Mila Kunis: I will forever be proud of my vote for Obama

posted at 6:10 pm on September 7, 2011 by Tina Korbe

She scored points with me when she accepted Sgt. Scott Moore’s invitation to the Marine Corps Ball, but, with her recent comments to the U.K.’s “Stylist” magazine, she lost that clout.

“I love Barack Obama, I voted for him and I will forever be proud of my vote,” she said, before defending his performance during the debt ceiling debate. “I know that he [Obama] tried. I know because you keep reading these reports of him trying to compromise with the Tea Party and the Republican Party and trying to come to a 50/50 agreement. I don’t think it was one. I feel the Democratic Party compromised everything and the Republican Party compromised pretty much nothing.”

Clearly, “these reports” she’s referring to came from limited sources. She’d’ve read a far different rendering of the debt drama if she had clicked on Hot Air a time or two.

But what really got my goat was the way she bashed Middle America. In a sequence of remarks in which she lamented the general lack of political knowledge among young people — and encouraged young voters to educate themselves simply by reading (a laudable sentiment) — she suggested folks in flyover country are less aware than those on the coasts.

She chided the younger generation for not reading books, the news, the paper, and then zoned in on “Middle America.” “So obviously you are incredibly ill-informed to the point where they will go do these tests in Middle America… And they’ll ask, ‘OK, what party are you?’ And they’ll say, ‘Republican.’ ‘Why?’ And they can’t even tell you. They have no idea what the Republican Party stands for. Why did I vote for Obama? I can tell you why I voted for him, what I agreed and disagreed with him on, for hours.”

Her advice for the youth of today: “Whoever you vote for, don’t do it just because. And don’t tell me it’s because of religion either because that whole thing is knocked completely out the window. So you better just educate yourself.”

I’ve been searching for these “tests” she refers to, but I’m having little success finding them. Still — let’s say Kunis is right and Middle America is less plugged into the national and international political scene than the coasts. I’d buy that for several reasons — the news media is concentrated on the coasts, the nation’s capital is on the East Coast and international travel is easier from the coasts. But, if that is true, in my observation, it’s at least as much because residents of “the rest of the country” are busy running businesses, raising families and going to church on Sunday as it is because they’re apathetic, as Kunis implies. But then, in Kunis’ opinion, religion is “knocked completely out the window” (by what she doesn’t say), so maybe the faithful should spend Sundays watching talk shows instead of listening to homilies to earn her esteem.

Additionally, anecdotally, I’ve met far more Southerners who’ve ventured to visit major cities on the seaboard than I’ve met coasters who’ve ventured to visit major cities in the Midwest and South. All of this is to say: the so-called “D.C. disconnect” probably does exist — but the disconnect goes both ways. That’s one reason I applauded House leadership’s decision to allow representatives more time in their home districts. Kunis might want to take her own advice and educate herself about what Middle America — and the Tea Party — actually stands for before she dismisses it out of hand.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What bashing? She doesn’t know much about life outside the coasts. She also lives in an Obama bubble. Unfortunately, many people do these things.

Some people are such candyasses these days. Any different opinion is bashing or trolling.

So, she didn’t go to some friggin dance. Big deal.

Moesart on September 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

She’s Hollywood. What did you all really expect from her?

mizflame98 on September 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM

She should just stick to what she is good at…. looking pretty.

WyoMike on September 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM

And I care because………..?

Paid for by the Committee to Erect David Wu on September 8, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I used to admire her as well. Although it was far more narrow minded. She’s hot. But she just lost that quality with me, and is now nothing more than a mindless part of Hollywood. She is right in one respect, but she has it reversed. I’ve long said that the liberal folks are not an intelligent, educated group. They merely swallow whatever the MSM feeds them and considers it fact.

Obozo just needs to be removed so things can get back to normal.

stacman on September 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Is it bad if I said “I’d still hit it”?

Shambhala on September 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM

One more idiot Hollywood-type that just couldn’t keep her mouth shut. You don’t anger those who are most likely to go and see your movies, thereby guaranteeing you nice fat checks. Did she not learn from that Transformers chick? Buh-bye.

TQM38a on September 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Too bad she doesn’t have the mental horsepower to connect the dots between selfless service (U.S.M.C.) and self-serving (BHO).

cane_loader on September 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM

I don’t find her pretty. Other than big blue eyes sort of shrimpy and average. But to each his own.

cane_loader on September 8, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Perhaps when she goes to the Marine Corp ball she will enlightened to find out what the servicemen feel about Obama. To say the least, she is an ill-informed liberal living in some fourth dimension of a celebrity.

SC.Charlie on September 8, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Is it bad if I said “I’d still hit it”?

Shambhala on September 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Uh, no not at all. How about a double dip.

MJZZZ on September 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM

She’s Hollywood. What did you all really expect from her?

mizflame98 on September 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM

So was Reagan and Charlton Heston-don’t paint with quite that large of a brush and you’ll be on target.

Don L on September 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Seriously, who is she? And why do I give a flying Obama what some anonymous airhead says to something called “Stylish Magazine?”

MNHawk on September 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Don L on September 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Jimmy Stewart!

In any other job you would be discouraged to voice your political stance but in Hollywood it’s perfectly okay. Isn’t it about time these people were given a review?

RDE2010 on September 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Mila Kunis: I will forever be proud of my vote for Obama a stupid twit basing all my decisions on emotion rather than fact.

FIFY, honey.

Extrafishy on September 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Funny how Ukrainian and Russian folks are “so damn bright” when it comes to politics, education, etc…. yet both are still mired in a 3rd World existance with totalitarian rule…

I say that as a Uke.

Odie1941 on September 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Dear Dumbass,

I’d like you to come to the South where we still have overwhelming Democratic registrations on the books. Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia… The problem is that many of them still think the Democratic Party has room for social conservatives and national security hawks. Please come and tell them that those days died with Scoop Jackson (if you even know who he is).

mankai on September 8, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Too bad, I always thought she was hot. Of course, it is no surprise…

About the Republicans not compromising… well… We want the debt ceiling lowered to where it was 10 years ago. Had we left the debt ceiling where it was would have been a compromise. Instead BO got an extra trillion to blow on “booze and hot pants!” (That is a joke from the The Soup on Nancy Grace)

jeffn21 on September 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Well, now let me see. If I recall there was a dumb ole’ cowboy from Texas in the previous administration that had to work with House and Senate in opposition control and he managed to get a whole bunch of work done that was unpopular with congress. Of course he was so dumb he didn’t realize it couldn’t be done so he did it.

Herb on September 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM

MNHawk on September 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn’t have known who she is if she didn’t accept that Marine’s invite. Now that I know her, I think of her as the date I brought to the dance and am desperately trying to pawn off on someone else.

itsspideyman on September 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Who is this and why should I care?

evergreen on September 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Who ?

Wade on September 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I guess Mila is a stupid as the character she played on the 70′s show.

Thanks, Russky beeyotch.

disa on September 8, 2011 at 9:57 AM

God is a just God. to those who have no brains, he gives good looks. therefore they are able to make a living as long as their looks hold up.

abcurtis on September 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Feelings, nothing more than feelings…

Count to 10 on September 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM

She has one heck of a game plan there, Insult a large portion of the population and then expect them to pay to see her movies.

Guest1.1 on September 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Mila what? Ten minutes ago I had no idea who this story was about. Now I know, but don’t care much. A 28 year old twit from LA with hardly any education* is schooling us on getting informed and educated?! This Hollywood celebrity worship is getting out of hand.

Ms. Kunis you should look up the contextual meaning of Panem et Circensis. That defines your pathetic little life quite well.

*”In Los Angeles, she attended Hubert Howe Bancroft Middle School. She was mostly taught by an on-set tutor for her high school years while filming That ’70s Show. She briefly attended UCLA and Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.”

drewas on September 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

drewas on September 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

For shame!
Didn’t your Mama teach you it’s not nice to make fun of stupid people?

VelvetElvis on September 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Heh.

Let me tell you ’bout urban folk. These are people who (a) are willing to live under insane conditions that bring out the libertarian in anyone with a brain, (b) sh*t themselves inexplicably during riots where they destroy their own environs, (c) lament suburban sprawl while ensuring the roads leading into the city keep getting bigger, (d) pay $300 to urban pet stores to buy . . . a prairie dog. That’s right, a prairie dog.

What’s striking, really, when it comes right down to it, is that all these urban, literate, educated geniuses can behave so stupidly. By Mila’s estimate, it’s only natural that flyover bumpkins are ign’ant. But what can we say about her genius cohort, who on that account would seem to have no excuse for their stupidity?

A lot of literate, educated geniuses have caused endless misery for humanity. For her to imagine that a pissing match in that regard is somehow of any moment, is jejune.

rasqual on September 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

We should all strive to her level of deep brilliance and thoughtful understanding of the major issues facing the nation today.

Alden Pyle on September 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

ANOTHER movie star I WONT be spending $20 to see.
When will THESE people just learn to keep their mouths shut?
Its too bad to, because she really is a good actress.

mmcnamer1 on September 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM

*YAWN* Another empty head Hollywood Obamabot expressing her ignorance of real life in America. She wouldn’t know an original thought if it bit her on her cute little ass.

infidel4life on September 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Uh . . . Does she know Middle America is a bunch of blue states?

Ryan Anthony on September 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Okay wait no, I misread that horribly. This is what a week of staying up until 4 AM and running solely on coffee does to you.

Ryan Anthony on September 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I’d like to drop her into a max security prison for a couple a days

Sonosam on September 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM

She should just stick to what she is good at…. looking pretty.being a vacuum-headed lib-tard who regularly brews tea from the bathwater of Maddow and Olberman.

Fixed that for you.

realitycheck on September 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

…I’ve met far more Southerners who’ve ventured to visit major cities on the seaboard than I’ve met coasters who’ve ventured to visit major cities in the Midwest and South.

+50. Or +57. :-)

Mary in LA on September 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I’d like to drop her into a max security prison for a couple a days

Sonosam on September 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM

She doesn’t deserve that! She may be stupid and silly, like most starlets, but she’s not actually vicious, and she is smart enough to agree to go out with a Marine.

Mary in LA on September 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM

That’s too bad, darlin’, because you’re overlooking an opportunity to vote for a competent person of color for President somewhere down the road. Revel in your ignorance, though …

ya2daup on September 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Soooo happy we have Michelle Malkin,Sarah Palin and a whole ton of
Conservative babes on our side.

dec5 on September 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Guest1.1 on September 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

What movies? Have you seen her credits? A majority of it stems from television and Teen Choice Awards. Her only credible film is Black Swan. She better ride that wave while it’s still rockin’

RDE2010 on September 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM

A liberal Hollywood Jew loves Obama? What else is new?

NNtrancer on September 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I should have stated it as an arrogant, liberal, Hollywood Jew who loves Obama.

NNtrancer on September 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM

And there is a high degree of probability that you will forever be known as a stupid actress, but proud of your stupidity. Nice.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on September 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Dear Mila,

I always try to avoid using the words “always” and “never”.

Because “always” and “never” are both a VERY long time.

Regards,
Diss

dissent555 on September 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I’d hit that. And then I’d leave. The old Hit ‘n’ Leave.

Coronagold on September 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“Actors are dumb.” -Truman Capote

I never would have thought that I would come to admire Mr. Capote’s intellect so very much–on this one point, at least.

So what about Ronald Reagan? He wasn’t all that smart, either, but he was hard working, observant, and sought out the best, most functional advice he could get. He had and upheld valid principles. <0, however, continues to live in la-la land and doubles/triples down on every bad decision and bad choice of advisors, wholly motivated by politics, rather than objective results. It's pitiful. Tragic for the nation.

Ms. Kunis' comments merely show that she is now and will likely always be as ill-informed, vapid, and disconnected from objective reality and responsibility as she and the rest of the 52% of voters was in November 2008. God help us if we allow such to rule us beyond 2012.

Ay Uaxe on September 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Did she used to be pretty or something?

I have no idea who she is.

BobMbx on September 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Shut up Meg !

The Evil Doctor K on September 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Ay Uaxe on September 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Capote overstated this. He claimed that “Lord Olivier couldn’t find his way around Indianapolis Raceway.”

They are not all that dumb. There is a herd mentality and they think they look bad if they act and talk like we do around here.

After all, they live in 50 million dollar homes…

IlikedAUH2O on September 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM