Peace in our time: Obama to address Congress on jobs the day after GOP debate

posted at 9:55 pm on August 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

Coming soon to a left-wing blog near you: “He caved again.”

And no, I’m not really joking about that. Check out the reactions from liberals Peter Daou and Brian Beutler. So much heart-ache.

Here is a statement from White House Press Secretary Jay Carney:

“Today, the President asked to address the Congress about the need for urgent action on the economic situation facing the American people as soon as Congress returned from recess. Both Houses will be back in session after their August recess on Wednesday, September 7th, so that was the date that was requested. We consulted with the Speaker about that date before the letter was released, but he determined Thursday would work better. The President is focused on the urgent need to create jobs and grow our economy, so he welcomes the opportunity to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8th and challenge our nation’s leaders to start focusing 100% of their attention on doing whatever they can to help the American people.”

What was the plan here? I think maybe O was trying to bait Boehner or some other prominent Republican into getting angry so that he could point to it and run through his tired “adult in the room” shtick. That’s what this speech is about, after all — lecturing Congress in front of a national audience about how everything’s their fault, not his, in hopes that voters remember that next November. It almost worked too, sort of. Ron Paul was “weighing his options” on whether to object to the speech request and DeMint vowed that he’d try to block it in the Senate. Boehner played it the right way, I think, offering a logistical excuse instead of a political one to deny O a chance to whine about Republican obstructionism. As for the liberals whining that he “caved,” what was he supposed to do once Boehner said no to Wednesday? Just show up that night and start talking? Granted, he could have given the address from the Oval Office instead, but (a) that would defeat the key purpose of lecturing Congress to their faces and (b) the fact that he was forced to give the speech from a location he didn’t prefer would have only underscored his weakness. He’s better off accepting the offer for Thursday. Especially since now it gives him the chance to react to any GOP talking points from the debate the night before.

Exit question: Er, who’s going to watch this instead of the Packers/Saints game? Besides you and me, I mean.

Update: A good catch by New Yorker correspondent Ryan Lizza. Note in Carney’s statement that they’re now saying they merely “consulted” with Boehner’s office beforehand. Says Lizza, “‘Cleared’ officially downgraded to ‘consulted.’ So someone at WH anonymously passed along inaccurate information to several journos. Nice.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Besides you and me, I mean.

Speak for yourself, sir. :-)

Hawkins1701 on August 31, 2011 at 9:58 PM

spot on….you can already hear the condescension in his voice, blaming everyone but himself

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Bluff called. Next.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Yeah, the President has been focused on the urgent need to create jobs and grow our economy for a couple of years know. How does Carney say these things with a straight face?

No me. I loathe the man and his speeches.

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Split screen.

CTSherman on August 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM

LOL at the headline.

El_Terrible on August 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM

F a i l

CW on August 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I’ll watch it, but I don’t think I’ll make it through 5 minutes if I play the Obama drinking game.

Doughboy on August 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Heads are exploding…

tinkerthinker on August 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Boehner won this one going away.

I hate the Packers and I’ll still watch the Packers/Saints game over this.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Does this mean King Barry will spend the first 10 minutes of his speech thrashing Boehner?

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

NO, I will never believe that. Never..ever, will I believe that an anonymous source would deliberately, or even accidentally pass along inaccurate information to mislead a journalist…

Never…well, on second thought, it could happen, I guess. Maybe.

Skandia Recluse on August 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I’ll wait for your recap, AP. I wouldn’t watch Bambi speak even if it was the only thing on. Unless he was going to resign. Then, I’d watch.

BacaDog on August 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

If its on at the same time as the NFL, the NFL gets my TV set. I’ll check in here in between commercials.

El_Terrible on August 31, 2011 at 10:04 PM

The DUmmie FUnnies already have a post about this. It includes lots of comments from the Democrat Underground. I only wish it were longer.

rihar on August 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I haven’t watched football in years, sooooooo looking forward to the packers/saints game!

tinkerthinker on August 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

No me. I loathe the man and his speeches.

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I just plain loathe the man.

chai on August 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Saints vs. Packers at Lambeau, or President IWon vs. America?

This is not a hard decision.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM

H+

(New Epic Fail Grading System)

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Oh this will be delicious if he tries. It will make his “speech” appropriately rambling, off-topic, and defensive.

This guy’s semi-competent handlers and advisers must be tearing their hair out at the WH. I’ll bet they all come out of there as bald as the First Eggplant is, under her wigs.

RushBaby on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Special Ed is having a seizure over it. LOL! The spittle is flying tonight!

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

It won’t be… they’re working it out so there won’t be a conflict…

Romney and Perry need to up their game(look at Huntsman putting out plans now)… and Bachmann needs to not say anything stupid like promising $2 a gallon gas…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Preview: blah blah blah uh new 1.5 trillion dollar stimulus plan blah blah uh uh inherited from Bush blah blah me me me uh uh uh uh me me blah blah uh high-speed rail, me me me, blah blah uh green jobs, blah blah blah blah taxing the rich, uh blather blather blather uh blah.

I’ve got the 9/11 GWB interview from Discoery Channel…. I think I’ll watch that again.

maineconservative on August 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

So the WH did lie.

Joe Wilson is right again.

Sorry, AP, you’re on your own with this one. I’ll read about it after the fact.

Does he really think at this point anyone will believe a word he says? Or that he would actually do something helpful like say, call off the EPA?

INC on August 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I am watching the NFL opening with the Saints/Packers or whatever college game they show. They couldn’t pay me to watch Obama lecture the Congress.

Obama blinked — now he should fire the idiot press secretary for his arrogance today in comparing the GOP candidates to the Wildlife Channel. What a classless, mean person. Even his comments about Nancy Reagan were bad. Jay Carney is the worst press secretary ever and probably the nastiest to any opponents. He is not we behind the ears buts wants everyone to hang onto his every word. If a Republican would have given his comments, the Obama media would have demanded they resign or be fired immediately.

PhiKapMom on August 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Do the members of Congress have to show? I mean, maybe they want to watch the game, too. Who wants to sit there and get scolded?

DrStock on August 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

more like the entire speech every so subtley…

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM

We already know what the excuse-maker-in-chief is going to expel from his over-hyped piehole.

On the other hand, the Saints/Packers game could go either way.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I totally love Boehner’s face on the picture for this post.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Try this:

(1) He caved.
(2) He is juvenile, peutlant, arrogant, and a raging narcissist.
(3) He and/or his staff are incompetent boobs.

Didn’t he want to try to be “Reaganesque” at one pint recently? Well, Ronald Reagan regularly spoke from the Oval Office directly to the
people in order to go around Congress.

This miscalculation will earn him the enmity of all Green Bay and New Orleans fan in the country.

Clearly, this guy just wants to re-live — possibly — the Doric-columned grandeur of his nomination speech. He is all about pomp.

The War Planner on August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

It’s too late for the speech.

Obama shirked his duty when he went on vacay…now no one wants to hear his speech. They know it. What better way to garner attention than to address the congress in this manner.

tinkerthinker on August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Saints in Green Bat to open the season? They have a chance. Sure they will fare better in early September in Lambert Field than in, say, December.

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I hope it is on at the same time as the game. That means absolutely no one will be watching Chairman Obama

The Notorious G.O.P on August 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Oops, Green Bay.

Sorry, Cheeseheads.

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Allah, I’ll watch it with you if you bring the beer :)

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM

That’s a big fat lie.

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM

It won’t be… they’re working it out so there won’t be a conflict…

Oh man, I hope they do that. Then no one will watch him AND he won’t have an excuse.

Missy on August 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

just switched over for a few minutes HILARIOUS!!!

looking forward to the mika grump tomorrow am…

tee hee

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Do you know who is happy Obama bungled up his schedule? Uncle Omar…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Bastards and lies.

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

That’s a big fat lie.

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Yeah more like we tried to paint Boehner into a corner, take away from the debate and the interest in and am shocked we didn’t get our way.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Think he will come up with something big…like the New Deal? WPA? CCC?

d1carter on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

That may backfire big time as well. If he uses a joint session of Congress to essentially issue his rebuttal to a GOP primary debate, then it’ll be hard to take the “let’s move beyond politics as usual” position. The best thing he could do is ignore the GOP debates all together. It allows him to actually be the President rather than campaign for President. And right now being the President is all Obama’s got going for him.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Folded like a lawn chair. This is getting better all the time. It isn’t our guys doing the folding.

Mirimichi on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Except that NBC won’t be happy that Obama bigfooting the opening night of football. NBC, who has been O’s lapdog, deserves being treated like a dog by Obama. Bwahahahaha!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Nothing like a free campaign speech, by the way.

Seriously, aren’t there some rules that should be kicking in soon about how often the incumbent gets to do this kind of thing for free?

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

“This is the most EGREGIOUS act of disrespect!!”

MSNBC is pure comedy

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

RT @michaelscherer: Pres Obama, who intends to reassert his strong leadership abilities, will now play 2nd fiddle to the Saints/Packers….

Well put RT @mkhammer: The WH is very disappointed that the GOP won’t put the president’s very important playing of politics above politics.

INC on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

THIS.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Think he will come up with something big…like the New Deal? WPA? CCC?

d1carter on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I thought he was going to refurbish school buildings or somethings stupid like that.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Bluff called. Next.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Payback’s a b!tch!

singlemalt 18 on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

rihar on August 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

That’s an earlier story. DUmmie Funnies posted that before this latest development.

I’m sure if you go over there right now it’s pretty funny.

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Obama’s had three years to ‘be’ the President; what makes you think he’ll start now?

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Sam Stein of the Huffington Post:

White House official says “We won’t conflict with football” with Thursday speech, meaning early time frame

The president has now planned his big economic speech around a Republican debate and a football game.

I’m actually embarrassed for the guy.

amerpundit on August 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM

LOL at Special Ed: “He’s up against the previous two winners of the SuperBowl. Gee, I hope the country will pay attention. (frown)”

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Master OJesus will not be pleased!!!

PappyD61 on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

amerpundit on August 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Don’t be. He’s learning a lesson now that he should have learned as a child.

INC on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I’m actually embarrassed for the guy.

amerpundit on August 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM

So is he going to speak during dinner time?

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

you know he will double down on stupid, if he can do it with scotus in the front row, he has no problem bashing the gop in their faces…he did it with healthcare already

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Check out the headlines and photo on HuffPo.

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

So, they supposedly consulted with the Speaker, he determined the date didn’t work so they released the letter asking for Wednesday anyway? That makes no sense. They are lying through their teeth.

jnelchef on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Midas on August 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Heh. Good point. What I should’ve said was, he can continue pretending to be President instead of overtly campaigning for the Presidency. Thank you for reminding me that it’s all about how you blow the smoke and hold the mirrors.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

the gop is destroying this country (paraphrase)

too funny, the heads exploding on that channel…

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Associated Press depressed…

Obama bows to Boehner on jobs speechThe president agrees to deliver an economic address on Sept. 8 after the House speaker objected to the original plan.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Wish obambi had to fall back on a white house address

He wants the loaded gun of the repubs not going along

They should stand and cheer the speech like the deems and throw them off

Too bad they won’t

audiotom on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Check out the headlines and photo on HuffPo.

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

SNORT :)

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

So when is His Majesty going to start “bending the arc” of healthcare costs?

Oh, I forgot. Now EVERYONE is saying that Oboobycare is going to COST tons of money. My bad. He did bend the arc, alright.

Thanks, President Organizer. What’s your next magic trick?

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

So is he going to speak during dinner time?

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

If he were smart, he’d do his speech after the football game when everyone’s drunk.

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

No doubt you’re right on that.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Special Ed is having a seizure over it. LOL! The spittle is flying tonight!

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Special Ed is bad, but that Papantonio guy is a complete psycho. He was just on there ranting and screaming, then claimed that the Republicans were acting colicky and childish.

And watching further…wow, Schultz is a complete moron, still claiming that it was the GOP that held up the FAA bill. I guess his audience isn’t much smarter than he is.

PetecminMd on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

If Obama was smart he would have the camera follow him into the entertainment room & then watch the game with the rest of the country, muting the commercials to give his speech, and then muting himself when the game was back on.

That would be hilarious and effective.

batterup on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

now cnn is saying the wh said they would have gone straight to thursday if the speaker said so in the first place…huh???

the WH and the lsm are PATHETIC

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Let me be crystal clear. You, AP, and God love you, have our six and will be watching the Obama blathering on our behalf and will report on his stunning new programs and pronouncements. You, sir, are a patriot for your dedication to duty in this regard and much respected for same.

The rest of us, for the most part, will have your six and be viewing the big game and report here on same, not out of desire, but out of our collective duty as well.

As you listen to his address, however, stay away from the bathtub and your hair dryer. They don’t mix real well.

TXUS on August 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Knucklehead on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

That might be his best shot.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

“This is the most EGREGIOUS act of disrespect!!”

MSNBC is pure comedy

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM

This whole line of argument — “You WILL respect dear leader” — that we get from the left all the time is incredibly disturbing to me. I hate to use the “F” word, but they really are fascists. If they could criminalize criticism of Obama, they would. They absolutely would. I mean, who the hell are these people all the time ordering us to “respect” the president? They certainly aren’t Americans. I’ve been around a long time, and I do not remember ever being ordered so constantly to “respect” a politician before. Disturbing. Very disturbing. But also good to know. It is good to know how they feel about liberty…and tyranny.

Rational Thought on August 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Check out the headlines and photo on HuffPo.

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Bahahahahaha. The comments are just as priceless.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

double *snort*

LOLOLOLOLOL

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Spite pfiss in our time.

Dhuka on August 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

it doesn’t matter, they’re still going to vote for the maroon….

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

the WH and the lsm are PATHETIC

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

That’s pathetic even for them.

They got caught pulling a stunt and now they are trying to save face.

gophergirl on August 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Geaux Saints

barnone on August 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Check out the headlines and photo on HuffPo.

Marcus on August 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

At least AOL is going to have to seel HuffPo back to the DNC.

Let me get this straight, they are getting the vapors because of a 1 day delay of a speech that isn’t going to be given until a week from now? After 0Bama went on vacation?

pedestrian on August 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Um, no. NFL > Terrible POTUS giving entirely predictable speech.

sammypants on August 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Ha, ha, ha, … good one sir.

Most of congress will watching the streaming video of the game on their cell phones as Obama drones on and on …

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

ok, those huffpo comments are just too funny…

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

batterup on August 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

People either love the commercials or use them for bathroom breaks, so that won’t work. 0 will have to work his speech into the game commentary.

pedestrian on August 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM

GEAUX, SAINTS! (Our QB coach is Joe Lombardi.) Looking forward to an epic season opener against the Pack.

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Moving it to Thursday is just Bambi’s way of getting back at the Packers.

Sore loser.

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

GEAUX, SAINTS! (Our QB coach is Joe Lombardi.)

Christien on August 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Big deal. Our intercessor is Saint Vince.

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Well I used to boycott NBC’s pregame show because of Keithy so it’s going to seem like old times.

jjshaka on August 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Rational Thought on August 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

nevermind the CONSTANT disrespect W received for 8 years….compared to their 8 years, we are pussycats…

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

The Pack
Is back
And Ojesus
Lost his sack

Hut, hut!

On the other hand, the GOPers may well have been better off letting Jugears go first. This way, his speech-writers get a chance to rebut some of the (R)’s talking points. (Not that anyone will give a damn after his dismal performance these last 21 months.)

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Chuck Todd:

Gotten lots of Qs about what time POTUS speech would be Thurs. night 9/8; Am told WH/Boehner working on a time that won’t conflict w/NFL

amerpundit on August 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

test

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

31 months, duh.

hillbillyjim on August 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Rational Thought on August 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

nevermind the 8 years of CONSTANT disrespect given to W…it’s like they have amnesia or something

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

HUFFPOST SUPER USER
foneric
84 Fans
12 seconds ago (10:26 PM)
Un freaking believable­. It’s almost like he’s winging it, there is no direction and no leadership­.

Lol

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Rational Thought on August 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Exactly!

carbon_footprint on August 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Don’t see what diff a day will make. Barry wasted about 10 after announcing ‘he had a plan’.

GarandFan on August 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

PackerBronco on August 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

lots of them with one ear bud in place

cmsinaz on August 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM