Glenn Beck: Rick Perry’s “God moment” leads me to believe he’s the real deal

posted at 3:25 pm on August 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Rick Perry roared into the presidential race to great acclaim, but he hasn’t exactly been without detractors. His entrance has inspired a rhetorical war about what it means to “vet” candidates and about whether conservatives should vet their own or leave it to the MSM to do that dirty work, as they undoubtedly will.

Multimedia powerhouse Glenn Beck weighed in on that debate this week, saying sources he trusts implicitly have convinced him Rick Perry had a come-to-Jesus moment at some point in his governorship and the problematic Perry of past years has given way to Rick “the Real Deal” Perry, a conservative’s conservative. The Right Scoop reports:

Glenn Beck and his beloved sidekick Pat Gray, who used to live in Texas, recently had a conversation with some people very close to Rick Perry with regard to their concerns about him as a candidate. These are people who Beck, without divulging their identities, says that he trusts and that if he could tell you who they were it would only add credibility to their words. What they told him was that in the last four years Rick Perry has had a God-moment:

Beck: Here’s what I was told and I believe these people because they’re not just bandwagon fans by any stretch of the imagination. … And they said to me ‘Here’s the thing. This guy had a God-moment, if you will, an awakening of something inside of him.’ … I mean he’s always been a spiritual guy but he has had something that has changed in him fundamentally where he’s like ‘OK, wait a minute. Hang on just a second. Do I believe this or not? Do I apply this or not?’ And that’s what’s happened to him in the last four years that has put his feet in cement.

Beck said his words weren’t an endorsement of Perry, but were meant as push-back to concerns about Perry as a candidate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OH I can hear the Christianist’s heads exploding! But Beck doesnt pray to our Jesus! But he believes Perry’s God’s guy! But Beck doesnt believe in our God! POW! brains all over the room. Feel free to comment meatheadinca and portlandon and hondav65

drballard on August 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM

How about me? First of all, your suppositions are baseless. I’ll tell you that I’m a Bible-thumping, hard right, independent fundamental Baptist. Beck being a Mormon means to me that he follows some doctrines with which I disagree, and hold as non-Biblical. That’s all I’ll say about that.

But when I listen to Beck, and I do, I recognize that the things he speaks about are universal. He doesn’t get into theology, doesn’t discuss doctrine, isn’t interested in bringing his religion to others. He is interested in people recognizing larger truths which have, by and large, been discarded by the societal elites, including media, politicians, and the intelligentsia. It is foolishness to discard the truths Beck speaks because there isn’t a perfect alignment between our belief systems. Who then shall I listen to? Rush? He makes a loose claim to Christianity, but too many of his actions don’t follow suit. Beck has turned his life around in many ways, and his fruit bears the truth of his words.

The “God moment”, as told to him by his sources, means that Gov. Perry has had a foundational realization that accountability exists at all levels of behavior, and has therefore chosen to define certain principles as immutable, which he previously may well have been willing to compromise or entirely ignore. This sort of realization in a person’s life brings improved integrity, honor, and fidelity to those with whom they come in contact. It doesn’t make them perfect; in fact it is almost always a harsh epiphany of the extent of one’s imperfection which begins such a change of heart. But it does usually make one less prone to dishonesty and deceit.

Now, if someone whom Glenn Beck trusts makes this claim on behalf of Gov. Perry, please explain to me how Beck’s Mormonism is supposed to make me disbelieve or disapprove of this, or cause me to be confused or discomfited?

Freelancer on August 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Perry’s a little long-in-the-tooth for this kind of late awakening to reality that Beck finds so compelling.

To me Rick looks like a Glengarry Glen Ross booster of mediocre building lots, but still: ~ABO.

profitsbeard on August 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM

AH_C on August 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I’m guessing you meant “NADA” in that sentence, AH_C, but I rather like it the way it is.

By the process of free association, it evokes for me a new NASA mission: making Mormons feel good about their contributions to science.

Meanwhile, thanks to Tina for bringing this to our attention.

J.E. Dyer on August 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You’re right about the typo. Android autocorrect drives me nuts.
Bottomline, I’m giving Perry a closer look to see if his “come to Jesus” moment aligns credibly with my principles. If so, his past is forgiven and I’ll gladly pull for him twice.

AH_C on August 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Perry is tolerated but not celebrated here in Texas. Not sure why people outside the state is being hoodwinked.

V-rod on August 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Freelancer on August 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

+1000

AH_C on August 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Beck being a Mormon means to me that he follows some doctrines with which I disagree, and hold as non-Biblical. … He doesn’t get into theology, doesn’t discuss doctrine,

I have nothing against Beck… in fact, I generally agree with most of his political opinions, although I don’t give much truck in general for “politcal pundits/commentators” or talk show hosts.

However, the issue regarding Beck’s approval of Perry’s “God moment” IS INDEED theological. And NO genuine Christian should be interested one way or another regarding a Mormon’s approval of someone’s theological beliefs.

I am not going to bother ripping into Mormonism. But it is decidedly NOT any form of Christianity, and its views on God and Jesus Christ are not compatible with Christianity.

So, I am not interested in knocking Beck, but his opinions on religion and God aren’t really relevant at all to any Bible believing Christians. (as opposed to the numbers of cultural “christians” who fill the pews on holidays and never bother to crack open a Bible)

It appears to me that so many in the Republican party are interested in ignoring Perry’s serious faults (e.g. Muslim arse-kissing) in order to come up with the perfect RINO candidate in the next election. If this keeps up, we will have another weak McCain II candidate, resulting in another 4 years with a leftist/socialist President in the WH.

I seriously don’t think this country could survive that.

StephenDvd on August 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM

StephenDvd on August 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM

There was nothing theological about Glenn’s statement in regards to Perry, except to those who have a chip on their shoulder.

Oh, I’m not going to bother ripping into your anti-Mormonism, but find it hilarious that despite your claim of not bothering to rip into the Mormon faith you decided to declare yourself the judge of who is a Christian and who isn’t, but from one Bible believing Christian to another I will leave you with just a verse Matthew 7:21-23.

Here is the thing….united we stand divided we fall…I’m not asking you to accept my faith, rather we should recognize certain principles that we can stand on…because there is no time for civil war between people of faith; unless your faith dictates you do evil acts I don’t care to whom or to what you pray to. There are two churches, the church of the devil and the church of God…and the devil’s church is communism, socialism, or any ism that fights against God.

Conservative Voice on August 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Using the Lord’s name for political purposes leads me to believe Beck and Perry are both jackasses.

borntoraisehogs on August 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM

borntoraisehogs on August 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Beck is running for office? All he said was Perry recognized that he will be held accountable to God someday…how horrible, oh the humanity!!

And as far as Perry is concerned, I will let God decide if Perry is practicing priest-craft or if Perry is sincere.

Conservative Voice on August 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM