Paul: No, Perry didn’t assault me

posted at 10:05 am on September 9, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Via The Right Scoop, we have closure on the Perry-assaulted-an-old-man meme that erupted after pictures of Ron Paul and Rick Perry from the debate got published.  I ran a caption contest last night to poke fun of the meme (and the picture), which predictably turned into a kerfuffle over what a bully Rick Perry must have been … while the national news media watched his every move and in front of a live audience of hundreds.  Ron Paul spoke to a Simi Valley gathering and addressed the rumors, telling a rather charming story about teasing a reporter from the Des Moines Register about the incident being “so bad” that he didn’t dare talk about it.  In reality, the first meeting between the two Texans was so unremarkable that Paul doesn’t even recall what was said, but says that the two didn’t exchange any “cross words” at all:

I’m pretty sure that Paul would have had no problem blasting Perry had there been any malice involved in this altercation, so I’d consider The Case Of The Arm Grab officially solved, and that no one dunit.

Comments

Soooo…Perry intimidated him so badly that Paul can’t even talk about it.

Yes, /sarc.

TexasDan on September 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I’m sure that people are already thinking of ways to have Perry touch their arm and claim “assault”.

faraway on September 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Ah ha, so the Bilderburgers have now gotten to Ron Paul!

/Ronulan

rbj on September 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Yeah—but just wait until the MSM break the story of Perry giving 1/2 billion dollars to a solar company that just went BK. What? Wrong guy?

Never mind

dirtseller on September 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Told you. Perry threatened to sic Bilderberg on him. Now watch the mighty Doctor Two First Names, America’s Greatest Patriot, The Only Man Who Can Save America suddenly talk about boosting foreign aid and leaving the Fed alone.

MadisonConservative on September 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Nice to see the Congressman has decided he doesn’t really want the Chris Crocker contingent of his supporters to be the campaign’s official spokespeople.

jon1979 on September 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Do the MSM really think voters are going to be turned off by the prospect of an alpha male in the White House, after 4 years of the current metrosexual, mom-jeans-wearing wimp?

They really have their finger on the pulse of the American electorate, don’t they? \

AZCoyote on September 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Soooo…Perry intimidated him so badly that Paul can’t even talk about it.

Yes, /sarc.

TexasDan on September 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

WINNER

mizflame98 on September 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I’ve never met him before…

That’s how big Texas is, lol.

Fallon on September 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

OT: NY Times says Palin is correct

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I’ve never met him before…

That’s how big Texas is, lol.

Fallon on September 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

LOL! But that’s really hard to believe that the two have never met. I’m a nobody and I’ve met Rick Perry several times.

mrsmwp on September 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

TexasDan on September 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Yep, a case of obviously battered wife syndrome.

MJBrutus on September 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM

It was more of a playful caress.

Mr. Joe on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

So Perry was staging a phony alpha male photo op? Sarah, save us!

cartooner on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Interesting spin on the debate there Ed…and a little exaggerated. Most critiques that I read were that the picture didn’t look good for Perry and would be used by the LSM. I counted two posters who said Perry was a bully: unseen (typical) and JA. There were a couple others who said that Perry should be careful with his body language because of bad optics and were accused of calling Perry a bully (Steebo77 and Kim roy among the most vocal). I don’t think that qualifies as a “kerfuffle about what a bully Perry is.” I’d call it another case of people twisting words to play victim for their preferred candidate. Honestly, it was mild.

Also, this characterization of the thread ignores the overwhelming amount of posts that were captions.

Pattosensei on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

OT: NY Times says Palin is correct

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

OMG, the author better get a bodyguard, or two.

faraway on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I never thought it looked like bullying – it looked to me like he was being invited over for Sunday BBQ. “You be sure and come on over on Sunday – it won’t be the same without you!”

Queen0fCups on September 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM

OT: NY Times says Palin is correct

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

They REALLY don’t want to see Perry win the nomination!

Queen0fCups on September 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

According to the NYT, Sarah Palin is electable!

The Morning Spew

bloggless on September 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM

OT: NY Times says Palin is correct

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

What I found most interesting about that article was the opening statement admitting their blatant bias:

Let us begin by confessing that, if Sarah Palin surfaced to say something intelligent and wise and fresh about the present American condition, many of us would fail to hear it.

A little advice: You probably shouldn’t have posted this in a Perry thread where people are already complaining about the treatment of the Texan in HA comments (especially by Palin supporters). You’ll be accused of hijacking the thread (which in all honesty is actually happening).

Pattosensei on September 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM

They REALLY don’t want to see Perry win the nomination!

Queen0fCups on September 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

LOL! It sure looks that way.

cartooner on September 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

OT: NY Times says Palin is correct

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Not a Palin thread.
I know-unbelievable.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I bet Gov. Perry was filling him on the fire and the damages, I would think that that is number one on the minds of all Texans right now.

Cindy Munford on September 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM

OMG, the author better get a bodyguard, or two.

faraway on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

And the Nista needs a friggin life.

CW on September 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

They REALLY don’t want to see Perry win the nomination!

Queen0fCups on September 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

LOL! It sure looks that way.

cartooner on September 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Not a Palin thread.
I know-unbelievable.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Boy am I ever prescient.

Pattosensei on September 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Way to kill your followers energy there, Ron.

thebrokenrattle on September 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

And the Nista needs a friggin life.

CW on September 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I wouldn’t mind having her life…I could look at Todd all day and live happily ever after!!

NJ Red on September 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

OT: Uncle Omar released

ConservativePartyNow on September 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Perry: Now Ron, if your district catches fire, I’m sending
state help whether you want it or not!

cartooner on September 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM

OT: a few HA’ers have been asking when I’m going to post something on MY blog. Well-I’ve got my 9/11 post up. ‘Just An Ordinary Day’.
I’m not a great writer-but you can clink on my name if you’d like to be it.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

And the Nista needs a friggin life.

CW on September 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Considering that virtually every comment you’ve posted on this site for the past several months has been about “Nista NUTTERS!!!111!11!,” I would venture that it is you who are in greater need of a life.

steebo77 on September 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Paul doesn’t even recall what was said

Paul forgets what happens two days ago? not a real good endorsement for his ability to be POTUS…

unseen on September 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Yeah right Ed/ Whether it’s over or not, that still won’t stop the usual suspects from continuing the smear, all who seem to be missing from this thread.

Knucklehead on September 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I think i’ll just dwell on your site name for awhile.

heshtesh on September 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

steebo77 on September 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’ve thought CW could be quite ignorant at times and it seems to occur so naturally.

heshtesh on September 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

heshtesh on September 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

All Aspergian women are ‘weird girls’. It goes with the territory. *shrugs*.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

He was very good humored about it, but much to his apostles dismay, he said there was nothing to it, so uneventful even, that he couldn’t even recall what was discussed. Which is remarkable, really. He couldn’t remember. The smartest, most liberty and freedom loving American – Ever – couldn’t recall a conversation with his Governor from the night before. That just strikes me as odd.

av8tr on September 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Let the record reflect:

I am a Palin supporter who believes the “Perry is a bully” meme is extremely weak tea, and practically much ado about nothing. Thank you. That is all.

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

That just strikes me as odd.

av8tr on September 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Is that the only thing about Ron Paul that strikes you as odd?

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Just teasing ALT.

heshtesh on September 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This couldn’t have worked any better. Rick Perry spends 1.5 days after his premiere defending himself against pix that make him look like a punk, and Ron Paul uses it as cover to dodge an unforced debate gaffe, and comes out looking like the gracious party.

Sometimes the Fates really do smile upon you…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

av8tr on September 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I guess the Governor just didn’t make that big of an impression on him.

What’s the expression… all hat…?

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Sometimes the Fates really do smile upon you…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

But will this help Doctor Paul’s poll numbers?

/PollsterHumpers

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

unseen on September 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Yeah.

I remember being accosted by one of our “urban campers” at the 7-11 two days ago.

I don’t remember what he said…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I don’t remember what he said…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If you could remember what he said, you might be presidential timber. LOL

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

But will this help Doctor Paul’s poll numbers?

/PollsterHumpers

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

It’ll hurt a helluva lot less than if the “Ron Paul has finally fallen for the Alex Jones, PrisonPlanet, FEMA camp conspiracy” meme I had worried about had actually developed…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Not all memes are false.

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

If you could remember what he said, you might be presidential timber. LOL

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

If I listened to what every carzy homeless person, psychotic, or half-wit Governor tried to tell me, I’d run out of time in the day…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Not all memes are false.

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

False or otherwise, it was a meme that did not develop. I’m in the habit of thanking Him for small favors…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

And I’m still waiting for one this election cycle (a small favor, I mean). Every time news breaks, it never seems to be good for the purity pushers such as myself.

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Nice story,i also remember every moment of that day,guess thats why i get so wound every time i hear people try to diminish the event ie,”We should let it go and move on”.

heshtesh on September 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM

RP….I call liar.

Perry had his finger in your face, Huntsman had to step in between the two of you and the episode didn’t go unnoticed.

By making it a “non-issue” though….Paul certainly came out looking like the better man.

Can I just say, that Mr Perry really needs to start keeping his hands to himself.

tencole on September 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Really?

I’d think if nothing else, you could take solace in the fact that Pawlenty crashed and burned so thoroughly, or that Daniels never even made it out of the gate.

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Really?

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Cold comfort, considering who’s left. I really believed that Bachmann was the best of a mediocre bunch, but I question how much longer she’ll be in the field.

gryphon202 on September 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The picture makes me think of something I have always heard about speeches/politics. They say you should never point because it comes off as being pushy/rude/demanding/lecturing or whatever. That is why Bush Sr and Clinton would hold their hand like they were pointing up and lecturing except the finger was not up.

I personally have always thought that was a line of crap, but I know I have a pretty thick skin and don’t care at all what people think of me, so who knows. But it sounds like a lot of people thought this was a big deal.

jeffn21 on September 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Voter from WA State on September 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Thanks.
I don’t normally shill but aslan’s girl and a few others had asked me when I was going to post again.
Since I can’t reach ‘em through facebook, I had to mention it here.
*smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM

RP….I call liar.

tencole on September 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Were you there? And you witnessed all of this firsthand?

Knucklehead on September 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Of course he was. That statement could only come from an eyewitness.

av8tr on September 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Looks pretty friendly and professional to me. What the hell is so offensive about a hand on an arm and a finger gesture? I guess we now have to converse at double arm’s length with our hands in our pockets.

Mr. Grump on September 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

While I would still hate for him to be president, this clip makes me wish Ron Paul was my grandpa. Funny, neurotic, doddering. Just what I never had in my real grandfathers.

Jim-Rose on September 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Were you there? And you witnessed all of this firsthand?

Knucklehead on September 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Of course I wasn’t there. But it’s all out there in the photos…..are you blind?

tencole on September 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Of course I wasn’t there. But it’s all out there in the photos…..are you blind?

tencole on September 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

She not yet…but she’s getting there.
Really.
Now don’t you feel like an azz.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I counted two posters who said Perry was a bully: unseen (typical) and JA.

Pattosensei on September 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I demand a recount! I called gov goodhair a bully. And he is a bully. Bully, bully! bully!

“Ya’ got ’til sundown nex’ November ta git outta’ town Washington. There’s gonna’ be a new sheriff in them parts then.

Dang that Perry is quite the bully. Pickin’ on an old coot.

cozmo on September 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM

cozmo on September 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM

You know who this helps? The drug manufacturers, as Palin cultists everywhere suddenly require an increase in their med dosage.

xblade on September 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

If this helps Paul, it will only because it distracts from his nutball ‘the border fence can be used to keep us in’ lines.

slickwillie2001 on September 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Not true – that was obviously a Paul lookalike or a surgically altered person planted by the Illuminati in a wild bid to save Perry from a certain “assault with a deadly finger” conviction.

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Knucklehead on September 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

You are a dishonest, whiny baby with no reading comprehension.

Someone already linked to HuffPo who are doing exactly what I said they’d do yesterday.

If Perry doesn’t care about the optics, then why should anyone else, right? Especially the All Important Independents and those who sit at home and only get their news from the letters. *WE* know what’s going on, but most don’t. All they’re going to see is the media spin.

If my saying the above, which should be obvious to anyone who has been paying attention for the past three years, is a smear, then you are dishonest and lazy.

And yes, you fool, I would be saying the same thing about ANY of the candidates. Let the LSM and Obama’s minions work for their lies, not hand it to them.

kim roy on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Someone already linked to HuffPo

And word is that someone at Daily Kos wrote a “diary” about the unprecedented, brutal attack! Perry better go into hiding and lawyer up before someone at Democratic Underground puts up a post!!

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Snicker… that’s exactly what they want you to believe…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Snicker… that’s exactly what they want you to believe…

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Yes, the old switcheroo ploy. But they don’t fool me, the TRUTH will out!

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Rick Skerry hates old people. He wants to take away their government meat, their Social Security and have them pressed until their oils come out. Cheap energy.

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Rick Perry is so uncharming that Ron Paul might vote for him.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

So true! We have to end the “Bush-Perry Soylent Green Seniors Plan”. Perry’s just like Bush – who can forget when Bush violently grabbed some old guy by the hand and ruthlessly dragged the poor old feller off White House grounds? Is there no end to the violence? Can’t we all just get along?

whatcat on September 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Now if being careful not to give the opposition ammunition is something Perry doesn’t think is important, well, *shrug*. kim roy on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

What exactly do you want him to do about it? This is who he is, he is animated and touches people according to all reports on his campaign style. He slaps their back, grabs their wrist, elbow, puts his around people’s backs, cups their cheek, and wags his finger when talking the way Bill Clinton and Bill O’reilly often do – that is who he is and there will be tens of thousands of pictures a dishonest liberal site can finger through to take out of context. The only thing he can do is make sure he steers clear of someone intentionally trying to antagonize him – but even that will be very hard to do; remember when Obama touched the elbow of that tea party woman during his bus tour? Some conservative blogs were claiming he assaulted her, there is nothing that can be done about that.

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

forget to finish my point:

This meme was started by Ron Paul fanatics. Perry can’t do anything about the liberals shaping the optics the way they want – Conservatives can avoid giving them any ideas.

Ron Paul diehards claim Perry assaulted an old man, and Romney’s campaign claim he wants to strip seniors of Social Security, that s*** feeds the liberal smear machine.

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

*I* don’t want him to do anything.

This is like going for a job interview. You (in the generic sense) may pick your nose, bite your fingernails and like to rub arms, but you put on your nicest suit, comb your hair and present yourself in the best manner. You keep your hands to yourself and your fingers out of your face. It may not be who you are, but you want to impress the interviewer and possibly other staff/management.

This is the most intensive job interview in the world. If you normally are a touchy, pointy type of guy, but sometimes people misinterpret it innocently or even maliciously and you really want this job, THEN YOU STOP DOING IT FOR A WHILE.

It’s like Palin’s screechy voice. Yes, it’s superficial and BS, but do you want to put yourself out there like a caricature? Get on SNL with a screechy voice talking about your oddly named children? Or Christie if he were ever to run for office would be derided for his size. It happens here and we should know better. But that’s just who he is, right? People will overlook it, right?

Why are people having an issue about this? I’m not saying he’s a bad candidate, but that he’s voluntarily putting himself in unnecessarily bad situations and ones in which detract from the positives.

You guys win. It isn’t important and whatever SNL/LSM/Obama minion meme gets suited up people will know better and ignore the superficialities, because voters aren’t superficial and shallow.

kim roy on September 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

kim roy on September 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Stop stalking me, weirdo.

Knucklehead on September 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Funny how some folks that wanted to use this to beat up on Perry have grown silent..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM

We can argue whether its Palinbots or Paulbots or liberals or whatever, but the fact is he can stop this himself by acting like he’s on a job interview, which is exactly what he is in. kim roy on September 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

He did nothing wrong and his campaign style has always served him well, so he should just be himself. This is a non-issue.

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Daemonocracy on September 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM

But…but…but…some poster at Huffpo was upset!!!!
::snarkity-snark::