Video: Paul portrays Perry as “Al Gore’s Texas Cheerleader”

posted at 1:25 pm on September 6, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Yell leader, people. Rick Perry was a yell leader – and, supposedly, that actually says something positive about his political skills. Honestly, I’m not sure what people hope to achieve with these banal repetitions that Perry was a cheerleader. The only thing I can think of is that detractors hope to insinuate the man’s effeminate — but, really, who’s going to go for that? In the below ad, the term “cheerleader” is used in a different context, but the connection is what it is.

And, yes, we all know Rick Perry was, once upon a time, a Democrat. But that won’t stop his competitors from touting that fact ’til the cows come home (or, for that matter, from touting his cowboy-ism, too — although, mercifully, this ad doesn’t repeat that meme). The latest ad from the Ron Paul campaign:

But, now, after that utterly biased and unfair introduction, please allow me to say I’m impressed with the ad as an ad (far better than that atrocious Bachmann-PAC ad) — all the right touches, aesthetically speaking, from the introductory images of Reagan to the sudden shift from black-and-white to color to the subtle repetition of “The One,” the theme from an earlier Ron Paul ad. Expect to see it frequently, too: It’s backed by a six-figure ad buy, according to Politico’s Morning Score. Gotta admire the pluck. Ron Paul is not giving up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There is only one candidate running that can win this election and it is not Rick Perry.

scotash on September 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Who?

catmman on September 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I don’t get it. Why would Ron Paul be running adds now — Isn’t the Straw Poll over?

logis on September 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM

scotash on September 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Who?
catmman on September 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Think about it: If you have to ask…

logis on September 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Think about it: If you have to ask…

logis on September 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I asked because he said he wasn’t a Herr Doktor supporter. According to the Paulbots, Herr Doktor is the “only man who can save America”.

So I was asking for clarification.

Unless he’s talking about…Huntsman?

I kid, I kid.

catmman on September 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Pretty good ad except Paul is a joke. Reagan was probably laughing at how crazy Paul was.

Southernblogger on September 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I don’t care if he was the homecoming queen. Let’s hear him lay out his vision for this country in enough detail to compare with Romney.

MJBrutus on September 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Way to eat your own there Mr.Ron Paul. Oh that’s right, I forgot, your kinda sorta not really a republican.

birdhurd on September 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Unlike Romneycare and huntsman, Perry was in the party of the values he professed.

Slowburn on September 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

There is only one are many candidates running that can win this election and it is but not Rick PerryRon Paul.

scotash on September 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM

FIFY.

Reagan was probably laughing at how crazy Paul was.

Southernblogger on September 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Reagan was probably embarrassed about Ron Paul’s support, and told him to to keep quiet.

When the Texas legislature re-destricts the state, could somebody PLEASE gerrymander Ron Paul out of the House?

Steve Z on September 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I know I haven’t followed political ads for a 100 years, but I don’t recall ever seeing one by Ron Paul.

Something doesn’t sit right on this. Is there a Super Pac somewhere that’s accessible like Michelle Bachmann has now?

Maybe you that know Ron Paul better than I, can shed some light on whether this is in character or out of character for him to do.

Thanks,

bluefox on September 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM

bluefox on September 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Ron ran some TV (and a lot of radio) ads in 2007-8. The TV really wasn’t very good.

This is his third ad of this season, and all three have been better than anythign he did last time. Although I think the last ad Ron did was better than this one.

JohnGalt23 on September 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Ron Paul Reagan and Goldwater Platform Video

Spathi on September 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM

There’s a big difference between the Democratic Party of Reagan in the 1950s and the Democratic Party of Perry in the late 1980s.

bw222 on September 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

And there’s a big difference between Gore back then and Gore now.

mizflame98 on September 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Yeah. Gore dropped his mask. He pretended to be less liberal when he was running for election in Tennessee.

This is the same guy who wrote “Earth in the Balance” while pretending to be a conservative Democrat. He didn’t become more liberal. He just stopped pretending.

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Ron Paul supported Reagan who was once a Democrat but we shouldn’t support Perry who was once a Democrat. I must have missed something.

Rose on September 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I am guessing that Ron Paul denigrated Reagan but that today he’s practicing revision of earlier statements to maintain his claims that he’s really a Republican. Really he is.

Lourdes on September 7, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Paul is simply a desperate man. He doesn’t stand a chance of becoming our next President.

zoyclem on September 7, 2011 at 7:24 AM

With that image of Ron Paul sitting with Reagan, I guess Ron forgot that he resigned from the GOP because of Reagan’s policies. Now that Reagan is unable to refute Paul, he goes and implies that he fought the progressives with & for Reagan. What a putz.

AH_C on September 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM