Coming soon: Keeping your shoes on at TSA screening

posted at 12:45 pm on September 6, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Janet Napolitano heard the cries of an anguished nation this week and said that maybe … just maybe .. you might be able to keep your shoes on when going through TSA screening in the near future. Of course, you’ll still have to buy all your drinks on the plane because the liquids ban will be “the last thing to go,” but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

Air travelers will eventually be able to keep their shoes on to pass through security, but the restrictions on carrying liquids on board are likely to remain in place for some time, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a POLITICO Playbook breakfast Tuesday.

“We are moving towards an intelligence and risk-based approach to how we screen,” Napolitano told Mike Allen during a morning forum at the Newseum. “I think one of the first things you will see over time is the ability to keep your shoes on. One of the last things you will [see] is the reduction or limitation on liquids.”

“The solution to many if not all of these inconveniences is better and better technology,” Napolitano added.

It may sound like a small thing, but I have to tell you that I’d be glad to see it happen. In August, when I traveled to Alberta, Canada for the oil sands inspection tour, my plane was delayed out of Philly and I found myself running really close to the wire for my transfer in Toronto. I wound up stuffing my shoes back on but not tying them and jogging through the terminal trying to catch my connecting flight to the northwest, while dragging my not fully re-zippered carry on bag behind me. I didn’t wind up tripping over my own shoe laces, (too bad for you, YouTube!) but it did cross my mind.

What’s missing from this report is the specifics of which ‘new technology’ will allow them to peer through the mysteries of potential shoe bombers without trudging around in your stocking feet. Have they really gotten better or is Homeland Security perhaps reacting – if only partly – to a sustained tide of outrage from frequently flier voters?

Hey… anything to scrape up a couple more points in the polls, eh?

Comments

Great. Now I never have to wear socks again.

steebo77 on September 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM

You get to keep your shoes on at way tougher airports than the US’s.

This is Machiavellian to read.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Big Sis goes after Drudge

John the Libertarian on September 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Yeah right. And you are now believing this administration?

bbordwell on September 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I was overseas for work post 9/11, and I was still allowed to wear shoes through security when I got on the plane

ConservativePartyNow on September 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Like I said in the headlines. How to spot an American in a European airport? The idiots standing in line with their shoes off.

Knucklehead on September 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

ConservativePartyNow on September 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Same here-2 years after 9/11 I went on vacation to Hawai’i, and went thru several major airports-Philly, LAX and Honolulu (and back). Never was asked to take off my shoes once.

Del Dolemonte on September 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM

ONE EXECUTIVE ORDER AWAY……

from the fundamental transformation of the United States of America.

Keep that in mind as we go about the next 501 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 14 seconds.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM

OT: obama to turn Oraq back over to extremists

ConservativePartyNow on September 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

In my travels to and from Europe and Israel after 9/11 I never had to take my shoes off. That seems to have been a uniquely American reaction to the shoe bomber.

ProfessorMiao on September 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM

But can we wear our rubbers?

faraway on September 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM

but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

You suppose wrong.

RDE2010 on September 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The idiots standing in line with their shoes off.

Knucklehead on September 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

…or wearing sneakers abd shorts, late afternoons/evenings, in London or Singapore…

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

And pushing around baby strollers the size of a hearse.

Knucklehead on September 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM

PROFILING!

GarandFan on September 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

10 years after 9/11.

Cicero43 on September 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

from TSA: You may keep your shoe bombs and your ciggarrette lighters to light your shoe bombs with, but you are still not permitted to bring on board baby formula for your infant baby.

Should we expect anything less from The Stupid Administration?

paulsur on September 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Wake me when “gate rape” is shut down.

Until then, government has effectively shut down air travel for me and my family.

Government hands put down the pants of innocent US Citizens, without probable cause and without court order, is the biggest outrage since the founding of the country.

landlines on September 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You can keep your shoes on but we can still touch your junk.

vcferlita on September 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

The TSA has found that travelers are more comfortable getting the soon-to-be-introduced rectal exam if they are allowed to keep their shoes on. Win/Win!

BakerAllie on September 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

This evil dolt needs to find a real job that she can actually handle. Something like chicken sexing or pencil inspector.

pat on September 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Funny, I always take mine off anyway, since most of the time my footwear has sufficient metal to set off the detectors anyway. (hazard of my job)

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on September 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM

If you like your shoes you can keep your shoes.

pain train on September 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

On behalf of all bachelors with holes in their socks let me just say this can’t come soon enough.

landshark on September 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

It’s called PROFILING! C’mon, you can say it, it’s ok!!!

RMCS_USN on September 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I’d be happy to take my shoes off if they’d keep their hands off of us. What about the damn groping?

AnotherOpinion on September 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM

We watched a rerun of the Learning Channel’s documentary “9/11: Heroes of the 88th Floor” a few days ago, and were surprised to see that there was no identification of the terrorists who murdered almost 3,000 people that day, or of their motives.

The show took the time to identify “American Airlines Flight Number 11,” but its crashing into the tower might have been an accident, as far as the show was concerned. No mention of terrorists from the Religion of Peace.

Actually, we weren’t surprised at all. Just disgusted and sad.

KyMouse on September 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM

So, now I can get fondled by a sweaty fat dude with my shoes still on.

I guess they must have had a survey among TSA workers and they learned that a majority of TSA workers have a fetish for shoes I guess.

jeffn21 on September 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

ONE EXECUTIVE ORDER AWAY……

from the fundamental transformation of the United States of America.

PappyD61 on September 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM

But who’s counting?

Chip on September 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM

pat on September 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

As I understand it, sexing of baby chicks is not that easy.

slickwillie2001 on September 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Sniffer dogs, and sniffer pigs would be cheaper, and be more effective than the gate rape.

Slowburn on September 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM

You’re right on the verge of finally figuring out that I’m not a Muslim extremist who’s so psychotic that I’m willing to put a bomb in my shoe… But you’ll never shake the conviction that that I’m likely to put a bomb in my travel-sized shampoo bottle.

When has any part of anything anyone in this administration ever said made the tiniest bit of sense?

logis on September 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM

But I still get to have my d!ck felt, right?

After all, having flown over 1,000,000 since 9/11, with .gov having access to all my financial records, my security clearance, my military service record, with being a member of the Global Entry program which requires a background check and face-to-face interview with TSA, with all that TSA still can’t tell whether I’m a threat or not unless they get to look at or feel up my wee-wee.

glockomatic on September 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM

If you like your shoes you can keep your shoes.

pain train on September 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Winner. Winner. Chicken dinner.

thomashton on September 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

AnotherOpinion on September 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Please step into this machine, we promise it’s safe (although we aren’t technicians, and we are banned from having a sensor or radiation sensitive badge to prove that). We’ll have our minimum wage perv look at you naked through your clothes and you and your 8 year old daughter can be on your way.

Better? If you go for the scanner, and they don’t think otherwise you might be able to avoid a groping this way…

Not good enough; man you guys are just being picky now.

gekkobear on September 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Al Bundy could not be reached for comment.

Speaking of which, congrats to Ed O’Neill, who got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last week. The fact that he’s been able to successfully avoid being forever typecast as a shoe salesman shows the quality of his acting skills.

Del Dolemonte on September 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Obama wants to be a shoe-in for President.

But think of all the jobs lost at foot-odor-spray companies!

Steve Z on September 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Ten years after an idiotic Muslim terrorist tried to blow up a plane with a bomb hidden in his shoes, Homeland Security is finally catching on that the problem might not be the shoes.

Jim Treacher on September 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Jim Treacher on September 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM

After the underwear bomber, I’m still confused why we don’t have to take off our underwear.

strictnein on September 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Note to Janet Incompetano: I’ll believe it when I see it.

RebeccaH on September 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM

strictnein on September 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I’m convinced that’s exactly why we’ll soon not have to take off shoes. Risk assessment? No. They’re just tired of getting sarcastic, mocking letters asking your question.

inviolet on September 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Every time I go through security, I curse the name of Abdul Raheem.

Tzetzes on September 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Tzetzes on September 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

What, they don’t touch your junk, thanks to Omar Abdul Mutallab?

Phil-351 on September 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Before anyone bashes the new policy, why not see what it means to the average traveler? Here is a good representation of it’s impact upon the average traveler.

bloggless on September 6, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Darn the goes the value of Oder Eaters, because I won’t have to use them any more.

MSGTAS on September 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM