Status of Sarah Palin’s Tea Party appearance in Iowa unconfirmed, then reconfirmed

posted at 12:45 pm on August 31, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Rumors swirled this morning that Sarah Palin’s appearance at a Tea Party rally in Indianola, Iowa, was “no longer confirmed,” but the event’s organizers insist she’ll still be there Saturday:

“As far as I know, everything is still a go,” Tea Party of America organizer Charlie Gruschow told POLITICO in an email Wednesday morning, shortly after a report in The Wall Street Journal stated that she had pulled out of the rally on Saturday near Des Moines.

Palin’s trip to Iowa had renewed speculation of a presidential bid, which she’s left open as an option.

Palin had committed to the rally and announced she would attend. But a source close to Palin told the Journal Wednesday that organizers’ “continued lying,” particularly the confusion over whether former Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell would speak at the event, prompted her withdrawal. O’Donnell’s appearance had been cancelled and then put back on the agenda Tuesday night.

Ken Crow, founder of Tea Party for America, took the blame for the confusion, saying he’s “naive when it comes to politics and what you are supposed to say and not say.”

“We made mistakes and now we are fixing them,” Crow told ABC News this morning, after talking to Palin’s people to confirm her appearance. “It’s all good.”

Specifically, Crow called the O’Donnell mixup “a mistake.” ”I didn’t handle it the way I should have,” he said. “I handled it incorrectly.”

Very nice of Crow to call himself naive and reassure supporters that Palin is “a lady of her word and impeccably honest” (as he also did). But it’s also possible the “sources close to the former Alaska governor” who suggested to both the WSJ and RealClearPolitics that Palin was reconsidering her appearance knew a flap like this would generate additional media coverage. It’s also possible Palin really is a little nervous that appearing alongside O’Donnell will tarnish her brand. (O’Donnell, for her part, is doing her best to turn this to her advantage, tweeting that she accepted her re-invitation to speak because she believes in “rising above it,” whatever “it” is.)

No matter the explanation, the calculated chaos is vintage Palin. As WSJ’s Danny Yadron put it, “Ms. Palin is known for last-minute schedule changes that whipsaw supporters and media across the country.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What exactly are you implying here?
kim roy on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Gross overreaction by Palinistas to any and all perceived slights of the woman. An extreme willingness to bring out the long knives against anyone they see as having insulted the woman or who may be a potential rival or threat to her.

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

if you don’t revere their candidate, or agree with them on one issue, they’ll never forgive you. MadisonConservative on August 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM

MC seeks forgiveness. That’s touching, really.

Akzed on August 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Please direct me to where violence has been threatened and/or people have been killed. Thanks.

If you really believe this, then you are no better than the LSM and their trying to attach republicans/conservatives to lynching and the Tucson shooting.

kim roy on August 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Hyberbole much?

Too bad you neglect to mention the equal enthusiasm of her detractors.

Just a few comments up we have someone comparing Palin supporters ot rampaging Muslims and the Mohammed cartoons.

darwin on August 31, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Says the one who rushes to every Palin thread to heap crap on her and her supporters, even when the sources and facts are nothing but crap.

Projection. You can’t make this stuff up folks.

JannyMae on August 31, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Telling word choice?

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I still have not figured out from reading all of this if both Palin and O’Donnell are speaking at this event.

Anyone know?

MississippiMom on August 31, 2011 at 3:01 PM

COD is out again. Apparently, Palin doesn’t want to share the stage with her.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Telling word choice?

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Nice catch. Lately he hasn’t made a real effort to hide his hatred, though.

fossten on August 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM

COD is out again. Apparently, Palin doesn’t want to share the stage with her.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

You know this for a fact, or is it your opinion?

darwin on August 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM

You know this for a fact, or is it your opinion?

darwin on August 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM

According to Ken Crow COD has been uninvited again.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM

It appears that Allah has lost control of his web site just like Ace lost control of his last year. HA used to be witty and current on the issue that was posted for us to comment on. Now it has turned into a poor man’s e-mail for the socially challenged misfits. If you nerds want to insult each other and make stupid remarks try twitter or Facebook. There are so few good conservative web sites left that seem to welcome intelligent thought that it is a shame that some of you are dragging this one down to the Wonkette or Gawker level. Trolls are trolls and we all know to leave them be but when the regulars become trolls towards each other then the end is near. I expect the barrage of stupid name calling that I got from the asshole on Wonkette for blasting his Trig Palin lie, so go ahead and let me have your best shot.

inspectorudy on August 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Anyone know?

MississippiMom on August 31, 2011 at 3:01 PM

This is the latest from C4Palin at 3:06PM today:

Categorized | Palin News
Governor Palin Will Deliver the Keynote Address in Indianola, Iowa on September 3rd at the Tea Party of America Rally at the Indianola Balloon Grounds
Posted on August 31 2011 – 3:06 PM – Posted by: Ian Lazaran

bluefox on August 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM

According to Ken Crow COD has been uninvited again.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM

So she was invited, then uninvited, then reinvited, then reuninvited.

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM

So she was invited, then uninvited, then reinvited, then reuninvited.

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM

A Seinfeld episode in the making.

fossten on August 31, 2011 at 3:46 PM

kim roy on August 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Oh, there hasn’t been. Which is why I didn’t include it. I referenced the fact that Palinistas OVERREACT to perceived insults, I did not state or imply that they overreacted with violence.

I disagree vehemently with you, but c’mon, you’re not savages.

Telling word choice?

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Drat, figured me out again. I’m just a hateful misogynist, yeah?

I COULD have just been using a descriptive noun, but please, by all means, continue onward with the victim / identity politics card. After all, it IS your favorite card in the deck. So very maligned, so very oppressed you are.

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Oh wow, I hadn’t noticed this earlier:

The group has spent about $100,000 on the event for Palin and are thus waiting “with baited breath” for an answer. An official press release will come out after Palin people give Crow final word.

Hilarious. $100k for her? God, now I hope she really does bail, that would be delicious. Goin’ rogue!

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM

And totally bush league. Palin was fine with pushing the witch on DE voters but doesn’t want her anywhere close to her. Bwahaha.

Southernblogger on August 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Drat, figured me out again. I’m just a hateful misogynist, yeah?

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I don’t necessarily think you’re a misogynist. I just enjoy seeing you explode. Also, I don’t think that in the past I’ve ever actually accused anyone of hating on Palin because she’s a woman.

steebo77 on August 31, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Rove and CK come out looking good on this deal..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2011 at 4:20 PM

According to Ken Crow COD has been uninvited again.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM

He’s the idiot that started the whole mess.

idesign on August 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Ya, hilarious. What’s even more hilarious…add 2 more zeros to that and you’ll have the $10,000,000 union goons spent on their losing effort on the recalls in Wisconsin! That just cracks me up!

I hope your losing effort here is costing you nothing but time, cuz that would make me feel sorry for you, bless yer widdle heart.

ornery_independent on August 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM

From the other McCain…

UPDATE 4:25 p.m. ET: Ace ponders the What Were They Thinking questions, but never mind the thinking, it’s the saying that’s the real issue: Why would Crow tell NBC News — the propaganda apparatus of the DNC — about a conflict between Palin and O’Donnell, knowing how harmful such a narrative would be to Palin?

idesign on August 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

From the other McCain…

UPDATE 4:25 p.m. ET: Ace ponders the What Were They Thinking questions, but never mind the thinking, it’s the saying that’s the real issue: Why would Crow tell NBC News — the propaganda apparatus of the DNC — about a conflict between Palin and O’Donnell, knowing how harmful such a narrative would be to Palin?

idesign on August 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Hmmmmm.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Gross overreaction by Palinistas Perry fans to any and all perceived slights of the woman. An extreme willingness to bring out the long knives against anyone they see as having insulted the woman or who may be a potential rival or threat to her him.

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 P

Are you really this blind?

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM

God, now I hope she really does bail, that would be delicious. Goin’ rogue!

Vyce on August 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You are displaying malicious intent here. You tried to bait me with assurance that Perry is the middle ground candidate but you just can’t help giggling at anything that makes Palin look bad.

Perry just slipped off my list. I will not be on your side, ever.

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Perry just slipped off my list. I will not be on your side, ever.

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I know. These Perry supporters would be wise to recognize they’re not doing their candidate any favors.

darwin on August 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM

From RS McCain:

If you read that carefully, you see that Palin’s team was signalling that they’d come to Iowa and do their own event, if they had to, rather than to be jacked around about this Indianola rally.

Exactly. Palin will be there for her fans no matter what, and the organizers are a bunch of preening amateurs.

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM

More from RS McCain…

Crow called the handling of O’Donnell a “mistake.”
“I didn’t handle it the way I should have,” he said. “We handled it incorrectly.”

Well, no duh. But Crow is meanwhile trying to spin this as an “aw shucks we’re just ordinary folks” thing, when Crow is the know-it-all self-promoter who got himself into a position where he’s clearly over his head. So when the WSJ quotes “a person close to” Palin as having ”cited ‘continual lying’ from event organizers,” you maybe able to make a good guess who they’re talking about.

And I think the guy is a Perry supporter…

idesign on August 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM

We should just import the whole post, I suppose.

UPDATE 4:48 p.m. ET: The raw craziness reaches stratospheric levels:

An O’Donnell aide told RCP that the former GOP candidate for senator in Delaware had texted Palin to ask about the rapidly developing situation but had not received a response.
While it is clear that O’Donnell’s proposed speaking slot was not acceptable to Palin’s camp, the Palin aide denied that anyone on the Palin team had explicitly demanded that O’Donnell be removed from the speaker’s list.
Palin’s concern arose, the aide said, when an O’Donnell aide suggested to event organizers that Palin wanted the Delawarean to share the stage with her.
“They haven’t spoken in over a year,” the aide said of the two women.

According to whom did an O’Donnell aide do this?
How did Palin’s aides learn about this? From “event organizers”? Why would Palin’s aide then tell this to a reporter? Does the aide think that making O’Donnell the villain will make Palin look good?

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 5:09 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM

It could be that one of the organizers is a loose cannon, or worse.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM

kim roy on August 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I disagree vehemently with you, but c’mon, you’re not savages.

Perhaps you should stop while you’re ahead.

There’s a big difference between overreacting (which I agree with on occasion) to being threatening and murderous. That’s no better than trying to say Tea Party = lynching and blaming the right for Tucson.

These are tactics that liberals use. Is this what you want to do, too?

kim roy on August 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Looks like RS McCain is chasing his own tail with the story. A whole bunch of he said she said. Sounds like a gossip magazine

KBird on August 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Perry just slipped off my list. I will not be on your side, ever.

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I have a hunch that Vyce isn’t really pro-Perry, either. He/she/it is just pro-whatever bandwagon comes along that might knock Palin to the curb.

ddrintn on August 31, 2011 at 5:32 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2011 at 5:09 PM

molehile meet mountain. sounds like some one is pushing a meme with this story.

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM

It could be that one of the organizers is a loose cannon, or worse.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM

A report said that Ken Crow was a perry supporter. It looks like typical politcal games being done here because they can.

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:37 PM

KBird on August 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM

The entire “Palin has backed out!” story was based on he-said-she-said anonymously sourced gossip. But lots of people, including HotAir bloggers and many HotAir commenters, had no problem running with it anyway.

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

And I think the guy is a Perry supporter…

idesign on August 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM

yeah I think so:

As I jumped in my car yesterday and headed home from work, I immediately recognized the raspy, Texas-seasoned voice coming across Newsradio 1040 WHO. It was Ken Crow, founder of Tea Party of America, the organization sponsoring this weekend’s “Restoring America Event,” which will feature former Alaska Governor and 2008 Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin.

I recognized Crow’s voice because, while attending the Polk County GOP Summer Picnic on Saturday afternoon, I had been approached by Crow who was hoping to arrange a meeting with Texas Governor Rick Perry, a presidential candidate and one of the speakers at the event. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I was at the event as a Perry volunteer, signing people up to receive additional information about the candidate. Crow, apparently not realizing that I was a nobody who has never even met Perry, let alone someone who has any sway whatsoever with his campaign (in fact, I’ve not endorsed any candidate and I was simply there as a favor to a friend), told me he wanted to meet with the Texas Governor and perhaps endorse him in the near future

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

the same people have been doing the same thing for 3 years now.

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I’m beginning to believe one friend’s conspiracy theory that this is all being orchestrated by Rick Perry’s campaign.

you think?

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Is this the report you mean? Where Ken Crow allegedly claimed to be interested in meeting with and possibly endorsing Perry? And where he claims to “know for a fact” that Palin “ain’t gonna run,” yet his organization is promoting her speech as a potential campaign announcement event anyway?

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Heh, sorry unseen, I was typing while you posted that!

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Crow gives this Ziegler/Will Folks vibe. Trying hard to be part of the story.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Heh, sorry unseen, I was typing while you posted that!

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

np. When I first read that article I thought it was made up but after seeing the last 24 hours I see it as a piece to the puzzle and vintage dirty trick politcal games. Sad really.

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Heh…how would Crow know anything about Palin’s intentions?

ddrintn on August 31, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I love Sarah Palin and know that she could make the right decisions

I also like the fact she is not entwined with outside interests unless they were the citizens she serves

I also like her threads since They attract people like bees to honey

I can’t wait till she lights up the scene

Sonosam on August 31, 2011 at 5:57 PM

No matter the explaination Tina will blame Gov Palin. Maybe you should you know tina wait until the facts come out before sharpening your claws?

Care to name some of thes elast minute scheduling changes? the ones that Palin has comitted too?

wait Tina you forgot to say ” I love Gov Palin but” you are slipping and the mask is rapidily coming off.

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Crow gives this Ziegler/Will Folks vibe. Trying hard to be part of the story.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I don’t know if Palin’s running or not, but for someone who’s certainly not going to run she seems awfully concerned about the way this rally is going to be handled.

ddrintn on August 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

COD is out again. Apparently, Palin doesn’t want to share the stage with her.

dedalus on August 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Why would she? She’s damaged goods and her reputation can’t be rehabilitated even if was a good idea to do so. I don’t understand the Tea Party’s stance on insisting COD share Palin’s spotlight in Iowa.

quiz1 on August 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

ddrintn on August 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I think she will present some kind of plan , but she wont declare running yet.

the_nile on August 31, 2011 at 6:08 PM

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

LOL. I’ve been looking for those sites I came across a couple of weeks ago. Found two listed on a Bing search that have been scrubbed. They were about the Founder Ken Crow & Charlie Gruschow.

I may have mentioned this TP group had a couple of previous campaign workers. One was a former Herman Cain worker, but can’t remember the others.

I think this TP group invited COD or at least provided a slot for her. Why I don’t know. I don’t trust them at all and didn’t when I first heard about them.

bluefox on August 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Sarah will be a great power broker this year, if she runs as a candidate and loses, than her “worth” is greatly diminished.
She would be foolish to hop in right now, Perry or Romney would still win the nomination, and she would be “damaged goods”.

right2bright on August 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Perry or Romney would still win the nomination

right2bright on August 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I see no guarantee of that.

ddrintn on August 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM

COD just needs to become governor and quit halfway through.

CW on August 31, 2011 at 7:08 PM

What acts will be they have in the other 2 rings?

MJBrutus on August 31, 2011 at 7:11 PM

SarahPerry will be a great power broker this year, if she runs as a candidate and loses, than herhis “worth” is greatly diminished.
She would be foolish to hopstay in right now, PerryPalin or Romney would still win the nomination, and she would be “damaged goods”.

right2bright on August 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Perry’s a liberal. I don’t mind people having a favorite, but what’s to like about Perry? Is it Al Gore? ACORN? Hillarycare? Big government? Big spending? Big debt? Stimulus money? Public sector jobs? Awarding gov contracts to big donors? Trans-Texas Corridor? Slush funds? Open borders? Amnesty? Perry is for all these things.

MrX on August 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Contradiction Alert.

A. Romney came in third last go ’round in ’08. He ran as a candidate and lost.

B. Losing makes one damaged-goods and “greatly” diminishes “worth”.

C. Romney “would win the nomination in ’12″.

C is inconsistent with A and B unless the meaning of common words is given a wide berth.

The other conclusion is that the damage done in suffering a defeat is not sufficient to preclude someone from winning future elections.

Geochelone on August 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM

unseen on August 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You’re becoming nuttier and nuttier every day.

You-Eh-Vee on August 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM

bluefox on August 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I saw your posts last night…you were right..good work!

tinkerthinker on August 31, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Cite some examples, Tina…

Gohawgs on August 31, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Bachmann attacks Perry

unseen on September 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM

You-Eh-Vee on August 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM

sorry I don’t see the “I love Palin but” here do you?

unseen on September 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM