Quotes of the day

posted at 8:00 pm on September 10, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘I remember telling the kids: ‘Don’t worry, we’re in Shanksville. We’re out in the boonies — nothing will happen here,” recalls J.P. O’Connor, an elementary-school teacher in the town, who was watching television news reports in horror as the World Trade Center collapsed that morning.

“‘And then the ceiling started shaking.’…

“Shanksville’s generosity stems partly from gratitude; many believe that Flight 93’s passengers made sure the plane missed the town. Residents are proud to be part of a very different 9/11 story.

“‘This is where the first victory against terrorism happened,’ O’Connor says as he flips through his folders of newspaper clippings about the attacks.”

***

“As visitors walked past the sloping black concrete walls of the Memorial Plaza, many stopped to take pictures of the crash site, marked by a boulder less than 100 yards away.

“Along the pathway nearest to the crash site, visitors left candles, flowers and drawings made by a child. One unsigned drawing read: ‘I am sorry you died, Uncle.’

“Several people paused as they walked from the security checkpoint to the dedication ceremony site, where the plane passed over moments before impact, and stared at the boulder. Some whispered to their companions, ‘That’s it.’ Others wept.”

***

“[O]n Monday, when the crowds are gone, the families of the 40 passengers and crew members who were killed when the plane was hijacked by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001, will hold a private service to bury the unidentified remains of all of those who were on board.

“Those remains have been kept in an above-ground crypt for the last 10 years by the Somerset County coroner, Wallace Miller, awaiting a final resting place. They will be laid to rest in three steel coffins at the patch of earth — sodden now from endless rains — where the plane rammed into the ground.

“‘This will be our last funeral,’ Mr. Bingham said…

“‘I view it as the first — and last — reuniting of people who have a shared destiny and a now common history,’ Mr. White said.”

***

Via Mediaite.

***

“One of the lessons of 9/11 is that evil is real, and so is courage.”

***

From Time’s “Portraits of Resilience” feature. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hi Dire.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Heres the French Brothers Documentary
=======================================

The documentary made by two French Brothers originally about a rookie in a NYC firehouse, which turned into a first hand documentary about the events that unfolded on September 11th 2001.
******************************************************************
(2 Hours))
9/11 documentary part 1

canopfor on September 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Goin’ to bed. The Mr. said he’d join me @ church. since he’s not Catholic we’re going Nazarene.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Hi and bye Canop!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 2:18 AM

blatantlbue: turn on A&E. A great program about a photographer that shot pictures on ground zero.
carbon_footprint on September 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Not near a tv but I think I’ve seen that before. I feel so filled with rage right now. Never ever ever forget. Ever.

My friend and I were texting before. He was 14 running from the WTC from his high school less than five blocks away. FOURTEEN.

My cousins were stranded on manhattan island at as high schoolers. My maternal aunt was so afraid for her children stuck there. My other aunt watched the towers billow from her hospital. My uncle worked recovery and clean up. My father piloted flights out of Kennedy Intnl NYC days after. I remember the fear. I remember their fear. Neighbors of ours. Neighbors of my grandmothers. Dead. Gone.

I remember the funerals for firefighters. I remember attending one in my town with my father. We stood in a crowd to the side with a group of elderly veterans.

I remember how quiet everything was. No memory is as clear as the moment we found out the world trade center had been hit in school. It was my lifetime orientation event.

I could scream I’m so fcking mad. SCREAM. Never ever forget. Ever.

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 2:20 AM

canopfor on September 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Great to see you friend!..:):)

Dire Straits on September 11, 2011 at 2:24 AM

And the CIA should be a fcking assassination squad.

No nation building. Pure assassination. Hunt the targets. Torture the targets’ affiliates. Whatever it takes. Murder, hunt, shoot, bomb our way through. Assassinate. Do not build.

Assassinate their leaders. Punish them with swift and distinct prejudice. Destroy them. Infiltrate their circles. This country should be breeding Arabic speakers with which to destroy the Islamic terrorist element. Violence of the most specific and virulent kind will put the enemy to rest.

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 2:27 AM

We should be assassinating HVTs without hesitation. Yemen. Somalia. Egypt. Indonesia. Whenever. Wherever. Goodnight.

Never forget. Never ever ever ever ever ever

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Hi and bye Canop!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 11, 2011 at 2:18 AM

annoyinglittletwerp:Nite ALT *Waves*,nite!:)
****************************************************

canopfor on September 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM
Great to see you friend!..:):)

Dire Straits on September 11, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Dire Sraits:Hey,good to see ya,just a qick pop in!-:)

canopfor on September 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I wanted W. to turn the Middle East into an 18,000 hole golf course.

Lanceman on September 11, 2011 at 2:34 AM

But I think I’m going to leave HA of my own accord for a while. I’ve been spit on one too many times. Happy trails to you until we meet again.

gryphon202 on September 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Nah. Don’t leave. You’re just pissed off. For what it’s worth, I wasn’t offended.

John the Libertarian on September 11, 2011 at 2:43 AM

We are all a living history lesson–those who experienced that day. We owe it to those who died–we MUST pass it on to those who were too young to know.

lovingmyUSA on September 11, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Saw this,years back,and is kryptonite against Truther 9/11
NutJobs!!

World Trade Center – Anatomy of the Collapse (2002) (1/4)
**********************************************************

canopfor on September 11, 2011 at 3:50 AM

That’s all fine and dandy, but it does not change what he said about islam being a religion of peace, love and tolerance.

I think politicians do this for a few basic reasons:

1) Not all Muslims are violent, murdering thugs. (I live two doors down from a very nice, average American Muslim family – it honestly would not be fair to mistreat them or judge them because Muslims in other countries – or even a couple of miles from our neighborhood – act like barbarians.)

2) I don’t know how many Muslims reside in the United States or in Texas, but President Bush was their president, and Rick Perry is governor to some. Our elected representatives are obligated to treat them fairly and treat them as individuals, and they should.

3) Politicians say these things because they are appealing to people’s better natures. No need to alienate people unnecessarily. While Bush made moderate statements about Islam, he had no trouble clearly identifying, in public, who the bad guys were and he took a lot of heat for it. While we need to focus on our war with bad people, nobody wants a war with all of Islam (well, maybe some here do). That would just be crazy.

I hate to see all the simplistic thinking about this, like “Islam, BAD!’ Well, there are quite obviously a lot – A LOT – of bad Muslims in the world, and we are at war with many of them, that’s true – but not all, and no responsible president or governor would suggest that we WERE at war with them all.

capitalist piglet on September 11, 2011 at 3:50 AM

lovingmyUSA on September 11, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Excellent Post!..:)

Dire Straits on September 11, 2011 at 3:54 AM

And the CIA should be a fcking assassination squad.

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Never forget. Never ever ever ever ever ever

blatantblue on September 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Amen. The ban on assassinations has got to be one of the most evil, regressive policies enacted by our government in the last century. Any true progressive (not as in “progressive movement” but as in actual progress) would realize that killing the people most responsible for these atrocities is the most humane thing to do for everyone on either side.

RINO in Name Only on September 11, 2011 at 4:07 AM

It’s a lot more secluded than it looks on t.v.

TxAnn56 on September 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yep, the population density of the Flight 93 crash area is some of the lowest in the eastern USA. The site itself is in a huge field.

petefrt on September 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM

It’s a lot more secluded than it looks on t.v.

TxAnn56 on September 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM

petefrt on September 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM

The feeling I got when I saw it was that divine intervention played a part in the crash site. You have to go down all these tiny back roads to get there. We needed the GPS, a smartphone, old fashioned maps to find it. When you finally come upon this enormous field, it just gives you goose bumps. Very few houses around the area. Think how many people could have been killed had it crashed in Pittsburgh. Indescribable courage.

TxAnn56 on September 11, 2011 at 6:47 AM

I just flipped through the special commemorative issue of TIME magazine, dated Sept. 19, and it begins with a timeline on the inside front cover –

“Sept. 11, 2001/8:46 a.m. Hijackers crash American Airlines Flight 11 into floors 93 through 99 of the World Trade Center’s north tower…9:03 a.m. Hijackers…9:37 Hijackers…10:03 a.m. Hijackers…”

Hijackers? TIME identifies the airlines, the flight number, the building and the floors that were hit, but can’t say “Muslim terrorists” instead of “hijackers”?

The cowardice of TIME and other news media is something else we should never forget.

KyMouse on September 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM

My take.

kingsjester on September 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM

77 more Americans wounded in that Taliban Hellhole Afghanistan in a truck bomb this morning.

10 years…….10 years and no sign of a “WIN” in Afghanistan?

How long does it take the Worlds’ Military superpower to defeat a bunch of thug 7th Century goat herders with RPGs?

How many Americans have to be made fallen heroes in that Mountainous desert before we stop pussy footing around and the military actually defeat these 3rd world wretches?

PappyD61 on September 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM

a capella on September 11, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Excellent advice. Maybe there was something in the air (like a horrible anniversary) because I stopped commenting because I was feeling mean. Seeing our country at her best, with all her heroes, can be devastatingly sad.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Akzed on September 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Islam looks down on non-Muslims as second class. To them, we and any other non-Muslims are the “n!ggers”:

n!gger n.
3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons

It’s ingrained in their religion. In Arabia, the spiritual home of Islam, non-Muslims are truly second class. It’s a foreign concept to Islam that we are all brothers. They are brothers. We are infidels.

Paul-Cincy on September 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I think politicians do this for a few basic reason:

capitalist piglet on September 11, 2011 at 3:50 AM

The problem I have with what Bush said was he said that religion of peace crap a day or two later. I was not in a mood to ass kiss while hurting.

arnold ziffel on September 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

You sound just like the CBC – and we also know that you hate Barack Obama, racists.

Lon Chaney on September 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM

HATE lil barry? Not at all. He’s just an inconsequential little snot who will disappear into jimmy carteresque irrelevancy after January of 2013.

That he’s determined to destroy America — THAT I hate.

[Btw, your race card has expired. Please draw another to continue to play the game.]

Solaratov on September 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM

To the passengers and crew of Flight 93: we are humbled and awed by the courage and resolve you displayed on that fateful day. You were ordinary people who suddenly found yourselves in extraordinary circumstances, and you rose to the occasion. Your brave and selfless actions that day have been an inspiration to all of us, and we will never forget what you did. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

AZCoyote on September 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM