Patriot Day commemoration of the tenth anniversary of 9/11

posted at 8:00 am on September 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Today I will have the privilege of emceeing our local commemoration of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, designated as Patriot Day.  The event will take place at the state capital and will be broadcast live on AM 1280 The Patriot, and hosted by my NARN radio partner Mitch Berg, and Pastor Brad Brandon from our sister station KKMS will read the official Patriots Day proclamation.  We have a full slate of guests, including the Congressman from my district, Rep. John Kline, as well as US Senator Amy Klobuchar.  The program will be streamed live on our station starting at 7:30 CT, so be sure to tune in.

Other than a short slot for opening remarks, my role will mostly be to introduce all of the other speakers.  Here are my opening remarks as prepared for delivery:

Ten years ago today, terrorists attacked America in New York City and Washington DC, murdering almost 3,000 people in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where a flight of courageous men and women foiled al-Qaeda’s final attack by giving their lives to protect us.  Our nation found itself at war with a global network of terrorists and those who aided them in their mission to impose fear and totalitarianism around the world.

We have come together on the anniversaries of this attack to remember those who died on that day, and the many others who have dedicated themselves to ensuring that America never suffers another blow like 9/11.  Some of those have given their lives in Afghanistan and Iraq; others are with us today as honored guests.

After 10 years, we can look back and look forward to see how America has and will continue to respond.  Terrorists tried to destroy us, to make us cower in shadows, divide us, and force us to retreat from our position of global leadership and our example of freedom and liberty.

In this, they have utterly failed.  Look at us today.  We are gathered together as people of all faiths, philosophies, and political persuasions.  Our commitment to self-government and liberty remains stronger than ever.  In the past ten years, we have debated issues great and small, held elections that allow us to choose our own leadership, conducted orderly and lawful transitions of power.

The people who attacked us ten years ago thought that because Americans debate and argue in politics that we are weak and easily defeated.  They made the same mistake that our other enemies have made over the centuries in believing that free speech, freedom of religion, and our defense of individual rights make us weak.  Those are not our weaknesses – those are our strengths.

In the past ten years, we have become painfully aware that we must remain vigilant, and that there are those who see our leadership in freedom and liberty as a mortal threat to their dreams of global totalitarianism.  But while America is not oblivious to those threats, we refuse to be paralyzed by them.  We refuse to hide in the darkness, to withdraw from the world, and to stop seeking freedom and liberty for all men and women.

Ten years ago today, forty men and women on an airplane showed what Americans will do to protect our Republic and the principles of self-government and freedom.  Let us resolve on every anniversary of this date to recommit ourselves to that defense, and to keep our nation worthy of their sacrifice.  Thank you.

Update: You know, I was on stage with a number of men and women who actually fought the enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan, and none of those speakers at the event mentioned “radical Islam” either.  I feel I’m in good company in remaining focused on America and the strength of liberty and freedom rather than bothering to discuss the specific motivations of the nutjobs that carried out the attack.  There are better forums for that than a commemoration service.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

steebo77 on September 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Elven POS

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

My one complaint is that the 10th anniversary of 9-11 has been hijacked by the politicians and the politically correct. There is room for the politicians at the ground zero memorial today but not for first responders. At today’s memorial at the National Cathedral, leaders include the leader of a Islamic organization, a Buddhist nun, a Hindu, but no Catholics or Evangelicals.

Who was the only clergyman to die in 9-11?

bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

“But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate — we can not consecrate — we can not hallow — this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.”

– Lincoln @ Gettysburg but fitting for 9/11 as well

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mike McGinty (Trade Towers): RIP…

Bob Dolan (Pentagon, Navy Operations Center): RIP…

Still missing and remembering you every day…

Your Classmate,

Khun Joe on September 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Good grief I am petty but now I dread not only seeing W make his speech before The Won but listening to all the talking heads drool and pant over how uplifting and inclusive Obama is.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM

fNo, there is nothing disrespectful about it. You feel what you feel and I’ll feel what I feel.

MJBrutus on September 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

My mother-a patriot if there ever was one-doesn’t understand why I’m wearing a button that says ’9/11 Never forgive-Never Forget’ along with w/ a red tie of my husband’s and a white mock(my work tee is navy so red/white/blue). She has big-time 9/11 fatigue. I feel differently-but i don’t think she-or you- is being disrespectful.
Understand though-most people feel differently.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Never forget. Never tire. Never lose the resolve to do the things that are required to keep this country free; this world’s last, best hope.

Nice speech, but that there is the crux of the matter. For 10 years America has done nothing to keep the country free in the wake of 9/11. Instead it has put the lean on grandmothers and kids at airports, while allowing mosques to be built at ground zero.

If the response to 9/11 was similar to the response to Pearl Harbor, even 10 years later, there would be no fatigue. But the response as been the opposite. Instead of identifying the enemy and joining as Americans to fight the enemy, the government, the media, the education system, and just about every institution has created a narrative that 9/11 was a ‘tragedy’ like a highrise fire started by an errant cigarette, and that we need to mourn the dead. Nothing about fighting. And certainly nothing about Fighting the Imperial Japanese fundamentalist muslims. In WW II, there were posters and movies about the enemy and what was at stake if we didn’t crush them. After 9/11, none of that. It’s quite simply not allowed.

Thus, after 10 years, we are still in Afghanistan getting nickled and dimed to death and instead of a two high rises at ground zero, instead we shall forever have two reflecting pools. And the PC islamization of America continues apace. Some people may think they are fighting along with those Fl 93 passengers – 10 years later. If you are, the rest of the country, and its institutions are not fighting with you. And just a cursory glance at the 9/11 coverage will illustrate that.

That’s what is tiresome.

keep the change on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Thomas J. Foley – First responder with the NY Fire Department: RIP…
my children’s cousin

sicoit on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

not one christian preacher????

cmsinaz on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Father Mychal Judge, Chaplain, NYFD.

kingsjester on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Who was the only clergyman to die in 9-11?
bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mychal Judge. Aka Victim 001 at WTC. He was the first certified death.

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM

keep the change on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

In many ways we have gone back to living in a 9/10 America.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM

If you want to see what is wrong with the looney left…Take a look at a pseudo intellectual named Kruggie…

d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I have always thought Krugman was a complete moron, but that was totally vile and despicable. He is a very evil person. And a coward not to allow comments. What a POS.

mrsmwp on September 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Barbara Olsen-conservative firebrand and wife of of Ted Olsen.
She was on the plane that hit the Pentagon.
RIP

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Watch United 93….you will be fired up as never before.

thebrokenrattle on September 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I have no problem with those who do feel differently. I find that people, who think that they can presume to tell others how they should feel and with what intensity and for how long are extremely disrespectful. Observe the day as you see fit.

MJBrutus on September 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

September 11, 2001.
I had just taken my Goldens out for their morning business, come back into the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee. This was a new routine for me since I had been laid off from my technology job a mere ten days previously. I turned on the television to see what kind of interesting things NBC had to say and gradually became aware that something big, something horrific, was going on. I was standing in front of the TV at the precise moment that the plane was flown into the second tower. I watched it, without initial comprehension.
I was numb, confused, aghast, bewildered, and a touch fearful. What the hell was going on? I gradually realized that I was yelling at the TV. Other than the broadcasters yelping “Oh my God” at the sight of tragedy occurring before their eyes there was nothing I heard or saw that was rational or made sense. I knew what I saw but I still couldn’t grasp it. Was this intentional?
As I watched the replay of the second plane, UA175, hitting the WTC South Tower I became absolutely convinced that the kamikaze action was intentional. I didn’t know who or why but I did know we were under attack – I was under attack – in my own country.
I got my weapons out and made sure I was ready. I kept my wits about me and made sure I was thinking, every minute, about what to do immediately and what to do next. I didn’t want to make a foolish mistake and I didn’t want to react out of unfounded fear either. I decided that being continuously informed was the most intelligent course of action.
I watched television for 72 hours straight, largely without commercial interruption and mostly without comment from broadcasters. I attended multiple church events to confirm and express my Christian faith. The services and gatherings were packed. The hymns were among the most beautiful I have ever sung.
I didn’t know until sometime later what horror some endured and how heroically many had acted. The initial minutes of attack are still crystal clear in my mind. I can still visualize it, with very little effort.

ExpressoBold on September 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Watch United 93….you will be fired up as never before.

thebrokenrattle on September 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I will never understand how Paul Greengrass could go from making that movie to the Bourne ****.

Cylor on September 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Elven POS

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Yeah, that little piece of hate must have taken him, what, ten minutes to write? And he isn’t man enough to allow comments.

Again, I wonder about folks that seem to want to hijack a day of remembrance for petty politics. Why is it such a chore for some people to remember without injecting their personal disdains?

I’ll always recall my commander that day, LTC Michael “K”. Late in the afternoon after the towers fell, after the Pentagon had been hit and after Shanksville, he sat in his office with his overhead light out and just a desk lamp lit. He had his chair turned to face away from the open door. I had to step in and let him know we had assigned crews to all of our aircraft and we were ready to leave to support those sites if called. I had to ask him if he was okay. He said he had received a call from his wife and she had told him that a close friend that worked at the Pentagon he had worried about that day, had indeed died in the initial impact. I didn’t know what to say. There were other people waiting outside and I just stepped out and closed his door behind me.

He will never forget today.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM

One critical insert:

Ten years ago today, FILTHY ISLAMIC terrorists attacked America…

Western_Civ on September 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM

My friend Michael was a high school two blocks from the WTC. He was in ninth grade and fled with everyone else. Horrible things so many experienced

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

God Bless Rudy Guilliani for reading Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, and for ending with,”God Bless every soul that we lost.God Bless the family members who have to endure that loss. And God Bless the United States of America.”

Naturally Curly on September 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

As I watched and listened to Paul Simon sing “Sound of Silence” this morning, I was overcome with a strong feeling of disappointment. How can someone who is so talented and can use those talents to reach out to people and show such compassion, opt to use their celebrity to foment hatred for those with whom they disagree politically? That, my friends, is a failure of potential.

NoNails on September 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM

keep the change on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Might just be a “nice speech” to you. That mindset, the spirit of those words is all that kept me going for the better part of ten years of hard slogging, my friend.

America was told early on that this war would take a long time to win. In this “Oh look shiny” day and age, I guess it is hard to keep your eye on this road we have to travel if you’re impatient.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

ExpressoBold on September 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I am struck, by how many stood in front of the TV while the news was reporting those events. Thanks for sharing your account.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

That’s what is tiresome.

keep the change on September 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I do understand your sentiments.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

RE: Paul Krugman’s speil in the Headlines Section. My comment is off topic, but Hot Air doesn’t offer any thread on this. This P.O.S’s screed blaming the US for forcing the ragheads attack us, and his perjorative calling Guiliani and Bush false Heros is beyond the Pale. I realise that Ed and Allah want us to know what the opinion-makers on the left are pushing, but I don’t need this on the anniversity of the attack.

If this is typical of blue state thought, then I am now in the camp of letting them go their own way. I don’t need to spend the rest of my life wrapped up in the political atrocities of the socialist/marxist left. Let them have their own country to ruin. Get out of mine!

I also suggest that Hot Air have a headline comments section, since the lefties don’t want comments they can’t control.

Old Country Boy on September 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM

steebo77 on September 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Elven POS

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Krugman is a rancid pile of goat dung . . . and the gutless bastard didn’t even allow comments. Typical cowardly, dirtbag leftist.

rplat on September 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Obama is just trying to NUDGE us away into a new era of acceptance and international brotherhood.

Bloomberg and Cuomo, what a pair.

New York, you’re not far behind California in your upcoming collapse.

The TEETERS and PC Progressives are killing your great state.

PappyD61 on September 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Old Country Boy on September 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Check the headlines again. Easier done than said it seems. :-)

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM

A few minutes after the second tower was hit, my 14 year old son demanded that I give him permission to join the US Army so he could get some payback. On July 5th, 2006, my two middle sons left our home for MEPS in Salt Lake City. (They were our last two at home. We now know what the empty nest feels like.) One joined the Army and one joined the Navy. My Navy son is a damage controlman on a destroyer based at Pearl. As a DC he, like fireman, run to the fires. My youngest serves with the 101st at Ft Campbell. He served his first tour in Iraq and his second in Afghanistan. As the DM for his squad, he has been shooting those Tailban 8astards for 5 years. Last winter, from 800 yards, he shot one square in the face. That is the one I am most proud of and can say that my family got to meet out justice in our own way.

God bless the victims and families of 911, our troops and their families, the first responders and their families, and those (and their families) who fight in foreign lands and have given the last full measure of devotion to protect our republic.

A God Bless every soul in this country who is an American patriot and unapologetically supports the values and ideals contained in our constitution as our founders wrote it.

csdeven on September 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Three Days after the attacks of September 11th 2001, Bill White and the folks at Intrepid, decided to change the view of what OBL would be viewing on his television. Turns out Bill White was right OBL, liked to watch the response to his handiwork. Bill White, we changed what he would be watching when he turned on his tv, it was like giving him the middle finger.

Dr Evil on September 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Obama believes this……….you know he does.

The Years of ShameIs it just me, or are the 9/11 commemorations oddly subdued?

Actually, I don’t think it’s me, and it’s not really that odd.

What happened after 9/11 — and I think even people on the right know this, whether they admit it or not — was deeply shameful. Te atrocity should have been a unifying event, but instead it became a wedge issue. Fake heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war the neocons wanted to fight, for all the wrong reasons.

A lot of other people behaved badly. How many of our professional pundits — people who should have understood very well what was happening — took the easy way out, turning a blind eye to the corruption and lending their support to the hijacking of the atrocity?

The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it.

I’m not going to allow comments on this post, for obvious reasons.

PappyD61 on September 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM

csdeven on September 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

On behalf of a grateful nation, please thank your sons.

Rational Thought on September 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Barbara Olsen-conservative firebrand and wife of of Ted Olsen.

She was on the plane that hit the Pentagon.

RIP

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

She was on her way to LA to appear on Bill Maher’s show.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Here in New Hampshire our hiking community is repeating a tradition started on 9/11/2002-carrying American Flags to the summits of all 48 mountains that are 4,000′ or taller.

This year’s photos should start showing up here later today.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Cool!

petefrt on September 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

“So many people don’t acknowledge the existence of unalloyed evil. They hope to wish it away through positive thinking. To council it into remorse. Or to domesticate it with compassion. But when have these things ever worked?”

-Dean Koontz

I was glad that President Bush stated, “evil is real and so is courage” at the Flight 93 ceremony.

Rational evil is something liberals cannot grasp (vague overtones of a personifed devil or something like that).

It’s misunderstanding, poor communication, lack of tolerance, something we did to offend someone, psychosis….but it can never be rational and evil.

Wethal on September 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Another flag display.

derft on September 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I remember thinking on that day that I never wanted to forget what happened. I wanted to remember the human cost so I would never become complacent about the reasons why the fight against evil was necessary no matter how long it would take to ensure victory.

So I picked one story to help me to remember. I chose to remember Ruth McCourt and her daughter Juliana. Ruth and her best friend Paige (on the other plane that struck the WTC) were on their way to California with a surprise trip to Disneyland planned for Juliana. I imagine Ruth’s anticipation of the joy and wonderment that lay in store for four-year old Juliana. I visualize Juliana in the thrall of the Disney princesses. These memories were denied them by an unprovoked and unbelievably evil attack on this country.

These people were strangers to me but I chose to permanently fix them in my mind as a constant reminder of what that day wrought. Their residence in memory are a constant buffer against the noise of admonishments to move on, or it being a time to forget and put the past behind us.

I can never forget. Ruth, Paige and Juliana won’t let me.

May God bless and protect our men and women that are fighting the fight that was started on that day. We have much to be thankful for due to their sacrifice and sense of duty to this nation.

SimplyKimberly on September 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

– Lincoln @ Gettysburg but fitting for 9/11 as well

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

“One of the lessons of 9-11 is that evil is real and so is courage.”
…….George W Bush

tencole on September 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I’d like to commemorate the fact that the last thing bin Laden saw before he died was the muzzle of an American soldiers weapon.

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Who was the only clergyman to die in 9-11?

bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mega dittos…..Bloomberg literally makes me ill.

tencole on September 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Amen.

jbh45 on September 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Amen.

jbh45 on September 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I take comfort in the fact that good will always triumph over evil. It may take time, but it will happen.

txmomof6 on September 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

And that he was living in squalor, likely covered with lice, sleeping next to his bearded wife, cowering like the filthy, vile, cowardly scumbag he was.

Rational Thought on September 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I would also like to add it gives me great comfort too that President Bush understands so clearly what we as a nation need in times like these, I will never forget the feelings of solace and comfort he delivered at the ceremony in the National Cathedral after 9/11 when we were grieving and bereft. Today as well when he simply read the letter from President Lincoln to the mother of the 5 sons lost in the Civil War at the WTC ceremony. So simple and pure and NOT about him, but to give us comfort. Thank you President Bush.

txmomof6 on September 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Why did Leftists trot out Paul Simon to sneer his 1964 paean to nihilism at Ground Zero this morning;

And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made…

Who sings that at a memorial service? WTF did that nihilistic hippie sneering have to do with honoring the heroism and dedicating our memorial to 9/11?

Leftism is a mental disorder.

Terp Mole on September 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I would recommend you watch a live, full day broadcast starting minutes prior to the attack. It’s painful but we must remember this day…

katy on September 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I wish they had knee capped him first. It would be poetic if he was kneeling/laying at the feet of Americans when reality hit him in the head.

Dr Evil on September 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I take solace in the way OBL was dismissed from the planet: a single shot to the head, and dropped in the ocean like so much garbage with none of the fanfare or attention he craved. You’re done here.

Constantine on September 11, 2011 at 12:21 PM

catmman on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I doubt he had time to say it, but I’d like to think the shooter got off:

“Greetings from the people of the United States of America.”

Bam, bam.

Wethal on September 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

My one complaint is that the 10th anniversary of 9-11 has been hijacked by the politicians and the politically correct. bw222 on September 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2011, as National Grandparents Day. I call upon all Americans to take the time to honor their own grandparents and those in their community.

Is this a lack of propriety, or hatred for the people of the United States?

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

This year’s photos should start showing up here later today.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

VERY cool.

PappyD61 on September 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM

There has rarely been a starker juxtaposition of evil and innocence than the moment President George W. Bush received the news about 9/11 while reading The Pet Goat with second-graders in Sarasota, Fla.

Seven-year-olds can’t understand what Islamic terrorism is all about. But they know when an adult’s face is telling them something is wrong — and none of the students sitting in Sandra Kay Daniels’ class at Emma E. Booker Elementary School that morning can forget the devastating change in Bush’s expression when White House chief of staff Andrew Card whispered the terrible news of the al-Qaeda attack. Lazaro Dubrocq’s heart started racing because he assumed they were all in trouble — with no less than the Commander in Chief — but he wasn’t sure why. “In a heartbeat, he leaned back and he looked flabbergasted, shocked, horrified,” recalls Dubrocq, now 17. “I was baffled. I mean, did we read something wrong? Was he mad or disappointed in us?”
(See pictures of people celebrating Osama bin Laden’s death.)

Similar fears started running through Mariah Williams’ head. “I don’t remember the story we were reading — was it about pigs?” says Williams, 16. “But I’ll always remember watching his face turn red. He got really serious all of a sudden. But I was clueless. I was just 7. I’m just glad he didn’t get up and leave, because then I would have been more scared and confused.” Chantal Guerrero, 16, agrees. Even today, she’s grateful that Bush regained his composure and stayed with the students until The Pet Goat was finished. “I think the President was trying to keep us from finding out,” says Guerrero, “so we all wouldn’t freak out.”

Even if that didn’t happen, it’s apparent that the sharing of that terrifying Tuesday with Bush has affected those students in the decade since — and, they say, it made the news of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s killing by U.S. commandos on May 1 all the more meaningful. Dubrocq, now a junior at Riverview High School in Sarasota, doubts that he would be a student in the rigorous international-baccalaureate program if he hadn’t been with the President as one of history’s most infamous global events unfolded. “Because of that,” he says, “I came to realize as I grew up that the world is a much bigger place and that there are differing opinions about us out there, not all of them good.”

Guerrero, today a junior at the Sarasota Military Academy, believes the experience “has since given us all a better understanding of the situation, sort of made us take it all more seriously. At that age, I couldn’t understand how anyone could take innocent lives that way. And I still of course can’t. But today I can problem-solve it all a lot better, maybe better than other kids because I was kind of part of it.” Williams, also a junior at the military academy, says those moments spent with Bush conferred on the kids a sort of historical authority as they grew up. “Today, when we talk about 9/11 in class and you hear kids make mistakes about what happened with the President that day, I can tell them they’re wrong,” she says, “because I was there.”

One thing the students would like to tell Bush’s critics — like liberal filmmaker Michael Moore, whose 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 911 disparaged Bush for lingering almost 10 minutes with the students after getting word that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center — is that they think the President did the right thing. “I think he was trying to keep everybody calm, starting with us,” says Guerrero. Dubrocq agrees: “I think he was trying to protect us.” Booker Principal Gwendolyn Tose-Rigell, who died in 2007, later insisted, “I don’t think anyone could have handled it better. What would it have served if [Bush] had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room?”

For once, Time magazine does some responsible journalism.

Wethal on September 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

katy on September 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for video on the day this happened. It is incredible to watch again. Thanks so much.

d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

WTH is that about..?

d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM

d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

You’re welcome.

Been playing it all morning…

katy on September 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

WTH is that about..? d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM

He couldn’t think of anyone else to commemorate, I guess.

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Nice speech Ed. And how fashionable and respectful not to mention Islam or Muslims.

BL@KBIRD on September 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM

The people who attacked us ten years ago thought that because Americans debate and argue in politics that we are weak and easily defeated. They made the same mistake that our other enemies have made over the centuries in believing that free speech, freedom of religion, and our defense of individual rights make us weak. Those are not our weaknesses – those are our strengths.

1. Islam is not a religion, it’s a bandit code.

2. If we were as strong as we should be, there would be no mosques in the United States.

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

One little memory still nags at me all these years later: that of an acquaintance, a Canadian with whom I kept in touch on a message board, railing at President Bush, calling him a lily-livered coward for not returning that second to Washington D.C. and, I suppose, standing in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue daring the planes to hit him. No amount of explanation about how the President was our leader, and needed to be kept safe in order to lead, satisfied this man. Later, he vilified our military and our president as murderous cowards for attacking Afghanistan. I cut off all contact after that. This was the first inkling I had that so-called “liberals” were going to demonize America for being attacked, and that they lived in an alternate reality from the rest of us.

Ten years later, that argument still surfaces among the rigidly disloyal (not to say delusional) left. I don’t understand it, but I suppose I’m not meant to. There is no understanding that kind of upside-down thinking.

9/11 is an old wound, opened afresh during these remembrances. But maybe that’s the purpose of newly painful old wounds, to remind us of what still has to be done if we are to survive.

RebeccaH on September 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Is this a lack of propriety, or hatred for the people of the United States?

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Un-frickin-believable!

As if naming it a “national day of service” isn’t despicable enough, now he proclaims Sept 11th National Grand[parents Day. Anything to dilute the commemoration of Patriots Day.

Looks like the radical left has decided that if attending a Fourth of July parade will make you a lifetime conservative, so will commemorating Patriot’s Day.

petefrt on September 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM

IMNSHO, here is the best way to remember and commemorate the bandit attacks: Build Anew

Yes, there are new buildings going up. Too slowly and delayed but nevertheless under construction. Despite an administration attempting to destroy America. Getting on with life is what American does. The past is inspiration for the greater accomplishments of today.

Caststeel on September 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Just FYI, National Grandparents Day is always the Sunday after Labor Day. Obama didn’t choose the date.

Ed Morrissey on September 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Ed Morrissey on September 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Thanks for that. I was wondering wth that was about….?

d1carter on September 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Wow, I just saw Alice Hoagland, mom of Mark Bingham of flight 93, interviewed on Fox.

She kicked butt. I’ll confess that since she’s from CA I was prejudiced enough to think she’d be a PC person. She’s not. She was saying how we have to remain vigilant against the terrorists here and around the world who still want to destroy us and we shouldn’t let multi-culti get in our way.

juliesa on September 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

juliesa on September 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I saw that too. She is the first person out of all these hours and hours of coverage to say the words Islam and Muslim. I’m sick of hearing “darkest side of evil”, “extreme terrorism”, etc. These PC politicians want to act like Islam and Muslims had no part in the murder of 3,000 people. Personally, I think they should cut off all immigration to Muslims or any Muslim country. They’ll stealthily take over through immigration.

TxAnn56 on September 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

This is one of those days on which I wear my crusader cross pendant and star of David combo necklace.

juliesa on September 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Ed Morrissey on September 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Thanks, Ed. Heh, one less thing to fret about.

petefrt on September 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Wethal on September 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Thus are the seeds of rebirth planted. Just a few, to be sure. But watch the veritable grove that will follow.

karl9000 on September 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

On behalf of a grateful nation, please thank your sons.

Rational Thought on September 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I will.

And thank you.

csdeven on September 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

If we were as strong as you think we should be, this would not be America.

unclesmrgol on September 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM

juliesa on September 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Being from MA I get that a lot. But there are actually 6 of us conservatives here in the Bay State. There were 20 in CA before my wife and I moved here.

Rod on September 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM

csdeven on September 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM

If you visit your son before the end of the year, have him bring you over to Hangar 10 on Destiny Ramp or the TBOS simulator building off of Wickham. I’ll give you a tour and buy you and your son lunch.

Sincerely.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM

They’ll stealthily take over through immigration.

TxAnn56 on September 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Yes they will and yes the have:

Mohammed is now the most popular name (In England) for baby boys ahead of Jack and Harry

Rod on September 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM

One of Obama’s opening lines went something like “Much has changed in America since 9/11, we’ve had a recession, wars, and partisan divide”

Sorry, I just can’t listen to him.

jhffmn on September 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Listening to the Bush interview on National Geographic. Amazing insights.

hawkdriver on September 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM

First photos now coming in from the wonderful folks who gave away their Sunday to carry huge American flags-along with the flagpoles, guy wires, etc) to the tops of New Hampshire’s 48b peaks above 4,000 feet.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Neat idea, nice remembrance.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM

It’s nice to know we aren’t the only ones who commemorated 9/11.

DFCtomm on September 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM