Union board reverses ban on Republicans in parade

posted at 2:45 pm on August 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Lots of news came out of Wisconsin today, all of it bad for union activists.  First, as a momentary end to the drama in Wausau, the Marathon County Labor Council has reversed its decision to ban Republicans from the local Labor Day parade:

WSAW-TV  says [council president Randy] Radtke released a statement Wednesday which said the Labor Council didn’t want community groups and school bands affected, so Republicans will be allowed in the parade.

Well, they didn’t want to foot the bill for the parade, as Mayor Jim Tipple warned would happen yesterday if the MCLC turned it into a partisan event.  It’s only a temporary end to the controversy, though.  If Republicans like Rep. Sean Duffy do take part in the parade, you can bet your bottom dollar that protesters will disrupt it with high-profile hijinks in order to get on the local news.  Stay tuned on Monday for more on this story.

Meanwhile, WLUK reports again on the fact that Wisconsin taxpayers are saving millions of dollars this year, thanks to the law that prompted the ban in Wausau. In fact, the competition has not only saved money for taxpayers, it actually forced the union’s insurance company to reduce its prices to compete:

Districts save by changing health plans: fox11online.com

Months after the massive protests in Madison ended; school districts are starting to take advantage of their new found flexibility specifically when it comes to health care.

In the past, school boards and unions would have to agree on any changes in benefits. But now that public employee unions can no longer bargain on benefits, schools districts are changing their health insurance plans and saving taxpayers millions. …

The Appleton Area School District is staying with WEA Trust but is saving $3.1 million dollars.

I asked Superintendent Lee Allinger if that was something the district could have achieved without the changes or if the savings were a result of the changes.

“I think it’s a combination,” Allinger replied. “I think the marketplace has certainly become more competitive with bidding out the health care plan. It’s become more competitive. In our case, WEA Trust did not want to lose us as a client and they came in with a very competitive bid that was below the other bids we received.”

Isn’t it amazing what competition can do?  Funny how the WEA Trust never bothered to compete for clients when the union had school districts and governments in headlocks during negotiations.

Speaking of competition with the unions, Hot Air readers found themselves aghast by a video shot at Messmer Preparatory Catholic School last week when Walker paid a visit to the children, especially with one particular union protester.  Media Trackers decided to find the man who berated the female principal of the school with this thinly-veiled threat:

“I’m ashamed to have you in my neighborhood. I’m ashamed. Where do you live, by the way? Do you live here? Do you live in this neighborhood? Do you live in the suburbs and drive here for work? You don’t even live here, do you? I’ve got some advice for you: stay where you came from. We don’t want you here.”

They conclude that the man in question is, not surprisingly, a well-known left-wing activist:

Media Trackers is very confident that the individual seen threatening the principal of Messmer School in the MacIver Institute video is Brian Rothgery, a communications coordinator for the left-wing organization Citizen Action of Wisconsin.

Rothgery is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Rhetoric from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. According to his LinkedIn profile, Rothgery has worked for Citizen Action of Wisconsin since 2008 and previously worked as an organizer for the SEIU and the Graduates Assistant Association.

Last week, Rothgery was featured on a panel at the left-wing Democracy Convention in Madison where he spoke on the topic of “Messaging For the Movement to Maintain Public Education.”

It’s not the first controversy for Citizen Action of Wisconsin this month.  The state GOP filed a complaint alleging that CAW illegally coordinated with the campaign of a candidate in the recall elections:

Earlier on Monday, the Republican Party of Wisconsin filed a complaint with the GAB alleging illegal coordination between Citizen Action of Wisconsin and the campaign of Sandy Pasch (D-Millwaukee), Darling’s challenger.

The RPW complaint comes on the revelation by Media Trackers that Pasch sits on the board of directors of Citizen Action of Wisconsin.  The Republican Party asked the Government Accountability Board to conduct investigation into whether Sandy Pasch’s membership on the Board of Directors for Citizen Action of Wisconsin violated Section 11.06(7) of the Wisconsin statutes concerning illegal coordination between candidates and independent expenditure organizations.

CAW has been active in organizing for the recalls and get out the vote efforts across the state and has been making independent expenditures in support of Pasch and against Darling in recent days.

In what could be another indication of coordination between the various groups, theMacIver News Service discovered that the address and phone number for Wisconsin Jobs Now! and Citizen Action of Wisconsin are the same. Matthew Brusky is listed as the treasurer of Wisconsin Jobs Now.  A Matthew Brusky is also listed as the political director at Citizen Action of Wisconsin.

Isn’t it interesting how all the same players seem to be protecting unions from competition in all areas of Wisconsin?

Comments

watch out for tomatoes and eggs gop folk….

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Clay feet.

John the Libertarian on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Heh, that Mayor is bright. Wanted the unions to pay for the expenses, and voila!

…lefties are the “rational” ones, recall, you rubes.

Schadenfreude on August 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I don’t think I would take them up on their offer if I was a Republican…

sandee on August 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I’m pretty sure that degree translates into a Master of A$$hattery.

tcn on August 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I talk with even Conservative friends who sort of poo-poo my concerns about what unions are doing and what I believe they’re capable of. Is it just me? Or do these guy through word and action seem capable of anything?

Worried everytime I hear of these events.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

He applied to the “Women’s Studies” program but was deemed not butch enough.

SKYFOX on August 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Rothgery is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Liberal, Labor and Leftist Rhetoric from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Wonder what that degree cost?

Fallon on August 31, 2011 at 2:55 PM

For all the money the Unions Spent it wasnt to keep their ideas afloat it was fear that would prove that their ideas were bunk.

I never worried when Obama won in 2008. I knew he would be a failure. Democrats are afraid of Conservatives not because we might be wrong but because we might be right.

Kudos for Governer Walker for these successes.

William Amos on August 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I guess I wasn’t Machiavellian enough regarding the Wausau parade.

Steve Eggleston on August 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Wonder what that degree cost?

Fallon on August 31, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Apparently millions of dollars to the tax payers.

William Amos on August 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Just when you think you have about heard it all…..

el rey on August 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM

A masters in rhetoric? Is that a joke? That’s like getting a degree in basket weaving – only basket weaving is more practical.

Rothgery’s LinkedIn page shows the following:
Civic & Social Organization

Can you say community agitator?

Commies of the world unite!

VibrioCocci on August 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM

More info about our flaming overheated red head.

Fallon on August 31, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Any of my kids major in that, and do not plan on being a teacher, no help on paying for college.

WashJeff on August 31, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Rothgery has worked for Citizen Action of Wisconsin since 2008 and previously worked as an organizer for the SEIU and the Graduates Assistant Association.

I predict a bright future for this guy. He could even grow up to be president.

el rey on August 31, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Master of Rhetoric was upgraded from Bachelor of Bulls**t. Makes one wonder what his Doctoral thesis will be.

Goooood grief.

herm2416 on August 31, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Wow hawkdriver, thats scary that your friends can’t see thru the unions or do not want to see it

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM

He received his M.A. in Communication from UW-Milwaukee in May of 2008, where he studied rhetoric.

Well, I guess that degree is good for knowing how to harass black children.

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Graduates Assistant Association…

Here are the people doing half the teaching at the 4 year socialist camps people spend so much money to attend.

forest on August 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Out of curiosity I searched for “Masters in Community Organizing” to see if any schools actually offered a program.

Not surprisingly, the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, does offer it.

From the program overview (emphasis mine):

The two-year, thirty-credit program gives students strong theoretical foundations and practical experiences in community organizing, with particular emphasis on:

Political and structural power analysis
Cross-cultural communication skills
Popular education techniques
Race, class, and gender dynamics
Urban dynamics
Leadership skills

VibrioCocci on August 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

To get the degree he had to prove he could berate without stopping to think for at least three hours.

amazingmets on August 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Rothgery is just another no class liberal punk bullying someone who is in a position of authority who cannot defend themselves. To respond to human trash like Rothgery would definitely be beneath her status as principal of the school that has done such wonderful things for their students. The principal was right to allow this piece of garbage to expose himself for being just that.

volsense on August 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM

He applied to the “Women’s Studies” program but was deemed not butch enough.

SKYFOX on August 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM

You ain’t never lied there. When I lived in Durham, those womyn scurred me. They make Janet Napolitano look like Snow White.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM

So, the tightwads wouldn’t put their money where their mouth is.

Figures.

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 3:14 PM

forest on August 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Likes

.Socialist Worker.Wisconsin State AFL-CIO.WI Public Employees Against Walker’s Attack on Workers Rights.Citizen Action of Wisconsin.Repairers of the Breach.

And I really thought I’d see things like Engineering societies, Computer Science Institutes, Business roundtables, ect.

NOT

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 3:15 PM

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Not that they aren’t bad for jobs, the economy etc. I think most Conservatives think that. When I say I’m worried they’ll knock some heads in, they just don’t talk like they think they’re capable of violence.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Masters in Rhetoric

More commonly known as Bullsh1t Artist.

RadClown on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I raised an eyebrow as well. The f**k? Seems to me the only thing he’s a master at is trying to intimidate people, but ultimately coming off as a fruit.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Quick research reveals he’s from the suburbs of…Chicago.

amazingmets on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

We don’t want you here.”

Hmmmmm…..I can remember people screaming that at Black students during the Civil Rights Era.

GarandFan on August 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM

how about his Phone number so we all can engage in some meaningful dialogue with him 24/7?????

SDarchitect on August 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I’m sure the parade will be the kind of distinguished and respectful affair Big Labor is known for.

RadClown on August 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I don’t think I would take them up on their offer if I was a Republican…

sandee on August 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Not to worry…remember Animal House? All they got to do is build a nifty vehicle like in the movie and have fun! What could go wrong?

/Sarc

JohnnyD on August 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Worried everytime I hear of these events.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM

It isn’t just you, hawk. I so want to see one of these obnoxious punks push the wrong guy too far, who punches him so hard his grandkids are born dizzy.

Patrick S on August 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM

How many times can Wisconsin unions fail in six months? Are they going for a record or something?

amerpundit on August 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I didn’t even know that was a course let alone a degree program.

mizflame98 on August 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM

/Sarc

JohnnyD on August 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Make sure it says “Eat Me” down the side of it.

mizflame98 on August 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Masters in Rhetoric???

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

A fool and his money…..

Then again, he probably got a taxpayer funded grant.

CurtZHP on August 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM

He was awesome in that Skittles commercial.

rogerb on August 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM

This skinny little pr!ck is intimidating?

Lanceman on August 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Rothgery is exactly like Radtke running their mouths suggesting an authority that just doesn’t exist. Radtke bans GOP from the parade, the mayor says put up or shut up,Radtke folds like a cheap suit. Rothgery would do the same thing if the situation was his. Thats why they cannot win on the truth, but will still try to force their wills on the majority to no avail.

volsense on August 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I posted the wrong party a minute ago.

Tangerinesong on August 31, 2011 at 3:43 PM

This child Brian [deleted] lives at [deleted]. No kidding, young Brian lives in his folks, [deleted]’s basement.

Tangerinesong on August 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM

What did you expect with a Masters degree in Rhetoric, a job?

mizflame98 on August 31, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Clean up at 3:38 and 3:45, please.

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM

He was awesome in that Skittles commercial.

rogerb on August 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Thread winner!

should…not…laugh…so…hard…in…cube…

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM

What is the argument for public unions to shake down Wisconsin tax payer’s again?

I get unions protesting large corporations, but protesting ” tax payers” because they can’t afford to feather the public worker’s nest anymore? What’s their argument – their hero FDR was wrong?

Dr Evil on August 31, 2011 at 3:52 PM

This mastery of argumentation can only be achieved by someone with an advanced degree in Rhetoric.

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 3:52 PM

What could I possible add to the link title? :-)

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Surprise, surprise…the b**ch of the month link went into moderation.

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Masters in Rhetoric

I want to see his degree thesis.

Socratease on August 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Any GOP in attendance had better be wary of being Wellstoned.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Turn on the lights and all the cockroaches scatter.

Socratease on August 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM

This child Brian M. Roediger lives at (cleaned up). No kidding, young Brian lives in his folks, Curt and Sherill Roediger’s basement.

Tangerinesong on August 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Let me help.

Court cases for the win!

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Wonder what that degree cost?

Fallon on August 31, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Well, I don’t know what it cost, but I think we all know what it’s worth . . .

BigAlSouth on August 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Examine this and this. No doubt this is Mr. Rothgery.
Add this quote from LinkedIn:

It’s an honor that right-wing lunatics have taken a great interest in me of late. Their howls of derision are clear evidence of my effectiveness.

The man’s got an overinflated sense of his own importance, to be sure. And, if Milwaukee police had any sense of justice, they’d be calling on him in reference to the jamming of the entrances as Messmer.

either orr on August 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Typo alert: … entrances AT Messmer.

either orr on August 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I couldn’t be bothered trying to find out who this nancyboy is. Why do I care that some twit who probably wet the bed, got beat up, honey dipped and shoved into lockers until he was twenty was now trying to bully people “intellectually”. He has no job so he made on up for himself and gave it a “jazzy” name so he and his outcast friends might have something to do other than play nintendo. News flash, junior, you may want to be the next “don’t taz me bro” youtube sensation but that dog don’t hunt.

Lincoln was the great uniter, Obama the great divider. Let’s split the country, these liberal weenie chimps on one side and real hard working dedicated, helpful, cooperative, compassionate people on the other. After six months let’s see which border people are trying to cross.

PatriotPete on August 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM

VibrioCocci on August 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM

A lot of the football players at Iowa State were majoring in Leisure Studies. No lie. Maybe that’s one reason the Big 12 is going to hell.

a capella on August 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Hey, I gots me a “Rhetorical Question.” If he lives in the “same neighborhood” as Messmer Preparatory Catholic School, then why does Google say his residence (4805 26th Ave., Kenosha, WI 53140-5828) is 40.5 miles from the school where he was protesting?

BigAlSouth on August 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM

watch out for tomatoes and eggs gop folk….

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 2:47 PM

… and use the buddy system (i.e. don’t go to the parade alone) and make sure your group has more than one video camera, so you can be filming with the second one while the union goons are smashing the first one.

/not kidding – wish I were

Mary in LA on August 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM

BigAlSouth on August 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Does google say that is his address, or are you going off Tangerinesong’s post?

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

either orr on August 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Check out his profile pic on Facebook. An armored thug wearing a riot mask and wielding a pipe. How appropriate.

UltimateBob on August 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM

BigAlSouth on August 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM

My post at 4:03 has his address, as this particular child is party to quite a few court cases, it seems.

For craps & giggles, the google the address and see where he lives. That particular degree looks to lead to a salary on line with the fry cook at McDonalds.

MNHawk on August 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Check out the hilarious bio of him on “Democracy Convention”:

“Brian is an expert in persuasive communication, with many years of experience in in union and community organizing, and an M.A. in communication from UW-Milwaukee, where he studied political speech and social movement rhetoric. For the past three years Brian has worked at Citizen Action of Wisconsin and led organizing efforts on various statewide and local issue campaigns. He currently leads an effort to develop a shared, values-based messaging strategy among a statewide network of non-profit, non-partisan advocacy groups through Wisconsin Voices.”

I guess it takes grad school in Wisconsin to learn the fine, persuasive art of harassing and threatening a woman while backed by a union mob. What a POS.

Django on August 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

“I want you to argue with them and get in their face.”

- President Barack H. Obama

Lest we forget.

rogerb on August 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

O, thank you, thank you massa!! I couldn’t live without being in your parade!

Actually, FU and your #$%%^* parade

Eren on August 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Django on August 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Wow. It’s really sad if you think about it for a moment. Not that it would ever happen, but what if he wakes up one morning and realizes that his lifetime of left wing indoctrination is all based on lies and that he wasted all those years and money getting useless degrees in it? If he was sane to begin with, he would probably go insane at the thought, seriously.

Very, very sad. Luckily for him, he’s too stupid to ever realize that he has been playing the part of a useful idiot his whole life.

UltimateBob on August 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

A Masters in Rhetoric??

R U kidding me? Sounds like he has a few PhDs in BS as well.

AJStrata on August 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Speaking of Wisconsin, there are still some great discussions going on over at Althouse’s blog about last week’s report clearing Justice Prosser.

There are a couple of bitter Leftist thugs commenting who simply can’t face the truth. It’s fascinating entertainment!

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM

A Masters in Rhetoric??

R U kidding me? Sounds like he has a few PhDs in BS as well.

AJStrata on August 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Here in New Hampshire we know all about those.

BS? Any farmer here can tell you what that means.

MS? More of the Same.

PhD? Piled High and Deep.

BTW Debbie What’shername Schultz got a Master of Arts with certificate in political campaigning.

In other words, she got a Masters in vote stealing.

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM

“In our case, WEA Trust did not want to lose us as a client and they came in with a very competitive bid that was below the other bids we received.”

Hmm. Why do I smell a rat?

unclesmrgol on August 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Masters in Rhetoric? Is that like a degree is BS? How Democrat.

pat on August 31, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I don’t see why the priciple and parents don’t get an injunction against these union goons for future protests on the grounds it is very detrimental to the children. I mean those little kids reminded me of kids in Alabama who had their school bombed!!! I would like to have been there when Ginger Boy snapped!

sonnyspats1 on August 31, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Masters in Rhetoric

Any wonder the cost of higher education is so out of control? There is probably a doctor of rhetoric to teach this stuff who makes $175,000 a year and goes on sabbatical to have members of other cultures blow smoke up his butt.

peacenprosperity on August 31, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Tangerinesong’s post?

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yes. I can’t say that I know where he lives cause I’ve been over at his basement abode with him makin protest signs and stuff . . .

BigAlSouth on August 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM

CAW — Communists Against Wisconsin?

Seems more truthful

AZfederalist on August 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

That weasel’s LinkedIn profile if freakin’ hilarious, rofl. What a pathetic twit.

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Master’s in Rhetoric? And that’s the best he could offer up in that video, eh?

LOLOLOL, wow. No wonder he’s bitter at what a waste his life is. That an undoubtedly a private part the size of a baby carrot.

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Apparently he dislikes people from out of town so much that he gets all rhetoricky on them–unless they came in on a bus from Chicago.

rwenger43 on August 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Master’s in Rhetoric

He had to get a Master’s degree…otherwise he would have ended up with a B.S. in B.S.!!!

What a great degree program!! No need to interrupt college partying for study sessions: you actually get credit for making it up on the fly!!

And this degree opens the door to exciting careers such as “anonymous state department source” and “North Korean Representative to the UN.”

LOL

landlines on September 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Only after the Mayor told them that they would have to pay for the parade if they were going to discriminate against the Republicans.

old war horse on September 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM