Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama has headed home from his vacation. That means, according to his promise, Obama will have a jobs-bill proposal to publish and send to Congress. The nation can’t wait to see it.

Except that, er … we’ve been waiting a year.  In August 2010, Obama told NBC’s Brian Williams that he’d have a plan just as soon as he got back to work:

BRIAN WILLIAMS: Let’s talk about another topic that’s part of the firmament here and everywhere. And that’s the economy. The New York Times said this weekend, “President Obama has another new plan on the economy. Now would be a good time to find out about it.” Do you have anything new on the economy? And while you’ve been away, we had a horrible GDP number last month.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, look, we — we anticipated that the recovery was slowing. The economy is still growing, but it’s not growing as fast as it needs to. I’ve got things right now in — before Congress that we should move immediately. And I’ve said so before I went on vacation, and I’ll keep on saying when I — now that I’m back. We should be passing legislation that helps small businesses get credit, that eliminates capitalgains taxes so that they have more incentive to invest right now.

There are a whole host of measures we could take, no single element of which is a magic bullet but cumulatively can start continuing to build momentum for the recovery. But look, the — this was the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, and the worst recession since the Great Depression. And so, what we know is that we are going to have to slowly, steadily build confidence. Push more investment out there. Target areas like clean energy that we know are going to be be growth areas in the future.

Look at how we’re doing our infrastructure, so that we can maximize the amount of jobs that are created. So, there — there are a range of steps that I hope we can get bipartisan support for. But right now, we’re still — we’re in the season, political season, which means that for the next two months there’s going to be be constantly a contest in the minds of Members of Congress. And my Republican friends in Congress, between doing what the country needs and what they think may be advantageous in the — in terms of short term politics.

Wow — a summer with a “horrible” GDP number, reminders of the Great Depression, and more vacuous talk about “infrastructure.”  This really is deja vu!

Comments

We’ve already dejaed this vu.

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 30, 2011 at 8:07 AM

SCOAMF

gwelf on August 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Laser-like focus.

kingsjester on August 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Because he’s had a laser-like focus on creating jobs for the last 3 years.

/s

MJBrutus on August 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

and so we will hear the exact same speech next week on jobs….

NOTHING new, just blame the gop

bloody word for word isn’t it…

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Odamna: I’d rather owe you forever, than ever cheat you out of it.

We are being led by a Yo Gabba Gabba Prez.

Sheesh.

Crusader Rabbit on August 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

The (Carter) recession that Reagan got us out of was worse.
But Obama’s policies have made this the longest-lasting sluggish economy since the Depression.

itsnotaboutme on August 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

country before politics
right now
infrastructure spending

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

This slacker makes Spicolli look like a real hard charger.

darwin-t on August 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Goundhog day!

txag92 on August 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

“Now that I’m back.” Almost forgot you weren’t on vacation, huh, Barry?

RDE2010 on August 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

In August 2010, Obama told NBC’s Brian Williams that he’d have a plan just as soon as he got back to work.

The sole conclusion we can reach, based on all available evidence, is that he hasn’t worked for an entire year. And yet he got paid. Imagine that!

ya2daup on August 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

“Just Words”

Gwillie on August 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

DOTUS……that simple.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Ø sez: “I have new ideas! No, really, hear me out, don’t be so negative and obstructionist! Listen, if you can’t understand and accept my decisions, It will still be your fault for … not listening to me!”

ExpressoBold on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Obama has had a jobs-bill proposal in place for awhile.

Clothiers, caterers, and hoteliers are doing quite well, thanks to Michelle.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Goundhog day!

txag92 on August 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Except that in the movie, each repeated day got a little better than the last.

horatio on August 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM

He’s created a real mess. Unfortunately it’s a mess for all of us.

Drained Brain on August 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM

cumulatively can start continuing to build momentum for the recovery

How do you “start” continuing?

Either you continue… or you stop.

Am I wrong or is the man a carnival barker?

golfmann on August 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM

country before politics
right now
infrastructure spending

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

And vacations before everything else.

mizflame98 on August 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM

cumulatively can start continuing to build momentum for the recovery

How do you “start” continuing?

Either you continue… or you stop.

Am I wrong or is the man a carnival barker?

golfmann on August 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Soon he’ll come to a “complete stop”…

horatio on August 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM

He’s gonna need a bigger Memory Hole.

Naturally Curly on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Will this fool ever say something original. It’s like reading idesign’s comments over and over.

katy the mean old lady on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

mizflame98 on August 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM

yepper

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I read this in a book, the name of which escapes me, but not the quote.

“An artist of misdirection as sure as any thimblerigger shifting his three shells and one wizened pea.”

Obama in a nutshell.

herm2416 on August 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM

He’s gonna need a bigger Memory Hole.

Naturally Curly on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

He’ll just start hiding things behind his ears.

darwin-t on August 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM

ExpressoBold on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Why is BO always the only adult in the room? /s

herm2416 on August 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM

“Present.”

visions on August 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Deja moo - same old bull sh!t, different year.

Yoop on August 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Wow…On the bright side, it looks like the excuses will run out in two months. (oh, who am I kidding?)

And, at least now we’ve identified two reasons that one might have to disagree with the President: one could either be a racist or a Republican being contrarian for the sake of short term politics. There is apparently absolutely no other good reason anyone could could reach a different conclusion about the way things work than he.

BlueCollarAstronaut on August 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM

firmament? Was this part of the Obama “god” complex?

Was this O’s new, detailed plan on jobs and the economy that he’s presenting Sept. 05?

katablog.com on August 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Actually if Brian Williams had interviewed Uncle Omar in MA he would have likely received clearer direction for the American people. In fact I believe uncle Omar would do better in the White House than his long lost and inept nephew.

wepeople on August 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Hey, let’s create an Infrastructure Bank to create jobs with green projects that the obstructionist GOP House would block. Just think, the Bank could fund high speed rail, recharging stations at gas stations, more wind farm subsidies, smart grid and household energy monitoring systems, commercial and residential building weatherization, blah blah blah

Infrastructure Bank? No frikkin way.

petefrt on August 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

He’s created a real mess. Unfortunately it’s a mess for all of us.

Drained Brain on August 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM

We’re in a repression.Call it what it is.

docflash on August 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Give him a chance ED he still hasn’t got back to work.

chemman on August 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

wepeople on August 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Yes! Just for fun, how about a thread on Uncle Omar and Aunt Zeituni.

petefrt on August 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

This really is deja vu!

Oh just you wait for his “jobs” plan…he’ll be upchucking deja vu all over the place.

jbh45 on August 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

We’re in a repression.Call it what it is.

docflash on August 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

A repression….

This, I am gonna steal! :)

golfmann on August 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Seriously, can anyone understand what this man is trying to say? The first excuse for a sentence seems to imply that Congress will be thinking about the elections over everything else, but the second “sentence” isn’t; it’s merely a clause looking for a home. (Typical for the man, read Early Obama Letter Confirms Inability to Write. He obviously writes exactly the way he speaks, i.e. badly.) Even if you grant it sentence status, what does he think the republicans are doing? Though he states that they are doing what the country needs, which is an amazing admission considering who is making it.

LibraryGryffon on August 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I meant to add that this sort of thing really makes me miss W even more. For all his verbal fumbles, you always knew exactly what he meant.

LibraryGryffon on August 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

He must have fired his speech writer, as part of a cost cutting measure to be sure, because he’s had nothing new to say since the election. I read a really good article yesterday at AT which exposes his definite lack of writing skills. Surely, all of the media can’t be such hard core leftists that they can’t see how inept this man really is at expressing his thoughts.

Kissmygrits on August 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Seriously, can anyone understand what this man is trying to say?

Sure. He’s saying: “I won”. BTW, don’t end a sentence with “badly” when you want to talk grammar.

katablog.com on August 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Why not? Haven’t you listened to or read the media? They certainly don’t show great grammar skills!

katablog.com on August 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM

This is your brain on drugs.

Connie on August 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM

We should be passing legislation that helps small businesses get credit, that eliminates capital gains taxes so that they have more incentive to invest right now.

Why didn’t you do that when you controlled the W.H., House of Reps and Senate?

Buy Danish on August 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Well it’s the first thing he thinks about, when he wakes up. It’s the last thing he thinks about, before going to sleep. Isn’t that enough, people? I mean….c’mon. The poor guy is on overload just thinking about it.

If that’s not sacrasm, I don’t know what is. lol

Man this guy just knows which buttons to push, to tick me off!!!

capejasmine on August 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM

He will not rest until the economy is finished…he stayed awake the entire vacation, each year.

Alden Pyle on August 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM

ya2daup on August 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

What, he’s in the postal union?

OldEnglish on August 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Obama has had a jobs-bill proposal in place for awhile.

Clothiers, caterers, and hoteliers are doing quite well, thanks to Michelle.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

You forgot her staff. Twenty some go-phers is a sizeable payroll.

a capella on August 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM

katablog.com on August 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

What?! He talks quickly…He speaks poorly…He performs badly.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Yes! Just for fun, how about a thread on Uncle Omar and Aunt Zeituni.

petefrt on August 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Sounds like an upcoming Fox sitcom.

Oldnuke on August 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Look, I know that Obama’s performance on this issue is as bad as a bucket of cold wolfe piss, but gee wizz folks, his intentions were good.. I think….. Ok, OKAY!! He doesn’t give a damn about the economy or jobs, unless its jobs for union cronies who feed him laundered stimulus money for his re-election campaign. But, gosh darn it, what’s he gonna do? I mean, he’s gotta have that to do cause he doesn’t want to go hang with Mooshelle. Poor guy….. LOL!

44Magnum on August 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Infrastructure? Please.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM

He’s gonna need a bigger Memory Hole.

Naturally Curly on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

He’ll just start hiding things behind his ears.

darwin-t on August 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM

The real reason that he left Marxist Vineyard is because in extreme winds his ears can start flapping like a flag does, and if they achieve a resonant frequency he could be seriously injured.

slickwillie2001 on August 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Except that in the movie, each repeated day got a little better than the last.

horatio on August 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM

That’s because after a while Bill Murray eventually learned that one has to actually try and care to make life meaningful.

RDE2010 on August 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM

katablog.com on August 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Isn’t that a split infinitive?

RDE2010 on August 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I believe Obama already told us (paraphrased):

I’m going on vacation. While I’m gone, you all need to get to work and do something about jobs!!! It’s a crisis!!! I’m tired of waiting!!!

Surely that was good enough. Now he actually has to provide a plan?!?!

tom on August 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Is this when he was saying “help small businesses get credit” so they can make payroll?

“cumulatively can start continuing” Seriously if I didn’t know who said this I would assume this person if functionally illiterate.

Okay champ one year later, when exactly, do you plan on starting this slow, steady confidence building thing?

Look at how we’re doing our infrastructure,

Errrrrr, infrastructure? Ya mean all those “shovel ready jobs”?

Ahhhhhh, ya mean ya want people to pretend that you know what your talking about despite the obvious “The Emperor has no clothes!”?

On the bright side ABC Brian Williams is going to do a hard hitting in-depth report on just what was accomplished from this interview last year till today!

DSchoen on August 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Ed, James Taranto picked up your deja vu story — nice job.

Uncledave on September 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM