NYT shocked, shocked to find Palin has anti-establishment principles

posted at 12:05 pm on September 9, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I seriously have no words to introduce this news story from the New York Times:

Let us begin by confessing that, if Sarah Palin surfaced to say something intelligent and wise and fresh about the present American condition, many of us would fail to hear it.

That is not how we’re primed to see Ms. Palin. A pugnacious Tea Partyer? Sure. A woman of the people? Yup. A Mama Grizzly? You betcha.

But something curious happened when Ms. Palin strode onto the stage last weekend at a Tea Party event in Indianola, Iowa. Along with her familiar and predictable swipes at President Barack Obama and the “far left,” she delivered a devastating indictment of the entire U.S. political establishment — left, right and center — and pointed toward a way of transcending the presently unbridgeable political divide.

A “curious thing”?  Really?  Sarah Palin has been doing that very thing, almost uninterrupted, for her entire political career.  Regardless of what people might think of her chances for political office or her activism, Palin has been an anti-establishment voice from the very beginning.

In 2011, the New York Times thinks this is news.  I actually had to triple-check this article to make sure it didn’t fall under the Opinion section.  I don’t want to take too many swipes at Anand Giridharadas for finally getting around to noticing this, but if the Gray Lady took three years to suddenly discover that Palin was an anti-establishment populist who takes on both parties, then that really says something about their approach to the news.

Palin took on the Republican Party in Alaska, blowing the whistle on corruption in the GOP in Alaska as a member of the state oil commission.  She rode that reputation to the governor’s office, where she fought the oil companies to protect Alaska’s interests in its natural resources.  Did they not bother to find out these two basic facts about her political career when the Times and other national media outlets busied themselves reporting on the used tanning bed Palin bought with her own money?

Giridharadas reports on the new discoveries from her Indianola speech:

But when her throat was cleared at last, Ms. Palin had something considerably more substantive to say.

She made three interlocking points. First, that the United States is now governed by a “permanent political class,” drawn from both parties, that is increasingly cut off from the concerns of regular people. Second, that these Republicans and Democrats have allied with big business to mutual advantage to create what she called “corporate crony capitalism.” Third, that the real political divide in the United States may no longer be between friends and foes of Big Government, but between friends and foes of vast, remote, unaccountable institutions (both public and private).

Palin has been making that point on the national stage for more than two years, since Republicans lost to Barack Obama in 2008.  If the Times had bothered to cover her objectively, they wouldn’t have waited until 2011 to notice this.  But like most of the national media, they’ve been much more interested in covering Levi Johnston than the Tea Parties.

Something tells me, though, that the Times knew this all along.  I’m guessing that their sudden interest in the substantive Palin has less to do with being shocked, shocked to find that she’s anti-establishment than in subtly encouraging her to jump into the GOP race, which they might see as a way to split Republicans and keep Barack Obama in office.  That’s flawed, too, but having seen their subtle encouragement of John McCain and their disgusting smears of him as soon as he wrapped up the nomination in 2008, their sudden appreciation for Palin has me just a wee bit suspicious.

Update: One commenter points out that the author calls this a “column,” and not a news story.  Fair point, but it’s also in the NYT’s US news section, not its opinion section.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Next to Paul, Mr. Libertarian, of all the other candidates and almost candidates Palin has the most libertarian philosophy, tempered by her pragmatism.

Viator on September 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I think that’s probably true. And quite frankly, I could go for a pragmatic populist with a libertarian streak. A modern, kinder Andrew Jackson with a splash of Goldwater and pioneer spirit.

Firefly_76 on September 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Firefly_76 on September 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Frankly I could go for someone who unabashedly loves this country and trusts “We the People” more than Washington.

txmomof6 on September 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I think for example that when the Tea Party movement first began, Palin calculated politically that it would grow in influence because of the wild crazy legislation shoved through the Pelosi Congress and signed by President Obama. She was among the very first prominent Republicans to get behind the Tea Party cause and lay her own prestige in the line for it over and over again.

Looks like now in hindsight she calculated that much better than most Republicans did in early 2009. She was on it, they took 6 months to catch up to the people.

She seems to be quite good at reading the mood of the public.

Brian1972 on September 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I usually find myself in agreement with you, but I don’t think calculation is why Palin embraced the Tea Party. Remember, this is someone who has dealt with government as a small business owner, a small town politician, as a school board member. She is a few years older than me and I remember growing up in a time when it didn’t seem like everyone was involved in everyone else’s business. The nanny state was still in its infancy in a way. No one made a big deal about what kind of lunch you packed for your kids, how much TV we watched, and whether we had approved floatations devices for the pool and were wearing a bike helmet at all times.

It’s different now. When you have young kids, like I do, like Palin does, when you have teenagers, like I do, like Palin does, you realize how much freedom we’ve lost in this country compared to when we were young. So when people start to question the behemoth institution in DC, regular people with regular jobs who have never before attended a political event, I think Palin saw that a majority of people were waking up to what she’s been fighting for years and she was supporting the movement not as a calculating politician, but as a fellow American relieved to see the sleeping giant finally awaken. If she had been calculating she would have tried to corral the energy like Michelle Bachman and use it for her own devices. But she hasn’t.

piglet on September 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Are there no Palin-hating ‘tardoes for me to screw with?

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Feel free to “sic” your pit bull on this puppy, if you’d like. No need to even bother with the lipstick…

I’ll just leave this here.

‘nista chihuahua

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Ah, one of the ‘nista chihuahuas takes the bait.

I am a ‘nista, little one, but not a ‘nista chihuahua like yourself.

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

If Independents and Libertarians ever truly look at her positions instead of the hype they will gravitate to her message.

txmomof6 on September 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Yep. I read excerpts of her speech to my libertarian husband about cronyism and he was shocked that she shared his views.

piglet on September 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

piglet on September 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Not really.

Observing the Tea Party form, and noticing these people are concerned about what I am concerned about is honest.

Looking ahead, and deciding these issues will be even more in the forefront in the future and this movement needs to be involved in a big way in 2010 and how can I help that happen, that is political calculation.

It seems the phrase has a negative connotation by itself, when really the negativity is that much political calculation is meant to obfuscate and deceive, but it is possible to be honest about it too.

It’s like the word “propaganda’. When people hear that word, they think of Goebbels, or Pravda, Ministry of Information.

Propaganda is merely a technique. What if the content of the propaganda is %100 true? Is it still bad?

My point is that Sarah Palin has been very savvy about the Tea Party from the beginning. Many people argue now that the big Palin rallies in 2008 were the Tea Party being born.

I think it amounts to the Obama Agenda has driven the country in Palin’s direction politically, she has not had to move but just wait on everyone else to come over where she has been all along.

The “political calculation” I’m talking about is she was smart enough to recognize this for what it really was right away, when many other so-called “experts” took a few months before they were willing to admit it was for real.

Brian1972 on September 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I am a ‘nista, little one, but not a ‘nista chihuahua like yourself.

carbon_footprint on September 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Well, I personally don’t consider myself a ‘nista and in fact look at it as somewhat of a derogatory term…

I consider myself a red, white & blue patriotic American, not some 3rd world revolutionary type…

I’m also not a TPer, I’ve never been to a Tea Party meeting — but I am an incredibly strong supporter of Sarah Palin. Because, IMO if this country doesn’t “revolt at the ballot box in 2012″ then we will turn into one of those 3rd world countries and perhaps face real revolutions…

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Has Palin established a fund raising committee yet? Does she have an exploration committee set up yet? She has to file in SC no later than 10/31 to run. So basically, she has 53 days to make her decision. I know there are some grassroot groups out there supporting her, but does she have formal committees set up other than her PAC which is not a political campaign committee? If so, I haven’t heard any announcement of those committees. Does anyone know?

Voter from WA State on September 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Do you think that Mrs. Palin, having spent a significant amount of time in politics, is unaware of deadlines, timetables, and the necessary structure she will need to run?

She does not have 53 days to make her decision; she has made it, and has 53 days to share it with you.

massrighty on September 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Why? I am a Bushbot, and proudly so. Regardless of his semi-embrace of liberalism and its accompanying wet dreams, I loved, and still love the man. I wish he were President right now.

I’ve said many times before that with the exception of Ronald Reagan, one must go back all the way to Eisenhower to find a better President.

I love Palin. Is she running? I don’t know. Hope she does. If she does, I will support her before the others.

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

massrighty on September 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Nicely said. Why these morons think that Palin should announce according to someone elses time table is beyond me. If they
had half the brains Sarah Palin has they would be working to make something of themselves, making their parents, spouse or children proud of them, rather than post drivel about Palin (mostly not
making much sense) on this or any other website.

Amjean on September 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I just don’t like the ‘nista part of the term. Call me a member of the Palin Nation if you must use labels — that one I can handle much better…

I’m not trying to overthrow this country, I’m trying to rescue and restore it…

If you read farther up the thread, you’ll find that I was a staunch GWB defender. I didn’t agree with all his policies and a few things he did disappointed me quite a bit, but I defended him just as I think he tried his damnedest to defend us…

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM

cuda playing chess while the rest play tic tac toe

unseen on September 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I just don’t like the ‘nista part of the term.

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Seriously, you can’t get too bent outta shape from some dickwad behind a computer screen.

Best thinbg to do is make fun of them based on what you already know about them. Use ‘coded’ language with some. They get the point.

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM

greeneyedconservative on September 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Did you ever see a documentary called, We Will Not Be Silenced? It was about how the caucuses were stolen for Obama, from Hillary, by blacks bused into Texas and other caucus states. And how the people running the caucuses where overwhelmed and unable to maintain order or fairness. How Democrats especially older women were intimidated at the polls? Obama was made for this.. he is the puppet and I think Soros and other very evil people are the puppet masters. I’ve always been a Republican but know many Democrat women here in L.A. they were all ready to vote Hillary and believe many of them sat it out after the way Hillary was treated and then was consumed by Obama. How he won by such a wide margin is unbelieveable. I think it was fraud.

CCRWM on September 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM

CCRWM on September 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM

No, CCRWM, I haven’t seen it yet, though I’ve read articles about and interviews with the makers of the film. Yes… it was a terrible, terrible time indeed. And it WAS fraud. Both the primaries/caucuses and the general. I’m completely convinced of it.

greeneyedconservative on September 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Oh, I’m not bent out of shape. Hopefully I didn’t come across that way…

I didn’t realize he was trolling for a reaction. But, then, Bishop caught me once too…

Now I know…

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Danish is either a Paulite or a Troll.
No one has found a pimple on Sarah.
She truly is the one that the US has waited for.

buzdburd on September 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Now I know…

OnlyOrange on September 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Don’t really know if you were. But like I always say, whatever is gonna happen will happen. Anti-Palin trolls have absolutely zero effect on anyone’s opinion here.
On the contrary, fools like cdseven, et al are seriously obsessed and it’s funnier’n sh!t. They lose sleep. Witness the evidence – marathon trollery. I can jack with one, go do my life, and come back and they’re still here!
I don’t want to see any of them banned. They provide a temporary respite from daily problems.
Even narutoboy, whose banning I agree with, was comical to watch.

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

cuda playing chess while the rest play tic tac toe

unseen on September 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Figureatively, because she might not know the real game of chess.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Give Perry another week and he may have turned into the devil himself.

Seniors are supposedly quaking in their walkers, and next thing you know Ron Paul will file assault charges against him (per MSNBC).

Palin knows she couldn’t buy enough of this candidate destruction.

PappyD61 on September 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM

PappyD61 on September 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Pappy, how you doing?

I’m glad to see you come around to Palin…

the next few weeks are going to be a trip..:)

idesign on September 10, 2011 at 12:07 AM

PappyD61 on September 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM

They are delusional. Did you see this today?

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2011 at 12:22 AM

buzdburd on September 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I believe Buy Danish might be a fan of Gov. Romney but mostly she is an establishment Republican Party person.

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM

And a great and smart lady!

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Well, don’t know about Buy Danish’s “establishment” allegiance, but she’s a great and smart lady for sure.

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Schadenfreude on September 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Yes, she appears to be all of those things. I don’t share her feelings about Gov. Palin or trust the Republican party to do the right thing but it doesn’t detract anything from Buy Danish.

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Are there no Palin-hating ‘tardoes for me to screw with?

Lanceman on September 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!

Lanceman AKA Maximus Decimus Meridius on September 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

VidOmnia on September 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Voter from WA State on September 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM

You’re asking questions similar to ones you have previously asked and had answered…

Gohawgs on September 10, 2011 at 1:33 AM

NYTards

pat on September 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!

Lanceman AKA Maximus Decimus Meridius on September 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

VidOmnia on September 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Fu**in A!

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Figureatively, because she might not know the real game of chess.

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Of course, you do know that she’s not yet a declared candidate for chess master either? The elite chess world isn’t in danger as is our freedom and our economy – but some don’t yet see that -she does.

Don L on September 10, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Fu**in A!

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Someone was doing heavy duty drugs over the past 24 hours. You’re crazy like most Nistas. Nuts.

CW on September 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I’m just proposing a scenario that Palin having waited will weaken any real Conservative that might oppose Romney (the media darling of the moment).

I do think it’s very possible that the not wart free Palin COULD be the FEARLESS CONSERVATIVE we’ve been waiting for. But I’m not entirely convinced she’s going to run. I saw her on with Megym Kelly the other day and Palin was back to playing all silent about “the big tease”. And of course she repeatedly says she doesn’t need a title.

If she runs…… She is my first choice 110%. It would be a great campaign.

PappyD61 on September 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Sarah Palin knows how to play the kind of Chess that matters…

SurferDoc on September 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM

If she runs…… She is my first choice 110%. It would be a great campaign.

PappyD61 on September 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM

The left, and some on the right will pull out all stops to prevent her from winning.

darwin on September 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

buzdburd on September 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM

My issue with Buy Danish is that her response to Palin seems to be visceral rather than intellectual. She’s obviously smart and accomplished, Buy Danish I mean, so why the antipathy towards another strong, independent minded woman? I really don’t understand unless she has ties to the Republican establishment that Palin threatens.

While I don’t understand her position, I do find that it focuses the mind when arguing with her as it forces me to reflect on why I support Palin. I find it frustrating that she expends a lot of energy attacking Palin, yet even longtime Hot Air commenters don’t know who she supports. And that leads me to wonder, if Palin is the GOP nominee will Buy Danish vote for her?

piglet on September 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM

i was gobsmacked by this nyt piece until my husband pointed out that the left would now love for palin to come in and play the perot spoiler role.

i don’t know what she will do, but i know one thing and that is that she will never give the left a gift like that.

perries on September 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM

perries on September 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Maybe not. This piece is interesting. Gives a little insight into what some on the left really think.

darwin on September 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM

perries on September 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It doesn’t sound like your husband knows what he is talking about. The fact is that many in the MSM believe 100% that Palin isn’t running as such they can now use Palin who they painted as a extreme (who isn’t) to show how much more extreme the rest of the field is (many who are extreme).

unseen on September 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

darwin on September 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Which is why we need to look back at Reagan’s campaign and learn from it.

Fallon on September 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The media will preach 24/7 that the GOP nominee is Satan incarnate……no matter who it is.

If we miss this chance to get a FEARLESS CONSERVATIVE in the White House and we get another 8 years of Bush style Progressivism we might as well forget the US as a sovereign “decider” of it’s own fate. The IMF will be telling US what to do.

PappyD61 on September 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM

piglet on September 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM

It’s a good question, I don’t know if you could vote for Gov. Palin if she were the nominee.

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

piglet on September 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Agree that her response is “skin-deep” like those who complain about Sarah’s voice tone. That’s why I offered to PayPal her the cost of watching The Undefeated on PPV if she’d invest the time to watch it…

Once people see her actions and accomplishments, in the context of an unwavering view of America and the power of its people, the whole discussion changes.

OnlyOrange on September 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Correction “if she could vote for Gov. Palin……”

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

It’s worse than they finding out that Palin is anti establishment.

They figured out that the right is anti corportism–when the government takes over corporations thru “cooperation” and “legistlation”

LeeSeneca on September 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Correction “if she could vote for Gov. Palin……”

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Of course she could. Anyone could. The question is whether she would.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

My computer’s powercord died yesterday – I’ve borrowed my husband’s MAC. I’m busy now but will try to respond to all of you later.

Buy Danish on September 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Buy Danish on September 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Wait! You’re a broad???

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You, sir, are a troublemaker. /

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just one person. I want just one person to tell me Sarah Palin was wrong, and outline in detail why. Give me a couple of substantive paragraphs. I dare you. You will be laughed out of the thread, but go ahead and try.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I dare you. You will be laughed out of the thread, but go ahead and try.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Why? Until she declares and participates in the scheduled debates as a confirmed candidate, what difference does it make? She can write, talk and give speeches all she wants which is a good thing but at one point all eyes are going to be on those who are officially running.

sherry on September 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You, sir, are a troublemaker. /

Cindy Munford on September 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Sometimes I am. But I was genuinely surprised. It’s more than obvious when I’m speaking to Cindy Munford that I am speaking to a lady, but Buy Danish?
See, now that I know that BD is a broad, I an certain to alter the way I speak at her, provided I remember.
I hate it when, after quite some time, I carry on a conversation with someone I believe to be a man, find out that he is a she.
I am far more likely to moderate my tone with a woman. There are exceptions. Such as a known liar like cdseven.

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM

sherry on September 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Cause that’s my challenge, Sherry. Deal with the substance of what she’s saying. You’d give more credence to pundits who aren’t running for office (like Ingraham or Coulter) than you would to Sarah Palin. So if all she is at this point is a common pundit (and I may be willing to concede that point), tell me where she’s wrong.

/crickets

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM

My challenge is fair. It’s not a trick question. All I’ve gotten so far, distilled to its essence is, “But what does it matter? She’s not running.” I didn’t say shit about her intentions to run or stay out. I just asked if anyone can tell me where Sarah Palin is or has ever been wrong. Not what looks bad. Not what sounded inartful. But what was really substantively WRONG.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Don’t waste your time, bro. The other I asked Sherry point blank what her reaction would be when Palin announces. She admitted at that point her talking points will switch to something along the lines of “Palin’s run is hurting Perry and helping Romeny. Her circus act is taking attention away from the serious candidates.” Whatever people look for, they will usually find.

Kataklysmic on September 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Kataklysmic on September 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM

If Sherry has an ounce of self-respect, she won’t try a desperate answer like the one she tried on me again. I don’t really expect anyone else to even respond.

gryphon202 on September 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Such as a known liar like cdseven.

Lanceman on September 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM

cdseven is a woman?

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM

cdseven is a woman?

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM

CD is an evasive little crapweasel. Yeah I said it.

gryphon202 on September 11, 2011 at 12:13 AM

CD is an evasive little crapweasel. Yeah I said it.

gryphon202 on September 11, 2011 at 12:13 AM

No, do it like LeVin: “CD is an evasive little crapweasel. There I said it!

Lanceman on September 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM