Open thread: The South Carolina GOP presidential forum

posted at 2:00 pm on September 5, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

This afternoon will see many of the 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls gathering at The American Principles Project Palmetto Freedom Forum in Columbia, South Carolina. Keep in mind that this is not a “debate” as such, but rather a discussion forum where the candidates will answer questions from their host, Senator Jim DeMint, along with Congressman Steve King (R – Iowa) and Dr. Robert George, founder of the American Principles Project.

Some of the faces on display will already be familiar to the national audience, including Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Ron Paul and even… Newt! Missing will be Rick Santorum, who did not receive an invitation along with everyone else who didn’t manage to break the 5% mark in any recent national polls. But the big surprise is the late breaking news that newly minted frontrunner Rick Perry will not be in attendance. The stated reason is that he’s heading back home to Texas to oversee relief efforts for the wildfires currently sweeping across his state.

The talking heads – having very little else to do on a holiday weekend – were all abuzz over the prospect of the rest of the field opening up the big guns on the Texas governor, but this is a fairly solid excuse for bowing out of the meeting. He’s running for President and this sort of disaster is the type of thing voters expect a chief executive to be on top of. Good decision? Will Romney and Bachmann go after him as hard as they might have if he wasn’t dashing home to handle a natural disaster?

It’s hard to say if this forum will change anything in the national polls. The last numbers out of Iowa are showing Perry at 29, with Bachmann grabbing 18, Mitt with 17 and Ron Paul at 14%. It’s still early enough in the process that it will mostly just be the media and the hard core political nerds paying attention at this point. (And let’s face it… if you’re spending your Labor Day reading Hot Air, you probably fall into one of those two categories.) But if nothing else, it will be a preview of what we can expect in the first real debate on Wednesday. Think of it as a shake down cruise.

The good folks at Town Hall are providing a live stream of the proceedings, along with analysis, and we’ll also provide that for you below. Feel free to critique the field as DeMint and company put them through their paces. The official kickoff time will be at 3 p.m. ET.

Update (AP): In case you’re near a TV, CNN will carry the forum live. Perry’s making a smart move here by skipping it to attend to the wildfires, and not merely because it shows his priorities are in the right order. As the southern “true conservative” in the field, South Carolina should be the easiest state for him to win notwithstanding Bachmann’s best efforts to earn an endorsement from Nikki Haley. He loses little by missing this and maybe gains some extra buzz for Wednesday’s Reagan Library debate, since that will now mark his true debut as a presidential candidate. And if Romney or Bachmann attacks him today in his absence, he gets a sneak preview of what’s coming at him on Wednesday so that he can prepare a response.

Update (AP): Some commenters are grumbling about Perry skipping the debate, although my hunch is that if he stayed and participated, they’d be grumbling that he didn’t rush home to help Texans instead. If you doubt the severity of these fires, which reached the suburbs of the state capital (but luckily are now advancing away from the city), read this and Dave’s post at Ace’s site. It’s zero percent contained as I write this. His aides tell CBS that he’ll be at the debate at the Reagan Library on Wednesday.

Stream videos at Ustream

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Elisa on September 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM

It seems their is a Perry cult. But just because a person supports Perry, that does not make them cultish. I support Perry and am not part of the cult…therefore, when someone talks about the Perry cult, I take no offense because I know they are not referring to me. There is a Palin cult also. I haven’t seen many acting nuts over Romney, but I’m sure there may be some whom are irrational when it comes to him.

csdeven on September 6, 2011 at 1:46 AM

tmontgomery on September 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM

We are in Montgomery County and can see & smell the smoke from the Magnolia area fires. I share your feelings about Governor Perry and his leadership. It does matter to Texans. My best to you and your family during this very difficult time. Praying for RAIN. RAIN. RAIN!

redwhiteblue on September 6, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I’m looking forward to the Perry-bashers switching effortlessly from “WHY IS HE RUNNING AWAY FROM THE DEBATE?!” to “WHY DIDN’T HE FLY HOME LAST NIGHT TO DEAL WITH THE FIRES?! DOESN’T HE CARE?!” Over/under is within the first 50 comments of this thread.

Allahpundit on September 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Have you ever posted such a comment on ANY other thread regarding candidates?…If not, why not?

Gohawgs on September 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Gohawgs on September 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

He was just heading off promachus, fossten, idesign, and unseen. They’re always starting ^&*( w/ him about his ‘anti-Palin bias’. They’re full of crap.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 6, 2011 at 2:40 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 6, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Go back and look. There was several Mitt supporters jumping on Perry…

And, he does have an anti-Palin bias. As does his big toe, ACE…

Gohawgs on September 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Gohawgs on September 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM

As I’ve said many times to them-if this blog is so bad, no one is keeping you here.
I LIKE AP (I was a commentor on his old blog).
I dislike constantly whining Palinistas.
Want a blog that worships Palin? go to C4P…or start your own.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I figure we need to follow the mountian lion strategy and make ourselves appear to be even bigger than we actually are. And besides, it is just more fun that way. Hee, Hee, Hee!

wren on September 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I like that:-) I’ve called or faxed the District Offices only when the D.C. phones were shut off(?) or the fax machines were shut off(?)on purpose?:-) but never contacted the staff#’s.

Josh is quite the worker bee. He’s running against Sen. Brown now and raising a lot of money. I hope he’s successful! The # of doors he knocked on for his race for State Treasurer was amazing.

Yes it is good to be part of a Team working in various ways. I like calling directly and talking to persuade people; perhaps because I’m a people person:-) I ran a bot off my porch last year, Ha-Ha. That was fun too, LOL Not literally, he left on his own since he wasn’t able to refute my reasoning. He was promoting Obamacare. When I told him ok fine, you can pay for yours and mine! Now he didn’t like that so he left:-)

I like this site for Congress info:

Thanks,

bluefox on September 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

The bastrop fire is 16 miles long and 4 mile wide. The Spicewood fire is 5 miles long and 2 miles wide. We are strained on resources, and the wind and drought brought ….
after Gov Perry came back to the State, the information started flowing, and whether the news was good or bad, the people finally got some relief from not knowing anything.

tmontgomery on September 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM

God Bless you and yours and all in that line of fire. Most people cannot imagine what you and others are going thru. 16 miles long and 4 miles wide. Terrifying just thinking about it!

The important thing is to have a Leader and Texas is where Gov. Perry belongs at this time. People won’t die just because he didn’t attend the debate. But more lives may be lost if he is not there to provide the leadership that is needed; just the same as a ship without it’s Captain.

Don’t give a moments thot to the criticizm you read nor hear. Many people are praying for Texas.

Praying for a miracle!!

bluefox on September 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

bluefox on September 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Good morning bluefox,

Thank you for the link to CongressMerge. I was not aware of that site. I particularly like its links to the Congressional Calendars. I like to follow their Calendar so I know when to call my Representative and Senators to encourage them to have a local Town Hall Meeting. Alas, my Congressional Rep hasn’t had a Town Hall meeting for several years, but I still think it is important to call her office to remind her (and the young intern who answers the phone) that her constituents are aware that she prefers not to meet with us.

Good for you for educating the Obamabot on your porch! Logic and reasoning are very effective tools for scaring them off. :-) We have to keep up our battle on the health care issue if there is going to be any hope of getting Obama Care repealed before it does too much more damage. Let’s hope your bot returned to Obama HQ and shared the education you gave him with the other bots in the colony. Even if he shared the info out of his own frustration, it might have caused some others to think twice.

Good to know Josh Mandel is working hard on his campaign for Senate in Ohio and he is getting a relatively early start! With the various campaigns I have volunteered for in the past, I have found that the work you do early, is the work that has the most impact. Influencing people early, gives the influencees more time to influence others who can then influence even more people.

Here are a couple of my favorite web sites that you may want to add to your list if you think they would be useful to you.

“On the Issues” is a great site that provides a wealth of info on both State and Federal Office Holders

And the Conservative USA Giant Email Links Page provides contact information for Elected Representatives and the Media. Be sure to scroll down to see the full list.

Keep up all of your good work! We have important battles to win in 2012!

wren on September 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM

And, he does have an anti-Palin bias. As does his big toe, ACE…

Gohawgs on September 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM

That is your impression. Allah has an anti-ignorance bias.

csdeven on September 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM

That is your impression. Allah has an anti-ignorance bias.

csdeven on September 6, 2011 at 2:31 P

You are in the delusional wing of St Allah the Victimized Congregation and your Grammy lives in your head rent free.

Geochelone on September 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on September 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I thought dissent was Patriotic, alt? I can praise or I can complain, it’s the American way…If you don’t like it, you have the option of spending more time on your newly created blog…

Gohawgs on September 7, 2011 at 4:10 AM

csdeven on September 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Not when he posts stories that are known to be incorrect, contradict other stuff he, Ed and/or Tina have written…

Gohawgs on September 7, 2011 at 4:13 AM