Too bad to check: Lucas now adding painfully cheesy edits to “Return of the Jedi” too

posted at 5:35 pm on August 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

So help me, I saw this clip last night at Ain’t It Cool and then this post by a guy who said he’d confirmed that it’s a real, honest-to-goodness new edit added to the Blu-Ray version of ROTJ — but I didn’t post it because I simply couldn’t believe it. Granted, Lucas is the man responsible for the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks. And yeah, he’s proved that he’s willing to urinate on his earlier masterpieces by re-editing the Han/Greedo scene in a way that literally everyone in the world except him thought was terrible. But surely he must retain some basic sense of what made his classics classic. In fact, there was good reason to believe this was a hoax: The Darth Vader “nooooooo” scene from “Revenge of the Sith” was itself so famously cringe-inducing that it’s been a running joke on the ‘Net since the day the film came out. Lucas must know that, no? Even if his filmmaking instincts are now so demented that he looked at this scene with Vader and the Emperor and thought, “This could use a few ‘noooos,’” the fact that people have been laughing at the same scene in “Sith” for years surely would have given him pause.

But … noooo:

Previously, it was reported that the version of “Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace” included in this release would replace the puppet version of the Yoda character with a computer-generated creation. Then on Tuesday, an online report by Devin Faraci suggested a revelation almost as troubling as the news that Luke and Leia had been brother and sister all along: in a climactic scene from “Return of the Jedi,” when Darth Vader hurls the evil Emperor to his demise on the Death Star, he would now shout “No!” (In all previous versions of “Jedi,” Vader has committed this crucial deed in silence.)

On Wednesday, a press representative for Lucasfilm confirmed that this change will be included in the Blu-ray release, writing in an e-mail: “Yes — Darth says NO.”

Say what you will about Paul McCartney’s later work, but his ear’s still sharp enough that he knows not to go dropping accordions into a new remaster of “Abbey Road.” If GL’s going to go this far, he might as well start adding fart noises to that Vader/Obi Wan lightsaber battle in Episode IV. So reluctant am I to believe this, in fact, that I’m searching for some sort of ulterior motive. Maybe Lucas, ever the master merchandiser, is screwing with the originals in anticipation of releasing the unedited originals on Blu-Ray (or whatever the next cutting-edge medium is) down the line? “Star Wars” fanboys will buy this edited version no matter how bad it is, just so that they have a complete collection. So everyone will grumble now, and then when the unedited originals come out later, everyone will buy those too and there’ll be a new cycle of “wasn’t the original trilogy amazing?” appreciation.

Bottom line: The only good news here is that this guy has some new material.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dear lord. George Lucas can go to h-ll!!!

taney71 on August 31, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Rewatch the South Park episode about this!

exhelodrvr on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Lucas isn’t getting any of my money until he realizes that again.

Yakko77 on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I must admit that I’ll buy his new box set but I swear I feel really dirty doing it. Lucas is the pimp of Star Wars goodies and since the original films the product has gotten worse. It’s like I started with a Grade A hooker and now I’m down to some old lady with one leg and no teeth.

taney71 on August 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I sense a great disturbance in The Force… as though millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror (or in bad imitations of Vader) and then upchucked…

Karl on August 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Bottom line: The only good news here is that this guy has some new material.

This was my thought as I saw the link on the Hot Air home page. I eagerly await his next homicidal review of Star Wars.

rihar on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Lucas is washed up. All he has is this, and if that means tweaking to make money, he’ll do it. I hate to say it, because I like Star Wars. Lucas in this aspect, in my opinion, is basically a one hit wonder.

capejasmine on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I’m with the Red Eye Media take via the Star Wars reviews – this is Lucas’s continued ‘f*ck you’ to the fans of the franchise for not accepting Jar-Jar as a legitimate Star Wars character.

Good Lt on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Granted, Lucas is the man responsible for the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks.

Do not EVEN compare the Ewoks to Jar-Jar.

Caiwyn on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Not going to buy. Heck, I skipped the last two Star Wars movies.

And Han shot first.

rbj on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

The best Star Wars show made in the last 20 years is easily LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace. It’s funny and mock’s Lucas’s characters. I surprised Lucas allowed it to be released.

WashJeff on August 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM

DO NOT WANT!

Ed Driscoll on August 31, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Maybe Lucas is trying to “New Coke” the Star Wars movies. Everyone knows that sales of Coke Classic exceeded the levels that Coke had been selling prior to the release of New Coke.

Yep, I was thinking of New Coke when writing this.

Allahpundit on August 31, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Good God Lucas is a tool.

I’m still buying this set, but there better be a theatrical versions released later.

davek70 on August 31, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Lucas needs to join Obama’s speech writing team.

WashJeff on August 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Turrible. Just turrible.

Mike Honcho on August 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM

God, I hope that’s the case. I’m not buying these, but I’d pay almost any price for the theatrical versions on blu-ray.

Caiwyn on August 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM

NOOOOOO!!!!

itsspideyman on August 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Sing it with me, ladies!

Geek and Gamer girls
We’re unbelievable (Tri-force!)
We all know
That Han shot first (It’s a trap!)

pookysgirl on August 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I maintain that the genius of Star Wars was in Lucas not getting everything the way he wanted it, and everyone else coming up with innovative ways of placating him. Mark Hamel’s “Luke” voice, for instance.

Count to 10 on August 31, 2011 at 5:48 PM

What’s next? The release of the Star Wars Holiday Special?

itsspideyman on August 31, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Some people just don’t know when to leave well enough alone.

GarandFan on August 31, 2011 at 5:49 PM

At this point George Lucas’s tinkering with the Star Wars saga is starting to remind me of some aging Hollywood starlet who keeps hiring cosmetic surgeons to tinker with her face until she ends up destroying whatever good looks she once had.

Aitch748 on August 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM

If nothing else, he hasn’t screwed with the Ewok movies. Of course they are even more forgotten than the Holiday Special but still

Doctor Zhivago on August 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Take it easy on the Ewoks. They were fun, Jar-Jar was a freak, and Lucas fascination with him is creepy.

portlandon on August 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Eh.

I’m a huge star wars nerd and this edit is worse than the original but really it’s not that big of a deal.

gwelf on August 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I think Steyn covers this in After America, a key sign of the impending armageddon is a CGI Jar Jar Binks destroying the Death Star in Episode IV.

mudskipper on August 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

That could actually be funny. :)

irishspy on August 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I just can’t wait for Indiana Jones 5! /s

Oil Can on August 31, 2011 at 5:54 PM

DO NOT WANT!

tneloms on August 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM

First time I ever felt compelled to tell Allah he might owe me a new monitor.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Aitch748 on August 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Meesa ready for me closeup Missa Lucas!

hawkdriver on August 31, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Let’s not forget that Lucas was also instrumental in ruining Indiana Jones with the horrid “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Here’s the deal: Lucas has always been a shlock-master and these movies have always been ham fisted, childish garbage. Not just the last three – all of them. The problem is that a bunch of people saw them at the age of 8 (validated at the time by disco era adults who thought kitschy pseudo sci fi with vague new agy religious connotations and characters with stupid names was cool) and can’t now face the fact that, upon reflection, they worshiped such dreck.

George Lucas, at his soul, hasn’t changed a bit. The people who love his movies simply see his new additions through a different set of eyes from the ones which saw the originals and integrated them into their childhood sub-consciouses.

Long Legged MacDaddy on August 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Count to 10,

Very true. From everything I’ve read, George Lucas’ ex-wife deserves considerable credit for the success of the first two films. She restrained Lucas from taking the franchise in some startlingly bad directions early on.

Mike Honcho on August 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Ed Driscoll on August 31, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Oops, didn’t mean to copy you.

tneloms on August 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Think this is bad?

He could be remaking “Howard the Duck”.

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Get a life! It`s… It`s just a movie! *tips hat to William Shatner. :)

ThePrez on August 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

The tow best movies from the original trilogy - “The Empire Strikes Back” and “The Return of the Jedi” weren’t directed by him, either.

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Think this is bad?

He could be remaking “Howard the Duck”.

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM

that would actually be interesting as the movie sucked but Howard is a kinda cool character in the comics (though DC did the archtype so much better with Ambush Bug)

Doctor Zhivago on August 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM

The Empire Strikes Back was directed by Irvin Kirschner, his former teacher in film at UCLA. IMO, the best of all of them….if they’d quit tickering with it!!!!

(Luke says to R2 after being spit out of the Swamp Monster “You’re lucky you don’t taste good”)

itsspideyman on August 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Rewatch the South Park episode about this!
exhelodrvr on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

git dose britches down

!!!Squeal like a pig!!!

Sonosam on August 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Star Wars is a living document…

Skywise on August 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Get a life! It`s… It`s just a movie! *tips hat to William Shatner. :)

ThePrez on August 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

“Kim, it’s only a movie”

Alfred Hitchcock to Kim Novak on the set of Vertigo.

Long Legged MacDaddy on August 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I’ve never bought a Star Wars movie on any medium before (even though I do love the original trilogy). I’d always just watched a friend’s copy or on TV. But I was seriously considering finally getting myself these nice, crisp Blu-Ray editions.

Nope. No longer. With this new edit (and others — this has simply been the most prominent), you can bet I’m not plunking down a single penny. I’ll go torrent the 2006 DVD versions instead that still have Han shooting first. FU, Lucas.

zauriel on August 31, 2011 at 6:16 PM

It needs more cowbell.

pedestrian on August 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM

The original Star Wars was cool as hell for its time.

Its time was a while ago.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

Lucas, would you do something original again? Or did you shoot you wad completely and have nothing left?

Here’s hoping for the former.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Two questions for Lucas:

What’s wrong with your faaaaace?!

and

Does anybody else smell gin?

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Is R2D2 a union member?

Inquiring minds want to know.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I agree, stupid move, however, many may not realize Lucas isn’t humorless. As long as you meet his conditions he will let you have some fun with it, just as long as he gets his movie check.

TQM38a on August 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Long Legged MacDaddy on August 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

People were wowed at the special effects in the first one, and the Good vs Evil was right for its time.

pedestrian on August 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

As William Shakesman said, “Brevity is the soul of wit.”

In other words, Lucas, quit wasting my time!

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM

What’s next – remaking American Graffiti with John Milner driving a Volt?????

50sGuy on August 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Jumping the Shark

Nuking the Fridge

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Remember “Let it Be … Naked”?

YYZ on August 31, 2011 at 6:27 PM

What’s next – remaking American Graffiti with John Milner driving a Volt?????

50sGuy on August 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM

No, they are going to redo first trilogy with all 11 year old kids.

Oil Can on August 31, 2011 at 6:29 PM

“Next up on Lucas’ rewriting of the saga: the Empire evacuates all non-military personnel on the Death Star in order to avoid unnecessary civilian casualties.” – Rusty Shackleford, PhD, Jawa Report

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I blame James Earl Jones… he needed the $50,000.

leftnomore on August 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM

During the Clinton Presidency, it was changed so Han shot first.

During the Obama Presidency, it was changed so Vader screams Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We can ill afford another Democrat while Lucas lives.

amazingmets on August 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Star Wars is a living document…

Skywise on August 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Clever!

leftnomore on August 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Why stop there? I say replace the John Williams score with jazz or classic rock…perhaps set the scenes of Luke in his landspeeder to “Low Rider.”

Erich66 on August 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM

This raises an interesting question: does anyone pine for an “original” version of the prequel trilogies, and if so, which ones are they?

Because, whereas the original films sat more or less in their original form for twenty years before he started ruining them, Lucas has never really stopped tinkering with the prequels.

Kensington on August 31, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I’m beginning to wonder if Lucas doesn’t have some kind of “Sarah Winchester” thing going on.

tbrosz on August 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM

What’s up with the gratuitous shot at Paul McCartney?

GreenBlade on August 31, 2011 at 6:59 PM

tbrosz on August 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM

If that’s what was going on, he’d be making more movies, not just compulsively tinkering with the old ones.

Kensington on August 31, 2011 at 7:00 PM

What’s next — product placements?

Put a big Coca-Cola billboard on the death star.

scrubjay on August 31, 2011 at 7:02 PM

If Chad Vader gets at least a cameo in the re-edit I’m in.

Lily on August 31, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Maybe Lucas should re-do the dialogue where Leia tells Luke she remembers their mother, the mother who dies giving birth to her and Luke in the prequel.

Disturb the Universe on August 31, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Two questions for Lucas:

What’s wrong with your faaaaace?!

and

Does anybody else smell gin?

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

The Red Letter Media reviews on this should be required viewing for any class dealing with cinema. The one for Avatar is epic too!

Yakko77 on August 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM

The wit. It burns! Good job Allahpundit!

NaCly dog on August 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM

During the Clinton Presidency, it was changed so Han Greedo shot first.

We can ill afford another Democrat while Lucas lives.

amazingmets on August 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Fixed it for you.

Kevin71 on August 31, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Kensington on August 31, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The only thing that made them interesting was the fact the little touches to the originals were a kitchy addition to the movies being re-released in theaters on their 20th anniversary.

It was cool they were re-released. It was awesome being able to take my kids to the movies I saw and loved as a kid.

All the tinkering since though has just been ridiculous.

catmman on August 31, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Disgraceful. Lucas is a pompus ass. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy but I won’t buy any more of this guys crap.

Sooner or later he’ll end up re-releasing it with a new score that gets rid of the John Williams classic in favor of the latest pop band his kids like.

Scrappy on August 31, 2011 at 7:15 PM

It sounds fake to me. Sounds like the same “No” they used in Cloud City when Vader tells Luke he’s his father. If you listen it sounds like a bad patch job by a kid on a Mac…

Cookies Mom on August 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

How about Obi-Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul in Episode I?

Left Coast Right Mind on August 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Hey, the Star Wars canon is a living document, y’know. ;-) And after having milked an incredible amount of green from what was to have been a throwaway idea before he’d go on to make More American Graffiti, ahem, Lucas may be the only person in the world that most conservative SW fans would agree has made enough money.

curved space on August 31, 2011 at 7:27 PM

What is Lucas’s problem? Does the guy have Alzheimer’s or something, or is he just plane stupid? Stop screwing with the films! As my father once said “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Confederate on August 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM

That’s no moon…it’s George Lucas’s ego!

Seriously, someone at the Skywalker Ranch needs to have the cojones to take all the nifty editing toys away from Georgie. He’s ruining Star Wars.

Just stop it already!

englishqueen01 on August 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

It’s just stupid and totally unnecessary. I can’t understand why George Lucas would want to do something as dumb as this.

SoulGlo on August 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Bottom line: The only good news here is that this guy has some new material.

If Lucas were a baseball manager, the front office would make him hire that guy as his bench coach.

Knott Buyinit on August 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I hate George Lucas.

And before any yutzes pull the “Without George Lucas, there would be no Star Wars” crap, you know what? I’d give up the movies not to have to watch them be raped over the last 15 years.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The worst part of this Blu-ray set is that Lucasfilm reportedly didn’t fix almost any of the lightsaber gaffes from the DVDs. And also people are claiming(although this is unconfirmed for now) that the transfers are recycled from that 2004 set. What the hell was the point of this release if Lucas wasn’t gonna at least make sure the video quality was top notch?!

Doughboy on August 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Like Harrison Ford once told him: “You can type this sh!t, but you sure as hell can’t say it!”

CurtZHP on August 31, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Next we’ll learn that Obi Wan is gay.

BobMbx on August 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Ever hear of PalpatineCare?

BobMbx on August 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I pre-ordered this ‘Star Wars Saga’ Blu-ray box set on Amazon.com back in January 2011 when at that time it had an October 2011 release date. It has since been pushed up to September 16, 2011.

During this 9-month waiting period little tidbits of information regarding the box set have been leaked, released, or rumored. It has all managed to add up to little more than a ‘Meh’ from me so far. But now, this! I mean, even the title has always been literally, ‘ Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] (1977) ‘.

Well, Mr. Lucas, in 1977 Yoda was indeed a puppet and Darth Vader did not admonish his lord & master with a ‘NO!‘ as he chucked evil Emperor Palpatine into the reactor core of the Death Star.

This vexes me so. Should I cancel my pre-order in protest or should I just accept yet another fate in life, the likes of which that I cannot control? I did get a pretty good discount pre-ordering so early and Grandma’s Xmas Amazon giftcard reduced my cost another 5 bucks.

Deary me. What to do?

FlatFoot on August 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Do not EVEN compare the Ewoks to Jar-Jar.

Caiwyn on August 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Indeed. At least we got to see some Ewoks die.

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I want him to add “Noooooooo!” to the audio track in the scene where the stormtrooper bumps his head on the door frame in “A New Hope”.

That would be AWESOME!!!

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM

George Lucas needs to stop being a baby and release the original theatrical versions of New Hope, Empire, and ROTJ on Blue Ray.

Save your money and just watch the deleted scenes and extras when they are put on You Tube.

RedRobin145 on August 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM

If anyone wants the original original STAR WARS versions on Betamax videos, I have the first (and really the only) three films in that format.

Before Jar-Jar, before a snarling Yoda, before the younglings in their oversized visor helmets, before Lucas started butchering, there was… Betamax!

Noooooooo!!!!! Yesssssssss!

profitsbeard on August 31, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Long Legged MacDaddy on August 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Wrong. The original Star Wars was about a group of likeable characters on an adventure and finding themselves in a battle of good vs evil. Simple storytelling anyone should be able to appreciate.

The latter movies and the revisions muddy this so that they don’t have any of those things. There are no interesting or likeable characters there are instead CGI cartoons. There is no adventure but instead politics and bureaucracy. Most of the characters are neither good nor evil but just stupid pawns who don’t understand the politics.

Resolute on August 31, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I did not by the dvds, I will not buy the BluRay. I will sit with may age old vhs copy from the early 90s (I don’t actually remember when I got it). When Lucas dies, somebody wanting money will finally release the orignial, theatrical versions on BluRay (or whatever is the most recent format) and the only change will be the picture quality.

I have been waiting for about 15 years, I can wait a little longer.

Pattosensei on August 31, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Who cares? Ridley Scott is prepping Blade Runner 2!!!

John the Libertarian on September 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Actually, that line makes A LOT sense in context and SHOULD have been in the original. I don’t see what the issue is. It echoes Luke’s denial of Vader’s revelation that he’s Luke’s father, and Anakin’s final turn as he buys into Palpatine’s stoy that he killed Padme.

IOW, as a storytelling device, IT WORKS.

I’m a storyteller. I’m always tweaking my tellings as I think of things that make the story better. The difference is, I don’t have legions of now-middle-aged fanboys who once (and perhaps still) fantasized that Leia was their girlfriend (not having actual girlfriends at the time, and perhaps not now). So I don;t get much flack when I tweak my stories to make them better.

Heck SW on BluRay might be the impetus for me to finally spring for a blue-ray player and a big screen.

skydaddy on September 1, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Would it be a bad time to bring up the Kenner modified Boba Fett Action figure that could have fired a missile that children could potentially choke on?

Oh, what could have been.

juanito on September 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Rusty called you Beta Male… lol

Kaptain Amerika on September 1, 2011 at 1:21 AM

skydaddy on September 1, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Go here and listen to the first 48 seconds.

I’m sure your stories are every bit as compelling as GL’s. *snicker*

Splashman on September 1, 2011 at 3:17 AM