Trump card: Bobby Jindal endorses Perry

posted at 4:05 pm on September 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

I wonder how long this has been in the works. Was the plan always to roll it out tonight before the debate or did Perry and Jindal speed things up to match T-Paw’s Romney endorsement?

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is backing Rick Perry for president, a major endorsement for the Texas governor as the campaign for the Republican nomination enters the crucial fall stretch of the primary calendar, a source tells CNN.

Jindal is on his way to Florida and will be Perry’s guest at Monday night’s “Tea Party Republican Debate” broadcast on CNN from Tampa, the source said. Jindal is expected to formally make the announcement prior to the debate.

Neither endorsement breaks either guy out of their niche. Romney’s running as the safe, northern, Wonder Bread establishment candidate and Perry’s running as the bold, southern, grassroots favorite with executive experience. Pawlenty and Jindal are natural matches for their respective endorsees. Jindal’s endorsement matters more, though, because Perry’s immediate problem is proving that he’s electable. The more big-name conservatives bypass the “safe” choice in the field to roll the dice on him, the more credible Perry looks. (And in fact, he already has an event lined up this week with another prominent southern governor.) When Romney inevitably hits him again tonight on Social Security, Perry can point at Jindal in the audience and say that the governor of Louisiana — and esteemed policy wonk — would never throw his endorsement away on an unelectable candidate. Which is true enough: For Jindal to commit this early in the race, he must be awfullly confident in Perry’s chances. If he’s right, there’s bound to be a cabinet position in it for him. But probably not VP due to their regional overlap.

Incidentally, Wonder Bread might not be the only reason that Pawlenty’s backing Romney. Money has been known to buy friends from time to time. Exit question: Which Republican’s endorsement is the most prized this year? I’m inclined to say Rubio’s because he’s from a crucial primary state and is capable of influencing both establishment and grassroots opinion, but RCP makes a good point about DeMint in its latest post. If he shocks the world by endorsing Romney before the South Carolina primary, he could singlehandedly imperil Perry’s candidacy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Well, heck, even I endorsed Romney in ’08 but I sure won’t be this time! I *had* to support Romney because by the time the primary came to IL, my favorite, Fred!, had dropped out. It was either Romney, McShamnesty, or nanny-stater Huckabee. I went, begrudgingly, with Romney. This year though I have a choice, not only of a coservative, but of a viable conservative in Perry.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Cognitive dissonance is alive and well. Perry will make McShamnesty look hawkish on illegal immigration.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Don’t be-it’s at a Buffalo Wild Wings.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Heck, I don’t even have them here! We do have a Texas Roadhouse, but somehow I don’t think it is the same as real Texas cooking.

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM

jsut saw an article that TPaw supporters are slower on the uptake in supporting Mitt, so it will be interesting to see where they go…

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Actually I trust the supporters of their candidates. I see endorsements helpful with organization, donors, and undecideds. The T-Paw supporters will go (have gone) to their next choice I think.

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM

He just officially endorsed Perry.

Kermit on September 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I know you do not like Perry very much and might actually prefer Romney. But in what way do you consider Romney as being better than Perry on:

1. Border Security
2. Illegal Immigration Policy

I’ll be waiting for your answers.

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Romney vetoed in-state tuition for illegals in Massachusetts. Perry was one of the first governors to champion in-state tuition for illegals and even co-opted Cesar Chavez’s “si se puede” slogan in his speeches.

Romney not only wants a fence but is also adamant that we need a strong E-Verify policy. Perry until recently has wanted neither, even now merely talks about putting 2000 national guardsmen on a 2500 miles border. Is this a joke?

Over 2/3rds of illegals in the Midwest and Northeast came via the Texas gateway, under Bush and Perry’s watch. The rest of the country has had enough.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Sorry Haner …America rejects your Romney and his RomneyCare.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM

There’s a Texas Roadhouse west of here-as well as a Logan’s.
Never been to either one. I HAVE been to TLC(Texas Land & Cattle)-and it was tasty stuff.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

As governor of the most liberal state in the union, Romney:

1. vetoed in-state tution for illegals.

2. In 2006, pioneered a program with ICE to let state cops enforce immigration laws.

3. Advocated and implemented english immersion programs

4. Led the fight for drivers license for illegals.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

He just officially endorsed Perry.

Kermit on September 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

*cheers*

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Of course Perry:

Opposes e-verify program to make sure companies dont hire illegals.

Supports open borders

Supports in-state tuition for illegals.

But since perryai.com, perrystate.com and aceofperry.com turned into Perry fan bois, illegal immigration isnt an important issue anymore.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Sorry Haner …America rejects your Romney and his RomneyCare.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Oh please, America hasn’t rejected anything. This will go to the polls.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Here’s a fact you will never see posted on perryair.com:

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM

A real endorsement LOL! Red State Update:
Rick Perry and the rise of the Jackiebaggers.

Jackie likes Rick Perry! Dunlap thinks the Tea Party is washed up! But who will lead… the Jackiebaggers?

Jackie was worried he was going to have to like Michelle Bachman – Mitt Romney or even Tim Pawlenty.

Dr Evil on September 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Oh please, America hasn’t rejected anything. This will go to the polls.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Yep and they will tell Romney to GTFO.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I’m interested in who Haley Barbour will endorse sense he is joining American Crossroads. Although they are supposedly sitting out the primaries, Rove can’t help himself when it comes to influence peddling. I will be disappointed if Gov. Barbour is a Romney kind of guy.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Haley Barbour lost his conservative cred with me when he spent money, some of it mine, on these guys. After that, him endorsing Romney wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

I smell a set up to keep Palin out.

Amjean on September 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I agree with everything you said, and I’m getting a wiff of that stench, too. I’m disappointed in Jindal, tbh. It seems awfully early, since we all know the field very well may not be ‘set’. Maybe he would never have endorsed Palin, but come on…at least wait until the field is set. This is the first time I’ve started feeling antsy about Sarah waiting.

Hopefully, she gets in very soon, and DeMint slams his endorsement down on her like that!

pannw on September 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Yep and they will tell Romney to GTFO.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM

That’s what Romney says to illegals.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

So Romney can flip flop on abortion but Perry cannot on immigration. Got it.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

But since perryair.com, perrystate.com and aceofperry.com turned into Perry fan bois, illegal immigration isnt an important issue anymore.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

It never ceases to amaze me the human capacity to rationalize one’s values away. Who cares about illegal immigration? He looks like he’s in my tribe! It’s like the blacks voting en masse for Obama.

Good link swamp.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:30 p.m. EDT
Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney Wants State Troopers to Arrest Illegals

Mitt Romney wants the feds to OK his plan for Massachusetts state police officers to have the authority to arrest illegal immigrants solely on their immigration status.

“It’s one more thing you can do to make this a less attractive place for illegal aliens to come to work,” the Massachusetts governor said.

“I think that’s a good thing,” said Representative Marie J. Parente, a Milford Democrat whose community has enacted licensing regulations that make it more difficult for undocumented immigrants to settle there.

“We need to do something,” Parente told the Boston Globe. “I think that will be a message, that the state of Massachusetts welcomes you if you’re within the law.”

The state legislature would have to approve the arrangement Romney is seeking, and the plan has many critics.

Cambridge, Mass. has already declared itself a safe haven for illegals, and Carol Rose, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts claimed: “This will overwhelm the State Police force, it will hinder real law enforcement, real community law enforcement, and it clearly will lead to racial and ethnic profiling. That’s not effective law enforcement, or effective immigration policy.”

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Romney is an AGW believer. Yipee.

The Romntards are a trip.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Like abortion?

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM

LOL Romney supporters are hilarious.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Romney supported abortion back in the days when Rick Perry was Al Gore’s cheerleader. Talk about the flip-flop of all flip-flops.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Illegal immigration is becoming an existential issue for America. Another decade of open borders and there’s no going back.

If the Republicans nominate Perry, I don’t want to hear any of you Perry supporters ever whine about illegals and their impact on our economy and social fabric again. When our English-inherited institutions crumble and are replaced with those like Latin America’s, just remember that you all had a hand in it.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM

So Romney can flip flop on abortion but Perry cannot on immigration. Got it.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Sure he can flip. I just won’t believe him.

derft on September 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM

The real issue about Perry and illegals is that was the one tough demographic he has to face and he folded like a cheap suit.

Massachusetts is wall to wall liberal, the cities, the suburbs, the country; white, black hispanic; Catholic, Protestant, atheist.

Romney fought tough fights and won many battles. Yeah, a bunch of astute dipsh*ts seemed to notice that he didnt win 100% of his battles. But he fought and won, elections and issues of liberal turf..

Perry governed a deep red state, a very conservative state with conservative legislature.

Perry had one tough demograpahic to build a winning coalition and that was hsipanics, and he went out like a wuss.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Just as well T-Paw dropped out.

“It’s Obamneycare.”

“No, wait! I’m endorsing Mittens now! I love his healthcare plan!”

WTF? (The lesser known younger sibling to the ATF.)

Pablo Snooze on September 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I HAVE been to TLC(Texas Land & Cattle)-and it was tasty stuff.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh! Rub it in ALT! :-)

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM

MeatHeadinCA on September 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Now, now let’s not forget how boring Jindal was in his response to Obama’s SOTUS in 2009.

It was so bad in fact many believed it dashed any hopes for presidential aspirations.

sheryl on September 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM

So Romney can flip flop on abortion but Perry cannot on immigration. Got it.
CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Sure he can flip. I just won’t believe him.
derft on September 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM

“Yes, Perry is a flip-flopper – but so is Romney!”
I’m not sure the Perry camp really wants to run with that as it’s campaign slogan.

whatcat on September 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Well this is a political contest…oh, I almost forgot. You’re an entertainer’s groupie.

cartooner on September 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

sheryl on September 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Hmmm…Perhaps this is Perry’s anti-Pawlenty tactic: “You bring out your irrelevant boring guy and I’ll bring out mine.”
:D

whatcat on September 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

LOL Romney supporters are hilarious Delusional.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

portlandon on September 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM

angryed on September 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I agree. Neither Romney or Perry are suitable.

FloatingRock on September 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

That should work out nicely for the two of you since one of them is going to get the nomination. I guess if Obama gets reelected for some gosh awful reason, we can thank you both for it, along with rest of the Obamabots.

Susanboo on September 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM

As governor of the most liberal state in the union, Romney:

1. vetoed in-state tution for illegals.

3. Advocated and implemented english immersion programs

4. Led the fight for drivers license for illegals.

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Was that before or after Romney decided he wanted to run for President on the GOP platform?

It makes a lot of difference to Mr. “Flip-Flop” Romney, you know?

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

and his endorsement of Perry means a helleva lot!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM

not really. endorsments don’t really mean much. But if it trips your trigger it’s all good. Imean its not like you weren’t going to vote for Perry before the endorsement. I doubt it will move many people to Perry’s camp.

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Romney or Perry? The battle of the mandate twins.

idesign on September 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

hey if you are impressed by the mine is bigger than yours argument more power too you. I will tell you this the nations problems will not be solved by politcal games like this. timmy endorses Mitt Perry trots out jindal. These are little boys playing the “mine is bigger than yours game”. some seem to be impressed like you. Personally that game lost its “fun” for me in grade school.

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Yep, until Palin rolls out her endorsements… you will definitely sing a different tune then. :)

Ha! Ha! Ha!

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM

That’s it dang it!! I’m going to Texas Roadhouse to watch Monday Night Football!

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Does Romney support the McCain-Kennedy-Bush-RINOs amnesty bill?

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM

LOL Romney supporters are hilarious Delusional.

CW on September 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

portlandon on September 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I’m not in Romney’s camp, but portlandon and those of his/her ilk should be the last ones to refer to anyone as “delusional”, especially considering this.

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

So does that mean we can bury the “Palin led us to victory in the 2010 midterms” meme then?

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

There’s a Texas Roadhouse west of here-as well as a Logan’s.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Um, there are really good local places that are head and shoulders above the chains. Maybe Coulter’s or Dicky’s comes close (full disclosure, I know some of the Dicky family). Never been happy with TL&C co.

cozmo on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Ha! Ha! Ha!

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I seriously anyone from the politcal class will endorse Palin in the primary. Some will come around by thr time of the convention and others will swing behind her furing the general but nobody who’s livlehood depends on sucking the taxpayer dry will be endorsing Palin in the primary….

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

swamp_yankee on September 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Perry is like Obama, who came from Illinois and never had to face the opposition until he got elected president.

haner on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

LOL…

I really like unseen but I must confess I sometimes get lost in the mental gymnastics…

To unseen: Peace, bro. :)

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Angryed:

I withdraw your name from my comment above. I see that you are not anti – Perry. Now Romney (??) he’s a RINO but a million times better than President Zero.

Susanboo on September 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM

jindal talking with the grunter now on cnn

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

haner on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Um, no

cozmo on September 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I seriously anyone from the political class will endorse Palin in the primary.

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Trust me on this, unseen. Palin does have her admirers in the political class.

If they fail to endorse her, it wouldn’t be because they seek to distance themselves but it would be because they rate her chances quite low because most presume an entry by Palin at this stage (minus any established groundwork) might turn out to be futile.

TheRightMan on September 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I agree. Palin will get few if any endorsements. And if she does get some, I for one won’t be here talking them up.

I still remember McCain trotting out rino after rino to endorse him in the ’08 primaries as if someone was supposed to be impressed by that. Weak minded tools I guess.

I will hand it to Perry though, if you are going to get an endorsement, Jindal is about is good as it gets, but I doubt anyone’s mind will be changed by it.

Kataklysmic on September 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

jindal talking a little fast but sounds real good….

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I doubt that Palin cares that much about endorsements, but it sure looks like Romney and Perry covet them…

idesign on September 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I like Gov. Jindal, so the endorsement helps.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM
..:)

Dire Straits on September 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Same here!!

bluefox on September 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

zing!!!

I’m betting there are a few posts by unseen and other nistas declaring that Palin’s endorsement for so and so was a gamechanger.

windansea on September 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I doubt very much if Senator DeMint is going to endorse Wonder Bread. He is a very conservative Senator as is Rubio and they both have PACS to find conservatives for the Senate.

With the Tea Party Movement creds that DeMint has, he certainly knows that the TP doesn’t support Romney. In fact at the New Hampshire debate, 12 local TP’s confronted Romney and protested him trying to gain TP support.

If DeMint ever thot about it this time around, I’m sure he changed his mind after finding out that Romney lied about Perry, accusing him of wanting to kill Social Security. If that wasn’t enough, when Rush reported today that Romney is also a hypocrit by stating in his book “No Apology” that S.S. was a fraudulent criminal enterprise, then that should have been enough.

bluefox on September 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

haner on September 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

What do you think Gov. Perry can do that Arizona can’t do? Also on the tuition for illegals, there are requirements. You and others make it sound like all illegals are given in state tuition.

McCain/Kennedy was Amnesty. I just wish actual facts were discussed on this.

bluefox on September 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Mark Levin is ripping Romney every which way but loose, LOL

bluefox on September 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Ouch. I have to admit this is a solid response. You can’t have it both ways.

fossten on September 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Spittle flecked anger and teeth grinding from the Palin cultists – who will now despise anyone of Indian extraction because Jindals endorsement is considered sexist and racist by the Palin cult.

rickyricardo on September 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I don’t really agree here unseen.

We saw how Palin’s endorsement and influence helped propel Governor Haley to the top.

So an endorsement CAN mean a lot, depending on who does the endorsing and what that means as far as boots on the ground support and campaign donations.

powerpro on September 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’m surprised that Jindal endorsed Perry as he is the govenor I see most aligned with Palin’s values. It’s kind of early too as she and possibly others haven’t gotten in. Oh well…

CCRWM on September 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

rickyricardo on September 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

That’s a (crazy) imagination you’ve got there sport.

Actually as a Palin supporter…I still really like Jindal. I’m not on board with Perry…especially after learning about the La Raza/immigration/ACORN/crony capitalism stuff… but I don’t despise Governor Jindal for supporting Perry.

I just respectfully disagree with his choice.

Sorry to blow your theory about Palin supporters though.

Actually…you know what? I’m not sorry.

Get a grip.

powerpro on September 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Romney – ? Pro-enforcement of immigration law, Obamneycare, AGW believer, eh on SS
Perry – ? Soft on enforcing immigration law, calls SS a Ponzi scheme

Perry still sounds better.

Pawlenty endorsing Romney.
Jindal endorsing Perry.

Romney is not gaining any ground.

Romney better start thinking soon about another strategy.
(BTW, with a jobs message & current views on immigration, Perry pulls far more of the Latino vote from Obama than Romney would as well.)

If Perry gets an endorsement from Rubio or DeMint it’s all over. $$$ matters for ads, but if you don’t have the willing boots on the ground that the Tea Party provides, Romney could simply be dreaming.

Danny on September 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

You don’t grant in state tuition to illegals,

TxAnn56 on September 12, 2011 at 5:20 P

From a practicality standpoint, I’d rather have educated illegals than gangsters and drunks. I live in Lexington, KY and our horse farms use nothing but illegal Mexican labor. They all drive drunk 24/7. Our jails are full. It’s crazy.

However, let me say, our local police go the distance in trying to round these people up. They actively patrol the projects asking for proof of ID. It’s not a publicized policy, but we have ICE very active in the Fayette Co. Jail. I appreciate them doing that. I didn’t know about it until I was in the ‘hood and spoke with some people who have dealt with it. They are complaining and carrying on like it was just so unfair, I went along with it but I was smiling my balls off in my mind.

Anyway, if an illegal feels the desire to get into college, has a HS diploma and the ability to get in to begin with (SAT/ACT/etc), they will go a long way to remedy the problem with illegals to begin with.

It’s the uneducated, total drains on society that make this an issue.

Am I totally wrong on this? I understand that based purely on principle and not practicality, it’s probably not the best idea. This is obviously not targeted to the children of illegals, as they are not illegals, but American born, right?

So it’s to adults or adolescents who have migrated from somewhere and have either came or became credentialed and are wishing to make use of our public higher education. If they graduate with a degree, how about making it easier to become a citizen or something?

And you guys, as Gov of Texas, do you actually think a position on immigration OTHER than what Perry has taken, would have resulted in 3 terms? 40% Hispanic, being a hard-line immigrationist as we all are, would have allowed a more moderate republican (in other areas) or a liberal democrat to have became gov.

It’s a trade off. I predict that Perry will articulate a more Pro-America/National position on immigration, that will work for being elected President and protecting our interests. Since the total % of Hispanics in the population at large is much smaller than in TX..

preallocated on September 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

haner on September 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Romney, on the other hand, came from Massachusetts and got his head handed to him in 2008 by the only candidate that was a bigger RINO than he was. If he couldn’t beat McCain facing liberal headwinds, what makes him think he can beat Perry in conservative headwinds?

But I’m all about the horse race. I don’t think Mitt should drop out while he’s still in the top few. I think he should bring his best game and then respect the outcome of the contest. Too many people around here would prefer to forgo all this primary stuff and appoint their favorite candidate by fiat.

The primary shapes our collective party will. It will probably never reflect your specific preference, or mine, but it’s power is that it allows us to reach an agreement on a candidate that we can all support and vote for, even if it isn’t out choice.

How about this: I promise to vote for Romney if he wins the nomination if you promise to vote for Palin if she wins.

Immolate on September 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM

rickyricardo on September 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Quote somebody here who’s said anything remotely like that, okay? Otherwise, keep your perverted opinions to yourself. Put up or shut up.

That said….

I really like Jindal, have ever since he was elected gov of LA. He has been my first choice for VP if Sarah Palin got in. So this kind of disappoints me. It doesn’t make me like him personally less–or his policies. It just makes me disappointed that he didn’t wait a bit longer to see if Palin was going to get in. But it’s his decision to make.

Personally, here is how it stands for me. If Palin gets in, I will do what I can to get her elected. I will give $$, I will contact my local chapter of Organize 4 Palin and see what I can do, I will talk her up to my friends, I will promote her at every opportunity.

If she doesn’t, and someone else wins the nomination, I will vote for them. That’s it.

Just don’t have the enthusiasm for any of the others running that I have for Palin, and that has TONS to do with her policies, her ideas, her values, her experience, etc., etc.

theotherone on September 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM

But probably not VP due to their regional overlap.

Remember Clinton/Gore?
How did their campaign fare?
Arkansas & Tennessee are neighboring states, too.

itsnotaboutme on September 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Perry/Jindal 2012!

itsnotaboutme on September 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Oh Bobbeh!

disa on September 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Perry’s running as the bold, southern, grassroots favorite …

… who will totally lose the conservative base on the immigration issue.

manwithblackhat on September 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

preallocated you are correct. Perry is correct. We need to encourage education or Texas is sunk. The northern folks don’t understand the magnitude we are looking at. If the demographic shift was as pronounced in your beloved northern state, you would be up in arms.

Perry is also adroitly positioning himself as a friend of young people and a friend of academia. Not a bad place to try and make inroads if you’re a conservative.

pc on September 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Hollowpoint on September 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM

not at all unlike the majority of endorsements Palin’s meant something and was confirmed by the rocketing up of the candidates in the polls and the infusion of cash to their campaigns. When will you except that Palin is different from the normal politcal definitions?

We have been explaining it too you for 3 years

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM

windansea on September 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I’m sure there are many because her endorsement was a gamechanger which at the time shocked the politcal class who couldn’t really believe the power of her endorsement brought because most don’t mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. Palin’s was different and was considered the gold standard in 2010 and was much sought after in the primary elections of 2010.

when are you ABP people going to acknowledge on issue after issues Palin conitnues to outshine the competition in every way.

unseen on September 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I’d like to make it well known publicly that I am immensely grateful to all the crony-capitalists who helped and assisted me in completing a very long slog of upper education. Without crony-capitalism, I’d have never made it.

Lourdes on September 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

About the endorsement issue, surely the DeMint one will be pivotal as you’ve noted, AP.

I express this because DeMint mostly will influence (and counter influence) the more marginal political opinions — I refer to “marginal” not in a negative fashion but one to indicate the “non middle”.

Lourdes on September 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Perry’s running as the bold, southern, grassroots favorite …

… who will totally lose the conservative base on the immigration issue.

manwithblackhat on September 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Not totally but close, you’re right. This is Perry’s Achilles’ Heel.

Lourdes on September 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Mark Levin is ripping Romney every which way but loose, LOL

bluefox on September 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Mark Levin isn’t invincible. In fact, he’s often so fringe as to rival Savage. Sometimes he’s lucid, oftentimes he isn’t. I take Mark Levin with a very large dose of salt.

Lourdes on September 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Jindal exposed his political immaturity by jumping on the Perry bandwagon before Perry had survived the gauntlet that had to come. The criticisms were out there and Perry has now been reduced from cowboy messiah to a human who has a problem with the steer manure on his shiny boots.

Palin is the big winner here, because she stands as the only real competition to the RINO de jour Romney, who came out better only because of Perry’s slippage, not because his message, nor his stature improved. RINOs, like leopards, never change their spots -just their positions, over and over. Romney could be the prime example in the Wikipedia article on RINO ism.

Palin’s agenda of giving croney capitalism a political enema stands way above the others with genuine leadership in assessing the heart of the GOP’s problem. Those insider pundits who collectively attacked her are all fat cats getting rich (croney capitalism’s soul) off of the status quo system. She threatens them because she will attempt to get rid of it and their lucrative power at the same time.

Go Sarah.

Don L on September 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Go Sarah.

Don L on September 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM

My abiding fear is what they are capable of doing, in cahoots with the left, to stop her. Think they won’t work together? Remember, communists and muslims will join forces temporarily to destroy that which they both hate.

Extrafishy on September 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Honestly..I don’t give a crap who endorses WHO at this point…What I do care about is that all these ‘heavy hitters’ get behind WHOEVER the nominee is.
Otherwise..we can look forward to four more years of obama.

Handel on September 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Jindhal’s endorsement didn’t make Perry look “strong”;
it made Jindhal look “weak” (for endorsing this early
without a lot of facts/vetting of all the candidates).

Amjean on September 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Perry / Jindal

What a fantastic ticket that would be. I love Jindal. I wasn’t solidly behind Perry until this.
I’m on board now.

bridgetown on September 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

You don’t grant in state tuition to illegals,

TxAnn56 on September 12, 2011 at 5:20 P

It’s the uneducated, total drains on society that make this an issue.

preallocated on September 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I see a problem here. From what I can ascertain the LEGAL immigrants from Mexico do not like the ILLEGAL Mexicans crossing
the border, giving legal Mexican Americans a bad reputation.
Those that work hard and take care of their families, pay taxes, etc. They see their taxes and cost of goods rising because of the cost to take care of the illegals.

So just who was/is Perry pandering to? And what percentage of
the 40% hispanics in Texas is illegal?

Amjean on September 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Amjean on September 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Nothing weak about Jindal(no ‘h’ in it). I wish he were running for the TOP of the ticket. He’s going to make one helleva president someday.
He’s not the greatest speaker but he’s brilliant and is already more qualified than most people running for the top. Perry and Mitt have more XO experience. Palin doesn’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM