Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on August 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘I don’t see Islam as our enemy,’ Paul said. ‘I see that motivation is occupation and those who hate us and would like to kill us, they are motivated by our invasion of their land, the support of their dictators that they hate.’…

“‘After 9/11, (people said) ‘Oh yeah, it’s those very bad people who hate us,’ but 15 of (the hijackers) came from Saudi Arabia,’ said Paul. ‘One of the reasons they attacked us, is we propped up this Sharia government and the fundamentalists hated us for it.’…

“Paul cited a University of Chicago professor, Robert Pape, whose research argues that most of the suicide terrorism in the past 30 years was caused by military occupation. Pape’s research, funded by the Defense Department, shows that suicide bombings in Afghanistan went up one third after the Obama administration surged 30,000 troops into the country.

“‘(9/11) was one of the main motivations for getting your attention on why they hate us and want to kill us,’ he said. ‘You could send 20 million people over there and all it would do is make our problems worse.’”

***
“‘To imply that we were the catalyst of the attack on 9/11 disparages the memory of those who lost their lives on that tragic day and is an insult to who we are as a people,’ said Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator. ‘Congressman Paul’s understanding of the enemy and why they have attacked us is shockingly misguided.’…

“‘Congressman Paul needs to realize that they hate us not for what we do, but for who we are. The terrorist attacks on 9/11 were not the first they executed against this country and, by our enemy’s own words, won’t be the last,’ he said. ‘The Congressman seems to see the enemy through the spectrum of nations, and not what it is – a radical movement founded within Islam that wants to destroy Western Civilization.’”

***

***
Via the Shark Tank.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yet, members of Arab states have inflicted more damage on us than Portugal has in … uh, hundreds of years?

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Portugal is more of a threat to our national security than Arabia. At least they could put together a Navy (if their defense wasn’t guaranteed by Uncle Sam).

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Keep talking. As long as Turkey maintains the DP, they are never getting in to the EU.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Let’s be clear. I never claimed they would get in the EU. What was I pointing out? Oh, yeah, that in fact, Turkey has European land.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:23 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I’m not sure how impressive a Portuguese navy would be at this point; however, I will be concerned when Roman Catholic Portuguese nationals start flying planes into buildings because of the US Military Industrial Complex that is defending them…

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Why do I think that JohnGalt23 in 1939 would have been “not worried” about the Holocaust, which was, of course, an “internal German matter”?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Because you’re wise enough to know that the Holocaust, as policy, didn’t exist until the Wansee Conference in 1942?

Of course, you and I both know that Adolf Hitler could have gone on every newsreel worldwide, and started personally beheading every Jew in Germany, and this nation (nor any other nation in Europe, I suspect) would not have gone to war with them. Just like we didn’t stop the Turks from killing all those Armenians… because it was an internal matter.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Liberty for me but not for thee?

I get that JG doesn’t want to invade violent Portugal, but at what point can he at least admit they are run by an aggressive ideology – oh, wait, they aren’t Arab!

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Are Montenegro and Serbia “part of Europe”? How about Macedonia, Moldova and Liechtenstein? Croatia? Bosnia and Herzegovina? Because none of those countries are in the EU, but they’re all very much “European.”

Turkey is in the Council of Europe. Has been since 1949, in fact.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Man, you’re all over the place. I thought we were only supposed to talk about the good things the non-Arab-peaceful-enlightened-Muslim-Turks-that-live-completely-in-Asia people did in the name of maybe-sort-of-internal-policies-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-personal-liberty.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I guess no one really died during Kristallnacht, because the Wannsee conference hadn’t happened yet. People starving in the streets of the Warsaw and Lodz ghetto? Psh! Dream on! Pre-Wannsee, Jews and Nazis were thick as thieves.

But then Eichmann and Hess got bad food poisoning from a knish in 1942, and it was ON.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM

I’m getting the impression that you only like to promote and talk about “good” Muslims when it suits you.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:16 AM

I rarely talk about “good Muslims”. What I talk about are parts of the world that are civilized, and parts that are basket cases. I talk about nation-states, in balance-of-power concerns, and how they differ from sub-state actors who, while capable of engaging in acts of terror, pose no more threat to the United States as a geo-political entity than do many of the corporations traded on our own stock exchanges. Yes, I believe Microsoft stands a bigger chance of bringing this nation down, should she so choose, than does anything coming out of Arabia.

And I talk about how to deal with any such threats, existential or otherwise, in realistic terms. Whatever problems with Arabia or Islam, or both, are not going to be solved by putting armies over there. It’s really expensive. The locals really don’t like it. And it’s like going after mosquitos with a sledgehammer.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Liberty for me but not for thee?

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Liberty begins at home. They want liberty… try translating Locke’s Second Discourse into Arabic. That will do a lot more for them than anything putting troops there has done.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Well, JG23, it’s a shame that the USA had to intervene in a manner of purely German interest.

If only we hadn’t, right JG23? Then your idol Ron Paul could proceed with the rEVOLution, undaunted by the Rothschilds and the Five Jew Bankers and the Bildebergs and the Bohemian Grove and the Freemasons and the Illuminati and the Trilateral Commission. Did I miss any of the shadowy (Jooooooooish) boogiemen covertly preventing Lord Paul from becoming POTUS?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Jews died in pogroms across Europe, all the time of this nation’s history. And not once did we go to war with any of them over it.

And once again, Hitler could have have run non-stop televised executions of Jews, live from the stadium in Nuremburg, and nobody would have gone to war to stop him.

And you know it.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Did we? I seem to recall we didn’t intervene on behalf of the Jews, or anyone else, until Germany declared war on us.

Hardly an internal matter at that point.

Shall I really go through all the slaughters that occured in our history, that went down on the front page of the NYT, that we did nothing about? Up to and including present day?

Please.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM

And you know it.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Hey, how about I borrow your bad joke:

Who should I believe, Henry Morgenthau or JohnGalt23?

Hmm…..

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM

It’s a good thing Microsoft hasn’t made the choice of taking us down like Islamic terrorists have. That would mean, Microsoft is NOT our enemy.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:39 AM

I never said anything about putting armies in Arabia or occupying Islamic countries. In fact, all I’m trying to prove is that Islam, at the very best, having a hostile opinion of freedom and liberty. I do consider Islam as an ideological movement something that is against American freedom.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Remember when Microsoft killed 3,000 American citizens in the biggest terror attack ever on US soil?

Yup, I remember Dubya with his bullhorn, standing on the rubble: “I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And Bill Gates will hear all of us soon!”

The great Windows ME massacre of 2001, they called it. Then we started a war in Redmond, which eventually led to our controversial invasion of Silicon Valley on suspicion of WMDs.

That’s what we’re talking about, right?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:57 AM

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM

I see someone is having trouble distinguishing between “Islam” and “Islamic terrorists”.

Because, contrary to every argument you’ve tried to put forth, there is a difference.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Again, I have never said we should put troops in Turkey. I have merely pointed out that Turkey, despite a strong campaign against radical Islam, is still struggling to live up to an acceptable standard of liberty.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM

You’ve yet to separate the two.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM

That’s what we’re talking about, right?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 2:57 AM

I’m sorry… did that bring this nation down as a geo-political entity?

Of course it didn’t. What it did was cause some people to be scared like children, willing to sell their liberty, not to mention this nation’s fiscal health, down the river.

They’re pirates. Treat them as such.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:01 AM

You’ve yet to separate the two.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM

And there you have it. By being born into Islam, one assumes the burden of guilt.

Nice way of “thinking” there.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Nice way of “thinking” there.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:02 AM

No, John, we’ll go with your route. By being born into an Arab family, one is most likely backwards and uncivilized.

You really needn’t feign shock at my absolute bigotry . I get it. How dare I point out the negatives, question Dr Ron’s lack of ignorance, demolish your points, point out your double standards, and so on. Shame on me!

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Please.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM

And how about the ones we did do something about?

Or are you going to argue that every military action taken by the USA post-WW2 was solely out of self interest, without any humanitarian concerns?

JG23, do you agree with the following two statements?

1. The USA should respect national sovereignty, and should never engage in overseas military action unless it is a direct, measured response to a foreign act of war/declaration of war. No preemptive strikes, no sphere-of-influence jockeying, no humanitarian missions to prevent genocide/Democide. Purely defense of the homeland and, when needed, quick retaliation to aggressive acts.

2. If the USA removed all of their foreign bases and brought all of our troops home, we would never again suffer another attack like 9/11.

Or, as an addendum to #2, do we also need to cut off all monetary foreign aid that is allocated militarily?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM

In case anyone is late for the show, here’s where JohnGalt praises the wonderful non-enemies in Arabia.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:07 AM

You really needn’t feign shock at my absolute bigotry .

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM

No feignt involved.

Nor shock, really.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:08 AM

No feignt involved.

Nor shock, really.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Oh, lordie. I believe I’ve inflicted more harm on JohnGalt23 than a single Muslim has on the entire United States of America!

I get it now. I’M the enemy. It’s not Islam. Islam is peaceful so long as you ignore the Arab Muslims and the internal policies of certain Muslim nations.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:10 AM

I’m sorry… did that bring this nation down as a geo-political entity?

They’re pirates. Treat them as such.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:01 AM

I’m sorry….did Microsoft bring down this nation as a geo-political entity?

Way to set extremely broad goalposts, by the way. If Iran managed to nuke every state between Nevada and Mississippi, it wouldn’t “bring down this nation as a geo-political entity.”

But no, let’s not worry about the people that shout from the minaret that they want nothing more than to kill us. Let’s worry about…Microsoft. Our country’s greatest threat.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Let me be perfectly clear… the Arab, Islamic world is, for the most part, the among the least civilized places on the face of the Earth.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM

The hate. The bigotry. Surely, JohnGalt’s account was hacked!

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Microsoft. Our country’s greatest threat.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I think what we really need to do is make sure Bill Gates converts to Islam … just to neutralize the threat.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM

They’re pirates. Treat them as such.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Kill them extra-judicially wherever we find them?

But according to Lord Paul, all that does is create more terrorists. Invariably we will bomb an orphanage, or napalm the cute puppy dog and kitty cat village, and voila, we have spawned a whole new generation of terrorists. And thus the game begins again with the extra-judicial killing.

But when you said “treat them like pirates” I guess you really meant “ignore them and let them rebuild their infrastructure for a later attack so that we can focus on the grave Microsoft threat.”

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:16 AM

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM

I can’t wait for all the new features in Windows 8 once Bill converts!

If the computer identifies you as a female between the ages of 16 and 85 and you do a Google search for high heels, a thong or a microskirt, the computer stones you to death for being a decadent Western whore.

Maybe a Zyklon B dispenser for anyone who looks up where to get the best bagels in town?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM

And how about the ones we did do something about?

Exactly which ones did we do something about?

Cambodia? Nope.

Rwanda? Nope.

Cultural Revolution? Nope.

Armenians? Nope.

The one I can think of that comes to mind was Yugoslavia. And boy, did the GOP pitch a fit (quite rightly, IMHO) when Clinton did this.

JG23, do you agree with the following two statements?

I largely agree with that. Heading off an imminent attack, I’m all right with granting leeway to, but afterwards, either declare war or engage in diplomacy. And if war, no measured responses. Fight to win, and go home.

Of course not. Any more than I could guarantee you that some wacked-out Christian Identitist won’t pull off another OKC bombing. Death worshippers will do what death worshippers will do.

What I will say is that were we to extricate ourselves from the ME, and left them to their own sorry devices, those death worshippers would likely direct their efforts at their own corrupt governments, rather than the force they blame (with some justification) of propping up those crime families posing as governments.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Ron Paul needs a little history lesson.

“From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli”. The opening of the Marine Corp anthem. We’ve been fighting radical Islam since the founding of this nation and the Europeans long before that. PAUL NUTS! Santorum is correct.

oldwino on August 30, 2011 at 3:22 AM

The hate. The bigotry. Surely, JohnGalt’s account was hacked!

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Coming from someone who indicted 1/5 of the entire planet as terrorists, that means something.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM

I can’t wait for all the new features in Windows 8 once Bill converts!

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:20 AM

I just say we need to put the Macs in Burqas NOW!

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I guess no one was dying in Somalia prior to the Battle of Mogadishu?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:20 AM

You really do live in fear of thse people, don’t you?

And this is what conservatism has come to…

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM

I guess no one was dying in Somalia prior to the Battle of Mogadishu?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Put a stop to that, did we?

Man, I guess you really can’t believe what you read in the press.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Still, no response of substance. I know, I’m a hater because I dare suggest that Islam as an ideology promotes aggression (often in the form of terrorism) but somehow it’s OK for Dr Ron’s supporters to believe Arabs (and not Muslims) are the reason we see high levels of aggression from Muslims.

Oh, wait! Hey, look! A PC running Windows!!! Gahhhhh

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM

oldwino on August 30, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Jefferson and Madison were just rubes who unwittingly created more terrorists.

Clearly, Jefferson and Madison didn’t known the intent of the founders the way that St. RONPAUL does.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM

No… you’re a bigot, because you equate “Islam”, with “Islamic terrorism”.

That’s pretty much bigotry, plain and simple.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM

No… you’re a bigot, because you equate “Islam”, with “Islamic terrorism”.

That’s pretty much bigotry, plain and simple.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM

I’m no more a bigot than you are. Do I see Islam as a threat? Yes. The same goes for Socialism and Communism. Does that ALSO make me a bigot. What would Dr Ron say about that? And as for you, you’re a downright racist if I’m a bigot – of course, is that a surprise from a Ron Paul supporter?

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Put a stop to that, did we?

Man, I guess you really can’t believe what you read in the press.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Poor execution suddenly means it didn’t happen?

Also see:

Also keep in mind that any future peacekeeping efforts by the UNSC rely very heavily on the USA.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:34 AM

I’m no more a bigot than you are.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Of course you’re not.

Of course.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:35 AM

OK, time for bed. Gotta get some rest so I can fight the non-Muslim-Arabs-controlling-Microsoft or something.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Of course you’re not.

Of course.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Goodnight, John. Try not to rationalize your way out of this, and please no more far fetched claims, strawmen, or goal post moving. It’s just not that honest in an attempt at debate.

MeatHeadinCA on August 30, 2011 at 3:37 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:21 AM

And there’s your problem, JG. Well, yours and St. High Executioner RONPAUL’s.

Islam is a religion that by design leads many adherents to “death worship”/terrorism/violence.

Christianity isn’t. McVeigh was just one man. McVeigh didn’t blow up the Murrah Building because he saw the Virgin Mary in his Fruit Loops, or because the Bible told him to, or because Jesus spoke to him in a dream. He did it as retaliation for Ruby Ridge/Waco.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Poor execution suddenly means it didn’t happen?

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Fair enough. You did say intervene. You said nothing about successfully.

I thought it was well understood, but may be that was just me.

Gonna start holding up UN actions as raging successes of US foreign policy? Always a good position to take… if you happen to be Adlai Stevenson.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:39 AM

You really do live in fear of thse people, don’t you?

And this is what conservatism has come to…

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Yeah, we should bring conservatism back to its Reaganesque roots of isolationism….or something?

There’s a reason you and yours are called paleocons, JG.

Luckily, most conservatives are smart enough not to buy Grand Messiah/High Exalted Leader RONPAUL’s snake oil.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Gonna start holding up UN actions as raging successes of US foreign policy?

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:39 AM

No, simply pointing out that the UNSC isn’t going anywhere, and that they can’t even tie their shoes without the USA being the tip of the spear.

Look, I don’t have all the answers, and I agree, there’s too much suffering and death in the world. We can’t stop all of it; it’s too expensive, we don’t have the manpower, and it’s always a delicate situation when you’re intervening overseas, even if it’s done in the cause of preventing genocide on a massive scale. I don’t know who deserves our help and who doesn’t. I don’t know how you decide where to intervene and where to keep out of it. Amount of death/suffering occurring? Relative Geo-Political importance of the affected area (still need a bit of realpolitik, even in humanitarian cases)? It is, both fortunately and unfortunately, not my decision to make.

That doesn’t mean I think we should sit on our hands while tyrants slaughter their people, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 3:38 AM

“Many adherents”? How big was AQ at its height? 10k? 20k? Out of 1 billion Muslims worldwide, that is hardly “many”. Most Muslims don’t give a damn about jihad, and most are far more conserned with putting food on the table than Death to America.

And McVeigh wasn’t just one man. However many people there were involved, there were others, including one in prison right now. He was part of an organization. I’m not sure we’ll ever be absolutely sure what that organization’s goals are/were, but I think it’s reasonable to assume there was a commonality of purpose amongst those conspirators, be it religious, political, or other.

And no matter the policy you follow, you can never guarantee that someone won’t see terror as a tactic worth using in furtherance of those goals.

But since you brought up Ruby Ridge/Waco… if this government really started laying down the wood,to where Waco was a routine event, where federal law enforcement had a hand in hundreds of people dying in spectacular fashion every year, do you really think there wouldn’t be an upswing in domestic terrorism, done by Christians or otherwise? And knowing that, might you want to at least consider policiesa designed to minimize it?

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Sure, but it wouldn’t be religiously motivated.

See, in “Islamic terrorism,” you see “Islamic” as merely incidental. You seem to think that if all these backwater uncivilized Arabs with a bone to pick against our interventionist policies were Jains or Sikhs or Cao Dai or Taoists, the results would be the same.

That’s where we part company.

For someone who accuses others of intellectual incuriosity, you don’t seem to be very well versed in the actual precepts of Islam, not the sanitized “Religion of Peace” nonsense.

Furthermore, let’s not pretend that AQ are the only group of Muslims blowing **** up. Even if we accept that most Muslims aren’t jihadists, what percentage are realistically terrorists/sympathizers? 10%? 15%?

What is the percentage of terrorist/terrorist sympathizing Catholics? Jews? Hindus? Is it anywhere near 10%? Is it even 1%?

You ascribe that prevalence to their Arabian heritage, or at least Arabian geo-politics. I’m never going to convince you that you’re mistaken, because you’re very confident in your conclusion.

I just wish you’d show a bit of intellectual curiosity when it comes to the nitty gritty details of real, genuine, no bull**** Islam, because it’s not at all comparable with Roman Catholicism or Judaism or Mormonism or any other canard you’d like to use as a contrast.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 4:05 AM

newsflash for all the neocons on this board: the wars aren’t being fought over “liberty” or self-defense or anything like that. They’re being fought to cause chaos in the world and make certain people rich at the expense of the American soldier’s lives.

Libya is the perfect example. We’re propping up Al Qaeda because Ghadaffi was being mean to international oil companies. If you think for one second this has anything to do with humanitarian reasons stated, you are hopelessly dense and naive.

Wake up.

bingsha on August 30, 2011 at 4:12 AM

bingsha on August 30, 2011 at 4:12 AM

But of course. Everything is done for the benefit of America’s shadowy puppetmasters, namely the Bildebergs, the Illuminati, and the Juice.

Puke.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on August 30, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Sure, but it wouldn’t be religiously motivated.

Who cares whether it is religiously motivated? You asked whether US pullback would stop any more 9/11′s. Clearly doing so would remove an obvious rallying cry for jihadist recruitment. But it won’t stop someone absolutley bent from trying, whether out of religious fervor, political payback, or a scam to short airline stocks.

Yeah, but who else has global reach (the only kind a theoretical Fortress America would need to worry about). There’s some clearly associated with Israel (which is a discussion for another thread). There’s Hezbollah, but they are doing Iran’s bidding, and at least for now are doing so regionally. There’s a bunch associated with Pakistan, but once again everything appears to be regional. Are there others likely to strike the US that I don’t know about?

Really? 100-150 million terrorist/sympathizers?

If that were the case, the House of Saud would have a half-life of a week. The US would have to have a police state just to keep them from coming across the southern border 50k at a time, each wearing suicide vests. Of course, with those numbers, they would have taken over Mexico easily, so customs wouldn’t be an issue.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 4:34 AM

JG, do a search for “Hezbollah in Mexico”…Then look for Hezbollah/Iran in Venezuela…Then look for the same in South America…

Gohawgs on August 30, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Paul is senile at best. Rand needs to dress this nut down good.
But what DOES Rand think about his nutty father?

Sherman1864 on August 30, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Good Solid B-Plus

It certainly isn’t being done in the best interest of America.

In Libya America has blood on its hands. But who cares so long as we get to murder some more foreigners who we’ll never meet and therefore don’t matter.

Conservatives who don’t trust the govt. when it comes to domestic matters, yet trust it 110% when it comes to murdering foreigners are just making politics team sports for adults. The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

bingsha on August 30, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Score Card Update: John Galt23 —- 3 1/2 points
MeatHeadinCA—- 25 points
GoodSolid BPlus–25 points

betsyz on August 30, 2011 at 5:33 AM

bingsha on August 30, 2011 at 5:31 AM

OMG

betsyz on August 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Come on warhawks, let’s just get it over with an invade Iran right now. We’re already over there so it’ll save us on gas!

Notorious GOP on August 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Ron Paul sounds like Rosie O’Donnell.

Notorious GOP on August 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM

The thing about ridiculous comments like this is that it is impossible to say what side it comes from…the Paulbot neo nazi right or the anti American left…they both have far more in common with each other than they do with the rest of us.

I do not want to invade Iran, but by the same token, this idea that the only reason those people hate us is that we are meanies who pick on them is utterly ridiculous. Ron Paul likes to flap his gums about the 1953 coup in Iran..well that was the cold war. You know what else was going on in 1953? The Communists Chinese were killing people in the tens of millions and the Soviets were bearing down Europe and Asia while they killed tens of millions at home in the gulags. We were ending a conflict in Korea that had cost America 38,000 young men. That was the world in 1953. Maybe it is time Iran moved on..after all since then the mullahs have taken our embassy, kidnapped our people, paid for and helped arrange the murder of hundreds of American Marines in Lebanon, mined the Persian Gulf in the Iran/Iraq war and supported terrorists all over the world. They have been killing our people in Iraq and Afghanistan..along with whoever happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And they have never ceased to wish death upon the entire country of Israel. So excuse me, if I do not see them as victims.

Terrye on August 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Terrye on August 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM

So we stopped propping up dictators in 1953?

I don’t see them as victims, I see them as terrorists who want to kill us. At the same token, there’s no reason we should still be over there or Afghanistan. We’re going to be over there forever and we’re going to consistently invade countries every time they fart.

Get ready to gird your loins as our government will need the money.

Notorious GOP on August 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM

So we stopped propping up dictators in 1953?

Get ready to gird your loins as our government will need the money.

Notorious GOP on August 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Actually, Ron Paul likes dictators. After all, look how pissy he gets when we send them packing. That is the problem with people like Paul, if we just let bygones be bygones and support whatever dictator or stong man happens to be running the place in the hopes that we can all just get along..well that makes him mad…but if we refuse to support the dictator, or heaven forbid remove said dictator when he keeps shooting at our planes or whatever Ron Paul and the lefties get pissy about that too. Their solution? Build a wall around the United States and make the world go away.

Terrye on August 30, 2011 at 7:05 AM

ronnie, ronnie, ronnie

catch a clue buddy…

wow, just wow

cmsinaz on August 30, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Yes, Ron. That was a bunch of Southern Baptists that slaughtered 3,000 innocents on 9/11. Idjit.

kingsjester on August 30, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Really? 100-150 million terrorist/sympathizers?

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Saudi grade schools and TV teaches children that Jews are apes and pigs, and that it is a great honor to blow oneself up whilst killing Americans and Jews.

So, yeah.

fossten on August 30, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Islam is a phony religion dreamed up by a murdering extortionist and pedophile. I have no problem with that. All people should be free to believe what they choose. But it’s what is done in the name of Islam that is evil. We can’t and shouldn’t kill Islam, but we should kill Islamo-fascist terrorists much faster and without remorse. Their intent is to kill us or subjugate us as dictated in the Koran. I just can’t get over the numbers of people in this country who would be OK with that in the name of “tolerance”. The days of being safe behind oceans or mountains or large walls is long past, Ron. There really is a time for proactive justifiable homicide.

Extrafishy on August 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM

No they don’t.

There is a gigantic gap in your theory. The desire for personal liberty was born out of the Reformation and the Enlightenment. Liberty is married to the idea of individualism which does not exist in Islam.

If we replaced the entire Congress, SCOTUS and the administration with randomly chosen Muslims, the Constitution would disappear in a week. Islam and individualism are mutually exclusive concepts.

mankai on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Paul is bleeping nutty on The Middle East.

Someone ask him if Israel is a criminal regime or even has the right to ANY LAND on the Middle East.

Is he a Jew Hater?

PappyD61 on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

No they don’t.

mankai on August 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

THIS. Every country dominated by Islam is locked down. It’s a malevolent society ruled by a dictatorial religion.

fossten on August 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM

If the problem was merely a military problem, the terrorists would attack military targets… but they target civilians. The Polish and French undergrounds didn’t go around blowing up German daycare centers as a rule… and they certainly didn’t believe that by killing German babies they’d be rewarded by their god.

Islam is not fighting a military conflict, but a holy war… you cannot compare what Islam produces with what the Polish underground produced.

mankai on August 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Simply ask this question:

Do you believe that in the 21st Century America is an Empire?

Brian1972 on August 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Except that a ‘Christian Identitist’ didn’t pull off the OKC bombing. McVeigh was raised Catholic but by the time of OKC identified as an atheist.
Something similar could probably be said for Nichols.
If you’re gonna be a shill for Paul…at least try to get some of your facts straight.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Allen West needs to punk him on this HIstorical and Moral Stupidity, he’s famously done this already against Leftist.

after displaying Paul and his leftist friends for the stupidity they expose with actual history going back to the 7th century, you could hit him where it hurts citing his Austrian economics and ask him some Austrian history, like say what happened at Vienna.

jp on August 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

what happened at Vienna.

jp on August 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Of course you must mean The Gates of Vienna.

Somebody even named their blog that.

Must have been a big deal. :)

Brian1972 on August 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

This is why they “hate us”

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.

Gen 3:15-16”

and history from the time Muhammed himself started and command Jihad against Christians, Jews and Western Civilization by first taking the Middle Eastern lands by Jihad….to today with tons in between.

jp on August 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I asked once why we were attacked on 9/11 and the answer was…the only times that the world has know peace is when the muslims have been beaten down…!!!!????

tinkerthinker on August 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

That would be mostly impossible…

right2bright on August 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM
That would be mostly impossible…

right2bright on August 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Heh. And apparently, at least with this Ron Paul supporter, he must attack anyone personally who calls Paul an idiot. I never said anything about JG23 personally, but apparently calling Saint Ron Paul of Lake Jackson an idiot who needs to retire is a mortal sin in PaulWorld. Just sayin.’

NathanG on August 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

No… you’re a bigot, because you equate “Islam”, with “Islamic terrorism”.

That’s pretty much bigotry, plain and simple.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM

It is hard to separate Islam/Muslim ideology from Islamic terrorism ideology in action. Islam’s Holy Book is where the ideology began, the Islamic terrorists are just putting their faith in action. Enlighten yourself on the Islamic ideology and read the Koran. The good and faithful Muslims are the terrorists. Islamic terrorists are following their Holy Book and their top prophet.

IowaWoman on August 30, 2011 at 10:44 AM

OMG

betsyz on August 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Now there’s the type of insightful retort I’ve come to expect from the steroid-addled Right.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

jp on August 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Alan West needs to hike up the skirt, and put a declaration of war resolution before the House for a vote.

Or admit that he is a one-trick blowhole who ought to admit he can do nothing but spew, no pun intended, hot air.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Something similar could probably be said for Nichols.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

An Accurate Look at Timothy McVeigh’s Beliefs

There is no doubt that Timothy McVeigh was deeply influenced by the Christian Identity movement.

There’s my proof. Now, where’s yours?

Oh, that’s right. I forgot. Evidence doesn’t matter in the sphere of the steroid-addled Right. All that matters is killing off Teh Filthy Moozies.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Wake up.

bingsha on August 30, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Wha. . . Wha. . . what? Obama’s “kenetic military action” is a neocon operation???? Really!!!!

Obama is a neocon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WOW! Who knew.

Bingsha, you’re a complete and utter tool.

————————

JohnGalt — are you still trying to play this game.

Your boy PAUL is unelectable because of the profoundly bigoted and stupid writings in his newsletter.

Additionally, despite what you want us to believe and what Paul wants to ignore:

THE UNITED STATES HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN FOREIGN MILITARY CONFLICT OVERSEAS EVERY SINGLE YEAR SINCE IT’S FOUNDING UNTIL TODAY.

Paul’s claims are ignorant fantasy with regard to foreign policy, as are yours. Additionally, Paul’s knowledge of history as demonstrated by his speeches on the campaign stump is seriously lacking.

I think Dr. Paul has it right on a few matters of financial policy, but when he turns to foreign of military policy, the wheels fall off the bus right as it goes off the cliff.

Additionally JG, you’ve proved yourself repeatedly in this thread and in others to be nothing more than a troll. With every commenter you move the goalposts, introduce red herrings and set uip strawmen.

We get it, you’re a Paul guy and you want to deny all relevant and historical evidence to make Pauls points. Unfortunately, PAUL is irrelevant in Presidential politics besides being a crank that the MSM can support to make the GOP look bad and siphon support away from candidates who actually are eligible to be public to be President. Paul is not.

If by some strange media miracle, Paul were to get the nomination, his newsletters would be quoted on the front page of every major newspapers with some of these very accurate headlines:

“Ron Paul supports Klansman David Duke”
“Ron Paul says MLK had sexual tryst with young boys”
“Ron Paul says Jews may be responsible for WTC bombing”

All would be perfectly accurate headlines. That would merely be the beginning though. The newsletters are some of the most bigoted and vile writings from a national politician in this century.

Paul is a joke on the national stage. I actually feel sorry for him at times, even more so for his undereducated fans but not those like JG who either ignore or deny his past and current beliefs.

Jason Coleman on August 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

There’s my proof. Now, where’s yours?

That’s PROOF! You’re a silly little person.

Firstly. This “proof” is based on 2 statements from McVeigh:

Time: Are you religious?

McVeigh: I was raised Catholic. I was confirmed Catholic (received the sacrament of confirmation). Through my military years, I sort of lost touch with the religion. I never really picked it up, however I do maintain core beliefs.

Time: Do you believe in God?

McVeigh: I do believe in a God, yes. But that’s as far as I want to discuss. If I get too detailed on some things that are personal like that, it gives people an easier way [to] alienate themselves from me and that’s all they are looking for now.

From this quote the statement “Timothy McVeigh was deeply influenced by the Christian Identity movement”

In fact, the statement about Christian Identity is actually DENIED by the quotes used.

McVeigh NEVER talks of himself as a Christian, only that he was raised Catholic and still as SOME of the core beliefs. None of those HAVE to be about the Christ and his supposed divinity.

McVeigh stated unequivocably:

To many newspapers – “I am an agnostic.”
To the authors of American Terrorist – “I not believe in Hell. . . or Heaven.”

The fantasy boogeyman “Christian Identity” of McVeigh is the creation of a fevered mind unwilling to look at his actual motivations which he himself has provided:

The administration has said that Iraq has no right to stockpile chemical or biological weapons (“weapons of mass destruction”) – mainly because they have used them in the past.
Well, if that’s the standard by which these matters are decided, then the U.S. is the nation that set the precedent. The U.S. has stockpiled these same weapons (and more) for over 40 years. The U.S. claims that this was done for deterrent purposes during the “Cold War” with the Soviet Union. Why, then is it invalid for Iraq to claim the same reason (deterrence) — with respect to Iraq’s (real) war with and the continued threat of, its neighbor Iran?
If Saddam is such a demon and people are calling for war crimes charges and trials against him and his nation, why do we not hear the same cry for blood directed at those responsible for even greater amounts of “mass destruction” — like those responsible and involved in dropping bombs on the cities mentioned above.
The truth is, the U.S. has set the standard when it comes to the stockpiling and use of weapons of mass destruction.[94]

McVeigh was NOT a Christian, therefore ascribing “Christian Identity” motivation is absurd.

Jason Coleman on August 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Apparently, someone failed to learn as a youngster that just because you yell something false, doesn’t add to its truthfulness.

So, every year since our founding? Well, you might want to tell your colleagues on the steroid-addled Right to stop blaming American isolationism for WWII then.

Seriously, do you ever think before hitting the “Submit” button?

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Jason Coleman on August 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Once again, I know it is difficult for children to accept this, but it is bad form for one to question an opponent’s sources, without providing some of your own.

Of course, I’m willing to bet that good form and manners never were your strong suit, Jason.

JohnGalt23 on August 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM

“I can provide all types of sources indicating McVeigh was in bed with Christian Identitists, up to his presence at Elohim City.”

I’ll be happy to respond with all types of sources indicating McVeigh was “in bed with” Islamists.

I can also provide evidence that Stalin was “in bed with” Hitler. Doesn’t mean Stalin was a Nazi, nor that Hitler was a Communist.

What McVeigh was NOT was a Christian.

As for pre-WW2 Isolationism.

Is there a particular year you would like to challenge?????

I typed it in all caps to make it stand out, it obviously worked. Now would you care to pick a year to challenge????

Jason Coleman on August 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Firstly I used your “source” which in and of itself was greatly flawed and did not use the evidence it presented to support it’s own conclusion in a logical matter. In fact, the Ethics Daily source was about as flawed as one could get with regard to this matter.

McVeigh presented the “I am an agnostic” line to a number of newspapers.

BUT, I gave you a source, American Terrorist, it’s a book. You know, those things with real actual pages. It’s the definitive work on McVeigh the authors had more access to McVeigh than any other civilian source.

I guess if you can’t bother to read Paul’s newsletters, trying to point you at a book was folly on my part.

I claimed my sources quite effectively, thank you. If you want more on American Terrorist, go ahead and buy the book, here’s a link.

Jason Coleman on August 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Don’t make JG think too much, Jason.

He’s not going to come out of his worldview of excusing the 9/11 attacks/murders or justifying other acts (probably all acts) of terror.

The only terror actor in his worldview is the United States. The only terrorists are Americans – particlularly those who disagree with Herr Doktor.

catmman on August 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Ron Paul is right, and yet wrong.

Does having troops over there help recruit terrorists? Yes.

Would there be increase in terrorist recruitment even without any troops over there? Yes

V-rod on August 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Ron Paul does not understand about the spoils of war….much less why we go to war. Can’t give him my vote.

psychocyber on August 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM