Issa, Grassley make good on promise to expand “Fast & Furious” investigation

posted at 9:00 pm on September 1, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Almost immediately after the Justice Department announced a shake-up of the officials who oversaw ATF’s ill-begotten “Operation Fast and Furious,” Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) signaled they wouldn’t let the reassignment of acting ATF director Kenneth Melson slow down their investigation of the questionable program.

Two days later, they’ve already made good on that promise. Today, they sent a letter to Ann Scheel, the acting attorney general in Phoenix, basically putting the Arizona district office on notice and demanding e-mails, memos, notes and other documents from six top officials, including Scheel and ousted former U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke.

“The level of involvement of the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona in the genesis and implementation of this case is striking,” the letter states. It continues:

Operation Fast and Furious was a prosecutor-led Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) Strike Force case. The congressional investigation has revealed that your office, and specifically Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) Emory Hurley, played an integral role in the day-to-day, tactical management of the case. In fact, Mr. Hurley served as a prosecutor on this case until very recently.

Witnesses have reported that AUSA Hurley may have stifled ATF agents’ attempts to interdict weapons on numerous occasions. Many ATF agents working on Operation Fast and Furious were under the impression that even some of the most basic law enforcement techniques typically used to interdict weapons required the explicit approval of your office, specifically from AUSA Hurley. It is our understanding that this approval was withheld on numerous occasions. It is unclear why all available tools, such as civil forfeitures and seizure warrants, were not used in this case to prevent illegally purchased guns from being trafficked to Mexican drug cartels and other criminals. We have further been informed that AUSA Hurley improperly instructed ATF agents that they needed to meet unnecessarily strict evidentiary standards merely in order to temporarily detain or speak with suspects.

It is essential for Congress to fully understand your office’s role in Operation Fast and Furious. … In addition, it is imperative that the Committee have an opportunity to discuss the facts above with individuals in your office who are familiar with the details of this operation. It is not our intention to second guess day-to-day decisions of your staff, but rather to make sense of them. The Attorney General has said that “letting guns walk is not something that is acceptable.  … We cannot have a situation where guns are allowed to walk, and I’ve made that clear to the United States Attorneys as well as the agents in charge of various ATF offices.” Operation Fast and Furious is unique in that guns were allowed to walk with the apparent knowledge of, and authorization by, officials in your office.

Whew! That letter should make it perfectly clear. If AG Eric Holder seriously thought shuffling the players would shush the investigation, he should think again. Issa and Grassley won’t let up until they understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to allow straw purchasers to buy illegal weapons, knowing full well that the weapons would end up in the hands of Mexican drug lords and that ATF’s ability to track the weapons would be minimal-to-nonexistent. That AUSA Hurley apparently made it unnecessarily difficult for ATF officials who tried to interdict the weapons to do that job is even more mystifying and rightly investigated at greater length. Go Team Issa-Grassley, go!

Comments

Well, thank goodness. I was worried that the Eeyores were right about this getting swept under the carpet.

piglet on September 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

What did the President know, and when did he know it ?

teacherman on September 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Yawn, unimpressed with the GOP big talkers.

PappyD61 on September 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Stick with it Issa!

bernzright777 on September 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Oh wow! So glad to hear of that! Go Team Issa-Grassley, go!

tinkerthinker on September 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Awesome. Don’t let it go.
Nail the bastards.

carbon_footprint on September 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM

We need this to blossom.

GaltBlvnAtty on September 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

It’s only mystifying if you take them at the word as to the objective of the operation.

flyfisher on September 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Go Team Issa-Grassley, go!

cmsinaz on September 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Strike while the iron is hot. This was an EPIC FAILURE and any repub doing the same would have had calls for his impeachment.

David in ATL on September 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM

We need this to blossom.

GaltBlvnAtty on September 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Next year, preferably going into September. Yes, it seems like a long time, but I think Issa and Grassley are carefuly putting together the case piece by piece, so Holder can’t wiggle out.

I hope the GOP nominee makes a campaign issue of Holder and the need for a special prosecutor. Obama having to cut Holder loose would upset his base.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again….

Eric Holder in an orange jumpsuit. Nothing less.

CurtZHP on September 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

As the Green Room post notes, CBS is actually picking up on this (well, Katie Couric is gone, so maybe Scott Pelley cares about the news or something).

I like to watch the lefty Democracy Now1 show on Pacifica public television. They actually had something, too, although it was slanted to the evil US guns going to Mexico, it also focused on the ATF letting evil US guns go to Mexico.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I just got my second political poll phone call is as many days. I think the Dems are getting nervous and Issa and Grassley can not let this die.
This is indicative of the whole reason people are so disgusted with government. You’ve got it all in this one scandal.
Go get them.
I can put up with my utter disgust with my government if these guys get nailed on Fast and Furious.

ORconservative on September 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Umm you were not supposed to pay attention until after this administration adopted the U.N. Small Arms Treaty gutting the Second Amendment!! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

shov74 on September 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again….

Eric Holder in an orange jumpsuit. Nothing less.

CurtZHP on September 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I’d guess Obama gives Holder a blanket partdon on January 19, 2013 or thereabouts.

But I would like to see Holder in a jumpsuit, or at least disbarred.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I’d prefer to see an extradition warrant to Mexico approved by President Perry/Palin/GOP on 21 Jan 2013, allowing Mexican officials to detain Holder (at least).
Let him enjoy his detention in a Mexican facility!

either orr on September 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Eric Holder in an orange jumpsuit. Nothing less.

CurtZHP on September 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I’m fairly cynical and jaded, but I have to admit to being astonished that we can have such a criminally corrupt United States Attorney General, and no one seems to care. It simply amazes me. If President Generic Republican doesn’t fire every single attorney at DOJ the first day on the job in 2013, I am going to be very disappointed. That department is a RICO case just waiting to happen. Every single one of them needs to go. Every. Single. One. And they should be walked out by U.S. marshals with nothing but the clothes on their backs so that whatever evidence remains of their relentless criminal wrong doing can be preserved form future prosecutions.

Rational Thought on September 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Issa and Grassley won’t let up until they understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to allow straw purchasers to buy illegal weapons, knowing full well that the weapons would end up in the hands of Mexican drug lords and that ATF’s ability to track the weapons would be minimal-to-nonexistent.

I’m not a high-speed investigator or member of a congressional committee or anything, but I’m not mystified. I know why; rather, I can make a guess that is probably right regarding the motivations of the BATF and Justice Department, et al.

For months/years Obama Administration officials have been quoting a magical 90% number when referring to the firearms crossing the border into Mexico and arming the cartels, as in ’90% of the weapons used by the drug cartels come from the United States.’ This figure was used to support the idea that greater gun controls were necessary and right, and besides, who could argue against cutting off the weapons supply to mass-murdering drug dealers? The problem? This 90% they kept invoking wasn’t true. It was never true–at least, not until the United States government more or less started allowing/encouraging/facilitating spurious straw purchases in gun shops along the border.

The intent was never to track the flow of these weapons to the cartels. The intent was to make true the magical 90% number. The deaths of dozens of Mexican nationals and a US Border Patrol agent weren’t the unfortunate result of a plan gone somehow awry. The deaths of all these people were a talking point in a bigger argument.

Holder knew, of course. For the sake of plausible deniability, I’m fairly sure the President didn’t know; that is, I doubt he was officially briefed on the true purpose of the Gunwalker program, just as Nixon was never told about plans to break into the Watergate hotel. Nixon’s crime was authorizing the cover-up and the Mitchell payoff to the burglars after the fact.

So yeah, let’s see what Holder and the President do next. Color me curious.

troyriser_gopftw on September 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Something tells me there is more to this, and they’re just biding their time. Holder bringing Messner closer to him, and “shuffling” perhaps was a signal to Issa, and Grassley? Maybe that’s what they were waiting for. Holder to make a move. Any move. Try to feel out how he plans to play this out. I really do get the sense they know more though, and are just waiting for the right time to bring it out.

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again….

Eric Holder in an orange jumpsuit. Nothing less.

CurtZHP on September 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

The rubber shoes too.

NeoKong on September 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Those progs come up with such cool names for their plots to destroy the Second Amendment.

slickwillie2001 on September 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Holder wants to know what Melson told Issa and Grassley in his private interview. Melson took his personal attorney with him, not a DOJ attorney. Looks like Melson isn’t talking to DOJ, and unwilling to be the fall guy.

Holder has asked for this interview information, because there is supposedly an investigation being done by the DOJ Inspector General. Issa and Grassley responded by saying they’d be willing to discuss turning info over to the IG’s office, but they saw no reason why it should go over through Holder’s office.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM

DIG.

artist on September 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Who prosecutes a criminal DOJ?

Lon Chaney on September 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Looks like a “third rate” anti gun botched PR plan that was killed by a whistleblower, to me.

We need an accurate accounting of ALL the deaths caused by this crime anywhere in the world not just here.

golfmann on September 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM

DIG.

artist on September 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

nuff said

cmsinaz on September 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM

What did the President know, and when did he know it ?

teacherman on September 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Precisely the question I want answered!

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again….

Eric Holder in an orange jumpsuit. Nothing less.

CurtZHP on September 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

…and his little (as in petty) boss too!

Vntnrse on September 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM

But where does this end up going? What will be the payoff. A shrug?

kurtzz3 on September 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM

either orr on September 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

OMG…sweet, sweet image…

Eren on September 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM

But where does this end up going? What will be the payoff. A shrug?

kurtzz3 on September 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM

A Holder resignation before the election. An Obama reduced to another “This isn’t the man I knew” excuse as he throws Holder under the bus after praising him for four years.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM

First and foremost, this was not a sting operation gone wrong. There is no way to advance any prosecution by letting guns walk. The avowed purpose of the op is a non-sequitar, just plain nonsense. There were other purposes behind this op, and it is those purposes that Holder and Obama are desperate to conceal.

Second, I have said repeatedly that far more attention should be given to the roles played by US Attorney Dennis Burke and his assistant, Emory Hurley. Holder did an end run around BATFE management by putting the agents directly under Burke and Hurley’s supervision. This was effectively a DOJ op, not a BATFE op. And since we know other agencies within the DOJ were involved (FBI,DEA), and also Homeland Security (ICE, Border Patrol) it is obvious that both Holder and Napolitano are involved.

But Burke is the lynchpin. As the DOJ guy at the point of the spear, he had to know the real goals and who is involved. During his interview with the congressional investigators last week he reportedly became “physically ill” and unable to complete the questioning. Now he has resigned.

Issa is getting closer and closer to breaking this mess wide open. Personally, I think it goes straight to the White House, and I can’t wait.

novaculus on September 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM

You’d think with a scandal this Fast and this Furious that the media would be covering it…

… Oh wait, it’s a Democratic administration.. Never mind.

Chip on September 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

troyriser_gopftw on September 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I agree with everything you’ve posted, but I do have to disagree on Obama’s knowledge of this. I am in firm belief, that Obama not only knew, but gave the go ahead. It’s no secret he was for strict gun controls in this country…and I don’t think Holder makes a move, without his approval.

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Compare Albert Gonzalez to Eric Holder.

You tell me the difference

BobMbx on September 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Burke is the lynchpin.

I forgot to mention, Burke was Napolitano’s Chief of Staff when she was governor, and a senior aide to her at HS until he was appointed US Attorney Phoenix. Until this mess became public knowledge, he was considered a likely candidate for governor in Arizona.

novaculus on September 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Agree. That means the idiot Holder can’t go under the bus, because if he says little Bammie gave the okay, people will believe Holder. Even better if he has proof.

Holder may have other Ace cards on little Bammie, on anything from Rezko/Blago to Fannie and Freddie corruption.

slickwillie2001 on September 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Compare Albert Gonzalez to Eric Holder.

You tell me the difference

BobMbx on September 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Gonzalez may have appeared incompetent, but Holder is corrupt.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Strongly worded letters, pshaw! Where are the subpoenas? Where are the indictments?

cthulhu on September 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Update on Operation Fast and Fretless:

The secret program came to light early this morning in the border town of Nogales, Arizona, after what was described as a wild battle of the bands between members of the Sinaloa cartel and Los Zetas, two of Mexico’s most notorious violent drug gangs.

“Usually these guys are armed with Mexican Strats and Squires, Epiphones, small caliber stuff like that,” said Pedro Ochoa, 36, an eye witness to the sonic melee. “This time they were packing the heavy firepower.”

The steady barrage of power chords and piercing solo attacks attracted the attention of nearby U.S. Border Patrol agents, who arrived at the scene just as Los Zetas broke into Led Zeppelin’s ‘Immigrant Song.’ By the time the dust had cleared, U.S. Border Patrol Agent Oscar Jimenez was found in a catatonic state of headbanging. He was later flown to University of Arizona Hospitals, where his condition is listed as seriously rawked.

Christien on September 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I bet he has some Ayers dirt on him.

fossten on September 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

If you haven’t already, there’s a piece on this, in the Green Room. Here’s a link http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2011/08/gunwalker-heard-about-city-officials-in.html that was below…that is connected to this story.

This just gets bigger, and bigger, and far worse than I’d first imagined.

Now I have to wonder why. I don’t think this is just about gun control. They are arming these drug cartels. Gun control is one thing, but it seems they are arming, and possibly training them. If so…for what purpose? This just doesn’t set well with me, and has me extremely worried.

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Can someone please tell me what power a congressional investigation has to actually do anything once they have an iron clad case? I’m serious. What’s the next step?

From what I’ve seen, the only influence these investigations have is to expose corruption, and this only if the media picks it up.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad Issa and Grassley are doggedly pursuing this, but to what end is my question.

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

If Issa can’t do it due to political pressure, Andrew will do it.

Holder is placing his bet.

I’ll place my bet on Brietbart; he is a free man.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Political handcuffs.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Being a straw purchaser is already sufficient to receive a denial on a NICS check.

Anyone who promoted straw purchasing should be tried for violating the federal law related to being a straw purchaser.

knob on September 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

What happened during Watergate?

fossten on September 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

This just gets bigger, and bigger, and far worse than I’d first imagined.

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

That’s what I’ve been saying for weeks and people here keep telling me I’m wrong. But I just don’t believe that sending military grade weaponry to Mexican drug cartels furthers their gun control agenda. I could make the case that it makes gun control even harder to achieve. After all those weapons are not available to Americans without special permission from the federal government. You sure can’t get them at gun shows or the Wal-Mart sporting goods section.

I believe gun control was a motivation, but if they just wanted to bust illegal gun trafficing they would have actually taken steps to track guns, but they did NOTHING. They just let the guns walk across the border without telling anyone in Mexico, including our own ATF agents.

For that reason I fear there was (is?) something even more sinister going on than a Machiavellian gun control scheme. I keep wondering if there elements within the federal government that want to destablize Mexico (and maybe Central American countries, too). Maybe something else entirely.

flyfisher on September 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Most transparent below-the-radar op ever. Just not intentionally so.

Kenosha Kid on September 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM

1. Why hasn’t Issa filed contempt of court charges against the DOJ for sending him page after page of nothing but redacted material in response to subpoena?

2. With Melson now serving as the chief oversight legal dog on legalities of all DOJ projects, doesn’t that effectively place him in an attorney-client relationship with the DOJ and shut his mouth?

a capella on September 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM

flyfisher on September 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Sheesh! Trafficing should have been trafficking.

flyfisher on September 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM

We know the answer to this one: It was so that the Obama administration could come up with a false statistic of US guns ‘flowing’ to Mexican drug lords allowing them to use it to make more anti-gun laws. But let’s make it official.

scrubjay on September 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

This is not a failed project.

This was and still is a carefully calculated political operation designed to impose severe gun control in the U.S. The Mexicans are just a tool and their deaths are just collateral damage.

This is already too big for the MSM to hide, so they are going to work the failed meme overtime.

But we have to start highlighting the activities of Team Obama to overthrow the government of the United States, so that even the dummies understand and it’s no longer hidden.

This isn’t the only criminal act from those guys, and it won’t be the last. And if we don’t stop it soon we may not be able to stop it, ever!

CrazyGene on September 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

scrubjay on September 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

As some are saying, there was more to it than that.

Stayright on September 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Standard Disclaimer!

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM
flyfisher on September 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Initially I thought it was about creating a “crisis” to be exploited to support more gun control and to build support for signing on the the proposed UN international bans on civilian gun ownership. But his mess is way too big for just that. It involves too many agencies, too many people, too many guns.

It appears that someone wanted to arm the Sinaloa gang and support them in their ongoing war with Los Zetas. The CIA is hot for Los Zetas, because its membership is mostly ex-Mex Special Forces and Army, some CIA trained, and because Los Zetas is largely armed with stolen US military grade weaponry sold to Mexico. Is the CIA behind a war by proxy against Los Zetas? You can see where some political types would see how this op could serve multiple purposes, and the BATFE is well known for harboring some real cretins among its mostly decent and hard-working employees. The CIA would have the cover of a fake law enforcement scenario, and the political types would have their “crisis” to exploit. Add a couple of ambitious fools in the BATFE and idiots like US Attorney Burke and his assistant Hurley, and you’re in business.

One thing is certain, as I said above, this op isn’t a sting gone wrong. Issa and Grassely are doing a classic congressional investigation, working their way up through the ranks, not overplaying their hands, and peeling it back one layer at a time.

It is too big to keep under wraps, and eventually the truth, or at least the better part of it, is going to come out. I’m just praying that someone flips who can directly connect Obama to it. You know, like his national security adviser Kevin O’Reilly who knew exactly who to call (Newell, BATFE Phoenix SAC) to get the lowdown before briefing Obama for his trip to Mexico. But I’ll be amazed if this scandal doesn’t eventually bring down Holder and Napolitano, at least.

novaculus on September 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM

In fact, C-BS’s Sharyl Atkisson was the one who broker the story, way back in March of 2011. Do a C-BS search.

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM

You can see where some political types would see how this op could serve multiple purposes….

novaculus on September 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Rings true. Nothing this big ever happens for just one reason. There is a confluence of interests at play here.

Kenosha Kid on September 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Send Eric Holder out of D.C. Get him out of Justice. End this fiasco.

That’s my request of Darrell Issa and everyone who has any sense in Congress.

Lourdes on September 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Awesome. Don’t let it go.
Nail the bastards.

carbon_footprint on September 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I’d go one step farther: use a hammer.

Lourdes on September 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Kenosha Kid on September 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Good point. To move something this big, a number of actors with varied agendas have to see advantage to be gained.

The problem I’m having with it is how anyone could think they could do this for long and keep it quiet, or keep their fingerprints off of it. But you’ll never go broke underestimating the common sense, if not the intelligence, of politicians and bureaucrats.

novaculus on September 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Up next…

… another politcally motivated hit piece by the NY Times on Issa.

Don’t you just love a ‘Free and Independent Press’?

Seven Percent Solution on September 2, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I’m having a hard time seeing how this isn’t bigger than Watergate. It’s certainly a lot bigger than Iran-Contra.

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Eric Holder and Howard Sprague: Separated at birth?

curved space on September 2, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Unless Issa meets with some kind of “accident” I don’t see how this ends with anything but Holder taking full responsibility to try to salvage his beloved Barry. Whether that results in him being prosecuted and pardoned or pardoned to avoid prosecution, I can’t be sure. Something must be done to insure his silence. Would another plane crash be too obvious? DOJ is scrambling to cover Holder’s butt. The only question is how far they will go.

Extrafishy on September 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Exactly how many people died because of Watergate?

SKYFOX on September 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Articles of impeachment?

Trafalgar on September 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Why this doesn’t dominate the first 8 minutes of every news program every day is mind boggling.

Alden Pyle on September 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM

capejasmine on September 1, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Issa is the one that will cause WH/DOJ pants cr@pping. He is a tough businessman and took his company (Directed Electronics) to the top in a brutally competitive market. He is also streetwise. If anyone has the goods and is pushing it all the way, it’s Issa. He is the one to watch.

roy_batty on September 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Well, at least Scooter Libby’s off the streets.

Akzed on September 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM

William Amos just posted this new link on the zero employment headline thread:

White House received emails about Fast and Furious gun-trafficking operation

Note the names include Kevin O’Reilly, who I mentioned above:

Reporting from Washington—
Newly obtained emails show that the White House was better informed about a failed gun-tracking operation on the border with Mexico than was previously known.

Three White House national security officials were given some details about the operation, dubbed Fast and Furious…

The supervisor of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives operation in Phoenix specifically mentioned Fast and Furious in at least one email to a White House national security official, and two other White House colleagues were briefed on reports from the supervisor, according to White House emails and a senior administration official…

But the senior administration official said the emails, obtained Thursday by The Times, did not prove that anyone in the White House was aware of the covert “investigative tactics” of the operation…

He identified the three White House officials who were briefed as Kevin M. O’Reilly, director of North American Affairs for the White House national security staff; Dan Restrepo, the president’s senior Latin American advisor; and Greg Gatjanis, a White House national security official…

“…did not prove that anyone in the White House was aware of the covert “investigative tactics.”

Did not prove?

Note he doesn’t deny that anyone in the White House actually knew what was going on. The “senior administration official” only said the newly leaked e-mails don’t prove they knew.

Classic political parsing. And now we have two more names of Obama advisers in the White House who did know something.

novaculus on September 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Yawn, unimpressed with the GOP big talkers.

PappyD61 on September 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

And what would you do? You have to follow the process, a slow and deliberate process, one that allows some to perjure and once that happens, than “deals” are made.
Those “deals” create opportunity to indict politicians who separate themselves with layers of management.
Issa has handled this perfectly, remember, the White House won’t assist, and the Senate won’t assist, and the MSM won’t assist.

right2bright on September 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM

To have this explode six weeks before the election…

right2bright on September 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Watergate was internal affairs, this is international, along with that is murder of at least on American citizen, and their may be others killed.
There is no comparison, this could be the worse political disaster in the history of the U.S….the administration could be implicit in the killing of innocent people, while breaking national and international law.
This is so much bigger…

right2bright on September 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

novaculus on September 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

If they knew, sure as hell Obama knew!

capejasmine on September 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

CBS now reporting hard evidence of Burke and Hurley attempting to conceal the connection between Fast and Furious “walked” guns and Brain Terry’s murder:

Link to internal e-mails describing the effort:

Hurley knew almost immediately that 2 of the guns found at the murder scene were “walked”. He and Burke and the BATFE Phoenix supervisors then attempted to conceal the connection.

novaculus on September 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

right2bright on September 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I don’t understand the timing. Do Obama and Holder not realize that the longer they stonewall the closer to the election the inevitable revelations will be? If they could control the situation, they should want it to break now, so it can be forgotten by election time.

It may be that they are too scared to think straight. Or it could be that they know they can’t conceal the truth forever, and they are desperately trying to stall until after the election.

novaculus on September 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

This thread might be dead, but I noticed that Headlines has the Fox story, CBS is covering, and it is at the top of Google News links. So, has the decision been made by Journolisters that it would benefit Obama to get this story out of the way now rather than have it explode next summer?

piglet on September 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I like to watch the lefty Democracy Now1 show on Pacifica public television.

Wethal on September 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My God, man! And you retain your sanity? I’m impressed.

Shambhala on September 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

White House: “Start making room under the bus, boys. More incoming.”

RebeccaH on September 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

SoldiersMom on September 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM
What happened during Watergate?

fossten on September 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

A Republican President resigned. What happened during MonicaGate? Democrats, with few exceptions, don’t resign. They’re not held to the same standards by their constituents or the media.

This investigation is being swept under the rug by Zero’s lapdops in the media. Congressional investigations are toothless tigers. I won’t say nothing will come of this because I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, so forget you just read that.

We The People need a mechanism to ensure prosecution of political corruption at the highest level. Unless and until that happens, corruption will continue because there are no real consequences.

SoldiersMom on September 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM