Open thread: Obama to deliver jobs plan to Congress …

posted at 9:25 am on September 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Today is a big day for Barack Obama.  After telling Congress more than a dozen times on Thursday night to pass his new jobs bill, the President will finally get around to sending Congress the bill.  That will come to Capitol Hill later this evening, which means Obama has plenty of time for … another speech, at 10:40 ET:

A White House official says President Barack Obama will send Congress his new $447 billion jobs bill Monday and speak in the Rose Garden to call for swift passage. …

Teachers, police officers, firefighters and others will join the president in the Rose Garden to call for passage, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the president’s remarks.

I guess he won’t surround himself with doctors in white lab coats this time, like he did with his Rose Garden speech on ObamaCare.  Politico reports that there may be a reason for that:

Health care providers are warning that President Barack Obama’s new jobs plan could actually siphon jobs from one of the few industries still hiring — because the only way to pay for it would be to make deeper cuts in the health care entitlement programs.

Over the past year, the broadly defined health sector has created about 74,000 jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The industry has provided the Obama administration with one of its success stories during an otherwise gloomy 12-month period for labor, during which the jobless rate has reached 9.1 percent. …

But Obama’s template to get more Americans back to work could ultimately have the opposite effect on the health care sector because he asked the deficit supercommittee in his Thursday night speech to find extra savings to pay for his $447 billion jobs package. And to do that, the panel would probably have to propose deeper spending cuts for Medicare and Medicaid than it would have done otherwise.

Ah, the travails of central control of a national economy!  So many cronies, so little real ability to pander on a long-term basis.  But the doctors who lined up for their Rose Garden photo op shouldn’t worry too much; by this time next year, Obama will rob from teachers and first responders again to pander to them again.

What’s the over/under for the number of times we hear a variant of “Pass This Bill”?  I’m setting the bar at …. eight.

Update: I counted up to ten “pass this bill” demands in the first five or so minutes before losing count.  The speech was basically a distilled repeat of Thursday night’s speech, containing no real specifics except that Obama has actually produced a proposal, presumably in legislative language, which he held up during the speech today.  He once again claimed that the bill was “paid for,” although saying that his proposal to do so would come next week. Regardless, he wants Congress to pass the bill in its entirety immediately, of course.

Obama will deliver the bill to Congress tonight, which just coincidentally comes during tonight’s Republican debate — the second time Obama has tried to distract people from a debate in the past week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I think standing behind Ø was their job for today since they are all probably from Central Casting ….

ExpressoBold on September 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Heh.

Me? I’d love to stand behind O-Dumbo and make bunny ears while he’s speaking.

GrannyDee on September 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Amazing.
He got a couple stage props – who happen to get paid from our taxes – to stand up there with him, while he gives yet another speech about……. spending more tax money we don’t have.

Wow. What were the odds of that happening?

KMC1 on September 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM

there you go with that three letter word again.

katablog.com on September 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Mea culpa.

GrannyDee on September 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM

This speech will be the tipping point that is going to bring about a real improvement in the economic climate. I just know this will be the one.

I will write more later but I have to go feed the unicorns now.

KF Peters on September 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Thanks Mark Zandi and all you independent economists ??? KRUGMAN???

13th time to pass that bill – send it to me so I can sign it

Greyledge Gal on September 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I’ll go with a Baker’s dozen; pass it now.

AH_C on September 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Honestly, I just came out of a meeting and jumped into this thread with a guess of 13. Was that the final count?

AH_C on September 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

And the lsm concurring that his plan is an insurance against a double dip recession

Lol
Anything to prop up dear leader

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I will write more later but I have to go feed the unicorns now.

KF Peters on September 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Thass OK, I’m lookin’ for’rad tuit….. hey! Bring me some skittles back when you come back, hokay?

ExpressoBold on September 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Time for another speech!

ObamatheMessiah on September 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM

a guess of 13. Was that the final count?

AH_C on September 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I think the final count was 11 but see GreyledgeGal’s comment here
We were off to the races pretty quick in this one – I was still drinking and he was saying “Pass this bill” “Pass this bill” “Pass this bill” “Pass this bill” “Pass this bill” so damn fast I almost spilled some.

ExpressoBold on September 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Ras has him at 44% today.
He was at 43% on Thursday.

Doesn’t look like anyone outside of MSNBC is too impressed with his BIG JOBS SPEECH.

angryed on September 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that Obama says, “Pass this bill”–a lot.

Christien on September 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I saw the bill. It was a ream of paper filled with doodled pictures of himself. He did it on vacay.

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM

So, where’s the Dow, now ??

pambi on September 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I hope in 2015 Rick Perry schedules a Rose Garden speech on the day of the Dem debate.

angryed on September 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Heh.

Seriously, he really must think he’s “sort of God” since he just expects to say “pass it” enough times and it’ll ….just happen. He’ll just say “create jobs”…and they’ll just appear. All that has to happen is Obama needs to speak it – and it’s done.

I’m not kidding. At all. He’s acted like this since Day One on the campaign trail. I just need to say some eloquent words, and everything will be OK for everyone. It’s baffling how perseverating he is.

inviolet on September 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Woot! I am going to tonight’s debate :)

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM

angryed on September 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM

If Perry doesn’t step up his game against Romney, the only rose garden he’ll be speaking from will be in Texas.

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I will write more later but I have to go feed the unicorns now.

KF Peters on September 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Skittles?

csdeven on September 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM

It hasn’t been scored….and no way of how it’s going to be paid for, and it could become law, with changes afterward? I don’t think so. They can’t do that, can they? Doesn’t it have to be all in place, before they even debate it? I’d tell the once, No Way BUDDY!!! We do things right, and passing it, before it’s settled is not how it gets done.

Also…I want to see the bill as is right now. For all we know, that was just a binder with a bunch of blank pages in it.

capejasmine on September 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Any plan that Obama submits that is going to work will start and end with his resignation…

RalphyBoy on September 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Woot! I am going to tonight’s debate :)

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Oooooooooh you’re lucky. Have a great time!

capejasmine on September 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM

There. is. no. bill.

Obama can’t play Santa with no elves to make the gifts.

faraway on September 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM

KWR, you need to make a HA sign for is to see you

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Well, I’m late to the party. Let’s see…… there’s a pic of him holding a ream of paper with a cover sheet saying something about jobs. I’ll bet it’s empty. He brought it along to show that this time the dog didn’t eat his homework.

Did I miss anything important? ////

Hey, KWR, enjoy the debate!

Cody1991 on September 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM

KWR, you need to make a HA sign for is to see you

cmsinaz on September 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM

What a great idea… will try; they are limiting what you can bring in of course, but a little sign never hurt anyone

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM

jumped into this thread with a guess of 13. Was that the final count?

I’m so damn drunk I lost count.

katablog.com on September 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM

He is clueless as to how to get Congress to act other than to tell them to pass the bill.

He is a stranger to the wheeling and dealing of the legislative process. He is without executive experience.

I’ve said this before, but again, when he was in the IL legislature Emil Jones who was head of the IL Senate took bills that other Dems had worked on and gave them to Obama so that Obama could build a record. Jones did this so Obama could run for US Senate.

As a US Senator I don’t recall any major piece of legislation that Obama originated and saw through to passage.

The guy has no experience except that of rabble rousing. So all he knows how to do is to say pass the bill.

INC on September 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Here’s what I hear when he talks….

American Jobs Bill….Apply Directly To The Forehead!

American Jobs Bill….Apply Directly To The Forehead!

American Jobs Bill….Apply Directly To The Forehead!

American Jobs Bill….Apply Directly To The Forehead!

Lily on September 12, 2011 at 12:47 PM

So, where’s the Dow, now ??

pambi on September 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Its down 121, but I “expect” it to keep falling.

I am tempted to write my “expectations” about last weeks unemployment too. But we all know what to “expect.”

dogsoldier on September 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Woot! I am going to tonight’s debate :)

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Be sure to wave to us!

GrannyDee on September 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Teachers, police officers and firefighters.

The Prez better watch out or people will get the idea that the only people whose employment concerns him are dues-paying members of public sector unions.

SukieTawdry on September 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Key West Reader on September 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM

We’ll be looking for you. Enjoy!

d1carter on September 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Why doesn’t he surround himself with people from the DMV and those other non-essentials that stay home on snow days?

PatMac on September 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Maybe they will break out in a spontainious rendition of YMCA complete with hand motions and dance moves.

Lily on September 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Oh please, please, please . . . no more phony, meaningless speeches. Actually, he should surround himself with accounts and economist so they can attempt to fend off all the attacks on his new “stimulus” baloney.

rplat on September 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

So what does delivery a bill from the president to Congress look like? Will all the stations break in? Is he going to talk again because I’m not sure I can take much more.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM

$447 billion more… what’s a 1/2 trillion here and there. Good thing Boehner held his ground during the “debt ceiling” debate. Otherwise, we’d have been taken to the cleaners by this administration. Oh wait…

You know, if you keep passing up hills “to die on”, eventually there will be no more hills…

Neo-con Artist on September 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Lily on September 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Flash mob? Now that would be entertaining!

DSchoen on September 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

And the American Jobs Act is not going to add to the debt — it’s fully paid for. I want to repeat that. It is fully paid for. (Laughter.)

It happened, again.

Fallon on September 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Ed, you forgot the middle name. And the MMM MMM MMM. ;-)

itzWicks on September 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

another speech…for crying out loud! Isn’t there a golf course somewhere in the mid-Atlantic region he hasn’t played?

pannw on September 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I’ll let you know if he comes over and plays here ;)

ProudPalinFan on September 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM