Clinton-Cuomo robo-calls not likely to rescue Weprin

posted at 2:05 pm on September 12, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Former President Bill Clinton and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recorded robo-calls to run today and tomorrow to express support for Democrat David Weprin in Weprin’s race against Republican Bob Turner to replace disgraced former Congressman Anthony Weiner in New York’s 9th Congressional district. The Daily Caller reports the content of the calls:

“I’ve known David for many years, and I’ve known him to be a leader who stands up for what’s right. In Congress he’ll stand up for middle class families and he’ll fight to preserve Social Security and Medicare. David will bring jobs to New York and get our economy moving. That’s why he’s also been endorsed by the New York Times,” says Cuomo, in a call that voters will receive on Monday.

Cuomo is an incredibly popular governor in the district, with a 59 percent approval rating and just 16 percent of residents disapproving.

“The New York Times endorsed David. They support him for the same reasons I do: because he’ll stand up for the middle class, he’ll support a good program to put Americans back to work, and he’ll oppose the Tea Party plan to destroy Medicare,” says Clinton, in a call that will run on Tuesday.

As those calls indicate, Weprin wants a repeat of the results in the NY-26 special election, when Democrat Kathy Hochul beat Republican Jane Corwin in a race almost entirely devoted to Medicare. But the Cuomo-Clinton calls aren’t enough to make that happen. As Ed wrote, Weprin’s not likely to share Hochul’s success — and it’s not because Republicans have learned how to sell entitlement reform. It’s because Obama’s disapproval ratings are dragging Weprin down — and maybe, just maybe, because NY-9 cares more about social issues than pundits popularly discuss.

The National Organization of Marriage has hit the NY-9 special election particularly hard, reminding voters that Weprin was a “yes” vote when the New York legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage earlier this year. Anecdotal evidence suggests even some Democrats felt betrayed by that vote. Matt Lewis with more:

[Weprin] further incensed leaders in the Orthodox Jewish community — usually reliable Democratic votes — by claiming his orthodox faith was a rationale for voting to legalize same-sex marriage. In response, Queens Assemblyman Dov Hikind, a Democrat, even crossed party lines to endorse Republican Bob Turner.

But New York liberals like Weprin are beginning to see problems arise among other blocs, too. As the New York Times reports, “Larry Yang, the Korean-American owner of a hardware store,” in Queens was opposed to a public advertisement for same-sex weddings in his neighborhood and “many among the large number of Korean-American Christians in Queens felt similarly but feared that if they spoke out they would be demonized by a liberal majority.”

While conservatives have long worried that immigration and changing demographics would harm them politically, social issues may prove to be the wedge that could be the GOP’s saving grace.

“If [the Democrat] loses, it will be because of the demographics,” says Hank Sheinkopf, a New York Democratic consultant.

It might not be as popular to talk about as jobs and the economy, but marriage still matters — even politically.

Comments

Heh, heh, heh…Coakley all over again…

How come Obama is not calling?

Schadenfreude on September 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Boy they MUST be desperate! Guess bho giving a ‘shout out’ to weprin won’t help that much?
L

letget on September 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

If you play the Clinton robo-calls backward they say, “Hillary not Obama”. True story

Weight of Glory on September 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM

That image on the front page looks like a couple of wankers.

fiatboomer on September 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

The Dims look like they’ll have to fall back on their usual election last refuges of crooked Liberal judges, ballot tampering and other vote fraud.

viking01 on September 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM

How come Obama is not calling?

It’s not my fault…It’s not my fault…It’s not my fault…

It’s not my fault.

Bat Chain Puller on September 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Good God. That picture of Clinton and Cuomo is ancient.

Red Cloud on September 12, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Do people actually listen to the robo calls? Even if its someone a candidate I’d support, I just hang up on em. They are stupid.

lorien1973 on September 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Weight of Glory on September 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM

ROFL!!!

I wonder. I need to record Obama. I’ll bet when he’s played backwards it says…ANYONE but Michelle!!!

capejasmine on September 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Robo-calls don’t work. Perry’s Moneyball team have discovered that. I know from experience that they at best are a non-factor. At worst, they annoy the voter and push him/her the other way.

Plus, imagine answering the phone and hearing B.J. Clinton’s smarmy voice. Enough to cause phone damage.

MaxMBJ on September 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Obama needs to help by making robo calls! I can not believe he will not help a fellow Democrat. Does he not care about his party?/

IowaWoman on September 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

You might want to talk to AP about that…

mockmook on September 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM

So much for all the whining by liberal Republicans that social issues need to be set aside.

Rose on September 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM

IowaWoman on September 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Unless he’s the main focus, and all accolades and attention are on him….nope! He doesn’t care.

capejasmine on September 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM

MaxMBJ on September 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Endless opportunities for satire there.

slickwillie2001 on September 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM

This is Brooklyn politics the ward bosses and the D chair can tell you within 100 votes how the final vote will be.

Jdripper on September 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

lorien1973 on September 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Holy cow, the number of political robo-calls on my answering machine when I got back to Florida was ridiculous.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

but marriage still matters

Because marriage is so much more meaningful when you can prevent people you don’t like from getting married?

The whole reason the anti-same sex marriage law in California can’t be defended is because nobody can prove it harms anybody.

I’m curious to know how y’all justify your opposition to it.

Constantine on September 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

A former president making robocalls and saying the Tea Party will destroy medicare is as scummy as there is.Gutter trash.

docflash on September 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Yeah 2008 was a mess. I didn’t even pick up the phone most evenings so many of those stupid things. I hate em. I can’t imagine someone saying “man, ever since I got this robocall from schwarzenegger, I’m totally voting for McCain now!”

MaxMBJ on September 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Sometimes a comment and a commenters username are perfectly in sync.

lorien1973 on September 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM

How come Obama is not calling?

Schadenfreude on September 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

3 words:

Kiss
Of
Death

UltimateBob on September 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Turner’s people should have an Obama impersonator make calls pushing Weprin. It would guarantee a Republican pickup.

JammieWearingFool on September 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I am a resident of Queens, and an Orthodox Jew. This election is fascinating to watch. Bob Turner has been all over the neighborhood, meeting with local Rabbi’s, having meetings in people’s homes (along with Hikind), hanging out at the pizza shop, and even visiting local Rabbinical Seminaries (yeshivos). Each time he’s been grilled about the debt ceiling, fiscal spending, and other economic issues, and people walk away impressed. Weprin has simply been running on a “vote for me because I am an Orthodox Jew too” platform. People are not impressed with that.

I saw Weprin Saturday night in Flushing at a neighborhood pizza joint. He was asked how he reconciles his votes on abortion and gay marriage with the principles of the Orthodox community. Instead of answering, he listed a number of endorsements he’s received from a few religious oriented groups.

I can’t believe I agree with the sentiment, but in a predominantly Jewish/Democratic neighborhood, the demographics are not in Weprin’s favor here. I don’t know if it’ll be enough for Turner to win, but a whole slew of Queens’ Jews will be voting for Turner tomorrow.

bigdubs on September 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Aren’t robocalls supposed to be terrible violations of everything Man holds sacred when Republicans do it?

Axeman on September 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM

bigdubs on September 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I’m glad you have a ringside seat :-)

I don’t expect this to be the start of a Jewish Spring, but it is heartening to see that the Donkeys can’t get away with ANYTHING and still get their votes.

MJBrutus on September 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Rose on September 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Social Issues can be used with targeted audiences. Economic issues play for everyone. If you make the social issues seem like your main agenda instead of the economy, you will lose some support.

KW64 on September 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Constantine on September 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Nice assumption there ya piece of crap.

runawayyyy on September 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Clinton-Cuomo robo-calls not likely to rescue Weprin

Please tell me Clinton’s message didn’t start out this way: “If you’re a good looking young woman with knee-pads, please call me at ______.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Constantine on September 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Whoever on the pro-traditional marriage side has ever mentioned anything about liking or not liking the people? I’ve never heard that.
I’ve heard that on the anti-traditional marriage side, and in spades. They’re the ones that hate, want to hurt, attack, and seek to harm either physically or financially anyone who disagrees with them.

For me, it’s partly about respecting the foundational institution of a rational society. Marriage between a man and a woman is not only rational, but physiologically correct and traditionally proper. To use a common colloquialism, it really is Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. If Adam and Steve want to enter into a contractual arrangement, go ahead.

smfic on September 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Constantine on September 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I’d love to know where you get that notion.

AubieJon on September 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Who’s from NY? What the chances of this happening?

hawkdriver on September 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

“What’s”

hawkdriver on September 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM

“Hey y’all, this is Slick Willie. I just called to let you know that David Weprin wants to fill Weiner’s seat. That is, he’s running to pick up where Weiner left off. No, look, what I’m trying to say is that Anthony Weiner got forced out of office by the radical Tea Party, and David Weprin is the guy to keep those barbarians at the gates. So let’s all pull for Weprin, and it’ll be just like pulling for Weiner. Thanks, and have a great Democrat day.”

Freelancer on September 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I’m curious to know how y’all justify your opposition to it.

Constantine on September 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Fair question. The answer is that it DOESN’T harm anybody, it harms the language. To understand why language is important, read “The Frogs” by Aristophanes. Language is the structure of reasoning itself. Take away the meanings of words — or even just make them fluid — and you undermine the foundation of civilization.

I know this is asking a lot but if you read the play you’ll understand.

Pythagoras on September 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM

This is not the bluest of blue districts in the state but it’s a dependable district. I’d say 58 to 42 is a typical outcome. Now you can look at those figures and think, “well all the Republicans need is for 8 or 9 percent of the voting population to change their mind once in a while and they are in. How hard could that be.” The problem is this never happens. Decade after decade the candidate with the D wins. Queens Republican/conservative voters are there but they don’t dominate any gathering you might say.

This time it’s different. The last poll I saw has Turner up by 6 a day or so ago and WABC has been flooded with ads for this election. What good it will do anyone to have a Bill Clinton ad pointing out the New York Times likes Weprin during Rush’s show is beyond me but the Dems are running SCARED. They are spending money like water and if it doing any good or not they really don’t have the time to check right now. They are pulling out ALL the stops (except having Obama get involved). If Turner wins it couldn’t be any bigger a shock to the Democratic machine then if the Whig party made a come back.

Fred 2 on September 13, 2011 at 3:02 AM