyone’s face.

Who is really exploiting little girls for money? I got a solicitation for a campaign donation using the Gardasil issue in my email in box last night after the Greta appearance on FNC.

Opportunist much Michelle?

35 million Americans have already gotten the Gardasil vaccine.

Dr Evil on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Nuff said.

Shay on September 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I listened to the exchange bewtween SP and Greta.
Like MB… Palin was playing dirty pool by suggesting that the Gardasil EO was quid pro quo. Shameful.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

No need to. It has as much basis in reality as the claim about the illegals costing so much to care for. Kind of like the 12-20 million number you provided. None can be verified, or extrapolated from past numbers.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM

THIS woman wishes that you would shut your chauvinistic yap.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Thather, Golda Meir, et al concur.

Kataklysmic on September 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Dr Evil on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I received one of those too. I unsubscribed.
My husband was leaning toward supporting MB but she lost him last night. He’s now in the Perry camp.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Notice the’…so I’ve heard. IF’
I’ll write s l o w l y so you understand.

IF she tweeted that it will and should reflect badly on her.
IF.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM

You could have easily checked it out yourself to see if it were true before announcing it here. It’s not that hard to google “Sarah Palin twitter.”

Just imagine what would happen if a Palin supporter had invented out of whole cloth a tweet by Rick Perry just to make him look bad.

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Indeed. In many ways, we’re experiencing what Israel has dealt with for years. Rocket attacks pummel their cities, and when they create checkpoints and protect themselves, they’re accused of zionist racism. Drug wars make some US cities so dangerous that they’re quarantined, cause the government to put up signs warning citizens to stay out of public land because it’s overrun by armed Mexican nationals…and the concept of a wall is deemed racist.

Racism = not wanting to get murdered by drug gangs, it seems.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I listened to the exchange bewtween SP and Greta.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Well, wasn’t it?

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Bishop on September 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

If that were actually the case, the illegals could make a defensible claim for refugee status and the whole illegal immigrant claim would go away.

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Thather, Golda Meir, et al concur.

Kataklysmic on September 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Angela Merkel as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Ricky Ricardo – You ever heard of the Jean Kirkpatrick? She would’ve kicked your ass back into that cave.
How about Golda Meir? She would’ve swatted you down like the irritating insect you are.

lonestar1 on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

These people drop out because of money… their egos won’t give up the stage for anything less (barring a MAJOR scandal).

mankai on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

The more the subterraneans attack, the more I favor Perry.

MrScribbler on September 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM

This is where I am, too.

capitalist piglet on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Wrong.

And the cost of a wall could be easily calculated. As to whether the costs would be reasonable if it were left completely up to the government…then yes, there may be a problem. Get a private contractor, and it would be feasible.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Well, wasn’t it?

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

For 5 grand? As Perry said last night-he’s insulted by MB’s suggestion that he can be bought off for only 5 grand.
As I said. MB and Palin’s comments were shameful.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Buddahpundit on September 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Some people have reactions to certain vaccines/medications. Tehre are allergic reactions.

I had one to the Hep B vaccine years ago when they made it mandatory for military folks. Put me in the hospital.

Unfortunately, no one knows how a given med will affect you until you get it.

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Well, wasn’t it?

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Prove it was.

capitalist piglet on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

cozmo on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

And wouldn’t that be just dandy? The Mariel boatlift times…oh…100-200.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

lonestar1 on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

The funny thing is, both of those woman probably made a sammich for the men in their lives at some point.

*ducks*

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

It is a real difference. About that Opt Out…

pannw on September 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

You should look a little closer at where that article came from.

kg598301 on September 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Well, wasn’t it?

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Dishonest response, considering the burden of proof is on the accuser.

fossten on September 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

As I said. MB and Palin’s comments were shameful.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

It wasn’t just money.

the_nile on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

rickyricardo on September 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

So that’s what…the 3rd comment like that in a row from you?

Did the first couple not get you enough attention?

Seriously, if you really believe that, how can you type when your knuckles are bloody from dragging them on the ground?

And if you don’t believe it, your attempt to troll is falling pretty far short.

If you have issues with Bachmann, which would put you on the same page as most people commenting on this thread, then list them, your childish sexist schtick is already running thin.

DrAllecon on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, no one knows how a given med will affect you until you get it.

catmman on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

My mother spent almost a week in the hospital after getting a flu shot. I refuse to get the flu shot because of it.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Wrong.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

How many people to man the fence? How much to maintain it? Its like flooding your basement to get rid of a rat, might work, but there are better and less expensive ways.

dpierson on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

As I said. MB and Palin’s comments were shameful.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

It’s not just about the money:

The controversy over Perry’s decision deepened as it came to light that his former chief of staff was a lobbyist for Merck and that his chief of staff’s mother-in-law, Rep. Dianne White Delisi, was the state director of an advocacy group bankrolled by Merck to push legislatures across the country to put forward bills mandating the Gardasil vaccine for preteen girls.

steebo77 on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Walls are an utterly ridiculous notion. Enforcement will take care of this.

MadisonConservative on September 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM